[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

On 3/24/2018 at 12:44 PM, sadiesmith said:

Right.  Isn't this great?  This company politics stuff is a pleasant surprise actually.  Usually corporate shenanigans are my least favorite things in a drama, but somehow the way it involves every character here makes me sit up and take notice of every detail.  I already knew coming into this drama that we will see characters going through pain and suffering, family dynamics of all kinds, maybe some romance between side characters, but never thought that corporate politics would be so much front and center, and our two leads are caught right in the middle.  I am thoroughly enjoying the ride.

what I notice about corporate Kdramas they are set up to be like "game of thrones" and mostly focus on the heirs of wealthy families competing for the "throne" who are usually "male". The starting point here is also the same, but the competing members are not family but office workers  from the chairman down to the temp. I like that the story is office based and involves the families of the characters. If a romance develops, it will even be better especially if the characters will be tested to develop that romance.  

• Like 5

Jumping right in after having binge watched one and two. I needed a fix after that terrible Misty ending and omg this was good!!!

And I couldn’t believe that was IU, all I know is she’s a former idol and some big singer, she’s fantastic! I really couldn’t tell! A million times better than Joy, whom I just saw in some other show and whose performance was utterly forgettable.

But really, I’m in this for Lee Seun Gyun, been his fan since Coffee Prince days and really, really loving this show so far! 

Really liking the unusual theme of the show - middle aged male problems - and think I might just get hubby to try it too.

Just saw that this was produced by the Signal PD and the Oh Hae Yong writer. I loved both shows, especially Signal!

yay on finding a new show...and hi there @zenya22 @maddymappo :)

• Like 13

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Jumping right in after having binge watched one and two. I needed a fix after that terrible Misty ending and omg this was good!!!

And I couldn’t believe that was IU, all I know is she’s a former idol and some big singer, she’s fantastic! I really couldn’t tell! A million times better than Joy, whom I just saw in some other show and whose performance was utterly forgettable.

But really, I’m in this for Lee Seun Gyun, been his fan since Coffee Prince days and really, really loving this show so far! 

Really liking the unusual theme of the show - middle aged male problems - and think I might just get hubby to try it too.

Just saw that this was produced by the Signal PD and the Oh Hae Yong writer. I loved both shows, especially Signal!

Hi @justamom, welcome to the thread.  So glad you found the show and enjoyed the first two.   I am also here for LSG, and also like you, I dragged my husband into live watching this.  We usually prefer to marathon finished dramas, because we don't have the patience to wait.  But I make exceptions for LSG dramas and every single one has been worth it.  I have really enjoyed his nuanced performance so far.  His character has not actively done anything, things are just kind of falling apart around him, so he has not had the chance to show much.  I am hoping to see his story picking up speed soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jongski said:

The drama is dark  gloomy and scenes between JKY and IU are rough and violent  but both all smiles during bts. Good too see.  

So tvN how about smiling LSK  post too?

Have you seen the latest BTS?  LSK is all smiles there.

• Like 5

Just watched the 2 episodes and reading the opinions in this thread helped me understand the story a lot better, thank you so much :)

I find this show addictive in so many ways. I like it's color and atmosphere, some parts remind me a bit of Misaeng and turned out the drama is being directed by the same director, and I was not surprised...

It's a slice of life drama but it also makes your brain work constantly and also has the thrilled, mystery vibe/elements. And the acting is just brilliant. It has all the things that keep viewers craving for more and more.

Gosh, JiAn is one unique female character. How can you not like her? IU is totally nailing the role of JiAn... (When JiAn knew about the relation between DJY and DH's wife, you can see a lot sympathy in her eyes when she looks at DH but still she manages to keep her usual cold/stony face. IU wowed me in that scene...) She's always been a good actress to me and i'm glad she found this drama that can really show all her acting potential :wub:

lhhnigp.gif

395y6nF.gif

"Why would you trust me? That's lame... I will just do it, is all"

Ib37xNq.gif

Cr. IU DCgall

• Like 15

This might be a well known fact, but I was truly surprised when I found out IU and Jang Ki Yong (aka Handsome Loan Shark) had worked together before. He appeared not in one but two of her MVs where they played lovers. They displayed totally different chemistry there.

