[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

29 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I'm curious.. Do you guys think DH should reconcile with his wife as his happy ending? Or it's better for him to divorce her and find a new love? I wonder if at some point their son (who is studying abroad right now) will come back to South Korea and change their relationship dynamic. 

Your question remind me of LSK's previous drama with Song Ji Hyo "My Wife's Having An Affair This Week"..... :wink:  It is an interesting drama too and we too were anxious of the leads' decision at that time..

Thanks @Joseph Lim yes, the birthday song...

• Like 3

Just watched ep 4 and I think it is my favorite so far. I loved the scene where DH spoke to the villa owner and did all that subtle bad-richard simmons stuff behind the scenes. Like JA, after repeatedly listening to his voice..I have started to really like his voice! His voice is so lovely. haha. Both their voices match the color of the drama haha. Now that I think about it if they chose a female lead with a much higher pitched voice - it wouldn't suit!! 

Another favorite scene of mine was the ending scene. DH thinking about JA's words again, and JA listening to them and her expression while listening to his response. DH's words are getting to her.

A line that resonated with me was when the brother's mother said, 'Come in and eat before you go' to the villa owner after he apologised (albeit 90% forced to apologise :P). It reminded of having the attitude of, 'forgive and forget' kinda thing. 

I hope DH does not reconcile with his wife. IMO their marriage is dead, I just do not think she has good morals personally. There seems to be no love at all now between those two (although we don't know how they were before). Also when I think about it the connection and understanding between JA and DH is in such a deeper level. Especially when you compare it to DH and his wife lol. I like how this drama shows us how two people can understand each other to a much deeper level, which is also what is common between romantic relationships and other relationships; it's just in my experience we don't see it portrayed this often in dramas in this way? 

I like it. They have an understanding of each other. I haven't watched many dramas where there is a large age gap, the only other one I did watch I wasn't to invested in and dropped it haha. With this drama, I can see JA and DH going either way as two people who have an understanding with each other or two people who can develop a romantic relationship as well. 

I'm loving this drama and I agree with this drama being very 'human'! 

Also I can't believe that this is my first LSK drama! Can't believe I haven't watched him in anything else until now haha

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

Your question remind me of LSK's previous drama with Song Ji Hyo "My Wife's Having An Affair This Week"..... :wink:  It is an interesting drama too and we too were anxious of the leads' decision at that time..

Thanks @Joseph Lim yes, the birthday song...

No not the birthday song. It is the one after the birthday song.

The director ask IU to write for that scene. 

http://iu-jjang.tumblr.com/post/150629411047/lyrics-iu-아이유-친구야-친구-너다워-고마워-my-dear-friend

Regarding EP 4, I am shock to learn JA actually murder someone:o. When she said that she kill a person earlier, I thought she indirectly cause the death of someone. Wow this show is really dark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just finished Ep 4 and this is my fav Ep. so far.  I teared up during voice over of PDH ( JA eaves dropping on the bugged cell) When he said he also0 kneeled down and got slapped too many times and pretended to nothing happened and he just came back at home  doing normal routne.  When he said  one can do that  but never ever do in front family member.. when  they're looking when they see that one is reduced to and being treated like dog. Family is important to PDH. He is filial son and brother. He tried to keep his composure but  even decent man has his limits. I understood him. I love PHD and I care this character.

I also felt sorry  for JA her miserable life the beatings, she's getting.  But I also don't like how she continues to  destroy PDH.  Bugged cellphone, listening to conversations, trying to set him up digging dirt on him. She is miserable young lady and I feel sorry for but to destroy someone because , her financial needs needs  has to be above and beyond, she's thinking with her mind for most of her actions and not with heart.  

After episode 4. Fine, I'm one of those that wishes there could be something deep in a way that PDH will get through her mind and heart.

The last scene of the episode.

PDH: "I'm sad. I'm she knows a lot about me."

I ponder on this.   In a way  he wished that he knows about her. Something about her too.

The ep 5 preview if I'm not mistaken a scene where  PDH gave pggy back ride to granny?  That should touch JA heart to the core. I want PDH and JA to share each other's miseries and comfort themselves. Together.

