[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

17 hours ago, deandraluv said:

Side note:  I was wondering why LJG, out of the many scenes, posted the scene when he said, "I'll do it twice then, we'll have another wedding" on his IG story

When I saw this, I literally screaming that my sister hit me for being noisy, can't do anything though, that's makes me ship them and then I see LJG highlight, I start screaming again lol

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Wiggle 3

It hard to say goodbye to a masterpiece drama.This drama will remind in my heart.

1.Why Do Hyun Su get amnesia.I think the writer want DHS start his life from new born person.He can feel love, emphatic, sorry, etc.Now CJW his turning point his life.His new life start from CJW love and acceptance.totally their relationship is true love.Whatever happen in DHS life is clearly restart .Now he live as freely person (as CJW wish),has a good reputation and has a lovely family who love and accept just the way he is. I  so in love with this family.Many many saranghae.

2.CJW is strong woman.She can let go her happiness for the DHS happiness.She just want DHS set freely.Can find what he really need in his love.And in the end DHS find his home.CJW and Run Ha is his home

3..I crying like river when Eun Ha ask CJW is her parent divorce.Is such break my heart.Poor Eunha.At the end scene we get so touchy scene.What a warm family.Eunha Love her dad very much and DHS also love her daughter.Even he doesn't remember Eunha but he still remember Egg start.What a lovely daddy.

4.Kim Mo Jin is so funny.How he can say that Do Have Soo prison suit is nice.So funny. Kim Mo Jin really love Do Hyun Soo unconditionally.He can wait Do Hyun Soo until she comeback.

5. Do HAe Soo can feel freely.She really feel guilty to DHS.But now the world know that Do Hyun Su accidentally kill village foreman.She can feel release because she already paid her deeds. She can go to a new place she love.

6. Gong Mi Ja paid for her crime support his psycho son.

7.I feel pity for Baek Man Wo.He is bad person because his son and must pay to be crazy.He really love BHS. 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

“Flower Of Evil” Actor Kim Ji Hoon Reveals Everything About His Drastic Transformation For The Role

Talk about dedication!

3FA1uVX3nDinVBglLOIfycCsUxgTpR0qoW5LhpyP

Actor Kim Ji Hoon, who actually became quite well-known among K-Pop fans for his uncanny resemblance to ASTRO‘s Cha Eunwoo

Spoiler

wLS8nhx4eQz7P5joTjVAihS42scP3mBOlTjhOkWC

… is currently reaching new heights with his acting in tvN‘s thriller K-Drama, Flower of Evil. As the main villain of the series, Kim Ji Hoon rocking that “creepy” vibe — with a lean, mean physique and long curly locks.

Spoiler

PluEvWicz8-krO6HJnFBSR1Uun5TDHIWV2xubNbE

Kim Ji Hoon began building this look since 2019. While at first it started off as shaping up for a photoshoot, it eventually led to creating the most suitable visual for the role of a serial killer.

In a string of posts on his Instagram, Kim Ji Hoon actually tracked his incredibly dedicated transformation. As early as January 2019, Kim Ji Hoon boasted a rather modern-chic visual.

Spoiler

PvjeCwReu_nBJWFQtXaZ1gYtoioO4PeuUWvv8ob1

Toward the end of 2019 though, Kim Ji Hoon had grown his hair out — taking on a slightly more rustic aura.

pRHXn_BWYmdmYotTAP8yxt8nE47X9PZ6PifqlSDe

Around March 2020, as he showed off his totally eye-candy pictorials, Kim Ji Hoon revealed that he had been on an intermittent fasting diet since February to shed off some extra pounds.

Spoiler

caQbvNkaADnGm4tm_Ua5GfyaPbET4G4yPMPuTtpjvN8QNoa0VH8b2wWg1gsGH_LmXHKZ3MzcY-zsqoncTZirkSxKP2MHHUcJ=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365

Kim Ji Hoon in March 2020. | @jiraishin99/Instagram

"If you’re trying intermittent fasting for the first time, make sure to follow the 8:16 hour eating schedule. And make sure in those 8 hours you do eat, you eat all the calories and nutrients that you would need in a day. Otherwise, it’s going to be exhausting… This worked for me because I found it easier than trying to eat three meals a day."

— Kim Ji Hoon

Aiming for a “slim fit” figure, Kim Ji Hoon said he kept a relatively strict fasting and exercising schedule — even after the photoshoot. He even shared that he dropped in the total percentage body fat from 10.3% to 6.2% in three months!

