[Drama 2020] The Flower of Evil, 악의 꽃

Admin

Grab your coffee and read the last part of LJG's post - FOE interview . Warning! Long READ ahead but its insightful when you get a glimpse into the actors mind and the creative process behind a production.

Lee Joon Gi’s post-Flower of Evil interview (2020/09/29) - Part 2

0c7f8ab59b1e8edcf630df03311c7242aee385fc

Most memorable scenes and lines 

I really loved all of them. Each and every single one of them. But if I had to choose just one, the scene that lingers in my memory is one where Hyunsoo realizes his feelings and bursts into sobs. I remember the director and I were so worried and did a lot of thinking to create this scene.

We spent about an hour discussing even during the rehearsal. We spent about an hour discussing even during the rehearsal. The more we thought and talked about it, the more blocked we felt. We thought, if we failed to keep [the emotions] in balance and convince viewers, we might end up breaking the whole emotional continuity we’d built thus far. Eventually, I told the director that I wanted to stick with the initial feelings I had when I first read the script for that episode. Like a baby who bursts into their first tears letting the whole world hear. In short, so much thinking and discussion went into creating that scene. I remember I had such a hard time getting my emotions under control even after I’d finished shooting it.

I was so happy when viewers started calling Do Hyunsoo ‘Baby Flower’ after watching him realize his feelings for the first time and cry like a baby. During the filming, I hoped Hyunsoo in that scene would remind people of Eunha letting out her first tears. So I was so grateful that viewers related to the emotion I tried to convey. I found that [nickname ‘Baby Flower’] so cute as well.

The most memorable line is the one Hyunsoo says to Jiwon in the finale: ‘I will be really good to you. I will give you lots of love.’ It shows Hyunsoo, who lost his memory, reciprocating the warm love Jiwon gave him in the past, which his heart vaguely remembers. I thought it meant a new love and a new life for them, so I couldn’t stop crying on set.

There are two major scenes in which Hyunsoo breaks into sobs. I worried a lot about how to portray Hyunsoo crying in those scenes.

First, as for the scene where Do Hyunsoo realizes his feelings for the first time when he is about to lose everything he wanted to protect, I hoped Hyunsoo would look like Eunha letting out her first tears so the whole world hears. After I finished the filming, though, I actually worried a lot it might come across as over the top. Thankfully, lots of viewers understood what I meant to do and related to the emotion.

(In Episode 15) Also, I thought of this image of an animal licking his/her baby’s cold dead body and wailing so desperately when I tried to come up with how to portray Hyunsoo thinking he’d lost Jiwon. I wanted to express his feelings of loss through some primitive way of crying. Right after that, he becomes an animal that’s out of control. I discussed the scene thoroughly with the director and we went for a lengthy take to film it. I cried so much I couldn’t keep my emotion under control. So after shooting that scene, I spent the next few days working with my eyes all puffy and swollen. Hahaha.

(More on the same scene in Ep 15)

In that scene, Hyunsoo is like an animal out of control, assuming he has lost Jiwon. If Hyunsoo knew that Jiwon would be there to say (to Jung Misook, who says ‘It’s not Do Hyunsoo’s fault even if he committed murder), ‘Murder is murder,’ while still believing or desperately hoping that Hyunsoo did not commit murder – then Hyunsoo wouldn’t have gone to such extremes. I think he just wanted to be held in Jiwon’s arms.

(In the Episode 15 scene that looks like a fantasy after Heeseong has shot at Hyunsoo, Jiwon tells Hyunsoo, ‘You’ve lived your life as best you could. Thank you.’ Have you ever wanted to be comforted like that?)

Maybe at some point in my life, there’ll come a time when I hit a major slump. When that happens, I hope I’ll feel confident enough to say that [Jiwon’s line] to myself. Also, if I have someone say that to me as I approach the end of my life, and if that someone is the people I love most and the people who have walked by my side the entire path of my life as an actor [*], then I think I can close my eyes happily, without a single regret.

[*He seems to refer to his fans]

In Flower of Evil, which character do you feel the most sympathy for? The overall theme (message) of the drama.

Every character that appears in this drama: all the characters in it go through changes in their lives. Some feel this emotion called ‘malice’; some become victims and some offenders. Having watched it all the way to the finale, I felt sympathy for all of the characters. To me, Flower of Evil is a drama that made me think about what kind of flower we end up making our lives into – whether it’s a flower of evil or a flower of good, and what it means to us. In the end, I don’t think there was an absolute evil here. I just feel sad that some of the characters ended up becoming evil. I hope this drama made you ask yourself, ‘Has there ever been a moment when I felt malice towards anyone?’  

Thoughts on the ending of Flower of Evil. What does the ending mean to you? 

When I look back and reflect on it [later], I will definitely find something I feel regretful about, but now, I am very satisfied with the ending as it is. I felt like the ending – in which the new life of Do Hyunsoo has begun and gets accepted – is a process whereby the most painful petals of his life have fallen off and another beautiful bud has started to grow. I think it was a great ending.

In those two years when I was taking a break, I had a lot of worries. Each time I get an offer, I always wonder, ‘Am I an actor that’s capable enough to convey the message and the depth this project is trying to convey?’ Of course, worrying can be also motivating. I am just truly grateful that Flower of Evil got so much love from so many people and turned out so well, putting to rest all those worries I had. In fact, even after I finished the project, I still wonder: ‘Did I really do a good job [of conveying the message, etc. of the drama]?’ One thing I’m sure of is that this drama gave me the opportunity to broaden my horizons.

No matter what project I work on, I’m always left with things I find valuable, and the whole process makes me feel happy. Above all, I am grateful that I made great memories with great people and that I made a great drama with them.

Thoughts on getting so much fan support. The live chat rooms were full of people praising your performance each time an episode ended. Did you feel yourself how popular you were?

It amazed me how I gained more fans from more diverse age groups than before because of the very romantic (melodramatic) aspects of this drama. From the outset of the drama, my global fans organized various types of ads across the city of Seoul. During its run, I was deeply touched by the way fans compared Jiwon and Hyunsoo to Juliet and Romeo, feeling their pain together and loving them. I also saw a video of overseas fans watching Flower of Evil in real time. Their genuine expressions and reactions were so cute and lovely I even teared up. I was so grateful.

(What do you think makes actor Lee Joongi so attractive?)

I don’t really know what makes me attractive. I am only grateful that fans love me unconditionally for the way I fully immerse myself in my work as an actor and relate to it. I am always thankful for the endless love my fans show me even when Lee Joongi is being just an ordinary human being.  

The ratings fell a little short despite the drama’s popularity. Did you feel disappointed?

Everyone on the staff, including the director, had absolute confidence in [the quality of] the drama. That’s why we were always brimming with passion on set, regardless of the ratings. Of course, even if they say a drama should not be judged by the numbers only anymore, I was a tiny bit disappointed because the ratings were not as high as I’d hoped.

But I knew there were so many people showing love for the drama, on the internet or off, and that this was becoming a ‘drama of my life.’ That’s why I worked even harder and did the best I could. The drama got a ratings boost because of word of mouth, and I think this was made possible by everyone on the staff and the cast doing their best in their positions, keeping to the flow of the great script. We conveyed to viewers what makes the drama so touching and convinced them. From the bottom of my heart I thank everybody.

I worried so much because this was my comeback project after a long time. But the satisfaction and gratitude I felt through the work put those worries to rest. Also, we owe the dedicated fans of Flower of Evil a lot for the love they showed from start to finish. Thank you.

(Because of the committed performance from Lee Joongi, Flower of Evil got more word of mouth from viewers with each episode. Even after it ended, the drama is still getting so much attention, encouraging binge-watching)

The thing I was most often told during the drama’s run was that the best way to appreciate ‘Flower of Evil’ is by binge-watching it. Some people I know were deliberately not watching it while it aired because they wanted to binge-watch it after it ended. Haha. But there’s nothing special to keep in mind when binge-watching Flower of Evil. You just enjoy the emotions contained in this ‘suspense melodrama’ – like the love between Do Hyunsoo and Cha Jiwon, for a start.

The greatest strength of our drama is that there is not an episode that feels dragged out. So it won’t take you long to finish binge-watching it. Right. Also, our drama is jam-packed with foreshadowing. I can assure you you are going to enjoy it even more the more times you watch it. Hahaha.

Thoughts on receiving a great deal of praise for your role in the drama.

It’s true I feel good about it. But at the same time, it puts a lot of pressure on me. (Laughs) I do think I still have a long road ahead of me as long as I live as an actor. I’m serious. It takes so much hard work from so many people, as well as my own hard work, for me to continuously grow and evolve with each project and create a great character in it. That’s why I am particularly happier this time. This drama made me wish more than ever that ‘I want to live a better life and more happily as an actor, having great people around me.’ I want to say hi in advance to all those people who will be there with me. Nice to meet you.

You’re famous for being a ‘mood maker’ on set and also for being an extraordinary leader.

My job is essentially about being in a community of people creating together. As a member of that community, I only do what I have to do – fulfil my responsibilities.

Especially if I play the title role, I think I should work even harder and ensure that every member on set is in their best condition so they will make good memories working on this project. I guess it varies from person to person, but no matter the project, I go to work hoping that everyone will have fun on set.

The very act of creating something together with passion is, in and of itself, a joy and happiness for me. It’s my principle and my value – that I do my best to give and receive good energy with people I work with and enjoy myself. That way, I will evolve and learn a lot.

On the actor who plays younger Do Hyunsoo looking so much like you

While working on the drama, I always felt director Kim Chulgyu had every little detail in mind and prepared. The most unforgettable moment that gave me goosebumps was when the younger version of my character made his appearance.

He really does look like me. On top of that, he has exceptional acting skills. An actor who plays the younger version of my character to tell his backstory plays such a major part in my work. That’s why I was so, so grateful to the director and actor Park Hyunjoon (Rue), who played younger Hyunsoo. He was so brilliant.

a662863c709f4c1051b596c1247e4510e2c3a7cd

On creating Hyunsoo’s hairstyle (e.g. blonde hair)

It really took a lot of thought from many people to come up with that blonde hair. I had to put on a wig due to the [tight] shooting schedule. I’d been asked to look mysteriously handsome, instead of looking awkward. So I did a lot of research with my staff. While it’s important to create a feeling of being in the past, there was also concern over it coming off as too flamboyant, ruining the emotion in the character. So it took a lot of hard work from so many people.

Early in the drama, I had this hairstyle on covering my forehead to hide Baek Heeseong’s facial expressions. Then, as my character started to realize his feelings and became more expressive, I gradually changed my hairstyle.  

On difficulty filming due to COVID-19.

The biggest challenge was that we worried so much about losing focus because when the filming is halted, it causes a break in emotional continuity. Even during the filming, we had a hard time finding filming locations due to COVID-19. So it’s a shame that we couldn’t create an even better look for the drama. But I realize that we were not the only people having difficulty, but everyone in this country is experiencing (COVID-19-related) inconveniences, and what we had is nothing compared to people’s suffering. So we did the best we could under the circumstances.

You had a long shooting schedule. How did you manage to lead the drama staying energized and not getting tired?

As you know, I love exercise. I went to jiu jitsu glasses regularly at least until February this year. But due to COVID-19, which brought hardships to everyone, I couldn’t go to the gym any more. Still, my motto in life is, ‘The mind rules the body.’ So I always try to think positively. By giving and receiving good energy with those many staff and cast members on set, I could make good memories without getting exhausted despite the lengthy filming.

