[Drama 2020] My Unfamiliar Family, (아는 건 별로 없지만) 가족입니다

0ly40

24 minutes ago, sal2 said:

Look like we are steam heading into a love triangle between EH, GJ and CH.  But they should not hold on to the ambiguity on who CH likes anymore. yeah seems like this gonna be complicated.... I am surprised writer have used so long time to develop EH and GJ relationship.

TVN has been trolling us a lot ....:joy:..so are they making this into a love triangle or are they not. And what was with EHee's expression. Why did she have a guilty look ...i mean she and VP are free to date right? Lol!

Also I thought it interesting that she and the VP may have known each other from before. Seems like they both had written to each other in the past using pen names ( members of the same forum??)

hmm was not a fan of TH getting so physical with EJoo here. But this is the 1st time he's showing some expression / emotions. I feel bad for both. She did provoke him with mentioning his mum....

Spoiler

Preview

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, triplem said:

TVN has been trolling us a lot ....:joy:..so are they making this into a love triangle or are they not. And what was with EHee's expression. Why did she have a guilty look ...i mean she and VP are free to date right? Lol!

Also I thought it interesting that she and the VP may have known each other from before. Seems like they both had written to each other in the past using pen names ( members of the same forum??)

he he, let see where this is going. I think writer really love to play with our expectation on events, so we can not predict where this is going  :P  I actually begin to like EH and GJ after the rough start. I guess sometime what start out wrong turns right after all. wow they also sement it with them knowing each other before. 

TH and EJ. such a sad part... 

I really want all to be happy after things get settled. But seems the road to happiness gonna be messy. 

47 minutes ago, triplem said:

I don't think it was a troll, it seems that their relationship is evolving, anyway CH and EH are so close that I do not see how he will try something with EJ.

@triplem As always many thanks.

Ok I am at work and processing these clips, my head is spinning.

I had to get out of my head some thoughts.

1) YEAH that her boss was broken up but the ex was still clinging and holding on. But props for EH for wanting to be professional in the last episode. But these clips---they knew of each other and communicated, I recalled she wrote email to THISTLE and it was HIM! She was even like, wait THISTLE supposed to be student studying abroad. LOL how the boss said well it was a part time. Cute how he said they matched on many topics and he fell in love with her. He was curious about her. OMG so when he realized it was her--no wonder he targeted her at the work welcoming party. He already had feelings. He asked about her ex when entering the party (holding her up) and then getting her to leave the ex in the hallway to get her to leave him. (It was such a big party, her being late wouldn't be an issue-but he noticed her and to him she had to get away from the ex) . yeah though the boss is a Mr. Player, he is swoony. Hard to resist, handsome , smart man who loves books and shares many of your interests.

2) Clip where the boss kisses EH was weird showing CH expression seeing them when he arrived with EJ.  We know he has always liked EJ (to me it was clear before). But I have feelings the writer def wants to have CS and EH have something down the road.

3) The parents are great actors. The preview with the mom saying---we were already done (our marriage) a long time ago, I held on only for the children's sake.

4) Intense scene of TH and EJ!  Dang I did not appreciate his choking hold on her neck. EJ def was provoking him saying about his mom and how they are perfect and will not accept any mistakes/imperfections. She even asked what he felt when she was desperately trying to get pregnant. (Gosh the pain and remembering the prior episode thinking back the pieces of the puzzle of his behaviour to her were falling into place) So she ended with I don't have any feelings for you. I have not even started yet.

Even EH realized that when she was drinking with TH and EJ (had a chat separate from parents) why did TH like her? She is not girly like other girls. She admitted she did not like that answer.  

Ok just WOW and enjoying this drama. Back to work it is now NOON and lunch time.

33 minutes ago, marrez1 said:

I don't think it was a troll, it seems that their relationship is evolving, anyway CH and EH are so close that I do not see how he will try something with EJ.

Do you think he still has feelings for EJoo? The drama seems to be trying to reinforce it in the past couple of episodes.

18 minutes ago, Nodame said:

YEAH that her boss was broken up but the ex was still clinging and holding on. But props for EH for wanting to be professional in the last episode. But these clips---they knew of each other and communicated, I recalled she wrote email to THISTLE and it was HIM! She was even like, wait THISTLE supposed to be student studying abroad. LOL how the boss said well it was a part time. Cute how he said they matched on many topics and he fell in love with her. He was curious about her. OMG so when he realized it was her--no wonder he targeted her at the work welcoming party. He already had feelings. He asked about her ex when entering the party (holding her up) and then getting her to leave the ex in the hallway to get her to leave him. (It was such a big party, her being late wouldn't be an issue-but he noticed her and to him she had to get away from the ex) . yeah though the boss is a Mr. Player, he is swoony. Hard to resist, handsome , smart man who loves books and shares many of your interests.

Hello dear ... Think they got the right person to be Mr Player . Shin Dong Wook  is very swoony and have a soft spot for him as I have been following his career comeback since he recovered from his illness. I am  happy that as the episodes go , the drama starts to show us a that our pre-conceived idea about a character has been wrong or skewed , cause we don't get to see the complete picture yet. It makes sense now why the VP was so interested in her from Day 1. 

@sal2 Usually my oppa bias is very strong and would tend to want him ( in this case  CH) to end up with the female lead. But for the 1st time, I am open to any love lines the story may present. Like EH with VP Im and CH with EJoo.

Does anyone have any opinions about the father's state of mind?  Part of me feels bad for him , but at the same time it seems he was rather harsh with mum over the years , and he has so many secrets too.

OST 2

I don’t believe that Mother ever loved Father, and he knew it.  I’m not excusing him having another family elsewhere, but did she ever take interest in him at all?  She was even to the point of wanting to abort their son.  My question is when did he give up on trying to win her love?

@triplem OMG me too! Agree Shin Dong Wook has gone through alot !  I got into him thanks to Soul Mates. He looks amazing in suits and his easy grin. He is the charmer, you want to hate him but you cannot! LOL. He does make Mr. Player look tooooo good!  I agree, the layering and slowly opening each episode the bits and pieces we learn about everyone. I did enjoy (I cannot wait to see the actual episode of course late in the day) what I missed in listening to the Korean (I get the gist most of the time).  Yeah I was wondering, EH let's be honest is no STUNNING beauty at first glance. But she has a girl next door and hard working quality about her. He did note (outwardly we knew initially) he did research about colleagues and read up on everyone. At work, he admitted he admired her work and choices (way before they went to the welcome party). But adding the level they "met" online way before he came to the company--so cute. 

I like the actor who plays CH. I want him to be happy but I agree it is NOT going to be with EJ. She is beautiful but she never had CH in her heart. Plus she is so practical and given all the burdens she has , it will be hard to be with someone so emotional/sentimental but also realistically she is about financial stability--CH job --his company he is barely making ends meet sleeping at his studio/workplace. As for EH, I would love her to have a good relationship with the boss. He is SOOOO Much better than the ex boyfriend. He is not perfect, but he is more clear and straightforward than the ex. 

CH is the hyung that JW never had. The fact he told EJ birth secret and was relieved and nailed that CH remembered and to NOT lie to him for not remembering. LOL. Also he did not want to tell EH and gave the responsibility to CH. CH is too kind. But as we know, EH was avoiding CH. (Is he able to tell EH in this episode?)

Wonder what the deal is with the Barista and TH. :flushed:

The actor who is the DAD. Such a tour de force actor indeed, I agree he has many secrets. This bout of amnesia having his 22 year old self unravel his insecurities, anger, and bad actions over the 30 + years with his wife. The scene with TH coming over for the first time. Throwing a fit about wearing the shirt, not wanting to shave and feeling they were catering to him as he was from a family of DRs. Yeah he accused his wife loving money. But I applaud the mom saying--I  want my daughter to have a good life. (Hey that is a universal desire for ALL parents not just the mom.) The dad with his big chip on the shoulder and throwing to her you don't work at all. Hello, she is working. (UGGGH the chauvinism---house wives DO work. Korean moms have to make all those banchan, dishes and meals----even more stressful than other cultures. Cleaning and taking care the kids (3 and feeding them) while keeping a budget and raise them well is a FULL time job. 

