My corner of Soompi

Lmangla

@celebrianna rosemary and thyme is really good tv series.  

inspector Barnaby. Of I so miss him. maybe I should rewatch the older episodes. 

@Lmangla  i was laughing one day when I was watching a this fanmade video in youtube of finnish movie called unknown soldier.  some of the comments where so hilarious. in the comments had more drama that the video clip. :joy:

• Like 1
  • Love 5

4 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

what! Grey’s Anatomy is still on tv? I had no idea. That was so much like a soap opera to me so I didn’t really like it. I suppose if Meredith is still in it she already had three husbands?

15+ years and still running. Fortunately she still married One Husband Mc Dreamy who is now Dead, then dated multiple people and now she is in a supposed Love triangle that she seldom gives 2 hoots about.

Half the fanbase wants her to have a love angle, Half is happy without it(myself included), and Rest want her to finally get Alzheimer and End this Opera.

• LOL 6

20 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

* Do you like Brahms?  Which recommended if you can deal with

B - back to back solo performances 

R- relationship problem

A- angst

H- happy dimples couple 

M-music & more music 

S- split personality characters 

B - back to back solo performances

R - relation problem

A - abs, none of them

H -happy dimples couple

M - music & more music

S -split personality characters

Fixed it ! :joy:

20 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

* Do Do sol sol la la sol ,  that got a great talent oppa  , which someone playing instrument which I like to think is this important  kind of music  :tongue:

This is the shirtless scene I was talking about. No abs to brag about, but he's still young - he has time to work out and get fabulous abs for Noona partyon to enjoy. :dorakiss: I will be patiently waiting!

• LOL 7

4 minutes ago, joccu said:

@Lmangla  i was laughing one day when I was watching a this fanmade video in youtube of finnish movie called unknown soldier.  some of the comments where so hilarious. in the comments had more drama that the video clip. 

yea, comments on youtube can be really entertaining like this one.... "He takes 20 steps forward and 30 steps back. I'm going to choke him myself" I started laughing while reading that -- welcome to the world of daily drama where we want to pull our hair out or slap the characters but still we keep watching! :joy:

• LOL 6

21 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@Sleepy Owl I laughed at your friend. I do watch Japanese anime shows since a long time ago even up to now since I also still read their manga like Skip Beat, Akagame Shirayuki-hime and a few others. I understand how he feels. :w00t: Now for the first time in my life I started reading a Japanese novel called Holmes of Kyoto. 

@Sleepy Owl, I confess GoT is too much for me. I have never watched a single episode but I heard it had in rape and incest and those subjects are pretty disturbing for me. 

Well my friend had a complete 180 degree turn from TV series to anime. He literally formatted his 2 TB hard disk which was full in capacity with TV Series and started storing anime which he watched and also which he would watch in the future. Now he has zero TV series in his HD and countless anime. 

I have also watched some selected few anime and read their manga when I could not wait for their next season. :joy: I like anime for this, you never need to wait for the next season, there is always Manga or light novel to read. As for Japanese novels, I did read a few written by Murakami 

Coming to GOT, I actually watched its last 2 seasons. Yes it may sound funny and weird, but I had read about it since it aired, didn't watch it, but read about the important events happening in order to not stay alone between my GOT watching friends. Since I had not watched it, I didn't know the pain of seeing those characters die and events happening, so I would take a lot pleasure in spoiling people. I would ask "Oh so you are GOT, which season are you on?" and after which season that person is on, I would start spoiling how important characters would die :joy:.

Yes, I accept  I was not so good guy doing it, but I always loved seeing their expression on getting the spoilers. Watched the last 2 seasons because they were hyped quite a lot about the war happening. Now I think since I was so mad  with the series ending, I wonder how bad those people would have felt who actually watched all 8 seasons and waited for 8 years just to see that ending happening.  

Although I would never recommend that drama and also The Witcher to anyone. Both the series have some really graphic and gory scenes, and really some strong sexual content including rape, incest. 

• Love 3
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

I also love Hercule Poirot and Ms. Marple tv series. I love the “Cozy” mystery genre. 

Me too, although didn't get the chance to watch them, I read many, I like Miss Marple's "Murder at the Vicarage", and Poirot and Mrs Oliver novels. Mrs Oliver is so funny, she keeps changing her hair style and dye all the time :lol:. I read: five little pigs, Mrs McGinty is dead, third girl, and Cards on the table, they all include Poirot and Oliver.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

One more thing which I really don't like about English Tv Series is that some of them just suddenly end because if the series being cancelled. By that I mean we don't get to see the next season happening due to many reasons and the story is left incomplete with the viewers totally confused how to feel about it.

