[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

July 30, 2018

Assault on 'Mr. Sunshine' 

By Andrew Salmon The Korea Times

Some locals, according to recent articles in this newspaper, are dissatisfied with the high-profile tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine."

The series, starring Lee Byung-hun, arguably Korea's most famous thespian, is fictitious. However, it is set in a real historical period: The twilight of the "Hermit Kingdom," during which a reluctant Joseon was leveraged into the wider world and eventually devoured by Imperial Japan.

The criticisms are multiple.

Some are unhappy with the depiction of Joseon as a politically weak and technologically backward kingdom, reliant upon foreigners to introduce modern innovations (as, indeed, was the case). Others complain that a pro-Japanese character is given credible reason for his actions (as if all Koreans who eased Japan's takeover were simply evil and/or lacking rational motivations).

Most remarkably, 20,000 people are petitioning the Blue House to introduce historical censorship.

"Mr. Sunshine" does not claim to be historically accurate (if it were, the lead character could not exist). It is entertainment. And the critiques are ridiculous from a historical standpoint. So what is going on?

I sense a double standard. Many dramas and films set during the 1910-45 colonial period are out-and-out fiction, but because they take a nationalistic stance, they are tolerated ― or lauded.

Last year's hit thriller "The Battleship Island," depicted a heroic revolt among Korean laborers and miners at a Japanese island. No revolt actually took place at the island (which is a real place). Elderly Japanese who had been there were bewildered by the film, telling journalists that relations with Koreans at the location had been amicable.

No Korean critics demanded this ahistorical film be censored. And fair enough. The filmmakers never claimed their film was historically accurate (whether viewers got that message is another issue, but entertainers are not required to be educators).

I suggest critics of "Mr Sunshine" are not demanding historical accuracy. What they are demanding is one-sided, nationalistic portrayals of historical events. 

Even if "historical accuracy" were to be enforced over dramas ― who would do it? What would the standard be? History ― in a democracy, at least ― is not a "right/wrong" science: it is open to analysis.

Given that Korea was, in the recent past, ruled by authoritarian leaders who controlled information flows, I am dismayed by these calls for censorship. Censorship over art is, speaking generally, a loss to art.

If costume dramas were required to be historically accurate, we would lose some of the great films of all time: "Gladiator," "Braveheart," "The Sound of Music," "Gone with the Wind," etc.

And let us not suggest that Korean auteurs cannot make very intelligent historical dramas. They can.

"The Fortress," a thoughtful film about the Manchu invasion of Korea, appeared in the same year as the melodramatic "Battleship Island," and I cannot speak of its historical accuracy ― it was based on a novel ― but the film sensitively addresses the human condition.

"The Fortress" contrasts the privileges of the rulers with the degradations of the ruled, and its central theme is universal: Is it the duty of a leader to resist an enemy ― or to spare his people by bowing to that enemy? Both sides of the debate, and related repercussions, are treated sympathetically and powerfully. It is a nuanced film, not a simplistic one.

But the Manchu invasions took place in the 17th century; Japanese colonialism ended in 1945.

Could such an even-handed and intelligent filmic treatment of the Japanese colonial period be produced in Korea today? Or must all Korean art dealing with the Japanese colonial period be restricted to simplistic, flag-waving victimhood?

Andrew Salmon (andrewcsalmon@yahoo.co.uk) is a Seoul-based reporter and author.

Spoiler

FYI: Lee Byung Hun was also one of the leads in THE FORTRESS.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Just finished watching ep 8...since I don´t like writing essays I will keep it short :D

-I very much liked the episode and it might be my favorite so far.

- I like the relationship between Kyle and EC...Kyle is keeping  EC in check so that he will not get consumed with his revenge

- The hug at the end was so awesome :wub:..but  I don´t think that EC will return it back...because at the back of him he is aware that she got a fiance

- Ae-Shin is my female lead crush right now,  :lol:

-I think I´m going to start keeping track on Kyle´s poetry :w00t:

- I would like to have the closet of Kudo Hina...she always look beautiful in anything that she wears :wub:

-I noticed that more and more people are picking up this drama and I´m very happy about it :)

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Padjot Nguyen said:

Its a disgrace in AS eyes yet shes killing people her self? This is why i find her views so contracting. 

