[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

Seol In Ah Talks About Working With Shin Hye Sun, Kim Jung Hyun, And More On “Mr. Queen”

Seol In Ah shared her thoughts on her latest hit drama “Mr. Queen”!

The historical fusion drama is about a man from modern times whose soul is trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty. Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the Joseon queen with the soul of Blue House chef Jang Bong Hwan trapped inside her. Kim Jung Hyun plays her husband King Cheoljong, who is a weak and ineffective king on the outside but is stronger and sharper than he appears. Seol In Ah stars as Jo Hwa Jin, King Cheoljong’s first love who opposes Kim So Yong.

Seol In Ah shared, “I was nervous and felt pressure because it was my first historical drama in a long time. It was an enjoyable time. Since the teamwork between the actors, staff, and director was good, I was able to act more comfortably without the pressure I had expected.”

“Mr. Queen” was Seol In Ah’s first historical drama since “The Flower in Prison” in 2016. The actress revealed that she practiced lowering her tone while speaking and read books slowly while taking deeper breaths to practice the sageuk tone. Seol In Ah shared that she would watch clips and read comments about her character but would sometimes get hurt in the process. She explained, “When that happened, my family and my manager took care of me a lot and helped stabilize my mentality.”

The actress also talked about the mood on set and how the cast pretended to be their characters off-camera. She shared, “We joked around as our respective characters. When I approached So Yong, Court Lady Choi (Cha Chung Hwa) and Hong Yeon (Chae Seo Eun) said, ‘Queen, you have to be careful.’ Then, So Yong would slightly glare at me. We spent time like this normally as our characters. In particular, there were a lot of bloopers thanks to Byulgam Hong (Lee Jae Won). It was to the point that we would laugh for 30 minutes.”

Regarding her co-stars, Seol In Ah shared, “From rehearsal to the filming, I was able to act in a diverse and vivid way with Shin Hye Sun. Although she was the actress with the most amount of activities scheduled, she was always smiling and full of consideration, which I learned a lot from.” Seol In Ah also reunited with Kim Jung Hyun after working together on “School 2017.” On their reunion, Seol In Ah shared, “I felt reassured and a sense of closeness with him on set, and I was able to fall even deeper into my role because he took care of me and showed his focus.”

Yoo Min Kyu played Prince Yeongpyeong, who secretly harbored feelings for Jo Hwa Jin. Regarding actor Yoo Min Kyu, Seol In Ah shared, “He’s mischievous and talkative unlike how he seems, so he made me fall for that charm and share too much information about myself.” On actress Jo Yeon Hee, who played Queen Jo, Seol In Ah shared, “We talked jokingly about how far our characters’ evil deeds will go and that we’ll live a long time since our characters were cursed at a lot. I fell for the way she didn’t lose her serious attitude while filming.”

Finally, Seol In Ah talked about wanting to take on the action genre in the future and play a role like Villanelle in BBC’s “Killing Eve.” She added that she learned to be easy going, realized again that there are still so many things to learn, and gained courage through filming “Mr. Queen.” The actress explained that this was all thanks to the viewers and asked them to show lots of interest in her next project as well.

Seol-In-Ah-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cenching said:

No offense but that explanation is full of holes. If there are 2 souls inside her body is the reason BH’s body in vegetative state, why SY didn’t wake up when BH went back briefly?? Beside SB was on the verge of death when she jumped into the lake before CJ rescued her, there was no signs of SY presence too.

Yeah, I respect your opinion too! I do agree to some extend that it's the writer's fault because he doesn't point out the important things here, and that SY-soul-drowning-in-the-lake scene OFC make us misunderstood everything. I even did OSTs analysis just for this drama, and yeah even though I do agree that SY is still there (bcz of Here I Am OST), the only conclusion that I got from other OSTs like Keep Going and The Great Recipe is that BH would stay in Joseon Era. I am not against BH-CJ endgame, but yes I against the idea of Bonghwan staying in Joseon. Once again, I respect all of your ideas and arguments here, so let me try to share mine too...

