[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I finally watched the 4 episodes this week and this is one of the saddest themed drama i have watched..  IU and the lead guy are perfect for their roles. 

I love the teaser for episode 5.  I can see LJ-an wavering a bit, that scene where the grandma was carried in a cart like a baby is kinda cute but very sad. I really don't see anything wrong if they develop feelings for each other.

• Like 14

As far as the killing goes, it was self-defence against a guy that was beating her and her grandmother. Unless there were other circumstances surrounding the murder, self-defence a perfectly valid excuse in court, especially when it's against someone more powerful than you are. I am guessing it isn't a defence argument in Korea.

I don't think I've missed the reason he's so depressed and just stumbling through life. I do not like his wife. She wants to divorce him, then divorce him but after finding out that the CEO is a sadistic piece of S*** that likes to toy with people, she still accepts that first getting him fired from his job and then divorcing him is the right thing to do. She accepts completely destroying her husband's life because she is unhappy with her marriage and add to that she has no regard for her son either. Does she think that once he's fired and then she divorces him that he will never find out who she's been dating? He'll always have a connection to her because of their son. What a cruel woman honestly, I hope she gets hit by a bus, her adultery partner as well but especially her.

However, I understand her point about wanting out of the marriage as well. He seems to be a very closed off person and his wife doesn't have access to him, so I am curious about what shut him off so much. He said he related to the girl. She has the trauma of killing a person and as a result having to grow up very fast and taking care of her grandmother. What is his trauma? Wife and him lost a kid? A building he was responsible for inspecting collapsed because he didn't do a good job and perhaps took a bribe to overlook? Tired of work politics and being overlooked?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, nearsea said:

Somehow I feel like Jung Hee won't be a love interest for dong hoon? Rather maybe he will confide in her regarding his conflicts with Ji An. She could give him some talks from a female perspective, since all these time he has been spending time with guys. Also considering how much of a lone soul and a complex character Dong Hoon is, I find it hard to believe that he would fall for someone like Jung Hee. I mean there needs to be a common point of interest that needs to catch his attention. 

No, Jung Hee won't be a love interest; I just thought it would be fun to see him explore his wilder side and have a fling with her, precisely because she is so different from him.  But I think you are right though, that she would be a friend he consults in the future.

12 hours ago, nearsea said:

I was also watching the subbed Vlive clip today, surprisingly there wasn't any mention of this particular topic like what people have been talking about on Twitter or the drama watching sites. Nobody said 'there won't be any romance between Ji An and Dong Hoon'. This is particularly what lee sung kyun and IU said respectively, "My ahjussi is not a story about love, it's about human beings, so I'd be super grateful if the viewers could enjoy watching this drama without having preconceptions towards it." " Like he said, our drama is neither a romance or a fantasy story, it's simply a story that tells about the reality and human beings. Rather than saying 'reality should be like this', 'or humans should be like that', neither we are trying to glorify or hate on the reality, we just want to tell that 'such reality exists, so what do you think about it?" I think this is the message our drama is trying to convey."

So judging from this, I think the writer isn't trying to say that there won't be any attraction factor present throughout the drama. We can already see there is one, but much like how in fictions, romance can still be part of the story, but not all of it, like we see on typical romantic fictions or rom-coms. 

So instead of reassuring worried viewers that there is no romance, they were actually warning viewers that there could be romance, just that romance itself is not the focus of the story, that this was not a romance melodrama or a romantic comedy, but a human story with some romance in it?  I can live with that.

Edited to add:

Another forum has someone speculated that the PD/writer already indirectly, but firmly, indicated that they won't go the romance route by showing Dong Hoon's refusal to return Ji An's kiss.  Also by Dong Hoon's reprimanding his older brother's teasing over his spending time with a much younger woman.  Now I am super confused because I can see the validity of both arguments.

• Like 6

On 3/29/2018 at 4:31 PM, chickfactor said:

Ep. 5 preview translated:

Director Park: Take one look. See what sin that punk committed against you.

Ji-An: You tried to screw over the CEO. That should get you fired immediately.

Director Yoon: This is why you are still only a Department Head. ... You should hold him back, why are you holding me back!?!

Woman: I'm sorry... Director? (to Ki-Hoon)

Sang-Hoon: Did that girl like you?

Dong-Hoon: (VO) I had a feeling. That I am unlucky. (To Ji-An) Where are you going, this late at night?

Ji-An: People who live comfortably, it is easy for them to be good.