Agreed - I finally gave up after they canceled the series Counterpart  w/ J.K. Simmons, after its second season.  That coupled with the disastrous 8th/final season of GoT  , that was about the end of it for me. 

At least in the kdramaverse, when they cut something short they give you fair warning ... when you're paying attention that is. ( I watched A Piece Of Your Mind without realizing it was cut short ... that 12th episode really snuck up on me ) :lol:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

Agreed - I finally gave up after they canceled the series Counterpart  w/ J.K. Simmons, after its second season.  That coupled with the disastrous 8th/final season of GoT  , that was about the end of it for me. 

At least in the kdramaverse, when they cut something short they give you fair warning ... when you're paying attention that is. ( I watched A Piece Of Your Mind without realizing it was cut short ... that 12th episode really snuck up on me ) :lol:

Well Kdrama cutting short of episode is nothing in front of Series being cancelled in my opinion. Atleast in the case of drama, you will still get the ending, which maybe good or not. But for series, they sometimes just cancel it after a couple of seasons, with the story not even concluded. I think this one is more frustrating, because not only spent your time for something which will not get a closure, you also waited each year for the seasons to come. 

Honestly, I am very impatient person when it comes to seasons. That's why I said, I watch anime and then start the manga from the chapter anime ended on, but for TV series, it is not really possible. That's why I really love Kdramas. The story gets concluded in 16-24 episodes (since I don't go for the long ones, until or unless it is Sageuk). Then you simply can move on to the drama following it or other dramas airing.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@celebrianna @madmad min @Sleepy Owl & for other anime / manga lovers -- we do have a small thread in the hangout sections where you can discuss. just as an FYI if folks are not aware... :)

@Lmangla, oh, thanks for sharing. I didn’t know there was an anime/manga thread on here. I just normally chat on manga channels on Discord and Myanimelist website. 

2 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Me too, although didn't get the chance to watch them, I read many, I like Miss Marple's "Murder at the Vicarage", and Poirot and Mrs Oliver novels. Mrs Oliver is so funny, she keeps changing her hair style and dye all the time :lol:. I read: five little pigs, Mrs McGinty is dead, third girl, and Cards on the table, they all include Poirot and Oliver.

I have all the Ms Marple and Hercule Poirot books on my kindle so I have mostly read all of them. I kind of hated “And Then There Were None” so I will probably never re-read it. Ms. Oliver is such a bombastic companion to Hercule Poirot so I always find them amusing. I like Ms. Marple because she’s an old lady who nobody would suspect is dangerous in figuring them out. Also, I like her constant observation of human nature and the way nobody is above suspicion for her.

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Honestly, I am very impatient person when it comes to seasons. That's why I said, I watch anime and then start the manga from the chapter anime ended on, but for TV series, it is not really possible. That's why I really love Kdramas. The story gets concluded in 16-24 episodes (since I don't go for the long ones, until or unless it is Sageuk). Then you simply can move on to the drama following it or other dramas airing.

@Sleepy Owl:lol: So that’s how you do it? I’m a stickler for details so I have to read the manga from the beginning even if I watched the anime first. There are details that anime shows normally leave out that I want to know. Sometimes the anime even change some things that make a difference when reading the manga. Granted, most anime I watch I don’t follow up with the manga especially shounen. I like One Punch Man season 1 and the only thing I want to know is if headquarters know how powerful Saitama is. No need to read the manga though. :w00t:

I absolutely do not watch US tv unless it’s Phineas and Ferb, Alvinn and the Chipmunks and Big City Greens cartoons. :lol:Some Hallmark movies I would watch once in a blue moon. Korean drama and some ancient/historical Chinese drama shows dominate my tv viewing.

I remember there was once a thread on Viki forums where people spoke about how shocked they felt when they went back to watching Western tv shows. Some of the posts said they blushed when they saw how explicit the kiss scenes were. I understood how they felt. And that’s only the tip of the iceberg.

• Love 3
  • Awesome 1

26 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@Sleepy Owl:lol: So that’s how you do it? I’m a stickler for details so I have to read the manga from the beginning even if I watched the anime first. There are details that anime shows normally leave out that I want to know. Sometimes the anime even change some things that make a difference when reading the manga. Granted, most anime I watch I don’t follow up with the manga especially shounen. I like One Punch Man season 1 and the only thing I want to know is if headquarters know how powerful Saitama is. No need to read the manga though. :w00t:

I absolutely do not watch US tv unless it’s Phineas and Ferb, Alvinn and the Chipmunks and Big City Greens cartoons. :lol:Some Hallmark movies I would watch once in a blue moon. Korean drama and some ancient/historical Chinese drama shows dominate my tv viewing.