I agree that in terms of love DM will never get that but i still believe she will feel something for him. If he dies for her i want her to be upset and feel something and i think that will happen.

tumblr_pcn3vmBMmu1qm5w5wo7_400.gif

This gaze.. i love DM so much this character is the most comp

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

She wasn't raped every night. The rape was just a payback for her behavior, when she asked for the money. Moreover, his mother had killed a man hence they got lynched. This lynch justice happened because there were no authorities. AS was a just a noble young girl and as such, she couldn't intervene. 

EC's parents had a worse situation as they had no rights at all. They could get sold and separated... Since she was married, the grandfather had to find a scheme in order to get rid of the husband. If he had given her to the Minister without the husband and child, he would have upset all the other slaves and given a bad image of himself. Since his slaves ran away, he had a reason to kill the father. That way, no one would ever criticize him for his verdict. 

I disagree totally about who had it worse , EC parents were slaves but DM's parents couldn't even get paid and got disrespected by the slaves.. His mother got raped and then she killed him and then sent DM away and he thought that his parents were abandoning  him etc.  Rarely were slaves separated or sold apart which is why alot of slaves had families etc.. so those children would be born into slavery and people get more slaves. 

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

DM is loyal to no one, only to money. Notice that he always wants to be paid first before doing the job. He always threatens people with money: if you don't pay, then I can find another client who will be willing to pay me more. This is connected to his childhood trauma, because his parents had done their job before getting paid which created a terrible situation which escalated to their deaths. It is a trauma to him, that's why he will ask AS if the Righteous Army pays well. In that case, he will join the group. I can understand why AS will be upset as DM has not understood what they are fighting for.

I love this part and never thought about why he loves money but you explain DM perfectly. 

2 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

DM has some guts though. He's got some guts. Every time I feel like I have him figured out and then realize I don't have him figured out. I remember that scene from the trailer, we heard the gunshot but the scene turned black. I was thinking that like he's was ordered to kill her and as soon as he realized it was her, he shot but missed on purpose to make his superior or whatever think that he did kill her when he really didn't. But turns out that wasn't the case! AS had plenty of opportunities to shoot DM but she didn't do it. However he shoots her when he knows it her... And you don't even check to make sure she's alright?! You have disrespected her three times then you shoot her! What else are you going to do? DM you lost some points. #SorryNotSorry, you brought that upon yourself... Every time I think about it, I still can't believe he did it.

Totally how i feel about DM he is a really complex character that you dont really know what hes thinking. I dont think he knew 100% that it was her which is why he shot. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

DM has some guts though. He's got some guts. Every time I feel like I have him figured out and then realize I don't have him figured out. I remember that scene from the trailer, we heard the gunshot but the scene turned black. I was thinking that like he's was ordered to kill her and as soon as he realized it was her, he shot but missed on purpose to make his superior or whatever think that he did kill her when he really didn't. But turns out that wasn't the case! AS had plenty of opportunities to shoot DM but she didn't do it. However he shoots her when he knows it her... And you don't even check to make sure she's alright?! You have disrespected her three times then you shoot her! What else are you going to do? DM you lost some points. #SorryNotSorry, you brought that upon yourself... Every time I think about it, I still can't believe he did it.

he is dying anyway.. what's the point.. he will die towards the end.. hope its on better terms with AS

i kind of don't want a happy ending in this show.. with DM-AS or EC-AS

I want AS to become what her mother was.. come on her own. .. right now her world is limited to her mentor. i want her to become a true freedom fighter

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

It doesnt matter if Dong Mae will die for Ae Shin, or he will shoot her,

her stone cold indifference  stays the same.

Thats simply how it is.

I disagree i think he will die for and she will feel something.

17 minutes ago, 12blbl said:

Will they halt the broadcast with the petition going on? 

The Petition is a irrelevant number of people. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sarang21 said:

Just finished watching ep 8...since I don´t like writing essays I will keep it short :D

-I very much liked the episode and it might be my favorite so far.

