[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

21 minutes ago, romanov said:

Uhm, how did sunny died?

And why did she come to the tea room?

So people in afterlife can get older too, hmmm..

Sunny died of old age illness, it is written on her death card. 

She moved, and grew old on her own without contacting GR. 

When she died (age 68), she went into tea room at around the same time (age 68).

My take on how Sunny entered the room: they did not get an 'old' actress for just 1 scene. So, they got a person who is old to 'enter' the tea room, and only filmed back scene. When Sunny entered, she is shown as her young self. If you observe the other tea room scenes, if the people have met in the dead person's earlier life, they transform into the younger version. For example, Canada boy with a hat who became really old, Goblin came to say goodbye to him in tea room. He was shown as younger boy too, if I am not mistaken. Same for South Korean / North Korean couple. My understanding is the South Korean / North Korean couple are siblings. But I may be wrong.

So Sunny is depicted as 'young Sunny', but actually she died at age 68.

---

I have separate questions.

1. Why did the wedding involve 'a bowl of water'? 

2. Why did ET say that getting married with a bowl of water 'is more mysterious'?

//Edit// Adding Question 3 -

3. The wedding vow is super interesting: "Until death parts us, every word you say, whatever it may be, me too." Is this a traditional Korean wedding vow? Or did writer KES come up with her own wedding vow? I had previously watched K drama but I have never seen a wedding ceremony in a drama before.

Once again, thanks in advance to all who know about Korean culture to explain it. 

About the wedding, I like that she has short hair! I really, really like that! Most brides have long hair and in Asia long hair is 'feminine', so I like that she has short hair and KS still looks taken aback by her beauty. 

And I love that there were no family members, or signing of any papers. It's just a love honoured between two people who truly love each other and no need for any distrust. I've read about 'elopement weddings' where couples just elope with a wedding registration person and a photographer. No family drama. And do not need to spend too much money too.

I wish upon a birthday cake and candle to feel such a romantic love in my lifetime. 

• Like 20

46 minutes ago, romanov said:

Edited : okay i get it now.i get it after second watch:D @fikachuuu

CEO scene appeared not long after GR-Sunny went to afterlife. So by adding 30+ years in his 30+ or 40years(when he's appointed as CEO) so he must be in his 70s.

Then, KS leaves his house and meet GR-Sunny. They are in their 30s. So 30+ years has passed from CEO scene.

The KS meets ET in canada.

Lolol thanks for the explanation. I hadn't realised I actually answered my own question in the previous post. I think  all this confusion started because I assumed that GR-Sunny reincarnation scene happened in the same timeline as CEO scene. Haha

Timestamps would have been helpful or I'm just dense. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 4

@romanov Lol I have messed up the math sorry. ET came back after 60 years,  [ timeline : 1st Sunny died, after 30 years 2nd phase: sunny/reaper both 30ish , so 30+30 would be 60 years.]

11 minutes ago, shahlooblah said:

It does look like Secretary Kim had a really long life and that probably means Yoo Duk-Hwa was that old man telling him about the noisy kids outside. It couldn't have been anyone else. So he wasn't completely alone.

No that man was a butler probably. They don't need to know every single details I guess. I thought he was moving out of his hotel.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 122am said:

When she died (age 68), she went into tea room at around the same time (age 68).

My take on how Sunny entered the room: they did not get an 'old' actress for just 1 scene. So, they got a person who is old to 'enter' the tea room, and only filmed back scene. When Sunny entered, she is shown as her young self. If you observe the other tea room scenes, if the people have met in the dead person's earlier life, they transform into the younger version. For example, Canada boy with a hat who became really old, Goblin came to say goodbye to him in tea room. He was shown as younger boy too, if I am not mistaken. 

Aaah okay i understand now:) I never understand the name card, no subs on it too.

So she lived a lonely life after leaving?:bawling:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 122am said:

My take on how Sunny entered the room: they did not get an 'old' actress for just 1 scene. So, they got a person who is old to 'enter' the tea room, and only filmed back scene. When Sunny entered, she is shown as her young self. If you observe the other tea room scenes, if the people have met in the dead person's earlier life, they transform into the younger version. For example, Canada boy with a hat who became really old, Goblin came to say goodbye to him in tea room. He was shown as younger boy too, if I am not mistaken. Same for South Korean / North Korean couple. My understanding is the South Korean / North Korean couple are siblings. But I may be wrong.

---

I have separate questions.

