[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

15 hours ago, Chellsee said:

tvN twitter update with official stills. :wub:

I love IU's hair in this scene but why is it when I do something like it I end up looking like I just woke up/didn't take a bath for days?

Edited by Ais1ing
Please do not quote images
  • Like 4
  • LOL 3

I'm really disappointed that the drama is having a huge pressure from Korean netizens to not have a romance line between the two leads. Especially with the fact that what got me into the drama was the peculiarity of IU and Lee Sun Kyun's couple. There's something interesting and attracting, that makes you want to see them together on screen. Other than that, I feel like the original script included their romance and production team was forced into changing some things and that's never a good thing for a drama....

Hope all those unnecessary demands won't mess up to deliver the message which was intended from the start, the drama is very promising

• Like 15

Reading about age gap here. I think age gap does bother me sometimes when it is clearly just an older guy who has everything who happens to meet the cute very young perky girl who adds zest to his life. Yeech, just turns me off. But this storyline is very different. We see a man in a bad marriage,  who is the financial support of his whole family, and who is very expert in his field and very honest, and hard working but overlooked or doesn't know how to play the game, so he is passed over at work and even pushed aside by others.   He doesn't even know yet, that his college junior who is now CEO, is also having an affair with his wife. What a loser!  Finally in a desperate moment he goes bad, and thinks he can make some easy money, Poof! it is all a trap and he is caught.  People with good karma are caught as as soon as they go wrong, actually sign of a good person.   

She is very young only around 20.  From what we know, she is in huge debt to loan sharks. We don't know why but know she says she "killed a person".   The loan shark stalks her and beats her up and even sees it as an oppty to put her in jail when he learns the money is stolen. He has it in for her perhaps because of the persons she killed. We don't know yet what happened.  We also know she is in such dire straights she sneaks her grandma out of the nursing home she can't afford to pay and is willing to steal money. She is hugely resourceful.  Sneaking out grandma,  getting lights turned off to steal the money,  starting car alarm to get back money she gave loan sharks etc.   She is so desperate, even beaten up.   Her instincts are super fast. Snatches the CEO's private cell phone,  recognized PDH"s wife telephone number, seems to know CEO also wants to get rid of PDW. etc.  Her despair leads her to ruthless decisions.  She will "work" for CEO to get these guys fired from their jobs.

But there is something else.  Ji An also instinctively knows that PDH is attracted to her.  He sees she is desperate and beaten. He even mistakenly now believes she put the bribe money in the garbage to save him.   And Ji An knows that.  She will use it - to help herself and set him up for another fall - it appears.     

I can see how these to "losers' in life are coming together. How the attraction begins and the kinds of forces and frustrations that will inevitably bring these two together.   So it is not just a simple little May/Dec love affair between a middle aged guy with a taste for pretty young things.  It much more complex and understandable in the context of this plot.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

This is so well written.  I kept nodding my head as I read it.  Thank you for a thoughtful analysis of why this is a couple (in whatever sense) like no other.

2 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Reading about age gap here. I think age gap does bother me sometimes when it is clearly just an older guy who has everything who happens to meet the cute very young perky girl who adds zest to his life. Yeech, just turns me off. But this storyline is very different. We see a man in a bad marriage,  who is the financial support of his whole family, and who is very expert in his field and very honest, and hard working but overlooked or doesn't know how to play the game, so he is passed over at work and even pushed aside by others.   He doesn't even know yet, that his college junior who is now CEO, is also having an affair with his wife. What a loser!  Finally in a desperate moment he goes bad, and thinks he can make some easy money, Poof! it is all a trap and he is caught.  People with good karma are caught as as soon as they go wrong, actually sign of a good person.   

She is very young only around 20.  From what we know, she is in huge debt to loan sharks. We don't know why but know she says she "killed a person".   The loan shark stalks her and beats her up and even sees it as an oppty to put her in jail when he learns the money is stolen. He has it in for her perhaps because of the persons she killed. We don't know yet what happened.  We also know she is in such dire straights she sneaks her grandma out of the nursing home she can't afford to pay and is willing to steal money. She is hugely resourceful.  Sneaking out grandma,  getting lights turned off to steal the money,  starting car alarm to get back money she gave loan sharks etc.   She is so desperate, even beaten up.   Her instincts are super fast. Snatches the CEO's private cell phone,  recognized PDH"s wife telephone number, seems to know CEO also wants to get rid of PDW. etc.  Her despair leads her to ruthless decisions.  She will "work" for CEO to get these guys fired from their jobs.

But there is something else.  Ji An also instinctively knows that PDH is attracted to her.  He sees she is desperate and beaten. He even mistakenly now believes she put the bribe money in the garbage to save him.   And Ji An knows that.  She will use it - to help herself and set him up for another fall - it appears.     

