[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I am confused over what's happening in ep. 03 but I don't care because it looks like things are heating up between Ahjusshi and Ji-An!

I found it super cute that she had to be on her tip toes to kiss him (sigh) height and age differences HA. Oh Lee Sun-Gyun's voice is very D-E-E-P like ocean deep. Ji-An is a total bad@$$, I love how curt she is in demanding money from Joon-Young, she really has him at the palm of her hand. Oh please just let there be a loveline for Ji-An/Dong-Hoon! The tension is too good to pass up YO. What a waste of gimbap - my reaction when Ki-Bum tossed it into the trash:crazy: 

Btw Ki-Bum and Ji-An make a awesome spy duo:wink:

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

I will say just that: if it hasn't any love story in, why are they playing with this huge chemistry? After this episode, I think it is difficult to me to think that it will be only a platonic relationship. And now, I'm beginning to think that saying that this show wasn't a romantic story was a white lie, just to calm down people, let them see how great and good the chemistry between the leads is and makes everybody fall in love with their "lovestore", and accept it. 'Cause, if in episode 2 I thought maybe I was being delusional, now after episode 3 and the scenes at the restaurant, at the underground and the forced kiss - plus the references about a possible relationship between them and his (too much) effort to negate it (almost like what netzens said lol), and what he said about temptation, it is impossible to me not to think in romance. So, It is not my fault, it is the drama's fault (and maybe the actors' chemistry fault) lol.

So, I think that, if in fact there won't have any romance here, the writer has now a big problem, 'cause I think that s/he will have a hard time to make me believe that it is a platonic approach what makes sense here. Besides, in my opinion, what reinforces this is the fact that, dispite being young, JA character appears to be so old, mature and without innocence. Yeah: without innocence looks to be the best description, so the relationship doens't sound to me like an old-young relationship, but an adult-adult one (and sometimes it looks like DH is the one who is naive, and she the old one). It is a pity my english isn't good enough to express what I really want say, lol, but what I'm trying to say is that it is an adult drama, so it doesn't shy away from the seduction/sexuality/attraction theme; even if she is playing with him, the fact is, that this play involves sedution, and he is being affect by it. The consequences of this writer's choice - when s/he put a physical/love seduction and deception (for now) in the narrative, imo, is that it makes difficult to believe that after that, they will only have a platonic/spiritual connexion. 

I'm loving the show. I'm talking much more about the (romantic lol) relationship between DH-JA because it is the more compeling to me. But I'm loving the office's politics and the characters. However, it is still hard to me to connect with DH' brothers. 

Bye :):wink: 

• Like 15

I am curious, does anyone know where it was said there would be no romance? Was it an article, tweet or direct message from the PD and writers? Just curious if maybe it wasn’t from a credible source and that they never actually said there wouldn’t be romance.

• Like 3

https://youtu.be/MD88xlYPTko

Ep. 5 preview translated:

Director Park: Take one look. See what sin that punk committed against you.

Ji-An: You tried to screw over the CEO. That should get you fired immediately.

Director Yoon: This is why you are still only a Department Head. ... You should hold him back, why are you holding me back!?!

Woman: I'm sorry... Director? (to Ki-Hoon)

Sang-Hoon: Did that girl like you?

Dong-Hoon: (VO) I had a feeling. That I am unlucky. (To Ji-An) Where are you going, this late at night?

Ji-An: People who live comfortably, it is easy for them to be good.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

My opinion on whether there will be romance, based on what we saw so far:

I actually think that their relationship will be something beyond conventional romance. Ji-An has been to hell and back. She's been regarding Dong-Hoon as nothing but someone she can use up and discard, for her own benefit. She's been in survival mode for a while, this is how she deals with others.

But I think she's shown signs from the very beginning that she is definitely feeling something: a mix of pity, sympathy, and kinship, perhaps? That explanation she gave him for why she kissed him sounded genuine. Her primary purpose was to get a photo that would cause a scandal and get him fired, sure. But her explanation was basically, "I'm miserable, you look miserable, too, so I was curious to see what would happen if our lips touched. But no, life just straight-up sucks for both of us, still." Which sounds very true, because it basically sums up their entire relationship.

