[Drama 2018] Thirty But Seventeen, 서른이지만열일곱입니다

meechuttso

Hi everyone. i’m not used to commenting and usually keep quiet but i thought it’ll be great to change that habit and have a diverse open conversation with everyone ^_^ 

I started this drama for SHS, i loved her in five children and she was pretty and was very happy for her when i saw she was offered a lead role in a mini series. this is my first time seeing YSJ OR AHS and i already love them both.

The show’s pace is going a little slow and it’s not perfect but since i love the overall message of the show and adore the characters, i still have high hopes that the show will pick up its pace and things start coming together. 

ive seen mixed opinions about the chemistry between the two leads. i love both shs and YSJ but i think for now i need some time to warm up to them. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lids said:

p.s: You can ignore a user and not see their posts. I've had to utilize this feature a couple of times in different drama threads. So please utilize it if you feel like you need it.

Something new to me :ph34r: including the used of "rosin" in this scene.  It made me wanted to find out what it is and how it is used with the bowed string instrument.

Credit to the owner.

Adding in the official MV:

Credit to the owner

Suddenly I thought of the lady in yellow.:P. On both separate occasions she was decked in all yellow. So must wear yellow to go that house to stare ?hahaha... Kdrama troupes again! Either that, her wardrobe must be like Jennifer :lol:

I'm startingto think too that Jennifer mighthave something to do with Seori's aunt and uncle..

6 hours ago, Lids said:

Come out of hiding everyone. One of the joys of drama watching is the discussions and different opinions.

Yeah well said! Totally agree!

Oh yes I can't wait for Kim doctor to reunite with Seori soon and waiting to see what sparks will bring them and WJ. It's episode 6 already, time for you to come out Dr! 

Edit:

@Dramanoona To be frank i watched but didnt realise she was in Oh My Ghostess too! It was only after watching Five Enough that I went to search her past dramas and found out that she was actually in Oh My Ghostess! And to think I remembered that sister in wheelchair! Haha!

By the way those who have not seen SHS dramas before can try watching Five Children. She was so good in that and I became a fan after watching that. 

Here!

SHS and YSJ are new for me (*runs and hides)

I haven't watched any of YSJ's prior projects and for SHS, I didn't notice she was in Oh My Ghostess, High School King and She was Pretty (*don't hit me!*)

Why did I choose this drama - the story was intriguing and it had to pass my 4 episodes test (which it did!)

I am trying to wipe Yoon Shi Yoon's face off my mind when I watch Yang Se Jong - and it's taking me a while. Sometimes I glimpse Jung Il Woo in him as well (HELP!)

I will try to participate more in discussions with everyone !

EDIT: I do hope WJ realises his feelings for SR before he finds out her real identity - never good to be hung up too obsessively over a past love, you can't see the one in front of you.

the ending scene was so beautiful  my heart skipped a beat and all i wanted to say is kiss kiss panda-emoticon-27.gifbut  i know that is not going to happen soon 
076e8d05eacad850372d7d715e784873071bed5c2de001ff0922bc98dc56bd7b2c2b07f8cd8780e5

i cried with her along with her dreamcrying1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928624i wish WJ to recognize her soon but not so soon well it wont be that soon

Spoiler

06bfc33a60ec814d3049365b839f6131b2dd507d

e5d8ce07508e5c758d059f3ee0834325a6a1b1db

Glad to see so many lurkers, delurking and participating in the thread. :D

I've been wondering about TR's flash of insecurity about SR. Like someone said, she should not be bothered by someone who has not played for 13 years. But unlike Ballet, Violin is not age restricted, I hope and even if it is, I am sure the show will ignore that fact and still have SR become a better, more talented Violinist than TR. I think this is what TR is afraid of and why she may turn into a vamp.

15 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Whaaa - what a scary thought... No - that can´t happen - no no no...

Hazel is not the youngest too - and she is Mother of a bunch of little Doggis. So she is kinda more cool now. But my friend has a lot of these dogs. She even took some in care when help was needed.. My fav looks a bit like Fang  - but is so super cute and blind - but such a nice character. I normally like the big dogs more - but after meeting them - i lost my heart. I was so sad that we are not allow to have a dog in the flat - otherwise the blind one Elvis would live with us now. And I was so happy to see Fang in the Drama. :wub:

Really - just thinking about it - oh gosh - yes from one point that could bring the OTP closer together but I don´t need that... Care for the Dog and the Chick - wha you gave me a thrill. :blink:

Your friend sounds like an amazing person. :D Hazel's a mom? No wonder she is so cool and patient. Motherhood tends to do that to almost every human and animal.