2 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

tried to have an open mind to understand DH's wife reason to cheat. But at this point, she's just unredeemable. I dislike her so much:wacko: 

I'm with you. I dislike her. She knows he's suffering and he's lonely. Why not be upfront and ask for divorce. Stop the suffering of PDH. But of course  he doesn't even know that  the wife is having an affair with JY. I'm  annoyed they're going through all this plan just to make PDH leave the company because.. Doing that will deflect the affair.

By the way, the ending scene bgm sounds similar to the one in Just Between Lovers. I like it.

• Like 8

Love this drama, hooked by the gloomy and the tense betwen PDH and LJA, their platonic relationship  hurt me somehow,like wise the lonely person always understand each other beyond a words although many scene seem weird to be true(:Dhow come a girl like JA pushed over hospital bed along the way no one notice it )but over all this drama is  very interesting too bad  must  wait till next week :( . Met someone understand you is rare but  found out someone suddenly knew yourself in first glance is miracle What else you want? 

Jianaah just hug tight that Ahjussi:D

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I certainly don’t want his wife to get back with him. It’s definitely a different dynamic from his previous drama where his wife was having an affair too. This wife doesn’t seem to be too remorseful about cheating on him. I think they were never truly in love. From what she said about “I never knew how to make him truly happy”. Maybe she never tried to understand him completely and just gave up when she came to realised they were never really happy. Nobody forced her to stay with him, she could have asked for a divorce but instead chose to betray him in the most disgusting way with a man who’s his boss. Way to go, lady. 

I didn’t empathize with two other brothers in past episodes but I bawled my eyes out during that kneeling scene. That was powerful scene indeed.

—————

I read several posts complaining about Ji An behaviour and actions. It’s very true that what she’s doing is illegal and unethical and that she shouldn’t do this even though she’s gone through hell. But I think she just doesn’t know how to deal with “good” people because she never met one. I bet she’s been constantly looked down on and abused her whole life. She clearly comes from a poor family and I bet everyone around her reminded her of that fact. When she was locked up she probably met even worse people who influenced her badly. I don’t condone her actions but I can understand her point of view because right until now she only knew that she must do anything to survive another day. Most of us never been in such situation, to be that poor that you have to eat someone leftovers. It’s easy to judge her because we’ve never really hit a bottom like her. Right bow she lacks a moral compass and DH is the one who will restore her faith in people.

But I think DH will forgive her easily when he learns about her betrayal. At that point she’ll already be too important to him to cut her out of his life.

I can actually see few resemblance with this writer’s previous drama Another Oh Hae Young. In that drama a main lead purposely ruined titular Hae Young’s wedding and still she was desperately in love with him when she found out the truth that it didn’t really matter to her at that point. There’s another thing that I found similar to her previous drama. In Another Oh Hae Young a main lead was a movie sound producer and had this recording device that he had turned on all days to record the noises in the house and outside the streets. Thus he accidentally recorded Hae Young’s voice for several days (she lived next door, the walls were very thin and she liked talking aloud whenever she was doing something- yes, even when she was pooping). Of course he found her really adorable when he listened to those recordings. Sounds similar to Ji An bugging DH’s phone, listening to his voice and falling for him? Pretty much the same, right?

Now it makes a perfect sense why they cast LSK. Because we are going to listen to his velvet voice quite often.

• Like 18

For me what Jian going trough is enough to not judging her with moral compass, she just live to survival not for her behalf but her grandma, live seem to scary for person who have no responbility but for someone who cary heavy load like Jian the choice is just to passed day by day with little peace for her muted grandma, that's way she look so angry when DH asked her about her parent she even angrier while she listen DH talk he felt bad for her because just a sad  girl would growing up faster like her. knowing someone could read her well seems annoying her.eventhough for time being she was done is bad i believe she have another backing plan for each of person wich have connection with bribery case.

• Like 11

I am anticipating the response of Executive Director Wang to the firing of his closest and most trusted ally, PDW. Maybe it will work to their advantage. PDW was targeted first by JDY because he was the most annoying, strongest and steadfast blocker to JDY’s path to the top. But removing PDW sends the clearest message of warning to Director Wang, “this is war”.

