[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

I was really mad last night during a half of show..

I just cant get along with storyline that Hyun Soo draws a blurry memory in purpose and it hurts me so bad.

Before the show, i strongly believe that Eun Ha will be final key of Do Hyun Soo attitude, but when "Cha Eun Ha" twist is coming, i stop!!

I JUST CANT CONTINUE SUFFERING MYSELF!Tobey Maguire Reaction GIF

I didnt even continue till the end then i sleep while crying and this morning i get up with swollen eyes hahaha..

I just finished ep 16 and seriously it is still suffocating.

It seems i need season 2 but i dont need either.

It will be nice if PDnim give us final epilogue, i would really appreciate it.

Great job dearest everyone..

Thank you very much for your love for Flower of Evil.

Stop Motion Love GIF by Mochimochiland

• Like 6

I'm back to give you my final thoughts (after I have watched it with subs) with some interesting scenes/lines :

-At first, DHS didn't want to regain his memory because he resented him as BHS.  He lied to his wife for 14 years and caused her pain.  He thought BHS didn't even love CJW, he just manipulated her because he could easily read through her.  He didn't understand why CJW could easily forgive him.  BHS didn't deserve to be forgiven. DHS hated himself and didn't have the confidence that he could ever be sincere and loving as a person.   That's why CJW was startled when she heard that DHS forgave JT for what he did to him, but then it turned out to be his strategy to make him give his testimony.  

-DHS only believed that as BHS, he didn't sincerely love CJW.  That's why he broke into tears when he remembered CJW said to him in the flashback on their first date, "You're the only one who doesn't know you like me."   It is so true!  People surround him could tell and told him that they knew DHS/BHS loved CJW:  Do Hae Soo, KMJ, BHS Omma.  Growing up,  he was told that he was incapable of feeling anything including love.   (Perhaps his therapist told him so)  Finally, he was convinced as he himself read the inscription/name of his metal workshop and the notebooks, and they were all about CJW.  The name was taken from Greek mythology about a god who had a wife whom he loved dearly.  DHS as BHS had loved his wife sincerely and dearly without him realizing it. 

-DHS:  Whenever I am in front of you, I feel nervous.  I'm afraid I'll make a mistake.

-CJW:  Me too.

I think the dialog is meaningful.  Innately they both admitted that they had made mistakes in the past, DHS for hiding his true identity and CJW for not trusting DHS.  They had learnt from their mistakes.  

-Even though the drama doesn't answer all our questions, I think the writer did an awesome job in writing such meaningful dialogs and phrases.  The script is nicely written altogether. 

-I like how they started with the kissing scene and ended with another kissing in the metal workshop.  It was all tied up nicely and planned out.  

-Eun Ha to DHS:  "I like you more than anything in the whole world"  answered all DHS's question when she was born.  When DHS was worried whether or not his daughter would like him (because he felt that he was like Hephaistos, the ugliest god and people hated him because of his nasty behavior)  DHS was worried that his daughter might not like him for who he was.

Side note:  I was wondering why LJG, out of the many scenes, posted the scene when he said, "I'll do it twice then, we'll have another wedding" on his IG story?    :coolshades:

Can't believe the drama has ended.  It was a wonderful ride with all of you, and I really enjoyed reading your insights, recaps, thoughts, posts and hilarious gifs.  Thank you all. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

I don’t like amnesia, but probably it served as a purpose to give HS a restart for his relationship with JW, not as a pretender which he claimed himself to be. And probably the feeling of losing JW when he thought JW died it’s quite traumatic for him, added by his wound on the head all caused him amnesia. 

Anyway KMJ is very funny, how he tricked  HS that JW was coming, told hae soo that JW behaving as a saint and commenting on how HS want to make JW’s happy by catching serial killer as a gift LOL

• Like 7
  • Love 1

@jeonghyang and everyone else thanks for making this a great forum. Sorry I was inactive as I am busy with work conference.

But very quickly like to say--glad it ended on a good night. Not surprised on some of the open ended stuff.

The last 2 episodes were a doozy.

-The real BSH being killed. Our ML getting amnesia and losing the last 15 yrs of his life but slowly getting some memories back. Though the body remembers and some aspects his instincts--sadly the egg tarts, foods he can make he doesn't remember knowing to make, etc.

-Eun Ha so sweet and kind. Sensitive to not upset mom to draw her beloved dad in family picture but upset her fave person in world is on vacation without them. When she hugged him hello and asked for a gift. Her answer was precious saying HE was her gift. OMG. The child actress is adorbs to boot. The BTS of her with ML and FL were precious.