1. Why did the wedding involve 'a bowl of water'? 

2. Why did ET say that getting married with a bowl of water 'is more mysterious'?

About the wedding, I like that she has short hair! I really, really like that! Most brides have long hair and in Asia long hair is 'feminine', so I like that she has short hair and KS still looks taken aback by her beauty. 

I wish upon a birthday cake and candle to feel such a romantic love in my lifetime. 

I think North South korea couple are a married couple since she mentioned that they got married on her first birthday if I remember correctly and he wasn't able to return to her because of the creation of the DMZ (not sure what that is)

Yeah if only we can summon our second halves just by blowing on candles that would be awesome. Would save alot of time from all the dating business haha.

I also want to add one question: What's the significance of the hairclip scene? We were shown that the hairclip was bought by KS's reincarnated second in command (he also got some greens from the red lady). And it made a reappearance on whom I assume is his teenager daughter. Does the hairclip mean that you are going to blessed with a child soon or something? I was thinking that the daughter of the second in command might be ET's potential new mum or something but I might just be thinking too much. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, nearsea said:

No that man was a butler probably. They don't need to know every single details I guess. I thought he was moving out of his hotel.

Reason I say it is Duk-Hwa is because he added the sir at the end like his grandfather used to do before. Also said almost the same tone Duk-Hwa's grandfather used to say it as well.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, romanov said:

@nearsea yes, it's around 60 years. 

I think the old man can be Deok Hwa, since he calls KS with honorific 'naeuri'. Who else will call him that except Yu family.

If that is the case I'm sad that they didn't interact much like how they used to. It'd be funny if even at that age Deok hwa were to still call him Samcheon . :D

• Like 3

On 08/01/2017 at 5:09 PM, bebebisous33 said:

About your question: how did Sunny know about the GR's presence. Here is my answer

@ucylucy Thanks for posting the two scenes (Kim Shin walking towards King Yeo and GR). By the way, since I have been able towatch the last episode, the female Grim Reaper Kim seems to be shocked to see her past. Now, I am wondering how Park Joong Won wants to destroy Kim Shin and Wang Yeo. Does he want the two of them to "kill each other"? But it's impossible! So how does he plan to destroy them? Then I came to this idea that he needs to take away what both love. For GR, it is Kim Sun and for KS, it is his bride. So at some point, I can imagine that Park Joong Won might indeed use the female GR. She was shocked to discover her past and her sin... maybe since she is so admired among the GR, she doesn't want anyone to know about her past and ruin her image as "angel". By destroying their friendship, GR won't be able to help Kim Shin with ET and the same will happen to Kim Sun, Wang Yeo's love. 

However, I am suspecting that Eun Tak's fate is connected to the evil missing soul's fate. If she takes the sword away, I have the impression that Park Joong Won will vanish as well. 

Sorry for the late response, but I don't have permission to see your content.. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, romanov said:

@nearsea yes, it's around 60 years. 

I think the old man can be Deok Hwa, since he calls KS with honorific 'naeuri'. Who else will call him that except Yu family.

@shahlooblah But an attendant from the hotel would also address him as 'sir' right? Or  I don't know if there is any other korean word which suits the term better. When ET comes back if 60 years have passed in between, then deok hwa would be 30+30+30=90 yrs old. :S The butler didn't look that old. Also I doubt Shin would make Deok Hwa do those chores considering their relationship. DH should sit at the top of the business remember?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cybermew said:

I know ET didn't drink the forgetness(?) water. But how is it possible that she remembered and onlyfind him now? Does it mean she remembered from birth? Or only after she grew up? How I wished they addressed that..

I read some novels with reincarnated characters and mostly they remember everything from birth or from their earliest concious memories (sometimes they even are distant with their parents because of it). Don't know if it is like that here but I think it may be. By the way the tea of oblivion doesn't take effect instantly but only when they go directly to next cycle. 

She didn't find Kim Shin earlier because:

1. She was technically kid and that's kind of stepping boundaries and going into eeek territory. She preferred to meet him at age they have met in the past life.

2. Don't think she has any powers (as summoning him, seeing ghosts) like before. She is completely human. So she must look for him in normal ways (kind of hard for middle age kid).

That's my take on this.

12 minutes ago, cybermew said:

I know ET didn't drink the forgetness(?) water. But how is it possible that she remembered and onlyfind him now? Does it mean she remembered from birth? Or only after she grew up? How I wished they addressed that..

Hmm...Maybe because she wouldn't have the means to find him again before reaching adulthood? (Reaching 20y/o) A child would need to have parents' permission to go places, they can't travel feely (even to nearby places). Another reason might be because if she presented herself to be KS any younger KS woukd be considered even more of a paedophile since she would be underaged (less than 20 in korean age) haha.

