[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

8 minutes ago, madmad min said:

There are 2 people see, uh The one who shoots the minions of LR escapes (one with Blue shoes) before one of the Person in LR's team asks him to leave because Royal Guards may come at any time , Then when LR is leaving / about to leave another Person with black shoes appears who does shoot But not on any person , he is shooting on the case where the flute was kept, meanwhile LR leaves and then HE the one with black shoes Drops the ID Card after checking baby LG's pulse.

That is why I suspect LG is the one checks the pulse , the actual one who creates commotion escapes initially.

I think you misunderstood what I said.  If time travel is involved, one of the main "rules" is that you cannot save yourself from the dead.  If you already died, there is no "future" you.

Assuming that no one came to save young Lee Gon in 1994, he would have died.  That means there's no adult Lee Gon, since the young Lee Gon died in 1994.

Thus, it has to be someone else who goes back in time and saves young Lee Gon.  It cannot be this Lee Gon we are seeing right now.  Once you save young Lee Gon in 1994, a new alternative timeline is created where Lee Gon grows into an adult.

• Confused 3
  • Insightful 1

I've been thinking about the time traveling aspect of this show. This for sure happened since we have a 2019 ID making appearance in 1994. Usually the reason for time travel is because there has been a timeline done, something unfavorable happened and someone wants to change the past... In our story here, I wonder what had happened in the future, that required (sending) someone to go back in time and save young LG so as not to be killed by LR.

Any thoughts on this @bebebisous33?

• Like 8
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, KY L said:

Anyway, after catching up on the last episode, I have some thoughts/theories on some of the plot points. Needless to say, spoilers ahead.

4. I think the time traveler who saved Lee Gon is Shin-jae. We all know that SJ has to return to the Kingdom of Corea. He's a sharper shooter than Tae-eul. His real mother was the one who stole TE's ID so maybe he's traveling back in time to right her wrongs, thus the ID ended up on him. And because he has an unrequited love for TE, he would do anything to protect her and the people she cares about, including Lee Gon. As the second lead with a sad background story, I see a strong potential for this character making the greater sacrifice to save the world

Side note: 

The Prime Minister character so far still feels completely left out of the plot. She's still several steps behind the main couple, and with her meddling in Luna's affairs, who knows what these two will brood up. We know that LR wants to use her power, but I'm not sure if he wants to threaten her with the obviously less accomplished version of her in parallel world, or perhaps use her mom to bargain for her. If she teams up with Luna and LR, then what does that mean for LG and TE?

4. SJ is one of the two guys who returned to save young Lee Gon. The sharp shooter is SJ, while older Lee Gon himself lost the card to young LG. 

Side note: The Prime is an unnecessary character so far. A waste of time and space. We don't need a third wheel; the fated love between TE and LG is too strong. Without the PM, the plot would have been tighter and less boring.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chellsee said:

I'll wait... maybe she'll propose to marry him! ~wishful thinking!~

Nah.. our King already declared she is the Queen. Lol

But come to think of it, she has yet to accept.

So who knows? She will declare she accept being the Queen yah? :wub:

8 minutes ago, rambutan said:

4. SJ is one of the two guys who returned to save young Lee Gon. The sharp shooter is SJ, while older Lee Gon himself lost the card to young LG. 

Side note: The Prime is an unnecessary character so far. A waste of time and space. We don't need a third wheel; the fated love between TE and LG is too strong. Without the PM, the plot would have been tighter and less boring.  

Agreed on the saviour part.

As for PM, every love story has a third wheel. But she could emerge out as a good third wheel who will bow out of the fight and even give blessing to the 2 of them and help them fight LR too.

Besides, so far.. she isn't that annoying yet that she plots something drastic to JTE.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, rambutan said:

For me these are the unnecessary characters:

1.  Eun Sob - seriously he doesn't move the plot forward nor have a character arc on his own, so what is the point

2.  Nari - Same.  Everything she does could be done by other characters 

3.  Jangmi - I'm sorry but why?  

• LOL 3

Every time I rewatch the scenes on which JTE scolds JY and ES, it feels like a mom dealing with her wayward twin children with the dad (LG) just chilling in the background and saying do what your mom says with his nods.

• Like 2
  • LOL 18

1 hour ago, gwin said:

But if no one saved kid LG, he would not be alive and there would be no adult LG.  This current version of LG we are seeing now cannot be the savior.

But what if this was how it always happened the whole time and that LG saved, saves, will always save kid!LG. Think of it as a fixed point in time (aka his fate). To quote Doctor Who, a show which heavily focuses on and utilizes time travel, “People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.” (This quote is from the episode Blink, Season 3 of the said show).

It means there is no cause and effect, the end is caused by the beginning which is caused by the end which is caused by the beginning caused by the end, essentially a ball. Think of it as a casual loop Terminator style in which when Kyle Reese, in trying to save John Connor, fathered him. If Kyle did not travel back in time then John would not be conceived thereby causing Kyle not to have a reason to time travel in time at the very first place which caused John not to be conceived. So Kyle needs to time travel back in time for John to exist and John needs to exist for Kyle to time travel back in time. As such both events are the cause and effect of each other (a loop/ball).

In TKEM, if LG is indeed the savior, then by traveling back in time to save himself, he has insured that kid!LG will become an adult that will come back to save himself. A loop with no beginning and no end. 

The casual loop is best portrayed by the chicken/egg scenario. In which you need an egg to be a chicken to give birth to the said egg that will become the chicken...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwzkeEB33YVCoEULK1yuX

• Like 8
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

I've been thinking about the time traveling aspect of this show. This for sure happened since we have a 2019 ID making appearance in 1994. Usually the reason for time travel is because there has been a timeline done, something unfavorable happened and someone wants to change the past... In our story here, I wonder what had happened in the future, that required (sending) someone to go back in time and save young LG so as not to be killed by LR.