- I like the relationship between Kyle and EC...Kyle is keeping  EC in check so that he will not get consumed with his revenge

- The hug at the end was so awesome :wub:..but  I don´t think that EC will return it back...because at the back of him he is aware that she got a fiance

- Ae-Shin is my female lead crush right now,  :lol:

-I think I´m going to start keeping track on Kyle´s poetry :w00t:

- I would like to have the closet of Kudo Hina...she always look beautiful in anything that she wears :wub:

-I noticed that more and more people are picking up this drama and I´m very happy about it :)

you know world has a way to balance things..

because kyle is doing so much good this time, next rebirth he will become terrorist ( ;) urk)

because DM keeps losing the girl in every rebirth .. lol.. oh god someone needs to recommend me sthg where he actually gets the girl

AS is so tired of these men falling for her that she goes on to have her own lesbian story :P ( handmaiden.. by the way isn't that set in the same timeperiod of japanese.. a few years from now :P .. lol i say kill all three men and let AS survive, lose her noble status , become servant.. because then we know where that story would be going )

and our lady spy had so much of spy that next rebirth she falls for a spy :P ( man to man)

our fiancee was so good at swordfight that he renounced sworfight in this birth (SFD)

casting has so many stories :P 

• LOL 5

13 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

you know world has a way to balance things..

because kyle is doing so much good this time, next rebirth he will become terrorist ( ;) urk)

because DM keeps losing the girl in every rebirth .. lol.. oh god someone needs to recommend me sthg where he actually gets the girl

AS is so tired of these men falling for her that she goes on to have her own lesbian story :P ( handmaiden.. by the way isn't that set in the same timeperiod of japanese.. a few years from now :P .. lol i say kill all three men and let AS survive, lose her noble status , become servant.. because then we know where that story would be going )

and our lady spy had so much of spy that next rebirth she falls for a spy :P ( man to man)

our fiancee was so good at swordfight that he renounced sworfight in this birth (SFD)

casting has so many stories :P 

This is so hilarious and on point :lol:...good job making all those connections :D

As for the highlighted part he gets the girl in "Warm and Cozy" ;) 

Hina is a truly mysterious character right now.  My first instinct is that she is a ‘rebel’ too but a different kind.  Right now there’s only bits and pieces about her, very hard to tell.  I am also curious about her mom, what happened to her?   Could it be because her father married her off at a very young age?  

My thoughts on DM is very simple.  He is a broken man, his anger and hatred towards the aristocrats is worse than EC.  DM hated for being a butcher’s son whereas EC’s hatred is only for HS’s family who caused the death of his parents.  He admits that he is a son of a slave whereas DM gets very upset when butcher is being mentioned.  His arrogance is probably what turned AS off.  I think AS cannot bring herself to have any affection for a man who is so  full of hatred and revenge and proud about it.   This is just my personal opinion.

• Like 9

At least, Kyle is no longer a "useless superior" but someone who keeps everything in check including Eugene, whether he needs help/advice or not. The American Legation is Eugene's responsibility but overall, Kyle keeps an eye on things, his easygoing but sensible way. He's having a picnic indeed.

Source: enews24

'Sean Shine' David McGinnis, Lee Boe-heon

• Like 7

I also think Dong Mae's character is not complex at all. I've seen those types even today..those who are just angry with the world because of the fate they are dealt with.

What intrigues me more is kim hee sung... the soft, with an always smiling face guy.. I think he is very deep and is very capable of anyrhing..  will i hate him soon or just be that friendly guy in room 303?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wotad said:

Its a disgrace in AS eyes yet shes killing people her self? This is why i find her views so contracting. 

I agree that in terms of love DM will never get that but i still believe she will feel something for him. If he dies for her i want her to be upset and feel something and i think that will happen.

This gaze.. i love DM so much this character is the most comp

I disagree totally about who had it worse , EC parents were slaves but DM's parents couldn't even get paid and got disrespected by the slaves.. His mother got raped and then she killed him and then sent DM away and he thought that his parents were abandoning  him etc.  Rarely were slaves separated or sold apart which is why alot of slaves had families etc.. so those children would be born into slavery and people get more slaves. 

