Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018-2019] Empress Dignity / The Last Empress, 황후의 품격

45 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

:lol: of course not... The news said it's a female in 20s-30s and pregnant with twins. And her death is known to public since the palace is in mourning. It will be a big funeral. So no reason to hide her body in the garden.

I do wonder though, with the death of Grandmama, does her instruction of giving Sunny the authority over all the manpower in the palace still stand? Can Sunny remain in the palace? No one, no one, is on her side and backing her up now.... unless Yoon comes back and insist for her to stay.

I don't feel like sleeping now, I want to wait for subs.... :bawling:

Oh God!! I dropped the series too earlier, so I've missed some important parts regarding the plot!! :crazy: But then again, who's the young lady pregnant with twins..??!! :o

1. Former Empress..??
  2. Oh Sunny..??
  3. Oh Sunny's sister..??
  4. Min Yu Ra..??
  5. Ari's mom..??
  6. Princess So Jin..??

I am off with other young female characters since I didn't watch previous eps closely!! Any guesses..??!! :tears:

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

As for the mysterious man...

Hide contents

I think it could be Byun, that's why WS was shocked. Or maybe Yoon. But WS wouldn't recognize him as the young prince. Unless he remembered his face from the fried chicken store.

Edited the preview that

Reveal hidden contents

Dowager was laughing maniacally while in her mourning costume.

Okay, this show is so action packed and moving forward a lot that it made me want to check out the writer's other work. But her other works are daily dramas of 50 episodes? Hmmm, can I stand the makjangness being dragged out for so long....

I also tried to watch her other newer dramas but my attention span can’t endure 50 episodes LOL

The only drama that I somehow got to watch from her is Temptation of Wife. Jang Seo hee got a daesang for that drama. I hope Jang Nara can also have a daesang this year.

for the mysterious man

Spoiler

My suspicion is Yoon. He looks like he is wearing a younger man’s clothes.

• Like 7

wow i havent this week's eps yet because i was waiting for both eps to be ready and also i wanted some relief for sunny

but omg that gal seems to be never able to catch a break

after being framed for having an affair

now it is being upgraded to being a killer

gosh

if this was daily drama i would usually drop these parts and wait for the karma to bite every bad guys in the richard simmons to come back and finished watching

but i just cant leave sunny behind

she needs all the support she can get, sure aint getting much from the palace at this moment hahaha

reading recaps and your guys discussions has already leave me breathless and tired

so many things happen at the same time

gosh, are we on a roller coaster now?

now we all cant wait for next weeks ep because we all should be dying to know how sunny can get away from the murder accusation

sunny ah, i seriously hope you will find utmost happiness by the end of this drama

by the pace you are being used now, it would be a miracle if you dont go crazy like really crazy by ep 20

lor

• Like 8

4 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I shared previously about the stages of decomposition... the thing is, if her body is embalmed, it will take longer time. But still, 7 years is a long time. In fact, it is 8 years since we're going back a year before the corpse was discovered. I'd like to think it's a new body, but who would be pregnant with twins? It is not possible to be Sunny since she is our heroine, I just can't imagine the writer writing off her main lead as dead (still possible though given this is makjang genre). Who has been sleeping around to have the possibility of becoming pregnant? We have 3 candidates as of now ~Sunny, YR, Nanny... 

My next question is will we actually come back to the present time line when corpse was discovered and continue the story from there? Then I doubt it is YR because it would be less interesting not to have her around. Unless, that is the first part of the revenge by WS, and next is about taking down LH. But then again, WS said he wanted to get to YR the last in his revenge. It is still possible to be YR. My imagination is that she was finally given the necklace (unofficially) by LH to be his empress, maybe because she is pregnant, then got killed by whomever while wearing it, so was buried with it. 

New character? Some things are unknown for now.

By the way, 

Spoiler

Could it be that the GED didnt die from the poison, then YR came in and finished her off with the hair pin? 

3 hours ago, violette00 said:

Lmao..I'm rofling..the jump in cold water opened the pores in her brain :w00t:

I thought cold water closed pores..:-)

So much happened while I was away for work. Thanks everyone for the recaps

• Like 4

Oh wow! I feel like this episode was the most story packed that we have had up till now. I was hoping that WS would keep our empress alive, and he came through. Though he cannot show it, but it seems that WS cares about Sunny's well being. Because of his cover and revenge he cannot let on he is on her side, but all of his secret actions are saying otherwise. 