Any thoughts on this @bebebisous33?

This means that in the first timeline, Lee Rim succeeded with his coup d'Etat and became the new king of MOC, then with the Manpasikjeok, he went to ROK. So maybe the one who rescued Lee Gon in the past is not Lee Gon from the future as he had already died but his doppelganger Ji Hun from ROK. Since they are doppelgangers, Ji Hun look him alike. Furthermore it would explain why he could drop an ID from ROK as Ji Hun was living in ROK. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Insightful 5

If everyone complaining there are characters should not be included  coz it has no significance, then do you think the writer and PD put them for no reason? This drama needs thorough observation and analysis because I'm sure those characters will always have big participation in revealing those mysteries as the story getting unfold. 

I also read on the previous pages of these thread that romance should be taken out and focus on other part of drama. Do you guys think this will be an interesting without the romance of the two main lead? C'mon just because you dont find chemistry you want to set aside them but damn, most of us hooked because we are fluttered and amaze how they express their love to each other. Maybe some are used to lovey-dovey or tweetums kind of love story but this is totally different. Sincere, straightforward most likely bit of fresh air of romance. But anyway, we still have 8 episodes to go so I'm sure all your questions right now about the drama will be answered before it ends. For now lets continue to support and enjoy the drama while its airing. 

Sorry for my rant, this is just my two cents so your free to agree and disagree with me. Good day! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

This means that in the first timeline, Lee Rim succeeded with his coup d'Etat and became the new king of MOC, then with the Manpasikjeok, he went to ROK. So maybe the one who rescued Lee Gon in the past is not Lee Gon from the future as he had already died but his doppelganger Ji Hun from ROK. Since they are doppelgangers, Ji Hun look him alike. Furthermore it would explain why he could drop an ID from ROK as Ji Hun was living in ROK. 

Why would he become the new King?  If he had succesfully taken the flute, he would still be considered a murderer in Corea and would not be next in line to the throne.

That's the reason why it's so hard to predict who saved young Lee Gon, because we do not know what would have happened had no one saved him.   

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, gwin said:

Why would he become the new King?  If he had succesfully taken the flute, he would still be considered a murderer in Corea and would not be next in line to the throne.

That's the reason why it's so hard to predict who saved young Lee Gon, because we do not know what would have happened had no one saved him.   

Because he can just say that some people killed the king and his son... actually, there was no witness of the putsch, except Lee Gon,  because he was rescued. All the bodyguards were killed therefore in the first timeline, even Lee Gon didn't survive. And since Lee Lim has many supporters, he can get rid of anyone who criticizes him. And he can frame the prince Byeong and his family saying that he wanted the throne for his son. But in the second timeline, Lee Gon survives and can testify what his uncle did.

In History, people who had organized a successful putsch were never accused of treason and murder,. f. eg. Pinochet or Franco. They all justified their actions and even framed others. 

@rambutan IT is based on the observation that someone from the future was sent to the past to rescue Lee Gon. This means that something bad has happened in the future (the first timeline) and it can only be Lee Gon's death during the putsch.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Hello everyone, been lurking a bit and wanted to join in your fun discussions. Hope that is alright :)

I really like this drama, though I share the opinion that the central romance is a bit underwritten/strangely directed. The characters JTE and LG are very interesting and their actors are doing a great job though - which is why I 100% root for them and still enjoy their scenes. When they were sitting at the café and JTE was flirting/laughing with LG to bring his spirits up was really quite sweet - in the best way :D

Other things I loved about ep 7-8

- The comedy was really funny in both episodes, LG's and JTE's faces when Eun-Sup suddenly arrived and LG's and Jo Young's interactions in particular were really entertaining 

- LG expressing his worry that JTE might not have wanted him to come back and her subsequent tackle-hug was really great! This was so good since it expressed the ambiguity of their relationship and of JTE's feelings (which a lot of the audience seems, myself included, have felt) --> if only their relationship scenes had been a bit better structured in earlier episodes I'm sure the romance would be really great. I'm staying optimistic that it might develop and become more compelling during the next 8 episodes though. The preview seems to hint that they will have an emotional discussion.

- LG and Jo Young confronting the restaurant owner and then Shin-Jae were both great scenes. Especially the Shin-Jae confrontation, maybe one of the most compelling scenes in the whole drama. A lot happens, the twist is good and the acting was all-around excellent. LMH's reading of his "It seems that I am your King" line really made the scene impactful. 

Thoughts on clues and possible foreshadowing 

- LG has an interesting fighting style, he moves a bit like a fencer or at least in a sword-art way. Possibly foreshadowing that he will use the sword later in the drama 

Spoiler

I also think he has been spotted using a sword filming

- Jo Young is very dedicated to LG, which has been shown and hinted at a lot, makes me a bit worried that something is going to happen to him

- Now we know why Shin-Jae's past and family has been so heavily featured, I'm going to guess (as others have) that the past scenes between him and JTE is foreshadowing him possibly sacrificing himself for her sake (maybe through saving LG as a kid)

- Will we have a scene between LG and his doppelganger's mother during the next two episodes? If so I wonder how it will play out. But is she living on her written address or is she hidden away by LR? JTE seems to have found her address...

Also are we sure there is a time loop at play? I think the Eternal Monarch title might be about LR desire to become a God-like absolute ruler (he already doesn't age - eternal life?). Though I guess it would be a bit strange to have that as the title of the drama, especially after "The King:" since the wording of the drama's title implies that it has something to do with LG. 

Edited by ms_inquiry
  • Like 6
  • Love 4