Red Shoes MV

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Friday MV

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, justamom said:

.Reading about IU's life I am really impressed. Her parents had to move  away from the city in pursuit of work when she was little and she and her brother went to live with her grandma and cousins in a studio apt.  Very very poor.  She was turned down after 20 auditions.  And she was scammed by an "entertainment agency"  - interesting because the character she played in You're the Best Lee Soon Shin  also gets scammed by an entertainment agency.  Now she is a top idol.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, justamom said:

Yay! I might be in and out of this forum too!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, saya2 said:

How funny the fans when they said how can twenty year old girl fall in love with fourty five year old guy and don’t want romance between them but in goblin they don’t mind thousand year old guy to fall in love with high school girl just because he looks young  :lol::lol:

for me I really don’t mind if there is love story between the leads I think they will be beautiful couple

Hello! First time posting here :).

I agree with you, I don't mind either. 

I really don't understand why all this turmoil about age gap. First of all, this is a show, a fiction and in fiction I think we can assume that an author can use her/his freedom of creation to compose things that can be or have an appearance of unusual, to make us see things differently. So, if we have a prejudice against age gap, a beautifull lovestory about a couple in this kind of situation could help us to understand people who in real life would experience this and be more tolerant towards them, even if we wouldn't accept that situation for ourselves. I think in arts and fiction there are two kinds of freedom: freedom of creation and freedom of choice. An author can create what s/he wants, the public have the freedom (if there is the access to) to watch/read/listen it (and like or dislike it) and to not watch/read/listen it (whatever are the reasons). Any other attitude is censorship, imo. 

Second, in real life, there are plenty of couples with great age gap (in both direction). Is this immoral? Is this ilegal when both are adults? Are those couples living in sin? 

So, if it makes sense, narratively wise, I see no problem in a lovestory with age gap. And, in my opinion, here is a case that it would make sense, more than only a friendship. In fact, it was the potential of the love store that brought me to watch this show. And I hope that the writer and producer don't give in to this kind of censorship and, if it was their original intent, dare to tell a lovestory, because it makes sense lol. 

So, the dynamic that I sense between the two leads is not platonic. First, because the kind of "attraction", curiosity that he has towards her isn't just friendly, it is more than that: she disturbes and confuses him; subjectively, I'm really feeling a subtle and latent sexual tension between them, in special during the last scene of ep. 2. Am I delusional? Maybe lol.  

Btw, I can really enjoy a drama without loveline :). But, when I think that romance makes sense, I don't see why we couldn't enjoy it, if it is the writer intention. :wink: 

• Like 13

11 hours ago, saya2 said:

How funny the fans when they said how can twenty year old girl fall in love with fourty five year old guy and don’t want romance between them but in goblin they don’t mind thousand year old guy to fall in love with high school girl just because he looks young  :lol::lol:

for me I really don’t mind if there is love story between the leads I think they will be beautiful couple

kekeke so we can call it "Handsome Ahjussi Who Buys Me Food"  :lol: 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

3 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

The subway train scene. I love this scene because it speaks a lot about the current relationship of Ji An and Dong Hoon. Two can see each other vaguely. The intentions are not clear in Dong Hoon eye's after the money incident. He is the one looking at her, while Ji An does not give any fuss about him standing beside her.

Also the realism of this show is constantly displayed, the scene has no BGMs, only the sound of subway 's tracks, the voice over from the system, the opening and closing of doors. It is real and I am glad that this was not interpreted by the PD in theatrical way. The absence of any music fading in or out only strengthens the scene as tensed as it was.

Second was the pub scene with Dong Hoon and Director Yoon. The nuisance of the sound effects are crisp with echoing Director Yoon thus adding more confused and disoriented Dong Hoon . I just appreciate how the sound director is dedicated on each of details. 

You named two of my favorite scenes, especially the last one, in the pub.  Not many words were said yet so much was told.  You said it well.

5 hours ago, ninaanin said:

So, the dynamic that I sense between the two leads is not platonic. First, because the kind of "attraction", curiosity that he has towards her isn't just friendly, it is more than that: she disturbes and confuses him; subjectively, I'm really feeling a subtle and latent sexual tension between them, in special during the last scene of ep. 2. Am I delusional? Maybe lol.  

Btw, I can really enjoy a drama without loveline :). But, when I think that romance makes sense, I don't see why we couldn't enjoy it, if it is the writer intention. :wink: 

Of course you're not the only one sensing something between them that is beyond casual curiosity.  I'll bet many are seeing something stronger.  But I am tamping down hard any desire to see them go the romantic route because the production team seems to have caved into viewers' demand to keep romance out of their dynamic.  Besides, our view is not the popular one. :-)

• Like 7

7 hours ago, ninaanin said:

Hello! First time posting here :).

I agree with you, I don't mind either. 