I think as she gets deeper into her investigation of what happened years ago, WS is going to get very busy trying to keep her alive. 

Since she has now met Ninja Uncle, I wonder when Sunny is going to meet DS...or if they meet at all. cause there might come a time when she will have to go into hiding. Maybe at the end after she and WS have gotten rid of the monarchy, they will disappear together and live happily.

• Like 5

I believe that either the empress dowager or the emperor himself did the deed to you know who. Then that preview at the end about giving permission to kill you know who...I am having a hard time trying to figure out how he (emperor) will fall in love with the empress later on, but then again, he did suggest to his own grandma that he will off her if he needs to (a family member he actually loves). I am concerned about the pacing.

Edited by foreverempress
Typos
  • Like 6

This drama is so addicting and frustrating in the same time..Every character is evil, with mean intentions..sunny is way too innocent and naive..the emperor with his golddigger are disgusting..i am wondering how he will fall in love with sunny if she is so hysterical and disturbed right now? He is so in love with YR..based on what it will be the change of heart? I feel so sorry for sunny..god she is all alone now..lied and assaulted by everyone..how she will manage to rise above all and be a dignified empress if she doesn't have any allies? The way CWB tries to gain the emperor trust by hurting sunny isn't a nice method..she needs to get rid of that sick family

• Like 6

My bet is on the Empress Dowager as the killer.  I personally do not want CWB to be the one who Sunny falls in love with.  I have my hopes on Yoon.  Who will step up for Sunny?  Maybe the head guard?  Maybe the Nanny will get the prime minister to help out Sunny.  I personally like the idea of Ari being raised by Sunny.  I really want the emperor to start feeling the consequences of his actions.  

• Like 4

I think people have to  understand if WS did not do it someone who actually did not care for her safety  would have did it and killed her.

He compromise himself twice already for her sake,it may seem like right now she has nothing but enemies but she does have a few allies.

I somehow they  they both going to get accuse  of doing the crime, since I dont think LH a does not trust him much anymore already.

• Like 7

Perhaps she wasn't in his plan at all so he would do anything to gain the emperor's trust and this would mean to kill Sunny. She was just an action item he has to take care to earn the trust. Like his master/benefactor has once said, WB/WS is too kind to be at the palace and for revenge. Because he is kind, he doesn't want to kill an innocent person, but he has to do it in order to succeed with his plan, he is thinking of a bigger picture. I think that is why he is struggling emotionally.

I think the person in the mask that WS/WB was chasing at the end of the last ep was Prince Yoon.

• Like 5

Whew! This drama is so complicated. I really appreciate that about this drama, but it makes it hard to keep track of what's happening to whom and why.

1 hour ago, chowderina89 said:

This drama is so addicting and frustrating in the same time..Every character is evil, with mean intentions..sunny is way too innocent and naive..the emperor with his golddigger are disgusting..i am wondering how he will fall in love with sunny if she is so hysterical and disturbed right now? He is so in love with YR..based on what it will be the change of heart? I feel so sorry for sunny..god she is all alone now..lied and assaulted by everyone..how she will manage to rise above all and be a dignified empress if she doesn't have any allies? The way CWB tries to gain the emperor trust by hurting sunny isn't a nice method..she needs to get rid of that sick family

I totally feel you on this statement. I also think that every character is written with complicated layers so that they are not all good or all evil. Even Sunny who is the "good" character, if you will, can be annoyingly naive and headstrong. The emperor who doesn't seem to realize that he's not overseeing his empire with totalitarian rule, rather this monarchy also serves at the pleasure of its people, plus his amoral lover who will do anything and everything to advance herself are pretty evil, despite the drama's attempt to show us the pain of the emperor growing up as the unfavored child and the secretary/lover who had some hard times. Then again, the sec/lover Yoo Ra was willing to kill the woman who took care of her like a mother and took her unwanted child on as well, so she is really a soulless harpy who deserves whatever pain is ultimately waiting for her. However, Yoo Ra is actually matched in evil by the Dowager Empress who is one scary lady in terms of her ambitions to control everything, including her son. I suspect that the previous Empress So Heon may have been offed by the Dowager Empress because her son, the Emperor, was too besotted with his then wife. Though, given that he boffed his wife's secretary in order to produce Ah Ri, I guess the Emperor may not have been too besotted after all.

