Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

8 hours ago, saya2 said:

How funny the fans when they said how can twenty year old girl fall in love with fourty five year old guy and don’t want romance between them but in goblin they don’t mind thousand year old guy to fall in love with high school girl just because he looks young  :lol::lol:

for me I really don’t mind if there is love story between the leads I think they will be beautiful couple

Hello! First time posting here :).

I agree with you, I don't mind either. 

I really don't understand why all this turmoil about age gap. First of all, this is a show, a fiction and in fiction I think we can assume that an author can use her/his freedom of creation to compose things that can be or have an appearance of unusual, to make us see things differently. So, if we have a prejudice against age gap, a beautifull lovestory about a couple in this kind of situation could help us to understand people who in real life would experience this and be more tolerant towards them, even if we wouldn't accept that situation for ourselves. I think in arts and fiction there are two kinds of freedom: freedom of creation and freedom of choice. An author can create what s/he wants, the public have the freedom (if there is the access to) to watch/read/listen it (and like or dislike it) and to not watch/read/listen it (whatever are the reasons). Any other attitude is censorship, imo. 

Second, in real life, there are plenty of couples with great age gap (in both direction). Is this immoral? Is this ilegal when both are adults? Are those couples living in sin? 

So, if it makes sense, narratively wise, I see no problem in a lovestory with age gap. And, in my opinion, here is a case that it would make sense, more than only a friendship. In fact, it was the potential of the love store that brought me to watch this show. And I hope that the writer and producer don't give in to this kind of censorship and, if it was their original intent, dare to tell a lovestory, because it makes sense lol. 

So, the dynamic that I sense between the two leads is not platonic. First, because the kind of "attraction", curiosity that he has towards her isn't just friendly, it is more than that: she disturbes and confuses him; subjectively, I'm really feeling a subtle and latent sexual tension between them, in special during the last scene of ep. 2. Am I delusional? Maybe lol.  

Btw, I can really enjoy a drama without loveline :). But, when I think that romance makes sense, I don't see why we couldn't enjoy it, if it is the writer intention. :wink: 

• Like 14

1.jpg

The subway train scene. I love this scene because it speaks a lot about the current relationship of Ji An and Dong Hoon. Two can see each other vaguely. The intentions are not clear in Dong Hoon eye's after the money incident. He is the one looking at her, while Ji An does not give any fuss about him standing beside her.

Also the realism of this show is constantly displayed, the scene has no BGMs, only the sound of subway 's tracks, the voice over from the system, the opening and closing of doors. It is real and I am glad that this was not interpreted by the PD in theatrical way. The absence of any music fading in or out only strengthens the scene as tensed as it was.

Second was the pub scene with Dong Hoon and Director Yoon. The nuisance of the sound effects are crisp with echoing Director Yoon thus adding more confused and disoriented Dong Hoon . I just appreciate how the sound director is dedicated on each of details. 

1.jpg

Spoiler

and waves to @liddi, good to see you again after NIF2 ^^ 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, saya2 said:

How funny the fans when they said how can twenty year old girl fall in love with fourty five year old guy and don’t want romance between them but in goblin they don’t mind thousand year old guy to fall in love with high school girl just because he looks young  :lol::lol:

for me I really don’t mind if there is love story between the leads I think they will be beautiful couple

kekeke so we can call it "Handsome Ahjussi Who Buys Me Food"  :lol: 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

3 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

The subway train scene. I love this scene because it speaks a lot about the current relationship of Ji An and Dong Hoon. Two can see each other vaguely. The intentions are not clear in Dong Hoon eye's after the money incident. He is the one looking at her, while Ji An does not give any fuss about him standing beside her.

Also the realism of this show is constantly displayed, the scene has no BGMs, only the sound of subway 's tracks, the voice over from the system, the opening and closing of doors. It is real and I am glad that this was not interpreted by the PD in theatrical way. The absence of any music fading in or out only strengthens the scene as tensed as it was.

Second was the pub scene with Dong Hoon and Director Yoon. The nuisance of the sound effects are crisp with echoing Director Yoon thus adding more confused and disoriented Dong Hoon . I just appreciate how the sound director is dedicated on each of details. 

You named two of my favorite scenes, especially the last one, in the pub.  Not many words were said yet so much was told.  You said it well.