I'm SY-CJ shipper actually, but since EP 1 - EP 19, I don't see any hope for SY-CJ endgame, and that's okay bcz I always get SLS syndrome anyway:)) So, even if my heart's happy to see SY-CJ as an endgame, I do find that is a lil bit illogical, at first. Until, I saw Kim Jung Hyun's live on instagram and finally choose my own path to understand the story. He said, "I think it doesn't matter whose soul is in the body, what matters is how cheoljong chose how to see soyong from his perspective and fell in love with her that way.." (cr: teamkdramas on twt)

What I understand here is that CJ didn't simply fall in love with Sobong's personality or Soyong's trait, he fell in love with "the way" he choose to see 'The Queen' from his perspective. Okay, this is a philosophical thing and I amaze with the way how Jung Hyun tried to make us understand CJ's character better. He basically said, people in normal life usually love someone because, they make "their own perception" toward that someone. CJ alr knew that the Queen's behavior changed, but does he hate it? Emm, I think no, because he literally loves The Queen by "His own" perspective. 

Back to the Here I Am OST, YES, Soyong was there ALL the time, but she's hiding and Bonghwan is kinda her human self-defense mechanism property. The evidence? Her memories, emotions, instincts and traits always remain. How could Sobong said the exact same thing like, "SY's guilt toward her mother death", "I could die with smile," even "the way she always overlaps when talking to her father". I choose to believe that it was SY's subconscious mind. Moreover, after the vegetative incident, SY's subconscious mind slowly getting stronger and stronger until she fully overtook her body again in EP 20.

But again, this is just my own ideas to clear my own anxiety about this drama ahahahaha! Actually choosing to let go of the things that didn't go your way is kinda hard to do, but when you do, believe me that you would find peace, ofc with the help of the almighty 'TIME'. Justice for BH? YES OFC I NEED IT SO BADLY!!! But life goes on guys, the staffs who made Mr. Queen are humans, full of flaws. But it doesn't mean that they did not work hard enough, right? So, let's just focus more to appreciating the staffs and all of the actors! 

But, if you're still disagree with me, then don't mind me, It's okay, I still respect your arguments anyway, peace all!

• Like 3

@zzang phoenix

No offense taken and in CJ character's POV I would have to agree with KJH. Added to what you said above (about his perspective in loving His Queen), CJ had experienced lots of lots of losses. His family were killed in front of his eyes. He loved HJ and despite checked out early he still cherishes her very much hence he was super distraught when she left. He loves His Queen (I don't want to use SB/SY/BH) to death and he saw with his own eyes how she was about to died together with his unborn baby. He was shaken to the core. For a person who had lost that much he is just being grateful that His Queen is still by his side, alive. So whatever nagging feeling he has about His Queen, he will just brushes it off and covers it with love and gratefulness, so at the end of the day it's really doesn't matter for him whose soul is inside. In fairness, SY isn't a terrible queen and she loves him a lot too.

So I am totally fine with CJ’s situation. But of course SY and BH are different stories. The characterization is terrible (no need to elaborate) and made me think that the writers purposely created this confusion for hype and they are successful.

add.

Forget to add that for CJ, SY/SB/BH is His Queen period. Thru out 20 episodes, he’s never addresses her by her name, not even once. So for CJ, she’s His Queen, no more no less. Sounds shallow in a way but this is what it is...

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1

43 minutes ago, cenching said:

@zzang phoenix

No offense taken and in CJ character's POV I would have to agree with KJH. Added to what you said above (about his perspective in loving His Queen), CJ had experienced lots of lots of losses. His family were killed in front of his eyes. He loved HJ and despite checked out early he still cherishes her very much hence he was super distraught when she left. He loves His Queen (I don't want to use SB/SY/BH) to death and he saw with his own eyes how she was about to died together with his unborn baby. He was shaken to the core. For a person who had lost that much he is just being grateful that His Queen is still by his side, alive. So whatever nagging feeling he has about His Queen, he will just brushes it off and covers it with love and gratefulness, so at the end of the day it's really doesn't matter for him whose soul is inside. In fairness, SY isn't a terrible queen and she loves him a lot too.

