My corner of Soompi

Lmangla

6 hours ago, Gumiho said:

Oh ya I just finished watching My Mister kdrama and meet my besties on the thread. We have different POV. We all are romantic basically. It’s just my besties are helplessly romantic while me romantic but very busy.

:loolz:

I think you described this perfectly. Glad you've been on the thread with us!! Tagging @YukawaCattle and @actionscript chingus because I think they'll get a kick out of your words. :joy:

@partyon Instead of boy band school, we should do Korean school! I would do that! I just ordered the box set of My Mister scripts (re-release) and it's coming in a few weeks...but I won't be able to read any of it.

This spring is busy...hoping for a more normal year after the pandemic, but that will mean a busier real life as well with less time for Soompi :( .

On April 9, My Liberation Diary and Our Blues both start. Otherwise I've been watching re-watching Healer, getting a taste of Pachinko , and with my non-kdrama-loving family members working through Superstore, Cobra Kai, and Kim's Convenience. Superstore is surprisingly getting vulgar, Cobra Kai is really cringe-y, and Kim's Convenience is still fun.

The only reading I've done recently has been The Instant Pot Bible and Instant Pot Bible: the Next Generation. :lol:

Spoiler

th?id=OIP.NBZKlGxi33E6uhNmKF0GjAHaJU%26p

th?id=OIP.UzFC1QapBjb2m_R688DnOgAAAA%26p

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

well I`m still kind of k-drama slump. I have dropped even all my daily dramas except one. But even that I´m behind like 50 episodes.  Through the darkness and king of pigs has pulled me back to the land of good thriller kdrama. 

Luckily even though I been in kdrama slump I have had lot of other dramas to watch. Especially Thai Lakorns.  Been watching them with @partyon and @Lmangla  and also many others. it´s always more fun to watch with others and talk about the ridiculous plot or the crazy characters. 

I´m waiting for tomorrow and green mothers club to start in april.

Been working like crazy the past two month. So my social life been taking little hit. But luckily the easter is coming soon. So I have more time for family and friends.   

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

4 hours ago, partyon said:

Any cdramas you would recommend to chingus on this forum who would like to watch something else than kdramas?

Emm, the recommendations I suppose should depend of the one's preferences :). In addition,  with Cdramas it is relatively hard to plan ahead, since they very often just drop the news they are going into broadcasting literally a day or two before premier date :D.

My favorite costume drama of the Q1 2022 is The Autumn Ballad with Xu Zhengxi and Qiao Xin. I always enjoy watching smart and independent female leads, and  FL here is just like that. In addition, the actors are not overdubbed - a big plus if you ask me (Xu Zhengxi's voice is very sexy :wub:):D. So if you are into costume dramas - that might be your cup of tea. 

4 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@leo2020 High-five on two counts; 1) watching Lee Joon-Gi and 2)being more invested in C-dramas lately (lately is defined as since end 2020).

:happydance: 

2all: people, durian is that fruit you are absolutely NOT allowed to take on board a plane, right? :lol:Hehe)). 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, partyon said:

I haven't watched it tbh. My sweetie @Lmangla hated it, so I decided to skip it.

kekeke... I only found out about bridgerton S1 when it aired and I was immediately confused. as someone who had gobbled up hundreds of romance novels at one point, I was surprised that of all the series and author, they picked this borefest. then they basically missed the point of romance novels -- which is to see a relationship grow and develop, you need to feel the characters fall in love. instead, it was so much nudity that the romance totally fall flat. I was bored out of my head and literally FFd through most of it. there was no real growth and the series producers seemed to have zero understanding of what is romance. viewers who have never read romance novels would probably assume that this entire genre is like that. eye roll. however, romance genre covers a wide variety of styles and what the writers want to show in terms of intimacy.

most chastest of romance novels can still be popular -- the success of a romance novel depends on characters and story and how the audience connects. georgette heyer is a great example -- she wrote over 50 novels, all bestsellers in her time and the woman did not do a single interview. my personal favourite when it comes to regency novels is mary balogh. there is a kind of sadness, weariness and realism tinge to her books that is hard to look away. there are also lots of other authors I like and enjoy.

a book that would have made a great/interesting movie/series is "flowers from the storm" by laura kinsale -- often described as unconvetional romance for the range of themes it covers, it really is a page turner. but maybe I should be glad that no one like netflix or prime will pick that book to make into drama. they will likely strip everything about the book that makes it good. 

for those interesting in light reading: (the book is often on the top 100 romances to read)

https://allaboutromance.com/book-review/flowers-from-the-storm-by-laura-kinsale/ (review)

anyway, the trailer for S2 bridergton -- again underwhelming and seemed to miss the point of what a romance is. shrug. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I may be able to see some of Cdramas I'm watching or planning to see in the late evenings. However, I'm more likely going to indulge in reading.

I envy you so much, chingu. :kiss_wink: If I have to choose between a drama and a book, drama always wins. :cries3:

I used to love reading so much and now I find it hard to concentrate on reading - being online has destroyed our brains. :(

2 hours ago, confusedheart said:

I see you and @Lmangla have turned into @sadthe1st :bawling:

No, not really. :D My sweetie @Lmangla and I just love ice cream! :love: For the rest, if it's edible - we eat it - who cares about the taste.

Support Thumbs Up GIF by Spotify

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

@partyon Instead of boy band school, we should do Korean school! I would do that! I just ordered the box set of My Mister scripts (re-release) and it's coming in a few weeks...but I won't be able to read any of it.

Chingu, I think you top @agenth when it comes to loving a certain kdrama. :flushed:

37 minutes ago, joccu said:

I´m waiting for tomorrow and green mothers club to start in april.

Yaassss!!!!! Finally you get to see your oppa in a drama! :loveu:

Chingu, any plans for Easter break?

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Blob 1

15 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

georgette heyer is a great example

Yes! I like her! Thanks for the reminder as I think I have 3 books in my Kindle from her that I still haven't read yet. :lol:

Chingu are you into Outlander? I've stalled on book 7 now and am very bored with it, but I loved books 1 - 4. Dropped the show after season 3, though....they just changed way too much. And it was so graphic. The novels are SO much better, though I did like seeing the Highlands and the actual costumes from that period.

7 minutes ago, partyon said:

Chingu, I think you top @agenth when it comes to loving a certain kdrama. :flushed:

Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

Maybe. Plus @agenth luffs Ji Chang Wook so much...and whereas I'm a huge fan of Lee Sun Kyun, I just love everything about My Mister so much. :wub:

:lol:

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

13 minutes ago, leo2020 said:

2all: people, durian is that fruit you are absolutely NOT allowed to take on board a plane, right? :lol:Hehe)). 

You're not even allowed to bring it into hotel premises in Borneo. Huge signs everywhere.

:loolz:

12 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

anyway, the trailer for S2 bridergton -- again underwhelming and seemed to miss the point of what a romance is. shrug. 

I didn't even bother to check out the trailer. :unamused: I trust your judgement on this one, sweetie!

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
  • Blob 2

9 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Chingu are you into Outlander? I've stalled on book 7 now and am very bored with it, but I loved books 1 - 4. Dropped the show after season 3, though....they just changed way too much. And it was so graphic. The novels are SO much better, though I did like seeing the Highlands and the actual costumes from that period.

I haven't read the books. I think it was because I have read so many of those time transplant romance books earlier that I was bored by that kind of synopsis. ^_^

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

27 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

georgette heyer is a great example

Yep, read her. She got my head full of 'romance'. She is to be blamed along with trashy Mills and Boons romances. @partyon can you blame me now for liking that curly haired boy who is a complete jerk? Mills and Boons is to be blamed for filling our young impressionable heads with all that nonsense. :lol:

I got Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. Strangely enough, I have never read Dostoevsky.   

