[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

@bedifferent

Yeah I don’t know guys.  Is this each man with his own imagined future with Ae Shin?  Hee Sung in the garden among flowers.  Eugene with the valuable porcelain plates and Dong Mae forever her bodyguard.  I can only make out Ae Shin paying him in coins.

@ari_bian

I don’t think that was a flashforward that happened with the three of them with Ae shin. I think that was what they wished had happened with Ae Shin. Like Eugene must have wished he met Ae Shin in America, Dong Mae wished he met Ae Shin when he was already a powerful leader and Hui Seong wished he had come back earlier and already was married to Ae Shin.

I interpreted these visions differently because of the order of the sequence. First, we are shown HS's face Then we see these scenes:

Spoiler

AS is wearing Western clothes. So this scene represents HS's mind. HS is jealous of EC as he knows that AS has visited a lot the American legation. Moreover, AS left HS behind using EC as an excuse. So he imagines AS's future. She is married to EC and lives in USA.

Secondly, we can see EC's face which is followed by this scene:

Spoiler

So now, we are about to see what EC is thinking. EC is jealous of DM. It was clearly revealed, when he realized that DM could read Korean, whereas he couldn't. He felt inferior to DM. EC even mentioned to AS that he was jealous. For him, HS didn't trigger his jealousy because AS had clearly told him that HS was just a friend. He knew that AS wanted to keep her distance from HS as she used him as an excuse in order to leave her fiance. Besides, both are very traditional. DM might wear a Japanese kimono but both are wearing traditional clothes. Even HS is different, although he comes from an old and noble family. 

Finally, we are shown DM's face. And after this image, we are a vision of HS with AS.

Spoiler

. DM is jealous of HS as he has been AS's fiance for a long time. We shouldn't forget that DM returned to Joseon before EC. Then since AS comes from a noble family, DM is sure that AS will marry her fiance. He sees her as a traditional lady who sticks by the rules. For him, AS will never dare to annul her engagement and marriage.  

But it is clear to us that AS has already fallen in love with EC, although she has not really realized it yet. Even before she knew the real meaning of love, she was definitely thinking and acting like one. She wants to learn English and is happy thinking about him. However, she thought that they were kindred spirits... they wanted to protect something precious, Joseon. Since he has been protecting her, it meant that he protected Joseon. But she realized that she had misunderstood him. Later, she imagined that EC wanted to use love in order to destroy her and Joseon. However, AS knows that EC loved her as she said that she had counted his confessions. To me, on the surface it looks as if AS had been using him. Besides, AS is actually oblivious to her own feelings. Her love for Joseon's people is bigger than anything, yet she knew that EC loved her. She never thought that EC would use his position in order to protect her once again.  

• Like 12

4 hours ago, ari_bian said:

My favorite characters in this drama so far are Ae Shin and Seung Gu and their wonderful Master/Student and Allies relationship.

Enter Seung Gu, the gunner who became her master/teacher in how to defend herself. Seung Gu is a man who has been betrayed by his country, an orphan, a gunner who also is forced to live by the station of his birth. Seung Gu is someone who grew up in the old Joseon with all the hierarchies but after the Battle at Gang Hwa Island and the betrayal of his nation he has seen that he doesn't need to just accept and live as what he was told was the station of his birth. He decided to become a rebel, one who believes Joseon should be free but a Joseon without any of the political richard simmons currently going on in the royal court and with the ministers... He wants to see a Joseon that is free and one who protects and defends its own people and that is what he is really fighting for.

Same as you regarding Seung Gu and Ae Shin's relationship. :) His measured and calm demeanor make him a good fit to mentor a passionate Ae Shin. There's a weariness about him as well, all the years in the shadow, witnessing deaths and sacrifices by his colleagues seasoned him.  He's much different than the teenager in the beginning with fiery determination to be a rebel.  He has learn to not only put up the good fight but fight to outlast his opponents.  Seung Gu has been following Eun San's way of life and battle strategy.  Eventually, the baton will pass from this older group to a new generation the Righteous Army.  People like Seung Gu who have been doing this for 30+ years have already feel the urgency of the moment with the Japanese's power shift.  Things have been simmering and are going to boil over soon, the resistance realizes it.  They would welcome someone like Ae Shin, those who are not distracted by the new things coming through Joseon's open door and understood the gravity of the situation.  Seung Gu has kept his promise to Ae Shin's grandfather to keep her from danger by controlling her involvement and how much she knows.  She's the future that he needs to protect but she is in every way, the new blood and energy that the resistance needs.  