The episode 5 preview shows Director Park telling Dong Hoon to see for himself how the CEO has wronged him.  This may be the episode where DH finds out about his wife's affair.  

• Like 8

9 hours ago, shahlooblah said:

As far as the killing goes, it was self-defence against a guy that was beating her and her grandmother. Unless there were other circumstances surrounding the murder, self-defence a perfectly valid excuse in court, especially when it's against someone more powerful than you are. I am guessing it isn't a defence argument in Korea.

I don't think I've missed the reason he's so depressed and just stumbling through life. I do not like his wife. She wants to divorce him, then divorce him but after finding out that the CEO is a sadistic piece of S*** that likes to toy with people, she still accepts that first getting him fired from his job and then divorcing him is the right thing to do. She accepts completely destroying her husband's life because she is unhappy with her marriage and add to that she has no regard for her son either. Does she think that once he's fired and then she divorces him that he will never find out who she's been dating? He'll always have a connection to her because of their son. What a cruel woman honestly, I hope she gets hit by a bus, her adultery partner as well but especially her.

However, I understand her point about wanting out of the marriage as well. He seems to be a very closed off person and his wife doesn't have access to him, so I am curious about what shut him off so much. He said he related to the girl. She has the trauma of killing a person and as a result having to grow up very fast and taking care of her grandmother. What is his trauma? Wife and him lost a kid? A building he was responsible for inspecting collapsed because he didn't do a good job and perhaps took a bribe to overlook? Tired of work politics and being overlooked?

I totally agree with your analysis on the two main characters. Especially the one in regard to the main male lead and his wife and the affairs. Based on the bits we see, we knew they have a son and so far we are told that he is study aboard. It makes no sense that the two parents are working here in Korea and the son is aboard( based on the picture we saw, i gonna say their child is max in high school?) i think higher chance that something happened to the child? I felt like if the child is aboard the brothers would mention it when they are all together. Especially when male lead was very close to lose the job, his brother made the comments that he must secure his positon before the passing of their mom. If say the son is still alive, wouldn't the brother made some reference to the son as well? I am just drawing a lot to the hints we are giving. Maybe that is the trigger to the broken marriage we see in the plot so far.  If the child say still alive, could be possible we will see he coming back and how would that change the dynamics of the plot?  I am very much interested in what really took place and made the main male lead the way he is, we were given background story to the female lead in ep 3 and 4. I am guessing next week is more on the male lead. Based on the preview for 5, it is possible male lead will finally know that his boss is having affair with his wife. ( or maybe female lead will HELP him to know what's going on?) so many possibility xD

• Like 8

8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

No, Jung Hee won't be a love interest; I just thought it would be fun to see him explore his wilder side and have a fling with her, precisely because she is so different from him.  But I think you are right though, that she would be a friend he consults in the future.

So instead of reassuring worried viewers that there is no romance, they were actually warning viewers that there could be romance, just that romance itself is not the focus of the story, that this was not a romance melodrama or a romantic comedy, but a human story with some romance in it?  I can live with that.

Edited to add:

Another forum has someone speculated that the PD/writer already indirectly, but firmly, indicated that they won't go the romance route by showing Dong Hoon's refusal to return Ji An's kiss.  Also by Dong Hoon's reprimanding his older brother's teasing over his spending time with a much younger woman.  Now I am super confused because I can see the validity of both arguments.

I am actually fine with if down the road that the director do ended up letting two main leads have some sort of romance. I think it all going to depend on how the writer and director going to address male lead's current marriage. He has a wife who no longer show sign of love towards him and a nowhere to be seen son( is he alive or dead is a question we have no clue to). IF let's say somehow down the road male lead took the option and divorce his wife, then I guess the audience and public would accept better of the potential romance line. I guess for korean viewer they are wishing for a redemption of the marriage. ( the male lead fix whatever happened between him and his wife and adopt female lead xD could be a HE? ahahaha) 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Edited to add:

Haha, I could be wrong too. What I said is what I feel after four episodes, but I could totally see the show going in another direction. With today's drama endings [misty, goblin, hwayugi], you can't tell honestly what goes into these writer's mind lol. I hope the writer of this drama doesn't decide to suddenly kill off both the protagonists to match the overall melancholic tone :S. Regarding Dong Hoon's refusal to the kiss, I found that reaction normal since in his mind he's a married man [ not a happy one, but that's another topic], and also the kiss was so sudden and random. He felt surprised and was a bit shaken by it but that was natural. I can totally see the main leads having a healthy and loving relationship lol, but then it can stay somewhere between a strong bond between them too like we see in lots of fictions. So in that regard, 'affection' would have been the right word to describe their relationship like it was told in the image chart maybe. Nevertheless, I'm okay with going with the flow and enjoy the story where it leads us to. As long as we viewers don't shove our own interpretation of love on the writer I'm fine with anything hehe.

