[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

with the OST 4 release it is safe to say that romance is also the main topic of this drama.

but it will be slow burn one thus the title said it all " confession is not flashy " 

so get ready guys it will get deeper and deeper. 

for the 5 friends, and all the side character.

we already got more clear picture of what will be the pairing look like.

notably 

dr ahn -> dr song hwa

dr jang -> dr jeong won

dr jun wan -> Lee ik sun

and some possible one

dr song hwa -> dr ik jun

dr min ha -> dr seok hoon

also more to come with more episode we got. 

• Like 3

Last night was a really good episode! Seok-hyeong’s and Ik-jun’s stories were really highlighted.

Considering the new cover of soundtrack four, feat. Jeung-won and Dr. Jang, that is probably where the loveline will go.

I think, the possibility of this loveline decreases the chances of Song Hwa and Captain Ahn happening. As cute and likable as he is... Two senior-junior resident ships... I have this inkling the writer might not go to that direction. Song-hwa might be paired with one of the other guys, someone outside of work, or with no one at all. She can be this cool, independent person who doesn’t need to date; at the same time, it might also be nice to see someone so successful in her career also have a love life (just to break the usual prejudice in a lot of Western shows where successful doctors suck in terms of romance).

If she ends up with one of the guys, I can really imagine how they would hide it from the other three hahahaha

My Ik-jun/Song-hwa heart found it cute when they jinxed each other when talking about “Seok-hyeong”. It seems so natural. Joke’s on Ik-sun for comparing herself and Captain Ahn to Ik-jun and Song-hwa, if ever the latter ship sails haha. Anyway, romance aside, I really like how they show the struggles and joys of Ik-jun as a single dad.

I am so glad they didn’t prolong the Jun-wan/Song-hwa loveline. It would have been so painful if they introduced the Jun-wan/Ik-sun later on.

Edited by midflight
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, midflight said:

think, the possibility of this loveline decreases the chances of Song Hwa and Captain Ahn happening. As cute and likable as he is... Two senior-junior resident ships... I have this inkling the writer might not go to that direction. Song-hwa might be paired with one of the other guys, someone outside of work, or with no one at all. She can be this cool, independent person who doesn’t need to date; at the same time, it might also be nice to see someone so successful in her career also have a love life (just to break the usual prejudice in a lot of Western shows where successful doctors suck in terms of romance).

I thought about this too. They can't have two similar love tracks in the same drama. It could also be that Song hwa and Captain Ahn's love line will sail and Jeong won will choose god. LOL. But it would be such a waste. Or both of them won't sail and Jeong won and Song hwa will be the endgame. Hahaha now that's an highly possible outcome too. Ahhh the guessing game is too much for me. I hope they make all the lovelines clear by the next ep so I can freely ship the right people. LOL. For now I'm happy that atleast one of them is clear. Hehehehe. I will shamelessly admit that I'm team Junwan. Don't care who the girl is, oppa makes me swoon when he is in love. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

There's no reason why Jun-wan can't be interested in Ik-sun. If he is actually. He's known her off and on for years. I don't agree that he's a player, judging from his reaction to Song-hwa's ex. I think his problem is that he's a perfectionist... a great trait for a cardiothoracic surgeon.. but probably a killer for relationships. Dr Bong pretty much said that he's the best surgeon of the lot. That's probably why he changes girlfriends as often as some people change socks. He has high expectations of himself and others... Hence the nickname "Thanos" and the reputation for being a cantankerous jerk. But unlike Seok-hwan, for instance, he does seem to want to be in a relationship outside of work, outside of being a member of the Fab Five. Maybe he's tried, bought so many lemons that he now wants someone reliable.

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'm still beating the drum for Capt Anh. :D I want to see more of him even if he doesn't end up dating Song-hwa. He screams "reliable" to me. And as I get older... I'm liking reliable a lot more. More than that I like his quiet confidence which is so rare in K dramas. He won't be the first man in history to date his boss as if that mattered... if that's the endgame... A lot of "ifs" at the moment. ;)

Agreed !!!! I had this inkling that Jun Wan likes Ik Sun when they showed his slightly jealous but restrained expression when Captain Ahn came to see her . Plus I warmed up to Ik Sun immediately. Jun Wan’s previous GF didn’t give a good impression. And as you know too , I am a big fan of reliable men. :D That’s why I like the idea of Captain Ahn with Song Hwa , but it’s alright if it doesn’t develop further .

For me this drama is more than just  the romance. There were so many warm & moving scenes that show the struggles & emotions of those in this field & those who depend on them .  Especially in the light of all that’s happening in real life today, I have come to appreciate this show even more  . I really love each episode . I think if everyone can view this the way they watch Prison Playbook instead of stressing over love lines like in the Reply series , you’d enjoy the drama & its little messages so much more.

And oh , as much as I love Song Hwa , I’m happy that today’s playlist was instrumental! :joy:

Edited by Guest

@dairymilks I don't have time to backtrack. Sorry. They usually credit the Netflix subbers normally but not for this series I don't know why.

The subber is subbing the gist. Missing words. Or changing the tone to sounding very casual and modem. The Reply series has always had thoughtful lines. Choosing the wrong phrase makes it sound trite. I don't know how to explain it but when you listen to it you feel the impact to your heart. I can't recall the scenes but off hand- dinner time here- to look for it. The room scene with Ik Sun. The one with Wu-jun.

Plus I am a fan of actual translation because you get the Korean feel. Check some of the scenes with English words in them. The words are not translated. I just don't know how to complain to Netflix. I am a subscriber so I can. What I have done is just repeated scene again and didn't bother with the subs.

It I want to make a judgment call I would say this subber is new and also young. I have seen some of the other names for other dramas before.

Before I go off topic I need to comment on the episode. Let me see, how come everyone is eating dosirak and not the hospital canteen?  By the way the sandwich place is a franchise right? I recognise it but can't recall the name if it's the same. I am a Paris Baguette person when I go to Seoul you see. And the artisan bakeries.

And I laughed at how mean Jeong Wan when he asked the resident to view the video. I presume TOF is the Tetralogy of Fallot surgery. I can't even begin to speculate how many hours of surgery it will be.

• Insightful 3

@triplem the drama in itself is a spider web, hahaha. It will get more complicated after this. And it is a joy to be made guessing of the unknown. Every episode is a roller coaster of emotions. Let's continue to enjoy the ride while we are it :kiss_wink:

@kokodus oppa JWan is getting a good girl, may even beat our resident primadonna in rap! :D

• Like 1
  • Love 3

@miracle23 the rap siblings made my day. When I first watched it, they were just too fast I didn't understand what they were saying. Hahahaha. I hope they show more of Ik sun in the coming eps, she works far away from the hospital so i'm worried that she might not appear often. Sighh. 

• LOL 3

@ck1Oz It's okay, but thanks anyway. Netflix is large enough, don't understand why they can't find more experienced subbers. Or maybe the fact that their library is so extensive, their content has become mass-produced the need to be efficient. Subtitles back then would take a day or two, but Netflix makes it available in 30 minutes, that could be a factor. In the previous eps, I actually saw them crediting the subtitles to different people, but in episode 4 no one was mentioned. 

Hello!!! I can’t believe im here again after so long with my busylife!

just want to dropped  by to say I really love this series so far! Im a sucker for friendship drama.

actually when I watch the first episode, I’m wishing that no love lines between the 5 friendS. I don’t want to be in a reply lovelines again.

And I’m really glad when the side characters showing up. 
episode 2, i actually like ikjun with dr jang although she likes JWon, I still think Jwon is not interested with anybody right now. Then Ikjun become a divorcee.
episode 3 last part makes me smile because of Dr ahn and SH.  He treats and see SH differently. 

episode 4, Iksun is such a nice character, a major army vs a jerk dr. Im Very looking forward to episode 5 for JWan. When iksun said he visited her 4 times, it just hit me that there will be something. And the jealousy part make me think, then the last part when he shows up at the camp makes me giggle.

anyways, all in all this series never disappoint me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, triplem said:

Agreed !!!! I had this inkling that Jun Wan likes Ik Sun when they showed his slightly jealous but restrained expression when Captain Ahn came to see her . Plus I warmed up to Ik Sun immediately. Jun Wan’s previous GF didn’t give a good impression. And as you know too , I am a big fan of reliable men. :D That’s why I like the idea of Captain Ahn with Song Hwa , but it’s alright if it doesn’t develop further .

There's this scene of Song-hwa, Jun-wan and Ik-jun having food in someone's office. They're talking about how their taste buds have changed over time. Jun-wan was slurping down spring onion kimchi and SH noticed it and commented on that. JW said that it didn't happen gradually. It just suddenly happened overnight. Looking at that scene in the broader context of the episode, I don't think he's just talking about food. ;)

I feel that this has some bearing on why he's showing interest in Ik-sun. He's been dating different women for a long time unsuccessfully and now for some reason he has turned his thoughts to his best friend's sister. It might be just as unexpected for him as it is for the rest of us that he's preferred type has changed.

It's possible too that the show is saying that people can change... and change their minds about matters they once held to be true or convention. Perhaps it's telegraphing what may come up in the near future. Expect the unexpected. For me, at least, it's too early to be invested in love lines. Besides I'm just ridiculously happy to have both JJS and JKH in the same drama together playing with instruments and scalpels... how good is that?! :D We are seeing something really special. Two men who characteristically play lead roles are sharing the limelight and aren't in some love triangle. How shocking!

I really like Capt Anh on his own. As a man. More than anything it speaks to the quality of the man that he's not intimidated or insulted by his female mentor. There doesn't seem to be a lot of baggage and ego which is attractive. He did something for her even her besties didn't think about. It's not as if he's some twenty-something med student that's barely out of nappies. He's had life experiences in another kind of life and death context. He understands hierarchy and respects superiority. Frankly I think he's almost perfect.

Anyway to each their own. ;)

I guess I'm the only person who doesn't mind Dr Maggot. But she's in great demand among the surgeons for her efficiency I imagine. My feeling is that she's going through some kind of metamorphosis. But I can see the difference already from the first time we saw her as Dr Robot.

Funny how she was almost choking on the kimbap when Jeong-won passed his to her after the meeting. I guess she wasn't aware that he'd noticed. 

3 hours ago, triplem said:

For me this drama is more than just  the romance. There were so many warm & moving scenes that show the struggles & emotions of those in this field & those who depend on them .  Especially in the light of all that’s happening in real life today, I have come to appreciate this show even more  . I really love each episode . I think if everyone can view this the way they watch Prison Playbook instead of stressing over love lines like in the Reply series , you’d enjoy the drama & its little messages so much more.

As you well know, I consider Prison Playbook one of the best K dramas ever made because it did unexpectedly magical things with an ensemble cast. I think that's true of Hospital Playlist as well. It too is doing fun and surprising things with a cast of thousands. At the end of the day I'm just looking for good storytelling and we're getting it in spades here. There's so much going on in each episode. It's absolutely packed. When I think about those nurses who couldn't even sit down and have a proper meal... it's all these little details that make the show come alive.

(I haven't watched any of the Reply shows except 1988 but I couldn't finish it. )

• Like 4
  • Love 5

@40somethingahjumma I know right? Jo jung seok and Jung Kyung ho in one drama? We are indeed living in a surreal world. Lol. Let's not forget Yoo Yeon Seok. I personally love all three of them individually before. This drama has spoiled me, kdramas are evolving I wouldn't mind seeing another ambitious Collab drama like this more often. LOL. 

You are not alone in not hating Dr. JANG. She has not done anything that would annoy me until now and I think her crush on Jeong won is really cute. But I dont know whether he will reciprocate, that we will have to wait and watch. As a doctor, I think she is perfect in her job. The number 1 quality in a doctor is to not feel squeamish. They deal with ugly stuff all the time, if one can't handle that it will be a huge drawback. She reminds me of Dr. House. LOL. She is not a people person, but she gets her job done. Compassion is important too and I don't think she will stay like this forever. As you said, she going through a change, let's hope that she will come out as a loving, caring doctor at the end. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, nrllee said:

No to Andrea being paired with Dr Maggot.  I don’t see him looking at her that way. I did see him looking at the O&G resident though.  I like her. Don’t know her name.  :lol:.  

Yeah I agree that O&G resident seems quite likeable as well. Not sure of her name too, but I feel like she's the woman that Ikjun is looking at in the preview for the next ep (with a woman's voice in the background which I believe sounds like her) 

But then again, not gonna let a preview deceive me ever again :sweatingbullets:

sss.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2

27 minutes ago, kokodus said:

She reminds me of Dr. House. LOL. She is not a people person, but she gets her job done.