17 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Chingu are you into the Outlander novels? I'm on book 7 now and very bored, but I loved books 1 - 4.

Wow! You have immense patience. I watched the series and that was it. :blink:

27 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

It is bad, chingu! You know me. I am the first one to watch anything that's tagged as romance but this one is horrible. I am not sure how/ why we got another season? They should take a leaf out of BBC series and do something similar. :headbang:

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

1 minute ago, confusedheart said:

It is bad, chingu! You know me. I am the first one to watch anything that's tagged as romance but this one is e. I am not sure how/ why we got another season? They should take a leaf out of BBC series and do something similar.

good, I will stay away from it then! I am really looking forward to enola homes season 2. the first season was fun -- beats bridgerton any day. 

how cute are these two? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

Just now, Lmangla said:

good, I will stay away from it then! I am really looking forward to enola homes season 2. the first season was fun -- beats bridgerton any day. 

I hated Enola Holmes. :unamused: 

Me when it finally ended:

Wake Up Reaction GIF by Laff

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Blob 1

11 minutes ago, partyon said:
26 minutes ago, leo2020 said:

You're not even allowed to bring it into hotel premises in Borneo. Huge signs everywhere.

seems like they know better :lol: and had a  really bad experience with the poor fruit)). 

21 minutes ago, partyon said:

being online has destroyed our brains

Let's see the bright side of "online"- how long do you think will it take to get our messages to one another via normal post :D. And the best thing-  we are here all together "enjoying the ride"- that's sooo cool:gangnamstyle:.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

16 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

I think it was because I have read so many of those time transplant romance books earlier that I was bored by that kind of synopsis. 

:lol: She is a very good writer, and the story is pretty epic, with love, politics, love for Scotland, love for family, and crazy time travel all involved. I love Claire as a character - she is hilarious in a very dry, deadpan way.

13 minutes ago, confusedheart said:

Wow! You have immense patience. I watched the series and that was it. 

I think my patience has run out. :D But Book 1 (Outlander) is pretty awesome and I'd recommend it to most people who like good, solid stories.

3 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

have any of you seen 'miss scarlet and the duke'? another series 2 that I am looking forward to. though not sure when it will air. 

Ooh, never heard of it! Will keep an eye out for it. Was it originally a novel?

7 minutes ago, partyon said:

We're talking about the Netflix movie, right? But it was so cuuute!!! I watched it twice in a row. :wub:

14 minutes ago, partyon said:

Me 150 meters from a stinky tofu stall at the night market:

:joy:

Me at a night market:

Angry Mad GIF

(angry that stinky tofu even exists)

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

@partyon  chingu, My plan is to Party with my friends

Alejandro Jodorowsky Party GIF by Endless Poetry

and them going to see my cousin with my brothers. My cousin´s daughter just had her 1 year B-day. 

Yeah. I´m really interested to see what kind of character he plays this time. :biubiu:

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

22 minutes ago, partyon said:

I envy you so much, chingu.  If I have to choose between a drama and a book, drama always wins. 

I used to love reading so much and now I find it hard to concentrate on reading - being online has destroyed our brains. :(

I do take online breaks, and the longest time I didn't use the net was for more than a year. A feat for me, LOL, who's been actively using the net since 1997. 

Hmm, which one I'd choose first would depend on the drama or the book. More often than not though, the book wins, hehehe.

For the first 3mo of this year, I've managed to finish 6 Cdramas. Compared to last year, I watched less than 5 for the whole year. 

Hopefully I'll also be in the groove to be more serious learning another language from this spring thereon. :)

• Like 2
  • Love 4
  • Blob 2

42 minutes ago, leo2020 said:

WOW, so you're up to some serious stuff...cool:thumbsup:

Wish me luck, chingu. This is my first time reading him. 

46 minutes ago, partyon said:

me too! I didn't like that series at all. :bawling:

43 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

have any of you seen 'miss scarlet and the duke'?

Nope but after that 'exchange' , yes! Where do you watch it? Prime? NF? 

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 4