What does ‘Flower of Evil’ mean to you?

With each project I work on, I feel this sense of responsibility that as an actor playing the title role, I should contribute to making the story as best as possible. I really gave a lot of thought to this matter particularly when doing this drama. I’m only grateful that we were able to finish it successfully. I feel even happier because this is the result of constant communication and interaction with all staff members and actors, as well as the director and the writer.

Actually, for me, in life, it is more important to feel fulfilled and happy that I am doing things I’ve dreamed of doing with people I love – than just me growing and becoming more successful. That’s the meaning of life and an important value for me.

That’s why Flower of Evil was yet another source of nourishment for my [personal growth] and it strengthened and enriched Lee Joon Gi as a human being. Once again, I think I am such a blessed person. I really want to say thank you to everyone.

On continuously playing characters that experience so many hardships (shedding blood, sweat, and tears)

Personally, I prefer playing characters that experience such emotions as sadness, hurt, loneliness, and pain, than those in cheerful and lighthearted stories. I’ve filled my filmography with ‘blood, sweat, and tears’ without even realizing it. Hahaha. Of course, I can do well in roles that are really cheerful and fun, but as an actor, I still want to do roles that allow me to express deep emotions I very rarely experience in everyday life. I think I still have a long life ahead of me as an actor. I will equip myself and wait. Please reach out to me if you have great roles to offer.

It’s so hard to rank my characters in terms of the hardships they go through. They all go through a lot of hardships, but since it’s Flower of Evil that I’ve recently put all my passion into, I will rank Do Hyun Soo at the top. I will leave it to viewers who love my work to judge for themselves.

Any specific genre or type of character you want to take on in the future?

The sageuk (historical drama) is a genre I absolutely love so much so I have personally mentioned it a lot. Nowadays, there are such diverse subjects that allow us to express a lot more than we did before and that capture our imagination. It’s such a shame, though, that it is now so hard to get a sageuk made because of the current challenging circumstances. I will do a great sageuk someday when the right opportunity comes along. Please continue to show support and look forward to it.

Ever thought about making appearances on variety shows?

By now, it’s a well-known fact that I am such an energetic and upbeat person so I have actually gotten a lot of offers and suggestions. But when I did make an appearance on a variety program, I just ended up trying too hard probably because I got anxious. Hahaha. So I’ve been cautious [about appearing on variety shows] because I’m afraid I might make viewers feel uncomfortable seeing me like that. Right now, I don’t really have a strong desire to appear on variety programs. But it would be fun if I get a good opportunity to appear one of those naturally.

On the ‘Exceptionally Shy Lee Joon Gi’ meme

From time to time, it gets talked about a lot. I’m grateful because I personally love that photo so much. Hahaha. I’ve always had a great sense of balance ever since I was a child. I think because my father helped me develop that sense of balance, I was able to have so many people coming to see me in King and the Clown.

People don’t believe me when I say this, but I am actually very, very introverted at home. I am also very introverted when I meet someone for the first time, but I try extra hard to make myself more approachable. But Lee Joon Gi as a person is, by nature, an introvert. It’s just that you can’t see it.

You’ve had so many expressions describing you, such as ‘pretty boy.’ Which one particularly made you feel good, and how would you like people to describe you in the future?

Probably the ‘trustworthy / dependable actor’ is the best description I’ve earned. I think feedback like this creates a lot more opportunities for me to try new things. That’s why I am grateful for [such a description]. It also makes me more determined to be more responsible and more dedicated to my job.

Well, I haven’t really thought about what I would like people to call me in the future – although I do wonder what people who will work with actor Lee Joon Gi will call me in the future. So I want to live a better life.  

What kind of father and husband do you want to be?

Like Baek Hee Seong, it’s my dream to have a warm and happy family of my own, and I want to be a good husband and father. During this project, the staff I worked with kept telling me, ‘When married, Lee Joon Gi will really live a great life,’ or ‘He will be a complete fool for his daughter.’ Of course, I don’t know what my future will be like, but when I do have my own family, I will do my best to give love to them.

There is a scene in which Hyunsoo sees Eunha crying after her birth and asks with an expressionless face, ‘Why is she crying?’ It was a situation where I was supposed to look emotionless, but I kept tearing up. I just couldn’t take my eyes off of the baby and kept staring at her during the filming. Seeing me like that, the cinematographer told me, ‘Joongi, maybe it’s time for you to get married.’

Tips for taking care of yourself [beauty tips]

Every time I work on a new project, there are a lot of things I keep under control to stay in character. When I immerse myself in the emotions my character feels, certain facial expressions and gestures show, which I didn’t even know existed. I think those new sides of me were well-received and I’m grateful. Other than that, I don’t have special tips for taking care of myself. Sure, I get [basic] skincare treatments, but when I’m on a break, I don’t really go out because I’m such a homebody. I get so lazy I don’t even get those treatments that often (laughs). I just force myself to get rest and try to think about good things only.

On experiencing a slump

I haven’t really had a slump per se, but I have experienced loneliness that would come to me after I finished a project. At times, I felt so enervated. I looked really hard for ways to overcome this, but ultimately, the answer was: getting back to the set. I often hear I look like the happiest person on earth when I am on set. So my secret is to stay committed to work and do a great job on the set that I love so much. I will equip myself physically and mentally so I can enjoy myself on my next project as well.

On being careful in choosing a project

Actually, I worried a lot while taking a break last year. It’s true that I was being careful in choosing my next project, but I also had this great fear that I might become a parody of myself - of ‘actor Lee Joon Gi’ I had in me. So I spent the whole year worrying like that.

Once I started working on my new drama Flower of Evil, I came to the conclusion that I should not think more than necessary. The time I spent staying away from the set actually gave me more worries than good things.

On getting more fans through Flower of Evil

I was deeply touched to hear my fans started binge-watching my previous works after watching Flower of Evil. It is such a shame I can’t see them in person due to COVID-19.

From King and the Clown, which helped me establish a certain set of values as an actor, to Time between Dog and Wolf that helped me learn how to express the fervor and passion I felt at work, and to Iljimae, which received so much love from viewers and helped me get recognized for my passion as an actor – each and every one of these works has been a ‘work of my life’ and a ‘character of my life.’ So nothing makes me happier than my fans showing love for my previous works.

Each project was a turning point in my acting career. Of course, fans have their own favorites among my works, but I consider every single work of mine to be a valuable part of me. All those times made me who I am now, and I am enjoying and loving every single moment I live as an actor – and I will continue to do so.

One of the biggest joys of my life was to meet my fans and express my gratitude before I choose my next project, but I can’t do it this year due to COVID-19. I hope the pandemic will end soon so we can make great memories together.

How do you feel when looking back at your 16-year acting career? How would you score yourself (out of 100)?

I do think that I have worked hard and diligently all my life. Of course, I have regrets. But just as small dots gather and become a line, all those moments I have lived and spent working diligently have gathered and made me the way ‘Lee Joon Gi’ is now. I don’t think there is such a thing as a wasted life. Every single moment has its own value and is a source of great strength that encourages me to try new things as I move forward.

Also, my single greatest source of strength that has allowed me to keep ‘running’ is my fans, who understand my true value and give me love. When I’m tired or exhausted, every single word they say [to cheer me on] gives me lots of energy. If I had to score my life so far, I guess I’d give at least 60. I want to fill in the remainder as I continue on [making up for where I fell short]. I have so much time ahead of me to create and try new things.

In the future, as an actor, this is how I want to be remembered by people: ‘He is so consistent and diligent. He brings good energy. Watching his work, I learn many different emotions and lessons. So he is a good actor.’

I saw some comments like ‘Sorry I didn’t know there was an actor like you’ from people who got to know me for the first time through Flower of Evil. Reactions like that made me so happy. I want to be the kind of actor who keeps people curious and wanting to know more about me, even when I get older, even after being around for long as an actor. Of course, the kind of actor who builds such curiosity on the basis of trust. I want to continue my acting career diligently, one step at a time.

On future plans

In the past, when I finished a project, I would tour different countries to express my gratitude, present my fans with good shows, and interact with them in various ways. So it’s a great shame I can’t do that now. I hope the current situation will end soon so I can laugh and cry with my fans and make new memories with them.

(Any plans on working in Hollywood; he starred in 2017 movie ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’)

I want to experience and feel a lot of new things by working with artists from different countries, in addition to working in Hollywood. When the coronavirus dies down and things get better around the world, I would never hesitate to take a good opportunity when it comes up. I am always keeping an open mind and waiting. If you have any good opportunity you can offer me, please reach out to me anytime.

Right now, so many people are suffering due to COVID-19, so I want to do whatever I can do to bring you joy, happiness, and hope. Since I am an actor, the best way for me to bring you joy is to be in a great project. I will stay diligent and get myself prepared physically and mentally so I can come back with my next project as soon as possible.

END.

Article translation credit: @allaboutjoongi (tumblr)

Eng subbed version of the last BTS video released by Namoo Actors( LJK and MCW's agency)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Please vote for our beloved Lee Joon Gi or Moon Chae Won for Asia Star Awards 

download Choeaedol Celeb app  

set your MyCeleb as Lee Joongi (in your profile page)

if you click on Lee Joon Gi’s name and sort the post by “most heart, there is instruction on how to vote  

thank you

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Article Translation

Moon Chae Won's POST DRAMA INTERVIEW WITH SETN

October 20, 2020

Korean drama ‘Flower of Evil’ finished with perfect ending last month. It was the second collaboration between leading actors Moon Chaewon and Lee Joongi, after Criminal Minds in 2017. The role played by Lee Joongi is of a apparent excellent husband and father who could devote himself to his family. But in fact he is a suspect in a serial murder case, in addition, he deceiving his wife (played by Moon Chaewon), a detective who has loved him for 14 years. The audience of the drama were addicted to the intense and exciting story. In the past few days, Moon Chaewon received an overseas interview with Sanli News. She shared her thoughts about acting and interesting things behind the scenes.

▲ Lee Joongi and Moon Chaewon collaborating on “Flower of Evil” for the second time after “Criminal Minds”

Spoiler

▲ Moon Chaewon accepted an exclusive interview with “Sanli News Network” to share her experience with acting.

The detective played by Moon Chaewon kept discovering all sorts of amazing secrets about her husband Baek Heesung/Do Hyunsoo (Lee Joongi), even handcuffing him herself. She was asked about which part of the script shocked her the most when she read the script for the first time. Moon Chaewon said that on Episode 8, when Cha Jiwon eavesdrop Do Hyunsoo by the abandoned swimming pool, when he was answering his sister Do Haesoo (Jang Heejin) with considerably indifference: “Even only for an instant, I have never loved Jiwon”. The moment of hearing this was very shocking and full of betrayal, “This is a feeling I don’t know how to describe, and there is no way to describe it with one word, therefore, it is actually quite difficult to express and act Jiwon’s inner feeling. This is the part I was concerned at that time.”

▲ Moon Chaewon constantly discovers various amazing secrets about her husband in the drama.