Spoiler

MHJheXn6UWYxeLDl7p68Z3srdHzaIxlmvn2Np8Re

Throughout July 2020, with Flower of Evil well into production, Kim Ji Hoon managed to maintain the dark-and-mysteriously sexy vibe! Looking sharp and in-character, he shared that he “aims to stay looking this sophisticated” as it has been bringing in a lot of compliments.

Spoiler

Hk1iXsMYl51uovhFz3XLqC6c4eNah4kTNqf2VYlo

Since then, Kim Ji Hoon has been captivating the viewers with his unbelievably realistic portrayal of the character. K-Drama fans, who remain shook at this never-seen-before side of Kim Ji Hoon…

Spoiler

okeSAXm28taY8Suu1d7UYg7MyLB0O3GKG4dkBzqM6YBNDYWKvFXTvbbd-4ytwJyvJboseBpNRaViomh1ke5VelrgFobhIj-_uA=w32-fSoften=1,100,0-rp-e365

… can’t stop praising him for the sheer amount of dedication he has put into the role!

TAYbIGyTZLZLWzEGaM-rTH65zr8tEQw2HEgDZiYt

Check out Kim Ji Hoon in Flower of Evil here:

Spoiler

Source: Koreaboo

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

Sorry I have a question about ep 16.

When ji won visited hae soo in jail, hae soo said that after meeting ji won, she started having a belief that whatever suffering she had to go through, was to prepare herself to receive more (happiness) in the future. 

The next line of the dialogue is something I am curious about. From my understanding of Korean, I thought what she said was, "that's why for cha jiwon, I hope u suffer just a little more" 

But all the translations translated her dialogue as "even so, for chai ji won, I wish u would suffer a little less". 

Does anyone know if the translation "I hope u suffer less" is correct? 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

What a ride !

Me during ep 16

giphy.gif

The egg tart scene started it all.... :cry:

Honestly I felt a bit conflicted about the episode. I hated that the amnesia trope was used in this drama, even though I can see what the writer tried to achieve. I wish she had gone another route, but I am glad that we got sort of a happy ending. Do Hyun Su had a chance to start over and get to know himself without all the lies from his past. Poor Cha Ji Won and Eun Ha had to go through so much, though.

Still I wish that we had gotten an epilogue and more happy scenes in the end.

I trust though that Cha Ji Won and Do Hyun Su got their second wedding, and that the story came full circle.

A big thank you to all of you who voted in the FOE polls and to everyone who commented. I'll see you around!

:dorakiss:

And remember: if you have event and/or poll ideas, do not hesitate to reach out to me @partyon and @Lmangla - your resident Event Organizers :kiss_wink:

• Like 4
  • Love 7

More finale tidbits

Hae Soo noona with her memorable quotes

2674051063bd81ba1cd887eaa8a54386c65e9fa1

The strongest siblings in the world. Now they dont have to wander through life alone.They have Moo Jin, Cha Ji Won and Eun Ha on their side

174b4d9e52411d9f7ca5617e16d0b60735032c8e

More Hyun Soo notes on Cha Jiwon. And he made himself believe he never felt love for her-_-. Boy was whipped from day one. Its good he kept notes now that he has to build new memories with her.

Photo credits: @fangirlshenanigans (twitter)

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

My last thoughts

Misdiagnosis can be fatal sometimes. Its is the responsibility of every physician to treat patients as to what they are suffering from. It can be mental, physical or emotional. These kind of mistakes can be avoided but when they happen, they prolong the patient's suffering and the suffering extends to loved ones as well as to the society.

Hyun Soo was misunderstood, misjudged, prejudiced against, stigmatized  and forced into a frame that doesnt fit his real self since childhood. His brokenness can not be fixed by simply saying "I am sorry" "I love you" or kisses. Therapy can only help to a certain extent.A month or year or even decades of therapy is not enough.Its a lifelong journey of learning and unlearning aloy of things.But now that he had gotten a second chance (clean criminal record, blank memory). He can now create new memories and hopefully only regain the good memories he shared with Ji Won & Eun Ha. He can also enjoy their love and love them back freely without second guessing himself.

Last beautiful fanmade videos from youtube

I know award ceremonies involve a lot of politics and there are alot of factors that are taken to recognise and award the artists and film and drama productions. But I sincerely hope this drama wont be shafted aside even just nomination would be wonderful. For me personally as far as the actresses go, in the remaining award ceremonies that have yet to take place this year. I would easily put MCW in the top five. Her contenders being Kim Hee Ae of World of the Married, Seo Ye Ji of IONTBO,  Lee Min Jung of Once Again(because of ratings) and Son Ye Jin of Crash Landing on You(because of ratings. And if they award dramas from last year (Gong Hyo Jin from When the Camellia Blooms). For actors, LJK has tougher competition, there are just so many. If he lost out, the main reason again would be ratings not acting.His acting has been stellar. Although he has won "best actor award" for "Two Weeks" and "Joseon Gunman" at APAN awards and Seoul International Awards even though the ratings were just so-so. So you never know. 

