[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Dong-mae is a wasteman!!!! I'm so mad. How's he still gonna shoot when he realises that its her? Bloody fool :unamused: That's why you'll never get the girl, idiot! Anyway, this episode was a banger and Ae-shin is a queen. I hope we get more action packed episodes from now on.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, lucia10110 said:

Dong-mae is a wasteman!!!! I'm so mad. How's he still gonna shoot when he realises that its her? Bloody fool :unamused: That's why you'll never get the girl, idiot! Anyway, this episode was a banger and Ae-shin is a queen. I hope we get more action packed episodes from now on.

I don't think he realised that it's her . he realised that after shooting her

• Like 1

While I am watching Mr. Sunshine on Netflix, I miss very much the OST lyrics which would have been provided if viki.com had the license for the series.    This is my own work.    
OST No. 1 Translation

Despite the harsh sunlight, the spring was beautiful.
The flower petals breathtakingly bloomed red above the fields

In the long endless night again it is the lushness which covers me 
To leave again even if it is a dream would be cruel.

*Start of refrain*
On a day when  every wind stops
On a day when longing is allowed
Without being strident with my heart
I will call you
*End of refrain*

Perhaps at the end of this life
If there is a  day you might not be able to come
By the name which will not die down
I will call you

Our pain is another difference between you and me
It closes our eyes to the fate which intended each of us for the other

Refrain

In my dried up sea
There is but one red sun rising
It is an unforgettable dream
Which is so distant it cannot be reached 

On the day we finally become one
It will call my splendid pain
It is all green.    
“Translation Note:  In the song, the word 푸르름 is used several times.  Literaally it is the color blue-green but it used poetically as a symbol of youth, lushness, abundance. 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Leila Essalih said:

I don't think he realised that it's her . he realised that after shooting her

Great episode!

He realized that it is her before shooting.  That’s why he moved his aim to injure the leg instead of a more fatal shot in the torso or head. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Can someone elaborate the conversation EC and AS were having please? All these double meanings and references. When EC said he was the one doing all the rowing, does that mean all his subtle hints of confessions towards Ae sin? Thank you in advance. :wub:

• Like 4

This show drives me crazy- I can’t focus on my exam tomorrow, the hug is killing meee... the feels... Ae Shin’s eyes just say a lot... I wish it shows Eugene hugging her back before it ends! Ackkk

Wake me up when September ends pls!! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

4 hours ago, cgwm808 said:

While I am watching Mr. Sunshine on Netflix, I miss very much the OST lyrics which would have been provided if viki.com had the license for the series.    This is my own work.    
OST No. 1 Translation

Despite the harsh sunlight, the spring was beautiful.
The flower petals breathtakingly bloomed red above the fields

In the long endless night again it is the lushness which covers me 
To leave again even if it is a dream would be cruel.

*Start of refrain*
On a day when  every wind stops
On a day when longing is allowed
Without being strident with my heart
I will call you
*End of refrain*

If there is a  day you might not be able to come
By the name which will not die down
I will call you

Our pain is another difference between you and me
It closes our eyes to the fate which intended each of us for the other

Refrain

In my dried up sea
There is but one red sun rising
It is an unforgettable dream
Which is so distant it cannot be reached 

On the day we finally become one
It will call my splendid pain
It is all green.    
“Translation Note:  In the song, the word 푸르름 is used several times.  Literaally it is the color blue-green but it used poetically as a symbol of youth, lushness, abundance. 

Thank you.

Here are the lyrics to Greensleeves. I notice "green" is also in the other lyrics and both are wistful about perhaps at the end of life you love me, etc.

GREENSLEEVES
(poss. by Henry VIII of England, 1500's.)

Alas, my love, you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously
For I have loved you well and long
Delighting in your company

Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight
Greensleeves was my heart of gold
And who but my lady greensleeves

Your vows you've broken, like my heart
Oh, why did you so enrapture me?
Now I remain in a world apart
But my heart remains in captivity

[Chorus]

I have been ready at your hand
To grant whatever you would crave
I have both wagered life and land
Your love and good-will for to have

[Chorus]

If you intend thus to disdain
It does the more enrapture me
And even so, I still remain
A lover in captivity

[Chorus]

My men were clothed all in green
And they did ever wait on thee;
All this was gallant to be seen
And yet thou wouldst not love me

[Chorus]

Thou couldst desire no earthly thing
But still thou hadst it readily
Thy music still to play and sing;
And yet thou wouldst not love me

[Chorus]

Well, I will pray to God on high
That thou my constancy mayst see
And that yet once before I die
Thou wilt vouchsafe to love me

[Chorus]

Ah, Greensleeves, now farewell, adieu
To God I pray to prosper thee
For I am still thy lover true
Come once again and love me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Berou said:

I pondered a lot about the last line and tried to decipher it. Here is my interpretation : When AS said I can kill you but I don't think you can kill me she referred to what happened at Jemulpo, although DM got the chance he couldn't kill her. To me, she knew the reason, it is because he loves her. Then when she said I can kill you but you can't , she implied I can kill you because I don't love you but you can't because you love me.  Basically she rejected him. This is why DM said : " On top of that you already know [ that I love you ] ". 

