[Drama 2020] It's Okay not to be Okay, 사이코지만 괜찮아

0ly40

@Ameera Ali just updated me on Choi Daniel joining IONTBO. And my first thought was: We'll finally see a jealous MKT.

We already saw him with the CEO, when he said he is even KMY's "namja" but... now it'll be a real competition. :P Can't wait! :) 

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, Bleu Winter said:

3) MY's mum was a crime novel writer, and maybe some of the stories were based on true stories which we may be able to find some relevance and evidence through her stories. She maybe the killer or either had split personality as a writer and killer, or she maybe a person who was forced and locked up to write stories if not she be murdered as well. 

This might be  a wild hypothesis, but I think she wrote how she died in the book "Murder of the Witch of the West". 

And we will find out how she did so when one of the characters (maybe Kang-tae or Juri) get their hands on the book that one of the patients is reading. I'd actually be happy if it were Juri, and this would be her 'redemption' arc (not that she needs one, but given the backlash she's been receiving for throwing jealousy fits...).

It may be the reason why it was published post-humously. The copy was already sent to the publisher before she killed herself.

Seriously, the questions that these drama poses.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

What sets off Moon Young?

What I love about this drama is how the patients are also being used to advance the main character's plot. This is optimum screenwriting. 

In episode 6, the patient with the Flutist daughter notices JuRi eyeing Kang Tae during their aerobics session. In her delusion, she gets annoyed that JuRi is going to steal the man she has identified as a boyfriend for her daughter. She "calls" and tells her daughter to hurry to the hospital so that she can lock in this guy who is "1000 times more handsome" than her last blind date. Turns out that she thinks Moon Young is her Flutist daughter. She proceeds to aggravate Moon Young by accosting her and insisting that she meet this hot dude. Moon Young is clearly disturbed by this lady calling herself her "Mother" and speaks so harshly to her that she faints. The next time we see Moon Young, she is in her bedroom. She has clearly been impacted by the episode and she lies in her bed, looking unsettled. Kang Tae stands at her door, worried that she left her phone at the hospital and hasn't eaten.

I think that references to her "Mother" trigger Moon Young's paralysis.

While watching episode 6 for the third time, it struck me that she slept well on the night that Kang Tae comes over to the house. We also see a cute "Good Night" write itself on her window. She wakes up to chirping birds and soft morning light and announces that she's slept well, perhaps soothed because her plan to make Kang Tae live in her castle has worked...lol. 

The next time we see her asleep, it is in the scene after the altercation with the patient. Kang Tae leaves the food at the door as she ignores him, curled up in her bed. She falls asleep soon after. We then see her go down into that basement room. She sits at the dressing table and combs her hair, and her mother appears to her self and then she changes into her younger self. A conversation takes place then Mother then screams at her, "Why did you bring him here?". We then see Moon Young in bed gasp and open her eyes, in the grip of her sleep paralysis.

Did the writer want us to contrast the two sleep scenes? I don't know. I also don't remember the specifics of the circumstances that set off the first sleep paralysis episode, so if someone would be so kind as to make a comparison, I would be happy.

I also noted that in both instances, the sleep paralysis happened as Moon Young was sleeping on her back. I checked online and found that sleeping on your back increases the chances of having a sleep paralysis incident. It also involves hallucinations that cause fear, so I think the "Mother" hovering over her bed and throughout this entire scene is a hallucination.. I love this attention to detail. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/295039

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 6

13 minutes ago, africandramalover said:

I also noted that in both instances, the sleep paralysis happened as Moon Young was sleeping on her back. I checked online and found that sleeping on your back increases the chances of having a sleep paralysis incident. It also involves hallucinations that cause fear, so I think the "Mother" hovering over her bed and throughout this entire scene is a hallucination. I love this attention to detail. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/295039

Thanks for noting the sleep paralysis, it's just one of the many, many layers in this drama.

Interesting observation about sleeping on your back & having hallucinations, didn't know that. I sleep almost always on my chest. :D 

However, since you mention it, it's a super important detail that yes, KMY was seeing her mother hovering over her but once MKT entered the room, he leaned over KMY too. Honestly, since her mother was threatening that she'd kill the "prince" too, I expected the ghost to do something to MKT or at least be present next to him. But the ghost seemed to completely disappear once he came closer to KMY and hugged her. Which makes me think that MKT will not only psychologically save KMY but, in some way, physically too - he will be the one having the mental and physical strength to stand against the ghosts and demons in KMY's head and life.