Sadly, the show has stressed on the dogs age quite a bit so I am bracing myself for some tragedy, although, I hope that does not happen.

this is so cute when SR thinks it a dream and tries to snap him

1b61d796b732bf28bf58433e02b1c9c7acc2c95e

can we have  a scene  KHT meeting S am sure he will recognize her right away  want scene of KHT and SR as most  of you have said the story  the writer is dragging the story and i dont know when will this happendepressed1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928

1.when will WJ realize it was SR all along and not Sumi

2.when will they have their first kiss

desperate1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928

8 hours ago, 1ouise said:

The main problem with this drama is the dragginess in resolving the central issues.  They haven't been giving us a satisfyingly steady and building stream of clues and revelations.  For example: We've seen the back of the woman in yellow enough.  Now give us something more.  (Maybe they thought: first the shoes, then the dress, then the hair!  :lol:)

Yes @ this. I’m already done with her back, now give us the face or some more info. But imagine if they end up showing us her face for like 2 seconds and her identity still remains undisclosed or *le gasp* leave it at a cliffhanger and we gotta wait for another week. 

BwOfuiWIcAA0q2t.png

I did like this weeks episodes but I want them to move this mystery forward

47 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

And for the OTP, I really love the blanket morning wake up scene. I love how SR firstly opens her eyes and thought it's her dream. Lol. That's pretty sweet. There's such an electrifying chemistry sparks between them. And oh gosh.. YSJ is so pretty handsome. *hearteyes*

@Yongzura @aisling hello fellas!! So good to see you here. 

@stargazer187 Welcome to the club!  Happy to see you here. 

Credit to the owner.

42 minutes ago, tianaa said:

1.when will WJ realize it was SR all along and not Sumi

2.when will they have their first kiss

I think their first kiss will happen before he learns the truth - this is the usual chronology of k-dramas. “I didn’t know you were my childhood/teenage crush, but I still fell in love with you again anyway” trope sealed with a kiss.

Or maybe not. If I remember correctly, in She Was Pretty they had their first kiss after he learned the truth. Anyway, I loved how he tenderly cupped her face in the last scene. After his inner struggles he must’ve felt relieved to finally be able to act on his feelings.

@stargazer187 Good to see you again, chingu! Let’s hope this show will captivate our hearts again.

1 hour ago, YourHighness . said:

Glad to see so many lurkers, delurking and participating in the thread. :D

Yes indeed! Thanks everyone, especially @Ni Wen my chingoo for speaking softly but firmly and encouraging everyone to share more.

15 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

My favorite Korean actress is cast as the Aunt in this drama and we have seen maybe 30 seconds of her so far. Still I am enjoying the show and not worrying about Shim Yi Young's lack of screen time or complaining about it. Of course there is a good reason for her absence so far. She had just wrapped up taping her daily drama 4 days before the first script reading of this one. Therefore, her character will probably emerge later

@rolisrntex I saw her (SYY) on 'Your House Helper' and thought of you. I am sure you know she's in that already but wanted to give a shout out. Then I also noticed @stuartjmz your post there, too, and I was happy to see you found that wonderful drama.

Spoiler

That is a far better balanced and such a well told story in every way, and every member of the cast really given so much better material to work with - I am happy to see you could contribute more positively there and look forward to reading more of your happy thoughts there, Stu.

2 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

Here!

SHS and YSJ are new for me (*runs and hides) 

I haven't watched any of YSJ's prior projects and for SHS, I didn't notice she was in Oh My Ghostess, High School King and She was Pretty (*don't hit me!*)

:lol:You're so funny, @Dramanoona Glad you spoke up! This should be a happy and safe place where we never have to fear sharing our honest thoughts respectfully. :phew:

@YourHighness . @Amy Nguyen and so many other new delurkers, thanks for sharing!

@Amy Nguyen I don't know if you know one of Shin Hye-Sun's earliest works was done in Vietnam.

Spoiler

tumblr_ozlbvg6CVq1valxs7o4_r1_500.gif Forgive me if I assume incorrectly you're Vietnamese, but the drama was 'Forever Young' - because all the Korean speaking actors' voices are dubbed, it wasn't as popular among SK audiences, but maybe you will enjoy it? She is billed with her name spelled : Shin Hae-Sun so it's also not well known for that reason.

5 hours ago, Yongzura said:

Something new to me :ph34r: including the used of "rosin" in this scene.  It made me wanted to find out what it is and how it is used with the bowed string instrument. 