Yeah this is exactly what i thought as well, you literally wrote what was on my mind when i was watching this moment.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Okay just some random thoughts and questions here.

I love the AS’s grandpa. Like e seriously is grandpa goals. That American soldier, Kyle, what ethnicity is he? He mentioned British but he kind of looks Spanish to me. That flashback the fiancée, HS, has when he gets the pocket watch back. What’s the story about that? Either I missed something or that’s gonna be explored in future episodes. The mute fortune teller that stays with DM, does she sleep with him cause her kimonoip is always exposing a shoulder lie she just got out of bed or something? Just if she is, I don’t see how DM has a right to be territorial on AS when he’s got his own sidechicks.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

This weeks episodes were great with both the action and story and have been my favourite yet.

There was one scene which really hit me and it was the ending scene when AS and EC hugged. The shot was done in  a way where AS lower half of her face was covered in EC arms and I thought that was beatiful ❤

DjRslAhUYAIcy52?format=jpg

In my opinion it mirrored when AS diguises herself as a freedom fighter and basically showed how with EC she could be herself and feel protected and open with him. In that scene he became her comrade and her heart was his. I just thought it was lovely and had to share my thoughts on it!

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Berou said:

I didn't understand it  that way. I think he got the strong conviction it was her but wasn't sure 100%. So instead of aiming her head or chest, he shot her leg and wanted to check later. Hence the next day he waited at the train station hoping she wouldn't show up . That's why he repeated multiple times : " don't come ". 

I just love their conversation with double meaning 

DM - We meet again, my lady.

So early, at a train station 

AS -  I went to the temple 

What must I do with you ? 

Do you not see I'm wearing the clothes of a mourner ? 

Step aside before I kill you 

DM - Wouldn't I be a bit quicker, my lady ? 

AS - Would you be ? I don't think so. Although I can do it ( aka kill you) , I don't think you can ( aka kill me).

DM -  I told you not to come and you did.  On top of that, you already know

I pondered a lot about the last line and tried to decipher it. Here is my interpretation : When AS said I can kill you but I don't think you can kill me she referred to what happened at Jemulpo, although DM got the chance he couldn't kill her. To me, she knew the reason, it is because he loves her. Then when she said I can kill you but you can't , she implied I can kill you because I don't love you but you can't because you love me.  Basically she rejected him. This is why DM said : " On top of that you already know [ that I love you ] ". 

@viktormani as well. Yes I understood the train depot convo like you said.  Thank you for analyzing it.   I felt his heart breaking with the last sentence.  

I agree. DM didn’t know 100% it was Ae Shin but because of his feelings, aimed for injury.  If he didn’t suspect Ae Shin, he would not change his target.  He did intend to find her on the ground to confirm his suspicion.  In that split second, he didn’t kill her but cannot let the culprit who shot at him escape.  I do think he did consider things relatively well and made the right decision in the heat of the moment.   Ae Shin’s complete rejection and anger are understandable. DM’s actions and feelings toward her are definitely more conflicted and painful.  However, he has just crossed the point of no return.  Curious to know how KES will continue with his story or even going to redeem the character.

@maddymappo any thought why the drama plays Greensleves, EC’s music box tunes, as Ae Shin walks in to meet EC? :)

AGB  Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18       12.330%

Source

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

@maddymappo any thought why the drama plays Greensleves, EC’s music box tunes, as Ae Shin walks in to meet EC? :) 

@bedifferentAt this point no idea.  EC is very attracted to this tune.  Could it be attached to another memory in his life we have not viewed yet? He is 40 years old.  But no hint of a past relationship.  Could it be that the song is foreshadowing thaqt she will walk away from him?  Actually the words seem more like what DM is feeling but it is EC's theme.  

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos, thanks! :)
  • Like 8

Ost No. 4 Sound

OST 4. Sound
Stars spring buoyantly to mind
Together with you they come to mind

When I am rowing again
And my two hands get wet
I keep thinking of you.

Tears drop 
I brush them away because I’ll get caught

You … Why is the pain severe
As this in my heart again?

*Start of refrain*
From far far away a sound is heard
Your breath your voice
Even in a dream your sound hurts

Among  the clouds
Along with the wind
If I walk everyday
Just in case it may appear
Your beautiful smile
*End of refrain*

Starlight falls
I recall you more

Today again while being haunted by you I pace back and forth
My heart again hurts because of longing
But then what’s wrong with missing you?
Refrain

Both anywhere you have walked
And somewhere my body has not been to
There side by side
While holding your hand
I want to walk there

That’s what I want

You You
The name I long for
Your breath your voice
Even in a dream  your sound hurts

You You
A sound which rings
If I call you every day
Just in case you will hear me
I’ll shout like this

To you.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Berou said:

I didn't understand it  that way. I think he got the strong conviction it was her but wasn't sure 100%. So instead of aiming her head or chest, he shot her leg and wanted to check later. Hence the next day he waited at the train station hoping she wouldn't show up . That's why he repeated multiple times : " don't come ". 

