[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, Raymond said:

Thanks again for another good article. But I am not sure if kindness alone would bring this kind of transformation and healing. Is it more to do with the incredible, beyond description, connection between these 2 souls? Is JA that kind? Kind enough to sacrifice herself for him? What's brought the transformation of DH, from 'as long as no one knows', to 'let everyone knows'?

Good questions! Would love to hear what others think, too, when they check into the thread. But I think you're right - it goes deeper than kindness. People were kind to JA "four times" throughout her life and that didn't really lead to transformative change. But DH was willing to fight for her, defend her openly, help her with her grandma, humiliate himself, etc. And JA was willing to use her street smarts to fight for him in ways no one else had. As their relationship developed, something raw and deep made them each take care of the other, kind of with abandon.

I liked what the author said here:

On 4/15/2024 at 9:58 PM, sweetroad said:

that love in any form--even in ways that are hard to label or define—can help us get through the struggles of life.

It reminded me of Fan Girl Verdict's conclusions when she finished her group re-watch of MM a couple years ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Good questions! Would love to hear what others think, too, when they check into the thread. But I think you're right - it goes deeper than kindness. People were kind to JA "four times" throughout her life and that didn't really lead to transformative change. But DH was willing to fight for her, defend her openly, help her with her grandma, humiliate himself, etc. And JA was willing to use her street smarts to fight for him in ways no one else had. As their relationship developed, something raw and deep made them each take care of the other, kind of with abandon.

I liked what the author said here:

It reminded me of Fan Girl Verdict's conclusions when she finished her group re-watch of MM a couple years ago.

Your pinpointing of exact relevant events in the drama is so convincing! JA also said it is easy to be a good person if got money. When one is absolutely penniless, in the bottom rank of the society, what can one offer to be kind?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Raymond said:

When one is absolutely penniless, in the bottom rank of the society, what can one offer to be kind?

So true - she had nothing to lose, so why not confront Kwang Il when he stole DH's wallet, and offer to even kill DJY for DH?! :grimace:

Have you been re-watching the drama lately? I tried to watch Episode 16 the other day, but it is sad to think about LSK no longer being with us.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sweetroad said:

So true - she had nothing to lose, so why not confront Kwang Il when he stole DH's wallet, and offer to even kill DJY for DH?! :grimace:

Have you been re-watching the drama lately? I tried to watch Episode 16 the other day, but it is sad to think about LSK no longer being with us.

It is still on my watch list after watching it 4 times. But also I need more time after the tragedy before rewatching it again (I just couldn't find any better drama with so much depth). But at the end many of my favorite movie stars or singers already dead, one suicided too, and I am still watching their movies and listening to their songs eventually.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 12:53 PM, sweetroad said:

But I think you're right - it goes deeper than kindness. People were kind to JA "four times" throughout her life and that didn't really lead to transformative change.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:26 PM, Raymond said:

Your pinpointing of exact relevant events in the drama is so convincing! JA also said it is easy to be a good person if got money. When one is absolutely penniless, in the bottom rank of the society, what can one offer to be kind?

I feel like there's a level of helpfulness in between the people who only helped four times and DH, and that's the janitor. I think he's as kind of a person as DH is, but just wasn't as knowledgeable to help with her grandma, or bold enough to confront the loan shark. But he's still the place JA goes when she's sick and needs help. Realistically people won't have be able to live up to what DH can do, but being as kind as the janitor is more than enough. 

On 4/19/2024 at 11:52 AM, sweetroad said:

I was able to rewatch the last few episodes recently. Strangely I didn't really feel jarred by it - maybe it because I don't really see My Mister as contributing to what happened to LSK. It was a lot different when I watched The Dark Knight for the first time as a kid and was convinced that playing the Joker contributed to Heath Ledger's unstable mental health. But I think it would be really tough to watch much of the first half of this show again, because DH is in such a rough shape there. 

• Like 1

On 30.03.2018 at 15:44, Yana Mujay said:

Spotkanie kogoś, kto cię rozumie, zdarza się rzadko, ale odkrycie, że ktoś nagle cię poznał, na pierwszy rzut oka jest cudem. Czego jeszcze chcesz? 

Jianaah po prostu przytul mocno tego Ahjussiego:D

I have been reading the "My Mister" drama and this thread on the forum six years later, yet many of your comments remain relevant and interesting. I particularly liked these two points you made, as I share the same opinion. 

I practically know this drama by heart now. I've written a lot about it on my Polish site about K-dramas (https://k-drama.pl). It's so addictive that now I find it difficult to watch anything else. Everything else seems trivial. As therapy to emotionally disentangle myself, I am writing my own version of fan fiction. If you're interested, take a look. It's here: https://k-drama.pl/drugiego-sezonu-juz-nie-bedzie/

Greets from Poland❣️🫶🇵🇱

• Like 2