[Drama 2020] Itaewon Class, 이태원 클라쓰

0ly40

I am watching just not commenting. So I have nothing negative to say. Just because some of us are not commenting doesn't mean we don't enjoy it. Just too busy that's all.

Addit- ok watched episode 14. Whoa. What were the complaints about? The show still gripped my head. I like the directing style by the way. And the actors are good ok they are great. PSJ is so good at being subtle. It's like I can see his emotions the writer doesn't need the words.

Gritty ending. Since I wasn't actually expecting YS to be in danger. I was just thinking it will be the standard love difficulty love line.

So what were the complaints about again? * shrugs it off *

• Like 11
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Yiseo is one of the best female characters i have ever seen in k dramas. Most of the time female leads are flowerpots to glorify male leads , or playing ott or playing sacrificial leads. Finally we got a female lead with different vibe. I am loving it and i hope , Dami sweeps all awards!

She really does deserve!  KDM has done a spectacular job acting as Yiseo to the point that she's now on my list of favorite actresses. I'm really looking forward to seeing her more in dramas with other experienced actors. Also, I'm both glad and grateful that her co-star for her first drama was PSJ. If you've seen videos of her before, then you'll know she's a bit shy and reserved, so to watch her loosen up and laugh in the bts because of PSJ was really heartwarming. 

Now back to the recent episode lol the ending  was so good and devastating. Seeing PSR sacrifice himself to save GS, shows a good portrayal of PSR being more of a brother to GS than his brother ever was. It falls into that concept that people don't have to related by blood to be considered brothers. And the scene of him thinking of Yiseo as he's near the brink of death was done so beautifully as memories of her flashed before him. It'll be interesting to see who saves Yiseo now that PSR is so heavily injured and also her reaction when she finds out what happened. Poor guy can't catch a break :(

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

Yiseo is  definition of how many human beings are.. Many humans are selfish, smart , ruthless and she is one of those. Why it is always expected from women to be always good, sacrificial types? Its simple. People still expect women to leave their desires and sacrifice everything for the man. Its plain old misogyny. Yes she isn't perfect and not saying she was right in being abusive or using people to get her way in past, but human beings do that a lot.

I can relate to her character in many ways as i have done such things in my life.. I can't relate to people being good all the time tbh! She was still  a 20 year old . Like people here never got into fist fight or anything? Lol then i will be judged for what i did ( fights ) during my college time my whole life? Then rip i must say!  If we look at people with just particular mindset, we will only see negative traits only. 

You are 100% correct. The writer wrote YS this way and this makes her so relatable to the real people, real women in this case. Love everything that you wrote!!:wub:

I especially love the moment in episode 13 when YS gave SA the lecture regarding how she's expecting SRY to just wait for her all these years while SA does nothing. I wanted to hi-five YS from my computer screen..you go girl!!

3 hours ago, sodarn said:

Please cut the writer some slack:confused:. Like someone said earlier, he's a webtoon writer, not a drama writer, meaning he doesn't have much experience in this particular field: he's a rookie. And for a rookie, he's doing waaay better than some experienced writers. I understand your disappointment in the story (believe me, I share some of it too). But let's support them and hope for the best. We still have 2 more episodes left. :wink:

I didn't want to mention this either, but now all of a sudden, people are complaining about the direction of the story when a couple of episodes ago, probably the same people were complaining that the story was too slow. It's like nothing can make people happy.

Like you said, cut the writer some slack!! For being a rookie writer, this story is a lot better than many of the dramas out there. Yes, looking foward to how it all ends next week.

No, I'm not ready to let go of the DanBam crew and my OTP- YS & SRY:tears:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

We again back on track with 14%!!! Amazing episode deserved this ratings. Finally decreasing trend ended and increase again. I hope it ends with on par with reply and goblin crossing 18% for finale!

