[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

32 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@carolinedl I am glad that you have decided to join this thread and stop lurking. I am eager to read your analysis as well.

Ah I have not much to say. I find Goblin to be pretty straight forward and I have not been surprised thus far... I knew from episode 3 that GR was the King and Sunny KS's sister; I knew he was probably going to be the one buying the necklace; etc. There are a lot of symbols and parallels, sometimes reversed (like you showed very well in your previous analysis!), but I find them to be pretty redeable.

I nonetheless like to read the in-depht analyses here.

Also it might be because I am distracted by Goong Yoo. I am a HUGE fan. As soon as he appears on screen, my brain shuts down! Ha ha ha :wub:

Oh I have a question: was the intro song released?

• Like 14

A scene just came to mind: When General KS turned goblin came back to the palace, the body and funeral he was witnessing was not his sisters, it was the kings/WY/GR's. He did promise the previous king that he will protect WY. In the end, with a probable regretful & lonely heart, the king died slowly into depression because no one was left to be next to him except for the vile eunuch. People actually die from that (reading into psychology). I hope that when the GR finds out about his true self, he won't be the same. I hope that ET (with some weird will power from KS) can encourage him more to pursue his own happiness with Sunny.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, azuri said:@Sarang21 LOL!!! 

Thanks to your reference... They are indeed the KIM siblings! 

A kiwi/penguin looking bird and a chick? :crazy:

On another note... Why is our Sunny wearing that yellow bad looking jacket with red top again? I don't know about the rest of the immortals/brides in this forum... But.. I don't like what she's wearing though. :sweatingbullets:

I think she had to wear that yellow jacket so GB can deliver his encouraging words "Fried egg" to GR and SN. I can't stop lol-ing watching that scene.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

multi-stars-smiley.gif?1292867640 First of all, I wished you and all my other chingus  new-year-smiley.gif?1292867642 2017!!

Spoiler

Thanks for posting the link with the analysis from supaliaxpress! It was really interesting, just like your thoughts completing her analysis. This pushed me to complete my own analysis (see page 1 on this thread) about the topic "walking symbolising living". The more we have episodes, the more striking it is. But let me go back to the episode 7 because from that episode, I had stopped analysing the walking. So this is going to be a long post again!! dig in smileywriter pink mouse

In the episode 7, the viewer can even observe how Kim Shin takes the lead in the following scene. She has to go to her school and missed her bus.  

As you can observe, Kim Shin is running in front of her and he is smiling so that his happiness is visible. Yet he is walking because he needs to help JET. So far, his purpose is again not for himself, but for JET. BUT she doesn't know that this makes him happy, for her he is just helping and in my opinion, this is important. Eun Tak doesn't know what this walk means to him. He is by her side, but she doesn't realise the real value of this event. He is living and enjoying it.

Then in the episode 9, unlike in the episode 6 where he waited for Eun Tak whike she was walking,  we contemplate a reversed situation (from the scene shown in the episode 6). In the episode 9, he is the one walking to her, while she is waiting. In this scene (episode 6), Kim Shin recitated a poem and associated Eun Tak to life and death so that we can conclude that Kim Shin was connecting Eun Tak to mortality! Since Ji Eun Tak's walking symbolised life and death, Ji Eun tak can only represent mortality. So in the episode 9, the reversed situation illustrates that Kim Shin is not just going to live, but also his walking symbolises the end of his "immortality". He is in a metaphorical sense giving up his immortality. He goes to his life and death!! Like you @theseasasleep mentioned it, Eun Tak has become his reason to live and to die and now after the last two episodes, Ji Eun Tak is well aware of it. Notice that she summoned him and he didn't appear next to her, like she expected. 