5 hours ago, ninaanin said:

So, the dynamic that I sense between the two leads is not platonic. First, because the kind of "attraction", curiosity that he has towards her isn't just friendly, it is more than that: she disturbes and confuses him; subjectively, I'm really feeling a subtle and latent sexual tension between them, in special during the last scene of ep. 2. Am I delusional? Maybe lol.  

Btw, I can really enjoy a drama without loveline :). But, when I think that romance makes sense, I don't see why we couldn't enjoy it, if it is the writer intention. :wink: 

Of course you're not the only one sensing something between them that is beyond casual curiosity.  I'll bet many are seeing something stronger.  But I am tamping down hard any desire to see them go the romantic route because the production team seems to have caved into viewers' demand to keep romance out of their dynamic.  Besides, our view is not the popular one. :-)

• Like 8

7 hours ago, ninaanin said:

Hello! First time posting here :).

I agree with you, I don't mind either. 

I really don't understand why all this turmoil about age gap. First of all, this is a show, a fiction and in fiction I think we can assume that an author can use her/his freedom of creation to compose things that can be or have an appearance of unusual, to make us see things differently. So, if we have a prejudice against age gap, a beautifull lovestory about a couple in this kind of situation could help us to understand people who in real life would experience this and be more tolerant towards them, even if we wouldn't accept that situation for ourselves. I think in arts and fiction there are two kinds of freedom: freedom of creation and freedom of choice. An author can create what s/he wants, the public have the freedom (if there is the access to) to watch/read/listen it (and like or dislike it) and to not watch/read/listen it (whatever are the reasons). Any other attitude is censorship, imo. 

Second, in real life, there are plenty of couples with great age gap (in both direction). Is this immoral? Is this ilegal when both are adults? Are those couples living in sin? 

So, if it makes sense, narratively wise, I see no problem in a lovestory with age gap. And, in my opinion, here is a case that it would make sense, more than only a friendship. In fact, it was the potential of the love store that brought me to watch this show. And I hope that the writer and producer don't give in to this kind of censorship and, if it was their original intent, dare to tell a lovestory, because it makes sense lol. 

I am watching the show and appreciating the slight Misaeng-esque vibe that the drama gives me from time to time, [the director is awesome here no doubt], since half of the show is like a mind-game, almost have no words, and we are only following the characters who are busy analyzing those around them, [like dong hoon after he realized the big mess he's in, or ji an when she discovers that dong hoon's being cheated on, moroever his partner is in a secret relationship with the guy who's throwing him under a bus], also a round of applause goes to director Park who figures out quickly, the secret agenda. But anyway coming back to your post, this was exactly my point also. A writer shouldn't in any circumstances give in to audience's desire. Censorship shouldn't happen just cause some of the viewers aren't open to it. Also, just because the majority or a certain percentage of people think this way doesn't make their pov right. But there shouldn't be any right or wrong here either, since it's the writer's story we're listening to, so why tailor make the script as per audience demand? This is rather sad indeed since we won't get to know what the original storyline could have been like. 

Also like you said, there's nothing wrong with two individuals, grown-ups with sane mindset agreeing to have a relationship, lol, I know this isn't happening as tvn or so many people try to confirm again and again, but since the topic is on the surface, I thought about raising the question. I also loved what you said about freedom of creation and freedom of choice. Exactly, we always have the choice to read something and enjoy it or if the content disturbs us, then to keep it aside. This always happens with books, so why not with tv media too? There's also this growing practice of considering the opposite type of age-gap relationships like noona romances to see in a positive light, but this doesn't happen when the guy is older lol. Not that I have any problem with any of the romances lol, but I am seeing this pattern so that's why I wonder.  Like a poster above jokingly said, we could call it pretty ahjussi who buys me food, haha I mean why not? We didn't have issues with 'Secret love affair', so what's soo jarring about two people liking each other who are going through same phases in life?

I haven't noticed any so called latent attraction that you feel towards an opposite, but I can sense what you are talking about. Do Hoon did look at Ji An many times in both the episodes, and this even started before the accusation occured. Anyway I will be too sad, if nothing happens between them lol, haha I don't believe that a guy and a girl can be friends, especially here, where there are so many possibilities of them coming to like each other. Of course, some become friends, but only after they didn't click or something else came in between, 'or' when there isn't any slightest attraction between them. But I bet we wouldn't have any problem, if Ji An was a bit older like 27-30? Except for this self imposed taboo, I don't see any issue here but that should be the topic for another debate lol. Sorry for the long post, but your pov was refreshing and I couldn't stop myself from writing what I felt. Thank you!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I just started watching this and the vibes seem like my style. Big fan of tvn and Lee Ji Eun (esp since Scarlett Heart) can't wait to see her improvement in this one

• Like 7

On 3/25/2018 at 1:40 AM, jongski said:

It's more pity when she looked in to his eyes. She knows the wife and DJY having relations but he doesn't have any clue at all hence that look to him. I also doubt she'll destroy him.  She's ruthless but inside she's got a heart.