In the process of arresting criminals and rescuing her husband, Cha Jiwon also had many highly difficult action scenes. Moon Chaewon revealed that fortunately, during the shooting, she was lucky not to be seriously injured, only some minor scratches. She also shared about a scene which she had to jump up the stairs quickly, but it had rained heavily that day and the stairs were slippery, so she slipped and fell. She laughed and said, “I felt so embarrassed at the time. Although it was painful, because I was so embarrassed, I had to endure it all the time”. Compared with Cha Jiwon’s bravely rushing into every crime scene, even entering the terrible basement of Do Hyunsoo’s home, Moon Chaewon said that in real life, she is actually quite timid. When she goes to play in haunted houses, she always stands behind her friends, “I’m afraid of ghosts, haha”.

Spoiler

▲ Moon Chaewon had a lot of difficult action scenes, but fortunately there is no serious injury.

When Moon Chaewon was asked at the press conference how she felt about partnering with Lee Joongi again, she was shy and blew herself up talking about how often she went to the theater to watch movies after school. At that time, Lee Joongi’s emblematic movie "The King and The Clown” was released. She went to watch it with her friend, but then her friend was fascinated by him and searched about Lee Joongi on the internet. She didn’t expected to work with him with after “growing up”, she was called a successful fan. Later, she revealed that after the first episode was broadcast, she talked with that same friend for 3 hour on the phone. When asked Moon Chaewon which Lee Joongi’s scene deeply impressed her, Moon Chaewon replied, “On Episode 15, Hyunsoo is shoot to save Jiwon. Because of his deeply love for Jiwon, he could give up his life, right?” 

Spoiler

▲ Moon Chaewon talked with a her friend who likes Lee Joongi for 3 hours on the phone.

Spoiler

▲ Moon Chaewon felt that the moment Lee Joongi was shot to save Jiwon was the most impressive.

And about which three scenes in “Flower of Evil” impressed her the most, Moon Chaewon replied, “Compared to scenes of sadness and showing a lot of emotions, I still think the most about the moment of happiness.” She told the scene she liked the most is when Cha Jiwon dove into the pool without hesitation, to save Do Hyunsoo at the opening, “The feeling of love for Hyunsoo can be felt, and she is willing to sacrifice for him.” The second scene is under the cherry blossom tree, when Cha Jiwon took the initiative to kiss Do Hyunsoo, and then the couple kiss lovingly, “The scene is beautiful. It contains romance, whether it is feelings or visual. The heartbeat feelings which can bring people into Spring, and Jiwon, who loves Hyunsoo, is a a bit clumsy but also has a sincere heart.” It’s also a meaningful turning point, “Because it shows Hyunsoo falling in love with Jiwon unconsciously”. The last scene is when Do Hyunsoo and Cha Jiwon hide under the edge together because of the rain, and smile into each other’s eyes, “A slight heartbeat can be felt, so I like it”.

▲ Do Hyunsoo and Cha Jiwon looked at each other and smiled.

In the end, Moon Chaewon did not forget to leave a message to her Chinese fans: “Thank you everyone for supporting ‘Flower of Evil’ and Jiwon. Audience and fans could enjoy our performance and support us until the end. It gave us a lot of strength. I hope everyone will be healthy and all of you can feel happiness!“

Source: Setn

Credit: @moonchaewonarchive

• Like 3

EXCLUSIVE Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won's Philippine Interview

We talk to the ‘Flower of Evil’ star couple about the characters they play, their most memorable experiences shooting the drama, and the pressures and joys of being an actor!

Justin Alexandra Convento

October 21, 2020, 12:40 AM

It's been a month since the drama has ended and our hearts are still reeling. We may never recover from our Flower of Evil hangover! And we wouldn't want to, anyway, because Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won have truly captured our hearts with their amazing talent, range, and unforgettable on-screen chemistry.

Moon Chae Won and Lee Joon Gi in 'Flower of Evil'
Moon Chae Won and Lee Joon Gi in 'Flower of Evil' | Stills courtesy of IQIYI

In this exclusive interview, both actors get candid about their stellar performances in the recently concluded drama. We gain more insight into the characters they play, learn of their most memorable experiences shooting the drama, and hear from them the pressures and joys they experience as doing what they love—acting!

Interview with Lee Joon-Gi:

7ad6016f-cdb1-43d6-864e-eddf0e6acbc5_foe-story.gif

tvN, Soompi

1. What was the biggest challenge for you in playing this character? When you read the script, was there anything that you felt difficult to agree with?

Although I found the plot quite interesting when reading the script, and I was also fascinated by the story, I still felt it’d be difficult to play the character. However, to present the audience with a whole new image completely different from the previous works, I decided to take the challenge in the end. Baek Hee-sung does not show his feelings easily, so to interpret this character’s feelings better, I paid special attention to details during the performance. It’d be hard to understand the character from the story pieces of Baek Hee-sung and Do Hyun-soo alone. Rather, I grasped the character’s characteristics and feelings naturally as I read through the script.

2. Flower of Evil is a couple-oriented thriller series. Can you tell us whether it focuses more on the suspense part or the romance between the two protagonists?

The suspense part makes up 20% of the series, while the romance part 80%. The story between the protagonists is very dark and depressing, yet the series still ends with “romance,” true to the “high-energy suspense reasoning TV series” title. In this series, as the truth the husband has hidden for 14 years gradually surfaces, the relationship between the couple is also constantly changing.

Spoiler

362cd077-3a5f-4f49-9100-1df5e54c2a92_foe41.jpg

3. Among the character’s multiple identities: father, husband, and murder suspect, do you feel it’s more difficult to interpret the romance with the wife “Cha Ji-won” (Moon Chae Won), or is the relationship with the daughter more challenging? Do you prefer the identity of husband or father? Did you find it difficult to play a character with such an extreme side?

Frankly speaking, I don’t think I’m mature enough to interpret the roles of husband and father perfectly. It’s already hard to interpret just one of them. Playing both of the roles this time has been a great challenge for me. But I feel it’s something that an actor must go through in their career. This series was the first work I starred in after my long break. I wanted to show the audience a new look, and that was why I chose to play this character.

4. Your character has a dark criminal history, yet he fell in love with a policewoman full of justice. Why do you think your character will fall for someone who is the absolute opposite of himself?

For Do Hyun-soo, Cha Ji-won is the only one he has ever met who has no prejudice against him.  Ji-won’s innocence is like a precious gift to Hyun-soo. It’s the first time he has experienced such emotion, and also one of the major reasons he finally decided to marry her. For Hyun-soo, Ji-won’s appearance is predestined.

5. This is your second collaboration with Moon Chae Won in three years after 'Criminal Minds,' what do you think of your new husband-and-wife relationship? Has the tacit understanding between you two changed? Has your impression of her changed? What changes or growth has she made that make you impressed? Does the spark between you two has any obvious fit or sublimation parts compared to three years ago? What do you think Moon Chae Won’s greatest charm is?

During the shooting of 'Criminal Minds,' I promised Chae Won that we’d play a romance series together in the future. The opportunity came faster than we’d expected, and I was glad that we could work together again. This time we played a couple who had been married for 14 years. We both found the character settings quite fresh, and were also very happy to have the honor to play the characters. Through the cooperation of 'Criminal Minds,' we had fully understood each other’s strengths, which was of great help to the shooting of this series. And we often gave each other performance suggestions. We both put in a lot of effort to portray a couple who had been married for 14 years as naturally as possible. Chae Won’s acting skills are calm and delicate, and I think our cooperation has a synergy effect. We had a great time working together, and the shooting was completed quite smoothly.

6. With the wife a police officer of the serious crimes unit, did the two characters’ “police-and-criminal” identities and husband-and-wife relationship drive you crazy? Or do you feel more inspired and confident the more complex emotions the character has? Is this the character with the most explosive force you’ve played so far?

The character I played in the series loves his wife deeply while hiding his past. It was a great challenge for me to combine the two sides perfectly and interpret them naturally. During the preparation, besides studying the character’s eyes and expressions, I also conducted detailed and in-depth research on the character’s reaction to the interacting actors, the image shaping of the character itself, etc. This work was a great challenge to me, but looking back on the works and characters I’ve played in the past, it seems I’ve always been challenging myself. As an actor, I’ve always been working hard to present my new look. I hope that the audience can see my effort through this work and enjoy the work.

Spoiler

c9bb69ee-3026-48f0-9b4e-ec969b3a2852_foe44.jpg

7. In the series, Hee-sung covered up his past and feelings for a long time. He’s a good liar—do you think you’re similar to him in any way?

I’m no liar. If I lie about something, it’s usually spilled quite easily, and others will soon find out. If I encounter a situation similar to Baek Hee-sung’s in the series in real life, I shouldn’t be able to hide my past that long. (Laughs.)

8. What’s your most memorable experience during the shooting of this series?

For me, every day spent on the shooting site is unforgettable and precious. Everyone was working toward a common goal, and everyone was trying to do their best. Seeing the way everyone worked, I also felt encouraged, the shooting site suddenly full of energy. As everyone on the shooting site had been passing on this positive energy, we completed the shooting of the series in a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere.

Spoiler

bb44910c-b265-41f1-9161-e05ee8067d93_foe13.jpg

9. Can you share your daily life over the past few months during the pandemic? Have you found anything new about yourself because of that? New strengths or weaknesses? And have you developed new hobbies or skills?

Affected by the pandemic, I’ve not been able to continue practicing my favorite Jiu-Jitsu these days, nor go travel. But just because of this, I’ve spent more time at home. I took advantage of the time and made sufficient preparations for the shooting of 'Flower of Evil,' not only reading through the script carefully but also fully studying the characters. I look forward to meeting my fans soon after finishing the shooting of 'Flower of Evil.'

10. You’re a father in this series—how was your cooperation with the little actor who played Eun-ha? Did you feel comfortable with her?

The name of the little actor who played Eun-ha is Seo-yeon. I think my cooperation with her was full of surprises. She was really smart. Compared to adult actors, she could understand and perform various emotions faster. I really like children. I often played with Seo-yeon on the site, and the staff also knew that we got along quite well. So we didn’t find it difficult when playing father and daughter, and we both could express our feelings naturally.

Spoiler

c171ec3b-9955-404d-ac52-e0fdb4a22707_foe56.jpg

11. Fun question! The title of the series is 'Flower of Evil'—if you have to describe yourself as a flower, what flower will you choose and why?

I’d like to choose the rose. As rose not only is my favorite flower, but also symbolizes passion. I feel it suits me well.

12. Dedicating close to 20 years to acting, do you have any unaccomplished dreams or wishes? Can you share with us how you faced and overcame the pressures of being an actor? What are your principles of work and life? Is your happiness in your own hands?

First of all, I think the happiest and most satisfying moment as an actor is every time I meet the fans. I’m very grateful that my fans can enjoy and love my performance, and that I’m able to receive the support of so many fans. And in order not to let down the fans, I’ve always been living and working hard. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a great way for me to deal with stress. But recently, I’ve not been able to keep practicing Jiu-Jitsu because of the shooting. By practicing Jiu-Jitsu, I’ve not only improved my strength, but also learned many things in other fields. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the safest among combat sports and can improve body balance, so I highly recommend that you try it. As for my principles of work and life, my one principle is to stay humble and treat people with kindness. I’ve been trying my best to adhere to this principle whether in my daily life or during on-site shooting. It not only makes people around me work more happily, but also helps my works achieve better results.