I remember there was once a thread on Viki forums where people spoke about how shocked they felt when they went back to watching Western tv shows. Some of the posts said they blushed when they saw how explicit the kiss scenes were. I understood how they felt. And that’s only the tip of the iceberg.

You are right about the details. Most of the anime lack the details included in manga. One in which I really felt it was "Tower of God". I liked the anime initially, but when I started reading the manhwa, I realized the fit 80 chapters into 13 episodes, which is crazy. I was reading about things which should have been explained in the past chapters but I was not understanding, so I read the manhwa from start. 

Then we also have anime like "Demon Slayer", which do more than justice to the manga. The art of its manga is not really that good while the anime's animation, art was great. I finished its first season earlier this year and then finished its manga in two days. 

I usually only watch Kdramas. Have not tried dramas of China or Japan and these days I am not really watching anything from US tv or any English Series. 

About the explicitly in Western tv shows is on another level when compared with Kdramas. I don't even think we can compare it. I remember watching "13 Reasons Why" first season in return of my friend watching "Healer", and I really was shocked how explicit that series was. Didn't watch the other seasons of it. Got to say it was better deal on his part. Like you see, even the 19+ rated Kdramas don't really have comparable explicit scenes. 

Anyway, the best thing about Kdramas is, I never really need to worry about my parents entering my room at the wrong time. There is literally nothing to hide in these dramas. Although, Korean movies are a different story, I got to admit.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

I have all the Ms Marple and Hercule Poirot books on my kindle so I have mostly read all of them. I kind of hated “And Then There Were None” so I will probably never re-read it. Ms. Oliver is such a bombastic companion to Hercule Poirot so I always find them amusing. I like Ms. Marple because she’s an old lady who nobody would suspect is dangerous in figuring them out. Also, I like her constant observation of human nature and the way nobody is above suspicion for her.

Yes, me too, I found the complete stories in mobi format. But I was a classic reader, so I used to read them in paperback. I remember Mysterious Affair at Styles, Murder in the Links, Roger Ackroyd, Murder is Easy, A pocket full of Rye, ABC murders, Dumb Witness and the ones I mentioned above. Those I read in English. 

I read others but translated. Among those I remember Peril at End House, Sad Cypress, Murder in the Clouds, An appointment with death, Parker Pyne Investigates, Murder at the Orient Express, Towards Zero, Lord Edgware dies, The man in the Brown suit, The body in the Library, At Bertram's Hotel, Pale Horse, I think there are more, but those are the ones I remember. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

You are right about the details. Most of the anime lack the details included in manga. One in which I really felt it was "Tower of God". I liked the anime initially, but when I started reading the manhwa, I realized the fit 80 chapters into 13 episodes, which is crazy. I was reading about things which should have been explained in the past chapters but I was not understanding, so I read the manhwa from start. 

Then we also have anime like "Demon Slayer", which do more than justice to the manga. The art of its manga is not really that good while the anime's animation, art was great. I finished its first season earlier this year and then finished its manga in two days. 

I usually only watch Kdramas. Have not tried dramas of China or Japan and these days I am not really watching anything from US tv or any English Series. 

About the explicitly in Western tv shows is on another level when compared with Kdramas. I don't even think we can compare it. I remember watching "13 Reasons Why" first season in return of my friend watching "Healer", and I really was shocked how explicit that series was. Didn't watch the other seasons of it. Got to say it was better deal on his part. Like you see, even the 19+ rated Kdramas don't really have comparable explicit scenes. 

Anyway, the best thing about Kdramas is, I never really need to worry about my parents entering my room at the wrong time. There is literally nothing to hide in these dramas. Although, Korean movies are a different story, I got to admit.

@Sleepy Owl, when you talk about your parents walking in, it reminded me of a time I was watching a British cozy murder mystery with my mother and then a scene showed up with two people against the wall in the house getting it on. I was never more embarrassed. This is why I kicked these shows to the curb. It was totally unnecessary in that show. 

I actually liked Demon Slayer especially the bond between Nezuko and her big brother. However, I can tell that the source drawing must not be very attractive because the characters don’t look that good compared to other manga artists’ style. The characters in anime are usually drawn to mirror the original artist’s style. I’m not shallow so I don’t mind that much but I was surprised to see the character designs in Demon Slayer. I initially thought it was an old manga from the style of the characters. Of course the main antagonist demon that everybody is afraid of looks better looking than most. That’s a common thing in Japanese anime/manga - good looking villains. 

