Network: SBS

Genre: Romance, Comedy

Episodes: 48

Runtime: Wed & Thu @ 22:00 KST

Airtime: November 21st, 2018 -

Written by: Kim Soon Ok

Directed by:  Chu Dong Min

Synopsis:

“Empress’s Dignity” is set in a hypothetical constitutional monarchy in 2018, and follows the story of a musical actress Min Yoo Ra who marries the emperor. She searches for true love and happiness as she fights her way through palace life, and gets entangled with the murder of the emperor’s grandmother, leading to the demise of the imperial family.

Cast:

Jang Na-Ra - Oh Ssu-Ni

fe87979f29ea55a5aeaa767357bf72ac.png

Choi Jin-Hyuk - Na Wang-Sik

a4e6671d9b2c6b8f32b4e8fa6682dbc9.png

Shin Sung-Rok - Lee Hyuk

2f12d269c6088a478143210520999bb4.png

Lee Elijah - Min Yoo-Ra

Kim Jung-Tae - Ma Pil-Joo

Kim Yun-Jee - Hyun-Joo

Lee Hee-Jin - Princess Sojin

DsbNsncWkAAqRgV.jpg:large

Source: Soompi

01.Soompi code of conduct SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2018] Empress Dignity, 황후의 품격 - Wed & Thu - Shin Sung Rok - Premiers in November
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am waiting for this drama. The melodrama combined with mystery, thriller genre  is up my alley and the cast is shaping quite nice.

I wish Shin Sung Rok will alternate his roles because it is starting to be cast in the same type of roles.The kdrama casting tends to offer the same kind of roles to actors/ actresses. He plays villian so often and it is very good at playing a bad guy but I start to know that he is the baddie in the drama when I saw his name in the cast. :lol: The kdrama casting tend to offer the same kind of roles to actors/ actresses. 

But I will enjoy Shin Sung Rok for sure. He plays the charismatic emperor who is loved by his people but he is, in reality, “decayed with corruption.”  Shin Eun Kyung had an offer to play his mother in the drama and I hope she accepts. From the Google translate I get that Shin Eun-kyung`s character is a loving mother for her son in the play, but Mama Kang is a contrasting mother-in-law for her daughter-in-law. As a queen bee who is not afraid enough to be called a 'sister', she is in the middle of holding a royal power, but she is a natural enemy to the king. The affection for the son is beyond the morbid level. WOW! Cinderella Empress (Jang Nara) will have a hard time being the daughter in law. 

What confuses me, is who will be murdered in the drama? Shin Eun Kyung`s character or the first wife of the emperor Lee Hyuk (Shin Sung Rok)?  The Dramabeans article said that he’s unable to forget the dead empress and misses her. I thought that he had another wife in the past but with the news about his mother, I wonder if she is not the one who will be dead. We`ll see.

Another character that instrigues me is the female second lead, the imperial family’s spokeswoman Min Yu Ra. She is very competent at her job and I guess that she knows very well how is the real nature of the emperor but still supports the monarchy. After Sung Yuri rejected the offer, I am curious who will get the role. It is a promising role and I hope the writer will develope it well enough. On paper, she could be a good suspect in the murder case.

I like the leads too. I am glad that Jang Nara was chosen to play the musical actress turned emperess. The Prince charming will be Choi Jin Hyuk. We won`t have just a mystery drama, let see how their romance will develop. I expect a happy ending too.

http://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB11685757

Jang Nara up to play actress-turned-empress in An Empress’s Dignity

by javabeans

empressdignity_3.jpg
Jang Nara, Shin Sung-rok, Choi Jin-hyuk

More casting news has been announced for SBS’s upcoming An Empress’s Dignity, which last month floated Sung Yuri as a possibility for one of the lead roles. Turns out Sung Yuri is out of the running for the project, but Jang Nara (Go Back Spouses) is now a contender for the leading role, although this isn’t a case where they were up for the same character.

An Empress’s Dignity is set in an alternate reality where South Korea is currently a constitutional monarchy. A bright and vivacious musical actress becomes an overnight Cinderella when she marries into the imperial family, and finds herself fighting against those in power in the palace. When the dowager empress is murdered, it sets off events that threaten the monarchy itself, and all the while, our heroine struggles to find true happiness and love.

