Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

17 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

@alemary You talking about this guy?

http://i63.-/w6p1d4.jpg

Jealous much? Well, he's on the route to make a second history of being the 'fangirling' (as you called it) nation's unrequited crush...

http://i67.-/15nkryt.jpg

Nevertheless, do you really have to go to that extent @alemary ? *sigh*

Just stay in your heavenly ship and at least learn to be polite ... please? Thank you.

P/S: Perhaps I am low on sugar this morning... @daydreamer115 hear, hear... although that uglified persona is just *cough* nose-bleed hotz *cough* and it's not even his fault! Never! :tounge_xd:

Images broken ;p

Edited by Berou
Please post minimum length of 20 characters to ensure the content is worth the time to read it :)

Note  I know this drama  has  created  2 ships  and not everyone likes  the second  lead character, please don't make attacks ad hominem or get into arguments about why someone chose a ship. We are all on board for entertainment here :).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, alemary said:

hardly desagree  @scarletlover1

The main and more popular ship is E and AS, im coming from a not so into kdrama field, ocasional watchers, netflix adicts, even preople who has never seeen any korean drama. People are crazy about the main couple and the story is indeed about Eugene and his reverge and love but also is abour AS and her fight and love story with an american soldier.-

The "confusion" come from the "fangirls" and i call it the Chilbong effect (reply 1994)that was so lame cause was obvious Yeon Seok wasn't the main lead and he would lose , it was clear since the beggining the girl didn't love him,  but fangirls (international and in this forum, korean NO they were ok) just couldn't accept it, it is  risky to put a "conventional" good looking actor as second lead cause especially non korean watchers start to distort the reality and the writer' clear intentions , Dong Mae is merely a secondary lead and the story in not about him although he is important, in the background, but still a secondary.-

My advise, just go with the flow and dont try AS like a trophy cause is useless and offensive as a woman, she will be with Eugene (she already hooked) but cause that's her heart not cause some "who gets the girl" contest and no, she and DM are not the ship.-

Mrsunshine Official IG 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlpocS2HweY/?taken-by=mrsunshinenetflix

Hello @alemary... Love what you wrote chingu. TBH , O don’t think he will do it. He may propose it but he won’t because from the preview he does some your if character and she also warns him of impending danger. So I will wait until the next episode to see what he does. I do agree chingu , if E uses Ae-Shin , I will be so pissed because like you said she is so into him already. He doesn’t even need to fake anything because she would abandon her fiancé in a minute to be with YuJin. It would be so disrespectful to her character especially with what she stand fo in this era.:heart::heart:

• Like 6

On 7/24/2018 at 1:48 AM, miracle23 said:

It is interesting to read your post as it portrays a contrasting view on the character. I may sound sympathetic towards DM, but truth is thus far I find his character's development the most consistent. It makes it easier to walk his path, by his side. Looking out to those little points that indicate a DM of Joseon under that facade that is a DM of Japan is like completing a puzzle. Having YYS as DM is definitely a bonus most welcome hahaha

Anyway, thanks for the good read! 

Cheers!

Thank you for your explanation and also thank you @daydreamer115.

One thing that I was surprised is how you interpreted what happened in his childhood. I did not take the behaviour of the old ladies to have anything to do with the subsequent rape attempt /rape. (I am not fully convinced it has, but who knows...) From how you understood the story, I can see why the mutilation of the old lady seems to some to be appropriate. (I still find that the punishment did not fit the crime, but as I said I can now see why people think differently.)

I agree with you DM is a very interesting character, and I like how his story shares similarities, but it is also very different from that of Eugene. I especially like that his behaviour raises questions about the limits of morality, about social desirability etc.

But despite this, I still think that the way he deals with his issues is not one that I can cheer for or approve in a person. His behaviour is toxic to society and to himself. In my opinion, he is beyond a bad boy who can be redeemed by a woman. (In fact, I do not believe that women can reform bad boys, a trope that I see a lot in Korean dramas. The trope has more to do with how men think about the role of women and how women have internalized the expectation to be the spiritual saviours of awful men). What I think he needs is a male role model. (In this respect, what saved Eugene is that he had some good male role models: the potter, the missionary, probably some of the people in the army.) Unfortunately, given the circles in which DM moves, there are no role models yet for him. In short, I want him to become morally better, for example, to fight for a better cause, or at least to find inner peace, but right now he is not doing any of these. But there are so many episodes left, so again who knows...