At this point. she needs money. That's priority. The opportunity to blackmail DJY is there so.. why not.  being  cunning , quick witted that she's  even the one who told him what she'll do..

I also do not think that she will destroy PDH.

DJY is another story, a dangerous, hungry, ambitious who wants that Chairman job. He is also as smart as JA, so I am looking forward to the strategic contest between them

• Like 7

One of my favorite scenes. These kinds of scene make the drama so different..:)

Spoiler

YGcE6ba.gif

whAZt4Q.gif

6mCtQ9p.gif

9QpzBPR.gif

In the beginning scenes... Before JiAn took the coffee, she took a handful of barley tea..

EdQrOY5.gif

t9lNgmS.jpg

She has only drunk coffee........ Did she take the tea for someone or she likes to drink it too? I hope, someday, this girl will find some peaceful time to drink her barley tea -_-

Gifs/pics credit: My Mister DCgall

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Chellsee said:

tvN twitter update with official stills. :wub:

I love IU's hair in this scene but why is it when I do something like it I end up looking like I just woke up/didn't take a bath for days?

Edited by Ais1ing
Please do not quote images
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5

He's like hey kid, look at me and the mess I'm in because of you, and she's totally avoiding his eye contact.

DZNyC07VAAIxXrb.jpg

• Like 10

I'm really disappointed that the drama is having a huge pressure from Korean netizens to not have a romance line between the two leads. Especially with the fact that what got me into the drama was the peculiarity of IU and Lee Sun Kyun's couple. There's something interesting and attracting, that makes you want to see them together on screen. Other than that, I feel like the original script included their romance and production team was forced into changing some things and that's never a good thing for a drama....

Hope all those unnecessary demands won't mess up to deliver the message which was intended from the start, the drama is very promising

• Like 14

Reading about age gap here. I think age gap does bother me sometimes when it is clearly just an older guy who has everything who happens to meet the cute very young perky girl who adds zest to his life. Yeech, just turns me off. But this storyline is very different. We see a man in a bad marriage,  who is the financial support of his whole family, and who is very expert in his field and very honest, and hard working but overlooked or doesn't know how to play the game, so he is passed over at work and even pushed aside by others.   He doesn't even know yet, that his college junior who is now CEO, is also having an affair with his wife. What a loser!  Finally in a desperate moment he goes bad, and thinks he can make some easy money, Poof! it is all a trap and he is caught.  People with good karma are caught as as soon as they go wrong, actually sign of a good person.   

She is very young only around 20.  From what we know, she is in huge debt to loan sharks. We don't know why but know she says she "killed a person".   The loan shark stalks her and beats her up and even sees it as an oppty to put her in jail when he learns the money is stolen. He has it in for her perhaps because of the persons she killed. We don't know yet what happened.  We also know she is in such dire straights she sneaks her grandma out of the nursing home she can't afford to pay and is willing to steal money. She is hugely resourceful.  Sneaking out grandma,  getting lights turned off to steal the money,  starting car alarm to get back money she gave loan sharks etc.   She is so desperate, even beaten up.   Her instincts are super fast. Snatches the CEO's private cell phone,  recognized PDH"s wife telephone number, seems to know CEO also wants to get rid of PDW. etc.  Her despair leads her to ruthless decisions.  She will "work" for CEO to get these guys fired from their jobs.

But there is something else.  Ji An also instinctively knows that PDH is attracted to her.  He sees she is desperate and beaten. He even mistakenly now believes she put the bribe money in the garbage to save him.   And Ji An knows that.  She will use it - to help herself and set him up for another fall - it appears.     

I can see how these to "losers' in life are coming together. How the attraction begins and the kinds of forces and frustrations that will inevitably bring these two together.   So it is not just a simple little May/Dec love affair between a middle aged guy with a taste for pretty young things.  It much more complex and understandable in the context of this plot.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

This is so well written.  I kept nodding my head as I read it.  Thank you for a thoughtful analysis of why this is a couple (in whatever sense) like no other.

2 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Reading about age gap here. I think age gap does bother me sometimes when it is clearly just an older guy who has everything who happens to meet the cute very young perky girl who adds zest to his life. Yeech, just turns me off. But this storyline is very different. We see a man in a bad marriage,  who is the financial support of his whole family, and who is very expert in his field and very honest, and hard working but overlooked or doesn't know how to play the game, so he is passed over at work and even pushed aside by others.   He doesn't even know yet, that his college junior who is now CEO, is also having an affair with his wife. What a loser!  Finally in a desperate moment he goes bad, and thinks he can make some easy money, Poof! it is all a trap and he is caught.  People with good karma are caught as as soon as they go wrong, actually sign of a good person.   

She is very young only around 20.  From what we know, she is in huge debt to loan sharks. We don't know why but know she says she "killed a person".   The loan shark stalks her and beats her up and even sees it as an oppty to put her in jail when he learns the money is stolen. He has it in for her perhaps because of the persons she killed. We don't know yet what happened.  We also know she is in such dire straights she sneaks her grandma out of the nursing home she can't afford to pay and is willing to steal money. She is hugely resourceful.  Sneaking out grandma,  getting lights turned off to steal the money,  starting car alarm to get back money she gave loan sharks etc.   She is so desperate, even beaten up.   Her instincts are super fast. Snatches the CEO's private cell phone,  recognized PDH"s wife telephone number, seems to know CEO also wants to get rid of PDW. etc.  Her despair leads her to ruthless decisions.  She will "work" for CEO to get these guys fired from their jobs.

But there is something else.  Ji An also instinctively knows that PDH is attracted to her.  He sees she is desperate and beaten. He even mistakenly now believes she put the bribe money in the garbage to save him.   And Ji An knows that.  She will use it - to help herself and set him up for another fall - it appears.     

I can see how these to "losers' in life are coming together. How the attraction begins and the kinds of forces and frustrations that will inevitably bring these two together.   So it is not just a simple little May/Dec love affair between a middle aged guy with a taste for pretty young things.  It much more complex and understandable in the context of this plot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] First Impressions - "My Mister"

aphoto958989.jpg

I've been posting about "My Mister" so much in these dailies, so I'm pretty sure nobody is surprised by the fact that I created a new type of piece for a first look at the drama's premiere week. Leave your wishes of ideal living, romantic fulfillment, and knights in shining armor at the door, folks, because "My Mister"offers no perfect people and no easy solutions so far.

I think what I'm most surprised, and happy about is that we don't have a bubbly leading woman who remains a bright beacon of impossible standards throughout her troubles. Lee Ji-an (IU) is a broken person living on pure instinct for survival. She finds solutions that solely revolve around her making do and taking care of her own with minimum harm to others when possible and not majorly detrimental to her goals. I'm also really enjoying IU in this role so far.

Dong-hoon and Ji-an having a drinkJi-an sharing an elevator with the bosses

Park Dong-hoon (Lee Sun-kyun) is no savior or moral high standard either. He's bitter, annoyed by the unfairness of his job, tired of his routine and the pressures he faces as the sole breadwinner of his family. Even though a romance would be possible with the current set up, it's really not that kind of a relationship at this point, and this feels good. The conflicts and possible bonding are there, but they don't fit into, or need to fit into the often narrow drama definitions.

Joon-yeong and a frustrated Yoon-heeGi-hoon, Dong-hoon and Sang-hoon

"My Mister" in its entirety so far doesn't, after all. It's not about grand drama, but about the dramatic in the mundane. It's a slow burn through a tiresome life, where the end goal can only be for the characters to find some peace in it, rather than fulfill all their dreams. As for the "controversy" over the portrayed violence, it's as ridiculous as I expected, so nothing worth addressing there. I commend the show for not cowering away from the nuances of toxic masculinity and violence against women.

"My Mister" is not easily digestible entertainment, and there is no neatly laid out light at the end of its tunnel. It's not an easy watch, and I may have to give it a break from time to time, but this could definitely be a great series well worth experiencing.

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

https://www.hancinema.net/orion-s-daily-ramblings-first-impressions--my-mister-116965.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi! Do you mind if I join in on all the fun? I love IU in Moon Lovers! And I love her in Dream High :). Pil Suk will always be my favorite! I'm just kidding. I love all her roles. Well, I'm happy she's come back with another drama :D. I look forward to discussing this drama with all of you :).

Edited by 2handsintertwined
  • Like 9