He was already waiting for her. He explained this by saying that he wanted to get ahead of her. Nonetheless, we had the impression that the summoning wasn't working any more. Only the explanation gave us a reassurance. Then Ji Eun Tak comments in this scene

that it hasn't rained lately. She notices that there was no huge weather change lately. I know that it is connected to his happiness, yet I have the impression that the writer is pointing into that direction: he is about to lose little by little his power. As conclusion, I believe, his loss of his immortality is evoked in this scene. Sure, he has not lost his power yet, since he still has the sword in his chest. 

Then let's go back to the walking and his position. In the past, I had brought up his passivity. He was either waiting for JET or he was just following her because he felt he had to. Nonetheless, his position has changed. In the episode 9, he walked towards her so that we can see a change of his behaviour: he is now active. Someone can retort that he still keeps walking behind JET in the same episode. However his motivation is different. He is not just following her because he feels he has to; he wants to be by her side and protect... Then he surprises JET by appearing in front of her. This illustrates that he is anticipating things: he is not just behind her, following her but he is trying to do things for her. JET represents his purpose in life and like you wrote, he wants JET to include him in her life, to be her "raison de vivre" (purpose in life) as well. 

But the episode 10 reinforces this idea that actually Kim Shin is more and more living like a human. One of the most striking scene is his trip to Quebec!! This time, we see him walking on his own and alone... looking for JET's necklace. He is no longer the passive man, he is initiating and preparing the future. Just like in the scene where he appeared in front of her. Secondly, the other clue that Kim Shin is living more and more like a human is revealed, when it comes to housework.  In the earlier episodes, we never saw him participating to the housework. But in the last episodes, we see that he is helping now. GR asked him to take care of the laundry, he even went to the grocerystore willingly. He is not delegating task any longer...

Finally, I would like to analyse this particular scene: here we have GR and Kim Shin walking side by side. Sure, the writer wanted to make a parody of the scene in the episode 2. Yet this scene is interesting for many reasons:    

here we have GR and Kim Shin walking side by side. Sure, the writer wanted to make a parody of the scene in the episode 2. Yet this scene is interesting for many reasons: unlike in the episode 2, they act like humans!

- They didn't appear out of nowhere. They are walking like humans (no teleportation)

- Neither GR nor KS use their supernatural powers (lights off aso)

- They are not acting like superheroes: save someone! They are just on the way back home in order to eat their meal! Just an ordinary task, nothing special.

- They don't get upset and angry, when the motorbike driver insults them... they remain calm and say something... remember how mad KS was at the gangsters. He would have killed them, if JET hadn't stopped them. All this illustrates that Kim Shin's resent is lessening, he is more peaceful with this world. 

Like you wrote, @theseasasleep, he is sincerely desiring to live with JET as a human. When he was threatened and warned by the goddess, he actually wanted to remain as a goblin, while living next to JET. The thread worked because he is now trying to behave more like a human (dating JET, helping his friend to reconciliate with her girlfriend). In my opinion, he still likes playing god (stopping time or disappearing in front of the thief/thug), yet he is enjoying more and more a normal life. Notice that when he fought against the thugs, he used his own skills as warrior, he didn't use any supernatural power like in the episode 2 or 8!! He didn't twist his hand with his superpowers... he hurt the guy with the stick!!  

As conclusion, KS is unaware that he is on his way to give up his immortality. When he will accept that he doesn't need his superpower, he will ask JET to remove the sword. However, he will need JET to live as a human. As we can see, the need mentioned with this scene

is another important value that transpire through the drama as well. JET needs love, needs a home, needs protection... just like KS needs to stop resenting the world and god! 