I always see that Tower of God anime in the list of shows on my streaming channel but never thought about watching it. Hmm. Maybe I should watch an episode to see if I like it. They’re only about 20 - 25 minutes long anyway. Anime can indeed seriously cut down on certain details because it really only serves as an advertisement for the manga or manhwa. Only series like Naruto, One Piece, Black Clover, Bleach, D-Gray Man, Fairy Tail and other shows like them are more than an advertisement. 

I like Chinese historical drama shows like Nirvana in Fire, Legend of Fuyao, Story of Ming Lan, Under the Power, Ancient Detective, etc. I like adventure (like Lord of the Rings) and I feel like Chinese historical shows depict stories where martial arts, emperors, corrupt officials, heroes, heroines, conspiracies, rogues, warriors, etc reside. They’re full of adventure. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@Sleepy Owl, when you talk about your parents walking in, it reminded me of a time I was watching a British cozy murder mystery with my mother and then a scene showed up with two people against the wall in the house getting it on. I was never more embarrassed. This is why I kicked these shows to the curb. It was totally unnecessary in that show. 

I actually liked Demon Slayer especially the bond between Nezuko and her big brother. However, I can tell that the source drawing must not be very attractive because the characters don’t look that good compared to other manga artists’ style. The characters in anime are usually drawn to mirror the original artist’s style. I’m not shallow so I don’t mind that much but I was surprised to see the character designs in Demon Slayer. I initially thought it was an old manga from the style of the characters. Of course the main antagonist demon that everybody is afraid of looks better looking than most. That’s a common thing in Japanese anime/manga - good looking villains. 

I always see that Tower of God anime in the list of shows on my streaming channel but never thought about watching it. Hmm. Maybe I should watch an episode to see if I like it. They’re only about 20 - 25 minutes long anyway. Anime can indeed seriously cut down on certain details because it really only serves as an advertisement for the manga or manhwa. Only series like Naruto, One Piece, Black Clover, Bleach, D-Gray Man, Fairy Tail and other shows like them are more than an advertisement. 

I like Chinese historical drama shows like Nirvana in Fire, Legend of Fuyao, Story of Ming Lan, Under the Power, Ancient Detective, etc. I like adventure (like Lord of the Rings) and I feel like Chinese historical shows depict stories where martial arts, emperors, corrupt officials, heroes, heroines, conspiracies, rogues, warriors, etc reside. They’re full of adventure. 

I am lucky that I have not really experienced the "parents walking in" leading to some embarrassment happen. But yeah, I never want it to happen too :joy:

Demon Slayer, I actually found its art style interesting and liked it. But yes, the characters are not that attractive when you compare them with other anime, but when I read the Manga, the art style was worse. Since I wanted to know what's gonna happen, I went with it, I would not really mind that art style much as long as story is good. But my friend dropped it, he said he could not look at it. But the whole brother-sister bond shown is really great and believe me, there will be more emotional scenes coming and they will be much more emotional compared to the episode 19 which made a buzz and was trending topic on twitter.

Tower of God's Manhwa is really good. I really wonder whether the Korean Manhwa authors and their team work much harder than their Japanese counter parts. I read Attack on Titan manga which is published on monthly basis and its chapters are usually 45-50 pages long. I read some weekly manga too like Demon Slayer and Tokyo Ghoul, and they would be 15-20 pages long, usually 15 pages only. But I read 2 Manhwas till now, Tower of God and Solo Leveling, and although the later one is put on hold, I caught up with the former and its chapters were almost as long as Attack on Titan's chapters and sometimes even longer than it. Not to forget the fact that they even have to color while manga come out in black and white. The author of Tower of God developed some wrist problem and he went into hiatus since July 2020 and now a couple of days it was reported that he expected to return Mid-November. But, it's anime was not bad, its just that they really left out a lot of details, which made it a hard time for me to understand certain things in the Manhwa. So I read it from the first chapter again.

I have not watched the big 3 anime yet Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. I can't really watch that long anime, not with so many Kdramas to watch. I usually binge watch the anime with the thought to finish the season in one day if it has got 25 episodes or some days if it is a bit longer, but I can't really do it with them. One Piece is definitely beyond me, so I will not really even think of touching it, even though I have heard that it is really a good piece of work.  

