[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

10 minutes ago, joonminfan said:

@shimshimae @Min2206 I think I may watch last Ep with subs because I want to re-watch the parts with the King confronting KJG and taking back his throne, the scene where the King cried because of SY and their baby, and the one where he was punishing (?) the corrupt ministers. I didn’t understand a word he said, but he was so upright and just and passionate and commanding.. wow.. I really need to watch that part again.

gonna go find the spin-offs to watch. Are they all available with subs already?

oh yes - all those are amazing scenes - it's just I don't have the heart to inflict another dose of pain on myself :joy:- so left the episode and yes, the spin-offs are subbed. :) just google or look up on any famous site 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

11 minutes ago, joonminfan said:

@shimshimae @Min2206 I think I may watch last Ep with subs because I want to re-watch the parts with the King confronting KJG and taking back his throne, the scene where the King cried because of SY and their baby, and the one where he was punishing (?) the corrupt ministers. I didn’t understand a word he said, but he was so upright and just and passionate and commanding.. wow.. I really need to watch that part again.

gonna go find the spin-offs to watch. Are they all available with subs already?

YEs, they are available with subs .. therefore I could understand and felt better.
Please do watch how the King claimed back his throne - his expression and determination, and the part when he had to leave the injured Queen , that was touching.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, tazmin said:

Maybe one day a drama will break the barriers with a team willing to bear the brunt but who knows when that’ll happen.

In the K2, the villainess was significantly older than the male lead so I’m sure it wouldn’t have gone well if they got together or it developed far more than it did 

yeah - but I think sort of off-topic from this drama thread - the older-female/younger-male pairing dramas are also somewhat common in kdramaland - I was somewhat surprised at that - it's confusing lol 

33 minutes ago, Min2206 said:

I love the spin-offs too

1st one was funny
2nd one really ease the pain - felt much better @shimshimae  though I feel :tears: for Chef Jang

yeah - the second episode gave us some closure - and another kiss - lol why didn't they kiss properly :joy: 
and chingu @Min2206 I still feel the pain of both CJ/BH characters not getting their due :tears:

• Like 4

@joonminfan

You should watch the finale to get it out from your system. Acting wise, they were amazing albeit leaving a bitter aftertaste. I love the scene where CJ turned pale and feels hopeless at the sight of SY screaming in pains and in the verge of losing the baby. His agony was so raw and I can feel the depth of his love to His Queen. Another impressive scene for me is when SY was fixing his unbuttoned king robe and told him to finishes his business with him so reluctant to leaves her. Simple gesture but it's simply beautiful more intimate than those making out in a way...

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, shimshimae said:

yeah - but I think sort of off-topic from this drama thread - the older-female/younger-male pairing dramas are also somewhat common in kdramaland - I was somewhat surprised at that - it's confusing lol 

yeah - the second episode gave us some closure - and another kiss - lol why didn't they kiss properly :joy: 
and chingu @Min2206 I still feel the pain of both CJ/BH characters not getting their due :tears:

Time will heal, unless you re-watch the drama one day.  Just focus on your fav parts.  I am okay now.  
May I ask would there be any more spin-offs - just these 2 episodes?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Min2206 said:

Time will heal, unless you re-watch the drama one day.  Just focus on the part which you want to see.    I am okay now.  
May I ask would there be any more spin-offs - just these 2 episodes?

oh yes :) - I'll be okay too in a while 
As far as I know, only two episodes :( 

2 minutes ago, cenching said:

@joonminfan

You should watch the finale to get it out from your system. Acting wise, they were amazing albeit leaving a bitter aftertaste. I love the scene where CJ turned pale and feels hopeless at the sight of SY screaming in pains and in the verge of losing the baby. His agony was so raw and I can feel the depth of his love to His Queen. Another impressive scene for me is when SY was fixing his unbuttoned king robe and told him to finishes his business with him so reluctant to leaves her. Simple gesture but it's simply beautiful more intimate than those making out in a way...

these two are very powerful scenes - I hope SHS and KJH get all those famed acting awards :partyblob:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Mr. Queen: Episodes 19-20 Open Thread (Final)

by missvictrix

QUEEN1920_1.jpg

The finale is here! As we follow our king and queen through their final battle at maximum intensity, we also find a resolution to our story. Though the details are not explained, the ending stitches together in a way that’s both exciting and satisfying. It’s rare that finale episodes are the best, but these were surely my favorite of the show’s run.