That's it for now!! Tell me what you think about it.... tin tin pink mouse

@LyraYoo @selenette @ucylucy @staygold @Jloves @naritul @Princi_86 @triplem @carolinedl@papulichan@sakura2016 @ez_yan cute-rabbit-emoticon-02.gif?1301940529@blademan This analysis was much longer!

happy new year to all of you chingudeull!! :heart: 

Great analys again chingu!! :thumbsup: I agree with you that Kim Shin is starting to live since his 900 years of living was more about him not dying more than really living and he's starting to live as a human as well!! I LOVED the fight scene!! :love: I loved how he used his own strength without the use of his unhuman powers to fight them and how he showed that he's still the GREAT General he used to be who is capable of beating the lights out of his "ennemies" on his own with his own strength before gaining the Goblin's powers!! sadly Eun Tak didn't see that, I wanted her to see who he is/was without his superpowers!! but maybe another time?!! :D

• Like 12

The promo material said early on the WY/Sunny ship would have a different feel from the KS/ET ship... the  natural assumption was the former was going to be sexier, more crackling , etc. per that  still Pose of her in sexy black dress and him holding her leg. And the Main OTP  was going totally sweet and pure and sad. But in actuality the opposite is true... The writer is making her leads sweetly sexy and,  well, you can tell from the hand blowing scene he was bothered in the best  and very non platonic way :)  

• Like 21

Finally watched ep 9 and 10, and loved ep 9 more! I think the transition between comedy and melo in this drama is very subtle but still I relish more Shin's meaningful speeches and reminiscence of the past. As an aside, I was happy when they added that small detail of the trinket and Shin went back to Quebec to buy it from the gypsy lady.

About Deok Hwa, wow now there's no more mystery about him being a non ordinary human I assume? He can obviously read Shin's mind, and I remember the opening song always add this serious look on his face, which should not have been overlooked!  He looked like a wise man, and also had no sign of respect or manner towards the red lady. Also the way she addressed him and vented at him , it doesn't look like they're bystanders :S. And I have watched the earliers episodes some week back and this scene always struck me as something odd, on ep 3 when DH was meeting Eun Tak at the library.

"I thought I lost it. Thank you.

-I get that. I think you're past the age to be reading that.

No, just for research.

What about you? Why this book?

-Ah. I know a goblin.

- Huh?

- What?

Doesn't everyone know a goblin?

Really?
What do you mean, really, Young Woman?
What do you say when someone asks for the deposit? "No."
This closet is nice.
"I don't want to."

What if someone asks to buy you snacks?

Get lost."

He was speaking on meta, or alluding to something that we don't know of, but now that I remember, he always spoke the outright truth lol. For instance, referring to his own powers ' I have my own way of finding her' or always being the first person to be aware of GR's identity, the only odd link is his generation of the chaebols, it can't be they are all him in different bodies.

And @packmule3,Fate vs Destiny has been brought back co-incidentally, so all those education about fate and destiny is now paying off lol. That inclusion of a man in the immortal tea room was amusing, and writer made us think about man's will power in the crappiest way possible, but then it is also implying the fact that , man has been given free will. So even if there is the thread of fate in play, destiny would be in man's hand, if they have the good will to fight for their life/ or whatever they covet, it is not impossible after all. So loved ep 9 all in all, and have to say sometimes I don't even think logically as cause 'goblin' can take us to the fairy land, where immortals and mortals are living side by side, and they make us believe about magic and fantasies. So here hoping more for melo and more insights from dokkaebi-sshi <33.

• Like 19

@bebebisous33 reading your post about how the story is coming full circle. And how certain situations in the past is happening again in the present time, I also thought about one particular scene that also fit. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I haven´t backread as 25+ pages was too much for me :sweatingbullets:.

Anyway the scene is this one:

zglhzzh9.jpg

In ep 1  it was DH who turned around and asked the lady in red out for a drink. in ep 9 it was the lady in red who asked him out for a drink. That scene left an impact on me, as it shows how great of a character development he went through. He didn´t give her much attention. He was more focused on his duty as KS´s servant. He didn´t wanted to leave KS alone to go have a drink with her. It´s true that he didn´t have his credit card at that moment, but I felt like if he really wanted to go with her he would have found another way to do so.