Anyway, its been a thrilling emotional ride and it was great hanging with you all. Bye bye 

tenor.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

I LOVED the ending. This is one of the dramas that will stay with me for a long time. Not only because I admire LJKs acting. 
I know some are not satisfy with the story but as I watched the final episode, I realized that the whole story was about DHS finding his true self. He’s childhood got robbed  by his father. His teenage years got robbed by the town foreman and his adulthood got robbed by BHS and his parents. In away his whole identity was stolen. Throughout the show he repeats that he “needs Cha Jiwon” .  After his s sister  she’s his anchor.  However  I’m glad that the turning-point was once he saw his daughter at the end. Anything else could be an act but not the love between a parent and a child. 
Moojin looking after DHS as he should have done years ago was also a nice touch. I could write so much positive things about this project. The writer made use of every scene I hand thought to be unnecessary.  From Cha Jiwon liking the rain to zooming in on their wedding bands…. And the egg tarts… all of it had a purpose and was significant to the story. Not many productions have this kind of details that carry on the main character until the end.   

• Like 10
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

photo1230195.jpg

Phew..that was a roller coaster ride.  This drama had everything; mystery, angst, bromance, heartbreaking moments and of course, romance.  I love how the romance was woven into a gruesome story about a serial killer.  The juxtaposition of Hee Sung/Hyun Soo romancing his wife Ji Won while he had a prisoner in his basement was brilliantly done.

I would have preferred another episode to give closure to the story of Hyun Soo and Ji Won.  The ending was understandble because Hyun Soo suffered physical and emotional abuse throughout his life and it's not easy for him to erase those bad memories overnight.  It would require a lot of psychiatric help and love of Ji Won to make him whole again.  A three-year timelapse in the future when the viewers are treated to Hyun Soo and Ji Won basking in their happily ever after life, and maybe another baby.....that would be bliss.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 9/25/2020 at 8:49 AM, Lotuzea1 said:

Feeling sooo empty now I havent been able to move on from FOE. Needing some strength to move on Lol FOE is definitely the best drama in 2020!!!!

Me too.. I got some strenght from Junki oppa IG and rewatch his acttractive side in knowing brothers. I cant even remember his age, he looks so young.:dorashakes:

Well his IG post quite bother me haha why he had a lot of Eunha eomma pictures together? hahaha it seems odd. He really enjoys foe fame? Or he really enjoys his time with MCW? Lol

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

EVENT : Re-watch Party with the theme Revenge

Chingus, by popular demand we are bringing you a second season of re-watch parties. This time the theme is revenge! Yes, you heard it!

BPcT8.gif

The dramas chosen for this season are:

• Money Flower (2017)
  • Secret (Love) (2013)
  • The Innocent Man (2012)  WITH MOON CHAE WON :kiss_wink:

For more information visit the event thread

re: @Lmangla

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

@jeonghyang and everyone here... w/the drama finally ending on a happy note i think we're kinda satisfied! the actors esp the leads did a gr8 job! kudos to LJG, MCW & KJH for their convincing roles in it! this drama was full of surprised indeed! :)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I just finished binge-watching this show over the past 24 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed it even when Hyun Soo and Ji Won were struggling through the deception in their relationship. The emotional confrontations and conflicts were very nicely done and deeply moving. I have watched Moon Chae Won in other ships that I really liked but I find her wonderfully matched as a wife with Lee Joongi’s Hyun Soo. For me they were sincerely believable as a young married couple. Very well done indeed. 

013BYm.gif

As far as the final episode. I actually think it was a quite appropriate end to a solemn and emotional crime story. I can’t imagine things just being happy without a proper time skip of six months to a year at least. Otherwise, it would be too artificial considering the circumstances. I’m really just happy that Hyun Soo, Ji Won and Eun Ha got a chance to start anew.  I keep thinking how will Hyun Soo’s reputation affect his business in a place like SK where people treat a person like a criminal even when they have been proven innocent. What about the fact that he’s the son of a serial killer and Eun Ha is a grand daughter of a serial killer? 

I’m okay with not knowing the details of the difficulties they will face but I definitely didn’t expect numerous happy scenes after an ordeal like that. The reality is that Hyun Soo will probably get to live his life freely now, without pretense, for the first time in his life since his father was exposed as a serial killer. This is a new chapter for him and his family. I know they will be fine though since they have been through the worse already and intend to face the future together.