I don’t agree that she’s like House. She’s not brilliant like House.  I adore House with his exceptional mind.  She misses details which are crucial to diagnosis.  She comes across (to me anyway) as rather slow and dim?  Not as dim as Dr Do (the old CS resident) but at least he notices details and picks up on patient emotions.  Dr Maggot does neither.  So for me she needs a major makeover for me to like her and even then I don’t think I will warm to her being a candidate for Andrea’s affections.   Sorry but I am harsh like that :lol:

• LOL 4

12 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I don’t agree that she’s like House. She’s not brilliant like House.  I adore House with his exceptional mind.  She misses details which are crucial to diagnosis.  She comes across (to me anyway) as rather slow and dim?  Not as dim as Dr Do (the old CS resident) but at least he notices details and picks up on patient emotions.  Dr Maggot does neither.  So for me she needs a major makeover for me to like her and even then I don’t think I will warm to her being a candidate for Andrea’s affections.   Sorry but I am harsh like that :lol:

Hahaha ok she is not a genius like Dr. House, then again, is it possible for anyone to be like him? LOL. I meant her social skills when I made that comparison. I don't think she lacks in her ability as a doctor. I'm sorry but I can't hate a character in a show like this where the writer intended for every character to be likable. I can't hate her just because I think she is not suitable for oppa. LOL. Everyone has their flaws and her flaws doesn't make me want to roll my eyes, you are more annoyed maybe because you are a perfectionist As you can clearly tell, I'm not and hence I'm more forgiving. Hahahaha. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I just watched episode 4. This drama has long episodes but not a minute of boring stuff.

I like how this show makes me smile a lot. I smiled the whole time when  Ik Jun and his sister had that rap siblings bickering and later, Ik-Jun approving "Captain" Ahn being a friend for his sister; when one of Jun-Wan`s intern felt asleep during surgery just when Jun wan was looking at him, when Dr Jang and Dr Ahn came to heard stories about Jeong Won, respectively, Song Hwa, when Jeong-Won`s older brother sprayed the other priest, when Seok-Hyeong`s phone has started ringing when he was pretending to talk on the phone. I bet there are other nice funny scenes.

We learn more about Seok-Hyeong. He is a mama boy now but he was not always like that. I think he has very careful of his mother after her stroke and after his sister died. I became emotional when he was worried about the pregnant woman with that sick baby or when he saw his mother crying in the rain.

Again, I am impressed how considerate is Ik-Jun with others. When that old doctor kept complaning about the food, he resolved the issue because the young doctor became unconfortable. When he realised that the nurse Song Su-Bin did not eat, he stayed in her place at the reception. I also like the relationship between Ik Jun and his son. How adorable.

Thank God Jeong-Won realised that that boy was being abused. Poor child!

I think Jeong-Won likes Dr Jang too. I noticed like he offered her the sweets. We`ll see how this relationship will go.

I did not expected that Jun-Wan came to see Ik Sun at her military base.

Ik Sun: What brings you here? You came to see me?

Jun Wan: No, I came to eat Jajanmyeon.

:lol: Oh, man, I like that Jun Wan is a man of action. I aprove. I like Ik Sun better then Jun Wan`s alcholic girlfiend/ exgirlfriend. I don`t know if they will become a couple or they are just good friends but they are compatible.

The man who was suposted to give the liver part for transplant was not the son. I knew something will happen with that case.

It looks like next episode will have some heartbeak.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Now that you mentioned it, I'm quite curious how it would play out if Junwan starts dating Iksun :P How would Ikjun react? He seems like the protective oppa given that his chosen specialty is related to his younger sis' condition. I know the time jump per episode makes it harder to see some of the character's reactions but I really think that Ikjun praising Chihong foreshadows his reaction if he finds out his bestfriend is actually going for his younger sis. 

I find it really funny that JKH plays another character who's paired with his bestfriend's sister, he's actually being called "dongsaeng killer" by fans now :lol: 

Also, I found Iksun's comment "just like you and songhwa" (meaning just friends) in relation to Chihong a bit suspicious as we can see  Songhwa's admiration for IJ in the flashback scene. Does it really parallel a platonic relationship or something more hmm :phew: 

there's still so many questions to be answered and still a lot of time until the next episode for it to be solved, really thankful for this thread for keeping sane 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3