-BSH parents --dad losing it a bit and the mom serving time. Glad that she told DHS that she noticed DHS was protective of JW to help me realize if his "feelings" he never had before were real or not . I know she always had a soft spot for him.

-JW and DHS omg the last two episodes. The pain she went through to want to have DHS remember her and be happily every after must have been tough.

Her colleagues wanting that and good things for Hae Soo too. Very sweet.

-MJ and HS, open ended but it is ok. If they immediately got together would have been weird. Glad they are close and talk. The chat she had with JW about being freed and doing something and having less guilt while protecting Eun Ha. She killed a man, though even in self defense is a tough matter.

Thanks to all in this forum, see you around. 

I have to go to my conference now.

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I usually don't watch melo cause there's always so much crying but the chemistry between LJK and MCW was hard to ignore. Props to the both of them! While I get the logic behind why DHS had to have amnesia, I was hoping there would be a few more happy scenes with our couple reunited. 

In my own epilogue, haesoo comes home just in time to attend her little bro's 2nd wedding. We'll also have a reunion dinner, special guest KMJ and eunha is soon to be an older sister. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Everyone has already said what I wanted to say. After watching the episode again I think I can understand a bit why they ended it that way. Even though their love for each other was real their relationship was still built on lies. But now there will be no more lies and it will be pure. He will remember everything slowly they have assured us and by the time he will remember everything he would already be certain that he truly loves his family and vice versa. So he will be no longer be afraid of losing anything. 

I loved how both their first and last kiss was in workshop. That was the best he could give us of Moojin and Haesooi I guess. Haesoo needs time and dorky Reporter is good at waiting so there's not much worry. Even though I am really disappointed that Haesoo couldn't spend more time with her brother's family. The only time she met Eunha she got stabbed.

I especially liked the directing of this drama. The whole cast did a fantastic job. I had missed Moon Chaewoon on screen. Innocent Man is the first and last drama I have watched of her. Couldn't get into Princess Man and Good Doctor for some reason. Maybe I will give them a chance again. After her continuous flops thankfully she has a drama which is successful. I loved her transformation from police officer to wife. When she was in her working she was tough but then when she returned home she became a sweet and loving mother and wife. Once again Lee Joon GI proved his acting prowess. His nuanced portrayal of DHS made DHS a character that I will remember for a long time. It was not an easy character as he doesn't always shows his emotions so his eyes really played big part in showing what he is thinking. 

It was fun discussing with you all. Let us we all hope that we get a perfect husband like Do Hyunsoo minus fake identity and serial killings past :lol:

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, deandraluv said:

Side note:  I was wondering why LJG, out of the many scenes, posted the scene when he said, "I'll do it twice then, we'll have another wedding" on his IG story?   

It's totally trap.. hahaha. Big catch!

2 hours ago, deandraluv said:

-Even though the drama doesn't answer all our questions, I think the writer did an awesome job in writing such meaningful dialogs and phrases.  The script is nicely written altogether. 

Indeed. The writernim is brilliant with all of those hidden meaning in every scene and movement!

I could say that this is beautiful ending rather than happy ending :phew:

Proper ending.

48 minutes ago, -Love Blossom- said:

Everyone has already said what I wanted to say. After watching the episode again I think I can understand a bit why they ended it that way. Even though their love for each other was real their relationship was still built on lies. But now there will be no more lies and it will be pure. He will remember everything slowly they have assured us and by the time he will remember everything he would already be certain that he truly loves his family and vice versa. So he will be no longer be afraid of losing anything. 

And because at the beginning he already said that marriage is just formality, i give up my hope that they will remarried under Do Hyun Soo identity. Before then, i keep telling myself, rest asurred Baek Eun Ha will be Do Eun Ha but suddenly turn out become Cha Eun Ha. Lol. Ah it's so refreshing.

:headbang:

57 minutes ago, debbsthebee said:

In my own epilogue, haesoo comes home just in time to attend her little bro's 2nd wedding. We'll also have a reunion dinner, special guest KMJ and eunha is soon to be an older sister

OMG this is so much fun to be real :D

Im with you.

• Like 12

“The cruel truth that shakes the perfect trust.

