[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

Hi chingu! We meet in this thread too :D Very interesting thought. My only question will be why is Luna interested in being a savior? By savior, did you mean the one who saved LG as a boy? Because the savior didn’t have Luna’s demeanor. And if you mean savior as in the end of all this, given that Luna stated she has nothing to lose, then her being a savior would have to become more than what we have been shown so far about her. I also think Luna is not entirely an evil person (seeing how she didn’t want the kid to see her kill the guy at the ice cream place) but her circumstances surely molded her into such a scary person. 

I must give this a lotmore thought.  I just got hung up on the rabbit running, LG chasing and leads him to the rabbit hole so to speak. And then remembered the Alice story about the rabbit saying '"i'm late I'm late for a very important date!" and the date was Alice's trial and execution. Not sure about anything yet though. 

• Like 3

@Tangerinecultivator No. I don't think the doppelganger's mum is LG's real mum. She was just curious of SJ and she was thinking aloud in the car if SJ knew her late son.

@maddymappo LG had explained to JTE before that he had went in and out of the in between before hence he was able to gauge the time.

May I ask what blemishes are you referring to?

I don't recall LR's minions  say they will now live forever.

So far, it seems LR is the only one not aging.

As for your other question, you mean the in between? It's between KOC and ROK.

Nobody in KOC knows unless LG or LR bring them along.

The flute is the key for the pillars to appear and cross over to either side.

As for the salty field where LR meet his minions, I would believe that is in KOC but definitely not in the in between.

@ms_inquiry JTE recognised LG's doppelganger is because she saw a picture of LG when he's young back in KOC.

@1ouise I would think that the ID card was dropped on purpose. 

Because if I were to drop my stuff, I would definitely take it back and not leave it behind like Cinderella did.

7 hours ago, Alice Wonderland said:

Let's assume they have rewind it over and over and we're just about to see when they stop listening to it. 

Ok.. for my sanity sake...

(Whisper) but... the mentioned about the uncle prince's name is much later....... :joy:

@CallieP Regarding side story of SJ.

The first encounter of JTE and SJ would have been how SJ was attracted to JTE and how JTE gets to know SJ.

That explains how they first met. So I don't think it's unnecessary.

And next is whereby SJ got beaten up by his group of friends. 

Most probably he was at his darkest moment and the friends all fell out with him.

Noticed that JTE already knew SJ by then.

And that could have cemented SJ admiration of JTE and how he grew to like her quietly.

Again, I don't find it unnecessary as it showed us part of the history of their friendship and they go way back since high school.

So I thought it's pretty sweet and how they have each other's back.

No wonder LG is jealous of SJ... :sweat_smile:

On a side note, why do some believe that the other saviour cannot be JTE herself?

I have learned  not to base on silhouette. It can be deceiving at times. Or the jacket worn could have disguised the size of the saviour too.

Logically speaking,  saviours of young LG will be person who are close to him.

So it could either be JTE and LG or LG and SJ?

I would love to think that LG knows JTE is more than capable to protect herself.

JTE is afterall his Queen!!! Hahahahaha

• Like 9
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

On a side note, why do some believe that the other saviour cannot be JTE herself?

I have learned  not to base on silhouette. It can be deceiving at times. Or the jacket worn could have disguised the size of the saviour too.

Logically speaking,  saviours of young LG will be person who are close to him.

I would love to think that LG knows JTE is more than capable to protect herself.

JTE is afterall his Queen!!! Hahahahaha

Honestly I would love it to be JTE :D and the drama did decide to have a scene where she proves her shooting accuracy twice. Though I think SJ is still most likely due to the time spent to build up his character.

Wouldn't it been kinda great if JTE was the shooter/savior and it would then have been revealed early in the drama that young LG developed a crush on her due to her being such a cool badass?

Even though it didn't play out like that it still makes sense of LG to fall quickly for her since the very existence of the ID card indicates that someone related to her a friend/ally is a brave and good person (since they are the his savior). The ID card --> proof of the existence of the shooter/savior i.e proof/reminder of the fact that there are good and brave people - which is good since the traumatic event might otherwise just become a horrible event that would have proved that there exists horrible people who kills their own brothers and tries to kill a child in anger. When I started watching the show I thought LG was going to fall fast and hard for JTE because of her badass-ness, honesty and rudeness (empty politeness is something that you are constantly surrounded by when you are an important royal). 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

38 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

I would think that the ID card was dropped on purpose. 

Because if I were to drop my stuff, I would definitely take it back and not leave it behind like Cinderella did.