Nationwide

Top 10 household viewing rates
(Analysis standard: National, paid platform subscription household, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One TV CHOSUN Tomorrow, Mr. Trot announced the final result. 28.672
2 JTBC Geumto Drama (Itaewon Class)

Seoul

Top 10 household viewing rates

(Analysis standard: metropolitan area, households with paid platform, unit:%)
ranking channel program rating
One TV CHOSUN Tomorrow, Mr. Trot announced the final result. 26.049
2 JTBC Geumto Drama (Itaewon Class) 15.568

With this our 14 episodes combined rating reaches 158.102%

Average is 11.293% already! One of the only

Six cable dramas to average over 11% for whole season!  And only second jtbc drama to do so. Happy for whole team! 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 3

@serenilmauve

Yes, i just want to give award to CSK who read it out loud)) I mean the event concept. Those all questions were just on point with the moment he saw the drawing:)

Webtoon spoiler

Spoiler

Idk, the plot has changed quite a lot. In webtoon, they kidnapped GS first. SR tried to save him but got stabbed. Then after that, they kidnapped YS. While in drama, they kidnapped YS first :rolleyes:

Probably GS will call ambulance. Then SR wake up from his coma and save YS with still being in serious injured like in webtoon. But if that's the case, there won't be YS holding SR hand moment in coma then. But, i'm pretty sure they'll still include that part somehow :rolleyes:

Wow good thing is the ratings go up again *clap clap clap*

@Deepakmahajan Btw, did Mr. Trot final result episode air in the same time slot with IC? 

• Like 8

@Anjalifairyi have really no idea. All i know it can't be compared with dramas as it is massive variety or reality show and it has whole country by its side lol. So it ended? Well good because if they shared same slot, next week will be free run i hope!

Edit - i see on thursday they werent able to give result bcoz of huge voting so they gave today. Its time slot was shown to be 7 pm on google whereas itaewon class time slot is around 10:50 pm in korea. So no competition i guess

• Thanks 1

I just want an opinion since I've rewatched it a few times. When SRY was beating at the steering while enroute to the hospital; what was he feeling? Was he beating himself up for being so oblivious until now?

Or was he feeling regret for making YS think that her value was only because she made herself needed? That she has no value to him otherwise. That he allows her to say or tolerates her love confessions because he has to? 

Wow. I wonder since he is actually quite tender hearted towards those he loves whether he feels bad towards her. That's a pretty low feeling to be in an unreciprocated love.

No. Don't look at the subs. See her tone. The subs don't really convey her feelings right? Even when he was talking to GS outside the hospital when he was talking about his feelings? The subs were just bleh.

Good episode by the way whatever anyone else might say about episode 14. All those unspoken feelings from everyone.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

5 hours ago, softestfairy said:

GS confirming (again) that his only motive for joining Jangga was because of YS is......yeah...no.

That's just poor writing. I would've felt more sympathetic if his reason was to gain his father's love/approval or something. That would've made sense. I'm ready for this to wrap up lol. It's not bad but compared to earlier episodes it feels like the writer is having trouble tying everything together.

Anyone who's read the webtoon, how is this supposed to end? I'm curious. 

Dont you think wanting to get his father approval would have make even less sense since his father never aknowledged him. He left the family home and wanted nothing to do with his family anymore. We still can see that he doesnt really care about his father by the way he is dealing with his terminal disease. It does make sense that he is trying to impress the girl he never impressed before by trying to be a boss, even though it is stupid, and she did make it clear that she would not turn to him no matter what.

As we could see, JGS did go back to his family business and turned cold to the Danbam family, especially PSRY, but still care for them and cant really change that, as we see him calling his Ro yi hyung in despair, crying after he saved his life. So in the end, they still will have a bond, all of them including Soo ah, just like in the webtoon

• Like 6

@Deepakmahajan ep.air on Tuesday, but some kind of results (probably from voting? I’m not sure, don’t watch the show lol) were announced yesterday. 

Spoiler

962-AFE20-5-F58-4459-97-E1-5-AE76-C3-E8-

@Anjalifairy I don’t think they will let Gun Soo call for help. 
Gun Won, btw, didn’t call for help when he killed PSR’s father. I’m curious to see his actions now. 

Spoiler

And why they involved mafia-boss. He looked quite found of Sae Roy in the past. I hope it will be the case this time too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

I feel Mr. Jang and OSA has developed a fatherly child relation in a way that they respect each other. He provided her backup and she proved herself to him and stayed loyal which also showed as time passes, our feelings change for a person if we spend time with them and develop understanding. In the end, they cared for each other in a way, not directly but with their acts. She cried to him when she found out he has few months left and he hated that tears from her side because he didn't want her to feel bad.  Such complex relations!

I felt the same. And i actually liked their complex dialogue. They were supposed to hate each other but with all the years they spent together they developed a bond. Soo ah said the chairman was right, she resented him and feared him, but she was still sad. Him, said that he controls people like her to his advantage and despise them but you could see he doesnt despise her. When he asked her why she was crying she said that she didnt know why herself and when she asked him why he was saying she was being tamed and thats why she reacted that way, that he despise people like her, he said that he didnt know either.

That was just very touching, even tho these 2 characters are "villain"

• Like 5

I've been really enjoying the show. The cinematography is lovely and so is the acting.

I feel as if the show's heart is in the right place, or more accurately its social conscience align with mine.  There were a few moments that I found more earnest than artful and I couldn't watch. [Tony's grandmother's storyline, which I'm sure was very satisfying and heartfelt to others.]

I've been worried the hard working, dedicated self-directed woman would not be rewarded in her loveline because k-drama historically have skewed conservative. I'm overjoyed that i'm wrong and Yi-Seo will gets her guy.

I also didn't expect Soo-ah to be so brutally eviscerated by the series.  I felt so bad for the character, even though I had no respect for her. Also the series has not given the chairman Jang Dae-Hee any softness.  Everytime there is an opportunity for him to show sentimentality or heart, he passes on the opportunity and kicks someone in the teeth.

As much as i love the direction of the series, I am disappointed by the justification the series suggests for SaeRoyi for not acting on YiSeo's attraction to him.  I find that idea that SaeRoYi didn't act because he knew Geun-Soo liked YiSeo just jaw dropping.

That is the most backward patriarchal bs justification for a show that is showing a progressive perspective.  SaeRoYi overlooked YiSeos' clearly stated preference for being in a relationship with him.  He thereby leaves space for Guen-Soo, who YiSeo  has never show any romantic interest in.  It only work if SaeRoYi only just realized he loves YiSeo, but if he had  any idea previously, i'm just disappointed that the series decided to make YiSeo's choice to not be a part of SaeRoYi's calculations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@hushhh we just spend like whole 2 episodes with PSR only releasing what he actually felt all those years. Feeling something and releasing what that feeling is actually two different things. He had previously a lot of excuses, when he couldn’t understand himself and what exactly he’s feeling for JYS, but once he had a full gasp of what’s going on in his heart he totally dismissed all his previous “concerns”. That’s why he sat down was Gun Soo and said he is betraying him, but for once he is not sorry for doing so. 

• Like 12
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh ... I'm teared up. It's the moment SR realized that someone who always be with him all around is really important when he's about to lose her. And the moment he finally admits his feelings for her. It's so hearbreaking to watch all those memories of YS plays in his head. 

This is it writer! You stale the story for too long. I have to suffer through 14 episodes to finally be relieved because of today's episode. Lol

I'm so happy watching the episode. SR's head is full of YS's thoughts the whole time. It's my most fave scenes. :wub:

Now the two grand finale episodes are awaiting for next week and they intentionally separate the preview, :(

Is there any preview yet??

• Like 11

4 hours ago, AsveriaPSJ said:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I just love this show. Every peace of it precious. I guess if you don’t care enough for DanBam members, Gunsoo and Jangga family, Park Saeroy and his ultimate journey you would try to skip some parts, but for me personally Itaewon Class’ true charms comes from it’s leading man, rather than leading ladies (and I do like them on my own way very much, let me be clear). That’s why I enjoy every step that he takes and he had a lot of them in episode 11-14. It’s been learning, trying to find himself and his footing storytelling episodes. 
Also, Dami gets a lot of deserving credits, but let me praise here my favorite Park Seojoon for once. I’ve been holding my love for his acting this whole time, to not distract anyone from enjoying the show, characters and other actors, but I think he deserves recognition for being able to portray character like Park Saeroy so effortlessly believable. This whole episode was a feast. Including that incredible ending, omg. I cried because of how sudden and unfair it was. And his inner monologue. They always bring it in the lowest emotional points in Park Saeroy’s life...

i totally agreed with you dear.. i love this show very much

just 2 episodes left.. i'm not ready to let it go just yet.. ottoke

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Deepakmahajan said:

I am done with OSA's entitlement. All these years you were never there for him in his crucial moments, now you have a home and a stable life, you are indirectly ask PSR to settle down with you and confess his feelings to you? What the hell? Did she ever care about his emotions at all? Now he is rich, you want to settle down? But what contribution you brought from your side? I am done with her. 