Interview with Moon Chae-Won:

fb139ba9-f08f-4ec0-ba97-1fc9f5df97c3_foe-gif%20@thingskateknows.gif

tvN, Soompi   

1. In this series, your identity is a police officer in the serious crimes unit, and your husband a murder suspect. Did the “police-and-criminal” identities and husband-and-wife relationship drive you crazy? Did you learn anything about the marital relationship after the performance?

Playing a new character is always a challenge for me. For a character described only in words in the script, the actor needs to go through a series of processes such as injecting their own understanding and interpretations and digging into the character’s personalities to shape the character into a figure that actually exists in real life. From the aspect of character shaping, Ji-won is a great challenge for my acting skills. In the past 14 years, Ji-won has loved her husband deeply, and deemed her husband the only one in her eyes. Yet after discovering her husband’s hidden secret, she misses no detail of her husband’s inadvertent words or actions, carefully observing and suspecting her husband all the time. The co-existence of love and suspicion makes Ji-won’s life like walking on a tightrope. When playing the character, I had to show not only the inner suffering of Ji-won, but also her complex relationship with her husband. I’d also made a lot of effort to get a better grasp of the character. I’d think from Cha Ji-won’s perspective instead of Moon Chae Won’s. Why would Ji-won make such a choice? What was Ji-won thinking while making such an action? While studying the character, I kept asking various questions and sought answers from Cha Ji-won’s perspective. And slowly I began to understand Ji-won’s thoughts and actions. I tried my best to integrate the emotions and thoughts I felt when reading the script into the performance, to let the audience feel touched the moment they see the show. After character analysis and research, I did my best to interpret the character, portraying the intricate emotion lines and the delicate and tense relationship between the wife, as a criminal police officer, and the husband, a murder suspect.

2. This is the first series you agreed to play in two years. What made you interested in the script and character and decided to play in the series?

I was first attracted by the series’ deep and dramatic theme. The characters and theme of the series are very special. It neither tells stories of daily life nor expresses emotions and thoughts at a certain moment, which is unique. So I felt it was very different from the previous works. The 'Flower of Evil' series also has many theme elements that I loved. I always enjoy suspense and romance works, and this work happens to combine the two perfectly. So it has a unique charm. Just as the series is integrated with the two elements as suspense and romance, Ji-won also has two sides on emotions. This work has drastic emotional fluctuations, yet they’re not something that happens in a sudden, but emotional shifts that gradually occur throughout the development of the plot, which are easier for the audience to empathize with. So the changes in Ji-won’s emotion line do not appear abrupt, but are the result of natural development.

3. This is your second collaboration with Lee Joon Gi in three years after 'Criminal Minds', what do you think of your new husband-and-wife relationship? What’s your impression of him?

Lee Joon Gi is as handsome as ever. He has many different charms, and it’s really difficult to choose if I can only say one. Hahaha. In my opinion, he’s very passionate about acting, and I can see that he very much likes this work. So during the on-site shooting, I could see that he was working hard every moment, doing his best to complete the shooting of each scene. And the professional acting skills Lee Joon Gi showed on the shooting site were also an inspiration and motivation to me. Lee Joon Gi has many reverse charms. Not only would he consider the feelings of other actors carefully, but he also was an expert in livening up the atmosphere of the shooting site. Thanks to Lee Joon Gi, I didn’t feel so nervous during shooting and could concentrate better on performance. I feel very lucky to be able to meet such an excellent partner and such amazing work.

4. Your character has a strong sense of justice, yet she fell in love with a man with a dark past. Why do you think your character will fall for such a dangerous man? Are you the type to be attracted to “bad guys"?

At the end of episode six, Ji-won says “I only believe what I see.” This line is a good expression of the characteristics of Ji-won. I think Ji-won is a figure who’s not to be influenced by the prejudices of others and always sticks to her beliefs.Therefore, while others see Hee-sung who comes to buy beer in the grocery cold, Ji-won, not influenced by others’ views, does not have much suspicion about Hee-sung and only sees him as an ordinary person. And it’s precisely because she has no prejudice against Hee-sung that she can find the humane and affectionate side of Hee-sung. In the series, she made the first move asking about the reasons for Hee-sung’s move, and has always believed that Hee-sung, who’s been guarding her silently around, is a good man. There are countless beautiful memories between them, and I believe Ji-won loves Hee-sung deep down.

Spoiler

f069ea8d-a413-4fc3-bae0-d4563c0efa1d_foe34.jpg

5. This is your first time playing a married, working mother. How was your cooperation with the little actor on the site? Did you feel comfortable with her?

It was the first time Seo-yeon and I cooperated playing mother-and-daughter, and I personally felt very satisfied. There was no doubt that our cooperation had been easy and enjoyable. One day, during the shooting, Seo-yeon ran over smiling and took out a colored paper folded into a square. I opened it, and the colored paper read “Sister Moon Chae-won, Flower of Evil, cheers ♡♡.” Since then, I’d continued to receive letters from her, the title usually my real name or character name in the series. The way she wrote the letters with her little hands was simply adorable. And I’m also very grateful for her care and love for me. The shooting happened to be in the cold spring weather, and it was thanks to the warmth Seo-yeon brought us on the shooting site that the shooting was completed smoothly. This also left a deep impression on me.

6. Your character has experienced many emotional setbacks and fluctuations in the series. Did you find it hard to relieve the stress brought by Ji-won (or feel unable to control your emotions) after shooting?

I was usually very focused during shooting and performance, and had also been caught up in Ji-won’s feelings and emotions. But that didn’t mean I’d find it difficult to relieve the stress brought by Ji-won or feel unable to control my emotions after shooting. Hahaha. Sometimes I’d enjoy being in the role of Ji-won, but sometimes I’d also listen to some relaxing music or go see friends to get rid of the heavy emotional pressure. Depending on the situation, I’d choose different methods to relieve stress.

Spoiler

1e755a28-f824-481d-975c-a8d80782eb89_foe65.jpg

7. What’s your most memorable experience during the shooting of the series so far?

I found the cooperation with the fascinating actors and staff the most memorable. Suddenly realizing some of the content that I’d not thought of before while discussing the script with seniors and colleague actors, I’d be able to shoot scenes better fitting the work combining everyone’s opinions. I’m very proud that I was able to contribute to the creation of this amazing work. Haha, it was thanks to the on-site guidance of director Kim Cheol-kyu that we could exert 100% of our acting skills. I’m very happy to be able to work with so many excellent people and produce such a good cooperation result!

8. Can you share your life in the past few months before the premiere of 'Flower of Evil'?

It was actually the same as usual. I’d do things like watch my favorite movies and cook, which made my life flowing with happiness! I also made some preparations for the shooting of 'Flower of Evil'. (Laughs.)

9. The pressure of being an actor is actually great. There are many young actors who are overwhelmed by the pressure of the entertainment industry and unable to find happiness, their emotions fluctuating with public opinion. How did you face and overcome the pressure?

I think one of the effective ways to relieve stress is to put aside all the daily distractions and focus only on yourself temporarily. Or eat your favorite food or watch a few soothing movies or TV series, take a break and relax. You can also organize your thoughts while listening to music. In this way, your positive energy is restored slowly without you knowing it.

Spoiler

a089716c-751c-4913-977b-a6c049c461f7_foe17.jpg

You can watch all the episodes of Flower of Evil starring Moon Chae Won and Lee Joon Gi on IQIYI! 

Viewers can access this thrilling and romantic drama, as well as other releases. for free via iQIYI International’s website at iQ.com or on the platform’s free mobile application that can be downloaded from the Apple Store or Google Play Store. For access to new episodes as they drop, viewers can also sign up for a Standard VIP account at PHP129 or for a Premium VIP account at PHP249.

Lead photos courtesy of IQIYI and background photo by Adrien Olichon on Pexels. Other photos in story from tvN and IMDb.

Source: Metro.style

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Article Translation

'2020 APAN Awards' to be held next month, popularity award voting begins

0003062542_001_20201026075954321.jpg?type=w430

Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won are among the nominees for the 2020 APAN popularity award (vote via the IDOLCHAMP app)
-
2020 APAN Awards’ has released a teaser poster and announced the nominees for the popularity award, whose winner is determined by the vote of fans.
The 2020 APAN Awards is taking place for two days, from November 28 to 29, and will air live in about 200 countries as an ‘untact’ (without physical contact) ceremony.
Voting for the popularity award started on October 27 and continues until November 27, through the IDOL CHAMP app. The winner will be determined 100% by the vote.
The winner in the actor category is also determined by the vote. There are three categories in total: male and female actors and OST categories. Among the nominees are: Kang Ha Neul, Go Ara, Kim Go Eun, Kim Da Mi, Kim Min Jae, Kim Soo Hyun, Kim Hee Sun, Kim Hee Ae, Namkoong Min, Nam Joo Hyuk, Moon Chae Won, Park Bo Gum, Park Seo Joon, Park So Dam, Park Eun Bin, Park Min Young, Bae Suzy, Seo Kang Joon, Seo Ye Ji, Seol Hyun, Son Ye Jin, Yoo Yeon Seok, Lee Min Ho, Lee Dong Wook, Lee Sung Kyung, Lee Min Jung, Lee Seung Gi, Lee Joon Gi, Jang Ki Yong, Jang Dong Yoon, Jeon Mi Do, Jung Hae In, Jo Bo Ah, Jo Jung Suk, Ji Chang Wook, Joo Won, and Hyun Bin.
As for ‘APAN Star Awards,’ the awards will be presented in a total of 27 categories for dramas that have aired from October 2019 to October 2020 on the national networks, general programming, and cable network channels, as well as web series and short form dramas.
The previous Daesang winners include Son Hyun Joo (1st), Song Hye Kyo (2nd), Jo In Sung (3rd), Kim Soo Hyun (4th), Song Joong Ki (5th), and Lee Byung Hun (6th).

Original source: (1)

Translation: @jg_kdrama (instagram)

• Like 2

55b829f62c1d31fa58455e947b025eb69775e006

Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won have been nominated for the 2020 APAN Seezn Star Award (different from the popularity award). You can only vote for one of them.
-
Voting is open until 27 November 2020
-
•You can participate only after logging in on the Seezn App.
•The Seezn Star Award winner is determined 100% by the vote.
•The winner will receive the award at the 2020 Apan Star Awards ceremony on November 29 
-
•Download the Seezn app
•Go to Voting page and Vote Moon Chae Won/ Lee Joon Gi daily, once with each SNS ID. 

For (overseas) fans use this link to download the Seezn app :

https://m.apkpure.com/seezn-시즌-즐거움을-다-본다/com.kt.otv/download?from=details

• Like 2

thriller-korean-dramas.jpg

While Korean dramas are popular for its romance genre, there are some good thriller Korean dramas to watch to keep you on the edge of your seat.

The two things that keep you watching thriller dramas are their gripping storyline & flawless acting with some action packed scenes that keep you engaged.

If you want to watch some of the best thrillers that Korean provides, here are 15 best thriller Korean dramas for you to watch & enjoy.

1. Signal

Park Hae Young witnesses the kidnapping of a girl 15 years ago. 15 years later, Hae Yeong is now a police officer and criminal profiler. One day, he finds a walkie-talkie that allows him to get in contact with Detective Lee Jae Han who is in the past. Together, they solve a series of murders.