Jang Nara is up to play the main character, the lively (and aptly named) musical actress Oh Sunny. She’d wanted to be a musical actress for the rest of her life, but never made it out of the nameless understudy stage, until one day she suddenly becomes the nation’s Cinderella. Sung Yuri had initially been offered the role of a legal representative to the monarchy, but she has since declined the project.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/08/jang-nara-up-to-play-actress-turned-empress-in-an-empresss-dignity/

I think they will confirm for this drama. :)

Actress Lee Elijah has been offered the role of  Min Yu Ra, the role of spokeswoman of the imperial court, who entered the palace through a huge competition with attractive appearance and ability.  She is considering the offer. It is the same role Sung Yu ri  has turned down.

image_readtop_2018_537838_15353524323437

http://star.mk.co.kr/v2/view.php?sc=40900002&cm=연예 종합&year=2018&no=537838&relatedcode=

I hope she will accept. It`s a good cast. I am looking forward to see her role in this drama.

It looks like the character of 'Min Yura' proposed by Elijah is known to be a villain character that can be called the trademark of Kim Sun-ok's work. source

@0ly40   Thank you for starting the thread.  :)

@0ly40  @larus
I guess it’s official now finally.   Wow the script reading is happening 9/6.   So CJH’s character isn’t going to be a white knight but an unruly imperial guard who spits out cuss words and swaggers around with his fists and kicks around his underlings.   Gosh he might not be the one to walk away with JNR in a happy sunset at the end. At least they let him have fancy wardrobes. :sweatingbullets:  

Jang Nam-ra, Shin Sung-rok, Choi Jin-hyuk,  Confirmed 'Empress's Dignity' "script Reading 9/6"

LODUWqD.jpg
The leads of the new SBS drama 'Empress' s Dignity' have been confirmed.

Jang Na-ra, Shin Sung-rok, Choi Jin-hyuk, Shin Eun-kyung will appear in the new SBS drama "Empress's Dignity" They will have their first script reading on 9/6 at the Tanhye Center in Gyeonggi-do.

Jang Na-ra is going to play a musical actress, Oh Sunny.  She has a lifelong dream to be on stage as a musical heroine and to live as is for the rest of her life, but in reality, she is a professional substitute actress whom directors want to avoid. One day after living as an unnamed musical actress,  she becomes the people’s Cinderella, an empress.

Shin Sung Rok plays the absolute power Lee Hyuk, who is the emperor of Empire of Korea.  Having a  remarkable talent in making money, he has revived more than 30 imperial enterprises and has amassed enormous wealth. He also knows how to control people.  He has a good-looking appearance and brilliant rhetoric.

Choi Jin-hyeok plays Na Wang Sig, 120kg, the imperial guard. He is a rascal who talks with cuss words and has a habit of ordering around his underlings.   No one can fight with him as he is a natural fighter who has a quick mobility though he’s big.

Shin Eun-kyung portrays Mama-empress Kang who is a loving mother for her son but for her daughter-in-law, she is a mighty mother-in-law.   She is a queen bee who is called ‘a sword woman’ because she has no fears and holds a royal power but she is a natural enemy to Grandma-empress. The affection for the son is beyond the morbid level.

‘Empress’s Dignity’ is a story about a young and beautiful musical actress who suddenly becomes Cinderella one day by marrying the emperor,  and fights against the absolute power of the palace,  and, after Grandma-empress’s murder, breaks down the imperial court  and finds true love and happiness.  

Kim Soon-ok (‘Temptation of Wife’  ‘Jang Bo-ri is Here!’  ‘My Daughter, Geum Sa-wol’  ‘Band of Sisters’)
writes the script and Joo Dong Min PD (‘Return’) directs it.  It will be broadcast in coming November.

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002825645

29 minutes ago, booha said:

Gosh he might not be the one to walk away with JNR in a happy sunset at the end. At least they let him have fancy wardrobes.

He might not be a white knight prince but he is the hero. That`s for sure. If Lee Hyuk (Shin Sung Rok) and Yu Ra (Lee Elijah) are the villains, the heroine has to have an ally. In this story, Cinderella might renounce at her prince emperror and go with her hot loyal guard. :D

Thanks for the translations.

@larus

Oh yes I forgot how good you are about kdramas.  Yes it’s an ally, a hero.  Yes when there is a power struggle and corruption, it’s the heroine (here, empress ) riding on with an unruly but gallant/hot hero will have to make things right.   hahaha  :sweat_smile:
You are right that CJH probably had decided about this drama before but he had to wait until he finished shooting of his upcoming drama(DJ which will premiere 9/5).  JNR and CJH are long time acquaintances.  Last project they worked together was FTLY where JNR plays a lovely girl and CJH, a sad heartbroken long-legged ajeossi (2nd lead). 

I7AEcAz.jpg

7 hours ago, booha said:

Last project they worked together was FTLY where JNR plays a lovely girl and CJH, a sad heartbroken long-legged ajeossi (2nd lead). 

I did not watch Fated to Love You (when they announce the remake I watched the original drama from Taiwan and I did not have the need to watch again the same drama) but I read about it. 

This time it won`t be an unrequated love of second lead. :D In the pictures posted above, they are so cute. She is so petite and he is tall. It will be interesting seing them in a different genre. Their romance will be subtle because she is from royal family and a married woman but we`ll root for them.

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Seems like it’s set in an alternate Korea.  So something similar to The King 2 Hearts ? 

Yes. From what I know, in The King 2 Hearts the story was placed in a fictional present day where South Korea governed under a constitutional monarchy. In drama Empress Dignity is the same set up. There will be power struggle at the palace, a crime to solve as well, and a romance.

Yes, this time there is a higher chance (I say 95% chance) that Choi Jin Hyuk`s character will get the girl. :)

3 hours ago, triplem said:

Omg!!! Will CJH finally get jang Nara?!!!! 

I’m here to check in 

@booha what a treat for us ! Two dramas in a row after a “Long”  hiatus. 

@larus Seems like it’s set in an alternate Korea.  So something similar to The King 2 Hearts ? 

This was exactly my reaction:lol:. I didn't even know CJH was up for this drama. Last I heard Jang Nara confirmed...so I was kind of ...a little bit interested. Not into Palace politics. coz they are usually boring sageuks. But modern fictional palace drama with CJH and JNR....now I have to check it out...they were cute in FTLY.

And by the way CJH's character can still be considered a white knight ...just with a tarnished armor...since he's a palace guard and all....must be head of security or something.

I’m excited about this upcoming drama, I loved Jang Na-Ra in Go Back Couple where she moved me to tears with her acting, so I’m curious about her next drama. I hope her character won’t be a total Mary Sue, I’m kinda allergic to word “Cinderella” when it comes to k-dramas.

So if I get it right, JN will marry SSR but her main love interest is CJH? If that’s the case, I’m a little disappointed because I was looking forward to see SSR playing a swoony male lead for once. I know he has a perfect face for playing villains but he’s getting typecast lately.

13 hours ago, aisling said:

I’m a little disappointed because I was looking forward to see SSR playing a swoony male lead for once. I know he has a perfect face for playing villains but he’s getting typecast lately.

Mee too. Shin Sung Rok plays the bad guy very good but it becomes a typecast when the first thing that comes through my mind is that he is a bad guy in the drama.

In this drama will be a crime? He did it. :lol: I am kidding but it is not improbable. He is first on my suspect list.

I want to think any serious actor/actress wants to play a serious/ interesting/challenging character.  I think there is difference playing a villain and just a second lead.   In some dramas the role of a villain is as important as OTP so it is casted as a lead too.   I have a feeling a writer puts as much effort or sometimes more into a villain character because a good villain can bring up such dynamic and tension on the drama.  Also if one is good at the role, one can demand more fee.  And there is a prize of getting respect from viewers/peers/media. 

On 9/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, triplem said:

Omg!!! Will CJH finally get jang Nara?!!!! 

I’m here to check in 

@booha what a treat for us ! Two dramas in a row after a “Long”  hiatus. 

@larus Seems like it’s set in an alternate Korea.  So something similar to The King 2 Hearts ? 

Hello sorry for the late response   Amazing isn’t it!!  After long mia  and  now there are 2 dramas back to back.   Huuey how can it be possible   haha( happy laugh)  Okay hopefully I can keep up with the pace :sweatingbullets:

The English title, as seen in the sample script, is "The Last Empress".

Production company is SM Life Design (same production company behind writer KSO's last project, "Band of Sisters", which also aired on the same network.)