:thumbsup:I could not have said it better!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kimsungrin said:

I felt the same. And i actually liked their complex dialogue. They were supposed to hate each other but with all the years they spent together they developed a bond. Soo ah said the chairman was right, she resented him and feared him, but she was still sad. Him, said that he controls people like her to his advantage and despise them but you could see he doesnt despise her. When he asked her why she was crying she said that she didnt know why herself and when she asked him why he was saying she was being tamed and thats why she reacted that way, that he despise people like her, he said that he didnt know either.

That was just very touching, even tho these 2 characters are "villain"

I also loved this scene, too. And I find your take on this scene quite interesting. 

I thought Soo Ah was crying because she was feeling empty and she decided to release her pent up feelings. She has always been honest about work related decisions, but on a personal level she never conveyed her honest feelings to her boss, Mr. Jang. The boss saw through her and that is why she ended up crying at the truth. As he's dying, he chooses to be honest in his words and asks her, "Do you want me to feel that way even at my last breath?" 

Soo Ah's character is quite interesting. To me, she seems likes she's walking dead. Earlier in the episode, she meets up with Park Sae Ro Yi and states that she feels empty. She dreamt of having her own car and house. She has what she has dreamt of yet she feels empty. She needs validation, attaches her self-worth to Sae Ro Yi and asks him if he still likes her. She may look independent, but she is dependent of others for her emotions and thoughts. This is probably why she follows Mr. Jang's work culture, taming people to his taste (visual scene- think of the first scene when Mr. Jang brings Geun Soo to the place where caged chickens are). 

Mr. Jang cultivates fear and pressures people. His thinking clearly sets him apart from SRY. SRY has a clear set of beliefs. He is honest and true to his words which do not cut through people's hearts. Look at Geun Soo! Leaving prison and threatening SRY. Some things never change, but what this little scene and the premise of this drama pinpoints is that we have a choice. What do you choose to believe? 

• Like 2

I thought it showed PSR being obvious. I was on episode12 yesterday and only got to ep 14 this morning. The only reason why I started commenting now is that I have been busy with real life. And only had time to even think about IC now.

PSR's mind was clearly operating on automatic mode that he likes SA. You could see the dawning realization that he felt something emotionally when he saw YS reaction at the date with SA. Is there something wrong with being clueless? That's the standard for Kdramas.

Here he was working daily with her. And not taking notes or discounting her probable daily confessions. As a probable routine. As we have seen on other Kdramas. He didn't seem to have analyzed their interactions from her perspective until he overheard them talking in the hospital. It was probably a 1- 2 hit. The date. The faint. Eavesdropping. Then the questions. Then her in danger. So.... * shrugs * standard Kdrama fare. Add in a little bit of life threatening danger. A bit of fast switching car lane scenes.

Which of the above has deviated from a lot of dramas? SA prioritized her needs above PSR's wants for 15 years. Pity this is the drama where she is not the female lead. If those two were let's say co- habitating or eating daily. Or doing grocery shopping or holidaying together then yeah maybe she should felt more entitled. But occasional drinks out does not constitute a relationship where you feel overwhelming confidence in his devotion. That's just nuts.

Where else if PSR was in a long term relationship- without formalization ie defacto or engagement-  and he is in endless hours with a female who has his back, his goals and looks after him then SA can feel surprised or shattered. And PSR was in close contwct with YS for years. Whether subconsciously platonic or oppa- dongsaeng it is different if he was in a relationship with SA but does not promise her forever. SA was not in a relationship with him. She accepted his confessions, grew complacent and still prioritized herself.  I am not unsympathetic; on the other hand don't expect me to say she should feel entitled. 15 years is a long time to feel or meet for dinner and drinks. Love is not all altruistic. There wasn't any all physical attraction shown. If she can resist him for 15 years then her feelings are not strong enough.

And that my drama friends is all I will say. I cannot devote that much time on IC. Since apparently my time appears to be spent more on reading about the coronovirus. Pity I cannot comment online about it here where I am anonymous. Anyway, I am fine with Itaewon class.

Good writing. Consistent characters. I like the director by the way and the lighting. I am currently on another drama where the pace is so s... l... o... w...  Where every. Word. Is. Important. And. Needs. It's. Own. Sentence.

So yeah Itaewon Class is fine by me thanks.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1