Spoiler

Recently, my dear Korean friend who is here one year for her sabbatical in the USA has been spent in Shelter in Place. She has always relied on her mom for cooking /child care and she works full time as a Professor and commutes 90 mins to drive one way (she sleeps at the dorms as it gets stressful). The bulk of her marriage she has been a weekend couple with her hubby due to work. She doesn't know how to cook or do much housekeeping. Due to Covid19, she has to cook, be creative, and plan all three meals (she cannot just use frozen food and the kids dislike American/Western food). She confessed she never understand Housewives as a job and did not understand. Now she has MAJOR respect and empathy that she NEVER had before.

Ok I cannot wait to watch this tonight but this family totally is amazing.

42 minutes ago, triplem said:

Do you think he still has feelings for EJoo? The drama seems to be trying to reinforce it in the past couple of episodes.

He had feelings for EJ and I think he always put her on a pedestral, and he has respect for her but things started to change when he and EH didn't see each other for years, , but now in the present I think he is starting to be confused about his feelings towards EH, who is starting to grow

29 minutes ago, calledtoteach said:

I don’t believe that Mother ever loved Father, and he knew it.  I’m not excusing him having another family elsewhere, but did she ever take interest in him at all?  She was even to the point of wanting to abort their son.  My question is when did he give up on trying to win her love?

I know that each married couple is different and each has its own story but sleeping with another woman, having another family, it's horrible, what circumstances ?? no matter that he was the only one in love, no matter that he accepted a child who was not his, no matter that he felt bad, he could just divorce, it's the worst man 

Too late @Nodame I have insomnia now from being woken up and wandered here. I like this drama I truly do. However the actors here keeps me coming more than the story.

SDW and the actor playing the father. I really wondered why he picked his role up. But now since the father's character is so complicated no wonder he took the role.

And whether the VP ends up with the girl I don't know. But since I miss SDW I am happy he gets to have a romance. Well. A romance till the writer kills it off.

@Nodame good lord. Your poor friend. In a foreign land and in lockdown.  Please tell her she has my sympathy. Working is actually easier than being a housewife to me. I  took a couple of years off and it nearly killed me trying to be interested in laundry and keeping a clean house. I was ready to cry during the Covid crisis as I was workintg still; but luckily my Korean caterer was able to keep going.  So we have home made meals and I only need to make fresh kimchi and some guk dishes. Our lockdown is not as severe as in the US.

Saying this in relation to the mother who had to look after 3 kids by herself. Since the husband didn't or would have had to drive long distances. She managed to have a daughter study law in Korea University right? The amount of study one has to do  to get anywhere in SK. I have a lackadaisical approach as my children won't be made to do what what's expected. Too much pressure. 

Back to the show... I am almost used to being shocked and surprised by the drama. So nothing shocks me now. Since it hasn't done anything according to plan. And I have been enjoying seeing SDW.

Today rating is 4.127% 

Highest rating so far and the first to surpass 4% mark for new monday time slot for tvn.

Hopefully this drama can reach 5% and stabilize the rating as next week there will be no good casting anymore which maybe can make my unfamiliar family become no 1 in rating for monday tuesday drama

Edit: fun fact(?) Eun joo actress born name is choo eun joo. Interesting.

A few comments:

- The barista, Hyo-Seok. He had a boyfriend who fell in love with TH in their chatting room (called TH his "soul mate") and left him. He got a job at that cafe in order to plot some sort of revenge? But he became friends with Eun-Joo and things got messed up.

- I don't fully understand why TH is so angry with EJ. But one of the reasons they bonded at first is because they both hate their families, and he found it despicable that she was trying to get pregnant. That she would want a family despite hating hers. He said to her, "You hate your family but mine is okay?" Basically he accused her of liking his family because they have money and status, and he found that disgusting about her or something.

- So Eun-Hee has been communicating with someone online (thistle), and they talked about books and stuff for a year. But "thistle" is actually Geon-Joo. He used an e-mail that was briefly used by a former female employee or something? So during their online communication he fell in love with her.

- I don't fully understand what is going on with the parents, but the father always felt inferior to the mother because he grew up really poor and only graduated from middle school, and she was more refined and better educated than he was.

--

Ep.7 preview translation:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/myfamily/9/Board/List

Chan-Hyeok feels distracted watching Eun-Hee jump here and there trying to solve everyone's problems when they aren't even her problems.

And seeing Chan-Hyeok like that, Eun-Hee makes effort to not cross the "friend" line with him...

Jin-Sook becomes lonelier the more she speak of her happiness, and Eun-Joo resents her mom for not being considerate towards her dad who hasn't recovered yet.

Guauh...what an episode. It was a roller coster full of emotions. 

Well ..we finally had the confrotation of EH and her husband. At first I was really angry about the lies and  fir him to just runaway...but after the confrotation scene like she said ...he really is nothing, and is good that she finally knows everything so she can move on from him. At the same time she said she have not started just yet so who knows what would happen. But she would be facing a lot by the scenes of the preview she is going to confront her mother and maybe more words , pain would come out from it, everyone has been keeping their feelings secret for too long so..this is just the begining of all. 

Okay, ep 6 got me out of my silent lurks. EUNHEE AND CHAN HYUK IS MY SHIP. 

I'm so confused by them tbh. The way they know each other so well, its like your typical best friend to lovers type thing, but chan hyuk does seem like he liked Eunjoo, but then again, it could be a further underlying secret.. The show leaves it vague for us to tell if it's love or not.

Eunhee is clearly falling for chan hyuk. Those last lines she narrated, that she didn't want him to see her kissing Mr Im. She clearly likes him more than just a friend, but it's just hard to force yourself to realise it, but she has been realising it through the episode, wanting him to go back to seoul with her even though she cared for her sister. So even when she thought she was falling for Gun Joo - who imo is clearly a richard simmons (no matter how you tried to end it with your gf, clean it up properly dude) - I mean which girl wouldn't fall for such a romantic cheesy story of him messaging her for a year... but i think at the end of the day, we all want that guy who makes us feel safe, and that we can confide in him in everything - Chan Hyuk <3

Okay this show is like amazing for red herrings. Can double as a mystery show because everytimeI think I figured something out, it's wrong HAHA

also, I was split in my opinion regarding the sisters. EH shouldn't have brought CH along and should have KNOWN her sister would be upset. But EJ was spot on about EH prioritising what she feels and thinks above the situation and what others feel. At the same time, EJ has a severe inability to ask others for help and bottles everything up. It's like she already knows that she was the illegitimate child and doesn't want to depend on anyone for anything. Her feeling like her mother was cold to her and wanted to kill them both could not have helped. EJ wanting to escape her family according to TH, I think was absolutely the truth. 

CH I think, liked EJ because he almost idealised her as this perfect vision whereas EH and he had a more honest and comfortable relationships. When the show started, I sided with EH but now I think that there was more to the story. Her sister resenting her for not talking to her all these years made me realise that EJ actually missed EH all this time and was waiting for her to make the first move. 

Now, I'm not sure if CH will end up with EJ or EH but I just hope everyone gets their happy ending

And FINALLY, all the pieces to the puzzle fall in and explains this weird relationship between HS and TH. Them being secret lovers while there were signs couldn't have made total sense because HS doesn't seem malicious or  cruel enough to befriend EJ if he's having an affair with TH. And now we know that TH stole (unintentionally he says) HS's lover, and that horrid person thought TH was his soulmate and ran off to New Zealand with HS's money. TH saying all those things to EJ reads more like he's trying to really push her away and end things for good. His mother calling him sick nonstop must have made his feelings of self disgust and hatred even stronger. I think it was another point of contention between him and HS who must have felt so upset that the person he was seeing threw him over for someone who can't even be honest with himself , let alone comfortable in his sexuality. 

TH was cruel to EJ even before this scene. Letting her suffer through the pain of her treatments to get pregnant when in actual fact, he didn't care that much to have a child. It's like he buried his true feelings and self so far underneath that he was willing to live a hollow life and just float around, existing and doing all the things he's supposed to do. EH was spot on about him being cold. It's like his soul is barren and empty of life. There's this quote from Agatha Christie: He was like a house with all the windows shut and the blinds pulled down. And it feels like that there is someone dead inside the house. That describes TH perfectly

Also LOL at HS saying his boyfriend thought TH was his soulmate. Honey, he wanted TH because he's a rich doctor Please don't fall for it like the rest of us saps

Alright, Ep 6 got me wonders and want to share my thoughts so I look around whether Soompi has this drama thread or not. And yes, here it is! 

Hello everyone~

Since ep 1, I knew I am gonna like this drama. There are some plot twist here and there. I am curious on the father's back story, did he really cheat and the son is from his affair? he has acute depression and want to commit suicide, I think his story is goin to be quite complicated one. 

Well, actually this is what I want to share from ep 6:

1. It seems that EJ and CH had dated back then, but they hid it from EH. So far, EH only knows CH likes EJ so she thinks if EJ needs someone, she prefers it to be her BF, CH whom she knows likes her and knows her well.

But EJ and CH is now in the past as EJ seems okay having a talk with CH and not that upset when she saw CH left behind. So, I think CH likes EH now. 

However, it seems CH is still confused as well. He keeps questioning why ppl around him think he likes EH when he actually liked EJ? First, his girl employee, then JW and then his ex. I think he finally realized he does like EH when EH left him with EJ and he is fine talkinh with EJ now. When CH suggests EJ to sleep at EH house, I think CH tells EJ that rn he likes EH, well we don't get to see yet but let's see for next week. 

2. EH starts to get confused as well. She wants CH to comfort her sister but at the same time she wants him to comeback with her. At the ending, her voice over indicates her swaying heart, when she is kissing with the CEO and the cars approaching and see her sister, she hopes EJ came without CH, but when she sees CH comes out of the car, her heart sinks. 

I think we are going to see a lot of denial and hesitation before they finally get together. When you are best friends for over 10 years, there are a lot of things to consider, aren't there?? 

After episode 6, it is clear to me that this drama is taking the well knowing route of love triangle like any other kdrama. I am not surprised because they were big hints from the start. Even the pictures from the press conference were explicit. :lol:

I like Eun hee and Chan Hyeok as friends and I will like them as a couple as well. It was a surprise that Gun-Joo was the guy she was talking on the internet for a year. Now I am sorry for him because it is clear that he will be the third wheel in this love triangle.

Probably Chan Hyeok had a crush on Eun Joo in the past but he had and still has feelings for his friend. I like how comfortable Eun hee and Chan Hyeok are as friends but I am ready to see a grown up Eun Hee. I like her more when she is with Gun Joo. I don`t know why I felt a little uncomfortable (a little annoyed with her) when she was with Chan Hyeok on the trip. She is too silly in front of him sometimes. Maybe that`s a sign that she likes him more than a friend? I don`t know.  Let see their dynamic in the future now that both have more than friendship feelings for each other. I liked their conversation about Korean society towards gay persons.

I am glad that Chan Hyeok asked Eun hee why he is there with her to see Tae-Hyeong. I totally understand why Eun joo was mad at her. I know that Eun Hee had good intention but she shouldn`t have been there with other people than her sister. She thought that she will take Tae Hyeong with her? Please! She should have told her sister the minute she found out even if she did not know for sure if her brother in law was there. Probably Eun Joo wanted to go alone. It was her decision to make. I would have loved to see that both sisters bonded more if they were going together.

Eun hee as the second daughter, finds herself many times in between. I wonder why Jin Sook did not call Eun Joo directly. Is she avoiding her?

I was not sure what was barista guy`s link to Tae Hyeong, to know so many things about him. So he is gay too and his former partner was the one who betrayed him. I like the new relationship between him and Eun joo. She gave him books, they talk. I think she finds a little comfort when she came to the cafe where he works. It was her escape.

Now Tae Hyeok. In a way I find him pitiful. He, clearly, is depressed. He is like a dead man walking. OK, he married Eun Joo to get away from the family and to make his family happy but he should have told his wife that he doesn`t want children. What he said to her was cruel. If she makes her sick, he should have get the courage and told her the truth. He is a patethic coward/ insensitive bastard. I don`t know how he thought that she should have stayed home and not look for him. If she had to come and yell at him he should take it like a man.  He let the laptop knowing well that she will read everything. He is doing all this for Eun Joo to hate him or he is indeed that cruel?  Eun joo really wanted to be a mother. She endured pain because of the fertility treatment, she blamed herself thinking that she did something that her husband is so distant to her. I hope she will let all behind. He doesn`t worth to share a thought (good or bad). She needs her family now and I hope she will let them be there for her.

Archived