I love this part and never thought about why he loves money but you explain DM perfectly. 

Totally how i feel about DM he is a really complex character that you dont really know what hes thinking. I dont think he knew 100% that it was her which is why he shot. 

AS is in the Righteous Army and she considers herself as a soldier. What she’s doing right now is her duty. I don’t think we can compare her killing bad people for Joseon’s sake (the US ambassador, DM’s underlings) with DM’s killing random people (for money and revenge). The two kinds of killings have nothing in common and neither do AS and DM. I don’t think AS looks at DM with a disgusted face. If that’s the case, what about the face she showed to HS? With both HS and DM, she showed an expression of non-interest, non-admiration, non-relation. All of her positive expressions are for EC already. With me, AS is not a noblewoman who gives much thought about class. Maybe she was when she first started learning shooting with the gunner Jang. But time flew and she spent 10 years in the Righteous Army; I bet she’s met all kinds of people and class doesn’t weigh much from her point of view. So the look she gave DM is not for a lowly butcher’s son but for a guy who made a wrong choice and did nothing to reverse it. Besides that, have you guys ever felt that her look ar DM before the shooting also contained her fear? Tears even lingered in her eyes when DM grabbed her skirt even when they’re adults. How would you feel if when you’re just a kid, some older guy grabbed your skirt and wiped blood on his mouth while looking at you so intensely and angrily? That also explained why DM could never be with AS because he reminded her of “not safe” feeling. 

Edited by Berou
please do not quote images, thank you :) !
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rubie said:

July 30, 2018

Assault on 'Mr. Sunshine' 

By Andrew Salmon The Korea Times

Some locals, according to recent articles in this newspaper, are dissatisfied with the high-profile tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine."

The series, starring Lee Byung-hun, arguably Korea's most famous thespian, is fictitious. However, it is set in a real historical period: The twilight of the "Hermit Kingdom," during which a reluctant Joseon was leveraged into the wider world and eventually devoured by Imperial Japan.

The criticisms are multiple.

Some are unhappy with the depiction of Joseon as a politically weak and technologically backward kingdom, reliant upon foreigners to introduce modern innovations (as, indeed, was the case). Others complain that a pro-Japanese character is given credible reason for his actions (as if all Koreans who eased Japan's takeover were simply evil and/or lacking rational motivations).

Most remarkably, 20,000 people are petitioning the Blue House to introduce historical censorship.

"Mr. Sunshine" does not claim to be historically accurate (if it were, the lead character could not exist). It is entertainment. And the critiques are ridiculous from a historical standpoint. So what is going on?

I sense a double standard. Many dramas and films set during the 1910-45 colonial period are out-and-out fiction, but because they take a nationalistic stance, they are tolerated ― or lauded.

Last year's hit thriller "The Battleship Island," depicted a heroic revolt among Korean laborers and miners at a Japanese island. No revolt actually took place at the island (which is a real place). Elderly Japanese who had been there were bewildered by the film, telling journalists that relations with Koreans at the location had been amicable.

No Korean critics demanded this ahistorical film be censored. And fair enough. The filmmakers never claimed their film was historically accurate (whether viewers got that message is another issue, but entertainers are not required to be educators).

I suggest critics of "Mr Sunshine" are not demanding historical accuracy. What they are demanding is one-sided, nationalistic portrayals of historical events. 

Even if "historical accuracy" were to be enforced over dramas ― who would do it? What would the standard be? History ― in a democracy, at least ― is not a "right/wrong" science: it is open to analysis.

Given that Korea was, in the recent past, ruled by authoritarian leaders who controlled information flows, I am dismayed by these calls for censorship. Censorship over art is, speaking generally, a loss to art.

If costume dramas were required to be historically accurate, we would lose some of the great films of all time: "Gladiator," "Braveheart," "The Sound of Music," "Gone with the Wind," etc.

And let us not suggest that Korean auteurs cannot make very intelligent historical dramas. They can.

