[Drama 2019] Her Private Life 그녀의 사생활

larus

5 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Ooh, what if both Eun Gi and Ryan were placed in the orphanage at some point and DM's mom chose to foster Eun Gi instead of Ryan...in an alternate universe she could have chosen Ryan and he and DM would grow up to be pseudo-siblings! (Hello makjang!) Disclaimer, I haven't been analyzing the plot so this is probably totally senseless; I just liked the idea. :D

If I'm not mistaken, DM mom and EG mom meet at the hospital. I assume when both of the giving birth to DM and EG. That's why DM said EG like her twin brother. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dramageek said:

I realy hope that HPL will do Ryan adoption issues justice. Korean International Adoption is a real issue, and emotional struggle faced by korean international adoptees are also real. I have watched few documentaries about korean international adoptee, and the stories really tug at my heartstring. So I really hope Ryan as a fictional character can be potrayed with respect to them. Since the beginning, there are no birth secret, the similarity between Ryan and Sian is hinted since Episode 1, his adopted step mom of Korean Descent and him being adopted abroad also mentioned in ep 2. The possibility that Lee Sol his bio mom also hinted in earlier episodes. So i have high hope that the story won't go into the makjang route.

I find the timing of Ryan Adoption was interesting. If he was born in 1987, and adopted at 7 (i assume he refer to International age, he is US citizen), that means he was adopted in 1994. If I refer to this link https://www.kadoption.or.kr/en/info/info_history.jsp, in 1994 overseas adoption ban was cancelled. From korean ministry of healt and welfare data, in the same year there are 2.262 children adopted overseas. Overseas adoption background from 1990-2000, from 22.129 cases, 20.460 cases was unwed mother.

So I think the childhood story can be utilized more than just an old drama trope. I think the writer intend to create contrast, between Ryan and Eun Gi.  Albeit the same background, both born from unwed single mother, both in artistic field, lived in the same neighboorhood, Ryan and Eun gi having different path in life. Nam Editor chose to put his son into her family registry and let foster parents raised him (open adoption), so she was not separated with her son. Bravely took risk that her name registered as an unwed mother and let go of her chance to marry (due to social stigma). While Lee Sol chose to let go of her son for overseas adoption, maybe hoping for better future for him, coz she was a struggling artist and single mom. Letting go of her son made her be able to start over and had another child, but always regretting the separation. Both kids turn out allright, they become sucessful in their own path. But for Ryan, as korean overseas adoptee, no matter how good their adopted parents are, the scar in his heart still remain. To understand the struggle of an international adoptee, this is a good read https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/magazine/why-a-generation-of-adoptees-is-returning-to-south-korea.html.

So I think the childhood story if done right, can be a nod to overseas korean adoptee. How to deal meeting the biological family after being estranged for so long. How to come to term with dual identity as a korean descent raised in western culture, etc.

I love you analysis. That's what I thought too. All of them have meet before and now their path have being cross again. You can see in the HPL how RG tried to adopt Korean way of life when interacting with the officemate (during the hilarious lunch), dinner with DM parents and also when he speak with Si-an about inviting him to have chicken. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, orion00 said:

If I'm not mistaken, DM mom and EG mom meet at the hospital. I assume when both of the giving birth to DM and EG. That's why DM said EG like her twin brother. 

But what if that was a lie?!? Kidding, I know my scenario is totally bogus but like I said I just like the idea. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

So, its seems this night i will count on you guys for the recap, there's a little chaos in my country during announcement of ellection, and social media been blocked, someone said blocked by government and someone said by hacker.

Hope the internet still going well until tonight, coz if i cannot watch or know the story about tonight episode i definetily will cry 

:bawling:

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, MaybeLatte0402 said:

I am wondering if anyone is also wishing RG should have been made older than DM in HPL so that she'll just call him Oppa just like how she does in real life ... :) #justathought 

Happy Wednesday Everyone :heart::star::blush:

I actually find it refreshing that he never once insisted or even brought up the oppa issue. Too many dramas get hung up on whether the girl calls the boy oppa. From that brief exchange in ep 10, I got the feeling he'd rather she called him Ryan straight out, but understands it might not be as easy for her. I'm glad he doesn't press her on how she addresses him. It's another sign that they are in an equal relationship and that he is secure about it - he doesn't need age or rank to lord it over her, and "oppa" doesn't define their relationship because they are well capable of showing intimacy in other ways that go beyond a mere "oppa".

I'd love it if she manages to call him Ryan by the end of the drama!

• Like 18

Sorry for distracting your excitement of eps 13 tonight. I just want to blabber about Jaeuck's acting or his signature (esp hand in pocket). Is it really disturbing? Some criticize RG's signature while RG and DM kissing. But I think "hand in pocket" is Jaeuck's signature too. I'm so sorry for being overthinking, but I'm so sad that he can't be everyone's idol or favorite actor.    

• Like 6

5 hours ago, annie1234 said:

Me too!! I can’t watch another drama especially romcom genre because I keep replaying HPL episodes. 

Everytime I saw another romcom couple on Youtube, I’m starting to compare them to Ryan and Deok Mi. Especially the male lead! You will never go past Ryan :tounge_xd:

No hope for extention I think, because WWW already set its premiere date. But mayyybeee if miracle happens, pdnim could give us like a special episode again. but it’s very very unlikely. 