Signal thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Lee Je Hoon as Park Hae Yeong
  • Kim Hye Soo as Cha Soo Hyun
  • Jo Jin Woong as Lee Jae Han

Watch On – Netflix, Viki

2. Flower Of Evil

Baek Hee Sung is a craftsman living with his wife, Cha Ji Won & daughter. But he hides some dark secrets that even his wife is unaware of. His wife is a homicide detective who investigates a case of a psychopath who is quite close to her.

Flower Of Evil thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Lee Joon Gi as Baek Hee Sung
  • Moon Chae Won as Cha Ji Won
  • Jang Hee Jin as Do Hae Soo
  • Seo Hyun Woo as Kim Moo Jin

Watch On – Viki

3. Extracurricular

This drama is about three high school students Ji Soo, his partner Gyu Ri & school bully Min-Hee who start committing crimes to earn money & pay for their college and the unpredictable dangers they face as a result.

Spoiler

Extracurricular thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 10

Cast –

• Kim Dong Hee as Oh Ji Soo
  • Park Joo Hyun as Bae Gyu Ri
  • Jung Da Bin as Seo Min Hee
  • Nam Yoon Su as Kwak Ki Tae

Watch On – Netflix

4. Strangers From Hell

Jong-Woo moves from the countryside to Seoul after his friend, Jae Ho, offers him a job. While looking for a place to live, he comes across a cheap hostel. He decides to live there for 6 months. But strange things start to happen with him.

Spoiler

Strangers From Hell thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 10

Cast –

• Im Shi Wan as Yoon Jong Woo
  • Lee Dong Wook as Seo Moon Jo
  • Lee Jung Eun as Eom Bok Soon
  • Ahn Eun Jin as Seo Jung Hwa

Watch On – Netflix

5. Vagabond

Cha Dal Gun is a stuntman whose nephew dies in a plane crash. He comes to know that there is a huge scandal involving the government behind the plane crash & sets off to reveal the truth along with a NIS agent Go Hae Ri.

Spoiler

Vagabond thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Lee Seung Gi as Cha Dal Gun
  • Bae Suzy as Go Hae Ri
  • Shin Sung Rok as Gi Tae Ung

Watch On – Netflix

6. Kingdom

Ste in the Joseon period, the deceased king rises and a mysterious plague begins to spread; the prince must face a new breed of enemies to unveil the evil scheme and save his people. It has season 2 as well.

Spoiler

Kingdom thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 12 (S01 – 6 & S02 -6)

Cast –

• Joo Ji Hoon as Lee Chang
  • Ryu Seung Ryong as Jo Hak Joo
  • Bae Doo Na as Seo Bi
  • Kim Sung Gyu as Young Shin

Watch On – Netflix

7. Tunnel

In 1986, Park Kwang Ho works as a detective. While working he passes through a time portal, which transports him to present-day Seoul. He meets a new partner Kim Sun Jae. They try to find out the serial killer.

Spoiler

Tunnel thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Choi Jin Hyuk as Park Kwang Ho
  • Yoon Hyun Min as Kim Seon Jae
  • Lee Yoo Young as Shin Jae Yi

Watch On – Netflix

8. Save Me

Sang Mi and her family move to Muji-gun. There she meets four young men. Later, Sang Mi and her family are approached by the Spiritual Father of Goosunwon who offers to help them. However, they slowly get sucked into the pseudo-religious cult and the four young men try to save her.

Spoiler

Save Me thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Seo Ye Ji as Im Sang Mi
  • Ok Taec Yeon as Han Sang Hwan
  • Woo Do Hwan as Seok Dong Chul
  • Jo Sung Ha as Baek Jung Ki

Watch On – Netflix

9. Voice

Detective Moo Jin Hyuk after his wife’s death, works with professional voice profiler Kwon Joo, whose father is killed, to solve a different crime, chasing for the serial killer who is responsible for the deaths of their family members.

Spoiler

Voice thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Jang Hyuk as Moo Jin Hyeok
  • Lee Ha Na as Kang Kwon Joo
  • Baek Sung Hyun as Shim Dae Shik
  • Son Eun Seo as Park Eun Soo

Watch On – Netflix, Viki

10. Stranger

Hwang Shi Mok, a prosecutor finds him in a murder case. He meets Police Lieutenant Yeo Jin at a murder crime scene. They work together to wipe out corruption at the prosecutor’s office and solve a serial murder case.

Spoiler

Stranger thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Jo Seung Woo as Hwang Shi Mok
  • Bae Doo Na as Han Yeo Jin
  • Lee Joon Hyuk as Seo Dong Jae
  • Yoo Jae Myung as Lee Chang Joon
  • Shin Hye Sun as Young Eun Soo

Watch On – Netflix

11. Two Weeks

Jang Tae San is a man who has been living a meaningless life. He is on the run after being falsely accused of murder. He discovers that he has a daughter whom he tries to save in two weeks.

Spoiler

Two Weeks thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Lee Joon Gi as Jang Tae San
  • Kim So Yeon as Park Jae Kyung
  • Ryu Soo Young as Im Seung Woo
  • Park Ha Sun as Seo In Hye
  • Lee Chae Mi as Seo Soo Jin

Watch On – Netflix, Viki

12. Train

Seo Do Won is a detective who tries to save Seo Kyung. There are two different worlds in this drama. Do Won travels to the other world to track the serial killer with the help of the other Seo Kyung.

Spoiler

Train thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 12

Cast –

• Yoon Shi Yoon as Seo Do Won
  • Kyung Soo Jin as Han Seo Kyung
  • Shin So Yool as Lee Jung Min

Watch On – Viki

13. Defendant

Park Jung Woo is a prosecutor who has lost his memory and discovers that he is convicted on death row. He is now left with no option but to find the truth behind his condition and prove his innocence.

Spoiler

Defendant thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 18

Cast –

• Ji Sung as Park Jung Woo
  • Uhm Ki Joon as Cha Sun Ho
  • Kwon Yu Ri as Seo Eun Hye
  • Oh Chang Seok as Kang Joon Hyuk
  • Uhm Hyun Kyung as Na Yun Hee

Watch On – Netflix, Viki

14. The Guest

Yoon Hwa Pyung, a psychic Choi Yoon; a young boy born in a religious Catholic family, and Kang Kil Yeong; the daughter of a detective tries to work together to defeat a powerful demon named “Son”.

Spoiler

The Guest thriller korean dramas

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Kim Dong Wook as Yoon Hwa Pyung
  • Kim Jae Wook as Choi Yoon/Matthew
  • Jung Eun Chae as Kang Gil Young

Watch On – Free Streaming Sites

15. 365: Repeat The Year

In this drama, ten individuals get the opportunity to return in time by one year, but strange & unexpected circumstances begin to emerge when their destinies are changed & turned.

Spoiler

365: Repeat The Year

No. Of Episodes – 16

Cast –

• Lee Joon Hyuk as Ji Hyung Joo
  • Nam Ji Hyun as Shin Ga Hyun
  • Kim Jee Soo as Lee Shin

Watch On – Viki

Wrapping Up

These are just 15. There are many more to discover & watch. So, pick any one or all of them & get ready to watch. Most of them are available on Netflix & Viki.

Besides dramas, there are many more Korean Thriller Movies to watch that keeps you entertaining more & more.

Keep watching dramas !!

Source: kdramain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Article Translation

‘Flower of Evil' starring Lee Joongi and Moon Chaewon premieres in Japan on Mnet Smart

restmb_allidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=2020111

‘Flower of Evil,’ Lee Joongi’s drama comeback after a two-year hiatus, has been confirmed to premiere in Japan, in January 2021, on Mnet Smart, the first Korean entertainment and video service in Japan 100% owned by Korea's Mnet.

The drama is about a man who changed his identity and his wife who investigates his past. Lee Joongi stars as Do Hyun Soo, serial murder suspect posing as Baek Hee Seong. He gave a great performance as the polar opposites of warm-hearted Hee Seong and cold-blooded Hyun Soo.

Moon Chae Won who led Tale of Fairy and Good Doctor, plays detective Cha Ji Won who investigates her beloved husband's past. The pair once worked together on 'Criminal Minds' and now play a lovey-dovey married couple, yet filled with tension as the chaser and the chased. What choice will the detective wife make when she finds out about her loving husband's past?

Source: (1)

Translation: @jg_k_drama_417

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello, long time no see. Most of you must have moved on by now. But just in case, anyone is curious about how our lead actors are doing after flower of evil. Here are their recent interviews. Below is an interview with Lee Joon Gi. The next post will be an interview with Moon Chae Won.

(ENG translation) Lee Joon Gi’s Interview for Allure Korea, December 2020

NIGHT IS TENDER, LEE JOON GI

58f10c50d8294e743c5662876c5db8acfcdddfa3

Actor Lee Joon Gi is just never satisfied. It’s only been a month since <Flower of Evil> ended, but he is already thinking about what to do next.

Allure – It’s so great to see you again.

JG – How long has it been? Has it been about 3 years? When was it we went to Canada?

Allure – Speaking of which, I still vividly remember this from our photoshoot in Canada. We were told it’s a dry area like a desert, but it suddenly started raining and everyone was befuddled. But you said you were fine and didn’t care; that it didn’t matter if we were shooting in the rain or if we were going to have to stay longer. As an editor, I found it very reassuring.

JG – It’s not like I got caught in the rain alone. Everyone would be equally affected by the rain during the shoot. Just right at the time, though, I had this feeling that the photos would turn out great. That pictorial is one of the top 5 favorites among my fans.

Allure – The 2016 pictorial was entitled ‘Welcome Spring, Wish You Great Luck,’ and your drama became a hit.

JG – That’s also among the top 5 pictorials! It was right before I started filming <Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo>. I was worried because I had put on some weight, but the photos turned out so great. <Allure> never disappoints. The moment I walked into the studio today, I was already in high spirits.

Allure – I can’t tell if you’re telling me the truth, but I am very grateful to hear that. (Laughs) Anyway, I’ve known you for 10 years, but you have never changed. No matter where you are, you are always passionate and kind to everyone on set, and still there’s no news of you getting married.

JG – I have nothing to say to that… It’s not like I don’t want to get married. I get asked a lot about getting married, and I do think a lot about it, as well, but…

Allure – When you reach a certain age, doesn’t it occur to you that it’s not just about you not wanting to get married, but also about not being able to get married?

JG – Exactly. I’m beginning to think that I might not be able to get married, but I want to when I find the person I’m destined to meet. I think more and more about it now that my latest drama made me feel the warmth of a family.

Allure – When I first watched <Flower of Evil> on TV, you were hanging from this apartment balcony.

JG –  You thought ‘that person’s at it again,’ didn’t you? Once the shoot begins, I don’t feel like this is my own body. I shot the scene in three parts: I was actually hanging from a real apartment building; I also shot it indoors; and we shot it on an outdoor set we’d created.

2d4957172dd09feab193ff9b996d5e58813c0c57

Allure – From then onwards, I watched it when it actually aired. As a viewer, I thought it was a great drama. What did you think from an actor’s point of view?

JG – I hadn’t done such a great drama in a while. I know that I can’t be satisfied with my work every time, but this is the project where I accomplished a certain goal of mine.

Allure – Certain goal of yours? What was that?