The ID was not dropped. It was grabbed/snatched by LG

xhSFl9x.gif

• Like 3
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 3

I personally think the Alice and Wonderland arch is finished in particularly to the rabbit. Luna gave the rabbit jacket to the boy as if completing “the” objective. Most likely some themes of the novel could continue, but I’m learning towards the “King Arthur and His Knights” Arch starting. 
King Arthur and his knights. Who are the knights? 
Knight 1: JY or ES. 
knight 2: SJ 

knight 3 : JTE or Luna or maybe even both. She’s also the Queen. 
knight 4: Jang Mi ——Honestly, to me he is quite interesting. Another red herring. I noticed that when JTE went to visit the police station in Corea,  he was not with the police duo. His a duality. Not looking the part of a  police officer, etc. I think he plays a bigger role. 
Could Luna or JTE be the savior of young LG? It’s possible. If we are looking through the eyes of a child it’s highly probable. I remember when I was a child time was slower, and everything looked bigger. So contrast could play a big part of LG’s remembrance of that day. 
Children play a significant role in this drama. Most likely it’s the beginning,  and the end  to it.    

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Carmarie said:

Therefore, I would not want to see the king involved in scandals,or punching people out.  If you cannot control your own emotions, how can you control an empire.  Being crass and reckless, does not mean having  depth. 

This, I couldn't agree more!! I love how the writer wrote him as charismatic and inteligent as he is now. He doesn't need to be fragile to make him looked hurtful and traumatized. I like how differs his emotions through his gestures showing how shaking he was when one of her father murderer mock him even after what they've done. He keeps his cool and thinks carefully. Respect for our pyeha!! 

3 hours ago, Nikaa94 said:
이민호 저때 점퍼 멋지네요
Lee Min-ho, the jumper looks great    

I'm glad I'm not alone here. I love how they end it there, he appears gracefully with that gorgeous look! And I think that jumper looks even cooler because of him. Well everything looks stunning wherever he's in. Like LG's said he can't hide. Yes, he cannot hide his handsomeness. Goshhh... :love:

Also when he declares to SJ that he could be possibly his king. Aww... the tone of his vocal sounds deeper and full of charisma. LOVED it! 

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

Ok.. for my sanity sake...

(Whisper) but... the mentioned about the uncle prince's name is much later....... :joy:

Well probably JTE had told him about this. I know what you mean but well blame the editing. Lololol

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

No wonder LG is jealous of SJ... :sweat_smile:

JTE has confirmed to him HE is the one she loves. So that jealousy has gone away. I want they really visit Hongdae for another doll shooting date, she promised to get him a big bear as him this time. Hey, I find it very cute how they put the lion lied down on the side of JTE's bed. 

1 hour ago, mrsj3n said:

As how protective she is when she's taking care of his phone and listed him some important numbers. Get him the doll revenge, checked on him before working or being pretty worried when she hears him getting hurt. Aww... how can some still think that they lack of romance here, the writer is showering us with lots of sweet moments if you see closely here. This simple little things come as very romantic love ever! 

And I can't get over how sincere and lovely his answer to her that he loves her whatever she does or however she'd be, aww... love that beautiful scenes! Such a heartfelt confession of the two. :wub:

• Like 8
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, CallieP said:

I was watching Season 2 again and had two comments.

I did not see any comments earlier about these two back stories on how JTE met SJ.

There were ...and were way.... back.... 

So, I am going to talk about this, the scene at the Tae Kwan Do studio and the one where she saved SJ from a beating from fellow school mates.  Why do we need two separate back stories and that made it more confusing.  At first, I thought he fell for her looks at the window  but then we see the rescue scene. (Recognize the other student staring at her at the window, the same time as SJ?  He is the same as the soldier at the funeral LG attended in Corea, and the student JTE beat up later when she rescues SJ.) 

Yes, we did recognise the soldier.   The scene at the window showed how both of them got to know each other.  The scene of the fight with the bullies ended, showed how the trust that they have is very significant and will be a crucial point later in making decision.  I can see that after last week's episode SJ and JTE might have a very serious talk of "why didn't you tell me earlier especially about the info in the 2G phone""I thought we trust each other enough" "how come you can trust this stranger more than me" ---> I'm making my own dialogue ... we can laugh about it later....:lol:

Oh I forgot... the way JTE called him "hyungnim" and not just Oppa... also interest me a lot.  

Does SJ need so many back stories to explain his role in the drama while the king is neglected?? <_<

Maybe more of the King's backstory will be in the next few episodes..... 

@bebebisous33 and @vangsweetie637 Your discussion about the liquid etc... brought me back to school.  Great interpretation ...... 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

%ED%81%AC%EA%B8%B0%EB%B3%80%ED%99%98%EC%

"The King," halfway through its airing, is still running solo to No. 1.
May 12, 2020

The King: Eternal Monarch (hereinafter referred to as the King) has maintained its No. 1 spot on the weekly Wavve drama chart, rising slightly from the previous week.
Airing its eighth episode last week, halfway through the entire 16-episode series, "The King" raised tensions with the emergence of a new character from Kim Go-eun, who plays a dual role. Kim Go-eun perfectly plays the opposite character of Jeong Tae-eul, a righteous detective of the Republic of Korea, and Luna, a criminal of the Korean Empire, making the parallel world, a world view in the drama more attractive.

http://thetravelnews.co.kr/05/312244/

• Like 11
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 4

Just a little theory regarding http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2020/05/11/the-king-number-theory-for-richard simmons-part-1/. Come to think over it, those number are quite randomly selected. Like, why 17, 47, 63? (Not quite sure but just trying to connect the dots...this could mean nothing...) How about Euler’s number in reverse order? 2.718281828459045235360287471 -> 174782063532540954828182817.2

17 Times JTE calls LG/JTE wishes. 47 JTE score to pass. 63 Dreams of ES. 32 Palace worker saw LG. 40 IG accounts. 5 People LG can trust.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 5

On 5/9/2020 at 11:45 PM, mychoiyoung said:

He did one for Gangnam Blues, I dunno if you guys watched that. LMH was extremely good in that.  LMH  had a sex scene with Kim Ji Su.  However, the scene was removed by the Director and not shown in the film. Rae Won had one and it was shown. 

Did not know he really did a sex scene but taken out. Bummer!

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

The ID was not dropped. It was grabbed/snatched by LG

It's nice to read all your theories here. I will have to digest everything coz most theories make sense. 

I just have a question about this scene though, why was the ID not in the pocket of the saviour? Why was the lace hanging like that, that makes it easier for young LG to grab it? That's why some people thought it was deliberate. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, mamabear said:

It's nice to read all your theories here. I will have to digest everything coz most theories make sense. 

I just have a question about this scene though, why was the ID not in the pocket of the saviour? Why was the lace hanging like that, that makes it easier for young LG to grab it? That's why some people thought it was deliberate. 

He would not have known whether the little kid is conscious enough to grab it, thus checking of the pulse.

And how could he have timed it so well that the moment LG held on to the lanyard and that's the time he should get up? He couldn't have seen LG's hand movement...

Some scenes are just what it is. When we try to read too much into it, we'll get headache :P

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, syntyche said:

"The King," halfway through its airing, is still running solo to No. 1.
May 12, 2020

The King: Eternal Monarch (hereinafter referred to as the King) has maintained its No. 1 spot on the weekly Wavve drama chart, rising slightly from the previous week.
Airing its eighth episode last week, halfway through the entire 16-episode series, "The King" raised tensions with the emergence of a new character from Kim Go-eun, who plays a dual role. Kim Go-eun perfectly plays the opposite character of Jeong Tae-eul, a righteous detective of the Republic of Korea, and Luna, a criminal of the Korean Empire, making the parallel world, a world view in the drama more attractive.

http://thetravelnews.co.kr/05/312244/

I search and I was shocked because I read that Wavve had nearly 15M subscriber :hushed:(and this is August 2019 date news) and according to same news , that era Netflix Korea subscriber nearly 2M 

• Like 9
  • Awesome 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@vangsweetie637 I tagged you for the analysis with Alice in Wonderland.:) Let me know what you think about it. 

Actually, Luna has been very protective of children, not just the one at the ice shop, she was very nice to the boy with the yoyo. She even gave him the rabbit jacket. And this is the reason why I believe that Luna will betray Lee Rim in the end because he has the exact opposite attitude towards children.

It is fascinating that we both used Physic laws to explain a fantasy story, why the balance between the two worlds has changed.

You are right, Lee Rim's move is quite dangerous as he lets people kill their doppelgangers. It was as if they have lost a part of their soul in reality. 

thanks for tagging me. Made it much easier for me find it :) Great analysis as always! reading the Alice in Wonderland post made me think a bit harder, only because as I said, the story of Alice is something I am not too familiar with. However, with your explanation, it makes sense in its tie with this drama. Since I am not too familiar with the characters of Alice in Wonderland, I do want to touch on the subject you mentioned about Time. This concept is emphasized greatly in the drama, through a watch kept by LG, the world between 1 and 0, and the portal of the parallel worlds. Time even stops when one passes through the portal. I am actually much more interested in the in-between world than the parallel worlds, simply because of its surrealism. I always found it fascinating that for a drama that isn’t time traveling, Time is so crucial. This is why I keep thinking that there has to be a future world too, somewhere.

I really like how you connected the objects in Alice in Wonderland to the objects in TKEM. That watch of Lee Gon was always fascinating because according to him, it is the only one in a million. This means that Time is of essence to LG. And the world where there is no Time, no essence of air, water, growth...the context of that world is so surreal that it makes me question if we are dreaming a dream like Alice was. Initially, if I got it correct, it turns out that Alice was only dreaming right? Also, a few mentioned Alice through the Looking Glass. Is this a separate book or was the looking glass an object in the book itself, too? Lol, sorry as I said earlier, Alice in Wonderland is one concept I am not familiar in context but i am interested in the looking glass :D

i also believe that Luna is not as cruel as we are seeing her. Her protective side of children is almost so motherly that i could not help but wonder why she is molded to be the way she is. Perhaps this is to reflect the opposite of LR as you stated, and will cause her to betray him. 

I think it’s amazing that we are using what we know to make sense of a story like this. And it makes the connections and discussions even more in depth :D

Edit:

@ktcjdrama chingu, good to see you here too! :D

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

29 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

Episode 9 preview with Eng sub. :wub:

@Chellsee I love that whole ES/JY translation now in the Netflix official preview for ep.9....total dead giveaway its ES in KOC. Other non-official eng subs vids on YouTube had shown that part as him saying "what" "oh", but in actuality Netflix official ep 9. preview shows "Yes Sir...what" haha....JY would never say "Yes Sir" to any of his underlings [since he's their captain after all] so it must be ES there then !!!  :fearful:

-------------------------------------------------------

Baby JY finally cracking a smile at a girl :love:

jZ9m9W.gif

• Like 10
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

202005121020774803_5eb9fa5c614ee.jpg

Lee Min-ho of "The King," a kind and sincere man who is loved in the field.The driving force behind The King's teamwork.
Actor Lee Min-ho is leading the field atmosphere of "The King: Lord of Eternity" with his friendly charm.

Lee Min-ho plays the role of Lee Gon, the emperor of the Korean Empire, in the SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King: Eternal Monarch," which is sending shivers in the hearts of viewers with his cool charisma of the monarch and his emotional acting ripening as the episodes go on. Lee Min-ho, who is showing the perfect essence of the emperor and causing excitement, is also drawing attention as he is leading the atmosphere with a friendly and thoughtful aspect at the filming site of "The King."

Lee has been filming in and out of Seoul, South Jeolla Province and Busan since late October last year. Despite a series of difficult emotional scenes and concentration from parallel world fantasy romance across the two worlds, including horseback riding, Lee Min-ho keeps smiling all the time, relaxing fellow actors and staff and making teamwork stronger.

In response, Lee Min-ho's cheerful smile, unlike when he played the solemn emperor in the behind-the-scenes cut released on the 12th, draws attention. The bright smile that comes out when the cut sign falls even after being immersed in emotions makes you laugh.

In particular, Lee Min-ho's careful consideration and heart-warming aspect, which shines silently even in minor moments are heartwarming, such as leaning toward senior actor Kim Young-ok and making friendly eye contact, taking care of his condition by stroking his best friend Maximus, and helping in setting up props with his staff. His features were also shown through making videos and actors' SNS, boasting a strong teamwork with his colleagues in a friendly atmosphere.

Lee Min-ho's cheerful and caring personality has been mentioned consistently among his fellow actors, staff and directors. He also seems to have a lot of trust and affection for him on the set of "The King." Kim Go-eun said in a previous production presentation that he was a "very good senior" and showed affection for being able to comfortably immerse herself in acting thanks to Lee Min-ho's help and consideration, and the staff members are praising her sincere efforts and passion for acting, including her generous character.

Lee Min-ho, who leads the filming atmosphere with a strong sense of affection and sincerity that cares about others as well as horse Maximus, sends a warm smile to the viewers.

Meanwhile, as the clash between Lee Gon and Lee Rim (Lee Jung-jin) is imminent, the ninth and 10th episodes of SBS Friday-Saturday drama "The King" will air at 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights from the 15th to 16th, which foretells the tense development of Lee Min-ho.

http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1111351825

Edited by syntyche
  • Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 2

14 minutes ago, Chellsee said:

The King: 1st and 2nd characters, the same face but different characters in the Corea and Korea.

I am really sad for this Team, They explain through article because People can't understand :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 6