This is definitely a favorite of mines now and one I intend to rewatch. I also appreciate that the OTP had a lot of powerful scenes throughout the drama that showed their commitment to each other. Hyun Soo might think he doesn’t have feelings but what I see from him is not an act. One of my favorite scenes was the one on the bridge where he was crying and apologizing to Ji Won in their first conversation after she openly acknowledged she knew he was Do Hyun Soo. More than happy scenes at the end, this couple has shown me throughout their journey that no matter how distressing their situation is, they still love and protect each other. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

Hi Chingus, I already said my goodbyes but had to reappear to share some tidbits. Brace yourselves, its a LONG read but there are alot more insights that were not translated or only bits of it were translated by soompi, other news sources and fans. Here is the first part:

Lee Joon Gi’s post-Flower of Evil interview (2020/09/29) - Part 1

Thoughts on finishing Flower of Evil

584223b483b3074216156debcc6f73dc8ae32a90.jpg

I always get mixed feelings when I finish a project, but now even more so after finishing Flower of Evil. I feel relieved that I finished this race well; fulfilled that I took the weight I initially felt and channeled it into bringing [the drama] to a successful conclusion; and empty after saying goodbye to everyone I worked with on set through thick and thin. On top of that, doing this interview right after I finished it, I start missing everything again, which makes the feelings I have even more complicated. I feel so lonely, but I’m also grateful for so many things right now.

Why did you choose this drama?

When I first read the script for Flower of Evil, I thought, ‘I am not capable enough to handle this project.’ This character is equal parts a loving father, a devoted husband, and a man who’s hiding a sad and brutal past. So before I made my decision, I kept asking myself, ‘Is actor Lee Joon Gi capable enough to handle this role now?’ I wondered if I could convince viewers, and what if the ‘colors’ so unique to actor Lee Joon Gi that people had seen in my previous works came out too strong, upsetting the overall balance of the drama? I worried so much.

Fortunately, I had about two weeks until I had to make the decision. I read the script over and over again, picturing in my head how this was going to turn out. Then it occurred to me, ‘Maybe it’s destiny that sent this drama to me.’ I also wanted to make this drama a turning point in my acting career.

Before we got started, Chaewon and I said things like, ‘If we do a good job on this project, we can probably pioneer this new genre ‘suspense melodrama’ by bringing into it emotions that are unique to us.’ The talk we had further convinced me that I should do this drama.

In the end, for me, choosing Flower of Evil was a bold decision to make. I was so curious about this future yet to be painted and imagined what it’d be like. I was so inspired by the curiosity and imagination I had that I could barely contain myself.

Before the shoot began, I met writer Yoo Jung-hee and we talked a lot. She was so passionate about the drama and explained all the hints, clues, and emotions contained in scene after scene. This helped me a lot in building my character. I saw how immensely dedicated she was to this project, so I wanted to reciprocate by giving a really good performance. I am deeply grateful to the writer for having complete faith in me and giving me the chance to live as my character Do Hyun Soo.

(On the concern that Flower of Evil might remind people of his role in Two Weeks)

Actually, after I made my decision, the thing that concerned the director, the writer, and the production staff most was, ‘What if Flower of Evil reminds people of Two Weeks and feels familiar?’ In the latter, I also depicted a desperate father’s love. There my character gets pushed to the very edge and I had such a tough time while immersed in my role. But everyone told me, ‘No, this [Flower of Evil] is different.’

Despite all that, I don’t even remember how many times I went over the script, over and over again. Of course, there weren’t any scenes that felt too familiar. On the contrary, the unique and originally-written situations in Flower of Evil captured my imagination, and I found them so appealing.

Then I started to define the overall ‘tone and manner’ of the drama based on two words, ‘Truth’ and ‘Love.’ Doing this really put to rest those worries I initially had. Focusing on the original story line of Flower of Evil and the narrative revolving around this character Do Hyun Soo, I could create a unique character of my own.

What did you focus particularly on in your portrayal of Baek Hee Seong and Do Hyun Soo?

In portraying these two sides of the character, I put a great deal of effort into creating the reactions he shows in his interactions with various other characters. Since Do Hyunsoo cannot feel emotions, I thought every small expression and reaction mattered and it would make each scene powerful and convincing. Of course, it wasn’t something I could do alone just by doing research and lots of thinking. That’s why I kept sharing ideas with the director, the writer, and even the director of photography (cinematographer) who kept a close watch on me, as well as every single one of the cast. If poorly done, Do Hyunsoo could have easily been a cliché and a simple, emotionless psychopath. So I paid attention to and focused on small details.

