[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Done with the Ep 1. I definitely Like it! dark dreary gritty.

IU (I've only seen her in 1 drama and that's with  Jo Jung Suk.. forgot the title). Gotta laud her for her acting. It's not cute. It's sad and depressing in cold way. She barely talked in episode one especially the first 40 minutes of it.

Jang Ki Yong. I don't know the actor but nothing pretty boy about his character.  He's bstrd basically. I still don't know his relation with Ji An. But good acting. 

Lee Sung Kyun.. yes the weight of the brother's and mother's world on his shoulders as the  second oldest  (older bro lost business, youngest,, slacker waiting for that big directorial debut). As PDH,  team manager for the company who inspects of buildings safety standards, he's the one earning most money.  Married but unhappy..it would seem like that.

I got confused with the bribe money but it's a case of mistaken identity. The 50 mil won was delivered to PDH instead of the PDW which is one of the directors. IU knew about it. She saw him  took the money and hide inside his metal drawers. A lot of politics and maneuverings happening in the company. I thought I would like DJH but he's the CEO who having  liaison with wife of PDH. So the bribe money came from him?

I'm going to wait for the sub of Ep 2.

• Like 6

This Drama was a pretty gritty & true-to-life look into the poverty stricken parts of an advanced country as South Korea. Honestly poverty exists everywhere but it's refreshing to watch a K-Drama that's not all about the spoiled exploits of the wealthy etc. IU's character, Ji-An is a far cry from your usual Cinderella heroine. In the first ep. she's punched to a pulp by a loan shark(?) and she needs to care for a bedridden Grandma. While I don't condone her actions, I understand why she had to. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Dong-Hoon's wife is sleeping with his company director & his brothers are just sloths! 

The scene where IU gets pummeled was disturbing to watch. There seems to be a growing trend in K-Dramas lately where the depiction is very truthful & raw. A reflection of today's current situation I suppose with men behaving badly i.e. sexual scandals, corruption etc. I was close to contemplating on dropping this as certain scenes were too heavy for my liking. Still I will look forward to future ep. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jongski said:

Done with the Ep 1. I definitely Like it! dark dreary gritty.

I got confused with the bribe money but it's a case of mistaken identity. The 50 mil won was delivered to PDH instead of the PDW which is one of the directors. IU knew about it. She saw him  took the money and hide inside his metal drawers. A lot of politics and maneuverings happening in the company. I thought I would like DJH but he's the CEO who having  liaison with wife of PDH. So the bribe money came from him?

I'm going to wait for the sub of Ep 2.

Glad the wait was worth it.  I liked it too.  Was the name on the envelope Park Dong Woon or Park Dong Hoon?  I would think PDH is so used to getting PDW's mail by mistake that he always double checked.  So which name was it on the envelope?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Glad the wait was worth it.  I liked it too.  Was the name on the envelope Park Dong Woon or Park Dong Hoon?  I would think PDH is so used to getting PDW's mail by mistake that he always double checked.  So which name was it on the envelope?

I think the name on the envelope was Park Dong Hoon coz they got misheard the name, that's why the director was mad during his talk on his phone saying "I told you his name was Park Dong 'Woon' not Hoon!"  

#MyMister Ratings 

(Nationwide | Seoul National Capital)

Ep1: 3.923% | 4.467%

Ep2: 4.133% | 4.786%

cr. https://twitter.com/IUmushimushi/status/976965194122276864

yes the rating keeps getting higher!!! 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ayame said:

@sadiesmith As a long-time kpop & kdrama fan, I'd say that Netizenbuzz is known for only translating negative comments on their site. That's how they get a lot of people to visit their site really. In terms of the negative comments, they're not really coming from IU's fans. At least on Twitter, a lot of IU fans are upset at all the negative comments. A lot of the negative comments are coming from just random people who have not even watched the drama yet and just give their opinion without watching it. I would say NetizenDrama has more of an accurate netizen response: http://netizendrama.blogspot.my/

Let's avoid that trashy site!!! NB olny translating negative comments by morons! this is the best time for those stupids to attack IU since they can't attack her in her music career! It's happened everytime IU join casting for new drama.

And yeah nitizendrama and pannchoa are more fair to translate nitizens response...

• Like 7

I’m loving this so far with raw ep. 2.   Surprises and suspense like sting operation all done by a young woman super hero who does super human feats such as dragging/pushing a hospital bed down the road..WHAT??! ?  Very cool.   She coolly and calmly seizing an opportunity and plays it so no one good looses!!!!!   She is big time but very much on the down low.

I’m so looking forward to what will happen next! 

• Like 11

Loving the show so far but damn that has got to be the most psychologically, and emotionally  unhealthy work place ever! How do they get their jobs fine when they're constantly checking behind their backs? I wouldn't survive in a company like that.

• Like 9

After watching ep 2 i have a few speculation and judgement. Ji an is an honest person. She told ajusshi she killed someone. I guess that someone is that jang ki young/loan shark family members or friends. That explain why he want her to be jailled! 

• Like 10

That loan shark, is the younger brother of uri ahjussi the main lead? Forgot the character chart and the connections.

anyways, rarely di I watch a drama at the beginning without a few episodes out like 6 or 8. But I was really looking forward to seeing this show. It’s a little more darker than I expected but love the plot and characters. Also the potential lifeline between our leads. I cannot wait for future eps.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

The name on the envelope ( at the bottom edge) is in Korean but translation says Park Dong Hoon. But exec director Yoon said bribe money is for the other exec Park Dong Woon.  but since PDH is under PDW....so DJY trying to create scenario instead PDH took  bribe money

5 minutes ago, philosophie said:

That loan shark, is the younger brother of uri ahjussi the main lead? Forgot the character chart and the connections.

