[Drama 2017] Mad Dog 매드독

Go Seung Ji

The second episode was plain plain tragic and gave us such an insight into the life of Kang Woo before the tragic event and how all the team players gathered to form Mad Dog we see now in the present,even without knowing indeed the full backstories of our members yet only knowing that at some point in their lives were helped by Kang Woo and in return wanted togive back that favor and that he bacame a friend to them....Aside from the more likely fraud behind that plane crash till we see the whole picture the fact still is that Kim Min Joon's brother(if they don't twist it and say he isin't) did kill all this people and did sign for whatever reason an insurance to give his brother money,that if it wasn't made up....I might say it takes longer than anticipated to warm up to Min Joon and maybe because he comes off too arogant especially in the way he treats Kang Woo even more attacking him with such a sensitive and painful topic,his lost family...He lost a brother as well and he should very well know that this things can't be touched upon...At the time he was a victim as well but my heart really went to all those people and Kang Woo who lost his family in matter of minutes just like that and the pain took over all the other stuff,even more when he heard the Pilot made insurance and included all things even death etc for his brother...My point is, i can't take his arrogant way of entering the team and thinking that he did something great and that Kang Woo is a evil one when the fact still is his brother killed all those people,what happend behind the scene after is on second plan,he killed them...He should be more humble approching that topic...If i was in Kang Woo's shoes i would seriously punch him right there seeing his attitude mentioning one's family...

• Like 5

@triplem Thanks for correcting me. I meant Park Moon Shin... he must know something. 

Insurance companies can struggle financially and they have their own insurance companies to cover up in case of a disaster hence I believe that CEO Cha is part of the scam. That's why I mention "reinsurance". @Miky88 About the assistant pilot: I find it weird that he was sitting in the pilot seat. Then I don't know the full story that's why I am not condemning him yet. Moreover, I noticed that before the crash, you could see that someone was trying to correct the direction of the plane because it went up again. 

• Like 2

@bebebisous33 @triplem Character description -------

Choi Kangwoo (cast. Yoo Ji Tae)

He was a police officer and later leader of an insurance investigation team at an insurance company. He has sharp eyes and good intuition, and he never lets go once he takes a bite. Even though insurance investigators don't have investigative authority, he boasted fraud detection rate of 99 percent while staying perfectly within the legal boundaries. But one day, he realizes that it is impossible to catch the most vicious insurance crooks while acting within the law, so he creates his own team, 'Mad Dog,' to investigate without holding back in using extralegal means. He no longer has any faith to keep.

Kim Minjun (cast. Woo Do Hwan)

No one would believe the fact that he used to be a runaway teen and a con man from his gracious looks and hearty laugh. He is as clever as a fox. He can make any face he wants and become anyone he wants, and nobody knows his real face. When he was seven years old, he was adopted by a German couple after he lost his parents in a car accident. When his adoptive parents gave birth to a son by artificial insemination, he became a child that no one desires. He was abandoned at the age of 17.

Jang Hari (Cast. Ryu Hwayoung)

She is a sexy, voluptuous and smart insurance investigator who was formerly a gymnast. She also used to work for Kangwoo in the insurance company and joined his team 'Mad Dog.' Her primary task is infiltrating in disguise, taking advantage of her gymnastic skills. In order to catch the bad guys, she transforms into any character, from an innocent university student to a bar girl in a skimpy dress.

Park Soonjung (cast. Jo Jae Yun)

He is an ex-thug with striking criminal records, and now he is an insurance investigator with a nursing license. He dreams of becoming a pediatric nurse for his love of children. Sadly, it will be hard for children to like this muscular, tough-looking man holding a syringe in his hand. He is in charge of various tasks related to medical records and field investigation in 'Mad Dog.'

On Nuri (Cast. Kim Hye Sung)

He quit high school and worked as an electronics vendor before joining 'Mad Dog.' He is a loner. Well, Steve Jobs is his one and only friend, only in his dreams. He is as pale as a ghost since he refuses to go outside unless he is covered in long sleeves and long trousers with his hat pulled down. He hates human. He likes machines because machines operate with no intentions unlike humans. With an incredibly high IQ, he is in charge of all the IT and machinery tasks in the team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Apa khabar kawan?:D @triplem

I'm from M'sia too! So nice to be able to meet a fellow countryman. It is sad that there's no clue to whereabouts of MH 370 - sorry f OT. I get anxious at turbulence as well but I don't have the luxury of traveling often so lucky you I guess LoL? 