So I am totally fine with CJ’s situation. But of course SY and BH are different stories. The characterization is terrible (no need to elaborate) and made me think that the writers purposely created this confusion for hype and they are successful.

add.

Forget to add that for CJ, SY/SB/BH is His Queen period. Thru out 20 episodes, he’s never addresses her by her name, not even once. So for CJ, she’s His Queen, no more no less. Sounds shallow in a way but this is what it is...

YES TRUE!!! I really loved your theory about CJ's feeling by the way, you put it into words that's so easy to be understood. And I actually like to refer "the person that CJ loves" as "The Queen" too, so great!

About BH-SY, yeah, the writer's intention, lol, actually I thought about that possibility too yesterday, so maybe it really is their scheme ahahaahaha, because if they just cleared out everything, maybe there won't be any discussion like this, right? But they are still great staffs, I saw behind the scene of Bamboo Forest and found out that they were shooting until 4 in the morning, so I'll just respect them unconditionally:((

Anyway, choose anything that makes you happy, I'll choose mine too, and maybe see you again in another drama! Anyeong~

• Like 5

So what are the impacts of the change of history? How come it still lead to an identical South Korea like in  real life if the King is so successful? No stronger Korean economy even with the stronger head start? No United Korea? Still divided into South & North which mean the same tragedies (abolishment of monarchy, Japanese colonization, Korean War, division into South & North) happened anyway? How come these were not avoided by the King's success?

If we assume everything still proceed the same way despite the King being a great reformer, the implication is that CJ's heir would still be deposed by the Japanese & lived in house arrest for the remainder of his life. In the real history this King (Gojong) was some distant relative of CJ but here it would be CJ's & BH/SY's unborn child (if the baby is a boy).  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RSY said:

So what are the impacts of the change of history? How come it still lead to an identical South Korea like in  real life if the King is so successful? No stronger Korean economy even with the stronger head start? No United Korea? Still divided into South & North which mean the same tragedies (abolishment of monarchy, Japanese colonization, Korean War, division into South & North) happened anyway? How come these were not avoided by the King's success?

If we assume everything still proceed the same way despite the King being a great reformer, the implication is that CJ's heir would still be deposed by the Japanese & lived in house arrest for the remainder of his life. In the real history this King (Gojong) was some distant relative of CJ but here it would be CJ's & BH/SY's unborn child (if the baby is a boy).  

Oh honey, the writers didn’t even bother with the ending for the titular character Mr Queen (Bong Hwan). Do you really think they concerned themselves with something like logical consequences? For example why was Secretary Han still there in the future if Bong Hwan got his ancestor castrated?

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:26 PM, DeluLunaUnnie said:

It's out, KJH track on MQ OST

"Like the first snow" (철인왕후)

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

(Ms Goldie)

Sometimes when I'm with you,

I feel unfamiliar with myself smiling.

Slowly, without realizing

Is it because of you who permeated my heart?

Even if you say no,

You're always there at the end of my gaze.

My day like a gift when I close my eyes

It was the first snow that was too warm for me.

It's pouring down like snow on my heart where there was no light in my life,

You don't have no idea. without any burden

Slowly, in your mind,

I'll sneak down like the first snow.

I miss you, even when I'm in front of you.

I feel like you're going to disappear to my eyes any time.

I'm afraid you will be erased when I close my eyes.

I think I'm going to put you in my mind a little bit more.

It's pouring down like snow on my heart.

In my life, where there was no light

without a burden , whispering in your mind

I'll sneak down like the first snow.

Just stay with me like now and forever.

It's pouring down like snow on my heart

where there was no light in my life.

I'll sneak down in your heart like the first snow

little whispering,  without burden.

I'll always be by your side like I am now.

- - -

Guys, this is definitely a song of longing...

Tell me what timeline is this for???

