[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

0ly40

@Auntie Mame I too think that she was killed by 2 different ppl. But I am not so sure about the emperor that ordered the poison. I am debating between between him and his mother. At first, I was so sure that Yu Ra stabbed her with the hair pin. But then, isn't that too obvious. The scene where the GED threw the hair pin could serve either as a foreshadow but so an intention to mislead viewers into thinking Yu Ru as the murderer, and then the writer could throw in a twist in there...

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the episode.

WS pushed her off a cliff?? That piece of ASDFGHJKL :rage:

Ok now I just want Sunny to avenge Grandma's death and take revenge on LH, YR and WS!!! What even bro?? You're in the same predicament as her - she was also betrayed!! I really don't know how a love arc is gonna happen between the two after this <_<

But a makjang is a makjang.

Expect the unexpected.

We'll just wait and see I guess...

I want to weigh in on who killed The Grand Empress Dowager.  I think the poisoning was done by The Empress Dowager.  She had told her Princess daughter before not to mention that Ari was not her biological daughter or they would be thrown out of the Palace.  I believe Sunny told GED about Ari being the Emperor's and Nanny's daughter, and as a result, the GED had to be killed.  The stabbing, I think was done by YR, because she felt the Emperor and her position was being threatened.  We know she is not above murder since she tried to kill her own mother/step-mother.

It may not have been very (royal) but, I personally like how Sunny, threw water on the Emperor, pulled YR's hair and called them trash.  She later slapped him and pushed him out of the way.  They deserved that and more.  She is standing up to them and I am sure they were not expecting that from her.  I know the Emperor thinks she is a lowlife and trash, but she will be the end of him and YR and I can't wait to see how she does it.  Fighting!!

Guys I think I'm gonna miss Grandmama:tears:  and her crazy wig:lol:

6 hours ago, at2005 said:

I finally caught up. 

-Ms. Hong is still in contact with the former Chief Guard Buyn. What will Ms. Hong's role be in the master plan? Is she as simple as an assistant to the GED? 

-WB purposely raised his hands to fix his suit jacket. I believe he meant for her to see the scar. I think he knew she was there.

So let see how many teams do we have in this game:
Team A: Dowager Empress
Team B: Emperor and Yu Ra
Team C: Woo Bin and Byun
Team D: Empress/Sunny 
Team E: Nanny and Prime Minister

May the strongest man standing.

I also think that Sunny, Woo Bin, Byun may team up too? 

Idk why but maybe Lee Hyuk has a mental disorder? Like he ends up harming a person but can't remember after a point? Maybe he did kill his first wife and then Empress Dowager finished off the murder with her owns hands? 

On a side note - why is Chun Woo Bin so hot?????:w00t::lol:

i dont know why but i just dont think of lee hyuk as killer.. yes he’s pretty crazy but his mother is wayyyy crazier than him.. i think she’s the mastermind of everything.. 

somehow i pity lee hyuk.. despite being the emperor, he still has insecurities and doesnt really has real power.. his mother is  crazy and his lover uses him but he is so blind to everything..

btw i hv a question, does the royal family own a mall? that is so weird..

did u guys see princess so jin’s pink outfit when she was throwing tantrum at the mall coz yura is appointed as ceo? whoaaa that is one crazy outfit.. i wonder if the royal family has dress code at all.. 

@Pam_Van Fossen Before she became an Empress, she was just a common citizen leading a simple life so I don't find her reaction surprising. She cries when feels hurt, screams when upset. I find her reaction is a bit light especially after her husband cheated on her, hired to kill her. Different personality reacts differently when presented a similar situation. I too like her reaction. At least it shows she still has a good heart. The first thing that came to her mind wasn't "I will kill them both".

@msaamia the reason I didn't list Sunny, Woo Bin and Byun because for now, Woo Bin betrayed her. She still has doubt about him. I too will miss the GED. She was the only support Sunny had, now, she has no one to turn to for help against the Emperor (until she could trust Woo Bin), no one to cry to.

@Matilda_Anne I believe so. Just think of it as privately owned property/investment so with the royal family owning the mall or a piece of land etc is normal.

1 hour ago, Matilda_Anne said:

btw i hv a question, does the royal family own a mall? that is so weird..

According to the plot summary, the imperial family owns many investments and companies, and they are responsible for the growth of Korea. But in the drama, they showed they owned a mall and a hotel, aside from others. The mall is just one piece of the many companies they owned.

Looks like the empress dowager stole money from the companies. For me, it shows how greedy this woman is, that even if she is part of the imperial family, she still has the nerve to do corruption. 