The newbie's name is Jaesoo, I think heh. Yea he's still foolish I mean now his poor wife is a single mom/widow... Even when Kangwoo was beating the crap out of Jinchul the bastard has no clue why tsk-_- I'm amazed people like him have long lives, life sucks. 

As to why/how a pilot suffering from mental health issues get overlooked is much easier said than done. Humans are complex beings therefore it's hard to foresee tragedy from happening. Sadly action is taken only after many lives are dead. I think it's mandatory now that pilots go through strict health checks annually in light of so many crashes. However there's no guarantee as death is inevitable. 

Poor Juwon, Kangwoo's son was just soo young... 

Hwayoung (too bad many blame her f T-ara's downfall)  who plays Hari seem to be typecast into these femme fatale roles. She's got a great body I'd give her that. She also look a lot like Park Shinhye. But there ' s where the similarities end. Shinhye would never play such daring roles playing mostly safe/boring roles of damsels in distress. 

• Like 1

@bebebisous33Thank you. :D 

I'm actually on your page aswell, I'm hoping more for a bromance than an actual love story. I always feel like love stories are unnecessary in these kind of dramas. They just take away prescious time and the drama never has an actual chance to develop it properly. And if they do it properly, other parts of the drama suffer from it.

A bromance adds a little fun and lighter moments to the drama. Tunnel is a perfect example.

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching??

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

girlfriday

• Mad Dog: Yoo Ji-tae’s tragic backstory was so engrossing that I wondered why the show didn’t open on it, but in hindsight I get the appeal of opening on slick, capery hijinks instead, even though it then takes two full hours to get a complete picture of the story. When the team is on a mission, the show feels very much like Lookout or Police Unit 38 with the added advantage of Yoo Ji-tae’s gravitas, and I’m eager to see how Woo Do-hwan’s presence will affect the tight-knit team.

odilettante

• Mad Dog: I would watch Yoo Ji-tae be tall’n’sexy no matter what, but I enjoy it even more when he gets to be a vigilante bringer of insurance justice in a black leather jacket. The plot so far seems fairly predictable and similar to other dramas that have gone before, but it’s still an enjoyable romp with a great cast. A drama that doesn’t require anything from me but to go along for the ride is sometimes just what I need.

cr

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in total shock. Today I've watched episode 2 and I can't believe they used the plane crash of Germanwings Flight 9525. There were 150 deaths, including two of my best friends. I think it's a total lack of sensibility, it's been only two years, only!!! and it's very clear they use this case, because the pilot is German, it has mental problems and it's a suicide. I don't think they would ever use the Sewol Ferry as inspiration for any drama episode, because is their own tragedy, so I think they should show some respect to other countries too, knowing their dramas are watched internationally. I'm sorry for the rant, but it has been like living another time the loss of my friends. It sickens me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I'm later than many here, just finished watching the first 2 episodes.  I get the praise for the balanced writing of human drama, procedural investigative stuffs, adding humor and cast chemistry... it is off to a good start.  I didn't expect to like it right away. :D

This is the third drama of Jo Jae Yun that I have watched, Liar Game/Save Me are the others.  Either he's very blessed or talented to be involved in fun/good projects cuz he has always brought his characters to memorable level for me.  He inhibits his character well yet can break into another (new) role without having me typecast his performances.  Props to him.  I enjoyed his sarcastic dry humor here in MD.  His side quips about workers taking turn spitting into the "charismatic" architecture coffee has me chuckled out loud.  I also spotted Choi Won Young as the CEO board member (what is his title exactly I forgot), he can do funny and scumbag well too, tho I don't know exactly what his relationship is to Chairman Cha and his daughter Hong Joo (sibblings?) I'm also curious to find out more about KW's wife relationship with Hong Joo, as they could all be friends at some points in the past.  