Nope. ahjussi Park Dong Hoon has two brothers one older  Park San Hoon one younger Park Gi Hoon

Now watching ep 2. Happy sub is quick thanks DF

• Like 7

Can someone help me out - I don't understand :

• how did Ji An get a hold of Do Joon-Young's cell phone numbers and knows that he set up the bribe scam.
  • why would Joon-Young pay her 10 million to get PDH fired? Wasn't it  just a mistake that the bribe was sent to him and not Director Park?

It is a bit weird that Ji An would show some principles, and say she will "work" to get the money instead of lowering herself and accepting blackmail.  Uh, so in her book of crimes she feels it is more noble/ethical to get two men fired from their livelihood than just taking money for keeping silent? Why? she has even stolen money?  I guess, she she said "oh you haven't had someone kill me" - she fears if she blackmails him he may go after her. But he may still try to kill her after she does her job for him anyway- to keep her silent.

• Like 8

@maddymappo she figured it out the affair, after  she found out  the one who called  DJ while in the elevator is  YH (DH wife). She's smart like that she put a cellphone inside his coat pocket, she blackmailed DJ.  She and the janitor guy were talking and he JY must have done something to do this bribe to the  exec director  DW. And then she saw DH phone with missed call from his wife which matches the one on the cellphone she  got from his coat pocket. 

Yes there was mistaken identity. The agenda of the bribe was to get DW fired but instead JY used it to his advantage and to also get DH fired. With DW fired, he think he'll be picked by the chairman, and with DH fired, he doesn't have to face his DH who was his junior in college. Me thinks the wife DH JY went to same college. Nobody knows the relationship of JY and the wife.

Done with ep 2. wow JA is cunning and smart.. you do what have to do to survive in this world she's living. She needs money to pay off the bsrtd loan shark KI.. how to get that much money?  She's quick witted, said so herself.  She's going to work for JY ( she in effect blackmailed him instead).  She's going to do something that will get the two Park. The manager and  director fired from the company. She knows the secret relationship of JY and YH.

JA and DH both carrying the heavy burdens on the shoulder.  Family and  survival is at the forefront.  JA has his only friend hacker/gamer boy. He owes her so he's helping her. She's getting beat up by KI  for not paying off loans ( and maybe for some other reasons). She found a way to get that money!

DH trying to keep his family's survival as well.  He is fortunate enough he's got  brothers to  dwell  on and get help if he's in trouble. There's also his mother.  But how long can that last. It's him who's paying off everything.  He also doesn't know about the wife's affair with JY.

I suspect that JA will not ruin DH as they become close. She's ruthless and tough, but there's also that goodness inside. If she chooses too.

We'll see breaking point here but which episode, that'll have to wait.  I'm waiting for episode 3 next week.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

K-Drama Reaction: My Ahjussi | Episode 1

my-ahjussi-episode-1-my-mister-iu.jpg?w=

“It’s not a story that says, ‘Reality should be like this,’ and it’s not a beautification of reality. Rather, it’s a drama that says, ‘There is this kind of reality.”

~ Lee Ji-eun (IU)

my-ahjussi-iu-pushing-hospital-bed.jpg?w=401

Dark. Grisly. Heavy. The first episode of My Ahjussi (My Mister) takes us to the bleak and tangled labyrinth of the main characters’ lives. To start off, let’s meet the three ahjussis and the stoic agassi.

• Park Dong-hoon (Lee Sun-kyun) – The second oldest of the three brothers and works as a manager at an engineering firm. He is someone who always try to stick to his morals and is also a loving sibling.

my-ahjussi-ep-1-lee-sun-kyun-my-mister.png?w=401

• Lee Ji-an (Lee Ji-eun/IU) – An agassi whose wretched fate turned her into an emotionless human being. She works as a temporary worker in the same engineering firm.

my-ahjussi-ep-1-iu-lee-ji-an-my-mister.png?w=401

• Park Sang-hoon (Park Ho-san) – The eldest of the three brothers who went broke after his business failed. He seems to be the brightest one among the siblings despite not even having a proper suit for his daughter’s wedding. I predict that he and Park Ki-hoon will provide the comical and lighthearted moments in the drama.

my-ahjussi-ep-1-park-ho-san-my-mister.png?w=401

• Park Ki-hoon (Song Sae-byuk) – The youngest sibling who was once invited to Cannes for his independent film but has failed to make it to the real world 20 years after.

my-ahjussi-ep-1-song-sae-byeok-my-mister.png?w=401

My Ahjussi is seasoned with numerous supporting characters who have their own weight to bear and who make the story even more complicated. Issues of poverty, infidelity, bribery and office politics have also been revealed.

Heart Pinch

The K-Drama genies were merciless and served us hard hitting scenes as early as the drama’s premiere. What I appreciate in My Ahjussi‘s storytelling is how no one was crying nor showing weakness yet it pinched a part of my heart.

Let’s go over some poignant moments in Episode 1. First, when Dong-hoon took a cash advance from his credit card to buy his older brother a suit and give him money for his daughter’s wedding. The simplicity of the scene played well to PDnim’s objective of showing Dong-hoon as a loving and generous brother.

my-ahjussi-ep-1-park-dong-hoon-giving-money-to-brother.png?w=401

Second, when  Ji-an was washing dishes at a restaurant and she took leftover food from dirty plates to eat at home. The straightforwardness of how her struggle was pictured is like a splash of cold water in my face.

Full review here: https://wp.me/p8yFfI-ayY

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2