[Drama 2017-2018] Money Flower 돈 꽃

Go Seung Ji

‘Money Flower’ – To Jang Hyuk, For Jang Hyuk, By Jang Huk

[OSEN News] MBC weekend drama 'Money Flower' is literally one that was made for Jang Hyuk and completed through Jang Hyuk. If it was not for Jang Hyuk, I would think that such a success could not be possible. I cannot even imagine a Kang Pil-joo that is not acted by Jang Hyuk. 

The drama is a story about those who live with the illusion that they dominate money, but in actual fact they are the ones being consumed by money. It is a drama about the lifetime of a man, Kang Pil-joo (Jang Hyuk) who seeks revenge against large conglomerate Cheong-A group.

This being Jang Hyuk's return to a weekend drama after 15 years, 'Money Flower' was not met with high expectations initially. As described in the synopsis, the nature of a story surrounding chaebols, and being a weekend drama, it was anticipated that this will be another typical ‘makjang’ drama. In fact, 'Money Flower' does consist of elements commonly found in a such dramas, such as birth secrets, fight between chaebols, extra-marital affair, and revenge etc.

However, 'Money Flower' earned itself the reputation of being a ‘masterpiece’ and 'high class drama' due to the reversals that happen at the end of each episode, the tension-filled directing, as well as the cast’s stellar performances. Among them, Jang Hyuk's acting ability and his overwhelming presence are considered to be the top reasons for the success of this drama.

The character played by Jang Hyuk, Kang Pil-joo, is a hidden descendant of the Cheong-A group. For the sake of revenge against Jung Mal-ran (Lee Mi-Sook) who killed his mother and his younger brother, he gave up his real name Jang Eun-cheon, and lived his life as “the dog of Cheong-A”. It was Kang Pil-joo's plan to take over Cheong-A after putting Jung Mal-ran’s son Jang Boo-cheon (Jang Seung-jo) into the seat of the chairman.

For 20 years, Kang Pil-joo meticulously collected evidence that would allow him to gain control of Cheong-A. When Jang Kook-hwan (Lee Soon-jae) knew that Jang Boo-cheon was not his biological grandson, he tried to stop Kang Pil-joo using his own method. However, it was a landslide victory for Kang PIl-joo who managed to see through his plan.

In the drama, Kang Pil-joo does not have many lines, and is a difficult character to portray. Not only does he need to express many things through his eyes and facial expression, he also need to hide his real feelings. On top of that, he is also responsible for maintaining the weight of the drama at its centre. With this, Jang Hyuk completely digested this Kang Pil-joo character and once again proved his worth as a top-notch actor.

As a person who gave up his life for revenge, filled with longing for his late family members as well as the regret towards Na Mo-hyun (Park Se-young), Jang Hyuk portrayed these inner feelings sensitively. Using his deep eyes, delicate facial expression, and a low-pitched voice, he became Kang Pil-joo himself and played a pivotal role in helping viewers immerse themselves in ‘Money Flower’.

This can be considered as Jang Hyuk’s new life character after the immensely popular Daegil in KBS drama ‘Chuno’.  Once again gaining widespread recognition from viewers in ‘Money Flower’, Kang Pil-joo will undoubtedly be another character that viewers will remember for a long time. 

0003710206_001_20180203075539729.jpg?typ

0003710206_002_20180203075539746.jpg?typ

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003710206

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, cswcraze said:

I find this line rather disturbing and I feel that it needs to be addressed.  Until now, I believe there was no intimacy relationship between the two.  JMR needs and wants him as a soulmate and see him as a man. It is one sided and KPJ did not sell his body in the course of his revenge.  I just need someone to reassure me of this.

It is disturbing. I think the writer means it to be disturbing and will never give us an answer.  The suggestion of intimacy has been there all along.  It's purposeful.  To keep us wondering about KPJ.  I just think we will never know for sure.   KPJ has dedicated his life to revenge.  Would he hesitate to sleep with her if it advanced his purpose?   I think there are viewers who will believe one thing or the other. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I am slowly counting down the minutes till these episodes airs, i try to switch off and pretend i am not really paying that much attention and whatever happens, happens.  But reality is I am clock watching slowly.  This is why i prefer finished drama's..........LOL

But actually I do have one confession thou, the actor that played KPJ, i didnt really like him that much due to his stern serious face.  But it suited this role and then i accidentally saw some of the making clips and realised he is very cute and sweet when he smiles actually.

• Like 12

Jang Hyuk.. if there's one thing he deserves it's a best actor award. Period!   And this  brilliant well made drama deserves all awards that can be given.