EPISODES 19-20 WEECAP

QUEEN1920_2.jpg

A fierce and terrifying Byung-in has So-yong by the neck. But rather than jump off the cliff a la Cheoljong, and rather than die at Byung-in’s hands, he has mercy on her just in time. Though he realizes she’s not his So-yong, the memories that are in her are enough for him, and he winds up back on the queen’s side, and fighting off the men who once answered to him.

I’ve been interested in Byung-in’s part in this story from the beginning, so I enjoyed how long of a stretch is given to wrapping up his story. In the end, he comes full circle, having begun with this secret/devoted love of her, to have that morph into anger and jealousy, only to have it turn back to loving devotion in the end. I do love that.

Byung-in protects So-yong till the end, gives her the evidence she needs to prove treason, and dies a beautifully heroic and soldierly death in order to protect her.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/02/mr-queen-episodes-19-20-open-thread-final/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, cdcotr said:

This is the 3rd time I'll be typing this bec I don't know how but it disappeared before I could hit post. :crybaby:

I just wanted to bring up something that stuck with me from the beginning and was never adequately explained. It was brought up in previous page..

It was how SY acted in the palace, punishing maids, court ladies, eunuchs and maybe even kids as they were shown to be scared of her.  She had them punished even for minor if not non-existent faults. 

GQD mentioned that she might have done that to get out of being chosen as queen. Though it was never explicitly confirmed.

If this was her plan, it was cruel. and ineffective.

She was vicious and punished innocent people to get out of something she agreed to do.

She could have asked her father to take her home.  He seemed to dote on her and spoil her even if he might neglect her.  Or she could have pretended to be sick, or even pretend to have a lover.

Schemes that would not involve hurting other people who could not fight back.

Besides, being cruel would not have deterred the GQD, KJG, the ministers as they are all cruel and vicious  too.  They wouldn't care. All they wanted is to use her to control CJ and boost their power in the court.

They would not have let her go for anything short of being infertile or being caught having an affair (maybe a rumor would do).

But her choice to ruin her chances by being cruel and hurting innocent people, instead of taking a more drastic and risky to herself plan (but would be more effective)...well...tells me something of her character.

Regarding Soyong's bad behavior, I believe she was acting. She was acting to be cruel for her to be dethroned. Cause if she truly was cruel, do you think Hongyeon would loyally stay by her side and cry for her? I believe that she would not think highly of Soyong if her real nature was truly cruel. But that didnt happen, Hongyeon was the one who truly knows her. She was the one who told Bong Hwan about the queen's cruel deeds but she defended her and told him that its not her real character.

Anyways moving on... 

The reason why I was not that hurt about the ending are as follows: ( just a little bit disappointed by the loose ends of the drama)

*Before the famous ep 7, I didnt see Bong Hwan and Cheoljong as potential love interests because Bong Hwan is definitely straight without a hint of any inclinations to men. I did wonder about CJ's  feelings for So Yong though because in Episode 3 (or 2?) just before he went and tried to kill the queen, Prince YP told him that he should not be distracted by his personal feelings for the queen. That they needed to kill the queen despite what he may feel (or something like that). So when I saw that, I was like, does CJ feel something for the queen but just hid it because they are enemies? So yeah, as early as episode 3 (or 2 haha srsly I dont remember), I already suspected that the King feels something for the queen before Bonghwan came in. 