I'm assuming that the monarchy is going to fall at the end of this drama, though that may be influenced by the English title for this drama of "The Last Empress", but also because the monarchy deserves to fall, since pretty much everyone in line to rule and near the throne are pretty horrible. Except for Prince Yoon, but smart fellow that he is, he doesn't seem to want any part of it.

I also think that WS and SN will eventually end up together, though whether that will be as lovers or a woman and her bodyguard or something will be up for speculation since this isn't really a romance per se. I'm okay with that since WS seems to be doing what he can to protect SN without blowing his cover. WS did push SN into the water to her "death", but I get the sense that he arranged for SN to be fished out of the water as well. And, if he didn't do it, another person would have been tasked to kill SN who probably would have done a thorough job of it. WS was surprised when SN came back to the palace, but I think that wasn't surprise that SN was alive, but that she would come straight back to the palace even knowing what a dangerous place it was for her. WS has the most complicated set of revenge plans that seem to include pitting the palace denizens against each other. His goal wrt SN, however, seemed to be to try to get her out of the palace entirely. Perhaps now that he realizes that she won't go away quietly, they could team up in some future episode to both get their satisfactions?

And that is why I'm not sure that there will be a romance between SN and WS within this drama, because both of them are still so focused on other people, namely getting revenge on their former significant others. I don't see how an actual romance can bloom until they are both freed from their respective foci of LH and YR, though it's clear that WS feels something, even if it's only sympathy, for SN.

As for Prince Yoon, he seems to have a bit of a pash for SN's little sister, Hello. (Btw, who names these characters. LOL). I'm also wondering what role that So Jin has in all this, since so far, she's just been a flighty, tantrum-throwing entitled princess used mostly for comic relief plus a plot device concerning the Dowager Empress and AR to be brought up as a royal, if not acknowledged by LH.

This drama is strangely addictive. The acting is actually pretty fantastic all the way around. I'm fine with the pacing, especially of the reveals since there are plots and counterplots galore.

And, that cliffhanger with SN finding the dead Grand Dowager Empress. Aside from the emotional shock of it, it now leaves the viewers with a number of issues to be followed up in the next episode:

1) It's clear that SN will be a suspect in the murder, but who is the actual murderer?

2) SN was counting on the backing of the Grand Dowager to help her against LH and YR, so now how will SN proceed in her revenge?

3) Who will be able to keep the Dowager Empress in any kind of check?

4) What happens to AR now that her protector the Grand Dowager is gone?

Well, you get the picture. Of the cast of characters, the one who had the strongest sense of duty and balance was the Grand Dowager Empress, so without her influence, what happens now? I assume that we will see the fall of the monarchy, and perhaps the empire will become a republic instead. If it doesn't fall, I would guess that Prince Yoon will end up becoming the new emperor somehow by the end of the drama.

3)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Ok  she atleast know it was him that switch the documents because of the scar on his hand .Thats a good start.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, nakatsubebe said:

Just saw an article, nationwide ratings per Nielsen Korea for episode 15 is 11%, episode 16 is 14% :star:

Yeap yeap...been waiting for the ratings :D (Nation Wide/Seoul)

2018-12-13 15 - 11.0 (8th) 12.4 (4th)
2018-12-13 16 - 14.0 (3rd) 15.4 (2nd)

Someone is going to show the world his V line :D ???

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

5 hours ago, guinearoyal said:

Since she has now met Ninja Uncle, I wonder when Sunny is going to meet DS...or if they meet at all. cause there might come a time when she will have to go into hiding. Maybe at the end after she and WS have gotten rid of the monarchy, they will disappear together and live happily.

When she meets DS, she will then know the ties between WS and YR. Because she has that locket of his with his family picture, all four of them. I remember YR was in the picture.