Regarding the pilot, it's a little far-stretched that he popped the tranquilizer right in the cockpit.  Not sure of SK, in US, that would be a violation and cause for termination.  No drug zone period by any professional on the job, let alone pilots who are tested regularly for drugs.  An antidepressant or tranquilizer has to be taken chronically for it to cause the effect so it would have shown up in drug tests for the pilot.  Unless the drug was just shown to indicate his state of mind, how nervous he was before carrying out the suicide.

@stroppyse I think that you maybe right, MJ must have seen the CEO's reactions or heard something mentioned when everyone emptied out of the room.  Could have been the reason why he targeted the insurance company and in the process, linked KW to be its employee.  In either case, it seems like this is an intricate two year plan by MJ, the kind that has diagrams all over the board in his bedroom (ala Lookout).  If his endgame is to clear up his brother's name, he must intend to return his life insurance payment then?  I'm curious if this is something this con artist plans to do, would make his character even more complicated.  

I like how the writer used the Heinrich's Theory here, where it calls out that for every major injury incident, there are plenty of other minor incidents that share some thread in the incident that caused injury. We should not overlook even the minor or non-event ones; by addressing the common root of problem, we could prevent the one injured incident to happen.  Well, I just like how the first two stories weaved in and out that concept by giving us secondary looks at KW's scenes to make up the backstory of the Mad Dog team and the heart of the introduction to our drama.  The common threads so far are the plane accident and the insurance company.  I guess this is one drama that I have to not dismiss all shown on screen since I am sure red herrings and smokescreen are written in to fool us.  

Good to see a lot of familiar name here.  Wave @bebebisous33 and @AlexandraReid.  I'm here for @triplem and @stroppyse to support their bae WDH.  He's a natural charmer.  YJT is good as always, ajusshi looks pretty great here.  RHY so far is super loyal to her boss, I'm thinking she will be tested down the line lol.  Jang Hyuk-Jin character seems to be the dubious one, whether it's his liking of Hong Joo or the power/money tempted by Chairman Cha must have dented his relationship with Kang-woo since they were shown close in the flashback.  Enough years of drama tells me that whenever characters take pictures (whether for the purpose of capturing criminals in background) in the beginning of drama, they will end up staring at the same pic later with different perspective on their relationship. :lol:

I haven't given up hope on some romance yet, HJ/KW, HR/KW, MJ/HR... haha.  Looking forward to next week, preview looks all over the place, complicated.

• Like 2

• Mad Dog: Episode 2kbsmaddog02-00035a.jpg

It’s time to dive deep into our hero’s tragic past and find out what drove him to become the Mad Dog that he is today. His loyal band of supporters will follow him to the ends of the Earth, but will the mysterious intrusion into their group provide them with a new ally, or is there more to his story than meets the eye?

EPISODE 2: “Family”

MadDog02-00031.jpg

In the Mad Dog office, mysterious insurance investigator Min-joon wants to collect his prize for proving Mad Dog team leader Kang-woo wrong about the building collapse and asks for the agency. When Kang-woo won’t budge, Min-joon offers a new bet, this time with their families on the line.

We rewind to two years prior, as Kang-woo and his family shop for shoes while he gripes about not needing to shop just for a quick vacation. The store doesn’t have the shoes Kang-woo’s son wants in the right size, so they decide to wait until next time, and his son leaves disappointed.

=== Read more: http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/10/mad-dog-episode-2/

COMMENTS

Well that complicates things. I’m still not exactly sure what Min-joon is plotting at this point, and I can’t imagine Kang-woo will be too eager to entertain Min-joon’s machinations at the moment. There’s not really any reason for any of the Mad Dog team to trust Min-joon right now, so for him to come out after completely fooling them in the building collapse case and say, “Oh, also, my brother was responsible for the deaths of your loved ones and I took all the insurance money from that” is, well, let’s call it bold.

But the fact that he is taking such a bold approach, I think, makes his own motives even more intriguing. If this is how he feels he needs to act to provoke Mad Dog into joining whatever his cause may be, it probably has to be a pretty significant undertaking. I doubt he’s trying to clear his brother’s name completely, but perhaps there was more to the crash than a simple suicide.

It’s certainly suspicious that the broker who helped Go Jin-chul secure insurance payouts for all the women he murdered also happened to issue the policy to Min-joon’s brother. Not only that, but she signed up Kang-woo’s wife for insurance the day before the plane crash. I’ve got a bad feeling that’s not a coincidence, and it will be interesting to see how deep this goes.

Spoiler

kbsmaddog02-00058.jpg

The person I’m most worried might be involved is Manager Park. Curiously, in the past he seemed very friendly with Kang-woo, and showed a great deal of respect for him (though that definitely wasn’t the case for his juniors). In the present, though, their relationship seems more antagonistic, which is odd because they both ostensibly have the same goal of weeding out fraud, albeit with different methods. Still, there shouldn’t be enough there for Manager Park to turn so fiercely against his former colleagues, so I’m worried that his work on the airline crash investigation team led him to some nefarious decisions in order to advance his career.

Whatever Min-joon’s goal may be, he needs to build trust with the rest of the team first, and he’s on thin ice right now, so he’ll need to do something to prove his righteousness. It’s an interesting juxtaposition between Kang-woo and Min-joon, the former commanding absolute loyalty from the Mad Dog crew (Soon-jung beating up Go Jin-chul just because Kang-woo was doing the same is a perfect example of this), while the latter garners almost loathsome reactions from them. Hopefully he manages to gain their trust quickly, because I want nothing more than to watch them all get back to fighting the fraudulent criminals out there.

If the first two episodes are any indication, we’re in for some heart-pumping action throughout. The pace of these first two hours was absolutely torrid, with hardly any breaks in the action to compose your thoughts and process what happened, and I couldn’t be happier about it. Take me on a prolonged adrenaline-fueled ride, show, and I’ll be happy wherever we end up. And if they happen to also pull off the smart caper-y side of it too, then we’ve got a recipe for gold.

kbsmaddog02-00005a.jpg

• Like 3

Finally watched episode 2.  I felt episode 1 was a little slow moving and the multiple tragedies of episode 2 were difficult to endure.  That swindler who set up his girl friends and killed them (and one was pregnant) - ultimately also setting up and killing the insurance newbie, was horrific, sick, psychopathy.  All the deaths were.   

I will hold on longer. These first two are to give us background and to learn who the players are. I am hoping we are past the hell of watching all these innocent people slaughtered for money,  and from now on the storyline will concentrate on other aspects of tracking down and trapping these lunatics who do these terrible things.

I am also enjoying the acting ensemble.  What a great cast.  I like watching all of them act. That keeps me watching because the storyline is painful.

I do think (hope )there will be some (even a little)  romance between MJ and HR. They make a beautiful couple, so the match making reflex is strong.

It has been 5 years (I think) since the  air accident happened in 2012.   Enough time for KW to  bond with someone else even just emotionally at this point. I think he could get closer to Hong Joo who has strong feelings for him.

This drama needs some romantic relief because there is so much tragedy.  

My feeling about KMJ is that his work for the insurance company was all a cover to get into the insurance world and meet Mad Dog.  He has been living with a lot of guilt because of what his brother did. He probably also feels that his brother should not have been allowed to take that insurance policy out - it was malpractice.   I am interested to see what his true motivations are.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:52 AM, solucu said:

I'm in total shock. Today I've watched episode 2 and I can't believe they used the plane crash of Germanwings Flight 9525. There were 150 deaths, including two of my best friends. I think it's a total lack of sensibility, it's been only two years, only!!! and it's very clear they use this case, because the pilot is German, it has mental problems and it's a suicide. I don't think they would ever use the Sewol Ferry as inspiration for any drama episode, because is their own tragedy, so I think they should show some respect to other countries too, knowing their dramas are watched internationally. I'm sorry for the rant, but it has been like living another time the loss of my friends. It sickens me.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry that you had to relive a terrible tragedy.

And I agree that it is a clear reference to the Germanwings tragedy. It was the first thing I thought of after I watched that scene.

However, it's very common for big disasters to be depicted in cinema or TV not long after the incident. There was a depiction of the Sewol tragedy in a K-drama called "Age of Youth."

In the U.S., there are countless movies and TV shows regarding 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc. Many of them were released very soon, just a couple of years or so, after the incident.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1