So I think what they will be to each other is something beyond being lovers. Something more profound: two desperate and wounded souls reaching out to each other. It could be romance. It could be something else, too.

And I just love what Dong-Hoon did for his family, and how they'll never know about it. He's been their behind-the-scenes savior their entire lives, I guess. It was so heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, philosophie said:

I am curious, does anyone know where it was said there would be no romance? Was it an article, tweet or direct message from the PD and writers? Just curious if maybe it wasn’t from a credible source and that they never actually said there wouldn’t be romance.

Well this is what Lee Sun Kyun and IU said when the cast did the VLIVE interview a week or so ago:

“My Ahjussi” drew criticism ahead of its premiere when people suspected it may be a love story about a man in his 40s and a woman in her 20s.

Lee Sun Gyun clarified, “It’s not a love story, but a human story.” IU explained, “We’re not making a romance or fantasy drama, but telling a story about reality and people. It’s not a story that says, ‘Reality should be like this,’ and it’s not a beautification of reality. Rather, it’s a drama that says, ‘There is this kind of reality. How should we live?'”

source: https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/22/iu-responds-controversy-surrounding-storyline-violence-ahjussi/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ninaanin said:

I will say just that: if it hasn't any love story in, why are they playing with this huge chemistry? After this episode, I think it is difficult to me to think that it will be only a platonic relationship. And now, I'm beginning to think that saying that this show wasn't a romantic story was a white lie, just to calm down people, let them see how great and good the chemistry between the leads is and makes everybody fall in love with their "lovestore", and accept it. 'Cause, if in episode 2 I thought maybe I was being delusional, now after episode 3 and the scenes at the restaurant, at the underground and the forced kiss - plus the references about a possible relationship between them and his (too much) effort to negate it (almost like what netzens said lol), and what he said about temptation, it is impossible to me not to think in romance. So, It is not my fault, it is the drama's fault (and maybe the actors' chemistry fault) lol.

So, I think that, if in fact there won't have any romance here, the writer has now a big problem, 'cause I think that s/he will have a hard time to make me believe that it is a platonic approach what makes sense here. Besides, in my opinion, what reinforces this is the fact that, dispite being young, JA character appears to be so old, mature and without innocence. Yeah: without innocence looks to be the best description, so the relationship doens't sound to me like an old-young relationship, but an adult-adult one (and sometimes it looks like DH is the one who is naive, and she the old one). It is a pity my english isn't good enough to express what I really want say, lol, but what I'm trying to say is that it is an adult drama, so it doesn't shy away from the seduction/sexuality/attraction theme; even if she is playing with him, the fact is, that this play involves sedution, and he is being affect by it. The consequences of this writer's choice - when s/he put a physical/love seduction and deception (for now) in the narrative, imo, is that it makes difficult to believe that after that, they will only have a platonic/spiritual connexion. 

I'm loving the show. I'm talking much more about the (romantic lol) relationship between DH-JA because it is the more compeling to me. But I'm loving the office's politics and the characters. However, it is still hard to me to connect with DH' brothers. 

Bye :):wink: 

Your English is very impressive.  Yes, this show is playing with our mind.  LOL.  First they told us it's not romance, yet LSK-IU interaction is definitely charged, whether that is intentional or not.  Maybe like you said, the actors just can't help it if every time they appear on screen together, sparks fly.  So my take is that this is not a typical romance drama, but a human drama, and humans love all kinds of people.  So while romance is not the focus of the story, it doesn't necessarily mean the leads can't love each other, even romantically.  That is my hope anyway.

Now I am curious about Korean netizen thoughts on the leads' dynamics.  While international viewers seem to be okay with romance, are the Korean viewers still adamantly against it?  Does anyone know?

• Like 9

18 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

What are you talking about?  What images and gifs from DC forums?  Please share!!

Okay, I will post them! I have one saved but I don't know how to add photos from my computer to this forum. Any help?

