[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

thanks @meechuttso for your insight.  DM knows that it is impossible to get AE’s love.  Like what YYS said, it is a painful love and that he knows he will never get.  I wish he could let down his pride a little bit, It is not helping him.  Who knows he will find his love with Hina .. maybe based on some of the trailers.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, meechuttso said:

I am afraid you @USAFarmgirl and @Ahpheng especially with the captions have captured the essence of what worries and saddens me the most.

Ae-Sin is definitely very immature in ways that shows her idealism and lack of experience in the world. I am afraid she's making Dong-Mae into an even more tragic character, and her last remark to him probably emasculated him in a way that will make the situation even more bloody.

As many of you know from K-dramas, there are 2 key ideas at play here: 남자의 첫사랑 (a man's first crush) and 남자의 마지막 자존심 (a man's last vestiges of self-respect, dignity).

There's a cliche saying around here, 'a man will take his first crush to his grave' (that no matter who he marries or ends up with in the end, he won't ever forget his first love). For DM, there is none other than Ae-Sin - those few moments in her carriage when she helped him escape, that moment defines his life - even more than the killing of the guy who raped his mother, even while he was returning her kindness (in the name of what is right by Confucius and her faith in that teaching) with an insult and cursing then, that brief and powerful moment of grace shown in his life by this most holy of creatures, Ae-Sin, this is what keeps Dong-Mae going, how he can still have his sense of honor as a knight may have for a lady he courts in his heart with no expectations of her favor. No doubt, in his eyes, she is all that is left of what is good in this world. He is no doubt willing to give his life for her already, as he was certainly willing to kill and justify the killing of anyone who even harbors malicious or wrong thoughts towards her.

But what Dong-Mae wants most from Ae-Sin is not so much her love requited - this is far too high above and out of reach for him, the butcher's son who had killed and clawed his way to his status working only for money knowing no country or allegiance except to the ones who will respect the power of his sword, and are willing to pay him accordingly. Like Aretha Franklin, he desperately just wants his R-E-S-P-E-C-T, and he wants it most of all from, Ae-Sin.

But she would not give it.

She called him a traitor upon their first meeting after his return, and this time, she literally emasculated him with her cutting words. I felt that that was a tragic mistake on her part - perhaps in order to get past the crisis and somehow walk without limping to the shelter of her cabin on the train she overdid it playing it tough feeling like she was cornered and had no other choice. But in doing so, Ae-Sin left no shelter for Dong-Mae and his self-respect. She stripped him of his last bit of it, the man's dignity, not knowing how much he had prayed sitting there on the train track all night for her not to be there.

Now the question remains, just how much does Dong-Mae actually love Ae-Sin?

Does he love her enough, completely unconditionally, to the extent that he is willing to love her to the death even without her acknowledgment of his affection for her? If so, he might actually spare Eugene Choi to go and live so that someone can love Ae-Sin, for that is what she needs, Lo-Bu, even if Dong-Mae himself can't supply what she needs (because she emasculated him already).

Or will he employ a scorched earth policy of killing everyone whom Ae-Sin loves, for above even Ae-Sin, he puts his self-respect and his need for acknowledgment, R-E-S-P-E-C-T foremost ?

That is what I think I will be watching for. And I think I have already begun to mourn for this Dong-Mae, truly a tragic character. If only he could have been shipped to 아메리카 (America) with or without Eugene, his fate could have been so different.... :bawling:

I think many have pointed out the differences between DM and EC. Their differences don’t lie on the matter of living in America or not but in the way they perceive life and more precisely, their nature. If EC hadn’t been so determined to become a good guy, he would still be some random gangster or spend his days making ends meet by doing lowly jobs while being tortured by racism. Besides, I feel the need to protect AS :D. I don’t think AS is immature because of what she did to DM. Frankly, she doesn’t like him and he shot her. What’s the point in being nice to a person who shot you? What do you expect her to do? When you get shot by a person you helped, you at that time will get mad as the first natural reaction no matter what reason it is; not to mention, AS doesn’t like DM at all and she doesn’t like HS, either. AS is very directive, just like EC. When she dislikes someone, she shows it all over her face and her words. Remember her first encounter with HS? This is her personality which I really love, not her immaturity. AS is already 29. You think she hasn’t seen any underprivileged person like DM? I bet she did meet a lot indeed (she is famous for her charity work) and for she’s working in the Righteous Army from which members surely are not classified as the advantaged at all. Calling her immature just basing on how she treats DM is unfair for her because she has her causes for all her doings. If DM hadn’t insulted her, hadn’t shot her, would she have  had that kind of reaction? If you’re a girl, put yourself in her shoes and you will know how it feels to be disrespected and shot by the same man you once rescued in real life. You can’t expect a girl to show friendliness towards you while all you do is make her dislike you more (DM is fully aware of his actions). I love how the writer-nim can keep her characters’ consistency up to now, both AS and DM. Every character has their own ego which is shining brightly in the story.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