I was trying to avoid unfinished drama but "The Last Empress" and "Children of Nobody" lured me in. Among every characters that are in the drama, I find LH's character the most interesting. Yura is one dimensional...a greedy woman who doesn't really like the emperor but just wants to climb up to the top. WS or WB is like Oh Sunny...both of them are starting to grow fangs to live, survive, and fight in the palace (both of them were so innocent and soft hearted--WS couldn't bring himself to abandon his adopted brother and Oh Sunni was so gullible). The Empress Dowager was always conniving. Grandma....the only voice of reason and so sincere, was delightful, but quite one dimensional. 

LH, on the other hand, is very dynamic. He felt inferior when he was just a child because he was compared with his younger brother. He definitely was in love with the first empress and the viewer got a glimpse of his best side before he became the cold-blooded person he currently is. 

LH is definitely not innocent. He threatened the reporter that questioned him at the beginning of the drama...and that was before he found out his own mother was spying on him. He was ready to order the death of Yura to get rid of the only witness to his murder and he was ready to murder Oh Sunny--twice--just so he could get out of the marriage. He's arrogant and pompous...tossing others away and discarding them when he has no use with them. 

Then he has a soft side...as side that yearns for love. He fell in love with Yura not because he really loved her--just a few moments ago...he was ordering her death--because he really think she was one person in this world who really loves him and she demonstrates that by always sticking to his side and sacrificing herself for him. Once she did that for him, he clings onto her...because he had been so deprived of love (his mother is spying on him, people in the palace follows or listen to his mom, his dad looks down at him, his only love left him...only his grandmother really care for him). If he had meet Oh Sunny earlier on, and if Oh Sunny had made a sacrifice for him, he would have just fallen for her just as hard. 

And although he threaten his Grandma by telling her that he didn't want to lose control in front of her and that he wouldn't know what he would do to her if he did lose control, he never lost control and hurt his grandma. If others were slapping Yura and hitting him with a stick, he would have lashed out already, but with his grandmother, he ran away like a regular grandchild. That shows how much he cared about his grandmother even though he made that threat. 

So in a way, LH is pitiful, but it doesn't erase the atrocities he had done in the past and present. He's one of the most developed character in the drama, as of now, and I can't wait to see how he will ultimately fall. 

Man, seeing Ari's reaction after she heard the secret that she is a princess,  and her father is the  king, I am positive that insanity runs in the blood of the royal family.  The kid looked absolutely maniacal.:lol:

And, the swimming pool scene really bothered me.  The thoughts that instantly came to mind were anorexia and death camp survivor. :mellow:  I was really appalled.

December 13, 2018

"The Last Empress" Jang Nara Must Fight Alone

Source: TV Report via HanCinema.net

photo1022908.jpg

On the latest episode of the SBS drama "The Last Empress", Sunny (Jang Nara) declared revenge on the Imperial Family".

Lee Hyeok (Shin Sung-rok) tried to get rid of Sunny and make it look like suicide. However, Sunny made it back thanks to Teacher Byeon (Kim Myung-soo). Sunny also found out about Empress So-hyeon's tragic end. Teacher Byeon was Empress So-hyeon's father.

Sunny was determined not to meet the same fate as Empress So-hyeon by Lee Hyeok and Yoo-ra. She said, "I'm not getting kicked out. I am going to get my justice and leave here boldly".

She seemed so strong in front of Lee Hyeok and Yoo-ra, but she cried in front of the Queen Mother (Park Won-sook). Sunny explained everything and said, "You're the only person I can trust. Please help me reveal the truth". The Queen Mother said, "If the emperor really tried to hurt you, I won't forgive him and I don't care if he's the emperor. However, everything has a process and we can't move too quickly".

The Queen Mother then found Lee Hyeok and slapped him. She yelled, "How is my grandson this nasty? The Empress is a mess, but how can you be such a monster?" Lee Hyeok retorted, "From this moment on, Sunny is no longer empress. I don't care what you say, I'm going to make Min Yoo-ra empress".

Sunny provoked the Queen by threatening, "I am going to reveal the truth about this Royal Family for the people to see, even about Empress So-hyeon". The Queen became angry but Sunny said, "Don't start yet. I haven't even told you what happened 7 years ago".

However, things took a turn for Sunny. The only person on her side, the Queen Mother, was murdered.

Ratings: "The Last Empress" Breaks Through 14%

Source: StarNews via HanCinema.net

photo1022884.jpg

SBS drama "The Last Empress" set a record.

According to Nielsen Korea nationwide, the latest episodes of "The Last Empress" rated 11% and 14%.

The figures increased by 2.8% and 2.5%.

Meanwhile, MBC "Children of Nobody" rated 4.3% and 4.8% while KBS 2TV "Feel Good To Die" rated 1.9% and 2.5%.