*After SoBong woke up from the vegetative state, I always viewed Bong Hwan and So Y

6 hours ago, cdcotr said:

This is the 3rd time I'll be typing this bec I don't know how but it disappeared before I could hit post. :crybaby:

I just wanted to bring up something that stuck with me from the beginning and was never adequately explained. It was brought up in previous page..

It was how SY acted in the palace, punishing maids, court ladies, eunuchs and maybe even kids as they were shown to be scared of her.  She had them punished even for minor if not non-existent faults. 

GQD mentioned that she might have done that to get out of being chosen as queen. Though it was never explicitly confirmed.

If this was her plan, it was cruel. and ineffective.

She was vicious and punished innocent people to get out of something she agreed to do.

She could have asked her father to take her home.  He seemed to dote on her and spoil her even if he might neglect her.  Or she could have pretended to be sick, or even pretend to have a lover.

Schemes that would not involve hurting other people who could not fight back.

Besides, being cruel would not have deterred the GQD, KJG, the ministers as they are all cruel and vicious  too.  They wouldn't care. All they wanted is to use her to control CJ and boost their power in the court.

They would not have let her go for anything short of being infertile or being caught having an affair (maybe a rumor would do).

But her choice to ruin her chances by being cruel and hurting innocent people, instead of taking a more drastic and risky to herself plan (but would be more effective)...well...tells me something of her character.

Regarding Soyong's bad behavior, I believe she was acting. She was acting to be cruel for her to be dethroned. Cause if she truly was cruel, do you think Hongyeon would loyally stay by her side and cry for her? I believe that she would not think highly of Soyong if her real nature was truly cruel. But that didnt happen, Hongyeon was the one who truly knows her. She was the one who told Bong Hwan about the queen's cruel deeds but she defended her and told him that its not her real character.

Anyways moving on... 

The reason why I was not that hurt about the ending are as follows: ( just a little bit disappointed by the loose ends of the drama)

*Before the famous ep 7, I didnt see Bong Hwan and Cheoljong as potential love interests because Bong Hwan is definitely straight without a hint of any inclinations to men. I did wonder about CJ's  feelings for So Yong though because in Episode 3 (or 2?) just before he went and tried to kill the queen, Prince YP told him that he should not be distracted by his personal feelings for the queen. That they needed to kill the queen despite what he may feel (or something like that). So when I saw that, I was like, does CJ feel something for the queen but just hid it because they are enemies? So yeah, as early as episode 3 (or 2 haha srsly I dont remember), I already suspected that the King feels something for the queen before Bonghwan came in. 

*After SoBong woke up from the vegetative state, I always viewed Bong Hwan and So Yong as one soul. (Cause I really thought they are going for the reincarnation route) I saw them as equals, I never thought that Bong Hwan dominated the body, or SoYong sometimes take over because I truly believed they are one. Maybe the thought process is only BongHwan because he believes that he is Bong Hwan but in reality she is not only him. SoBong as what we call her is SoYong +BongHwan ; they moved as one unit. And there was even a scene where SoBong talked about SoYong's memories as if it were hers. Sobong was just in denial thats why he/she rejected SoYong's memories and identity as hers. Cause the nature of man and woman inside him/her clashed.

Anyways thats what I believed after Sobong woke up. I never saw the queen as Bong Hwan or So Yong separately, so I dont feel like So Yong took all the credit that should be Bong Hwan's. I felt like what all Bong Hwan did, she did also.

*I am still a strong supporter of the reincarnation theory. That Bong Hwan is So Yong's reincarnation. It was never clarified in the drama but who knows right? They even hinted on "next life" in the spin offs. In my mind, Bong Hwan will meet Cheol Jong's reincarnation in the future and then they will fall in love again or something like that. I love reading fanfics soooo. hahaha

*everyone got a happy ending and I believe Bong Hwan was truly haooy. I do believe the ending was rushed cause they couldve explained more about the time travel/soul swapping or whatnot; but nevertheless I love everything in Mr. Queen including the ending. Though I feel sorry for Bong Hwan because he got separated from CJ and the others But thats why I believe in my imagination that he will meet the reincarnation of CJ and the others in the present time. Who knows right?.

anyways thats just my opinion.