I can see how these to "losers' in life are coming together. How the attraction begins and the kinds of forces and frustrations that will inevitably bring these two together.   So it is not just a simple little May/Dec love affair between a middle aged guy with a taste for pretty young things.  It much more complex and understandable in the context of this plot.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] First Impressions - "My Mister"

aphoto958989.jpg

I've been posting about "My Mister" so much in these dailies, so I'm pretty sure nobody is surprised by the fact that I created a new type of piece for a first look at the drama's premiere week. Leave your wishes of ideal living, romantic fulfillment, and knights in shining armor at the door, folks, because "My Mister"offers no perfect people and no easy solutions so far.

I think what I'm most surprised, and happy about is that we don't have a bubbly leading woman who remains a bright beacon of impossible standards throughout her troubles. Lee Ji-an (IU) is a broken person living on pure instinct for survival. She finds solutions that solely revolve around her making do and taking care of her own with minimum harm to others when possible and not majorly detrimental to her goals. I'm also really enjoying IU in this role so far.

Dong-hoon and Ji-an having a drinkJi-an sharing an elevator with the bosses

Park Dong-hoon (Lee Sun-kyun) is no savior or moral high standard either. He's bitter, annoyed by the unfairness of his job, tired of his routine and the pressures he faces as the sole breadwinner of his family. Even though a romance would be possible with the current set up, it's really not that kind of a relationship at this point, and this feels good. The conflicts and possible bonding are there, but they don't fit into, or need to fit into the often narrow drama definitions.

Joon-yeong and a frustrated Yoon-heeGi-hoon, Dong-hoon and Sang-hoon

"My Mister" in its entirety so far doesn't, after all. It's not about grand drama, but about the dramatic in the mundane. It's a slow burn through a tiresome life, where the end goal can only be for the characters to find some peace in it, rather than fulfill all their dreams. As for the "controversy" over the portrayed violence, it's as ridiculous as I expected, so nothing worth addressing there. I commend the show for not cowering away from the nuances of toxic masculinity and violence against women.

"My Mister" is not easily digestible entertainment, and there is no neatly laid out light at the end of its tunnel. It's not an easy watch, and I may have to give it a break from time to time, but this could definitely be a great series well worth experiencing.

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

https://www.hancinema.net/orion-s-daily-ramblings-first-impressions--my-mister-116965.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 8

Hi! Do you mind if I join in on all the fun? I love IU in Moon Lovers! And I love her in Dream High :). Pil Suk will always be my favorite! I'm just kidding. I love all her roles. Well, I'm happy she's come back with another drama :D. I look forward to discussing this drama with all of you :).

Edited by 2handsintertwined
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, nearsea said:

I am watching the show and appreciating the slight Misaeng-esque vibe that the drama gives me from time to time, [the director is awesome here no doubt], since half of the show is like a mind-game, almost have no words, and we are only following the characters who are busy analyzing those around them, [like dong hoon after he realized the big mess he's in, or ji an when she discovers that dong hoon's being cheated on, moroever his partner is in a secret relationship with the guy who's throwing him under a bus], also a round of applause goes to director Park who figures out quickly, the secret agenda.

@nearsea  this drama is from PD of Signal and Misaeang. We can see  from the tone of the drama plus office politics slice of life. IU as JA hardly spoke for the first 30-40 mins in ep 1.

@mintea18 I like that scene too. Thanks for the gifs.

@2handsintertwined Join in. All's welcome. Share your thoughts.

• Like 11

Admiring some of your statement about agreeing to have loveline in my mister,I feel understood and you really depict the situation well.Thank you all for righteous statement.

Personally i think LSK would be under a lot of pressure because of k-netizens’ negative comment...What really annoys me is that those who scold never really watch the drama<_< In the setting/context of this drama,loveline totally make sense...

As people here said,I also pray hard that writer and director do not change the original script because of ignorant comments...

In vlive they said it’s not a romance story does not mean there’s no affection in drama at all right? Everything is still possible.

BTW,I really love the tone of both the leads’ voice ! Very captivating...

Can’t wait for the next episode!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, additionyang said:

In vlive they said it’s not a romance story does not mean there’s no affection in drama at all right? Everything is still possible.

Don't worry. There will be affection in this drama. It is just that this is not a romance drama so the romance part is keep at a very low key just like PD previous work Signal and Misaeang.

People who have watch PD previous work Signal and Misaeang can see the affection between the characters just that there are no loveline involve. This drama will be the same.