I have not watched any C-dramas, but have heard some really good comments on Chinese Period Dramas. I might decide to go any one of them, but it won't be happening anytime soon. Although I have really been craving for a good Sageuk to come. Let's see whether it will happen next year or not. I like the palace politics and conspiracies happening, expect the fights to not be exaggerated, and of course the setting and clothes play a big part. Since I know a thing or two about Korean History as I have read a lot about it, I really expect the dramas to give importance to some small details, at least regarding the era they are showing. I remember watching Empress Ki in the re-watch event, and see this Yuan General wearing a headband with Gogoryeo emblem on it, and I was disappointed. Gogoryeo existed like 400 years before the events of Empress Ki, I would try to understand if a Goryeo guy would wear it, but Yuan Army General wearing it, I didn't really like it and I do give importance to these small details, even though they don't really affect the story. 

Glad to see you like Lord of The Rings too. Have you tried watching all three movies(the extended versions)  in one go? I did it with my friends during my college time, and it was really a memorable experience.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

10 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I am lucky that I have not really experienced the "parents walking in" leading to some embarrassment happen. But yeah, I never want it to happen too :joy:

Demon Slayer, I actually found its art style interesting and liked it. But yes, the characters are not that attractive when you compare them with other anime, but when I read the Manga, the art style was worse. Since I wanted to know what's gonna happen, I went with it, I would not really mind that art style much as long as story is good. But my friend dropped it, he said he could not look at it. But the whole brother-sister bond shown is really great and believe me, there will be more emotional scenes coming and they will be much more emotional compared to the episode 19 which made a buzz and was trending topic on twitter.

Tower of God's Manhwa is really good. I really wonder whether the Korean Manhwa authors and their team work much harder than their Japanese counter parts. I read Attack on Titan manga which is published on monthly basis and its chapters are usually 45-50 pages long. I read some weekly manga too like Demon Slayer and Tokyo Ghoul, and they would be 15-20 pages long, usually 15 pages only. But I read 2 Manhwas till now, Tower of God and Solo Leveling, and although the later one is put on hold, I caught up with the former and its chapters were almost as long as Attack on Titan's chapters and sometimes even longer than it. Not to forget the fact that they even have to color while manga come out in black and white. The author of Tower of God developed some wrist problem and he went into hiatus since July 2020 and now a couple of days it was reported that he expected to return Mid-November. But, it's anime was not bad, its just that they really left out a lot of details, which made it a hard time for me to understand certain things in the Manhwa. So I read it from the first chapter again.

I have not watched the big 3 anime yet Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. I can't really watch that long anime, not with so many Kdramas to watch. I usually binge watch the anime with the thought to finish the season in one day if it has got 25 episodes or some days if it is a bit longer, but I can't really do it with them. One Piece is definitely beyond me, so I will not really even think of touching it, even though I have heard that it is really a good piece of work.  

I have not watched any C-dramas, but have heard some really good comments on Chinese Period Dramas. I might decide to go any one of them, but it won't be happening anytime soon. Although I have really been craving for a good Sageuk to come. Let's see whether it will happen next year or not. I like the palace politics and conspiracies happening, expect the fights to not be exaggerated, and of course the setting and clothes play a big part. Since I know a thing or two about Korean History as I have read a lot about it, I really expect the dramas to give importance to some small details, at least regarding the era they are showing. I remember watching Empress Ki in the re-watch event, and see this Yuan General wearing a headband with Gogoryeo emblem on it, and I was disappointed. Gogoryeo existed like 400 years before the events of Empress Ki, I would try to understand if a Goryeo guy would wear it, but Yuan Army General wearing it, I didn't really like it and I do give importance to these small details, even though they don't really affect the story. 

Glad to see you like Lord of The Rings too. Have you tried watching all three movies(the extended versions)  in one go? I did it with my friends during my college time, and it was really a memorable experience.

It’s so funny that I went into my Crunchyroll tv app today and the home screen has Tower of God on it with “Start Watching” button highlighted. Heh. I’m not sure who works harder between the Korean manhwa and Japan manga artists but I know over the years several mangaka have gotten sick, developed chronic wrist issues, and some have even died leaving their work unfinished. This is why I limit my reading of long series. Of the big three, I only read and watched some of Naruto. Actually, I have all 70+ volumes of the Naruto manga because it’s one of the first anime I watched and then I wanted to read the canon material. It’s not perfect but it’s a good growing up manga and I liked the diverse characters. It also has a message for kids that people who are considered failures can work hard to achieve their goals. Maybe that’s why it’s so popular in the US. I think people here like to root for underdogs. 

Regarding Demon Slayer, I will have to wait for Season 2 if they make one. I think after watching the anime I had looked for the manga but I think I couldn’t find it because it’s licensed and they’re cracking down on scanlation websites. Spoilers are always available on the manga section of Myanimelist forum though. I tried to watch One Piece maybe three times but didn’t get far. Maybe it’s because it’s about pirates. Bleach, I tried to watch twice but I didn’t get far. :lol: I guess it really depends on what pulls me in right away because D-Grayman and Fairy Tail pulled me in right away as a comparison. 

I think my first Korean sageuk was The Princess’ Man starring Moon Chae Won, Park Si Hoo and the actor who played the father in the drama shows My Father Is Strange as well as Nice Guy. I was honestly surprised by the level of cruelty in that drama including the slaughter of whole families. To me saguek are always tragic and the people who do cruel things often win so I’m not too fond of them because justice is a huge deal for me. Nevertheless, I would still watch them. Like in The Princess Man, the father basically did a coup and it is said he was the most cruel king in Korean history but he did a lot of good for the country. The actor was really good. He did a lot of cruel things but in private life with his family, I had to admit that he loved his family especially his favorite daughter played by Moon Chae Won. His tension/conflict with his daughter really brought out excellent acting between the two. Maybe that’s why they both got cast as father and daughter again in Nice Guy afterwards. 

My first palace drama for a Chinese show was Nirvana in Fire. I think it’s a show that guys would like. The protagonist is a brilliant strategist. This show has won many awards and is highly recognized even internationally. The story is about a plot that killed an entire prestigious army. The protagonist is the survivor who is the son of the army general. He’s royalty too. However, he was severely injured and everybody thought he was dead. I think it was 10 or 12 years later a mysterious personage appears. He’s the mysterious leader of the lawless martial arts world. He comes to the capital where the emperor’s sons are vying to be next in line for the throne and they want to get this mysterious leader on their side. This begins the story of an intricate plot of political intrigue and the unearthing of the truth of what happened a decade ago with the Blaze army. The villains in this show were one of the best caliber I have seen. I couldn’t stand them but I can’t deny they were magnetic actors. They also were dangerous people in their own right. The emperor also seemed docile but could bear his fangs in a split second. I think he impressed me the most because he wasn’t someone who is outright a villain but yet he’s kind of a villain. The actor played him well. To this day I still don’t think there’s a Chinese drama that has surpassed this one. Not even the one they call The Untamed. 

Regarding Lord of the Rings, I have the extended versions. I was a LoTR nut. I watched the last movie 10 times in the theater. :lol: I enjoyed that period of time because I made many friends in Europe through LoTR whom I still keep in touch with even today via Viber. We were all nuts together. 

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

lord of the rings. I remember my brothers were really huge loTR fans. And I was not really a fan. anyways my parents had bought 3 tickets to the 3 film. it was premiere and it was my younger brother´s birthday that month.  well week before the premiere my parents figured they had to be somewhere else on the day off the premiere. So I had to take them to the premiere and to watch with the movie with my brothers. So before the premiere i watched the first 2 movie. I could not see the 3 movie before seeing the other two´s.  they were good and I´m still not as big fan as my brothers are.

I never really got the hype that  loTR and harry potter movies got.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:14 PM, celebrianna said:

I don’t think the ending of any Glass Mask adaptation will be satisfying. Why? It’s because it’s based on a Japanese manga that began in 1976 and hasn’t been finished up to today even though the mangaka is still alive.

I was referring to the 2013 daily with Seo Woo- whaaaat? How are you gonna write a manga and then just- not finish it?

On 10/20/2020 at 11:58 PM, Lmangla said:

some of these older daily dramas sound like fun but it is so hard to find subs for them that I gave up. if you ever find any, just alert. we are usually on some thread anyways. :)

I wish some topics could be unarchived so that people who find older daily dramas can watch and write their own thoughts in posts.

Btw, I am also watching in Man in a Veil. I love the ML, he's a great actor. This is also one of the few dramas where I actually want the SML to end up with the FL. Yu-Ra is brilliantly evil, so is Lady Joo.

On 10/21/2020 at 2:17 AM, maribella said:

I would like to see her do more butt-kicking like in The Promise.

Her character in The Promise was awesome! It was nice to see a villainous female lead. And her character in Ice Adonis was pretty cool too.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, Secretz said:

My Dangerous Wife. This show is a remake of a J-drama which I fell in love with it instantly after watching the first episode. Really satisfying to watch the FL crushing her husband!

I might watch this...

I'm also taking peeks at Flower of the Queen and Eve's Love. The latter drama is kinda boring, honestly.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, celebrianna said:

It’s so funny that I went into my Crunchyroll tv app today and the home screen has Tower of God on it with “Start Watching” button highlighted. Heh. I’m not sure who works harder between the Korean manhwa and Japan manga artists but I know over the years several mangaka have gotten sick, developed chronic wrist issues, and some have even died leaving their work unfinished. This is why I limit my reading of long series. Of the big three, I only read and watched some of Naruto. Actually, I have all 70+ volumes of the Naruto manga because it’s one of the first anime I watched and then I wanted to read the canon material. It’s not perfect but it’s a good growing up manga and I liked the diverse characters. It also has a message for kids that people who are considered failures can work hard to achieve their goals. Maybe that’s why it’s so popular in the US. I think people here like to root for underdogs. 

Regarding Demon Slayer, I will have to wait for Season 2 if they make one. I think after watching the anime I had looked for the manga but I think I couldn’t find it because it’s licensed and they’re cracking down on scanlation websites. Spoilers are always available on the manga section of Myanimelist forum though. I tried to watch One Piece maybe three times but didn’t get far. Maybe it’s because it’s about pirates. Bleach, I tried to watch twice but I didn’t get far. :lol: I guess it really depends on what pulls me in right away because D-Grayman and Fairy Tail pulled me in right away as a comparison. 

I think my first Korean sageuk was The Princess’ Man starring Moon Chae Won, Park Si Hoo and the actor who played the father in the drama shows My Father Is Strange as well as Nice Guy. I was honestly surprised by the level of cruelty in that drama including the slaughter of whole families. To me saguek are always tragic and the people who do cruel things often win so I’m not too fond of them because justice is a huge deal for me. Nevertheless, I would still watch them. Like in The Princess Man, the father basically did a coup and it is said he was the most cruel king in Korean history but he did a lot of good for the country. The actor was really good. He did a lot of cruel things but in private life with his family, I had to admit that he loved his family especially his favorite daughter played by Moon Chae Won. His tension/conflict with his daughter really brought out excellent acting between the two. Maybe that’s why they both got cast as father and daughter again in Nice Guy afterwards. 

My first palace drama for a Chinese show was Nirvana in Fire. I think it’s a show that guys would like. The protagonist is a brilliant strategist. This show has won many awards and is highly recognized even internationally. The story is about a plot that killed an entire prestigious army. The protagonist is the survivor who is the son of the army general. He’s royalty too. However, he was severely injured and everybody thought he was dead. I think it was 10 or 12 years later a mysterious personage appears. He’s the mysterious leader of the lawless martial arts world. He comes to the capital where the emperor’s sons are vying to be next in line for the throne and they want to get this mysterious leader on their side. This begins the story of an intricate plot of political intrigue and the unearthing of the truth of what happened a decade ago with the Blaze army. The villains in this show were one of the best caliber I have seen. I couldn’t stand them but I can’t deny they were magnetic actors. They also were dangerous people in their own right. The emperor also seemed docile but could bear his fangs in a split second. I think he impressed me the most because he wasn’t someone who is outright a villain but yet he’s kind of a villain. The actor played him well. To this day I still don’t think there’s a Chinese drama that has surpassed this one. Not even the one they call The Untamed. 

Regarding Lord of the Rings, I have the extended versions. I was a LoTR nut. I watched the last movie 10 times in the theater. :lol: I enjoyed that period of time because I made many friends in Europe through LoTR whom I still keep in touch with even today via Viber. We were all nuts together. 

As for Demon Slayer, I think it was officially announced that the second season is in production. Season 1 was so famous, that it actually increased the manga sales, making its 2019 sales more than that of One Piece, which for certain manga is really a big achievement. And I got to admit, this anime had one of the best animation and CGI I have ever seen in any anime, the studios really kept the budget infinite, especially for that episode 19 which became a trending topic. The arcs in Season 2 will be much more better, the basic story will be same, there is a demon go hunt it, but the demons will be stronger, action will be more intense and brutal. So do look forward to the second season also to the movie whenever it gets released in your country. 

Talking about Sageuks, my first ever Korean Drama was Dae Jang Geum, one of the most famous Sageuks out there. Then I watched Emperor of The Sea and Jumong. Although I watched Dae Jang Geum as a kid, for me it still is a memorable drama. I have overall liked the in palace conspiracies done by ladies of palace in Sageuks, mostly based on Joseon Era. Plus some Sageuks like Six Flying Dragons and My Country: The New Age have some really good fight scenes. But some are really boring. I have heard a lot about "Princess' Man", but I am yet to watch it. Since many people on this forum have praised it, it is in my watchlist. 

I have heard a lot about "Nirvana in Fire", and if I ever go for Chinese period dramas, I think this would be the first one I would watch. 

Lord of the Rings, is simply amazing. I am yet to watch that movie in theatre, but I do own its extended versions, and usually watch them once in 3-4 months. I also made many friends because of it when I went to University. I remember having internet problem and going to meet a guy in hostel who had a big movie collection. I asked him about the movie and he said "Listen dude, I have the extended version", and I was like "I wouldn't take it if they were not extended versions" and then instead of giving it to me, he offered to watch them together, we watched it with my 2 other friends joining too :wow1:.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Talking about Sageuks, my first ever Korean Drama was Dae Jang Geum, one of the most famous Sageuks out there. Then I watched Emperor of The Sea and Jumong. Although I watched Dae Jang Geum as a kid, for me it still is a memorable drama. I have overall liked the in palace conspiracies done by ladies of palace in Sageuks, mostly based on Joseon Era. Plus some Sageuks like Six Flying Dragons and My Country: The New Age have some really good fight scenes. But some are really boring. I have heard a lot about "Princess' Man", but I am yet to watch it. Since many people on this forum have praised it, it is in my watchlist. 

I have heard a lot about "Nirvana in Fire", and if I ever go for Chinese period dramas, I think this would be the first one I would watch. 

Lord of the Rings, is simply amazing. I am yet to watch that movie in theatre, but I do own its extended versions, and usually watch them once in 3-4 months. I also made many friends because of it when I went to University. I remember having internet problem and going to meet a guy in hostel who had a big movie collection. I asked him about the movie and he said "Listen dude, I have the extended version", and I was like "I wouldn't take it if they were not extended versions" and then instead of giving it to me, he offered to watch them together, we watched it with my 2 other friends joining too 

@Sleepy OwlI enjoyed Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi sageuk shows. I tried Jumong and Six Flying Dragons but quit. How is Six Flying Dragons? I mainly felt inspired to try it after I watched Chicago Typewriter with Yoo Ah In. I wanted to see more of his acting. 

Oh, you’re making me want to rewatch it soon. Sometimes when I remember Galadriel’s prologue, that alone inspires me to rewatch. Actually, my user name is based on Celebrian who is the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn and the wife of half-elf Elrond and mother of Elrohir, Elladan and Arwen. Heh. She lived in Valinor at the time of the War of the Ring.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@Sleepy OwlI enjoyed Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi sageuk shows. I tried Jumong and Six Flying Dragons but quit. How is Six Flying Dragons? I mainly felt inspired to try it after I watched Chicago Typewriter with Yoo Ah In. I wanted to see more of his acting. 

Oh, you’re making me want to rewatch it soon. Sometimes when I remember Galadriel’s prologue, that alone inspires me to rewatch. Actually, my user name is based on Celebrian who is the daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn and the wife of half-elf Elrond and mother of Elrohir, Elladan and Arwen. Heh. She lived in Valinor at the time of the War of the Ring.

Six Flying Dragons was good actually. Yoo Ah in did a really good job portraying Yi Bang Won. If you have watched "Tree With Deep Roots", this is its prequel, with same director and writer and also they have used many of characters of that drama here, showing their younger. Of course since 3 among the Six Flying Dragons were fictional characters, there was some fictional element involved in it, but over all I liked that drama. They sort of properly showed how actually Jeong Do Jeon was involved in establishing Joseon, his conflict with Yi Bang Won was also correctly shown and the fight scenes, though exaggerated (meaning having the element of Kung Fu, like flying or jumping longer distance) was really good. 

Jumong, well was long, Very long and was draggy initially. But I liked how well and slowly they developed Jumong's character who initially was shown to be sort of a fool and knowing nothing about self defense, being bullied around by his elder step brothers who also wanted him dead. But I do understand that it was long, and took a bit time in the main plot starting. Overall I think they did a good job showing how he established Gogoryeo. 

Dong Yi was also a good watch. These are mainly the Sageuks which are based on women of palace that I watched. Some other are also on my watch list, which I will be watching later. Chicago Typewriter was also a good watch for me. 

I see that your name is actually based on Celebrian. No wonder I thought whether it came from it or not. :rubchin: 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1