I think it would be weird for her to remember since birth since at that age you wouldn't be developed enough yet to make memories? So my guess is she might have regain her memories at an age where she can think for herself probably age 9 (I just made out the number because it's the first number close to 10 the perfect number) and then at 19 was the time she is able to find him ( the second number close to being perfect). Then again don't take my word for it as I just made that up based on the first 2-3 eps of goblin. :sweatingbullets: Where at 9 ET lost her mum and became independent (able to think for herself) and at 19 was the first time she met the Goblin. 

• Like 11

@cybermew Okay, I don't know why the link is not working any longer. So I will answer to your question again: When GR appeared, he had the ring in his hand which he unfortunately let drop. The sound of the ring dropping, then the rolling alarmed her that there was a presence. So she came back and acted as if she had heard and seen nothing. Yet, the ring was still on the floor. So she came to the back of the restaurant and took that branch. In my opinion, she had already noticed where the ring was. She estimated the high and his position based on the ring. She knew that he couldn't have moved so quickly. She only disappeared for a few minutes. Finally, we shouldn't forget that she had already had many experiences like that, where she felt a presence (the drunk man) and heard noises (the cellphone ringing or the texting). 

By the way, the reason why JET didn't appear so early is simple: she had not lost her memories, yet she only needed to appear, when she was old enough. Notice that she is a school student who is visiting Canada. In my opinion, she knew that during that time, he would be there. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, selenette said:

I think @CamelKnight would want to be that guy.

That wouldn't be safe for Yoo In Na :tongue: 

@packmule3 Thanks for tagging me into this. Sincerely thanks. I finished watching the last 3 episodes today and just made this into my number one K-Drama. Secret Garden has been on top since the very beginning, but Goblin just outdid it. I actually shed a few tears during EP 15 and 16. The story is so intense, the actors so good, the music so emotional...

I told my wife I want to watcht his drama with her. Not asked. Told. I really believe/hope that she'll come to love K-Drama too after watching Goblin as Goblin just has the entire package. It's fun, it's cute, it's romantic, it's got action, it's a true drama.

I feel a little bit empty inside now though. The next K-Drama I'm going to watch has some serious standard to live up to. Productions this good make me feel worried about the next I'm going to watch. I feel I'll not give it a proper chance as it will undoubtedly not live up to the high bars Goblin has managed to set.

• Like 20

32 minutes ago, ghosthunt said:

I read some novels with reincarnated characters and mostly they remember everything from birth or from their earliest concious memories (sometimes they even are distant with their parents because of it). Don't know if it is like that here but I think it may be. By the way the tea of oblivion doesn't take effect instantly but only when they go directly to next cycle. When they cross over (afterworld) they remember all their lifes. Don't know if it applies here in Goblin too.

She didn't find Kim Shin earlier because:

1. She was technically kid and that's kind of stepping boundaries and going into eeek territory. She preferred to meet him at age they have met in the past life.

2. Don't think she has any powers (as summoning him, seeing ghosts) like before. She is completely human. So she must look for him in normal ways (kind of hard for middle age kid).

That's my take on this.

Oh interesting. If you don't mind, can you share what some of the titles of those novels you've read? You've piqued my curiosity. Haha

2. I would like if ET were to keep her supernatural abilities. If not seeing ghosts, then at least her ablity to summon him at least. (Maybe meeting him again would trigger this ability again or something) Since she's still the Goblin's bride for three more lives. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

By the way, the reason why JET didn't appear so early is simple: she had not lost her memories, yet she only needed to appear, when she was old enough. Notice that she is a school student who is visiting Canada. In my opinion, she knew that during that time, he would be there. 

Or your theory on angel could work too. That's why she exactly knew where and when to find him. Although she did say that this time she will come back and 'go to him first'. :dissapointed: Lol I can't even listen to Ailee's song anymore just cause of all those deaths and sobs. This is part of the reason I don't like the dramas with tragic ending, then all the happy memories become part of the sadness.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, fikachuuu said:

Oh interesting. If you don't mind, can you share what some of the titles of those novels you've read? You've piqued my curiosity. Haha

2. I would like if ET were to keep her supernatural abilities. If not seeing ghosts, then at least her ablity to summon him at least. (Maybe meeting him again would trigger this ability again or something) Since she's still the Goblin's bride for three more lives. 

Of course :wink: Gonna look around for a moment :wink: