[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Yaaaassssss!!!! Stellar episode!!! 15 out of 10!! That's what a first episode should look and feel like! 

I was looking forward to this drama because the synopsis looked like an adult story. Dayum!!!! It hasnt let me down!. Despite the haters ragging on IUs acting or the male cast, I expected something good, but this one blows it out of the park!! My expectations have been met and exceeded. I expect the drama to do well, and after the finale,  I will place IU in the big girls league.  :D Episode 1 has put her foot in that door already.

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Is there a way to watch the recorded VLIVE talk with subs?  Curious to see what they said during the meet.

VLIVE doesn't always save their live streams on their website, but maybe you can check the original link later if they will have it: http://www.vlive.tv/video/63978

There's the raw file (no subtitles) of it on twitter if you still want to see it. GIL_TV30 posted it on Twitter.

Here are some screenshots from the VLIVE, if you haven't seen it already:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ayame said:

VLIVE doesn't always save their live streams on their website, but maybe you can check the original link later if they will have it: http://www.vlive.tv/video/63978

There's the raw file (no subtitles) of it on twitter if you still want to see it. GIL_TV30 posted it on Twitter.

Thank you.  So sad to have missed it.  :(

• Like 3

Oh boy. Just paused the drama for sec. I'm watching Ep 1 with sub and  30 minutes into the ep. I'm feeling it's dark and depressing mood. I'm not sure how to put it but the tone of the drama.. it's... I dunno.. it's NOT glossy. You'll know when you see it. Chingus here. What do you call that type? Well coming from the PD of Signal and Writer of Oh Hae Young. I'm expecting this to be good. I see the closeness of the 3 brothers. Each of them carrying  burden on their onw.  IU as Ji An. I actually like her. She's cutie cute in this drama and she's living a hard life. For those lurking or checking this thread  If you watch it you'll see what I mean. I'm only 30 minutes in to the drama. Resuming now. More when I'm done. 

Edit to add:   LSK as PDH is a married man here so....no love line. At least I think. I'll finish the rest of the Ep 1 now. It's quite long. Almost an 1 hr and 30. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wotad said:

How was the first episode what type of drama is this. 

It was gritty and dark, with everyone having burdens to bear.  But the acting is superb, the story rich and layered, the scenes beautiful, and there is even an element of comic in it.  This is a slice-of-life human drama populated by a cast of veteran actors and a few younger ones tackling non-conventional role, and everyone has been impressive.  As long as you don't come expecting swoony romances or glamorous young actors acting older than their ages, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

It was gritty and dark, with everyone having burdens to bear.  But the acting is superb, the story rich and layered, the scenes beautiful, and there is even an element of comic in it.  This is a slice-of-life human drama populated by a cast of veteran actors and a few younger ones tackling non-conventional role, and everyone has been impressive.  As long as you don't come expecting swoony romances or glamorous young actors acting older than their ages, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

nah i hate swoony romances and child plots , i might give this a watch. 

I mean i loved Save Me which was dark. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Wotad said:

nah i hate swoony romances and child plots , i might give this a watch. 

I mean i loved Save Me which was dark. 

Then if dark dramas are you thing, then you certainly should give this a try.  Would love to see what you think about the first two episodes.

• Like 5

Netizenbuzz came out with  this article that totally had me scratching my head.  What in the world is wrong with people to be thinking this way?  I have never encountered this kind of nonsense in any other dramas I follow, so is it  IU's fans acting crazy again?  I know when JKY casting was announced many people immediately assumed he is the second lead and thus hoped there would be a love line (unrequited or otherwise) with IU.  And while it's apparent to us who actually watch that he is neither the second lead nor even a good guy, these people seem not able to get it out of their heads that their pre-assumptions of a love line were all wrong!  Maybe the director should not have given this violent character to someone who has acted lovey-dovey with IU before, because some of her fans will want to continue shipping him with IU.  Sorry for my incongruous rant.

Article: [Official] KCSC reps, "IU's assault scene in 'My Ajusshi' is under discussion"

Source: Sports Chosun via Nate

1. [+1,329, -151] Why is everyone quick to agree that dramas that romanticize affairs are wrong but scenes like this that glamorize violence as affection isn't? Why is it the men who are getting mad and saying it isn't dating violence?

2. [+1,137, -146] The producers need to shut up with their excuse saying there's "a reason for the violence scene"... so can violence be justified as long as there's a reason? Are viewers supposed to just accept violence as long as there's a story to it?

3. [+160, -15] I would've just let it pass and felt bad for the female character if she was getting beat by a character who's irrelevant to the story but he's not irrelevant, he's actually the second male lead and someone who ends up having a crush on her later... it's frustrating that violence gets justified with love all the time.

4. [+81, -16] I actually think it was lazy of the director to think that violence was the only way to portray a character's evil. There are tons of other options... It's doubly upsetting to hear that the male character had to exert violence just to get the female character to notice him... The idea that it's okay for a man to bully a woman just because he likes her is such backwards thinking...

5. [+59, -4] Why isn't the scriptwriter or the producer who let this scene pass being called in for investigation???? Were they insane to think this was okay?

6. [+54, -9] Why are men getting so angry over the fact that women are feeling uncomfortable with this scene??? As a fellow man, I don't get it;; do you all jack off to watching scenes of women getting violently beat??

7. [+50, -2] I think the drama's entire premise is just wrong. Why would a woman in her early twenties heal and treat herself by meeting some married man in his forties? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ In real life, I'd be grateful if old men like him stayed away from me... Every single scene in this drama makes me uncomfortable. The drama could've easily replaced IU with another male student in his early twenties and convey the same thing.

8. [+45, -9] I feel like IU enjoys these types of concepts... the 'Leon', 'Matilda' type relationships... with loli and ajusshi themes. She's always stuck to those types of dramas. She even did a 'Matilda' concept for 'Infinity Challenge'... and dated an ajusshi in real life...

9. [+33, -5] To all of you idiots defending this scene saying there are more violent scenes in American dramas... well the difference is that they don't justify it by calling it romantic ㅋㅋㅋ violence is only ever used in criminal genres

10. [+24, -2] It's the same scriptwriter from 'Oh Hae Young', I always thought it was gross how she'd always write the two leads to always fight and end up kissing

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

These comments just make me face palm.. no romance is going to happen between them. At least from what im reading from the actors. 

. [+1,137, -146] The producers need to shut up with their excuse saying there's "a reason for the violence scene"... so can violence be justified as long as there's a reason? Are viewers supposed to just accept violence as long as there's a story to it?

Yes you are.. violence between a loan shark and someone who didnt pay is real life.. 

• Like 10

@sadiesmith As a long-time kpop & kdrama fan, I'd say that Netizenbuzz is known for only translating negative comments on their site. That's how they get a lot of people to visit their site really. In terms of the negative comments, they're not really coming from IU's fans. At least on Twitter, a lot of IU fans are upset at all the negative comments. A lot of the negative comments are coming from just random people who have not even watched the drama yet and just give their opinion without watching it. I would say NetizenDrama has more of an accurate netizen response: http://netizendrama.blogspot.my/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Pausing again.  After an hour in to this drama. I still have the same reaction.  It's dark, depressing..and yes violent in that Lee Gwang (the character by JKY) beats Ji An (IU). It's nasty but I'm an hour into the drama ( my thoughts for  first 30 mins of this drama in prev page). But I still have 30 minutes and episode 2 to finish to know exactly what happened between them.  More when I'm done. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

9 minutes ago, Ayame said:

@sadiesmith As a long-time kpop & kdrama fan, I'd say that Netizenbuzz is known for only translating negative comments on their site. That's how they get a lot of people to visit their site really. In terms of the negative comments, they're not really coming from IU's fans. At least on Twitter, a lot of IU fans are upset at all the negative comments. A lot of the negative comments are coming from just random people who have not even watched the drama yet and just give their opinion without watching it. I would say NetizenDrama has more of an accurate netizen response: http://netizendrama.blogspot.my/

Thank you for the clarification.  But if what they say is true, that the production is under investigation for that violent scene, then the negative comments have obviously made an impact.  This show has been battered enough.  I also hate it that the actors have to explain things to calm down all the "concerns" and accusations.  Let the story unfold, for heavens' sakes, let us keep guessing where the relationship goes.  That's part of the fun. 

Finally, it worries me that they are still only shooting episode 5, judging from an instagram post I saw two days ago.  Hope for smooth sailing from here on out.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you for the clarification.  But if what they say is true, that the production is under investigation for that violent scene, then the negative comments have obviously made an impact.  This show has been battered enough.  And it worries me that they are still only shooting episode 5, judging from an instagram post I saw two days ago.

That is true. I'm thinking they may get a low-level warning like Voice did when it aired: https://www.soompi.com/2017/02/22/voice-responds-korean-communications-standards-commissions-advisory-warning/

I assume they're still shooting episode 5 since they had to re-film a lot of scenes after ODS left. I'm hoping the schedule won't be too hectic for the cast and staff.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Ayame said:

Thanks for this site never seen it before ;p 

• Like 4