[Drama 2017] Mad Dog 매드독

Go Seung Ji

12 hours ago, chickfactor said:
On 10/14/2017 at 12:52 PM, solucu said:

I'm in total shock. Today I've watched episode 2 and I can't believe they used the plane crash of Germanwings Flight 9525. There were 150 deaths, including two of my best friends. I think it's a total lack of sensibility, it's been only two years, only!!! and it's very clear they use this case, because the pilot is German, it has mental problems and it's a suicide. I don't think they would ever use the Sewol Ferry as inspiration for any drama episode, because is their own tragedy, so I think they should show some respect to other countries too, knowing their dramas are watched internationally. I'm sorry for the rant, but it has been like living another time the loss of my friends. It sickens me.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry that you had to relive a terrible tragedy.

And I agree that it is a clear reference to the Germanwings tragedy. It was the first thing I thought of after I watched that scene.

However, it's very common for big disasters to be depicted in cinema or TV not long after the incident. There was a depiction of the Sewol tragedy in a K-drama called "Age of Youth."

In the U.S., there are countless movies and TV shows regarding 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc. Many of them were released very soon, just a couple of years or so, after the incident.

@chickfactor  @solucu   It is painful to bring up a specific tragic event, especially when it is so recent.  It would not have been difficult to fictionalize the event more than they did.  Why bring up Germany at all? - another country could have been referenced regarding MJ"s background.    A depressed American pilot also crashed a plane not long ago.  

The situation happens and as the "beneficiary" MJ's position is unique and complex.  I am wondering if he feels that his brother's mental problems were covered up, and he was set up or used by greater powers.  There is something going on behind it all. MJ getting the job as an investigator is a cover for his true purpose which is to work with Mad Dog - although I don't really understand why he could not just walk in and tell them who he is and what he wants to do...........but that would not make good drama I suppose.

• Like 1

Finished the episode, thoughts:

• I still can't really tell who are the good guys in this drama. Especially MJ seems very odd to me, I can't tell if he has good or bad intentions. The fact that he tries to blackmail the four to work with him feels strange. I wonder what his goal is.
  • What's wrong with KW? What the heck is wrong with men today? I can't believe how he just abandoned a pregnant widow at the polove station and let her walk home....ALONE.......IN THE DARK!!!! I was screaming at my screen, what the heck is wrong with him? How could you do that? That the most unmanly thing I have seen in months! You have to protect and secure that she arrives home safely, even if you think she's a scammer, she's pregnant, desperate and helpless! So it doesn't matter what you think, just move your freaking butt and make sure she arrives at home. You are a father! Think about the baby! Gosh.......
  • @stroppyseNo way they end up together! If the bet is still on, I will accept.

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

is E3 good? :lol: I have to catch up....

I almost lost interest in MD since episode 2 (or was it episode 1?) was a bit of a let down, but it was actually the OST at the ending credits that drew me back in lol. Episode 3 is a lot more better, and I can see myself watching more episodes. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Finished the episode, thoughts:

• I still can't really tell who are the good guys in this drama. Especially MJ seems very odd to me, I can't tell if he has good or bad intentions. The fact that he tries to blackmail the four to work with him feels strange. I wonder what his goal is.
  • What's wrong with KW? What the heck is wrong with men today? I can't believe how he just abandoned a pregnant widow at the polove station and let her walk home....ALONE.......IN THE DARK!!!! I was screaming at my screen, what the heck is wrong with him? How could you do that? That the most unmanly thing I have seen in months! You have to protect and secure that she arrives home safely, even if you think she's a scammer, she's pregnant, desperate and helpless! So it doesn't matter what you think, just move your freaking butt and make sure she arrives at home. You are a father! Think about the baby! Gosh.......
  • @stroppyseNo way they end up together! If the bet is still on, I will accept.

It is clear that KMJ needs the team Mad dog to discover the real circumstances of the plane crash. Then KW is close to HJ and can have access to the insurance files. KMJ can not work alone on this. The blackmail was just the trigger for KMJ to push mad dog in the right direction: have his eyes opened. Right now, KW is too blinded by his pain to see that there is more than just a insurance scam. To him, there is one culprit: the assistant pilot. So he chose KEJ's case for two reasons. KEJ used to know KBJ, since they came from the same orphanage. Yet the main reason is this. Notice the parallels between the death of KMJ's brother's and the husband's death.

• Both signed a contract but they hid their illness, well aware that if the insurance wouldn't have accepted them as clients. However, the husband was worried because of his disease. Since his wife was an orphan, after his death she would be on her own raising a child. Hence he wanted to make sure that she wouldn't have to struggle financially, since she had no family to help her. KMJ was in a similar situation. His adoptive family had abandoned him as well, therefore he only had his brother as family. If KBJ had to die, KMJ would be on his own.
  • Because they hid their illness, they are now viewed as con artist. They intended to scam the insurance. Since KMJ and KEJ are the beneficiaries of the insurance policies, then they are stigmatized as the scammers. However, it is clear that KEJ is not happy about the money. And KMJ is actually in the same position. Moreover, KEJ mentioned that she wouldn't take the money from the insurance... another clue that KMJ did the same as well or is using the money for revealing the truth.

However, KMJ didn't expect to make this discovery: Ms. Lee came from the same orphanage too.

Anyway, the circumstances of Lee Soo Oh's death are really suspicious. The colleague seems to be really suspicious for many reasons:

• He must have known that Lee Soo Oh was suffering from Luf. disease but he left the guy in the car, where the sun was shining!!! It is like giving a key to a man who is totally drunk. You are exposing the man to danger. He knew that he would get hurt.
  • Moreover, LSO had only drunk so little based on the testimony of the witness but he became unconscious. To me, this indicates that he must have drunk some drug.
  •  Then they are searching in the same topic.

But because the car caught on fire, his death was so weird that it made it look like a plan. Then due to the lie to the insurance, his death was perceived as a scam. Finally, the laptop disappeared after KEJ was transferred to the hospital. Someone else than KMJ visited her flat. We were shown that she had been followed. I can imagine that the other guy must have followed her. He had his reasons. KEJ had blamed him for her husband's death in public and KW had acted as her guardian. He could have been afraid that someone would listen to ther theory.

Through that case, KW might realise that there is more than just a suicide committed by his brother who killed and injured many people.

@bedifferent I really enjoyed the episode 3. I feel more sorry for KMJ than before. The burden to be stigmatised as con artist must be really hard. 

@maddymappo I am glad that you are here too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2