Thank you once again for your explanation. 

• Like 10

@tzupi Thank you to you too! While we might have different views, I enjoy reading your perspective too. Me understanding Dong Mae's origin of rage and what sparked him in doing what he did towards his parents' murderers aside, like you, I also did not agree with his violent ways in punishing people he think ought to be punished. 

The thing about Dong Mae is that people see him as a ruthless, blood hungry person because he is shown as one killing machine from the way he kills, but so far in the drama, he was only shown to kill his parents' murderers (the ahjumonis) and the two Japanese men talking about wishing to violate Ae Shin and glad that girls like her would kill themselves after. 

If we're talking about Mr. Sunshine's main characters having cold blood and having no problem in killing people, we are actually talking about 3 people here - Dong Mae, Eugene and even Ae Shin. These 3 people have been killing people though the reasons behind their killings differ.  We know who Dong Mae killed and why since these were shown in this drama, as for Eugene, him being a US Marine officer and having participated in the Spanish - American war and have killed countless of men himself - he was not forced to do it and it was his own choice to be an army. And Ae Shin (& Eugene) killing the American Logan Taylor based on their own reasons. The killings made by this 3 characters could be also be argued whether or not they are justified and appropriate. 

I understand when people think Dong Mae as non-redeemable because the drama shows us how he killed those people so ruthlessly, making people shocked and horrified. But in actuality, the other characters also have no problem in killing people (regardless of their reasons). 

...adwhefbaehjgbra idk why am talking about killing and stuffs lmao sorry bye.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, plappi said:

KIM YOON AH – DAYS WITHOUT TEARS (눈물 아닌 날들) MR. SUNSHINE OST PART 3

This song is definitely about DM and his painful love for AS :tears:

AS in a mourning outfit, it could be her grandfather, just because he is old :unsure: 

The chemistry between DM and AS from the stills is so intense.  I hope both of will do a project together after Mr Sunshine.  They look cute :D

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing @plappi :wub:...

I have been listening to the full song and put it on replay since yesterday and I still can't decide which one is more haunting, the music or KYA's voice or both. The song does fit DM's story. Sadness is looming ... 

5 hours ago, rubie said:

We are here for MR.SUNSHINE.. no matter what.. one thread, ok.th_katt.gif

Another DM-AS encounter .. unhappy vibe.. :tears: Could be major spoiler.. :sweatingbullets:

Source: TV Dailytaeri_yeosin

[...]

Shall I make a guess of what could possibly transpired in that scene, while waiting for Sat & Sun to come? 

Someone close to her died and maybe DM has a hand in it. He went to her to apologise but didn't say the words instead got told off by AE. He refused to leave and sat on the railway. She ignores him and just walked away.

Gonna have to be strong to get through the remaining 18 episodes... so many are going to die...:bawling:

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

I'm sorry but I'm still not convinced that Eugene and Ae Shin are the OTP here. Like, I'm here for the friendship/companionship. I feel like they have chemistry but not the romantic kind, it's not working. I'm not feeling it. And also Eugene could just be using her as a revenge card. But I feel like I prefer Eugene with Hina.

Ae Shin has so much more chemistry with Dong Mae and they haven't even had that many scenes together. Maybe Ae Shin and Dong Mae are the real OTP here? They could have more of the passionate and forbidden love story. You never know, it's rare for the second male lead to get the girl. But it still happened in some dramas and movies...

However, I do love the characters.

lol.. well on paper the OTP def is E-AS couple..

but on screen she has more chemistry with the third lead :) or rather with her mentor.. when she goes all girly and young..

i think we need time on AS's front for her to really like someone and then display the romantic , sexual tension.. right now its kind of dead end from her side... but the emotions her character is displaying right now are bang on.. very good actress.. she is superior in other two relationships and showing off in the last one left ..

• Like 2

Character description from TVN website:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html?h_seq=6

These answer some questions.