Yet, the ghost kinda "appeared" around MST - the room's door opened and closed when he was passing by. And he followed it, so it might have been some kind of invitation.

Or another possible theory... only those with some psychological conditions "see" or "feel" the ghost - hence KMY's hallucinations or what MST noticed. Which makes me go back to the fact that MKT will be the only one capable to fight those.

• Like 11

On 7/7/2020 at 12:45 AM, hhsl9407 said:

p/s: there’s one thing I was wondering, in the interview where KSH was asked to draw what's inside KT's brain, they mentioned his “future bride” (the engsub said so idk), meaning KT’s wish of finding the love of his life right?

AH THIS INTERVIEW. It was really hard to comprehend this  because I don't know if it's Moon-young or Seo Yeji OR Kang-tae or Kim Soohyun speaking. I don't know if they're being themselves or their respective characters. 

Anyway, back to "future bride". I did see an interview with that translation, but KSH also puts "director". I think SYJ also pointed it out. And as a biased viewer, I had to think about whose brain it really represents: Soo-hyun or Kang-tae??? (I'll save my thoughts for the other thread. Thank goodness, we have two, or this will be a huge mess of shipping characters/actors and the actual plot discussion.)

Either way, I'm just glad that this is a drama where we don't have to spend time trying to figure out if the attraction is present OR to whom that attraction is directed. We're just watching how their relationship would progress while unraveling what on the earth happened all those years ago.

P.S. There's a fan who saw the drama being shot and Seo Yeji was wearing a school uniform. I'm guessing we're going to get a flashback when she was in HS :D

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

Speaking of sleep paralysis, I used to get it frequently and some years back my therapist at the time gave me a great tip for breaking out of it fast. When it happens, close your eyes really tight (to avoid seeing a disturbing image) and focus on wiggling your toes until your muscles wake up.  It works like a charm!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Bleu Winter said:

If she was a psychopath, she would have no problems hurting others but she doesn't.  

Well of course not all psychopaths will turn up as murderers anyway. Some survive well like normal people with good family support.  

I believe that the core of Mun Yeong is good. In the most critical moments, her actions have shown that she does have a conscience. In both instances where she used the “should I or should I not” method to determine if she should help the Moon brothers, they landed on “not”. Despite that, she still saved them which makes me think that she can differentiate what is right or wrong or at least understand what a good human being should do. She also saved the little girl from her mentally ill father so it seems like she is capable of helping people other than the Moon brothers. It is her mother who has planted in her mind that she is a “monster” and conditioned her to believe it. In the preview for the next episode, we hear Gang Tae tell Mun Yeong that she did well. I think these words will be one of the pivotal moments in kick-starting her healing process - she is capable of good. So, I agree that when patients are provided access to resources and support, mental health issues may be managed.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 17
  • Love 3

Very insightful post @africandramalover

1 hour ago, africandramalover said:

Did the writer want us to contrast the two sleep scenes? I don't know. I also don't remember the specifics of the circumstances that set off the first sleep paralysis episode, so if someone would be so kind as to make a comparison, I would be happy.

I checked episode 3 which is the last time we saw her have sleep paralysis.  That was the first night she returned to her home after KT rejects her offer go out together after work.  In the car on her drive to the castle she hallucinates images of her mother and almost crashes into a deer.  Later on in the castle whilst she is asleep someone (her mother?)  narrates the story of sleeping beauty whilst making their way to MY's bedroom...then we see MY wake up suffering sleep paralysis with her mother hovering over her.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

ST - '' He is my little brother...he may be a coward, but he is

still my little brother''

I laughed even though that scene was kind of sad...

GT is so lonely...

The fact that ST continues to repeat "he (KT) is a coward" demonstrates just how insightful and self-aware ST is - seems to me that he very likely recognizes KT's "cowardice" when it comes to addressing his needs and desires head on, whether it is living a life he actually wants to live, pursuing MY, etc. We've seen time and time again that ST is actually very observant, especially when it comes to KT. His laser focused goal to buy an RV / camping van for KT further reflects his observant nature towards KT - in this case, KT's fatigue of moving.

I think KT's ability to put on a show / seem happy does not actually fool either MY or ST - only himself.

Edited by yourinnerstar
  • Like 12
  • Insightful 2

10 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

One question I keep wanting to ask but forget - Though MY was not encouraged to have friends why did her parents send her to school? Why not just homeschooling?

I keep wondering if she hasnt been back to the cursed castle in 20 years then when did her mom pass away and when was the father hospitalised. How was she brought up? She obviously did not stay in the small town for much longer than GT as her mom passed away when she was young?

