[Drama 2017-2018] Money Flower 돈 꽃

Go Seung Ji

Just a quick comment on thoughts regarding NMH having her father appear on TV.  I think that it was actually KPJ that moved father before Grandpa's goons showed up and it was KPJ that had him appear on TV.  I haven't gone back to watch the episode but it looked like NMH arrived to find the door to her parents home open and the house dark implying that goons had been there and gone finding no - one and nothing.

It would be a classic KPJ move to be ahead of the Jangs with a preemptive strike using the resurrected Assemblyman by putting him on TV.   He needs to keep Grandpa, JMR and the rest of the Jangs on their heels.  After all, Assemblyman's testimony will fatally injure Grandpa and JYC (the only legitimate heir left in Grandpa's deck).

• Like 10

4 hours ago, philosophie said:

Also preview description/summary which was even usually released earlier than video so by now should be out. Wonder why they’re teasing us so much :tongue:

Haha these are pros & cons of watching such a masterpiece! Cliffhangers/Confusing Previews/ Late Priviews etc.etc. ... :D

By the way where do they upload the written preview? The video preview will be released only in the evening anyway.

The preview is out! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

What makes 'Money Flower' a heroic epic?

The beauty of Money Flower that many other dramas should learn from.

[EnterMedia = Jung Deok-hyeon] Where does the beauty that reminds us of a Greek tragedy come from? Now, when we look back on MBC's weekend drama ‘Money Flower’ which has only two episodes left, we will see that it possesses a unique aura among the reality of dramas today. Most other dramas either just follow a genre that plays with grammar, or they make use of provocative factors, which are unfortunately filling up the world of dramas today. In this case, when masterpieces appear occasionally, they become even more valuable.

‘Money Flower’ is a classic tragedy that we have not seen for a long time. The epic structure of this drama is almost like that of a Greek tragedy. It is a tragic re-creation of those who have left their roots out in the world. And since the revenge is carried against relatives, it becomes more fundamental and original.

What reveals these points directly is the relationship between Kang Pil-joo (Jang Hyuk), Jung Mal-ran (Lee Mi-sook), and Jang Kook-hwan (Lee Soon-jae). Kang Pil-joo had spent many years getting back at Jung Mal-ran, and in the process he caused a tragedy to fall upon his whole family. The relationship between Kang Pil-joo and Jung Mal-ran is not only similar to that between a parent and a child, but also one between lovers. Eventually after Kang Pil-joo reveals his true identity, he destroys this whole relationship. Although this is revenge against Jung Mal-ran, but Kang Pil-joo, who was deeply involved, is also significantly hurt in the process.

The relationship between Kang Pil-joo and Jang Boo-cheon (Jang Seung-jo), the son of Jung Mal-ran, is the same. The two grew up together as children and formed a brotherly friendship. Although Kang Pil-joo has apparently lived his life calling himself ‘Jang Boo-cheon's dog’, there is something akin to brotherly love between them. When Jang Boo-cheon is in danger, Kang Pil-joo saves him. However, they are destined to fight each other to the death over the power of  Cheong-A group.

The relationship between Kang Pil-joo and Na Mo-hyun (Park Se-young) is even more pathetic. Although the two of them are determined to love each other, it is inevitable that they will face a catastrophic defeat. Na Mo-hyun discovered that her involvement with the Cheong-A group and her marriage to Jang Boo-cheon was all a fake situation created by Kang Pil-joo. When she got to  know that it was Cheong-A’s honorary chairman Jang Kook-hwan who forced her father to commit suicide, the blame landed upon Kang Pil-joo.

Eventually Kang Pil-joo will reach the top of the Cheong-A Group, but it is not a symbol of his success but rather, it is necessary for the completion of his revenge plan. And that revenge is only made possible by breaking the relationships that he has created for a lifetime, thus destroying himself at the same time. The process of Kang Pil-joo's ascend to the top and the completion of his revenge plan is driving himself towards the path of destruction. It is this tragic structure of ‘Money Flower’ that it becomes more vulnerable than any other drama.

So why is this drama telling us that the process of revenge and the success of reaching the top is a catastrophe at the same time? The answer lies in the title of this drama. ‘Money Flower’ is telling us that the desires that look pretty like a flower which everyone dreams of, are actually illusions and lies made out of money. Therefore, what makes this drama of such a special value, is that it captures the criticism of the material world of capital.

The character of honorary chairman Jang Kook-hwan, who kills his descendants for money, is a manifestation of the ugly and ruthless nature of this world. He acknowledges only pure blood, and considered a mixed blood as a target to be removed from the group. A man who makes others marry at will when necessary, who forces one to commit suicide when it is needed. He has the power to eat all kinds of good food and obtain everything with his words, but he is a monster created by the world of money.

From this point of view, this drama seems to be the epic of a destined hero named Kang Pil-joo, who faces a giant monster and beholds a trust that will eventually bring him disappointment. Indeed, it is a tragic experience that I have not seen for a long time in Korean drama. Above all, the beauty of the drama created by a combination of intelligent production and well-controlled performances is something that other dramas can learn from.

1517105540_1.jpg

http://m.entermedia.co.kr/news_view.html?idx=7597#cb

• Like 11
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I hope, he is faking his death and had planned this in advance!! He needed a real proof that JMR is a killer!

Same. He is too smart and cautious to let something like that happen. He knew Mr. Oh being poison before. Just hoping he being a bait to caught a bigger fish.

• Like 13

25 minutes ago, yoeda said:

Same. He is too smart and cautious to let something like that happen. He knew Mr. Oh being poison before. Just hoping he being a bait to caught a bigger fish.

I have been thinking that KPJ could have asked for the name of the poison that JMR used, when she killed secretary Oh so that he can prepare an antidote. He is the one who took care of Oh's body after his death hence he could have ordered an autopsy or he could have the drink analysed. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

From the preview I can gather Mal Ran mentioning the word "anymore", maybe she's saying that she's done with people messing with her. lol. Grandpa Jang seems to tell his son that he knows about something he did to Soo Man, then Seong Man mentions something about a CCTV evidence, it seems. Mal Ran seems to put the blame on KPJ in front of the photographers. Then she says that she won't let PJ be the chairman. (I could be wrong).

Well, considering what the showed us, I agree that Pil Joo might have had an antidote for the poison Mal Ran wants to give him. I think that he needs back up, though, because perhaps he needs a person to inject it in his veins. Maybe that's what Mo Hyun/Pil Joo scene about we see in the preview, maybe he's telling her what he wants to do and MH has to uncover what Mal Ran tried to do to him to corner her, at the risk of him dying because of the poison. The fact that they showed this to us means is not that important in the plot, otherwise they would have kept it hidden and we would have seen it during the episode! So I'm thinking they want us to think that Pil Joo is going down and not succeeding in his revenge, because they also showed us him alone in his office. I really want to know what Na Gi Chul will say that will make Mal Ran so angry (besides getting back from the dead).

Sort of written preview from an article:

MBC weekend drama 'money flower' last trailer was released.

In the 22th broadcast of 'Money Flower', Jang Kook-hwan (Lee Soon-jae) came to know that Kang Pil-ju (Jang Hyuk) was his own friend. After that, Jang Kook - hwan tried to get rid of Zhang Bucheon (Jang Seung - jo) by using Kangpil.

On the 31st of last month's "Money Flower" trailer, Youngran (Lee Mi-sook) told me that he should not let him leave the house anymore. He then heard that Nirchal (Park Ji-il) was arrested. Soo Young - ran said in front of the reporters, "The person who led all this work is Kang - pil." Golpyeong gave his acquaintance to prepare to expose the real evil of Really, saying, "Get ready to use the card for Ogi (Park Jung Hak) at any time."

The same visual Janggangbang said, "(chief) Sung is only responsible for getting in." Jang Sung-man (Sunwoo Jae-deok) instructed that "You should find out even if you turn around CCTV in Seoul."

Namo Hyun (Park Seo Young) was worried that he was handed over to the Blue Book Foundation's double account book and said, "If this is revealed, the writer will not be safe."

At the end of the trailer, Reoran urged Kang Pil - ju to drink the medicine and said, "Let 's have a drink." Kang - pil has fallen in pain and suffered from drinking alcohol.

On the other hand, the last event of 'money flower' will be broadcasted at MBC at 8:50 pm on the 3rd.

http://enter.etoday.co.kr/view/news_view.php?varAtcId=134746

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

@purplebass I have a similar thought... they wouldn't show us such an event if this is the real cliffhanger. To me, they are misleading us. I hope, the circumstances of JSM's death will be finally revealed. This would be great if JSM, JKH and JMR got sent to jail for murder! 

J Seon M --> KPJ's car accident

JMR --> Oh and now KPJ

JKH --> NGC 

• Like 12

Lets calm down Chingus! :grin:

Firstly as always they try to mislead us with a confusing preview and at all times it is something totally opposite that actually happens in the episodes. Money Flower Preview game is on another level! :glasses:

If KPJ was to die, they would not have surely showed us in the preview. (No preview will show an ending of a drama) and if KPJ dies there is no story. i think the poisoning thing will probably happen in 23 and he will come back in 24 with NMH's help. I agree with the antidote thing. It is a high possibility. After all JMR is dealing with KPJ who knows her top to bottom very well and definitely 100 steps ahead than all of them.

As for Grandpa and JSM i think they will be jailed at the end. I read some comments on Naver and there were some comments regarding an appearance of a Judge (someone had posted a picture with a judge's coat quoting that it was filming for MF).

I wonder what will happen with JBC, he was not there in the preview. I think he will reunite with his son but not sure about the mistress.

For our OTP, KPJ/JEC & NMH they will end it well the revenge the both wanted and finally they end up together. Even though it is not evident the writer has already showed us that their hearts belong to each other, so open ending is a possibility. ( i do not think there will be any kiss scene between the two though :(

Money Flower will have a nice / happy ending, a satisfying one and of course a surprising ending in a good way where nothing could have been predicted or thought of! Fingers Crossed :)

I hope @triplem @purplebass will do the live recapping tomorrow as well. Sorry if i didn't mention others who have done live recapping before! You guys are just awesome and we are so thankful for what you do. :) 

• Like 16

I was about to die seeing the whole post @Prettysup linked. Why are Jang Hyuk's forearms so sexy?! Even when he's fully clothed you can see his toned body under that burgundy turtleneck... I'm sorry, I've lost my mind. :D

@mimisl123 I don't know if I'll do the live recap because I'd like to watch the episodes with subs when they come out... Somehow I don't want to spoil myself the ending. lol.

These are the last shots for everyone. I can't see Mal Ran and Seong Man be out of the game until they tried it all. To me, an ending that makes sense would be one where they are sent to jail because they sent Pil Joo and Na Gi Chul in their place. PJ has always been to prison to save MR and her son, while Na went to prison to save grandpa Jang's son. A part of them was culpable because PJ had done illegal things for the Jangs and Na accepted the illicit funds for his campaign, but what they did isn't reason enough to lock them in. The other people did way worse (like murder). Since Pil Joo is a mastermind, he could turn things around so that now the blame is given to the real perperators... Basically, he'd use the same card to pay them back because he and Na are part of the "good" guys (even if I think PJ sees himself as corrupted as well). In Pil Joo's story, everything seems dark besides for Mo Hyun's presence. I don't know if I remember correctly, but he once said something about Mo Hyun bringing him closer to his brother. Methaphorically, she saved him from ending his life and made him think about revenge... so Mo Hyun is sort of a connection between it all:

1. his brother underwater = because she went underwater to save him and she also loves swimming and was a champion when she was young and Eun Cheon and Kyung Cheon watch the swimming Olympics when they are little, so I guess they both liked swimming (MH may make PJ remember his bro)
  2. the start of his new life of revenge = because eventually she was involved and mixed up in it
  3. his salvation = because she didn't let him die and gave him a reason to hold on after he'll get revenge

All of this to say that PIL JOO (or Mo Hyun for that matter) CAN'T DIE. Death would mean a meaningless journey. Yes, he may die satisfied he could get revenge, but what for? He needs to live in order for his story not to end on a blah note. In the end the circle would only be closed with logic if he ends up with Mo Hyun. Because she's the connection between the past (his family), the present (his revenge), and the future (his new life after revenge, perhaps by reprising his real name Eun Cheon).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@purplebass I have a similar thought... they wouldn't show us such an event if this is the real cliffhanger. To me, they are misleading us. I hope, the circumstances of JSM's death will be finally revealed. This would be great if JSM, JKH and JMR got sent to jail for murder! 

J Seon M --> KPJ's car accident

JMR --> Oh and now KPJ

JKH --> NGC 

Agreed with comments just a quick thought...

1)  I think that the antidote will be administered by YG his friend and not NMH

2) The NGC attempted murder is a stronger case on JYC - remember that KPJ still has that recording and he is less subtle than Grandpa.  KPJ still needs to get him neutralized because in Grandpa's mind, he is still the last legitimate heir standing.

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, kismet22 said:

Agreed with comments just a quick thought...

1)  I think that the antidote will be administered by YG his friend and not NMH

2) The NGC attempted murder is a stronger case on JYC - remember that KPJ still has that recording and he is less subtle than Grandpa.  KPJ still needs to get him neutralized because in Grandpa's mind, he is still the last legitimate heir standing.

Yes, you are right. Actually, JYC could be sent to jail because of his conversation with NGC but also because of KPJ's car accident. He knew what would happen. In other words, JYC could be seen as an accomplice of his father and grandfather.

• Like 10