It was so hard, but it was the director who worked the hardest. Hahaha. He really went out of his way to communicate with his actors and kept all the emotions in balance, keeping them perfectly under control. For my part, I focused particularly on rehearsals going over the previous scenes we did and working with my co-stars to find the emotional flows (continuity) and emotional highs and lows that would look convincing. Personally, I am very grateful to Chaewon for helping me come up with more diverse reactions.

Without the hard work put in by all these actors, who together delivered such an amazing ensemble performance, the synergy that enabled those explosive emotions in the latter half would not have been possible.Instead of monitoring how I acted on set, I tried to watch the drama from viewers’ point of view. I put a lot of thought into how I should convey the variations of the emotions Hyunsoo feels so they’d feel even more painful and poignant. I tried to make those emotions look not far-fetched, but convincing. So I put lots of thought into each and every single thing I created. Of course, it was really hard. Hahaha.

I actually had a bit of trouble understanding the bouts of hyperventilation Hyunsoo experiences until I read the scripts for the later episodes. I even jokingly said, ‘Since when did Hyunsoo have this chronic disease?’ It wasn’t clear to me so I had trouble getting the details right. I could only guess ‘Hyunsoo is going through some changes,’ ‘Maybe he’s experiencing physical changes as the emotions he’s feeling in his brain start to unlock.’ I think, in the end, those [physical symptoms] allowed me to effectively express the emotional changes in Hyunsoo. In fact, during the filming, I came up with different versions of those scenes of him hyperventilating. I even thought of seizures, but decided it’d be too much so didn’t end up using them.

How did you prepare to create this multifaceted character Do Hyun Soo?

Baek Hee Seong had to look natural as a metal craft artist. Before the shoot started, I pictured in my head how he should look by watching some metalworking videos on YouTube that might be helpful for my performance. I also met a real-life metal craft artist and learned some details in person, so I could use them to make me look like a real metal craft artist.

In portraying a warm, loving father, I actually improvised a lot. The director left it up to me to try out many different things. So I created a lot of things with Eunha from scratch, for instance, by playing with her. On days when I had scenes with Eunha, I showed up early to work and tried to stay close to her as much as possible. Sometimes, I was exhausted more from having so much fun with Eunha than from working on set. Hahaha.

In portraying a husband, I worked with Chaewon and we exchanged all kinds of ideas in building our characters. Chaewon is so detail-oriented and great at focusing on her emotions. So she helped me fill in a lot of the gaps I left and could have missed. Because of this, as we neared the end of the filming, just thinking about Cha Jiwon alone brought a lump to my throat.

In depicting the life of Do Hyunsoo, I owe my co-stars a lot for the help they gave me. With Seo Hyunwoo, who played Moojin, in particular, we have similar personalities so from the very outset, he helped me a lot in forming my own image of Do Hyunsoo, who lives the life of Baek Heeseong. He’s so great at reacting. I’d been really looking forward to working with him before the shoot began. It turned out, the chemistry between us was even better than I’d expected, so we ended up creating these ‘bromance’ scenes although we didn’t mean to. Hahaha.

Every bit part of the narrative centering on Hyunsoo derives from his relationships with the other characters. That’s why I focused on how to depict those things [relationships] to set my character apart.

How did you approach your role Do Hyun Soo (Baek Hee Seong), and what was your first impression of him?

I actually worried a lot about the scenes where I practice facial expressions in front of the mirror because there are similar scenes in the film ‘Joker.’ So I decided to approach it differently, and it occurred to me, ‘What if I make it look like an AI preparing for the day with a certain purpose in mind?’ It would make the character look a bit creepy as well. But at the same time, I wanted viewers to notice the innocence in this AI that wants to understand human emotions. So a lot of preparation went into those scenes.

My first impression of Do Hyunsoo was that I felt sorry for him. He had an unfortunate upbringing, grew up without getting any love, and suffered mentally from his relationship with his father. Ultimately, what he needed was love. But everyone around him was prejudiced in the way they treated him and those circumstances made Hyunsoo want to escape reality. In the end, Hyunsoo abandoned everything and ran away to protect his sister, the only person who treated him with love. But again, he’s betrayed and hurt by people. To Hyunsoo, living as Baek Heeseong was probably the sweetest offer he’d ever received; the hope that he could live a new life like a human being.

After that, he meets Cha Jiwon and, for the first time in his life, he has his own people he wants to protect. Every step of his journey captured my imagination. As an actor, I was so inspired by the thrills coming from all the emotional details Do Hyunsoo feels and the different relationships he has. On top of that, I had so much fun thinking about the tightrope of this new life Do Hyunsoo is walking and my own interpretations of the different situations that could arise from it. Of course, it was pretty stressful, though. Hahaha.

Was there anything you watched for inspiration in preparing for this two-faced character? What did you do to set Do Hyunsoo apart from other emotionless characters?

I did watch films like Joker and No Country for Old Men for inspiration in order to portray this emotionless character. But in the end, the situations Do Hyunsoo is in are very different from those the others are in. Hyunsoo may be lacking empathy, but he’s innocent at heart. Early into the drama, I kind of based Heeseong’s expressionless face when he talks to others on some of the expressions I watched in No Country for Old Men. However, those are vastly different situations and emotions, so I just focused on the emotions I actually felt on set.

From the very beginning, Do Hyunsoo had to look mysterious, hiding those inner thorns in him. So I talked a lot with the director and discussed with Seo Hyunwoo the kinds of reactions that would make Hyunsoo look colder. But seeing viewers feel sympathy for Hyunsoo way earlier than I’d expected, I wondered if I should have made the character look even harsher. Hahaha. Sure, Hyunsoo lacks emotional empathy, but he’s innocent at heart, which sets him apart from the other emotionless characters.

Another thing that sets Do Hyunsoo apart from other emotionless characters is the fact that he has Jiwon and Eunha. This is how I approached it: He’s been living a lackluster life. Then he meets Jiwon, she gives him endless love, Eunha is born, and he starts learning new emotions without even realizing it.

Hyunsoo’s brain has already started to change so it can feel those things. Yet he needed this strong stimulus – a fear that he might lose someone so precious to him – to recognize the change in himself. That Hyunsoo is such a multifaceted character truly sets him apart. So I factored into my performance the specific moments at which he feels emotions and the fine details of the situations he’s in. All of those things came together making Hyunsoo an even more multifaceted character.

Any difficulty filming demanding action scenes, such as the apartment balcony scene and the fishing spot torture scene?

As many of you know, I enjoy working out regularly, so I didn’t find anything particularly physically demanding. I didn’t feel tired or exhausted. Instead, I was a lot more concerned about how much movement I had to make, or how much action I had to take, to help viewers relate to certain emotions and feelings coming from certain scenes.

Actually, before I got started on this project, I made up my mind to cut down action scenes (fights), which I love doing, to about one tenth of what I normally do. To do the kinds of action scenes I normally do, a lot of work goes into matching movements. So they are very eye-catching and tough. But for this project, I figured such action scenes would not be helpful. This time, I focused more on emotions than action.

As for the scenes where I get brutally pushed around, I didn’t use a stunt double, but actually knocked and threw myself around to make them more relatable to viewers.

How did you prepare for emotional scenes, especially in terms of using your eyes and tone of voice? How happy are you with the result? Any regrets?

This is the first project ever where I did not monitor each and every one of the shots I filmed. I knew so well what my strengths were, but I thought it [monitoring] might distract me from creating details for my character. So this time, I decided to let go a little, shared ideas and rehearsed with the others, and focused on what I had in each given situation. Above all, the director made sure everything was in balance, so I just left it all to the director to give me directions, while concentrating solely on building my own character.

In terms of using my eyes and tone of voice, I tried to not go overboard but keep it toned down. I guess that helped viewers focus more on little details. I think I received positive feedback on my performance, because of the hard work put in by the director, who helped polish things up, the cinematographer, and all the other staff members. I think everyone worked hard and contributed towards this. Thank you very much for the appreciation.

Working on this drama, I wanted to make beautiful and poignant melodramatic scenes. So Chaewon, the director, and I had a lot of talk. The only thing I probably regret a little is that we ended up focusing more heavily on deep, desperate melodramatic scenes than we’d expected. I wanted to show you more different sides of me. Of course, though, I got to act out such a rich variety of emotions and enjoyed the creative process working with so many fellow actors on this drama, so I have no regrets.

f27a9abb59f80fe1fd24a99ffd1f555f12e095fa.jpg (540×360)

Thoughts on working with your co-stars: Moon Chaewon, Seo Hyunwoo, Jang Heejin, Kim Jihun, and Jung Seoyeon.

As for Moon Chaewon, we actually had seen each other a few times even before we were offered Flower of Evil. We’d talk about what projects we’d been considering and what was going on in our lives. When I had so much trouble making my decision on Flower of Evil, Chaewon made me feel confident by saying, ‘You are more than capable enough to make this character attractive.’