Thank you every one!

i will still rewatch from episode 1! i love this drama to pieces.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

The more I think about it the more I’m convinced the spin-off was served as the justification for So Yong/Cheoljong endgame. I find it highly suspicious they didn’t include their first dreamy meeting if the meeting was so impactful for both of them. 

I find it ridiculous when people say Cheoljong had feelings for So Yong from the start. He saw her for 2 minutes and people think he loved her? He was intrigued by her beauty and familiarity. If he truly loved her like he loved So Bong, would he be able to put the sword on her neck like he did in episode 3?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

3 hours ago, cenching said:

@xprosperity @yumeaki @realistic2280a

The writers were having fun writing about SB right until episode 19 and a half after that they were hit by whatever realization so they had to take an U turn. That's why I said they did SY down and dirty.

Hehe.. im not sure...in my view, we all know that SB had to go bk to the future, to his future self and not be stuck in the past.

SY's soul is alive and well; it is just a matter of time that she took over/back her body. How it is being done, im not sure but apprently she has to be severely injured and for CJ to be half way dead (maybe) for that to happen. 

I didnt think the ending was executed nicely, there were a lot of loopholes, among them the queen's super baby or fetus who will never ever be miscarried even though the mother walked hundreds of kilometers to find its father, sleeping in freezing forest, being stabbed and cured within a day despite the heavy bleeding...yeah that's CJ's baby allright... haha

But well, in the end, it all end nicely.. let's move on people... im still curious if the chinese version is worth to watch... :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aisling said:

The more I think about it the more I’m convinced the spin-off was served as the justification for So Yong/Cheoljong endgame. I find it highly suspicious they didn’t include their first dreamy meeting if the meeting was so impactful for both of them. 

I find it ridiculous when people say Cheoljong had feelings for So Yong from the start. He saw her for 2 minutes and people think he loved her? He was intrigued by her beauty and familiarity. If he truly loved her like he loved So Bong, would he be able to put the sword on her neck like he did in episode 3?

Had things ended slightly different they’d never been a need for spinoff. Like having CJ present in the modern era would’ve been enough. But they twisted or made things harder for themselves than it needs to be 

• Like 6

Just now, aisling said:

maybe not love her love her but isnt attraction the start of falling in love? Maybe it's not love but it was definitely something. These kdramas somewhat rely on fairytale-like plots and isnt "love at first sight" a device used by many fairy tales in the past? This drama's premise felt like Romeo and Juliet in sooo many ways. hahahha

Anyways I found this on fb to somewhat uplift our moods about the ending.

And I quote...

"For those of us wondering if CJ can still love So Yong without BH's soul, this is the actor's answer.

CJ loved the person in front of him. We are the only ones who know that there are two souls inside So Bong. He just loved the woman in front of him and always wanted to get to know her better. He loved the girl in the well. He loved the woman in the rain (spin-off). And he loved the queen with a man's soul. And now, that soul has left her, he will still love her and strive to get to know her better. As long as she is in front of him. That is my interpretation. Hehe.

"Even if you have the most flaws in the world, I will still like you." He said EVEN IF, not BECAUSE OF. He chooses to understand, accept and love his queen, no matter what she did, whether she is womanly or man-like. Hope you also find this kind of love that will always choose you. Lol!"

• Like 8
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Hehe.. im not sure...in my view, we all know that SB had to go bk to the future, to his future self and not be stuck in the past.

SY's soul is alive and well; it is just a matter of time that she took over/back her body. How it is being done, im not sure but apprently she has to be severely injured and for CJ to be half way dead (maybe) for that to happen. 

I didnt think the ending was executed nicely, there were a lot of loopholes, among them the queen's super baby or fetus who will never ever be miscarried even though the mother walked hundreds of kilometers to find its father, sleeping in freezing forest, being stabbed and cured within a day despite the heavy bleeding...yeah that's CJ's baby allright... haha

But well, in the end, it all end nicely.. let's move on people... im still curious if the chinese version is worth to watch... :D

Obviously you didn't read majority of my comment here....:coolshades: Let me tell you one more time, since the beginning I was never have any expectation that SB-CJ is the endgame and I do believe that everything must be put back to it's respective places but the writers were the one didn't do justice and respect the characters they wrote themselves. They did SY-SB down and dirty. They cheapen her as a character, it's NOT about the ending itself but it's about how they executed it. My beef is with the writers NOT the characters.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aren_117 said:

maybe not love her love her but isnt attraction the start of falling in love? Maybe it's not love but it was definitely something. These kdramas somewhat rely on fairytale-like plots and isnt "love at first sight" a device used by many fairy tales in the past? This drama's premise felt like Romeo and Juliet in sooo many ways. hahahha

Anyways I found this on fb to somewhat uplift our moods about the ending.

And I quote...

"For those of us wondering if CJ can still love So Yong without BH's soul, this is the actor's answer.

CJ loved the person in front of him. We are the only ones who know that there are two souls inside So Bong. He just loved the woman in front of him and always wanted to get to know her better. He loved the girl in the well. He loved the woman in the rain (spin-off). And he loved the queen with a man's soul. And now, that soul has left her, he will still love her and strive to get to know her better. As long as she is in front of him. That is my interpretation. Hehe.

"Even if you have the most flaws in the world, I will still like you." He said EVEN IF, not BECAUSE OF. He chooses to understand, accept and love his queen, no matter what she did, whether she is womanly or man-like. Hope you also find this kind of love that will always choose you. Lol!"

I think ultimate the biggest issue is that there wasn’t enough development for SY in the main series. If you have to resort to a spinoff for required development, that’s a fail imo. 

That’s a very diplomatic answer cause in the show, when SB acted like a Queen, CJ freaked out. I’m sure in reality CJ while in love with SY, would’ve been fundamentally confused at what happened to fire in his Queen. Would he stay as in love as he was with SB with SY? Probably not

• Like 8

Ok so I don’t usually post but I wanted to share my thoughts on the ending with you :) I actually agree with what's been said earlier about SB being BH+SY!

So the way I see it, SY was present since SB awoke from her coma/vegetative state. She was not in control, but she was there in SB’s subconscious, hence the confusion, the new feelings etc, all those things SB experienced after waking up. After her coma, SB started to be influenced by SY, which she was not before. SY’s memories came coming back, but so did her feelings, towards her father for example but towards CJ as well. Before the coma, SB only considered CJ from a man to man perspective (for example she did things to appear as ‘cool’ as he did) but after her coma, SB started looking at CJ with new eyes, influenced by SY (when they were at her family home, she was sooo flustered).

And SY was even more present after the lake scene. And you can see it through little elements, details, eg SB’s writing was improving, so were her embroidery skills (SB would have not been able to embroider that scarf by herself at the beginning of the drama). Another detail is the way SY and her father seem to always talk at the same time. SB started to shift from being only BH’s soul in SY’s body to being BH’s soul heavily influenced by SY’s. And to be fair, I think SB was aware, to some extent at least, that not all of her actions/reflections/feelings were her own (when doesn’t understand why she is aroused by CJ, when she misses him and wonders why it hurts so much…).

And to me what shows best SY’s presence is SB’s reaction to BI’s death. She’s literally in tears and horrified when she sees him die from afar. She breaks down in CJ’s arms saying BI died. SB was always rather cold to BI ; BH was not attached to him in any way. So why would SB react so strongly to BI’s death? Only because he saved her after trying to kill her?

As per CJ and him being spoiled of the man/woman/soul he really loves. I find KJH’s explanation on point. Throughout the whole drama, CJ has been explaining everything his wife did through his own perception and according to his own understanding. She was cold after sending him love letters all night? She must be shy. And so on. Just like he did for the banquet, finding a logical explanation for every plate, CJ, in my view, takes a situation and interprets it, according his knowledge, to fit his own perception of the world. As we all do honestly. So I think with BH’s soul gone, he will just do the same with SY.

So yeah, overall I think this drama was meant to end like that and the ending was hinted for quite some time in SB’s small but gradual changes in attitude.

Honestly, my only problem with the ending is that we did not see enough of SY and CJ together (kinda wanted to see their new dynamic and the babyyyy). If we had one or two scenes more, everyone would have been at least reassured in a way in regards to CJ’s future happiness (and I agree that the sentences like ‘Sometimes I feel like I’ve lost something’ do not help and it would have been better to just leave them out with that kind of ending). Plus a little something for BH as well would have been nice. Of course there are some loopholes (how did she not loose her baby? how did she recover so fast after almost loosing the baby?) but I mean, how did CJ recover so fast from the explosion? The whole goal was to be a funny drama while having a bit of politics/more serious topics on the side, so I don't really care about this stuff.

Anyway, this drama was a breeze of fresh air, very enjoyable, the acting was great, the drama was funny, I really liked it, and I think we should all just take a step back and just appreciate what a good time we had watching it! :)

Edited by fionn
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

I believe that when someone is going to write something, they should keep in mind what their goal is with this whole story.
When analyzing the drama as a whole, the impression I got is that the writers' goal was to tell the love story between Kim So Yong and Cheol Jong and, to develop this story, they wanted to use the exchange of SoYong's soul for that of Bong Hwan.
This soul exchange was necessary for comedy scenes. It wouldn't have been so funny if there hadn't been a man inside a woman's body trying to escape the feelings that SoYong had for her husband.
However, this instrument was absolutely inadequate for the purpose and ended up generating all the inconsistency. Basically, the writers wanted to harvest rice, but planted beans.
They tried to justify that in the end it was appropriate that SoYong and Cheol Jong were destined loves, at first sight, that SoYong was always inside the body observing everything and that the feelings that BH felt were not his, but SY's. There were some passages in the drama in which Bong Hwan wondered (and in the spin-off he appears once): what am I feeling is my soul or is it the body? Apparently, it was from the body (and also from SoYong's soul). In my opinion, this justification is not a good one.

• Like 9

I think the main issue was the writer and director should have made SY presence more know like instead of the subtle hints they should have made it more obvious to us even if BH didn't know but viewers did. That would have still made all of his confusion still valid and funny.

Their other mistake was not really giving the viewers enough SY how can we truly be happy for her when we don't know her everything was through BH view even because there was 20 eps they could have established SY character more in the first ep at least so that we would be familiar with her.

To most people she was a weak coward who let a man fight her battle instead of fighting herself for someone she supposedly loved so much. some people try to say BH gave up his life because SY found him while he was just sinking to the bottom of the lake but he was knocked out if I remember correctly plus he fell in he didn't jump like she did.

But honestly my Biggest Issue is that BH in the second half of ep 20 became a meaningless character, yeah he had some growth as a person but he did build relationships with all those people in the palace, its like he barely got any reward for what he did and everything he cared about was tossed aside like it never happened.

They made it seem like all the relationships he built were done by SY but she would have never been friends with the head chef, HY said she was kind to her but BH treated HY and Lady Choi differently. IDK I feel like BH got cheated his ending could have been better or they could have shown more of him rather than have CJ and SY spending 2hrs running around the palace looking for each other. I think most people cared more about BH than any other character and in the end he became a side character, which is to me is the most disappointing.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The great widowed queen was sent to the western palace and the widowed queen was sent to the western palace. Was this a punishment because they had to be confined inside without talking to anyone or because it was less prestigious?

• Like 1