The bow has horse hair on violins, violas and cellos. The hair is slippery and don't make any sound when rubbed against the strings. Rosin is just the sticky stuff from pine trees, and that makes the bow hair stick nicely together as one unit to give friction to the strings, and sound. Every violin case has a little compartment to keep some rosin and other accessories necessary for the instrumentalist - with all those little rosin balls donated to Seo-Ri for the floor, the orchestra members probably had to share a few that were left during the concert, haha. :w00t:

EDIT:

@tianaa thanks for those beautiful gifs again! Keep them coming!! :wub:

Maybe I don´t have trouble with the pace so much because I watched C Drama latley - and those are really slow sometimes. ;)

They wanted to make us curious - so work done - give us more information now. I agree - but I still just love to see them fall for each other - in Chans case - adorable but my poor heart...

I wonder if Jessica is hiding herself somehow ... she was so careful about people following her - and she is not telling her real name. I still wonder if the lady in yellow is there because of her...

I agree with... who was it.... @Dramanoona I want him to fall for SR before he find out who she is. In fact he never really knew much about the young SR. But I want him to lover her now for who she really is!

SR in fact is such a tough teenager. Trying to go forward so hard to find her own place in life again. Living Day by Day just focused on how to get the violine back. (and found her family). How hard must it be - for her it was just days ago she had a happy life and could play the insrument so well. She is born with true talent and she got the love for the music and the violine from her mother. I loved mum telling her daughter to play how her heart is telling her to play and not how the notes are. Not focused on winning all the prices but focused on enjoying the music and loving what she did. Thats why she was so wonderful.

My heart hurts when he did not wanted to shake hands - because the hand of a musician cant get dirty or hurted ... but her own where - and she is a musician too - and I loved Chan for seeing that at once. I know WJ saw it too but again he tried hard to not pay attention. For the sake of the others - he will not let them in his life. 

Guess i have a first and second lead syndrome already... sob- Yes @stargazer187 Chan needs to find his happiness too... but really that girl who follows him... I don´t like her very much until now.

2 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Sadly, the show has stressed on the dogs age quite a bit so I am bracing myself for some tragedy, although, I hope that does not happen.

Last but not least - NOOOOOO - Fang must be healthy and cute until the end! Hmpf...

Dramabeans recap is out!

30 but 17 episode 9-10 recap

Oh, this part brought tears into my eyes because this is exactly how I felt about that scene. 

Up until this point, I’ve appreciated Yang Se-jong in this drama solely for his scenes with Ahn Hyo-seop because they have such good comedic chemistry, but this hour changed all of that. I know that Yang Se-jong is capable of so much more but he’s had to deliver a subdued performance to convince us of Woo-jin’s repression, an after effect of the accident. His emotional distance disappeared when he sought out his former doctor for help and confessed his deepest fear. Woo-jin was enveloped by his anguish and Yang Se-jong brought such depth to his character’s suffering and terror that it brought tears to my eyes.”

Hi to those watching and posting, lurking, delurking, those addicted, those who watched but are left wanting, those who are interested and have yet to watch

Spoiler

This looks like my first post on this account cz i couldnt find my password to my old account. I have been away from soompi forums about 5-6 months. My come back drama was Come and hug me.

But the drama that made me wanted to sigin and write a little (or not so little) was 30 but 17.

Based on episodes 1 to 3 (60mins version)

Background & Plot

Episode 1 quickly establish the start of it. Skipping from male lead back to when he was 17. Up to the accident. 

The plot exercises some old drama tropes - leads who met in their younger selves, first love, traumatic/tragic past, coma, mistaken identity.

Whilst this isnt a melodrama, the tragic angle does make it a good sob story- theres all the machinations to feel sad and pity for Seo Ri.

Character

Woo Se Ri

CH34904780_w666_h968.jpg

I really like her cheery personality despite all the tragedy attached to her. She's one who has a jump in her steps, who dont follow the score sheets to play beautiful music. The 30 yr old Se Ri having to age overnight from 17 to 30 still has the courteousness, the thankfulness, the zest for life,  the telling as it is and even the episode of temper and blame. Shes like that warm neighbourhood girl you wish to get to know or be acquainted to.

Mr Gong

CH72929325_w666_h968.jpg

The man with alot of quirks and self-imposed exile from getting involved with peeps and their affairs. The 17 yr old him stalls the bus driver to let an old woman catch up to the bus. The 30yr old him would share his bottled water with a random wilting plant in the streets. He also has an awesome job imo. 

Acting

SHS

Seals the deal in her scene when she saw her mirror image. Raspiness of her voice, her delivery, her forlorn cries. It touched me deeply than any wailing. Shes really nailing the emotional scenes.

Spoiler

I have enjoyed her in all her previous drama. even as 2nd leads. With all her solid performance before i was never worried with her casting. I'm really glad she has become more and more prominent.

SHS amplifies the sweetness and youthfulness of a 17yr old in 30yr old body. She makes the silliness and antics comedically ok, without being hard-to-swallow. 

YSJ

Does exude the cold look when he doesnt smile and turn into a puppy when he does. I felt YSH connected well with his character. He took some time warming up to but he won me over the scene where he plead Se ri to dont go/stay (when she was running to catch up with her missing uncle)

Spoiler

I've only previously watched a lil of his other dramas. Watched RTK in bits and pieces and i tried episode 1 of TOL but dropped it. So i went in not knowing what to expect from him.

Sweet spots

I love the theme of this seventeen year old self. Seeing both Se Ri and Woo Jin both stuck emotionally in their 17year old self. The first one who upon waking up- technically her emotional self is 17+1 day old. While the other whose emotional state was traumatised to have stunted his capability to (want to be) close or emotionally involve with other people (with the execption of family).

I tuned in to watch how Se Ri grapples with it. I cant imagine never living my 20s while there's Seri imagining the 20s that she could have lived but instead spent lying on a bed for 13years. The scene of noticing the changes of what one decade brings to surrounding and culture - the scene of everyone glued to their phones, of her memories of older buildings and changes in street naming.

I thk of the otps meeting again and ending up being in the same house through this fate thing as a chance to let them face the issues (and of course eventually uncovering the truth) while also being each other's motivator to grow emotionally.

Things to turn a blind eye

There are some holes- that you can see the writer push a storyline but not setting it up properly which is weird given that she has ample time to develop them since we have 20episodes. 

I almost wish they wrote it as 30 but 18. That way Se Ri would have her ID and driving license and would make sense to be able to apply for jobs.

If you wan to nitpick, some may not enjoy the pace or the prolonged- finding out her identity, her moon-bunny, her aunt and uncle. Lil bits of crumbs have been given. Obviously not a thirst-quencher. Personally since i've watched till ep3 only i dont mind watching as it is. Good things come to those who waits ;) and i do enjoy watching Se Ri gets under Woo Jin' s skin. And him to be entangled and come to care about another human being (without any attachment to the 17yr old her which he liked n had a crush on). 

Other musings

I find the character Jennifer interesting. Not just of her capability as a housekeeper but one who has empathy and do nice things for others not for her own gain. She's shrouded with mystery. She was the one who let Se Ri enter the household through an honest mistake and i do wonder if towards the end would her character also holds the key to reunite the otps? far-fetch i know. I love the actress by the way. I hope she gets better and meatier roles. So far i see her character here as a plus.

Meanwhile my feelings for Chan is a mixed bag. I thk he's sort of endearing. His love and closeness with his uncle is nice, his puppy love for Se Ri is understandable. But so far hes one i just watched when appear on screen and havent really form an attachment to him yet.

Spoiler

I'll lose some more zzzs tonight to catch a few more episodes. Im glad to have started this drama since the last K drama was a bit heavy. Am juggling this with Heavy Sweetness Ash like frost. It's gonna be bad when i caught up. Cause waiting sucks. I tend to marathon dramas that are nearly done airing. Watching currently airing ones are tough, hats off to all of you are so patient with the 2eps a week process. Happy watching xoxo :heart:

49 minutes ago, meechuttso said:

@Amy Nguyen I don't know if you know one of Shin Hye-Sun's earliest works was done in Vietnam.

Hi meechuttso :) yes, i’ve known that shs has worked on a project done in Vietnam. I searched it up once and it seems really popular ( high ratings??) but since Vietnamese isn’t my preferred language i haven’t thought about watching it yet 

41 minutes ago, sleeplater said:

But the drama that made me wanted to sigin and write a little (or not so little) was 30 but 17.

Based on episodes 1 to 3 (60mins version)

@sleeplater and even later now, right? And wow, what a post!

Funny you had to re-register just to get stuff off your chest after just 3-eps instead of taking that time to catch up with eps 4-6! Funny how this place makes you want to scream at times and it's important to feel like we have like-minded comrades in our addictions, no? One advantage of watching and waiting first runs (instead of binging at the end) is that you do have the junkie needle exchange program, urm, support network, right here for each of the other 5 nights a week when we are having our withdrawals (with apologies for the drug metaphor to anyone actually having had this challenge in real life). :sweatingbullets:

Welcome one and all. Let's Do this. :scream:

Archived