This was the quote written in the main poster of drama. At first, I thought it’s about Do Hyun-su pretending to be Baek Hee-sung to hide his past identity. But when Cha Ji-won learned the truth, no trust was broken between them. The trust even made them stronger. So as I look back into this same quote, I wonder what does really mean? What is the cruel truth was will shake the perfect trust? Then again, we fast forward to the final episode, and then I realized something about Hyun-su and Ji-won’s relationship. The “perfect trust” meant by this quote was Hyun-su himself – his perfectly curated cover-up life… an identity built on his own wall. Hyun-su literally learned to trust slowly in the process. Day by day, he fights himself, doubts himself, and finally, trusts himself. But the cruel truth remains still. He is Do Min-seok’s son. He fakes identity and deceives his wife and child. He borrows the life of another person and he doesn’t deserve to be forgiven. It’s the undeniable truth that will forever shake his already fragile self-worth.

I genuinely didn’t mind the amnesia plot even though it’s overused in dramas already. I thought they made a tasteful take on Hyun-su’s temporary amnesia. It’s a good way of letting Hyun-su look back on his old life without the Hee-sung parts. He was the scarred boy from the countryside who’s father was a murderer. He was the heroic brother who took all the blame for his sister’s crime. He is the neighborhood kid who was bullied by rumormongers. It may be painful for Hyun-su to revisit those parts of his life as if it just happened yesterday, but it’s needed for him to rediscover who he really is – without the help of Ji-won. The show didn’t go full-on amnesia mode, though. Hyun-su still remembers snippets of his life as Hee-sung – his hand can’t function well without his wedding ring (which is super sweet I must say); he keeps on buying egg tarts whenever he passes by a shop (I cried here ok); and lastly, he keeps on thinking about Ji-won. All these things made me forgive the amnesia route.

On another point.... The drama was about Hyun-su’s journey to self-discovery. He slowly discovered his capability of having sincere emotions. He learned that he also knows how to genuinely care for another person. But then the amnesia happens and he’s back to square one. He started doubting himself again. It would have been better if he closed the Hee-sung chapter of his life with awareness and not clouded by amnesia. One more thing, Hyun-su should feel the rewards of all his sacrifices wholeheartedly. He tried to protect Ji-won and Eun-ha at all costs because he finally realized his love for them was real. He was once a no-namer with a fake family name. He didn’t have a personality but he had Ji-won and Eun-ha. But even that character development was taken away from him by the amnesia.

How about you? What’s your take on the amnesia route?

Overall, this drama is a masterpiece. It’s one of the best drama thrillers I have watched. It kept me interested from start to finish, which is rare because sometimes we all figured out what will happen next by the time we reach a drama’s second half. The main actors – Lee Joon-gi, Moon Chae-won, Kim Ji-hoon, Jang Hee-jin – were all amazing and deserving of all the praise. Kim Ji-hoon pretty much slept through the first half of the series but man, the moment he woke up until his last appearance, he was memorable!

my full reaction here: https://wp.me/p8yFfI-dtX

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

The hint in the beginning of the ep 16 when DHS said it would be ok if they did twice wedding.. CJW married with the man called BHS..in the paper... So they implicitly should have another wedding...or maybe just marriage register to make it formal...so CJW will have husband name Do Hyun Su and Eun Ha can get her name Do Eun Ha:)
I think the writer is very brilliant to give us a wedding ceremony scene, although it was in the past, but surely it is a nice gift for fans..

Sigh..I will  miss FOE..my withdrawal syndrome is already started...

And will miss this forum too... It is a very nice time to read all of your comments.. I think I have not follow k-drama like this for years..and because of FOE I get back to this lovely forum

Thank you FOE for this wonderful experience and to all soompi-ers. You are the best:foryou:

• Like 8

here I'm again - after reading many posts on twitter, insta, internet - gosh! I miss them...this whip smart hybrid of thriller, complex, tense, gem kind of drama anchored by stand-out performances from LJK( hands down) and MCW ( wonderful, delicate, beautiful, elegant actress) is going to stay with me for so looong...I usually watch Korean dramas, but it takes 30 min to check them on daily basis, well...FOE pierced my heart - I watched it religiously from the very beginning to the very end... Now my Wed and Th's evenings without my fav drama routine will feel a bit empty...

Me next Wednesday :weary:

tumblr_mg45wdTLYC1rflli6o1_500.gif

• Like 7

Moon Chae Won Describes Her Experience Filming “Flower Of Evil,” Working With Lee Joon Gi, And More

70d91019ca4147ec9d255e0249abec20.jpeg?s=

Sep 24, 2020
by J. K

After the finale of tvN’s popular drama “Flower of Evil” on September 23, Moon Chae Won talked about her time working on the show in an interview.