On set, as an actor, Chaewon is very detail-oriented and focused. She does a lot of thinking until she feels she can interpret any given emotion. That’s why when we put our scenes together, I was so inspired by her and got a lot of help from her in creating emotions.

Without Cha Jiwon, Do Hyunsoo’s emotions would not have felt so desperate. She’s the kind of actor who excels at drawing people further into the drama. It must have been so tough for her expressing those emotions Cha Jiwon feels in the drama. She worked so hard. I think I should buy her something delicious so she can get her energy back up. Hahaha.

How did you benefit from working with her again? What was different this time?

The big difference is that this time, we did a melodrama together. Moon Chaewon’s melodrama is different from any other. It’s lovely, poignant, and sometimes so heartbreaking it makes you feel so sad. That’s why as an actor I had always wanted to do a melodrama with Chaewon because I wanted to see what we could create together. Thankfully, we were finally able to make a melodrama together through this project.

But I wonder if in real life, it would be possible for any couple to have a marriage like Hyunsoo and Jiwon’s. If this is a real-life story about a couple overcoming whatever comes between them to protect their love despite such a brutal past, then I think it’d be so sad and painful.

I wish we could have shot more scenes of more ordinary and happier everyday moments, like the ones where we were dating. Because the drama was a little too heavy on the desperate melodrama. Haha. But I’m so satisfied with the melodramatic scenes we created together. I think we had great chemistry, complementing each other’s performance.

As for Seo Hyunwoo, I had already heard that he is such a committed and passionate actor. Even before we got started, the people around me kept telling me I should stay on my toes. So I remember looking forward to meeting him for the first time, half excited, half worried. But in person, he’s so kind, hard-working, and above all, has his own principles as an actor.

He’s also similar to me in that we both enjoy being on set. So we constantly shared ideas and created our scenes in many different ways. I am particularly grateful for the help he gave me early in the drama in my creation of this character Do Hyunsoo. We became such good friends that we would keep saying let’s work together again on other projects. I love him even more because he can handle as much alcohol as I can.

This was my second time working with Jang Heejin. She hasn’t changed at all; she’s always cheerful and energetic. Also, she’s very considerate of the people around her. As an actor, she’s great at both conveying deep emotions and staying focused. So when I heard she’d been cast in the drama, I personally felt so relieved, thinking, ‘There we go.’

On set, she is just as playful as I am, having fun with me. But when she acts, she instantly gets into character, acting out new emotional details. Every time I saw her like that, I was so impressed by the skills this actor Jang Heejin possessed that I would call her ‘Pro Jang’ (*pro = professional). She’s a great friend and co-star who made being on set even more fun.

I’ve known Kim Jihun for seven to eight years. But this was my first time acting alongside him, so I was so looking forward to it. We nearly worked together once on another project. This time, we finally got to work together and we both found it amazing, saying, ‘We were meant to work together.’

It was probably very difficult for him working on this drama. He played the villain who made his first appearance at the midpoint, ramping up the tension that’d been built up to that point in the drama. He had to wait for a long time to start filming his parts. But once his character was revealed, I thought ‘Wow, he really has been waiting for this moment the whole time.’

He’s such a great inspiration. He has a great personality and enjoys being on set, so we really had lots of fun together. We even have similar approaches to analyzing scenes and working them out. We once spent almost an hour just discussing ideas on the phone and my voice got hoarse after that. Haha.

Personally, I think he gave a really wonderful performance, so I hope he finds an even greater project where he shines brighter. To me, he’s such a great co-star and a great bro. I am truly grateful to him for doing his best working with me.

b73c7ebd829728b248eb9b1122581eb4bf33e99f.jpg

As for Eunha, I’m tearing up just thinking about her. In fact, I cried all night before my last day of filming with Eunha. I guess I immersed myself so deeply in this role throughout. From the moment I met Seoyeon (Eunha), I never really stayed away from her on set because I wanted to help her relax and get close to her. So during the filming week when I couldn’t see her as often, I even felt depressed. I guess I got really attached to her.

Seoyeon is such a kind-hearted child who’s like a snowflake (that looks like a flower). She once said she’d tear up just thinking about me (Dad). I felt so grateful, proud, and deeply touched. She is a very dedicated actor, so she would get really disappointed when she couldn’t give the performance she’d prepared until the day before. As viewers have seen, she really delivered a stellar performance, so I can’t wait to see what the future holds in store for her. In the future, she will shine even brighter in even greater projects. Daddy will keep cheering you on from afar. I just want to say thank you so so much for being my beautiful daughter.