JG – Doing a project where I could stay focused until the very end of it and which kept viewers curious. My goal has always been doing a great work that both can convince viewers and is meaningful to me. It takes many different elements to coalesce well to produce this one result, so it cannot be perfect all the time. Sometimes, you get distracted and end up with a disappointing outcome, but for this drama, the director, the actors, the production staff all worked so well together so we kept going all the way like that to the very end. Because of them, I could feel more comfortable and focus solely on my own acting. When I was first offered <Flower of Evil>, I was not going to do it. Because I thought it was too difficult.

Allure – What convinced you then?

JG – The director is very famous for his great directing skills. I thought I was not really good enough to express the depth of my character. I didn’t have the experience of having my own family, either. The director also had some doubts about me, but after watching all my works, he said he was convinced that he could show a new version of Lee Joon Gi. He said that this drama is definitely unique and difficult, but it would be a special project where we would leave one another with something [special].

Allure – And it happened exactly as he wished it would.

JG – I think the director gained confidence while preparing this drama with the writer for a long time. He was sufficiently confident that he could get us to bring out different sides of one another and show viewers a drama they’d never seen before. Ultimately, he made a great drama and had faith in us. Watching him putting in so much hard work to bring everything into harmony, I realized that he wasn’t just ‘director Kim Chul Gyu’ for nothing.

Allure – In fact, we’d been talking about having this interview and photoshoot since August. I heard the filming kept getting delayed, right?

JG – Originally, the drama was supposed to wrap up no later than mid-August. But we had Covid-19, a rainy season, and a typhoon, so we ended up filming for 7 months until September. But I am so glad we could finish it safely despite all the difficulties.

Allure – Maybe that’s why the actors had such great chemistry. You were great with Moon Chae Won, who played your wife, but your chemistry with Seo Hyun Woo, who played ‘Moojin,’ was so great, too.

JG – I think Hyunwoo made a huge contribution to creating the character of Do Hyun Soo early in the drama. Of course it is important for actors to focus on their own characters, but at the end of the day, you need reactions from your co-stars that support and make your performance shine, and he did such a great job in that regard. In the beginning of the drama, I had to look like a real psychopath. Early on, Hyunwoo helped me a lot in building my character by giving me great reactions. Early in the drama, I was supposed to look expressionless and emotionless, so I was very limited in expressing my character.

Allure – You always play roles who suffer physically or emotionally. Even when you play a prince. It’s not like you enjoy the suffering, do you?

JG – Now, it’s like an addiction… (Laughs) They say Lee Joon Gi is the personification of blood, sweat, tears. I guess [earning] that kind of epithet… is good. I want to do things where typically others try to take it easy, when I am still brimming with passion both physically and mentally.

Allure – Once again, you had so many physically demanding scenes in this drama. Are you okay using your body like that? I get lower back pain at work when I’m close to the deadline.

JG – Strangely, I don’t get sick.. yet. (Laughs) The mind rules the body. You should keep reminding yourself, ‘I am like in my 20s! I can do it! I have only just started! I’m starting afresh!’

Allure – You sound like my mother…

JG – Haha! When I’m at work, I want to pursue fun and stay cheerful. Instead of getting overwhelmed by stress and not being able to show what I want to do and then regretting it later, I want to have fun at work while showing people all I’ve got. If I can cheer up the staff that way when they’re exhausted, then it’s a win-win for both of us. Taking care of your body is also important. I practiced jiu jitsu so hard for two years, but this year I was forced to take a break. This year I couldn’t do enough to take care of my body. But there’s nothing I can do because everyone is having a hard time.

Allure – That’s why there’s this notion that you always play passionate roles and are great at giving very tense performances. But in <Flower of Evil>, you got to balance it out. Wasn’t it the kind of role that actor Lee Joon Gi needed most?

JG – Everyone around me wanted me to choose that kind of role. I also thought I needed it. <Flower of Evil> put a lot of pressure on me, but I wanted to let go of some of the eagerness I had. This time, I didn’t watch any monitors [on set] at all. Instead, I focused on manifesting the character inside of me more by doing enough rehearsals on set.

Allure – Rehearsals? Like in a play or musical?

JG – It’s about creating many different things based on the script before the shoot began. It’s when the actors try out the things they prepared before coming to the set. Normally, we roughly work out details of how we move before the actual shoot begins. But [for this drama] we were sort of filling in the gaps through the rehearsals, like getting serious and doing things properly. Actually, that’s the right way to go.

Allure – Do Hyun Soo believes he doesn’t have emotions, but he actually does. You had to highlight that subtlety. How did you approach your role?

JG – I had no idea at all about when Do Hyun Soo would start feeling emotions during filming. When will these emotions unlock? I was waiting for that moment as well with each passing episode. I kept imagining the past stories this character has while waiting. If I got greedy and let in even a tiny bit of my eagerness, I could have upset the balance of my character. Also, characteristically, the drama is not filmed in chronological order, so I paid a bit more attention to staying focused on my character.

b4e6dca9aeccccbbb47aa9db0c9f3d0541de7ae8

Allure – What scene did you find most thrilling?

JG – In the heart of those emotions unlocking and exploding, there is Jiwon (played by Moon Chae Won). I spent a whole month thinking about it after receiving the script: Should I just cry desperately, or should I hang on to it desperately, letting it play out longer. I thought, when Hyunsoo felt this emotion he had never felt before in his life, he would cry like a newborn baby. When viewers watching the scene felt the stirring [of the emotion] and sadness along with him, so when I connected with the viewers and convinced them, it was really thrilling.

Allure – Actors normally give interviews right before their project begins or right after. Which do you like better?

JG –  Those are two completely different things. When I do interviews before a project begins, there’s a mix of anticipation, wanting to promote the project, and a great deal of fear. When I do interviews after the project has ended, I get to recap the things I was satisfied with because I was able to focus on myself or the things I was not satisfied with. If I fell short, then I’d start thinking about things I have to do after [the project]. I feel like emptying it all out. Or when I feel too distressed or empty, doing works like this [photoshoots] fills me up. Last night, I couldn’t sleep well either.

Allure – I hear nowadays viewers watch dramas while chatting in real time, am I right? Suppose you reply to comments like ‘Lee Joon Gi always does a good job’ anonymously, what would you say?

JG –  ‘Lee Joon Gi IS “뭔들” (there isn’t anything he can’t do).’ I love compliments. I love it when I receive compliments. I can’t pay attention to the talk [live chat on the Naver drama channel] while watching the drama, but I do check the talk when the broadcast starts and when it ends. When I see the talk [chat] room getting all active, then I say to myself, ‘Ah, today’s episode was great, too.’ This time I enjoyed the drama a lot as well.

Allure – I guess you should work with the Flower of Evil Team again on your next project.

JG – I already told them, let’s do another project. Haha.

Allure – I think it made you more worried about your next project. Do you still worry that you have to show people something new?

JG – I am very obsessed about it [showing people something new]. I had always done at least one project each year, but last year I took a break without doing any project. I was afraid and under a lot of pressure that I’d have to show people a new side of me. Because when I do a project where I can put my talent to good use, I might end up being a parody of myself. Now that there are a wider variety of types of consumers and platforms, some people told me that it’s important I shouldn’t take a break. Then there are also people who told me, just as you unknowingly get your clothes wet in drizzle, I should just keep working to narrow this disconnect between me and people. So I ended up spending the whole year having all kinds of thoughts. Nowadays, production periods got longer so if I don’t decide fast enough, then the project goes away. Even now, I am feeling very pressured. I am constantly reading scripts, but I haven’t made up my mind yet.

Allure – Still, they say that the profession of acting is about being chosen. What kind of role are you waiting now?

JG – Now that I had so much fun doing this ‘suspense melodrama,’ I want to do [more] melodramas. I want to show you myself in a more comfortable and warmer role, and also want to do a project about beautiful love before I get older. Or, I think now I want to play a really ordinary role where I get to loosen up. In the past, I wanted to surprise viewers when they watched me, even if that meant I got my bones broken and flesh torn. Now I like loosening up more and more. As I get more experience and get older, I think I’ve gotten this desire to do something more natural.

Allure – We had a relaxing vibe to today’s photoshoot as well.

JG – But I was like jumping around today as usual. How come they don’t let me use my body during photoshoots nowadays? They keep telling me to stay still…. (Laughs) I had so much fun doing it so freely today. I’ve been feeling empty and hollow since the drama ended. I think I’m feeling more so about this drama. I guess more so, because it was such a difficult drama.

Allure –  There’s such a thing as trends in photoshoots, as well. (Laughs) You guys made this amazing drama by working hard together, but you can’t do a wrap party or go on a trip due to the current situation. Aren’t you disappointed?

JG – True. All I do now is drinking alcohol alone at home... I can recharge [properly] when there’s something I can manifest, but I cannot do that now. If things were normal, I would be busy preparing for my fan meetings. Or I’d be starting on my next project right away. But this year, there is only very little I can do. That’s why each of these photoshoots is so fun.

Allure – I was told last year it was the longest time you’ve been away from work, except for the military service. Looking back, what do you make of that time?

JG – I think it definitely gave me something: whether it was stimulation, deeper thoughts, or expanding my inner world… I got to thinking, Wasn’t I being too scared doing my work? The more experience I get, the more scared I get. And I constantly get hesitant. But I think those things were useless. So I am not going to do that anymore. While I was on a break, I practiced jiu jitsu hard and earned a colored belt. My greatest accomplishment last year was earning that jiu jitsu belt. When my master put the belt on, saying, “Thank you so much for practicing hard without a break,” I felt even happier than when I won an award.

Allure – Still, there’s a lot more about your private life you don’t let people know. You still don’t want to guest-appear on observational entertainment shows like <I Live Alone>? It could give you the opportunity to show a charming, genuine side of you, don’t you think?

JG – With the camera present, I’d come across as so fake. Instead of being charming, I’d end up being unlikable. I’ve gotten a lot of offers [to appear on such variety shows], but I don’t think I can act natural. I guess when they watch observational programs, viewers think celebrities are human beings after all, but for me, I get comfort watching them, thinking, the lives my peers are living aren’t so different from mine. Like, I’m not alone in living such a non-celebrity life!”

Allure – If you were to appear on <Radio Star> or <I Live Alone>, which would you choose?

JG – I think I’d rather be on <Radio Star>. I love having someone ask me questions and answering them, and variety program PDs have told me that I do my best and am so sincere I don’t look like an actor. Even for <Knowing Bros>, I decided appear on it to help Jieun (IU) out, but I ended up trying so hard.

Allure – This year, everyone became a homebody. A lot of people say they’re watching old dramas on Wavve or Tving. What would you recommend to people from your filmography?

JG – There are a lot of works you can enjoy. There is not a thing I did halfheartedly. It’s a very old one, but I strongly recommend you to watch <Time Between Dog and Wolf>. <Moon Lovers> is great, too. <Moon Lovers> has been popular for four years now. It has a lot of international fans. It gets talked about again and again when the actors I worked with on it become successful.

Allure – Come to think of it, all the princes are so brilliant in different ways, aren’t they?

JG – It had [Nam] Joohyuk, Baekhyun, and [Kang] Haneul in it. Fans really want Season 2, but now, we cannot get the cast back together. (Laughs) Personally, the drama broadened my fan base as an actor. Elementary school students love it as well. There are also people who say they’re binge-watching <Moon Lovers> after finishing <Flower of Evil>. Am I bragging too much?

Allure – It’s good to see an actor being proud of his own filmography.