I really don't understand why all this turmoil about age gap. First of all, this is a show, a fiction and in fiction I think we can assume that an author can use her/his freedom of creation to compose things that can be or have an appearance of unusual, to make us see things differently. So, if we have a prejudice against age gap, a beautifull lovestory about a couple in this kind of situation could help us to understand people who in real life would experience this and be more tolerant towards them, even if we wouldn't accept that situation for ourselves. I think in arts and fiction there are two kinds of freedom: freedom of creation and freedom of choice. An author can create what s/he wants, the public have the freedom (if there is the access to) to watch/read/listen it (and like or dislike it) and to not watch/read/listen it (whatever are the reasons). Any other attitude is censorship, imo. 

Second, in real life, there are plenty of couples with great age gap (in both direction). Is this immoral? Is this ilegal when both are adults? Are those couples living in sin? 

So, if it makes sense, narratively wise, I see no problem in a lovestory with age gap. And, in my opinion, here is a case that it would make sense, more than only a friendship. In fact, it was the potential of the love store that brought me to watch this show. And I hope that the writer and producer don't give in to this kind of censorship and, if it was their original intent, dare to tell a lovestory, because it makes sense lol. 

I am watching the show and appreciating the slight Misaeng-esque vibe that the drama gives me from time to time, [the director is awesome here no doubt], since half of the show is like a mind-game, almost have no words, and we are only following the characters who are busy analyzing those around them, [like dong hoon after he realized the big mess he's in, or ji an when she discovers that dong hoon's being cheated on, moroever his partner is in a secret relationship with the guy who's throwing him under a bus], also a round of applause goes to director Park who figures out quickly, the secret agenda. But anyway coming back to your post, this was exactly my point also. A writer shouldn't in any circumstances give in to audience's desire. Censorship shouldn't happen just cause some of the viewers aren't open to it. Also, just because the majority or a certain percentage of people think this way doesn't make their pov right. But there shouldn't be any right or wrong here either, since it's the writer's story we're listening to, so why tailor make the script as per audience demand? This is rather sad indeed since we won't get to know what the original storyline could have been like. 

Also like you said, there's nothing wrong with two individuals, grown-ups with sane mindset agreeing to have a relationship, lol, I know this isn't happening as tvn or so many people try to confirm again and again, but since the topic is on the surface, I thought about raising the question. I also loved what you said about freedom of creation and freedom of choice. Exactly, we always have the choice to read something and enjoy it or if the content disturbs us, then to keep it aside. This always happens with books, so why not with tv media too? There's also this growing practice of considering the opposite type of age-gap relationships like noona romances to see in a positive light, but this doesn't happen when the guy is older lol. Not that I have any problem with any of the romances lol, but I am seeing this pattern so that's why I wonder.  Like a poster above jokingly said, we could call it pretty ahjussi who buys me food, haha I mean why not? We didn't have issues with 'Secret love affair', so what's soo jarring about two people liking each other who are going through same phases in life?

I haven't noticed any so called latent attraction that you feel towards an opposite, but I can sense what you are talking about. Do Hoon did look at Ji An many times in both the episodes, and this even started before the accusation occured. Anyway I will be too sad, if nothing happens between them lol, haha I don't believe that a guy and a girl can be friends, especially here, where there are so many possibilities of them coming to like each other. Of course, some become friends, but only after they didn't click or something else came in between, 'or' when there isn't any slightest attraction between them. But I bet we wouldn't have any problem, if Ji An was a bit older like 27-30? Except for this self imposed taboo, I don't see any issue here but that should be the topic for another debate lol. Sorry for the long post, but your pov was refreshing and I couldn't stop myself from writing what I felt. Thank you!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2018 at 1:40 AM, jongski said:

It's more pity when she looked in to his eyes. She knows the wife and DJY having relations but he doesn't have any clue at all hence that look to him. I also doubt she'll destroy him.  She's ruthless but inside she's got a heart.

At this point. she needs money. That's priority. The opportunity to blackmail DJY is there so.. why not.  being  cunning , quick witted that she's  even the one who told him what she'll do..

I also do not think that she will destroy PDH.

DJY is another story, a dangerous, hungry, ambitious who wants that Chairman job. He is also as smart as JA, so I am looking forward to the strategic contest between them

• Like 6

One of my favorite scenes. These kinds of scene make the drama so different..:)

Spoiler

YGcE6ba.gif

whAZt4Q.gif

6mCtQ9p.gif

9QpzBPR.gif

In the beginning scenes... Before JiAn took the coffee, she took a handful of barley tea..

EdQrOY5.gif

t9lNgmS.jpg

She has only drunk coffee........ Did she take the tea for someone or she likes to drink it too? I hope, someday, this girl will find some peaceful time to drink her barley tea -_-

Gifs/pics credit: My Mister DCgall

• Like 11