Another thing has been on my mind since I read @packmule3 post about tthe difference between fate and destiny. It´s the necklace that ET wore in KS´s vision 

klsgon6n.jpg

The word is "Destin"  french for destiny or fate . But in this case I interpret it as destiny. Meaning that, with the tragic fate that they were given, they were able to change into a happy end.

• Like 19

Per IG shirleylsf0716[170101] "below pic is the script for all historical part in Goblin from ep9 to 16. That means we may see our beautiful and lovely queen in the remaining drama again"

Wow - so we will have historical scenes up to episode 16. I'm excited to see what Kim Eun Sook has planned for the rest of Goblin. It sounds like the script might be finished. I know it's a long shot (and I like Eun Tak being special and unique in Goblin) but I would love to see Kim Go Eun in Goryeo costume. She would look so beautiful.

• Like 20

First of all,Happy New Year Guys!!!May 2017 be a much better year and all the troubles and pain be left in 2016!!!!

Oh boy,it's so facinating to see just how different are Human Shin and Goblin Shin personality wise...I guess 939 years does indeed that to one's personality but it still is facinating seeing the two of them,how he was then,all serious,solemn and even scary and how childishly adorable he is now,for some moments i wonder"Is that really the same Sin,or is he a lost twin"...I bet Human Shin would instant die if he saw his future self....Still even though i like human Shin i prefer the Goblin Shin,the short tempered,way too petty man-child,he is annoyingly adorable,i want to smack him and after hug him(and Gong Yoo priceless expressions help it)..Also that one of a kind tunnel while grocery shopping walk was hilarious along with the BGM on the background,it never felt more cool doing shopping and it was even more hilarious because they went soo fast and did it both of them just because Eun Tak said they looked cool...The BGM for this drama is seriously AMAZING!!!

• Like 14

Guest AlexMao

Does anyone happen to recognize this track? It's been played several times throughout the series, most notably whenever one of them is in Canada. I've checked the OST and from the 7-8 tracks released I didn't see/hear it.

3 minutes ago, AlexMao said:

Does anyone happen to recognize this track? It's been played several times throughout the series, most notably whenever one of them is in Canada. I've checked the OST and from the 7-8 tracks released I didn't see/hear it.

It's not yet released!:confounded:

• Like 3

Lee Dongwook makes a big impact with 3-second preview for 'Goblin'

1.jpg

Sports Joseon via Naver: 'Goblin' Lee Dongwook showcases the King's story in 3 seconds with his eyes

1. [+8321, -43] Just by looking at his eyes.... you can feel his pain

2. [+7655, -47] His impact yesterday.. this last scene said it all

3. [+6845, -52] I knew Lee Dongwook was handsome but he's truly so cool...

4. [+5587, -53] I can imagine a lot of things with just this one scene.. I imagine Kim Yeo sitting down in this scene with paintings of Kim Sun and him longing for her or he could be painting her face himself.. His eyes look so empty and sad.

5. [+5012, -54] This ending was seriously legendary~~ his eyes on its own tell the whole story of his heartbreak~

6. [+1037, -5] I'm seeing Lee Dongwook in a new light~ I got goosebumps. He certified his 17-year acting experience with one scene. I hope for him to be much much much more successful

7. [+1023, -1] So he was being cute all this time to shock us all of a sudden with his sexiness

8. [+981, -3] I'm sure all the viewers were expecting it already but I really got goosebumps when I saw the last scene. His eyes really did seem like such a lonely and devastated king.

9. [+948, -2] It was just one scene, with no lines, but his presence was so great. I felt the strength of the actor because he was able to deliver in one moment how the King lived after the Queen's death

10. [+943, -5] Wow I thought Lee Dongwook wouldn't fit historical dramas but he totally matches it... I got goosebumps....

http://inkigeul.blogspot.ca/2017/01/lee-dongwook-makes-big-impact-with-3.html

***********************************************************************************************************

Lovely FMV of Sunny and GR. The feels and and angst in Wookie's eyes.

Cr Nezuko

• Like 22