LEE SU HYUN (AKMU) – SOUND (소리) MR. SUNSHINE OST PART 4

Stars are floating up
You’re floating up with them

I wave my hands around
Round and round in circles
But you keep rising

Spoiler

Tears are falling
I’m wiping them in case I get caught

Why do you hurt so much?
My heart hurts like this

Far away, I hear you
The sound of your breath, your voice
The sound of you hurts even in my dreams

Following the clouds, following the wind
If I walk every day
Will I see you?
Your beautiful smile?

The starlight is falling
I’m thinking of you even more

You come into my eyes again today, I’m pacing back and forth
My heart is aching out of longing for you
Why do I miss you so much?

Far away, I hear you

Following the clouds, following the wind
If I walk every day
Will I see you?
Your beautiful smile?

Wherever you step upon
Even if there’s no room for me
I want to stand by your side
With my hand in yours
And walk like that

That’s how I want to go

You, you
I long for your name

You, you
The sound that rings throughout
If I call you every day
Will you hear me?
My shouting heart?

To you?

Thanks to POPGASA

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I was studying hard here, since I have a pretty hard exam in some weeks, and came here to relax a bit. Then, after reading your posts, something sparkled in my mind. DM asked AS if the righteous army will give him money, and DM scene with AS was about she giving him money. I wonder, is this a hint that he may joining the righteous army, or at least helping them some way and AS pays him for that (maybe after she remembers that first question of him). I'm I crazy? hahahaha

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

July 31, 2018

[VIDEO NEWS]

Filming sites from the famous Korean drama ‘Mr. Sunshine’

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

31182549.png

1) Locations from the popular Korean drama ‘Mr. Sunshine’ are getting a lot of attention for their beauty.

2) Manhujeong, Andong: Location of the scene where Eugene (Lee Byung-hun) hides in the home of potter Hwang Eun-san (Kim Gap-soo) while being pursued by slave chasers.

3) Gyemeong Han-hak Chun, Daegu: The character Go Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri) attends an academy here to study English.

4) Nakan Town: The site where Goo Dong-mae (Yoo Yeon-seok) takes revenge against three women who insulted his parents.

5) Hwawang Sanseong: The mountain top fort where Go Ae-shin practices her shooting. 

6) Video Theme Park, Hapcheon: Go Ae-shin takes aim at a Japanese soldier here while riding a train. 

Video sourced from JoongAng Ilbo
Video produced by Kong Seong-ryong
Translated by Chung Yu-soo
Edited by Josh Doyle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

People keep saying AS hates DM but i think its more of a disappointment when you see them in scene's together her eye's show so much emotion that i dont think its hate but maybe that is just me. 

She said she could shoot DM but i dont think she could. 

I hope from this drama we get some Eugene/DM bromance and by some miracle DM survives at the end. 

• Like 10

July 31, 2018

Mr. Sunshine: Episode 8

by dramallama Dramabeans.com

sunshine-08-00148.jpg

With a big mission upon them, the Righteous Army is moving as many pieces as possible, hoping to secure the safety of their fellow comrade. Ae-shin’s secret is on the brink of discovery, but that doesn’t deter her from this mission. She continues to fight for what she believes in, forcing those around her to choose if they’ll fight with her or against her. It’s not a simple decision, choosing which side you’d risk your life for, but that’s the deal when you admire someone so earnest in her beliefs.