In Signal the affection flow like this: Park Hae-Young -> Cha Soo-Hyun -> Lee Jae-Han

In Misaeang the affection flow like this:  Jang Geu-Rae -> An Young-Yi <- Jang Baek-Ki

It is still fun to watch the characters display affection for one another just like PD previous work so don't despair just cause it have been confirm that there is no romance in this drama:lol:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, jongski said:

@nearsea  this drama is from PD of Signal and Misaeang. We can see  from the tone of the drama plus office politics slice of life. IU as JA hardly spoke for the first 30-40 mins in ep 1.

@mintea18 I like that scene too. Thanks for the gifs.

@2handsintertwined Join in. All's welcome. Share your thoughts.

Thank you! I will do that. You're so kind :) 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, additionyang said:

Personally i think LSK would be under a lot of pressure because of k-netizens’ negative comment...What really annoys me is that those who scold never really watch the drama<_< In the setting/context of this drama,loveline totally make sense...

BTW,I really love the tone of both the leads’ voice ! Very captivating...

Yes, ever since the casting of IU was announced I have read countless negative comments about LSK, ranging from "but why is he so oooold" to "is he the best they can come up with/can't they find a better looking actor?" to "that old pervert" and everything in between. Never mind that he is known to be one of the nicest people in film/drama. I have felt soooo bad for him to be caught up in the middle, and now wish with all my being that the writer gives him a mighty interesting character that will prove all these nasty comments wrong. <_<  

I agree that the leads' voices are very soothing and captivating.  LSK is already famous for his voice, so no surprise there, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that IU's voice matches his in tone.

On a brighter note, it seems like our drama ranks the highest on the scale of hot topic dramas in recent years.  Not surprisingly, Misty sits at number 2 spot and coincidentally starring LSK's real wife as Eun-joo.  I think The Great Seducer is at 3rd, even though that drama is struggling ratings-wise.  So strange.  Source: http://www.dtoday.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=263407

• Like 9

Hm... where is everybody?  Feels like I'm talking to myself.  Here's the latest preview for episode 3.  Seems like PDH starts to probe into JA's life (where do you live, what does your father do?), but she is not revealing anything and calling him rude for asking so many personal questions.  Poor guy ends up apologizing.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Yes, ever since the casting of IU was announced I have read countless negative comments about LSK, ranging from "but why is he so oooold" to "is he the best they can come up with/can't they find a better looking actor?" to "that old pervert" and everything in between. Never mind that he is known to be one of the nicest people in film/drama. I have felt soooo bad for him to be caught up in the middle, and now wish with all my being that the writer gives him a mighty interesting character that will prove all these nasty comments wrong. <_<  

Are you kidding! It must be all the teenagers/millenials. How can they not know Lee Seon Gyun?

Well I guess it must be like me not knowing who IU is. IU who? :rolleyes:

On 3/26/2018 at 4:02 AM, sadiesmith said:

Hi @justamom, welcome to the thread.  So glad you found the show and enjoyed the first two.   I am also here for LSG, and also like you, I dragged my husband into live watching this.  We usually prefer to marathon finished dramas, because we don't have the patience to wait.  But I make exceptions for LSG dramas and every single one has been worth it.  I have really enjoyed his nuanced performance so far.  His character has not actively done anything, things are just kind of falling apart around him, so he has not had the chance to show much.  I am hoping to see his story picking up speed soon.

@sadiesmith Did you watch Misty? Lee Seon Gyun's wife Jeon Hye Jin was the second lead actress and she was AMAZING!

Yes, and I'm totally into Lee Seon Gyun's voice! What a waste if he and IU don't do some singing this show...

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Are you kidding! It must be all the teenagers/millenials. How can they not know Lee Seon Gyun?

Well I guess it must be like me not knowing who IU is. IU who? :rolleyes:

@sadiesmith Did you watch Misty? Lee Seon Gyun's wife Jeon Hye Jin was the second lead actress and she was AMAZING!

Yes, and I'm totally into Lee Seon Gyun's voice! What a waste if he and IU don't do some singing this show...

Thank you for the solidarity. :)  No, I haven't watched Misty, but have heard so many good things about it so it's on my list.  We thought we would watch Goblin while waiting for new episodes of My Mister, but we are having a hard time getting into it.  I think the contrast is a bit too much, and I find myself getting disengaged.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you for the solidarity. :)  No, I haven't watched Misty, but have heard so many good things about it so it's on my list.  We thought we would watch Goblin while waiting for new episodes of My Mister, but we are having a hard time getting into it.  I think the contrast is a bit too much, and I find myself getting disengaged.

Neither hubby or I could get into Goblin. I really don't get the fuss. We dropped it by the second episode. Looks like we might like similar genres. Misty is very similar in tone, mood, music to My Mister. Highly recommend (but warning: the ending sucks). Hubby got sucked right in as well.

• Like 4