JG – I love my own works so much, and you know, there are videos of reactions to my works on YouTube. When I watch those videos while drinking alcohol in the evening, I cry along with those people in the videos. (Laughs)

Allure – You watch reaction videos while drinking alone. (Laughs) Do you still dance when you drink alcohol?

JG – Nowadays, I sing more than I dance. I love songs by Kim Kwang Seok. I have five wireless mics at home. Among the latest songs, I love songs by BTS, but they are so hard to sing along to. I just keep singing ‘Blood Sweat & Tears.’ Now it feels like my own song.

Allure – So is Lee Joon Gi’s motto still ‘Blood, Sweat, Tears’?

JG – That’s right. Of course, it means I do things fiercely, but it also means I put my heart and soul into something. It’s impossible not to have any regrets, but at least I can keep my regrets to a minimum that way.

end.

Source: Allure Korea

Translation Credits: @allaboutjoongi

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Moon Chae Won Vogue Korea Interview Translation

104601192.1.jpg

Q: Its been two months since The Flower of Evil  has ended. The writer Yoo Jung Hee has said in an interview that she hoped this drama would become "a drama where one can image the future lives of the protagonists." Have you, as an actor, ever wondered what life Cha Ji Won would have after the ending? 

A: No I thought it had ended with a pretty happy ending, so I didn't wonder about it. Since she had experienced a tough married life, I hope the two would live happily ever after.

Q. Cha Ji Won, the homicide detective, was a character that experienced a hurricane of emotions - to the extent where I wondered how you would be able to come home and fall asleep after having gone through series of emotions through acting.

A: Since I had to drive myself to the extremes of emotions, I had to keep tormenting myself as I filmed. Every emotion began from love, so there were parts that I was good at, but there were some that were difficult.

Q: While I thought the Flower of Evil was a thriller that had multiple twists that came one after another, in the end, it was a story about human's mind, and especially about love. From The Princess's Man, to The Innocent Man, and finally to The Flower of Evil, you become really special when you are acting a character who is sincere about love. It's as if you are earnest about the energy that comes out when one is in love. In your fan website, someone has defined you as "an actor who specializes in characters who actively and crazily in love" - do you agree?

A: Perhaps I do have that kind of energy. I do like such energy. I do have idealized wishes about love, so whenever I meet such work, I come to desire to use such energy.

Q: How have such characters expanded your world?

A: As one grows older and runs into real problems, romance begins to fade away One also comes to expect less from others. It would be sad and painful if one's love for another ends up as a one-sided love. But if not, I cannot imagine what greater happiness one can have. Things like wealth, honour and health are valuable, but in the end, that feeling of love is still important to me. Of course, one could live without love, but I do hope the reality is better than the drama.

Q: In what state of mind were you in when you began to film The Flower of Evil?

A: I had a desire to burn off a certain of emptiness. Things had been difficult for me for a year, but if I decided to do a work that excluded emotions in such a state, I thought it would make me feel even drier and void of any moisture. I wanted to ease such emotions I was experiencing with acting, even if that meant it would be tough and difficult for me. So in that way, I held fast onto The Flower of Evil  for seven months, and some things that I had been thinking about became somewhat clearer. I have been thinking about which sides of me I want to show to people, and about when I feel happy - that is, people see certain side of me, and that makes me happy. What is that certain side?

Q: What kind of evaluation or praise do you want to hear?

A: "I was very glad/happy that you represented that character." "Thank you for acting that character," would be the biggest words of praises that lingers in my mind the longest. In order to hear such words, I cant be just driven to choosing a work just because I feel anxious [T/N: because she feels that she needs to work]. To be honest, for a long time, I didn't understand it when people said being an actor meant being a person who keeps waiting. We are the kind of people who want to be recognized. We keep acting because we like that recognition, yet in order to be acknowledged, we have to choose a work that we feel confident about. When you are just starting, you don't have the time or mind to think about such things, but when you've been in the industry for quite a bit, you come to harbor a desire that you can't just go into any work. Because if you do, you might not be able to work when you want to.

Q: What kind of drama or film are you confident about?

Those that deal with emotion are difficult and tough, but at the same time, with those, I can kind of paint a picture of how I will act in them. And while I'm not a funny kind of person, I like happy, cheerful kind of dramas and films. Since I'm also not a dynamic person, I enjoy being in dynamic works. Works like Love Forecast and Good Doctor are the ones that give me happy moments. Works that I continue to love even with time are those that give out messages. The existence of these messages are important when I'm choosing a drama/film to work with. When I'm acting a script that has a clear messages, I also come to choose a work towards representing the same message. Even with novels, I tend to re-read the ones that fascinate me with its unique charm. Drama, film, and novel - all the same - needs to have its own uniqueness.

Q: From the point of a woman, Cha Ji Won of the The Flower of Evil was a charismatic woman. She jumped into any situation instead of running away from it, and saved a male character that was in a state of confusion and chaos. What kind of woman do you think is charismatic/charming?

A: Every character-if she doesn't make someone else's life difficult or make unnecessary tensions - has her own charm.

Q: You played a homicide detective character, after having a profiler in Criminal Minds. Is there something you learned from having played a detective?

A: It is something that one needs to risk his/her life. I always watch Unanswered Questions and read a lot of interviews by detectives, and have great admiration for their work. Its an occupation that wields strong influence to the society, and one that requires sacrifice in life and day-to-day life. I personally have a respect for occupations that I would never be able to undertake, and detective is one of them.

104601196.1.jpg

Q: Why do you watch Unanswered Questions?

A: It's not something unusual, since it's a long-running program that has high ratings. Its just something I had been watching since I was little. Having watched it for a long time, I realized what an important role it has to those who have experienced a misfortune. In fact, Unanswered Questions does sometimes contribute to catching a criminal. Getting to know the dark side of the society makes one afraid, yet one must face and acknowledge it.

Q: While you didn't show any drastic action scenes as a detective, you did have many running scenes. How quickly can you run a 100m? 

A: I don't remember the exact seconds. While the scenes were not as long in what was aired, I did my best when running. People around me would encourage me, saying, "You are fast! You run really well," and that really helped. And in some action scenes that I did play, I really did do my best in them, so I am very proud.

Q: Are you good at using your body?

A: No. That is why I'm emphasizing that I tried my best. Perhaps I also try to take it easy since I know I'm not good at it (laughs). To be honest, there is a reason why I don't remember how long it takes for me to run a 100m. When I was in school, I was once persuaded into entering a relay race, but ended up falling down when I was passing the baton to the next person.

Q: Then are you better at sprint or marathon?

A: Sprint.

Q: Do you feel more excited when you ae talking about your drama? Or do you feel more excited when you talk about things outside of work, like a good restaurant that you've recently found?

A: I do like to talk about my work, but I feel shy talking about my acting. When I first began my career as an actor, I may have elaborated a little more and romanticized some things when doing an interview. But since I can also see other things now, I am more careful about it. 

Q: In your previous interview, you have said that you tend to be strict with yourself. Perhaps that is why you feel shy when you are talking about your acting?

A: That is right. Since I have a uniqueness of my own, I am able to keep working as an actor. However, a uniqueness of my own, I am able to keep working as an actor. However, a uniqueness is something that one has by nature. No matter how one tries, one cannot develop a uniqueness. So with exception to such uniqueness and charm [that is innate], there are some parts that I am lacking. I know that my acting could become more diversified and I would receive recognition from people only after I add in those parts -I always feel thirsty for those. Yet, there aren't many opportunities that I can undertake to quench that thirst. I can't get into a drama/film just to practice. If you look bad in a work, people will be aware of that, and if that piles up, it becomes your image. Each actor possesses a different charm, and it's cringy to keep talking about that. I'd like to say that I've made some efforts to make improvement on some parts that could improve.

Q: Luck also plays a big role for an actor.

A: Of course it does. And there are definitely lucks that are created. These days, I miss the vibes of the 1990s. The trendy and young is also nice, but once the media pours out their own interpretation of it, I come to accept it without even savoring it myself. If people go to a new restaurant for more than five years, there is a reason for that. It may be that they've become tired of the food they've been eating for more than five years, there is a reason for that. It may be that they've come to develop a liking to something new. But I can't really see that well. I've been thinking about this lately, too: even if I keep trying to figure out what that[T/N: referring to "something new"] tastes like, I can't suit everyone's taste anyways. It is better to go for what I like, for it would look more odd if I went for something that people like but I myself am not interested in. Nothing really can influence me if it doesn't suit my taste.

Q: You don't take on many works, but you seem to have busy days.

A: There are many days when I spend all day at home but I've come to feel more bored spending my time at home. People change.

Q. What is something that you try to keep every day?

A: I cant sleep in. Even if I get up really late. It's not later than 9:30. I don't want to sleep until the sun is high up in the sky because then I feel like I'm falling behind. Just lying on the sofa and surfing through the internet while listening to music wakes me up.

104601195.1.jpg

Q: Its one of those questions that are in trend : do you like mint chocolate ice cream?

A: I don't necessarily go out of my way to get it, but I like that flavor. I don't think it tastes like toothpaste.

Q: How about pineapple pizza?

A: I don't like it.

Q: Which of the two is at fault? Pineapple? or Pizza

A: The cook is to blame. Pineapple should'nt meet with flour. I've tried pineapple tart, but I could'nt taste anything other than pineapple because the taste of pineapple was too strong. The flour part itself is sweet, but adding something that's even more sweet makes the flour part tasteless. Peach tart was okay.

Q: Have you taken the MBTI personality test? 

A: I took it today! I got ISFJ, the "defender" type. I'm not sure if that explains my personality though.

Q: When you were filming Criminal Minds you have shown a love for mysteries/thrillers. What do you think is the beauty of that genre?

A: You can watch it without having to get emotionally involved in it. From the point of view of the viewers and audience, mysteries/thrillers are good-time dramas/movies.

Q: I can totally imagine you lying down on a sofa in your free time and watching a bloody mystery/thriller (laughs). What is your favourite mystery/thriller?

A: I really enjoyed watching Signal and Stranger (Secret Forest). There are also many good foreign dramas /films, such as those famous works that we all know, David Fincher's films and Homeland. I am a kind of person who likes to find a hobby, enjoy it and reflect on it myself, and I like hip hop. Just I seek and watch many films, I watch many performances and hip hop musician's interviews.

Q: What do you like about hip hop?

A: I think they [hip hop musicians] are very brave. In that they live as they wish and that they had been steadfast in their efforts even when they were not as famous.

Q: You majored in western art. Do you still paint?

A: I've painted maybe twice ever since I've started working as an actor. I've painted a few before I started filming The Flower of Evil  and a few couple of years ago. I was going through a difficult, painful time that I could not be break out of, and the only skill I had was painting, so I painted. That is all. Painting has been a way through which I express myself for quite a long time. I don't necessarily enjoy or feel better when painting. Painting cannot become something I do for fun.

Q: You made an official instagram account yesterday, and got 14000 followers in a day. How do you feel about that? 

A: I didn't even know that was a big number (laughs). I think posting maybe once a week would be good. To an extent where I don't feel embarrassed about it. 

Q: You have a job that requires you to show things to the general public, yet seem to be struggling with feeling shy about it.

A: Right (laughs).

Q: You said you do one drama/film per year, and that this speed suits you. Have you decided on your next drama/film?