It seems that Wang is the closest to CEO Jang, that he and Jang may have built the company together. JDY knows he has yet to face his biggest challenge. Director Wang has been around, he grew up during the years of struggle, post war, growth and progress of SK. Those experiences can’t be discounted. He has learned a thing or two about occupying and defending his turf. It might be to Director Wang and his team’s advantage that PDW is out of the company where he can plan his comeback and his movements not closely monitored. At the ground level we have 2 people who seemed to have taken sides not because they necessarily support the side they are on but are forced by necessity to survive. Sometimes those are the fiercest most ingenious and most ferocious warriors to win whatever it takes. Can’t wait for next week,

EDIT: something Director Wang said about JDY and his cohorts gives me goosebumps after the taking down of PDW, "If they dared to do that, then they will also dare to kill especially when the ownership of the house and billions of money is what at stake." JDY gives me the chills brrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 8

8 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I'm curious.. Do you guys think DH should reconcile with his wife as his happy ending? Or it's better for him to divorce her and find a new love? I wonder if at some point their son (who is studying abroad right now) will come back to South Korea and change their relationship dynamic. 

@mushroomsoupie  At this point we don't know very much about their marriage and how it got so cold.  DH doesn't even respond to his wife when she speaks to him. He ignores her.  I have a lot of respect for Dh, how he continues to maintain personal dignity and walk the straight and narrow in this life "his prison", but he is not giving her affection, and i wonder why - why he is like that with her. She is a "desperate housewife".

@aisling wrote 

I read several posts complaining about Ji An behaviour and actions. It’s very true that what she’s doing is illegal and unethical and that she shouldn’t do this even though she’s gone through hell. But I think she just doesn’t know how to deal with “good” people because she never met one. I bet she’s been constantly looked down on and abused her whole life. She clearly comes from a poor family and I bet everyone around her reminded her of that fact. When she was locked up she probably met even worse people who influenced her badly. I don’t condone her actions but I can understand her point of view because right until now she only knew that she must do anything to survive another day. Most of us never been in such situation, to be that poor that you have to eat someone leftovers. It’s easy to judge her because we’ve never really hit a bottom like her. Right bow she lacks a moral compass and DH is the one who will restore her faith in people.

I do agree, that Ji-An is very young and has really only a brutish experience in this world. She doesn't have role models so to speak (unless she has watched korean dramas).    I do sympathize with her from that stand point -  a lot.   If you kick a dog around since its a puppy it will grow to be vicious.  But Ji-An is still human and had a grandma who loved and sacrificed for her.  She is more complex a being and does need to be held to some standards in my opinion. I will give her leeway but not a freeway.

In the next episode trailer we hear Ji-an say something about being well off makes it easy to be a "good" person.  In the opening of the book Robinson Crusoe, he is sailing on a merchant  ship and he says something like "Thank God i was born to the middle class because the rich and the poor have no morals".     As we saw in Return, the very rich who pay no price for their sins have more difficulty being moral, and now we see Ji An who has lived a brutal life, burdened with the responsibility of caring for her sick grandmother, in great debt. She has spent time in prison, and needs to live with having killed someone.  I realize it is not easy for her to share  the same values or moral scruples as others.  But I think there is a difference between stealing money and entrapping and destroying the life and livelihood of people who have never done you any harm. She has set out to get two men fired from employment they have devoted their lives to, worked hard for and they have dependents too.  I do understand and sympathize and feel for her desperation - she is being beaten down and struggles to stand back up.   But just because people face unequal circumstances in life does not make it okay for them to randomly victimize and prey upon others. That is the law of jungle animals, not humans.  Ji -an is a human, and that consciousness we share as humans makes her responsible to conduct herself on a higher standard.   Civilization is based on common human decency.  No,  I am not giving her a free pass, but I am more than willing to give her another chance.

• Like 15

Ep. 04 delves into life's harsh realities and into the ugly side of human nature. The hypocritical female employee at Ji-An's office, the rude imbecile who berated Dong-Hoon's older brother, Gwang-Il - who btw is a hottie. WHY must he be a hottie:tongue:DAMN YOU DRAMA. Yea I'm twisted. Sorry for caps.:phew:

Amidst all that I'm LoL :lol:at Dong-Hoon's "Hey, didn't you watch Prison Break!? Scofield was a structural engineer!!":w00t:

I like how both Ji-An & Dong-Hoon get each other, even Dong-Hoon acknowledges this. Like Ji-An observed, eventhough Dong-Hoon has all the comforts she can dream of with a steady income, he is still...miserable. Just goes to show that the Grass Is Not Always Greener On The Other Side

As for Dong-Hoon's wife, I can't believe I feel sorry for her LoL. She seems to be stuck in a loveless marriage. Probably one where life becomes routined & the spouses take each other for granted type thing. 