On working with the director

Director Kim Chulgyu is the person I am most thankful to on this project. He had complete faith in me and always set milestones in my long journey of portraying Do Hyunsoo who lives as Baek Heeseong. He always came to the set with a plan for how to put scenes together in his head, which he put lots of thought into. It helped me a lot with how I performed on set. Without any doubt I could rely on him and focus on my own work.

I think all these hard-working and great staff members came together to work with him because he’s such a gentle and warm person. I think we owe him a lot for bringing the drama to a successful conclusion. So I am truly grateful to him. I’d love to work with him again on other projects if he offers to do so.

Translation credit: @allaboutjoongi (tumblr)

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Moon Chae Won’s post-Flower of Evil interview (2020/09/24)

6b1547ffdfb9986db0ba73c0d95b3610ee13697e

Q. Before airing, at 'Flower of Evil's online press con you said "I'm nervous and excited as I definitely wanted to do this drama". How do you feel now that its ended?

A. I think it's a project that I have a lot of affection for. I wanted to express Cha Jiwon's character, and her emotions as realistically as possible. So it was a tiring and difficult process, but in the end it has been a rewarding project where I did my best, and feel very satisfied. I am so thankful to all the staff and my co-workers, but I am especially sincerely, hugely grateful to director Kim Chulgyu. Hugging him after filming ended I felt refreshed and sad, so I cried a lot.

Q. Personally tracking down the identity of her husband of 14 yrs, Cha Jiwon's character has very unique circumstances. How do you see Jiwon as Moon Chaewon? And did you do anything special to prepare for the role, or  emphasise any points in your acting?

A. I see Jiwon as someone who doesn't change on the inside, or outside. I think she is someone honest with her feelings, and knows the value of other people well. So to prepare, I tried my best to become someone like Jiwon. I emphasised expressing Jiwon's sincerity.

Q. Taking up this challenge in a new suspense-melo genre, did you think "I really want to show this side" as an actor?

A. I wanted to show an image as before, or in other words an actor who's essence doesn't change, but at the same time I also wanted to show a new side. Acting more mature than last time and able to lead the story well. If I can make people feel that about me then I can't be happier. ha ha.

Q. The second half of the broadcast had the highest ratings. Did you experience any passionate reactions about the drama or your character?

A. I could feel a lot of love from the comments or real-time reactions, but I was even more touched when I saw my fan's supportive comments or feelings. My fans' warm support was been a huge support to me, I'm so thankful.

Q.As the protagonist leading the story, there were many emotional changes such as love, betrayal, trust, suspicion etc - these scenes look very hard. Was it not hard to express these changing emotions?

A. From the planing stage, Jiwon was meant to be on a roller coaster of emotions so I expected it to be hard, ha ha. But even then, it was many times harder than I had initially thought. Jiwon's changes of emotions were even more dynamic, because I had worried about how to express it so that it could convince viewers. I'm proud that the hard work produced many good scenes.

Q. In the BTS making videos I often see you repeating lines. Maybe it's because of that that there have been reviews of you perfectly capturing the character. What do you think?

A. I read the script a lot to understand the flow and feelings of the character as much as possible. Thanks to that I could express Jiwon better. I'm grateful that thanks to that, there have been good reviews of my acting. 

Q. How was working with Lee Joon Gi?

69040a2e55029059649681da32edc8d1ac803f65

A. Lee Joon Gi is extroverted, while I'm introverted. Of course at times I can be extroverted, but we are a little different in personality. But working with him has always been enjoyable. Joongi gave me a lot of strength through his bright energy, and was a good partner. Through this project, I think we got a little closer.

Q. Are there any moments on the set of 'Flower of Evil' or in the drama you will remember?

cb3011a96c2568420ce21e8dafa76f555d13843f

A. My co-stars at the police station had a lot of energy and were very fun people. So every moment working with them was enjoyable. Particularly, there were some very small and silly moments I can't even remember.There were many moments it would start with a small smile, then burst into laughter, making an NG. Sometimes I think of those moments and laugh on my own.

Q. How do you imagine the story goes after the last episode?

A. I think they will live happily. Because Hyun Soo and Jiwon must not have any more pain and sadness.

Q. From the blooming spring to the cool wind of autumn, you were with 'Flower of Evil' for 3 seasons. I'm curious to know how will remember 'Flower of Evil'.

A. Filming 'Flower of Evil' felt like I was dreaming a good long dream. I will remember this project by the warmth and scents I felt of many good people for a long time.

Q. Finally, what would you like to say to those who loved "Flower of Evil"?

A. Thank you for loving 'Flower of Evil'. I think it felt even more rewarding thanks to all the love you sent. I hope everyone is health and at ease.

Translation Credit: @formoonchaewon (twitter)

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1