• Like 9

The scene in E04 where the two brothers are starting to work as cleaners keeps bothering me. Their buddy tells them not to get two bottles mixed up. I can't help feeling they will get them mixed up – which will lead to major damage that they will be responsible for.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 2

Loved 3 and 4. But more than anything, I am loving the music of the show! Who is this kickass music director! Even without IU and Lee Seon Gyun's lovely melancholic voices, the music and sound track is awesome!

It's not the most gripping or thrilling show. But there's a slow, quiet, charm that I love, especially the final scene at the ahjeossi bar. There was a surprising warmth and human-ness watching the "old" drunk men wasting the night away, and I felt the PD team's message strongly there. Middle-age - is this the end? Does life end here?

• Like 18

Thanks everyone for your posts! I was surprised when I realised that neither DH or his wife mentioned their son. It’s really weird. How can they not discussing him and why is he studying abroad at such young age?

But I don’t think he’s dead. Would his oldest brother said that he envied his life if DH’s son was really dead? But a lack of mentions of their son makes me confused. Also if their son is 12, he’s only 8 years younger than Ji An, so I kinda understand that DH sees her more as a kid than a woman right now.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, sandjh said:
IU singing/covering one of the songs from the soundtrack, Sondia's 'Adult'!!!

:heart:where is to find the full version? Iu version more dark and deep:cry: sorry just wanna cry for Jian misery.

3 more days to eps 5.

Edited by Yana Mujay
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

On 3/29/2018 at 11:45 PM, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

I would admit, I didn't understand how I would watch 3 ahjussis weekly but damn their scene had me ugly crying in episode 4. This drama is sooooo good! It is painful to watch but that's what makes it special.

I can't believe it's only been 4 episodes?  Our characters don't even say much and yet it's like we have been on this journey with them for a while. Or is human suffering that we are all relating to?

I let my FMVs show how I feel about a drama. That's why I can't make one if I'm not into a show.

Thank you for sharing your FMVs with us.  I never noticed these before (probably because no one cared to make them for the other dramas I ever live watched), but surprisingly enjoying them now.  Here's another one I found set to a song I really like:

• Like 9

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2018] My Mister 나의 아저씨 - Wed & Thu @ 21:30 KST

A few random thoughts:

- When Dong-Hoon said that kids who go through a tough event have to grow up fast and how he recognized that in Ji-An, it occurred to me that something has maybe also happened to him.

- Despite some bad luck he may have had, it is Dong-Hoon's essentially goodness that saves him. For example, when another employee saw the picture of Ji-An and DH kissing, she could have jumped to the worst and most obvious conclusion - that an older man was fooling around with a much younger employee. Instead, she took the time to see the picture for what it was.

It was the same thing as with the bribe money. While it's ridiculous that anyone would purposely throw that in the trash, they chose to interpret that as him rejecting the bribe and being a good guy. So everyone thinks he's a sad sack, but at the very least, they believe that he is a straight arrow when it comes to ethics, and that's the reputation he's earned so far, and it's certainly worth something.

- I can't say that I sympathize with DH's wife. If she's unhappy in her marriage, divorce is an option.

- To someone who mentioned above that the two cleaning chemicals are not supposed to be mixed - yes, that's quite the Chekhov's gun, waiting to go off.

- As far as whether Ji-An's actions are immoral - well, yes, obviously. But she's not doing anything that they are not already doing to themselves, so I can't blame her for using her wiles to try and get a piece of the action. And she is fighting for survival, so she can be free from the clutches of a loan shark who won't stop tormenting her and routinely beating the tar out of her. That's not the case for the others. So I don't judge her for what she is trying to do.

Even if she pays him all the money, will he ever leave her alone? I doubt it.

I am confident that if there is romance, it's going to feel organic and well-earned, not just thrown in to the story so that the audience enjoys it. This show is called, "My Ahjussi" after all, so he will come to belong to her, or rather, they to each other, in some essential way.

The last thing is that technology is quite a scary thing. She bugged his phone so that it's a listening device even when he isn't using it? That is so scary.

• Like 19