I just love their conversation with double meaning 

DM - We meet again, my lady.

So early, at a train station 

AS -  I went to the temple 

What must I do with you ? 

Do you not see I'm wearing the clothes of a mourner ? 

Step aside before I kill you 

DM - Wouldn't I be a bit quicker, my lady ? 

AS - Would you be ? I don't think so. Although I can do it ( aka kill you) , I don't think you can ( aka kill me).

DM -  I told you not to come and you did.  On top of that, you already know

Here's my interpretation of AS's words: "Although I can do it (aka kill you), I don't think you can (aka kill me)"

I was watching the rooftop scene closely. AS has many chances of shooting at DM. She did not. 

I believe it is because she knows him and will not shoot unnecessarily. Additional, somehow deep in her heart, she has a love-hate relationship with him.

As a noblewoman, she will have little chances with the opposite sex growing up, especially in the time of ancient Korea. DM would have been a rare time she has been alone with a boy. It has embedded deeply in her memory, her saving his life (her parents sacrificed their lives as freedom fighters) and then the hurtful words he said to her (DM is really blunt, that is his flaw and also his charm). It ended up being some kind of "childhood friend/memory" for her, I think.

So, now that she could kill him, she did not. Why? Since she had already thrown out her skirt which he touched, why couldn't she shoot at him? There is some feelings in her that cannot be described. She also knows that he loves her deeply. 

So, when she said those words to him, she means that she had many chances to kill him, but she decided not to. However when the time is needed, she can kill him because she doesn't love him romantically. But he can't kill her because he can't bring himself to. 

But when GM thinks about the encounter, I think he knows she didn't shoot at him this time, and somehow it will give him some hope. At the same time, this encounter caused him to hurt her, which he probably regrets. 

----

Do you think EC was asked to be there by someone, or did he just wait every night until she arrived at the apothecary? 

• Like 10

July 30, 2018.

Writer Kim Eun Sook  finally completed the final episode of 'Mr. Sunshine'.  Will it be a tragedy or a comedy?  (A translation)

20180730_1.jpg

To tell the truth ... there is no way to guess the correct answer. To talk about it now is way too early.  XDDD.   Although tvN’s  “Mr. Sunshine”  is not a pre-produced drama, however, because of the large capital  investment to create a huge background story, preparation was done and shooting started as early as the end of last year.  Kim Eun Sook finally completed the script of the last episode ( Episode 24 ).  Whether the ending will be happy or sad, the audience are invited to confirm this themselves by watching the broadcast. The cast and crew will no doubt worked very hard until the end.

20180730_2.jpg

*Extended reading: The reason for Kim Eun Sook’s absence from “Mr. Sunshine’s" press conference was actually... The script was not yet completed. 

After “Descendants of the Sun” and ”Goblin’s” this is the third time that writer Kim Eun Sook and Director Lee Eung Bok collaborated.  The drama depicted the period of five years before the Japanese colonial rule in Korea and Shinmiyangyo when a young boy  who went to the United States on board a US warship and returned to his motherland which abandoned him as a US soldier.  He met by chance a noblemen’s daughter and the two fell in love.

20180730_3.jpg

In episode 7,   the three male protagonists (Lee Byung Hun , Yoo Yeon Seok and Byun Yo Han) confronted each other in a tense atmosphere and discussed the topic of Miss Go Ae Shin (Kim Tae Ri )

Source:  https://www.koreastardaily.com/sc/news/107879

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

@bedifferentAt this point no idea.  EC is very attracted to this tune.  Could it be attached to another memory in his life we have not viewed yet? He is 40 years old.  But no hint of a past relationship.  Could it be that the song is foreshadowing thaqt she will walk away from him?  Actually the words seem more like what DM is feeling but it is EC's theme.  

I am not certain so maybe others can voice their opinions here.  I didn’t analyze in context of the lyrics.  The music box was something EC yearn for yet was out of reach. It was something beautiful and precious to him.  Ae Shin is the same, unattainable due to her nobility, his birthright and the current political situation.  When she walks in accompanying by the background music (this is one very rare time we get to hear BGM), it is as if the love he not dare or think will get to experience actually comes true.  She reciprocated his feelings.  Eugene was shook, arms at his side during the hug.  I love the transistion between the two scenes.

Question:  What do you think was going on in EC’s mind when he revealed the pawn note after he left the court?  He was conflicted prior and wanted to gauge the emperor’s character before making his decision. The interpreter changed his mind.

Also, now that DM know Ae Shin’s secret, what do you think DM will do?  He obviously wanted to test EC’s reactions and his involvement with the Righteous Army.  Doesn’t  seem like his loyalty is with the Japanese ministry or the Imperial Army.

• Like 8