“I think I put my heart into this project more so than any other work,” she said. “I was very fond of it, and so I did my best to portray the role of Cha Ji Won and her emotions as truthfully as possible. That’s why it was an exhausting and difficult process in part, but I’m satisfied because the end result was rewarding since I did my best. I’m grateful to all the cast and crew, but I’m particularly grateful to Director Kim Chul Kyu. When he hugged me after the end of filming, it felt very bittersweet so I cried a lot.”

moon-chae-won1.jpg

In the drama, Moon Chae Won performed the role of Cha Ji Won, who was determined to find out the real identity of the husband she’d loved for 14 years, played by Lee Joon Gi. The actress was asked to describe her character and share how she prepared for the role.

She said, “I think that Ji Won is someone who’s the same inside and out. She’s honest about her emotions and she’s very aware about how precious people are. So I think that when I was preparing for the role, I tried to become someone like her. While I was acting, I put an emphasis on trying to portray how sincere she is.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1427529wpp/moon-chae-won-describes-her-experience-filming-flower-of-evil-working-with-lee-joon-gi-and-more

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Veronica Park said:

How about you? What’s your take on the amnesia route?

When I was watching the episode I didn't understand why DHS lost his memories but as I continued watching, I understood that he didn't lose all of his memories, just those ones about his life as BHS. Even then, the things that he was shown to remember weren't the things about him really deceiving people, or at least those weren't the ones we were shown if he did remember them. Instead, what we were shown was the snippets of him living as BHS when it involved CJW. So rather than him living the moments when he was pretty much hiding himself, he was remembering those rare and few moments when he was actually true to himself and the relationship.

So then I came around to the amnesia plot and figured that there would be no other way that DHS could actually be himself after everything that happened. After the car accident originally happened, DHS was thrust into the life of BHS and was made to adopt his appearance and personality and was always on edge that someone somewhere was trying to find him because he was essentially a wanted criminal. Once he woke up after the bullet to the head, he was no longer a DHS that was on the run, he was the DHS that was being praised yet pitied upon. It was like his whole worldview had shifted at that moment since he was no longer on the run and didn't have to hide his true self. 

Like others have mentioned, DHS and CJW's relationship was built on lies and even though DHS tried to rectify those lies, CJW told him that they should only focus on the positives. Perhaps she didn't really want to know or decided to just accept everything at face value. But with DHS now not remembering any of the lies that he told CJW that once started their relationship, she was able to learn the real DHS and able to get a full understanding of the person that she actually married, something that I deem wouldn't have been possible without him losing those 15 years that he lived as BHS.

As much as an amnesia plot isn't liked (I just keep remembering how in Boys over Flowers, I think the Japanese version, it was literally in like the last episode or something but like full on amnesia and a Chinese drama, Your Highness Class Monitor did the same thing), I think it was justified in this case. Like CJW told Eun Ha, DHS never actually lived freely in his life. Even if he were living as BHS, he was under the control of the Baek family and was still a wanted criminal. In the end, I did like their use. I liked that they didn't make him lose all of his memories and rather they reset DHS back to as if BHS had never happened. Sure he'll probably come to learn about that over time and all of the ordeals, but now CJW and DHS have built an even stronger foundation that won't waver no matter what because this time it's a foundation built on complete honest and trust.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

Finale tidbits. I 'am still struggling to put into words how I feel but I 'll dissect it slowly over a couple of posts

I want to say Yoo Jung Hee's message really hit home with the FINALE

“I wanted to share the message that even where evil has been buried, flowers can still bloom. I hope that it can become a drama in which people wonder what happens to the lead characters after it’s over. I want them to think once in a while, ‘I wonder how they’re living now?'”

Second I found these pics on twitter with takeaways from episode 16

eeac1ab3b088f30760dfb50e58e0a6d5c0c54fbe

The parallels between episode 5 and Episode 16. I like that this time he will be the one to pursue her. CJW is the one who has done the heavy lifting in sustaining their relationship with her unwavering love. 

da39afbe10ef215ad2b7bfc360f020b36b87e1f3

The last one was the one that hit the hardest. The reference to Greek mythology. The story of Hephaestus(except the ugly part:D) and Aphrodite(Venus). Do Hyun Soo loves Cha Ji Won so much he named his workshop after her:tears:

9b8d4a15b89bf8c407eaa1ee33a2b337eb9cf67b

Pic credits to @fangirlshenanigans (on twitter)

• Like 4
  • Love 8

they are not divorcing and hated each other for their faults...and neither of them died that they have to mourn the ending of their marriage..that pain of losing each other in this way is unbearable. he needs all the time to become DHS again after 15 years being BHS. He needs to learn to be the happily married man and a dad as DHS. That’s what the finale is all about. I truly love how the production dealt with real human Behavioral issues. He’s not having a total amnesia, and need to find the right word for this condition (lol) coz he remembers everyone else but he just cannot relate to that 15 years being BHS. As real DHS does not have the capability to be emphatic. He’s blocked that feeling I think when the dad tried to build his masterpiece through him (he was still a WIP of his dad) so being a family man is a strange concept to him. Even my husband cried at such deep scriptwriting. There are some production flaws but the acting from whole cast is not one of them. This shall remain as one of my many favourites. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