1 hour ago, rubie said:

"The Last Empress" Jang Nara Must Fight Alone

Oh god!! What is this drama that the female lead has to fight alone..??!! This is the very first time I am seeing such a lonely character! Please, writer-nim, give her a hope(Wang Sik) to live! :wub: This lone lady won't be able to survive herself!!

finally got to watch ep 7 and 8

ah the pain... the pain is just too strong

next week will we get more heartache?

more gut wrenching moments?

kinda angry with woobin at the moment

although i totally understand him

but because he is hurting sunny, i am angry at him for her

for now he doesn't see sunny as his ally

more like a nuisance a hindrance

if she stays in the palace, he has to care for her even protected her

and he has no time for that especially he is still on a suicide mission

he only has a full on rampage mode on the royal family

and also i think that if she is not part of the royal family anymore then he doesn't have to take her out

i'm not looking forward of him using princess soojin to gain information and stories of the palace and royal family

although its needed and essential but using someone's feeling like that is just too cruel to me

hopefully it will be done in a comedic manner, so i wont feel as guilty when watching it

didnt dare to make predictions anymore

this drama is just too complicated for my simple mind to work,

whatever happened i could never think like that

hahaha

i wonder what kind of surprises our writer would give us next week

for sure it will be shocking, actually even more shocking than last eps

for now, i want to hope for a break for sunny, but i think suffering is done with her just yet

she needs to be rock bottom so that she can rise again

fighting sunny!!!

I was going through Naver and Daum and I wondered why there are so many real time comments popping up. Turns out, the latest episode of TLE is being re-aired on SBS

1 hour ago, chubby^green^ said:

hahaha

for now, i want to hope for a break for sunny, but i think suffering is done with her just yet

fighting sunny!!!

I know. I don't wanna assume or even predict things anymore.

It's also fun to see how there are more viewers now than when it was still starting. I've seen a lot of curse words in different languages in Twitter now :lol: 

One of the comments though which I think makes a point is that it seems history is repeating itself. Before it was Empress Sohyun, The lost bodyguard (brother of the one who tried to kill the emperor in ep 1), Emperor Lee hyuk, and the nanny. And now, it is Oh Sunny, Woobin, Emperor Lee hyuk, and Min Yura.  

1 hour ago, chubby^green^ said:

hahaha

fighting sunny!!!

Agree with you 100%! This is not a logical/theoretical drama for sure! I just hoped for some at the beginning of the series! But there was nothing so, I got bored with the plot! Even the part of introducing Choi Jin Hyuk was just a scene with no theory/logic!!! :tears: And now, Sunny has to fight alone with evil! I can't see any point there. I've never seen a drama character been so lonely!! :sweatingbullets: I have nothing to watch at the moment except The Last Empress... So I thought of hanging on to it even if it has no sense at a time!! Yeah... Let's see what Sunny's got in upcoming eps!!

And I thought Choi Jin Hyuk is a hero type. But he's not. What exactly is his character here..??! First lead or second lead..??! I am not really a fan of him! And with his arrogant character here, I dislike him even more now!! :( Srry Choi Jin Hyuk fans!!!!

Park Kyung Lim who is best friends with both Jang Nara and Choi Jin hyuk sent a coffee truck to cheer them up. But can someone enlighten me with this one...her costume looks like not of an empress..does this mean, she's demoted from an empress to being a servant?

@Matilda_Anne ~ saw your message about poll about who killed grandmother and meant to respond later when I had more time but forgot.. :sweatingbullets: .. my brain! ... next time!

anyways... now that I have watched the last episode, I feel torn about sunny. am like a lot of posters who felt sunny was being a bit over dramatic. she actually reminds me of the crazy fan wars that we have at times in dramas and me sitting back and wondering "HUH?????" .. maybe it is because I see her more as a fan meltdown than a wife that it is hard to sympathize? maybe because it feels like she is more mourning the loss of dream, loss of trusting blindly and faith in people rather than an actual relationship???

would agree with chingus here who felt like she was losing her temper to her disadvantage. every time, she opened her mouth and said "grandmother", was shaking my head. "girl don't leave your cards on the table for everyone to see!".. but would also agree with chingus that her character is naive -- even her sister hel ro would not have fallen for the emperor's tricks so quickly. she also is a musical actress which means that she is more prone to being over dramatic and name dropping as a way to get ahead. it is different to corporate kind of politics where you have to watch who to interact with and hold cards a bit tighter. sunny has never had that kind of experience where she has to watch what she said and her fall from a cliff just pushed her a little over the edge. ^_^

... that said, the person who scares me most is 7 year old ari. omo, what child says with glee "I am not the princess's daughter but am a princess!" and played the grandmother with fake tears. sociopath in the making! :wacko:

Archived