"The Fortress," a thoughtful film about the Manchu invasion of Korea, appeared in the same year as the melodramatic "Battleship Island," and I cannot speak of its historical accuracy ― it was based on a novel ― but the film sensitively addresses the human condition.

"The Fortress" contrasts the privileges of the rulers with the degradations of the ruled, and its central theme is universal: Is it the duty of a leader to resist an enemy ― or to spare his people by bowing to that enemy? Both sides of the debate, and related repercussions, are treated sympathetically and powerfully. It is a nuanced film, not a simplistic one.

But the Manchu invasions took place in the 17th century; Japanese colonialism ended in 1945.

Could such an even-handed and intelligent filmic treatment of the Japanese colonial period be produced in Korea today? Or must all Korean art dealing with the Japanese colonial period be restricted to simplistic, flag-waving victimhood?

Andrew Salmon (andrewcsalmon@yahoo.co.uk) is a Seoul-based reporter and author.

Hide contents

FYI: Lee Byung Hun was also one of the leads in THE FORTRESS.

Thank you  Just some thoughts about the very little I know. There is pop history and history.  Koreans suffered tremendous humiliation during the Japanese occupation. It is understandably difficult to dramatize how Koreans may have been collaborators and also brought about its own destruction.  In the memoir by Dr Underwood (I mentioned in an earlier comment)  she mentioned the Empress's father-in-law (not the bio father of the emperor) worked with the Japanese to kill her. This is based on her own first hand knowledge of the situation - but in most history this is pushed aside, because that idea of a Korean working with the Japanese to kill the empress is too painful, and awful to accept.    In that respect I don't know if anyone will ever really know and understand all the forces at work, but perhaps as time goes by and the real agony of the occupation is less raw and painful, there may be greater insights revealed.    There were extremely courageous and brave defenders of Joseon, some eventually fled to Mongolia.  

about the plot.  I am enjoying this series. But, the plot is not excellent.  EC gets back to Korea by accident. His relationship and contribution to the Spanish American War and his friendship with his senior who's life he saves.   He wants revenge all these years, but if he didn't get sent to Korea by Teddy R. what plan did he have?   He is adamant about American not Joseon because of the abusive class system that killed his family.  Understandable. But what else about him? We hear the wistful heartbreak melody of Greensleeves, but at 40 years old he appears to have no love life.  The history about Asians in the US and becoming citizens is very complicated. in 1790 although no whites could enter the US, the law said they could not become citizens, unabashedly racist.  Based on the little I know gleaned from wikipediea,  after the civil war the law was changed for blacks in 1870 because of the naturalization of the emancipated slaves but did not include Asians.   Also there were laws like the  "anti-coolie act" referring to cheap Chinese labor.  I think there were ways for Asians to become citizens, allowed in the country to go to school and perhaps because EC was sponsored as a child for education by an American, not for labor purpose as an employee he could become a citizen (I am not an expert but the laws were really racist so EC's status in this drama is highly improbable, especially because you see no resentment shown by the white soldiers under his command, although not all would be racists, given the time period, some might be.     Of course the story about AS becoming a sniper is not impossible but strained.  Still I am enjoying it.    To the writer's credit she does manage to bring into the drama people from e very walk of life.   

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Thank you  Just some thoughts about the very little I know. There is pop history and history.  Koreans suffered tremendous humiliation during the Japanese occupation. It is understandably difficult to dramatize how Koreans may have been collaborators and also brought about its own destruction.  In the memoir by Dr Underwood (I mentioned in an earlier comment)  she mentioned the Empress's father-in-law (not the bio father of the emperor) worked with the Japanese to kill her. This is based on her own first hand knowledge of the situation - but in most history this is pushed aside, because that idea of a Korean working with the Japanese to kill the empress is too painful, and awful to accept.    In that respect I don't know if anyone will ever really know and understand all the forces at work, but perhaps as time goes by and the real agony of the occupation is less raw and painful, there may be greater insights revealed.    There were extremely courageous and brave defenders of Joseon, some eventually fled to Mongolia.  