• Like 15

I think episode 4 is my favorite so far.  Up to now Ji-an has been able to execute all her plans without much consequence, but now we see that her impulsive actions don't always serve her well.  She acted rashly in stealing away Park Dong Woon, not knowing that he never forgets things no matter how much alcohol he's had.  Dong Hoon was no longer intimidated by her, and even asked her to watch her sassy mouth. The picture of her kissing him backfired and almost cost her her job.  I am glad we see that things don't always go her way.  I actually liked her a lot more this episode.  Will she now get another temp job at Quizno's or was that purely product placement? 

A few random and perhaps very wacky thoughts:

Loved that Park Dong Hoon was able to show his fierce side too, especially when his family member has been wronged.  But since it's not his nature to be confrontational, poor guy almost passed out from the stress.  The last scene at the bar felt a little random, but I wonder if he will later have a fling with the lady owner of the bar.  I know the woman Jung Hee has a pretty important role in the drama, and we saw him approach her affectionately.  Another thing I noticed worried me a little.  We were given hint that PDH is a lonely soul, that's just who he is.  With the way he wished that he should have never been born, and his mom's visit to the temple, I wonder if the only happiness for him can not be found here on earth.  We know he won't get our girl Ji An, and there is no way anyone is rooting for him to get back with his wife, so what happiness is there here on earth for him?  

More wild thoughts:

And if I let my imagination carry me away, maybe the only way for the leads to find happiness together is in the after life.  Their deep connection plus the age gap will surely be frowned upon by society, and the show can't just have them move on like nothing has happened, so the only logical conclusion may be a Romeo and Juliet kind of end.

• Like 9
  • Sad 5

On 3/30/2018 at 12:41 PM, maddymappo said:

I realize it is not easy for her to share  the same values or moral scruples as others.  But I think there is a difference between stealing money and entrapping and destroying the life and livelihood of people who have never done you any harm. She has set out to get two men fired from employment they have devoted their lives to, worked hard for and they have dependents too.  I do understand and sympathize and feel for her desperation - she is being beaten down and struggles to stand back up.   But just because people face unequal circumstances in life does not make it okay for them to randomly victimize and prey upon others. That is the law of jungle animals, not humans.  Ji -an is a human, and that consciousness we share as humans makes her responsible to conduct herself on a higher standard.   Civilization is based on common human decency.  No,  I am not giving her a free pass, but I am more than willing to give her another chance.

@maddymappo I agree with your whole analysis of JA. I also empathize with JA. I believe that all actions, reactions, movements have an effect on the action taker and the object of the action.  Even not taking action has an effect and no one gets a free pass in the long run. JA was in a hurry to get her money from JDY so she acted without consulting JDY and did get the desired effect of ridding of PDW from the main office but not fired from the company as JDY would have wanted. JDY paid her but he was not happy about it. The way JA set up PDW was an unrefined direct, and very transparent attack noticeable by everyone, especially to Wang that it was clear as day, it was a set-up, therefore, warning the adversary. JA was in haste and did not take the time to study the object of her frame set up. PDW who has worked for the company for more than 20 years is a careful man who had happy hour drinks with work buddies but not to the point of unconsciousness where he ends up in a hotel. He has built a good work reputation and even respected as a mentor. PDW getting so drunk to unconsciousness all of a sudden for no reason is an aberrancy. And it got Wang to direct his attention towards JDY who was not very happy as his minion, Yoon, at the means taken to rid of PDW.  That is probably why she changed her mind and had the JA/PDH kissing pictures removed from the internet. She also destroyed the trust between the Park office-mates Woon and Hoon. Now that Woon is in revenge mode, he might add Hoon on his revenge list. She has embroiled a good man in an office war, he was not necessarily a part of. She has made powerful enemies and what the loan sharks are doing to her is nothing compared to what JDY will do. As Wong said, billions of money and the position to command those billions are at stake. PDw seems like a good man, but if he learns that JA was the one who set him up, with his connections, he will make sure that JA will end up in prison for a long time. Like you said, she will learn that being comfortable does not necessarily equal goodness. All human beings from all walks of life have the choice to be good or bad. That is how we learn, how we grow.  Not all wealthy people are bad as being depicted in most dramas. Some of the wealthiest people became wealthy because of their honest efforts and some came from backgrounds such as JA. Ja's choices to make life easier for herself and her grandmother actually is making her life harder. 

t

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

A few random and perhaps very wacky thoughts:

Loved that Park Dong Hoon was able to show his fierce side too, especially when his family member has been wronged.  But since it's not his nature to be confrontational, poor guy almost passed out from the stress.  The last scene at the bar felt a little random, but I wonder if he will later have a fling with the lady owner of the bar.  I know the woman Jung Hee has a pretty important role in the drama, and we saw him approach her affectionately.  Another thing I noticed worried me a little.  We were given hint that PDH is a lonely soul, that's just who he is.  With the way he wished that he should have never been born, and his mom's visit to the temple, I wonder if the only happiness for him can not be found here on earth.  We know he won't get our girl Ji An, and there is no way anyone is rooting for him to get back with his wife, so what happiness is there here on earth for him?  

More wild thoughts:

And if I let my imagination carry me away, maybe the only way for the leads to find happiness together is in the after life.  Their deep connection plus the age gap will surely be frowned upon by society, and the show can't just have them move on like nothing has happened, so the only logical conclusion may be a Romeo and Juliet kind of end.

Somehow I feel like Jung Hee won't be a love interest for dong hoon? Rather maybe he will confide in her regarding his conflicts with Ji An. She could give him some talks from a female perspective, since all these time he has been spending time with guys. Also considering how much of a lone soul and a complex character Dong Hoon is, I find it hard to believe that he would fall for someone like Jung Hee. I mean there needs to be a common point of interest that needs to catch his attention. 

About the happy ending, while I'm not sure whether there will be the conventional guy gets girl type of closure, but I'm hopeful that the drama will end on a positive note since it comes from the writer of 'Another oh young'. Although that drama kept going around in circles in the last half, but we can hope that the ending won't be dreary. 

I was also watching the subbed Vlive clip today, surprisingly there wasn't any mention of this particular topic like what people have been talking about on Twitter or the drama watching sites. Nobody said 'there won't be any romance between Ji An and Dong Hoon'. This is particularly what lee sung kyun and IU said respectively, "My ahjussi is not a story about love, it's about human beings, so I'd be super grateful if the viewers could enjoy watching this drama without having preconceptions towards it." " Like he said, our drama is neither a romance or a fantasy story, it's simply a story that tells about the reality and human beings. Rather than saying 'reality should be like this', 'or humans should be like that', neither we are trying to glorify or hate on the reality, we just want to tell that 'such reality exists, so what do you think about it?" I think this is the message our drama is trying to convey."

So judging from this, I think the writer isn't trying to say that there won't be any attraction factor present throughout the drama. We can already see there is one, but much like how in fictions, romance can still be part of the story, but not all of it, like we see on typical romantic fictions or rom-coms. 

• Like 11

PDW is definitely not going to be happy when he finds out JA's involvement to get him demoted. I can see him utilising her to switch sides and help him take down CEO's team though. Can you imagine DH, JA, and CD (the janitor) working as a team to expose the CEO's wrongdoings, Chief Kim-esque? (If you haven't watched that drama, you really should). That will be fun to watch. The underdogs take on the big boss. 

When PDH said that he seemed to build his life on the wrong place (just like the old building), that part really resonated with me.

I had depression, so I know how he feels. I'm trying to figure out what happened in his past to make him feel this way. It's either:

1. He made a set of unfortunate decisions throughout his life (marrying the wrong person, picking the wrong job, etc). If that's the case, I want to know more about his interest. Because so far we haven't seen any passion in DH's life. No info about his dream job, hobby, crush. Nothing.

2. He just can't figure out what he truly wants to be happy. He's a lonely and empty soul since the early phase of his life. I hope that this isn't the case, that would break my heart.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Cr. to the owner:

The postings in the thread are getting interesting not just discussing what is happening in the drama but also touching the realistic lives of people in SK itself.   Some non SK used to have the illusion that everything there is "beautiful" and "nice".  However after experiencing being there one will notice that in certain ways there is not much different with what one has in his or her own environment.

* Thanks @Joseph Lim for putting up the whole translated interview with all the leads.  

• Like 10