We are really never getting over our brokenness (whatever that means for us).

oh so sweet!  I heard this was the song playing in the closing credits of EP19 Heart Love GIF by RainToMe

Edited by serenilmauve
Please don’t quote videos, thanks!
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RSY said:

This! The lack of complete resolution really is disappointing. They obviously changed events in history. They mentioned that CJ didn't die there and his reputation changed from an ineffective king to one who changed the monarchy.  Someone here noted he died at 32 which I think is the same age as before.  That's pretty young, if he was around 20 when the events in Mr Queen happened IIRC, he had only abt a dozen years to rule.  His child would still be so young.  Did they have more than one? How did he die?? Did SY become regent?

It would be logical to think BH would read every info he could get on what happened but they just gloss over it and just add a short line from BH that he and CJ changed Korea.  But how exactly has it changed?  Is BH still the chef at the blue house? How did he change his life?

But the details on that is so very lacking.

Everything that happened, all the hardships they went through, in large part, were for the sake of the country, for their vision of a better future.  But that future was never really shown to us..

It's like you work hard to collaborate on a project and you never get to see the finished product.

It is partly why the ending was unsatisfying for me.

4 hours ago, aisling said:

Oh honey, the writers didn’t even bother with the ending for the titular character Mr Queen (Bong Hwan). Do you really think they concerned themselves with something like logical consequences? For example why was Secretary Han still there in the future if Bong Hwan got his ancestor castrated?

That plan was faulty LOL.  He didn't castrate the whole family so that bloodline still continued. He must have had siblings, cousins etc...I think he was just taking his anger out on the ancestor LOL.

• Like 6

la-ah-ah!... a song of love! Composer HowL also did much of the soundtrack for Mr. Queen, including the main theme. I'm hoping for the instrumental version.

A reminder of those heady days when we were all head-over-heels in love and the good times were gonna last forever. Back around episode 9. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2021 at 8:59 AM, aren_117 said:

Regarding Soyong's bad behavior, I believe she was acting. She was acting to be cruel for her to be dethroned. Cause if she truly was cruel, do you think Hongyeon would loyally stay by her side and cry for her? I believe that she would not think highly of Soyong if her real nature was truly cruel. But that didnt happen, Hongyeon was the one who truly knows her. She was the one who told Bong Hwan about the queen's cruel deeds but she defended her and told him that its not her real character.

Just a quick comment on this.  Abt HY not staying loyally by her side if SY was truly cruel.  Well, the maids in this drama seem very loyal and trained to be so.  The GQD's maid remained loyal even after she was not longer in power and we all know the GQD is a lot more vicious and cruel than any other character in the show. She had her own grandson killed, the previous king, to keep her power! And HJ's maid remained loyal even while she was being tortured.

So it's not a good way to gauge it.

But I didn't say she was cruel. What I pointed out was her choice of being cruel to others, who were innocent and below her in status and power, so they couldn't fight back and are obligated to just take it or die, is troubling IMO.

Someone pointed out the only way to get out of the palace is either be dethroned or die.

Well, the way she chose as a way to be dethroned is to push it on others instead of taking the risk and consequences on herself.

And it wasn't effective at all so she still ended up choosing death in the end.

• Like 5

I am definitely in the minority here who like the ending and the drama as a whole. For me, the story is more about the adventure of JBH into the past. Not about the love story of King and Queen.

In fact, every time I see the Queen, I always imagine her as the JBH from the future. Having my bias CJH as JBH no doubt plays a big role in me feeling more invested in the character, haha... So I was happy he gets to finally go home. What he had with King, I see it more as a great camaraderie during his adventure, mixed with a little bit of passion of course. He is a womanizer after all. Nothing holds him back from a chance for having some sexy time. Not even the form that he is in. 

When earlier we were shown JBH being in comma at the hospital, and being embroiled in a problem with authorities as well, I have already expected he will go back to the future to solve that problem. I cannot be sure because the story could go any which way but yeah, I wanted JBH to survive and be back in his handsome form... LOL... 

Anyway, it’s a drama I thoroughly enjoyed and wouldn’t mind a rewatch for the silly hilarious scenes. It’s a drama I would recommend others to watch too. 

• Like 10
  • Awesome 1

True LOOL

credit to the owner

This is so funny!

Especially Cheol Jong's stage name ahahahah:joy:

credit to the owner

Spoiler

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner