[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

32 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Because he can just say that some people killed the king and his son... actually, there was no witness of the putsch, except Lee Gon,  because he was rescued. All the bodyguards were killed therefore in the first timeline, even Lee Gon didn't survive. And since Lee Lim has many supporters, he can get rid of anyone who criticizes him. And he can frame the prince Byeong and his family saying that he wanted the throne for his son. But in the second timeline, Lee Gon survives and can testify what his uncle did.

This needs 4 new seasons to explore possibility and unification of all timelines. Interesting as per this we are watching the second branch of the reality.Makes me wonder, were they no security cameras when Lee Ho was assassinated? Anyhow

1 hour ago, Jad068 said:

But what if this was how it always happened the whole time and that LG saved, saves, will always save kid!LG. Think of it as a fixed point in time (aka his fate). To quote Doctor Who, a show which heavily focuses on and utilizes time travel, “People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.” (This quote is from the episode Blink, Season 3 of the said show).

It means there is no cause and effect, the end is caused by the beginning which is caused by the end which is caused by the beginning caused by the end, essentially a ball. Think of it as a casual loop Terminator style in which when Kyle Reese, in trying to save John Connor, fathered him. If Kyle did not travel back in time then John would not be conceived thereby causing Kyle not to have a reason to time travel in time at the very first place which caused John not to be conceived. So Kyle needs to time travel back in time for John to exist and John needs to exist for Kyle to time travel back in time. As such both events are the cause and effect of each other (a loop/ball).

In TKEM, if LG is indeed the savior, then by traveling back in time to save himself, he has insured that kid!LG will become an adult that will come back to save himself. A loop with no beginning and no end. 

The casual loop is best portrayed by the chicken/egg scenario. In which you need an egg to be a chicken to give birth to the said egg that will become the chicken...

This I agree for the story needs to wrap in this season, Infinite Loop , Eternal King. The only reason I vouch for this.I mean if not LG its Ji-Hun who drops the ID.

• Like 5

The King: Eternal Monarch spoilers; 8 characters who may play big in episode 9

The King: Eternal Monarch is likely to reveal a lot to the viewers in episode 9 and here is a list of eight characters who could play bigger roles this week

The King: Eternal Monarch episode 9 will air on SBS this Friday, May 15, at 10 pm KST and it will take the viewers on a roller-coaster ride. Emperor Lee Gon and Detective Jung Tae Eul will be doing their best to stop Lee Lim from continuing his evil activities. In the meantime, Kang Shin Jae will try to find out who brought him to the Republic of Korea and why.

The upcoming episode of this fantasy thriller will also feature more deaths and the evil moves of Lee Lim as he tries to strengthen his force in both the worlds. Other characters who could play a bigger role in this episode are Prime Minister Koo Seo Ryung, her mother Kim Seong Ae, the King's childhood friend Jo Young and Lee Lim's right-hand man Yoo Kyung Moo.

So, let's find out how these characters are going to keep viewers hooked to screens this week:

Instagram

• Emperor Lee Gon and Detective Jung Tae Eul - These two characters have been loved by the followers of this SBS fantasy thriller because of their onscreen chemistry with each other. This week, the couple will have a more interesting role to play as they decide to stand for one another in difficult times. In episode 9, the viewers can also expect to see them enjoy another date in a beautiful place.
  • Kang Shin Jae – In the shocking cliffhanger of episode 8, it was revealed that this detective was brought to the Republic of Korea by someone from the Kingdom of Corea. The King: Eternal Monarch fans are now curious to know why was he brought to this world at a young age and what happened to his doppelganger. The viewers are likely to get the answers to all their questions in episode 9 as the detective tries to find out more details about his past.

The King: Eternal Monarch poster
  • Lee Lim - The royal traitor who killed the father of Emperor Lee Gon has been an interesting character since the premiere of this mini-series. Apart from being a power-thirsty Prince, he has always been good at targeting weak people. For the past 24 years, he has been working hard to create a strong army against his nephew and the current ruler of the Kingdom of Corea. It is worth noting that he has been successful in this mission to a certain extent. So, it will be really interesting to watch him start making his final moves this week.
  • Prime Minister Koo Seo Ryeong and her mother Kim Seong Ae – The powerful lady from the Kingdom of Corea now knows about the existence of her doppelganger. But she has no idea about how to trace this person. In the ninth episode, she may use all her powers to find out more about this person and could even try to get rid of that woman. Meanwhile, her mother might go through a lot of challenges because of Lee Lim. It remains to be seen if she will share the secret with anybody in her friend's circle.
  • Jo Young – The childhood friend and the most trusted bodyguard of Emperor Lee Gon is sure to surprise the viewers by displaying the softer side of his personality this week. He has always been a very loyal security person with a serious personality and a lot of attitude. The viewers noticed a change in character for him after he met Myung Na Ri in the Republic of Korea last week. New details about their budding romance could be revealed in the upcoming episode of this fantasy thriller.
  • Yoo Kyung Moo – Prince Imperial Geum a.k.a Lee Lim's right-hand man, Yoo Kyung Moo, has been too busy lately. Meeting a lot of new people and offering them a better life in another world has always kept him busy and now, he is being assigned to a new job. He will have to trace criminal Luna and try to convince her to join the team. The viewers will get to know more about this deal in episode 9.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/king-eternal-monarch-spoilers-8-characters-who-may-play-big-episode-9-44832

• Like 7

@madmad min Remember that this happened in 1994 and back then, there weren't many CCTV... it is different nowadays. Moreover, CCTV can be erased and even replaced. Someone in control can even fake evidence. Like I said, it is easy to frame others, to justify your actions, once you have placed your people: infiltration and elimination of every possible opponent.

Let us not forget that Voldemort was able to take control of the new wizard government without showing his face.   

• Like 6
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

Lmao! I was casually checking who liked my last comments then all of sudden someone by hilarious account name popped up called Jangmi92 with this pic avatar.. 

5ea8d370c79eef2eb8030b23-p.thumb.jpg.837

Why didn't I think of that but I might rename my account name to rose93unicorn@net in honor of the great Jangmi 

• Like 1
  • LOL 12

Wow, I tried to not log in for 1 day (because of work) and this thread is already at page 243? And we're only half-way? You are all amazing and full of energy. Plus I never get tired reading at your detailed explanations. 

So happy to see the drama Rank #1 in Netflix, even in SoKor. Congratulations to the TKEM team! Would anyone know if they're close to concluding filming? Couldn't bear the thought of them wrapping up and doing their last shooting day.

Anyway, what really amazes me is the plot that KES has laid is a solid groundwork that could easily branch into a multi-verse of possibilities so wishful thinking is for this to be expanded into more episodes...but that seems impossible now since a new drama is slated after TKEM Episode 16. :sweatingbullets:

I just wanted to let you all know that me and my friends are already in the verge of creating powerpoint slides of TKEM! Just for fun :lol:

• Like 10
  • LOL 6
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, gwin said:
1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

This means that in the first timeline, Lee Rim succeeded with his coup d'Etat and became the new king of MOC, then with the Manpasikjeok, he went to ROK. So maybe the one who rescued Lee Gon in the past is not Lee Gon from the future as he had already died but his doppelganger Ji Hun from ROK. Since they are doppelgangers, Ji Hun look him alike. Furthermore it would explain why he could drop an ID from ROK as Ji Hun was living in ROK. 

Why would he become the new King?  If he had succesfully taken the flute, he would still be considered a murderer in Corea and would not be next in line to the throne.

That's the reason why it's so hard to predict who saved young Lee Gon, because we do not know what would have happened had no one saved him.   

I thought it was realized somewhere, some time in the drama that LR was not after the throne after all? That he was the flute all along and his aspirations has always been beyond the throne.

If LG is gone, The Prince succeeds him and all his heirs, right?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jad068 said:

But what if this was how it always happened the whole time and that LG saved, saves, will always save kid!LG. Think of it as a fixed point in time (aka his fate). To quote Doctor Who, a show which heavily focuses on and utilizes time travel, “People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.” (This quote is from the episode Blink, Season 3 of the said show).

It means there is no cause and effect, the end is caused by the beginning which is caused by the end which is caused by the beginning caused by the end, essentially a ball. Think of it as a casual loop Terminator style in which when Kyle Reese, in trying to save John Connor, fathered him. If Kyle did not travel back in time then John would not be conceived thereby causing Kyle not to have a reason to time travel in time at the very first place which caused John not to be conceived. So Kyle needs to time travel back in time for John to exist and John needs to exist for Kyle to time travel back in time. As such both events are the cause and effect of each other (a loop/ball).

In TKEM, if LG is indeed the savior, then by traveling back in time to save himself, he has insured that kid!LG will become an adult that will come back to save himself. A loop with no beginning and no end. 

The casual loop is best portrayed by the chicken/egg scenario. In which you need an egg to be a chicken to give birth to the said egg that will become the chicken...

Interesting, well In Episode 1, we are told that the manpashikjeok has much more power than just opening a portal and maybe this flute (when become one again not just half) has a power to make someone traveling back so LG can be one of his savior candidates

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

Because he can just say that some people killed the king and his son... actually, there was no witness of the putsch, except Lee Gon,  because he was rescued. All the bodyguards were killed therefore in the first timeline, even Lee Gon didn't survive. And since Lee Lim has many supporters, he can get rid of anyone who criticizes him. And he can frame the prince Byeong and his family saying that he wanted the throne for his son. But in the second timeline, Lee Gon survives and can testify what his uncle did.

In History, people who had organized a successful putsch were never accused of treason and murder,. f. eg. Pinochet or Franco. They all justified their actions and even framed others. 

@rambutan IT is based on the observation that someone from the future was sent to the past to rescue Lee Gon. This means that something bad has happened in the future (the first timeline) and it can only be Lee Gon's death during the putsch.

Or LG want to catch LR before he escaped to ROK after committing murder of his late father.

It doesn't make sense if LG is dead in the first timeline when he's small because if that's the case, no one would know how the flute works.

Or another plausible reason is.. LG almost died when LR is almost succeeded in his coup when he is older but LG managed to do a do over before he really pass on.

Do I make sense? :sweat_smile:

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@madmad min Remember that this happened in 1994 and back then, there weren't many CCTV... it is different nowadays. Moreover, CCTV can be erased and even replaced. Someone in control can even fake evidence. Like I said, it is easy to frame others, to justify your actions, once you have placed your people: infiltration and elimination of every possible opponent.

Let us not forget that Voldemort was able to take control of the new wizard government without showing his face.   

Plausible yes, because baby Lee Gon was the only witness there, and I remember the timeline between LR going to ROK , killing his and LH 's doppelganger, capturing Ji-Hun's mom and LG in KOC crying for his father has some days gap. I mean a child injured couldn't possibly start the rituals the very next day right?

@bebebisous33 thanks for quoting HP reference here. Makes me understand the hypothesis more, but that even leads to the fact hadn't LG been a full-proof witness of LH's murder LR would still have been a suspect of the incident that day.I mean LR was a prime suspect immediately after or when LG woke up?:blink: #rewindingepisode1again

Rewatched the first 20 min again...

=================================================================

LR was already the suspect , the TV News did announce the very next day that LR killed LH and escaped while when Doctor Uncle Prince landed in Corea , he asked Lady Noh was Crown Prince Awake Yet or not after the attack which somehow implies he was not the only witness or LR was a already a suspect somehow.

And also LG had his coronation after 6 days LH was killed.That explains the gap I talked about before.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mychoiyoung said:

I thought it was realized somewhere, some time in the drama that LR was not after the throne after all? That he was the flute all along and his aspirations has always been beyond the throne.

Well, he does say that with the flute, you can conquer two worlds. So he was indirectly after the throne and used religion (the Manpasikjeok) as a justification for his putsch.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

41 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Good point. It was stated by LG at some point that LL's plan in the first episode was to get the flute. LR himself in the first episodes states that the plan is to get hold of the flute as well.

I think he wants the flute so that he can become King, and not only King but some kind of God-like figure (perhaps an Eternal Monarch, he already does no age - first step of becoming an eternal being perhaps?). He seems very power-hungry. Killing the former King (LG's father) seemed also to be part of the plan. LL probably believes himself to be the rightful ruler (wouldn't surprise me if he has a "the strong should rule the weak" philosophy).

Someone has theorized earlier in this thread that the flute can only allow its user to travel in time when it is whole. I believe that this is true. If LL wants to become some sort of God-like ruler, it makes a lot of sense to acquire time travel. Time travel can be an incredibly scary weapon . However we don't 100 % yet know the rules of time travel in the TKEM universe. It seems to be going down a Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban route i.e. we see the characters live trough a time line where time travel has already occurred.

LG was saved through time travel in the first episode and like Prisoner of Azkaban there is only one main time line and the characters and the audience will not get to see another one. The time travel always happened...even so it is a free choice by the characters to time travel and it is what creates the past they have already experienced. The time travel is kinda fixed in a way, but it is so because the characters utilize their free will to create that past. Either SJ or LG or JTE will probably choose to travel back in time to save child LG so as to preserve the time line they have already experienced (and obviously to save LG). 

The flute called out to LG, if I remember correctly, is this because when his father died he became the rightful wielder of the flute (as well as of the sword)? Does this mean that LL needs to kill LG to be able to completely master the flute? 

Edited by ms_inquiry
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

45 minutes ago, mrsj3n said:

Or LG want to catch LR before he escaped to ROK after committing murder of his late father.

It doesn't make sense if LG is dead in the first timeline when he's small because if that's the case, no one would know how the flute works.

Or another plausible reason is.. LG almost died when LR is almost succeeded in his coup when he is older but LG managed to do a do over before he really pass on.

Do I make sense? :sweat_smile:

Well, let us not forget that the Chronicles of the three Kingdoms do exist for real, which means that it does exist in ROK. So a similar object (like the 4 Tiger Sword) could actually exist in ROK too.

The thing is that unlike in Prisoner of Azkaban, there are two worlds with doppelgangers. So while still thinking that Lee Gon went to the past to save himself (parallel to Harry Potter), it would be far more interesting if it was Ji Hun who saved Lee Gon implying that both exist in order to maintain the balance. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Netflix The King

#1 Korea

#1 Pihilippines (for 3 days )

#1 Hong Kong (for 2 days)

#2 Sri Lanka 

#4 Peru

Just these I can see on TW

#1Malaysia

#1Singepore

#1Vietnam

#1Thailand

2#Taiwan

2#Peru

4#Japan

10#India

These are some of the remaining I know while there are others but  it's time consuming tracking them. I will do it sometime later

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, mychoiyoung said:

I think I posted this somewhere, not sure here as this site moves SO FAST & cannot check anymore which page but here is my take re amount of screen time for the actors and characters - 

Hmmmm perhaps still too early to say but I sense a pattern here in terms of distributing the actor-character highlights when writing scripts —

1. Then – for epis 13-14 will be LMH; It is the King’s turn to show his stuff; Altho he has been magnificent since 1st episode. He isnot THE KING for nothing!
  2. Epis 15-16 will be the assemblage of all the main characters, minus some probable casualties. And of course focus on the resolution between our OTP/s.

So God save us, If we will wait until last 4 EP for Lee Gon, then I will prepare so beautiful words for KES and I am scary person when I get angry

Awwww. I miss LMH in City Hunter.  I wonder what will it take for him to consider doing a Season 2 of this.  The director says he was game for it and will only do it with LMH. Pleeeeaaaase Min-ho?

9 years passed, this is impossible now 

6 minutes ago, Heilo said:

#1Malaysia

#1Singepore

#1Vietnam

#1Thailand

2#Taiwan

2#Peru

4#Japan

10#India

These are some of the remaining I know while there are others but  it's time consuming tracking them. I will do it sometime later

These are today or yesterday?

• Like 3
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, let us not forget that the Chronicles of the three Kingdoms do exist for real, which means that it does exist in ROK. So a similar object (like the 4 Tiger Sword) could actually exist in ROK too.

The thing is that unlike in Prisoner of Azkaban, there are two worlds with doppelgangers. So while still thinking that Lee Gon went to the past to save himself (parallel to Harry Potter), it would be far more interesting if it was Ji Hun who saved Lee Gon implying that both exist in order to maintain the balance. 

Ji Hun as in LG's doppelganger?

But how would he know how to unless LG will finally meet his doppelganger soon.

For LR to have mercy for LG's doppelganger is shocking.

But if his purpose is to bring the doppelganger over to KOC so that he can abdicate the throne to LR  without objection (just like how they did with the big company in episode 7).. so it is also possible.

Finally get the time to rewatch episode 7.

Saw the scene of JTE and SJ shooting without earmuffs. Lol.

And the audio which JTE shared with LG stopped about the K stadium and the number of seats.

How I wish JTE let LG listen finish!!!

• Like 5

Funny I am on this board when most of the King fans I think are out.

We are with handsome king and beautiful JTE in the other universe. :) Did you not get the message to meet in bamboo forest? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

21 minutes ago, ms_inquiry said:

Good point. It was stated by LG at some point that LL's plan in the first episode was to get the flute. LR himself in the first episodes states that the plan is to get hold of the flute as well.

I think he wants the flute so that he can become King, and not only King but some kind of God-like figure (perhaps an Eternal Monarch, he already does no age - first step of becoming an eternal being perhaps?). He seems very power-hungry. Killing the former King (LG's father) seemed also to be part of the plan. LL probably believes himself to be the rightful ruler (wouldn't surprise me if he has a "the strong should rule the weak" philosophy).

Someone has theorized earlier in this thread that the flute can only allow its user to travel in time when it is whole. I believe that this is true. If LL wants to become some sort of God-like ruler, it makes a lot of sense to acquire time travel. Time travel can be an incredibly scary weapon . However we don't 100 % yet know the rules of time travel in the TKEM universe. It seems to be going down a Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban route i.e. we see the characters live trough a time line where time travel has already occurred.

LG was saved through time travel in the first episode and like Prisoner of Azkaban there is only one main time line and the characters and the audience will not get to see another one. The time travel always happened...even so it is a free choice by the characters to time travel and it is what creates the past they have already experienced. The time travel is kinda fixed in a way, but it is so because the characters utilize their free will to create that past. Either SJ or LG or JTE will probably choose to travel back in time to save child LG so as to preserve the time line they have already experienced (and obviously to save LG). 

The flute called out to LG, if I remember correctly, is this because when his father died he became the rightful wielder of the flute (as well as of the sword)? Does this mean that LL needs to kill LG to be able to completely master the flute? 

This is a well thought out post. I agree on some theories but I disagree on others. Example There is a possibility of Lee Gon's having a son who dosen't exist yet coming to save LG but most probably it's himself or even JY could have done the tour back in time but I doubt he would carry with him the police badge of JTE so it's most likely either LG or his unborn descent if there will be one in the storyline 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1