For now, I just hope for bluray release and another project for KJW and PMY.

Count me in y’all. In the same boat we row:tounge_xd:

I dropped all currently airing dramas & keep coming back to rewatch HPL episode 1-12. While doing so, i can’t help but noticed there are quite a few cute amusing moments of our leads which are not meant to be funny but did & leaves me with prolonged cackling while watching. I’m going to learn how to make gifs and insert it here.

Can’t wait to watch tonight’s episode.. hope my stream link works well.

Happy HPL everyone

ps: Can we all agree that RG/ KJW is the epitome of the most desirable boyfriend/husband materials? Im swooning ( sorry bae) He is so considerate and respectful even when they’re doing romantic scene together. Take the “sujebi cooking” moments for instance, he doesn’t just dived in for the kiss, he snoop down a little and stop to wait for DM reaction.. and only when DM tilt her head up then finally he go for the smooch. Swooning:love:

• Like 14
  • Insightful 1

11 minutes ago, YearwoodC said:

Sorry for distracting your excitement of eps 13 tonight. I just want to blabber about Jaeuck's acting or his signature (esp hand in pocket). Is it really disturbing? Some criticize RG's signature while RG and DM kissing. But I think "hand in pocket" is Jaeuck's signature too. I'm so sorry for being overthinking, but I'm so sad that he can't be everyone's idol or favorite actor.  

I have been thinking his signature hands in the pocket in this drama could be because of his hands always turning red. Therefore, in order to avoid people noticing it ,he kept putting his hands in his pocket especially when he is with DM.

The hand in the pocket is not distracting one bit, I sorta like it cos I personally do it often and I am a woman,so definitely no big deal. And come to think of it, it makes him more charismatic and sexy ,so its a bonus.

Excited for today's episode.... Yippee

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Aziraphale said:

I actually find it refreshing that he never once insisted or even brought up the oppa issue. Too many dramas get hung up on whether the girl calls the boy oppa. From that brief exchange in ep 10, I got the feeling he'd rather she called him Ryan straight out, but understands it might not be as easy for her. I'm glad he doesn't press her on how she addresses him. It's another sign that they are in an equal relationship and that he is secure about it - he doesn't need age or rank to lord it over her, and "oppa" doesn't define their relationship because they are well capable of showing intimacy in other ways that go beyond a mere "oppa".

I'd love it if she manages to call him Ryan by the end of the drama!

I am actually waiting for them to call each other by name at least instead of from DM's side, "Gwangjanim" as that still is kind of depicting their roles at work even when they are  outside of work already. I was also referring to "Oppa" not as a depiction of who's older or status in life but just a simple  depiction of "romantic interest and/or boyfriend" since their relation in the drama already progressed :blush:

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Hueee said:

new post from OPPA

He knows what the people want! :w00t: Looking so fiiiiiine in that suit. :wub:

ETA: Has this been posted? Well it's worth another look for Ryan fans. :D

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Ok I want to go out on a limb here and say that we might get a proper sleepover... based solely on the fact that in the preview Deok-mi and Yoon-jae are wearing the same outfits at night as they are in the promo stills (which was shot in the sunlight at her place...ok logic could be he picks her up that morning but I don't think so)... It would be a dramatic rhythm change where they have just had a lovely night together and then the day just gets more stressful...

This might be my wishful heart but... we shall know soon enough.

(also really pleased that we were right that the costumes were all co-ordinated!!! makes me so happy)

• Like 7

OH MY GOD

I CANT WATCH TONIGHT EPS FROM INSTAGRAM TONIGHT!

Screw you indonesian government!!!!!!

grrrrhhhh, 

will be depend on all of kind recappers here. please put an image or text, dont put directly from instagram pleaseeeee :tears::tears::tears:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, MaybeLatte0402 said:

I am actually waiting for them to call each other by name at least instead of from DM's side, "Gwangjanim" as that still is kind of depicting their roles at work even when they are  outside of work already. I was also referring to "Oppa" not as a depiction of who's older or status in life but just a simple  depiction of "romantic interest and/or boyfriend" since their relation in the drama already progressed :blush:

I have a thought that DM soon will call Ryan with his childhood name, maybe. Soon as she knows RG's korean name, she called Yoon Jae-ah on chat. Ryan Gold is a sexy name, but Yoon Jae isn't bad. Yeah, she should try calling him by his name instead of "Gwangjanim" when they are alone. 

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Ondine said:

He knows what the people want! :w00t: Looking so fiiiiiine in that suit. :wub:

ETA: Has this been posted? Well it's worth another look for Ryan fans. :D

Soop BTS staff is a girl! Ahhhh I want to replace her... LMAO when she said "Please say something" and my baby Jaeuck just waving his hand. Ahhhhhh this man! I can not....

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

Wow our Lion looks hella fine in that suit :wub: He knows what we want and he delivers!! Seriously the new stills are already heart-fluttering enough, he even dares to post a pic on his insta with that pose, my poor heart can't handle this...

And Kim Jaewook has been posting pic on Instagram with "Lion" captions :D Almost every post since the drama started he includes the word "saja" in the caption, even it's a pic of his pet. I think it's super cute! Suit saja is the best saja so far!!

Looking forward to swooning scenes in new episode tonight:wub:

• Like 7
  • Love 2