One thing that bothers me.  The deposit note can only prove that the slush fund has a bank note of 100,000 yen.  The bank note has already been deposited and the receipt indicated that the money can only be withdrawn by the Emperor of Korea.  Why did LWI claim that whoever find the deposit note will be able to get to the 100,000 yen? Am I missing something?

Secondly, Eugene kept the pawn shop receipt in his bible (?) Why does he think that it's the safest place for hiding?  I am assuming it will be of no interest to anyone who searched his room since Korea was favoring Neo-Confucianism and Japan was more a warrior state.  Other than maybe hoping for a divine God to protect Joseon's secret?

@blademan skinship..... EC is a dead man! figuratively and literally. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@bedifferent

@ari_bian

I interpreted these visions differently because of the order of the sequence. First, we are shown HS's face Then we see these scenes:

Hide contents

AS is wearing Western clothes. So this scene represents HS's mind. HS is jealous of EC as he knows that AS has visited a lot the American legation. Moreover, AS left HS behind using EC as an excuse. So he imagines AS's future. She is married to EC and lives in USA.

Secondly, we can see EC's face which is followed by this scene:

Hide contents

So now, we are about to see what EC is thinking. EC is jealous of DM. It was clearly revealed, when he realized that DM could read Korean, whereas he couldn't. He felt inferior to DM. EC even mentioned to AS that he was jealous. For him, HS didn't trigger his jealousy because AS had clearly told him that HS was just a friend. He knew that AS wanted to keep her distance from HS as she used him as an excuse in order to leave her fiance. Besides, both are very traditional. DM might wear a Japanese kimono but both are wearing traditional clothes. Even HS is different, although he comes from an old and noble family. 

Finally, we are shown DM's face. And after this image, we are a vision of HS with AS.

Hide contents

. DM is jealous of HS as he has been AS's fiance for a long time. We shouldn't forget that DM returned to Joseon before EC. Then since AS comes from a noble family, DM is sure that AS will marry her fiance. He sees her as a traditional lady who sticks by the rules. For him, AS will never dare to annul her engagement and marriage.  

But it is clear to us that AS has already fallen in love with EC, although she has not really realized it yet. Even before she knew the real meaning of love, she was definitely thinking and acting like one. She wants to learn English and is happy thinking about him. However, she thought that they were kindred spirits... they wanted to protect something precious, Joseon. Since he has been protecting her, it meant that he protected Joseon. But she realized that she had misunderstood him. Later, she imagined that EC wanted to use love in order to destroy her and Joseon. However, AS knows that EC loved her as she said that she had counted his confessions. To me, on the surface it looks as if AS had been using him. Besides, AS is actually oblivious to her own feelings. Her love for Joseon's people is bigger than anything, yet she knew that EC loved her. She never thought that EC would use his position in order to protect her once again. 

Hmmm... the director has not done his job so clearly then because the audience did not get the same meaning for the last scene... as for me I went and watched the scene again and I still stand by what I think which is that we are shown what each one is hoping for with Ae Shin... Seeing as the show has kind of got me used to thinking that Eugene is the main lead then it goes to show that the drama is showing us Eugene's hope first.... This is how I looked at the last scene... The scene of Eugene in America glimpsing Ae Shin, then he smiled and followed her then cut to Eugene's face which tells me that was Eugene's hope.... then Dong Mae and Ae Shin with Ae Shin giving Dong Mae a token then cut to Dong Mae's face, then Ae Shin holding Hui Seong's head on her lap then cut to Hui Seong's face then the last shot was the three of them in like a mexican stand-off lol... if the last flash of Ae Shin holding Hui Seong's head on her lap was Dong Mae's thoughts then the shot did not have to show Hui Seong's face with the ill-intentions determined face, the shot would have gone immediately to the three in a mexican stand off... that is just my humble opinion and my understanding even after your take and my rewatch  :)... oh and thanks @Jillia for editing out the pics... im still new at responding like this... i did wonder how to respond or quote though... so thanks

16 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Same as you regarding Seung Gu and Ae Shin's relationship. :) His measured and calm demeanor make him a good fit to mentor a passionate Ae Shin. There's a weariness about him as well, all the years in the shadow, witnessing deaths and sacrifices by his colleagues seasoned him.  He's much different than the teenager in the beginning with fiery determination to be a rebel.  He has learn to not only put up the good fight but fight to outlast his opponents.  Seung Gu has been following Eun San's way of life and battle strategy.  Eventually, the baton will pass from this older group to a new generation the Righteous Army.  People like Seung Gu who have been doing this for 30+ years have already feel the urgency of the moment with the Japanese's power shift.  Things have been simmering and are going to boil over soon, the resistance realizes it.  They would welcome someone like Ae Shin, those who are not distracted by the new things coming through Joseon's open door and understood the gravity of the situation.  Seung Gu has kept his promise to Ae Shin's grandfather to keep her from danger by controlling her involvement and how much she knows.  She's the future that he needs to protect but she is in every way, the new blood and energy that the resistance needs.  

One thing that bothers me.  The deposit note can only prove that the slush fund has a bank note of 100,000 yen.  The bank note has already been deposited and the receipt indicated that the money can only be withdrawn by the Emperor of Korea.  Why did LWI claim that whoever find the deposit note will be able to get to the 100,000 yen? Am I missing something?

Secondly, Eugene kept the pawn shop receipt in his bible (?) Why does he think that it's the safest place for hiding?  I am assuming it will be of no interest to anyone who searched his room since Korea was favoring Neo-Confucianism and Japan was more a warrior state.  Other than maybe hoping for a divine God to protect Joseon's secret?

@blademan skinship..... EC is a dead man! figuratively and literally. :lol:

about the 100,000 yen, my understanding was since the deposit is a secret slush fund then the one who deposits needs to be anonymous and that only the holder of the certificate can withdraw the money... i could be wrong hehehe

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 4

@ari_bian Logan Taylor has the note initially, no one would give him access to the money tho I agree that slush fund is intended to shield the owner’s identification.  Here is the note.  We don’t know why Logan Taylor has the note to begin with.

Screenshot 2018-07-23 18.27.36

I guess whoever has the note can go to the bank and say they are withdrawing for the Emperor of Korea.  He must have some sort of proof then tho.  I don’t see how the money can be taken out of the bank that easily.

• Like 6

@bedifferent

You are right that the note/certificate has the Emperor of Korea's name and seal in it which means

anyone who has the note can sell the information to the right person which is what Logan Taylor plan to do with the certificate by selling the information to Japan before he was killed...that could be what Lee Wan Ik means that anyone who has possession of the certificate can have monetary gain if they sell them to Japan or Russia or U.S.

But for the Righteous Army, how can they encash it??? I mean they wouldn't want to sell that information to Japan so maybe there is a way to encash it by maybe pretending to be a representative of Korea seeing as the Emperor could not in any way say it was stolen since the slush fund was supposed to be a secret...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ari_bian said:

Hmmm... the director has not done his job so clearly then because the audience did not get the same meaning for the last scene... as for me I went and watched the scene again and I still stand by what I think which is that we are shown what each one is hoping for with Ae Shin... Seeing as the show has kind of got me used to thinking that Eugene is the main lead then it goes to show that the drama is showing us Eugene's hope first.... This is how I looked at the last scene... The scene of Eugene in America glimpsing Ae Shin, then he smiled and followed her then cut to Eugene's face which tells me that was Eugene's hope.... then Dong Mae and Ae Shin with Ae Shin giving Dong Mae a token then cut to Dong Mae's face, then Ae Shin holding Hui Seong's head on her lap then cut to Hui Seong's face then the last shot was the three of them in like a mexican stand-off lol... if the last flash of Ae Shin holding Hui Seong's head on her lap was Dong Mae's thoughts then the shot did not have to show Hui Seong's face with the ill-intentions determined face, the shot would have gone immediately to the three in a mexican stand off... that is just my humble opinion and my understanding even after your take and my rewatch  :)... oh and thanks @Jillia for editing out the pics... im still new at responding like this... i did wonder how to respond or quote though... so thanks

about the 100,000 yen, my understanding was since the deposit is a secret slush fund then the one who deposits needs to be anonymous and that only the holder of the certificate can withdraw the money... i could be wrong hehehe

But the declaration of his ill-intentions is shown before the scene of EC being with AS. And to me, it makes sense as HS realizes that he might lose AS to another man. Notice that AS in this sequence is wearing a Western dress indicating that she is married to EC. So far, HS was more focused on winning her heart and making her like him, until he realized that AS has two men who already loves her. And AS seems to prefer EC over him. He felt it and even witnessed it. He will do bad things if he loses AS. So far, AS is engaged to him. He didn't understand HN's warning. He should just marry AS because he is already engaged to her. However, HS is a man who has always been admired by women and AS's rejection hurt his pride. A womanizer like him felt the need to have her falling in love with him. 

I can understand why you understood the scene differently but there are different aspects that doesn't fit to this analysis.

1. To me, the order showing their faces doesn't reflect the dreams. Why was HS's face shown first, when his "dream" was witnessed the last?
  2. Moreover, DM knows perfectly well that AS despises him. She called him a traitor in an earlier episode. Then she was angry, when he touched her dress... He saw her pushing him away. How can he even imagine such a dream? Only someone who has never witnessed them together. EC was never there, when DM and AS were together. On the other hand, he saw that DM could read Korean. How can he even imagine that she loves him? DM has decided to remain by her side, like a silence lover watching her from afar.
  3. As for the scene between AS and HS... DM knows that HS visited AS with flowers. He often mentioned her as a flower.   

These were the reasons I interpreted this scene differently. To me, if this scene Mr Sunshine episode 7 HS with AS.png had been shown after his declaration of ill-intention, I would have understood it as his goal. If this dream can not become true, then he will do anything (even commit some wrongdoing) for her.

• Like 3

The ep 9 preview, she kept it all to herself, the pain & hurt. Poor girl! :tears::tears::tears: EC might go on a rampage the next time! :sweatingbullets: We'd have to wait till next weekend, that was unexpected despite the signs in episode 8 preview, thought he wouldn't shoot her.

Edit! Eugene knew by guessing that Ae Shin was the one getting shot, and by keeping each other's secret .. they are truly comrades in love.:wub:

H is for Heal = Hug th_hug.gif

ms197.jpg

• Like 9

I devoured episode 7, I'm now watching the beginning of episode 8, and I had to share this: I loooove when EC, DM and HS are onscreen together! The love/hate relationship between the three, the sloppy beginning of a possible bromance between the three (who, I think, all care for Joseon in their own way, even if two of them won't admit it yet), the tension sprinkled with dark humor... I can't get enough of the scenes. All three are amazing actors! :wub:

AS confusion when she keeps using the word "love" without realizing what it is, and when she finally understand its meaning, has been so hilarious to watch, too. :lol:

Also, the director of photography is amazing. There are so many iconic shots in each episodes! EC and AS standing on that tiny bridge (episode 7), when he's holding her hand and won't let go. The scene, with its luxurious natural backgrounds (trees and leaves), the explosion of color, is so good. At the end of episode 7, when DM is shown sitting behind the white fabric/cut square cloths that is drying and floating because of the blowing wind, and we only sees half his face because of that. My jaw dropped there, too (it was beautiful. By now you've guessed I love photography as an art). LBH micro-expressions as well, all his face conveys when every time he stares at HS...

Thank you writer-nim and all the Mr. Sunshine's team. This is a treat, and my Sunday started out happily. :wub:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Yongzura said:

my favourite site is "popgasa", have you checked it?

First, thank you; I wasn't very explicite before... I looked over 2 or 3 versions, but some of them doesn't seem to be right...  I reached the conclusion that the verses need to be translated like poetry not only the blunt meaning; something is... lost in translation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

Oh no my DM got slapped.. i wonder why ahh. 

He does deserve it for shooting her but will she find out that was him? 

I think she already knows. Do you remember when she told him, at the train station, "I could do it, but could you?"

She was talking about what happened the day before when DM was looking for that girl, and the gunfight started. After AS left, DM said to himself something along the lines of, "So you knew?" 

Forgive me because I'm writing all this from memory, and I need to rush out of the house so can't watch the video again and verify, but in that scene, body language and all, it seems clear that they both know what they're talking about: AS says she could shoot at him, and tells him he wouldn't put his sword through her or shoot at her (implying he had the opportunity and didn't)...

Edited to add: EC and AS. That must have been the most covert love confession I've seen in a while, the way they confirmed they love each other, without ever saying it out loud. My heart sank right there. And that hug at the end.... awwww! :) :lol:

• Like 7

Wow... So you're just going to shoot her when you realized it was her? Really?! I know in his character poster it said, "I shot a black bird" and whatever else it but I didn't think he would had actually do it... Wow! Look AS could have shot him but she didn't and when he's chasing after her and realizes who it is, he's still going to shoot anyway?

tenor.gif?itemid=5027537

DM, are you serious?! I was rooting for you! I'm rooting for AS more, the girl is bada**, how can I not root for her? But DM... come on!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4

Hi everyone :) I'm pretty new to this thread... I'm waiting for this drama to be completed before watching it... (haaaaaard !!) . But I like reading (a bit) of your posts, and following these news gorgeous OST in the meantine...

Actually i have a question, I can see that this drama doesn't have clips showing up on top 100 of naver. Is that something to worry about? I don't know much about naver rules . Maybe because it's a 16+ rated drama?

• Like 2