Well, after so many years the dark side of history should be revealed and not put under the carpet. Yes, it is not agreeable to remember that some colluded with Japanese. But this phenomenon is not rare. It happened in so many countries, like ex. in France, where some French people decided to work with German during the Occupation. They did even help to persecute Jews so that in 1995 Chirac the French president recognized officially the responsability in the Holocaust during WWII. Fact is that only a few were in the Résistance... many were passive. After WWII, the resistance was glorified: French were presented as freedom fighters and the Germans were all stigmatized as Nazis!! This kind of glorification has nothing to do with facts and history. 

To me, this story looks quite close to reality. It shows how Joseon was weak because of the lack of union among Joseon people. The Joseon Emperor doesn't want to be associated with slaves/commoners. The old hierarchy is deep anchored and commoners are looked down by aristocrats. Then asking for censor is a sign that they prefer to present Joseon as victim. I am sure that some Joseon people benefited from the annexation by Japan.     

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, after so many years the dark side of history should be revealed and not put under the carpet. Yes, it is not agreeable to remember that some colluded with Japanese. But this phenomenon is not rare. It happened in so many countries, like ex. in France, where some French people decided to work with German during the Occupation. They did even help to persecute Jews so that in 1995 Chirac the French president recognized officially the responsability in the Holocaust during WWII. Fact is that only a few were in the Résistance... many were passive. After WWII, the resistance was glorified: French were presented as freedom fighters and the Germans were all stigmatized as Nazis!! This kind of glorification has nothing to do with facts and history. 

To me, this story looks quite close to reality. It shows how Joseon was weak because of the lack of union among Joseon people. The Joseon Emperor doesn't want to be associated with slaves/commoners. The old hierarchy is deep anchored and commoners are looked down by aristocrats. Then asking for censor is a sign that they prefer to present Joseon as victim. I am sure that some Joseon people benefited from the annexation by Japan.  

Agree -  it certainly does show how the class system corrupted  the nobles and demoralized the people - parasite in the gut of the tiger that sickens and destroys it.   - and at the opening the powerful officials controlling the king - keep the westerners out refusing opening  to trade with the 'barbarians"   -  perhaps making an early alliance and treaties may have protected the country later on.    

We do see the phenom of national and cultural pride intentionally blurring the reality of history.   I remember in the film "The King and I",  "The country of Siam was physically much smaller than surrounding countries when Anna shows the map to the students in her class  and it caused quite a flap.  Reality aside. And the saying about history being written by the victors.   I guess there is also an underground history by the conquered as well.

In regard to th pro nazis in Vichy France, to be fair, even if not in the resistance, a large portion of the French populace were not pro-German or happy with the occupation.  And those seen as collaborating were treated brutally after the war. I think the pro nazis were mostly in the areas of a population that bordered with Germany and also the aristocracy and some wealthy business interests.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Agree -  it certainly does show how the class system corrupted  the nobles and demoralized the people - parasite in the gut of the tiger that sickens and destroys it.   - and at the opening the aristocracy keeps the westerners out refusing opening  to trade with the 'barbarians"   -  perhaps making an early alliance and treaties may have protected the country later on.    

I doubt it... All the Western nations used the same methods: make treaties in Africa and Asia (open their ports for trades) but as exchange, they had to refuse the other Western Countries. Besides, in the long term, it was always to the disadvantage of the natives. They also forced the natives to become dependent of the mainland: in India, it was forbidden to create cotton clothes. The cotton clothes had to come from Manchester. India had to produce cotton which was sent to GB and there, the clothes were made. They killed that way the local market. By doing so, they wanted to create business opportunities for English factories. French did the same... Because of the Industrialization, they needed to find new markets. In the mainland, the workers representing a huge part of the society couldn't buy all the produced clothes. That's why there is this huge financial crisis in Europe. They needed to find new clients which had to be found in the future colonies. 

Then they used the lack of union among these territories. They supported one tribe against another or cast against another. Little by little, Great-Britain or France (the biggest two colonial empires) took control over these territories. In India, f. ex., British let the local authorities stay but in reality, the maharajahs had lost their power.  

I hope, it was understandable.

• Like 6