I read before that the script reading was supposed to take place 9/6. Well it looks like it happened but there hasn’t been an official announcement.  Could it be that because CJH was still shooting his other drama(devilish joy).  Though it is supposed to be a preproduced drama  they were either reshooting or adding something. 

PS I don’t know what char he is going to play. He answered that everybody(meaning CJH was there too) attended the script reading:)

On 9/8/2018 at 7:52 PM, booha said:

In some dramas the role of a villain is as important as OTP so it is casted as a lead too.   I have a feeling a writer puts as much effort or sometimes more into a villain character because a good villain can bring up such dynamic and tension on the drama. 

Usually I enjoy the villians more than the good guys (hero and heroine) but all depends on the writing. If the writer is good, he/ she can create meaningful characters (heroes and antagonists).

In this drama, the villians have potential so let`s see how it is going to be.

@larus

So Shin Sung-Rok is also appearing in SBS Vagabond (broadcast 2019 & pre-production).  I read Vaga had a script reading 9/2?   But isn’t E’sD supposed to have a script reading 9/6.  Will SSR film for both dramas at the same time?  Wow it’s very confusing because it seems CJH is still filming DJ too.    
Oh you are right  I realize the writer isn’t specialized in a sort of a crime/detective story. I read she is masterfully artful in a makjang story line ( meant to be compliment, I guess)  So it means the villain here isn’t like Voice’s villain about which I read many good reviews.  He is more like in ‘hero & antagonist.’   Yes a story like this it will be more enjoyable if there is good dynamic among the leads( here, 4).

9 minutes ago, booha said:

So Shin Sung-Rok is also appearing in SBS Vagabond (broadcast 2019 & pre-production).  I read Vaga had a script reading 9/2?   But isn’t E’sD supposed to have a script reading 9/6.  Will SSR film for both dramas at the same time? 

Yes, Shin Sung Rok will appear in drama Vagabond too. I don`t know how the filming schredules are right not for both dramas but I am sure they arranged everything for Shin Sung Rok to film for both  dramas. The last news was that Vagabond had a script reading on June 2 and start filming the same month but It is possible to have the second script reading.

I think both Shin Sung Rok and Choi Jin-Hyuk will have a free schredule for filming The Last Empress.

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2018] Empress Dignity, 황후의 품격 - Wed & Thu - Jang Na Ra, Choi Jin Hyuk, Shin Sung Rok - Premieres in December

Finally CJH finished filming for Devilish Joy last week.   Today I found this IG.   A comment  mentioned about CJH's changed look for E’s D (can't tell which one is CJH)   

I checked out drama IG site and found several pictures.  The filming has started 9/17.

(dated 9/10)  Jang Na Ra schedule

"【Transl/번역/翻訳:】
【Eng】
Sept. 6th Table Read ((script reading))
Sept. 17th The first filming for An Empress's Dignity, as Oh Sunny
Presscon date to be announced later "

Spoiler

Spoiler

A child actor playing Shin Sung Rok’s part ((greeting for  the Chuseok holiday))

Lee Elijah To Play Villain In New SBS Thriller

by E. Cha

0000190474064787bd44df975b93dea9.jpeg?s=

Lee Elijah will be starring in the upcoming SBS drama “Empress’s Dignity” (working title)!

On October 1, King Kong by Starship Entertainment announced, “Actress Lee Elijah will be appearing in SBS’s new Wednesday-Thursday drama ‘Empress’s Dignity’ in the role of Min Yu Ra. She will be greeting viewers as a villain, in an acting role completely different from the characters she’s played up until now, so please show her a lot of interest and support.”

“Empress’s Dignity” is a thriller set in an alternate universe, in which a constitutional monarchy exists in 2018. The drama will tell the story of a musical actress who finds herself living out a modern-day Cinderella story and marrying the emperor. While searching for true love and happiness, she ends up fighting her way through palace life and eventually bringing down the imperial family.

Lee Elijah’s character Min Yu Ra is a trusted confidante of the emperor Lee Hyuk (to be played by Shin Sung Rok) and a high-ranking palace official. Both a skilled worker and a highly perceptive observer, she is one of the key players in the palace’s inner politics.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1238725wpp/lee-elijah-play-villain-new-sbs-thriller

Archived