Translation:

f131757597380104346(0).png

Hwang Eun-San (ceramist)

Since he was young, he was always good with clay. From Japan, China, Russia, etc. everyone coveted his work. He was the best ceramist in Joseon.

A genius is bound to be surrounded by rumors. That he was an alcoholic, a weirdo with a bad temper, and a moody person whose mood changes day-to-day. And all these rumors were true. There were so many apprentices who couldn't last a week. And collectors who had crossed oceans were often chased away without having even seen Eun-San's shadow, let alone any ceramics. And when he gets a white porcelain piece that may come out once in 10 years, he might give it away to a local tavern where he is a regular.

But among the rumors, there were two things left out. The first is that he is a leader of an "army raised for a just cause," comprised of butchers, palace maids, noblemen, peasants, and "gapachis." The second is that he saved Eugene's life 30 years ago, when Eugene was 9 years old.

--------------------------

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html?h_seq=4

f131735011152440508(0).png

Kudo Hina (Hotel Glory's owner)

Before the ink dried on her Joseon name, Lee Yang-Hwa, she married early, thanks to her "Chinilpa" father's unique insight, and became Kudo Hina. But her mother could not see her marry, because despite being "the wife who has shared his burdens" she was cast out by her father for being a Joseon person.

Thanks to having a father who would sell anything he could, including his daughter or nation, she had to sell herself before anyone else could, and stand up before anyone swept her away. When her father had her married off to a wealthy Japanese landowner, she chose to bite instead of cry. She aimed at the weak spots, she bit, and she pushed them down.

Her husband died 5 years after her marriage, and she received a large inheritance as if to make up for her lifeless youth. It was Hotel Glory. The person who was happiest at her inheritance was her father, Lee Wan-Ik. Hina could see through her father, and insisted on using her husband's name so that her father could not steal the hotel.

The young and beautiful widow in Hanseong was yet another attraction for those who sought out the hotel. Modern boy, dandy boy, vagrants... any "boy" in Joseon all gathered at Hotel Glory so Hina always enjoyed great business every day. Hina was not even envious of the king. All the power in Joseon was in the hands of men, but all the men were always at Hotel Glory. Every night, Hina watched and laughed as the imperialists tore Joseon apart with their vicious tongues. Joseon should choose to bite instead of cry.  How regrettable.

Her life was always that of seconds. Her second name became her real name, and her second nation became her real nation. Now if only her second man became her real man, then her life would be perfect. That man's name was Eugene. But this man, he's looking at another woman. The granddaughter of the parliamentarian, the lady.

Go Ae-Shin. Shall I bite that wench tomorrow?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@rubie thanks for the compliment, so happy to be stripping Mr Sunshine. Waiting for WWWSK to end, then I can be fully onboard this drama. Me too, I love reading and listening to old songs , the lyrics were  just so romantic . 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

I totally forgot that Ae Shin doesnt know that ECs parents were slaves.

But, looks like Dong Mae doesnt know either.

Although, I think that he will be glad when he finds out, and that it will

make them feel closer.

Dong Mae already said to EC ''I like you''. :wub:

I hope the answer will be the same.

Fingers crossed...:D

Yes, I also like how EC isnt trying to hide his origin, and how calmly he

speaks about it.

He doesnt care what other people think.

• Like 7

I must say that I am impressed by the creativity of writer and director to be able to have all those ppl in a drama set in that time period. Really ingenious of them.....

Another ppl below in the upcoming episodes?? Gift from HS to Ae Shin?

• Like 3

@charray I think it is the music box shown at the end of episode 1 when the young EC was wandering in the NY streets and saw  it through a window shop 

z2OrdWB.png

I'm also amazed by the creativity of PPL, through  my IG timeline I saw the candies and coffee

• Like 3

7 hours ago, daydreamer115 said:

@tzupi 

Finally someone points out the hypocrisy of some people not supporting DM because he "kills" yet have no issues when Eugune betrayed his country and has killed alot of people. AS is allowed to assassinate people and kill people whose ruining her country but DM gets bashed for killing who are not exactly nice people to begin with. 

• Like 2