When I click on..... Insert other media --> existing attachment.....nothing happens

• Like 1

I really love the progress in episode 3. I watched it yesterday and I was kind of expecting that it will be slow as the first two episodes, but I'm so glad that things are moving forward at a good pace. I love how JA worked well with the techie guy (I haven't really figured out who he is, are they siblings? I may have missed something) to spy on DH and DW. I love that JA can now get to know DH by listening in his conversations, although that's creepy (yet understandable).

I'm about to watch episode 4!

P.S. I've been trying to figure out how I feel about this series. I love the dark and gloomy atmosphere, but I also don't because these days, I'd rather watch light and funny shows. However, there's just something about this series that I can't give up. I can't stop watching it and I know I'd be hanging on until the end just to see how things progress, and how JA will build a relationship with the three brothers.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, aisling said:

EDIT:

I just finished episode 3. Wow, I have to say I’m completely hooked. Really hooked. It’s been awhile since I was so excited about any show! I have to say I found his two brothers very pitiful when they cleaned that place. But as their mother said it’s better doing something and earning money than doing nothing.

Ji An and her hacker friend pulled all spy moves, it was entertaining to watch. Though I have one quibble - how did her hacker friend know what kind of uniform to wear? It was the first time they followed Director Park, right? It’s not like every salon in Seoul has the same uniform.

With Director Park out, a main focus is now on Dong Hoon. Ji Ah is quite ruthless, she’s really tough and calculating. I wouldn’t want to get in her way, she’s scary. I guess her way of getting rid of DH is seducing him after all? Does she want to go all the way or did she kiss him only for that one photo? Does she want to blackmail him? But I think she did feel something when DH was defending her before his brother. I think she certainly didn’t expect him to talk about her as a kid, I think she began to see how kind and warm he truly is.

I can’t wait for DH to find out about his wife’s affair. Then the real s**t will hit the fan. I’m really curious how he’ll handle it because so far it looks more like it’s him who gives in first in their marriage.

@liddi wrote:

It is a surprise (and disappointment) to see Director PDW being ostentatiously taken down so easily, and I hope that this is merely a temporary setback in terms of the office dynamics, and we will see more of him down the road. To be honest, while meant to display LJA's ingenuity and resourcefulness, this part of the narrative suffers stretches of incredulity and unevenness in terms of execution - how her gamer friend manages to be prepared with a waiter uniform of that particular establishment; how convenient that she has technical resources at her disposal to bring down the two Parks including bugging PDH's phone, thus being one step ahead of them when it came to investigating the bribery incident, and continuing to keep tabs on PDH in anticipation of his future fall.

@aisling @liddi   sorry to cut your  posts, but just highlighted and put in bold some of your comments and observations that resonated with what I was thinking.

I also couldn't help but notice that for kids, Ji An and her young Games Player friend (we still do'n't know their relationship ( cousins perhaps? or EDIT:  Perhaps they met when she was in jail?) but he mentions she went into debt partly for him)  - they seem to be pros at setting people up for a fall.  I think that led CEO Do to ask Yoon Hee to find out her background.  The kid not only knew where to track down the guy in the club, and had that food delivery act,  but he quickly found out what the waiters wore and perhaps got into a locker room and got a uniform there. He also managed to get the drunk DHW into a hotel room in somewhere remote  etc.  and of course avoid the cctvs.  All of this cost money too, so even though they were going to make 10 million on bringing that guy down, they needed seed money. I suppose they used PDW's  credit card to put him in the hotel and perhaps to pay for a limo. But all this takes experience and even if they are desperadoes of sorts, they are both so very young to put this whole thing together.   One thing for sure - I couldn't do that

I am also wondering about how PDH is going to react when he finds out that Ji An bugged his cellphone and was setting him up, \and that CEO Do is having an affair with his wife.

Also wondering about that conversation between DJY and Yoon Hee when she asks him about his ex wife and he just responds they weren't married long. He really does not want to speak about it. I was thinking could it be that PDH  and his wife fell in love?  Doesn't seem possible for a guy like PDH.