More finale tidbits

Do Hyun Soo (2005) was such a fox. He didnt show her how much he liked her but was keeping a journal about her likes and dislikes. The second part is so relatable:D lol. law and medical students can relate to this. Or even legal and medical practitioners. Its had to enjoy legal dramas when you are a lawyer or a medical drama when you are a doctor. You end up picking up flaws instead of enjoying them as entertainment.

• Like 7
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know if it was mentioned already but I saw a video that pointed out how the ending camera scene of the finale paralleled that of the ending of the first episode. In the first episode it was DHS, CJW, and Eun Ha having fun upstairs while the camera went down to the workshop and then to the basement where KMJ was tied up. In the finale, the camera went in the opposite direction beginning in the workshop where DHS and CJW just restarted their relationship and going to the second floor that's their home.

Looking back on it, I really liked the small details like that that I guess we only end up discovering once the drama is over.

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

I loveee the whole episode 16. It’s like watching Do Hyun Soo falling in love all over again for Cha Ji Won. No matter what happened in the past, give him another life and he will still find his way back to Ji Won. And yep this time he can love her honestly, as his true self, no need to fake anything.  

Watching how he smiled looking at her catching the rain in front of the apartment made me smiled... watching him starting to remember their first date made me cried so much (ok, i never escaped from tears everytime that In My Heart OST starts playing). 

Of the 1:18 Whole episode i probably cried a good 45 minutes lol i have never bawled ny eyes so much watching an episode of kdrama. That crying scene in the car... i think MCW poured her heart in this scene and delivered the most believable crying in that scene. I’ll be honest I sometimes dont buy her crying in FOE but in that car scene I can feel her pain.. it is so hurtful to realize that the hope she has been clinging into is slipping away and that they’ll just be hurting if they dont move on...

LJG performance is brilliant... i lovee all the micro expression he has, how he acts with his eyes and how he can use his face muscle (especially around the cheek and around the eyes) to act omg i never loved LJG but after FOE he officially becomes my #1 favorite actor i think he is just so brilliant in acting!  

The only thing I wished they do more is giving us extra 3-5 minutes of the happy family time after the family hug.... even a collage of photos of their life post that hug... it’ll make me live in the happy momments longer. But im so happy there is no sad ending at all.  

Really appreciate all the crew behind this drama. We know they all work so hard for it, JG promotes this drama so hard, MCW said She has poured her heart more in this drama compared to her other project. I really really wished their hardwork is getting recognized and for them to win some awards cause theirr performance is trully brilliant. 

Feeling sooo empty now I havent been able to move on from FOE. Needing some strength to move on Lol FOE is definitely the best drama in 2020!!!!

• Like 9
  • Love 1

FOE is the Best Drama 2020 for me..I haven't watch IONTBO and PBG new drama because my focus on FOE..

I like everything in this drama..

Same with you @Lotuzea1, LJG is not my favorite actor..

In the beginning, I was also reluctant to watch FOE

But thank God that I take right decision..

For the ending, it is a very satisfying ending for me.. everything is wrap up nicely (maybe just missing one thing about DHS childhood story..the writer should give us clear explanation, maybe just with some dialogues will be enough)

I luvvv how DHS started to develop his love to CJW..and moreover who could resist from Eun Ha charm??
So this time, DHS will be the one that chasing her..after so many hardships that CJW had..it is soo true what Hae So said..when you experience soo much difficulties, it means that there will be a happy thing waiting for you..

I loove that finale episode is for wrapping all of the relation things..I can not imagine if we get the cliff scene in the middle 16 episode and they will finish this drama abruptly.. so the amnesia thing is okay for me..it is used for a reasonable and wonderful story ending:please:

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Honestly I cried at Moo Jin's phone conversation with Hae Su. That scene showed me that even though they are now far away from each other, there is still hope for them to start anew. It was pretty nice that Hae Su is the one calling Moo Jin over the phone. 

Of course I feel sad that they did not get back together right away, but I was touched with Moo Jin's reaction when he spoke with Hae Su. I felt that he is able to love her more sincerely especially when Hae Su openly communicates with him, and also maybe he's receiving a lot of kindness from her as well.

• Like 8
  • Love 2