@bebebisous33 i do not know who you were answering to but head nurse met MY when MY was interviewed and asked to give classes by the director. I dont think head nurse is the mum.

The thing about plastic surgery was intriguing. 

Still catching up with the posts but at times i am enjoying the show so much that I just want to go where it wants to take me :)

I hope they continue creating the magic that keeps us entertained :)

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dramafreak said:

I keep wondering if she hasnt been back to the cursed castle in 20 years then when did her mom pass away and when was the father hospitalised. How was she brought up? She obviously did not stay in the small town for much longer than GT as her mom passed away when she was young?

Yes, there is a long gap there that we do not know yet.    We only know that MY left her elementary school from the conversation  she had with JR in the earlier episode.  So something must have happened at that time to her parents.  If both were unavailable to bring her up and she doesn't have any other family then maybe she ended up in an orphanage or something similar (this is just an assumption) ... This leads to other questions that I have to patiently wait for the answers in future episodes.

13 hours ago, princess luxis said:

.  While I was searching, I have found that in AsianWiki under the  additional cast the name of  Do Hee Jae ( Moon Young’s mother) under that was mentioned the names if actress Woo Jung Won. I don’t know how to post the actress picture but I guess they have the same smile. What do you think? 

You're smart.  They put it as additional cast. They have to find someone who looks similar to MY if they're going to use that card as for the reason why her father wanted to harm her.  So we're going to see her later.  Thanks for the info.

• Like 8

I think MY’s mom is dead. Died in the cellar.  My theory is that MY’s mother killed GT’s mom (either by accident or intentionally).  Her father found out about it.  Locked her up in the cellar.  Either he killed her (ala BlueBeard) or she killed herself (ala Madame Butterfly). MY found the body.  That’s why everyone else thinks MY’s mother just disappeared but MY says she’s dead.  Her dad thinks MY is her mom which is why he tried to strangle her.  These pics were interesting.

F044-B325-8-FEC-4-EC8-825-E-3810-C09-DBC

Rose motif on hairbrush.  Like the rose in the glass cloche in opening credits.  Beauty and the Beast? Little Prince?

CFE9502-B-87-D9-4-CD3-9-D0-C-7-D963622-C

Then this shot.  Beautifully framed.  As he embraces her. She grips the edge of his shirt.  As their hands entwine, it forms a heart.

713-F48-EA-B951-4-FDC-BA10-9360-E7392-C8
Her mom has a penchant to dress in vintage dresses with ornate sleeves.  I would imagine in ST’s eyes, she looks for all intensive purposes very much like a butterfly?

• Like 10
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 8

img.gif

img.gif

------------------

Some of the mysteries were unfolded but the much bigger suspense is still yet to be revealed, which continues to draw the curiosity of the viewers.Furthermore, the revelations of the past has given of some valid reasoning on why these people are the way they are. Asides from the storyline, the cinematography and direction is consistent in this drama. It is a great visual delight and I like every bit of it and I am sure that other drama lovers do too. In this intense narrative, I also like  some of the comedic relief that comes from the supporting cast members

• Like 12
  • Love 2

Seo Yeji is SO GOOD in this role. She combined the cold, leering sociopath, the alluring mature woman, and the vulnerable little girl all together into this unforgettable and irresistible character.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

One thing I realize is that at the end of ep.2 after MY's assistant sent her Gang Tae's information & learning he is her "prince" from childhood, she was fully determined to run after GT knowing that their childhood romance was a fail. So now that they met as adults, she strongly believes that they can be together again & nothing can separate them. I just LOVE this childhood trope & how it's being used in the drama. It's uniquely different & refreshing. Makes their romance even more beautiful & intriguing. 

I really can't wait for the next chapter as GT & MY's feelings for each other will grow more deeper. GT will not become a coward that he was back then. He'll stay & fight to be with MY at all cost. He's been resistant with his feelings since childhood & now that they live together, we'll see more sweet moments of them. Can't wait to see them become truly happy. Of course, I'm anticipating the healing process as well. 

What breaks & warms my heart is that all this time, MY has been protecting GT from being killed or hurt by her delusional mother. And yet, her mom still haunts her in her nightmares even after death. Notice how her mom always appears to remind MY about her "prince" & that he'll be killed by her mom if he comes to save her. Knowing MY, she needs to be saved from this hell hole. She won't ever let go of her prince. Her mind says "let him go" (to protect him) but her heart says "hold onto him" (she needs him). I wonder if she's been waiting for him all this time since 20 years ago? 

• Like 15
  • Sad 1