From the beginning I had  a lot of sympathy for Ji an,  much like the sympathy PDH feels because  she is so young and her face shows such suffering, something terrible is happening or happened to her.  But I still could not really forgive her for destroying the lives of PDW and PDH.  We don't know much about PDW but to set out to entrap a man and get him fired, is a terrible thing to do.  I also hope he manages to land on his 2 feet.  At least get back to where he was.   Ji An is now hearing the dignified way PDH speaks about her, and how he defends his family and the hurt he felt because his mother saw his brother humiliated.  I think that got to her, because as a little girl (14 yrs old) she murdered that man who was attacking her grandma.  I was wondering how Yoon Hee found the record, because if she was considered a minor the records are usually sealed but perhaps she was convicted as an adult. It said 2 years?  She went to prison or detention? that would hardened anyone.  But if she was imprisoned as a child I would think they would have taught her some trade so she could get job.  We don't know all the details about the debt though.  It might have something to do with a civil case of wrongful death, she then owes the murdered man's family compensation.

Ji An's injuries are very realistic looking.  Good work make-up team!

For me the best part of the last two episodes, is in episode 3 when PDH tells Ji an that she can go ahead and tell them he didn't throw the bribe money away etc. - do her worst, he wasn't going to be jerked around by a kid.   Perhaps, as Ji An says,  PDH  is a prisoner of his own steadfastness and diligence in the life, but I love the fact that he holds on to his dignity.  I don't want him to lose that. Although I would like him to experience joy.

• Like 12

Just finished episode 4, guys!

What can I say? Even though I had high expectations for this drama it easily exceeded them all. Thanks to confident directing, unconventional writing and strong acting it deeply moves my soul like rarely any show. I was really shaken by this episode and we barely started their journey.

We learned a lot in this episode about Ji An past and her connection to Kwang Il. It seems like Kwang Il’s father was a loan shark too and abused Ji An’s grandma. One day KI’s father hit her grandma so hard Ji An couldn’t take it anymore and stabbed him to death. This is the reason why Kwang Il hates her and torments her so much. But truthfully it’s so hard to watch the scenes where he beats her... so chilling. Somehow I’m not shocked at all, it explains a lot about her current situation. She seemed to be in a juvenile detention for 2 years after that and that’s where she probably learned all those con tricks. She probably conned people for awhile but got caught and sent back to a detention centre again. She couldn’t take care of her grandma from there that’s probably when she decided to earn a living in legal way. 

It’s the first time we saw Ji An being unsettled, she was pretty shaken by Dong Hoon’s words and actions and there’s no way she wouldn’t fall for him “no romance” be damned. They barely know each other yet they understand each other the way his own wife can’t connect with him. Dong Hoon was so badass and so sexy when he went to confront that jerk. I loved that instead of fists he used his brain. I bet Ji An was a little impressed too.They are so utterly miserable and their relationship is going beyond romance in my opinion, their connection is too deep to be a just a mere normal romance.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I really want DH to realise soon about his wife. She really deserves a punishment and I think after going true hardship DH would change his life and the CEO and his wife/lover would face difficult time. If she do not love him why stay in the relatiinship and cheat. Does not seem like it could get better between them and she is ashame of DH. So why stay with him if she has a better option with her lover

• Like 8

2 hours ago, aisling said:

It’s the first time we saw Ji An being unsettled, she was pretty shaken by Dong Hoon’s words and actions and there’s no way she wouldn’t fall for him “no romance” be damned. They barely know each other yet they understand each other the way his own wife can’t connect with him. Dong Hoon was so badass and so sexy when he went to confront that jerk. I loved that instead of fists he used his brain. I bet Ji An was a little impressed too.They are so utterly miserable and their relationship is going beyond romance in my opinion, their connection is too deep to be a just a mere normal romance.

I couldn't believe that I could cry when the oldest brother revealed why he was crying all day long.  DH's  explanation that one shouldn't "do that" in front of another one's family said it all.  Everyone is having a hard time and yet everyone has different ways of facing it.  I'm glad too that DH is able to deal with the situation appropriately.  Serve him right!  DH's action definitely will affect JA's perception of him. 

In a way both are in a similar situation and DH's last word before the episode end kind of made me wonder too.  Why does he feel sad?  Is it because he doesn't wish that someone else has to go through what he is going through at the moment?  Especially a young person as JA is.  So is this part of the reality, that IU said in the interview? 

Spoiler

SONDIA – ADULT (어른) MY MISTER OST PART 2

Tears fall at the end of a long day
Where am I going?
I thought I was in enough pain
But I guess there’s still a lot left

As if I’m alone in this big world
No one tries to look into my heart
No one

When I close my eyes
I see myself and I tell myself
Not to get tired
To take a break for a moment
That the thick darkness
That doesn’t seem like it would leave
Will leave once I let myself go

Like a foreigner among laughing people
I’m the only one who seems like everything is lost
Was I just running forward mindlessly?
My dreams have gotten too far away now

Will this long sadness ever stop?
Will warm sunlight ever shine down on me?

Becoming myself
And seeing stars that will forever shine
I’m dreaming these kinds of sleepless dreams
But the foolish me
Only realized
That I’ll never be myself
Only after I opened my eyes

Becoming myself
And seeing stars that will forever shine
I’m dreaming these kinds of sleepless dreams
But the foolish me
Only realized
That I’ll never be myself
Only after I opened my eyes

On what day, at which time, at which place
Will my small world smile at me?

Credit to popgasa.com

• Like 11

I would admit, I didn't understand how I would watch 3 ahjussis weekly but damn their scene had me ugly crying in episode 4. This drama is sooooo good! It is painful to watch but that's what makes it special.

I can't believe it's only been 4 episodes?  Our characters don't even say much and yet it's like we have been on this journey with them for a while. Or is human suffering that we are all relating to?

I found Ji An frightening in episode 3 however with the backstory in episode 4, we understand her a bit.

The cast is doing an excellent job.They all fit their role perfectly. :heart::heart::heart:

I let my FMVs show how I feel about a drama. That's why I can't make one if I'm not into a show.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

The cast is doing an excellent job.They all fit their role perfectly. :heart::heart::heart:

I let my FMVs show how I feel about a drama. That's why I can't make one if I'm not into a show.

Nice FMV!  I was looking for one to put in the post and notice your name there!  You have captured the scene well.   

@Joseph Lim did you "hear" whether IU will have an OST in the drama?

• Like 6

9 hours ago, chickfactor said:

But I think she's shown signs from the very beginning that she is definitely feeling something: a mix of pity, sympathy, and kinship, perhaps? That explanation she gave him for why she kissed him sounded genuine. Her primary purpose was to get a photo that would cause a scandal and get him fired, sure. But her explanation was basically, "I'm miserable, you look miserable, too, so I was curious to see what would happen if our lips touched. But no, life just straight-up sucks for both of us, still." Which sounds very true, because it basically sums up their entire relationship.

So I think what they will be to each other is something beyond being lovers. Something more profound: two desperate and wounded souls reaching out to each other. It could be romance. It could be something else,

Very well said, could not have said it better myself. It is like 2 soldiers who have gone to war, battled and survived. Their kinship/relationship will be something deeper and as you said more profound only they can understand.  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Yongzura said:

Nice FMV!  I was looking for one to put in the post and notice your name there!  You have captured the scene well.   

@Joseph Lim did you "hear" whether IU will have an OST in the drama?

This was from the V Live interview.

IU will not be doing OST for this drama too, however it does not mean be she will not have insert song like she did with MLSHR and Producer.

Only PD and IU know if IU will have insert song for this drama.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I tried to have an open mind to understand DH's wife reason to cheat. But at this point, she's just unredeemable. I dislike her so much:wacko: 

I'm curious.. Do you guys think DH should reconcile with his wife as his happy ending? Or it's better for him to divorce her and find a new love? I wonder if at some point their son (who is studying abroad right now) will come back to South Korea and change their relationship dynamic. 

As much as I'm liking the chemistry between JA and DH, I think they are more suitable being best friends than a couple. (I can sort of see her having a one-sided puppy love towards him along the way, though! But probably won't be responded by the goody two-shoes DH.) :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1