I just started to watch with subs... I feel bad about the live recaps I shared because it really doesn't do the drama any justice at all... Just that short conversation between LH and Sunny in the hotel room contained so much. Whoaaaa.... When LH said no matter what an emperor did, he will be innocent, because he IS the emperor.... Then the camera showed the look of WS's face.

@stroppyse glad to see you here!! :)

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

@stroppyseThe description atleast mention she search for  true love during all of this

True, but she thought that what she and LH had was true love from thinking that she knew about him from when she was his fan apparently, and that was why she agreed to marry him. So now that the "true love" between them has been shown as lies, not sure that she's still in the mood to go looking for true love. I think she has to resolve her feelings of betrayal by LH before she'll be ready to cultivate romantic feelings. Again, that's just my opinion, and I may be trying to be realistic in my assessment of a fictional character's emotional state. :)

13 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

When she meets DS, she will then know the ties between WS and YR. Because she has that locket of his with his family picture, all four of them. I remember YR was in the picture.

Okay, ultimate happy ending scenario. The empire falls with LH and YR both in jail for their crimes. WS and SN realize that they love and trust each other after all, and have AR and DS live with them since neither WS nor SN are the types of people to abandon helpless youngsters.  Plus WS loves DS who loves and looks up to WS and SN will come to love him, too, and SN feels affection for AR who looks up to SN as well which is a good basis for them to come to love each other.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

How did she not recognize YR in person if she already saw that picture? And where on earth did she put the locket? Let's hope that YR doesn't get her hands on it.

• Like 6

[The Last Empress] Eps 15 & 16 spoilers, Jang Na Ra x Shin Sung Rok x Lee Elijah

empress15.png

Article: Naver 'The Last Empress' Shin Sung Rok to Jang Na Ra, "Lee Elijah is my woman" 

1. [+2377,-21]
Forget it if the Kakao Dog [t/n: Shin Sung Rok's lookalike] falls for Oh Ssu Ni in the future... Everyone should get lost and please let only Oh Ssu Ni be happy. If the two suddenly get together, I'll be annoyed. 

2. [+1123,-18]
Seriously. ㅋㅋㅋ This story is messed up every second, but I kept watching... ㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+471,-17]
Kakao Dog, get to your senses!! 

4. [+348,-14]
No... Scriptwriter, please do something about Ssu Ni!! She's so pitiful. 

5. [+223,-1]
When the Empress Dowager slapped her twice today, it was the most satisfying scene in today's episode. It's so good. 

6. [+195,-1]
If he suddenly falls for Jang Na Ra, it wouldn't make sense.. 

7. [+200,-9]
Jang Na Ra's acting is so good.. Really. This is a makjang, but I'm immersed in Jang Na Ra's emotions... 

Spoiler

lastep16.png

Article: Naver 'The Last Empress' Jang Na Ra discovers Park Won Suk who died... Shin Sung Rok witnesses that 

1. [+1287,-30]
Just wait. In the scriptwriter's previous drama, they did the makeup and everything but the grandmother is still alive. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ The grandmother will survive. Jang Na Ra's acting deserves a daesang. 

2. [+941,-28]
Sun Ok-ah, this is so fun. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+816,-24]
This is insane. This goes over genres, common sense and time. Time flies quickly too. 

4. [+331,-16]
Watching today's episode, I can see why the King falls for Ssu Ni now. Ssu Ni turns into a dark character and talks to him in an aggressive manner, this surprises the King. In the future, he might say something like, "You are the only woman who treats me that way, Oh Ssu Ni!" ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I think he will turn out this way. 

5. [+309,-11]
A Ri gave me goosebumps too. She smiled when she realizes that she's not an Aegaesshi. 

6. [+274,-9]
The Empress Dowager threw her ornamental hairpin like a dart skillfully at Min Yoo Ra, but she died after getting stabbed by it... The refreshing part in today's episode has to be the part where the Empress Dowager slaps Min Yoo Ra twice. That was great~

7. [+259,-4]
Choi Jin Hyuk's screen time... He's the male lead, why does he have so little screen time... 

8. [+242,-18]
I thought this drama won't stand a chance against Boyfriend.. Not at all~~ Instead, Boyfriend is getting pushed by this drama. The story is so exciting. 

cr

• Like 6
  • LOL 2