Thanks in advance  to chingus @triplem  and others going to do the recap. I'll be watching it with you all. I'm excited. From beginning till the end of the drama later tonight this has been very very good one.  All the cast deserves an applause for wonderful terrific acting. Plus the production  and the writer and director.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, fragglerock said:

I am slowly counting down the minutes till these episodes airs, i try to switch off and pretend i am not really paying that much attention and whatever happens, happens.  But reality is I am clock watching slowly.  This is why i prefer finished drama's..........LOL

But actually I do have one confession thou, the actor that played KPJ, i didnt really like him that much due to his stern serious face.  But it suited this role and then i accidentally saw some of the making clips and realised he is very cute and sweet when he smiles actually.

Oh then u don’t know him enough. He laughs all the time. He is most dorky person u can ever find. And if u are convinced that u like his smiling face, watch Fated to Love you Korean version.  Hahaha! And that’s why people always see him as stern in his dramas becos he always take on those roles. But in reality he is clumsy, dorky and I would say funny without himself knowing it. 

@triplem it has to be KPJ. Unless he is shooting his own Mum? And u can see that he looks desperate.

• Like 14

@triplem i do not think it will be KPJ, even if he tries he will not be able to shoot him even though how badly he wants to or anyone for that matter. JBC is not as evil as his Mom after all.  And i also agree with you about Lee Mi Sook and her role as JMR. The casting of this drama is so perfect.

@annisyadwir I was thinking the same, if it was the last scene probably a happy ending for the two of them. After all they deserve it.

• Like 15

I think most of the credit for the success of the drama goes to Jang Hyuk, but I also liked the other cast members, because I knew what to expect from him since I've been a fan for years and always loved what he did and how he did it. (I tell myself, a drama with JH in it is always a guarantee). I liked Park Se Young, because she made her character who seemed naive at the beginning, gain a lot of depth. She's much younger than JH but she was able to act as his equal, you couldn't feel the age gap. Lee Mi Sook as well, was the best choice for Mal Ran. Besides for keeping herself so well despite her age, she is really great at playing evil ajhummas. She can go from angry to happy in the span of a second, and deliver deep characters. Even between her and JH you couldn't feel their age gap, that's why it was possible for them to give the audience that subtle sexual attraction she has towards him and the way he plays with that (still convinced that it was purely platonic). They were the ones who struck me the most on the drama but everyone was exceptional. It was nice that they could find such a tight cast who also had chemistry with each other.

About JBC and the gun: what if he's going to kill his non-grandfather? After all, he was the one who wanted to kill him, while despite everything Pil Joo saved him anyway. It would make sense that it happens while Mal Ran is with Pil Joo: BC takes care of the grandpa while MR of PJ. By eliminating them, they could still believe they can get Cheong A by that verbal agreement with Seong Man (although he wouldn't let them take what's not rightfully theirs as BC is not a legit heir).

I also hope we will see how Soo Man died. I'm dying (LOL) to see how that happen because they've showed us only Pil Joo and Mal Ran's bits of the story where he was present, but never how he ceased to exist in this world. We miss the parts in between his happiness with his sons and his funeral. I also agree that MR, grandpa Jang and SM had something to do with his death, since they all had reasons. MR wanted to stay in Cheong A with her non-heir, grandpa Jang either didn't want his son to become chairman yet or he didn't approve of his extra-marital affair that could worsen the image of the company and SM probably just got the chance he needed to get rid of competition to get the chairmanship for himself.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kohnlee said:

Oh then u don’t know him enough. He laughs all the time. He is most dorky person u can ever find. And if u are convinced that u like his smiling face, watch Fated to Love you Korean version.  Hahaha! And that’s why people always see him as stern in his dramas becos he always take on those roles. But in reality he is clumsy, dorky and I would say funny without himself knowing it. 

@triplem it has to be KPJ. Unless he is shooting his own Mum? And u can see that he looks desperate.

I agree with you...Haha..  

still cannot forget how he memorised his lines on the Money flower script with his eyes closed and got teased by Cha Taeyong and Kim  Jong kook..lol.

• Like 6
  • LOL 7

Hello Ladies And Gents, As we go into the final episode of this wonderful drama I like to thank the writer actors and production team for a job well done.  I like to thank JH for stellar performance as KPJ/JEC.. But most of all I like to thank all of you commentators for keeping me company with all the great comments insights gifts and videos.. @purplebass Thank you for giving us the play by play each week until the episodes had been released on websites..  So everyone it's going to be a sad ending to this masterpiece I'm just happy I got to watch a awesome drama with all of you.. 

• Like 16

4 hours ago, fragglerock said:

then i accidentally saw some of the making clips and realised he is very cute and sweet when he smiles actually.

He is actually a bit of crazy too. :lol:

This year's bts are quiet plain. Last year's bts was epic and he posted this on his ig himself. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
  • Thanks 1