EPISODE 8 RECAP HERE

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 7/30/2018 at 5:36 PM, bedifferent said:

Hello there.  When Eugene heeded Kyle’s suggestion to return what belongs to Joseon back to Joseon, it was with good intention that he visited the palace.  However, when he realized that he is being asked to help facilitate the relationship between US and Joseon, Eugene felt himself being the tool of the court, similar to how the ruling class is using its people to fight its war.  Yes, it opened up old wounds of the class divide.  What I like about this drama is how it suggests that patriotism is a personal choice, not a citizen’s duty.  It essentially showing us a budding democracy.  Eugene is going through the motion, discovering for himself what his feelings are toward his birth country.  He needs to determine for himself what it is about this country or people that he identifies with.  This love for your country has to be organic and personal and true.  Patriotism differs for each person, how it is expressed is different too.  What I am seeing from the main leads are varying levels of attachments and relationships to the country they are born in.  What I am hoping is that they will all come together in their own way to fight for Joseon at the end.  

I just remember that Lee Wan Ik is a butcher’s son which makes Heena’s position in the feudal class system similar to Dong Mae’s before her marriage.  DM doesn’t know about her background until E8.  I  hope we get to hear DM’s story soon, Heena was interrupted before she could tell Eugene.  Their paths crossed in Japan.

I like a lot your point about patriotism being a personal choice. I fully agree with it.

Indeed, the problem with Eugene is that he still wants to be neutral, not to get involved in the messy politics. He wants to love AS, get revenge and probably leave as soon as possible. But the situation is so that being neutral at this moment is impossible. What made me think about this was Lee Byung Hun's way of delivering a line: in Eugene's discussion with Kyle when they drink tea, there is a line that I thought LBH should have said it as a joke: he asks Kyle what the first line of his poem is, whether it is what Kyle said about the Philippines. LBH delivers the question as if Eugene is slightly irritated with Kyle's point. Noticing the irritation, Kyle tells him to not become a dangerous man. I was wondering why Eugene would be irritated with a piece of advice that he requested. Then I realized that Eugene was unhappy with the advice: he wanted Kyle to take the pawn certificate and set Eugene free of the burden of thinking what to do with it. But Kyle returned the document to him and advised him to return it to its rightful owner. For Eugene, this means prolonging his association with the people Eugene wants to avoid. (afterwards, following upon Kyle's advice, he visits the emperor's minister and at the end of their conversation, he explains to him that coming there was an act of courage--contrast with the moment when he pawns the document and says that the little boy is again scared.)

For me, the interesting part now is how Eugene would get involved in the fight. I'm wondering whether AS would be the one to drag him in, for ideologically there is a big divide between them: he was a slave, she is an aristocrat. (AS might be open-minded, but Eugene might still think that their life experiences are vastly different and she is idealistic.) It is telling that at the end of episode 8, he does not embrace her: while AS is all in, he is not yet all in. It is not that he does not love her: the moment Eugene shows the strongest resoluteness yet is the moment he picks the gun from her and shoots himself to cover for her. It is that he is not fully behind her fight: all the time he helped other people, he did it reluctantly. (this is why Eugene's help remains a puzzle for the Gunner--although now the gunner understands Eugene's motivation: he is just in love in AS, no ulterior motives.)

At the moment, I do not see Kyle being the mentor who can get Eugene politically involved. (Kyle does not want to get involved: he wants his deployment in Joseon to be like a picnic). I have no idea who will be the new mentor, but for me, this is is the moment I looking forward to it. I'm very curious how the writer will pull it off.

On the last point you made, about Lee Wan Ik (this is the traitor, isn't it?): is it clear that he is the son of a butcher?

Thank you for your thought-provoking comments. I am very curious what you (and of course other people on the forum) think about Eugene not embracing AS at the end of episode 8. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Ahpheng said:
I hope you can see it now @rubie , thank you. 

Problem solved! ^_^ But Eugene still struggling along. 

He needs a personal tutor. If Ae Shin can't, Do Mi can! :lol:

mrsun07_10.gif

mrsun07_11.gif

Not in the script: FAN service :P

Spoiler

mrsun07_12.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

8 hours ago, Wotad said:

People keep saying AS hates DM but i think its more of a disappointment when you see them in scene's together her eye's show so much emotion that i dont its hate but maybe that is just me. 

She said she could shoot DM but i dont think she could. 

I hope from this drama we get some Eugene/DM bromance and by some miracle DM survives at the end. 

Me too.. I don't think she could shoot DM. Remember how Confucius spoke about "All Lives being precious" affected her.

Especially lives that was saved by her. She feel responsible towards them until the end.  Look at her stubbornness to join that geisha smuggle plan.

• Like 9