A: No. However, I will do something in 2021, whatever it is. So I wish that I'd meet a story that I'd want to take part in. No matter how many plans I make on working. I don't have a choice if the work doesn't come in at the right time. So then I listen to my heart. "How much do I want to work?" "How much do I miss acting and how crazy will I be if I don't do it? "What is that feeling and how much undertaking am I willing to handle? I try to read what is in my mind.

Q: When you were just starting your career as an actor, you always get a question about "What kind of actor you want to become." Have you thought about that recently?

A: I have stopped thinking about that since a few years ago. Instead, I now think the path I am on is the path I should be on. It's not like I can go onto any path I wish to be on anyways, and the fact that I wasn't able to take the path I wanted to take doesn't mean that everything is over.

Q: I saw a playlist you had recommended a year ago in some music website. There were many songs from the 1990s, such as "Is it still beautiful" and "Never Ending Story". Is your playlist still in the 1990s? Which song would you recommend? 

A: Infrared Camera by Wonstein from Show Me the Money. I'd like to recommend a new song since only those who know songs from the 1990s will be happy to hear about old songs.

END:

Translation Credit: @yeonmong55 (Twitter)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 9:46 PM, mulberry9 said:

Happy that FOE will be on Netflix Thailand, Indonesia and Singapore starting from January 24. It's a good start. Hope others will follow soon.

And in New Zealand too , wuhoo!!!! Of which  I  presume FOE will be on Netflix in many countries  - wishing it all the success and many more people will fall in love with this drama :hooray2:

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best Kdrama Actors: StellarSis Awards (France) 2021

CAROLINE & ELODIE LEROY | FEBRUARY 28, 2021                                                                             SHARE

Here is the list of the 2021 StellarSis Awards, through which the Editors nominate the best k-drama actors and actresses of the past year.

What a challenge for actors in the teeming world of Korean dramas! We reviewed all of the 2020 trendy drama lineup and debated at length to elect the Korean actors and actresses whose performances were the most outstanding. After our selection of the essential series of 2020, here is our list of k-drama actors.

Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won, Acting Duo of the Year

Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won Flower of Evil (tvN)

As we explained to you in our review , Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won bowled us over in Flower of Evil , a psychological thriller in which a female cop uncovers her husband's hidden past. Between couple crisis and police investigation, the drama gives pride of place to a face-to-face meeting of actors of rare intensity.

We've been following Lee Joon Gi's career since his early days , and it's especially gratifying to see him blossom today in a role as ambitious as that of loving family man Baek Hee Seong / Do Hyun Soo, caring husband, and double-sided thriller character. Throughout Flower of Evil , his interpretation never ceases to reveal new riches, appearing remarkable in mastery and sensitivity.

For her part, Moon Chae Won delivers the best performance of his career in a role more difficult than it seems. Between the ordinary woman and the cop full of conviction ready to take all the risks to save her husband, she brings to her character a lot of nuance and truth. She is undoubtedly the actress who has moved us the most this year.

Avalanche of revelations

Unlike in other years, when the Revelations category was mixed, we decided to separate men and women. The reason is simple: the year 2020 saw the emergence of an incredibly high number of young talents. It would have been a shame to miss half of them.

As every year, the StellarSisters editorial staff awards its prizes to the actors of k-dramas by classifying them in several categories: best actor, best actress, best actor in a supporting role, best actress in a supporting role, male revelation, female revelation. , best villain and special prizes.

Like our ranking of the best dramas of the year , the StellarSis Awards take into account the dramas of which at least 50% were broadcast in the previous year, that is to say in 2020.

Finally, in addition to our traditional distinctions granted to the best male and female supporting roles and to the villains of k-dramas, the list of StellarSis Awards ends like last year with Special Prizes. In this series, the categories are free and allow us to distinguish special contributions or scenes that have marked us.

StellarSis Awards 2021

Best Actor:
Lee Joon Gi

Baek Hee Sung / Do Hyun Soo in Flower of Evil

Lee Joon Gi, best actor

Special mentions:

2 - Son Hyun Joo - Kang Do Chang in The Good Detective
3 - Shin Sung Rok - Kim Seo Jin in Kairos

Other nominees (alphabetical order):

Cho Jeong Seok - Hospital Playlist
Joo Ji Hoon - Hyena
Kim Min Jae - Do You Like Brahms?
Kim Soo Hyun - It's Okay to Not Be Okay
Namgoong Min - Hot Stove League
Park Hae Joon - The World Of The Married
Park Seo Joon - Itaewon Class
Song Kang - Sweet Home

Best Actress:
Moon Chae Won

Cha Ji Won in Flower of Evil

Moon Chae Won, best actress

Special mentions:

2 - Seo Yea Ji - Go Moon Young in It's Okay to Not Be Okay
3 - Kim Hee Ae - Ji Sun Woo in World of the Married

Kim Ha Neul  - 18 Again
Kim Hye Soo - Hyena
Kim Seo Hyung - Nobody Knows
Lee Se Young - Kairos
Park Eun Bin - Do You Like Brahms?
Son Ye Jin - Crash Landing On You

Best Villain
Jo Min Soo - The Cursed

The shaman Jin Kyung in The Cursed

Special mentions:

2 - Kim Ji Hoon - Baek Hee Sung in Flower Of Evil
3 - Yoo Jae Myung - Jang Dae Hee in Itaewon Class

Spoiler

Kim Ji Hoon and Yoo Jae Myung, best villains

Ahn Bo Hyun - Itaewon Class
Jo Han Chul - Memorist
Oh Jung Se - The Good Detective / Hot Stove League
Park Hoon - Nobody Knows
Sung Dong Il - The Cursed

Source: https://www.stellarsisters.com/les-meilleurs-acteurs-de-kdramas-stellarsis-awards-2021

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

• 5 weeks later...

The drama is still getting article coverage :innocent:

7 Crime & Mystery K-Dramas That Keep Us On The Edge Of Our Seats

8bb18a080d074d0fa71ea85f6c47eab8.jpeg?s=

Crime and mystery K-dramas are often underrated in favor of their romantic counterparts. While there’s nothing more satisfying to watch than an epic romance unfold, sometimes you want to put the fluttering feelings of love to the side and watch something more thrilling. From murder mysteries to conspiracies, to delving into the paranormal, there are so many good, thrilling crime and mystery dramas to watch. Here are a few favorites.

Warning: mentions of violence, sexual assault, and death below.

Flower of Evil

When it comes to crime and romance, usually the two don’t mix. Or, more commonly, there are just subtle hints since romance isn’t the main plotline of the show. However, tvN’s “Flower of Evil” takes the plunge of intricately tying a marriage into a cold case that’s over a decade old. The story follows detective Cha Ji Won (Moon Chae Won) who discovers that her husband, Baek Hee Sung (Lee Joon Gi) may actually be a murderer. It feels like an understatement to say that these two go through hell as they both try to solve the case and reveal the true events that happened.

moon-chae-won-flower-of-evil1.gif
lee-joon-gi-flower-of-evil1.gif

The romance absolutely drives this drama forward. With every episode, you truly have no idea if their marriage will fall apart or become stronger than ever. The drama toys with Hee Sung’s innocence quite a bit in the beginning, but by the end, you can’t help but hope for their happy ending.

Each character is deeply connected, and those connections plus the drama’s insane attention to detail make the murder mystery so addicting to figure out. Once you start this drama, you’ll have to keep watching until you finish.

(skipped unrelated.....)

Credit : soompi news

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow!!!!!!! 

Baeksang Arts Awards 2021: Date, Complete Nomination List, Live Streaming Details

The 57th Baeksang Arts Awards, popularly known as Paeksang Arts Awards, will be held on 13 May. The organizers announced the complete list of nominations on Monday, 12 April.

The award is instituted by Ilgan Sports and JTBC Plus, affiliates of the JoongAng Ilbo, to honour the talents from the film, theatre and television industries.

Chang Key-young, the founder of Hankook Ilbo newspaper, introduced the award in 1965. It is presented in his pen name 'Baeksang'. It is considered one of the prestigious awards by Korean entertainment industry.

Live stream details:
The 57th annual Baeksang Arts Awards will be broadcast live via JTBC on 13 at 9 pm KST onwards. For the past few years, the star-studded event was telecast live through VLive and the tradition is likely to continue this year. However, there would not be live crowd this year due to Covid-19.

57th Baeksang Arts Award Trophy

May 13th 2021
Red Carpet 7:20pm KST
Awards Ceremony 9pm KST

Streaming Links :
Tiktok_Stage
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSJy4yLx9/
JTBC PLUS Vlive
http://vlive.tv/channel/EBF267
AQ STREAM
https://aqstream.com/jtbc2/JTBC2
HYPERA
https://hypera.live/channel/jtbc

Nominees:

79303c8f9c2c8c9df4446529f3d8c78260c2a22f

Best Drama:
JTBC's Beyond Evil
tvN's It's Okay to Not Be Okay
tvN's Flower of Evil
tvN's My Unfamiliar Family
Netflix's Extracurricular

962c93d3d570f4e70b6a65aafd354ee0bccc54f5

Best Director
Kwon Young-Il ("My Unfamiliar Family")
Kim Cheol-Kyu ("Flower of Evil")
Kim Hee-Won ("Vincenzo")
Park Shin-Woo ("It's Okay to Not Be Okay")
Sim Na-Yeon ("Beyond Evil")

83ead049de504b4718a7b12d4076199fc6fd74fb

Best Screenplay
Kim Soo-Jin ("Beyond Evil")
Kim Eun-Jung ("My Unfamiliar Family")
Yoo Jung-Hee ("Flower of Evil")
Jo Yong ("It's Okay to Not Be Okay")
Ha Myung-Hee ("Record of Youth")

Best Actor:
Kim Soo Hyun – It's Okay to Not Be Okay
Song Joong Ki – Vincenzo
Shin Ha Kyun – Beyond Evil
Uhm Ki Joon – The Penthouse
Lee Joon Gi – Flower of Evil

Best Supporting Actor:
Kim Seon Ho – Start-Up
Kim Ji Hoon – Flower of Evil
Oh Jung Se – Its's Okay to Not Be Okay
Lee Hee Joon – Mouse
Choi Dae Hoon – Beyond Evil

(skipped unrelated.....)

In total:  Flower of Evil has gotten five nominations in total - for Best Drama, Best Directing (Kim Chul Gyu), Best Screenplay (Yoo Jung Hee), Best Actor (Lee Joon Gi), and Best Supporting Actor (Kim Ji Hun).

Congratulations to the Flower of Evil Team!

Credit :ibtimes asianwiki

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

57th Baeksang Arts Awards TV Best Directing Winner (Flower of Evil) Kim Chul Gyu’s acceptance speech

I 'm so stunned and mesmerized winning such a big prize and I feel like I'm seeing several moments flashing before me.

For every project I work on, I am grateful, once again, to everyone -well, it'd be an understatement to merely say they do their best - they contribute to the work by really giving it all they got, pouring everything they have into it.

In particular, from the bottom of my heart, I thank Lee Joon Gi and Moon Chae Won, who showed everything they had by putting their heart and soul into it; writer Yoo Jung Hee who wrote such a unique and original screenplay; and all the staff and cast whom I was so happy to work with.

Lastly, I want to express my gratitude to my family for trusting me, following me, devoting themselves and supporting me for such a long time - particularly my wife Hwang Sook Hee. Thank you.

Trans text Credit: @jg_k_drama

Video Credit: @baeksang.official

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1