[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

Has anyone unlocked or come up with a theory on the strawberry, orange and toasted rice? I think it might refer to a sequence of events where secrets are revealed. Strawberry was the fruit that Jeongwon bought for his friends when he told them about him dating Gyeoul. So what about orange and toasted rice? 

This definitely feels like an important foreshadowing, especially as the writer tries to emphasize the flavors in that scene by having the girl recite them twice (once in the elevator, and then again in front of Jeongwon). Here's my theory:

The scene with the little girl feels loaded with meanings. Even more interesting is when we look at how the girl behaves, telling her mother to stop revealing details to JW. Her scene starts in the elevator where she is asked how the candy is. Instead of answering directly, she starts to enumerate the different flavors she still has at home: strawberry, orange and toasted rice. Cuts to the scene in JW consultation room where the girl once again recites the flavors, strawberry, orange and ... (forgets the 3rd one). JW starts asking the mother about the condition of the girl the past weeks, and when she proceeds to answer, 2 times the girl stops her mother, telling her not to tell JW and that she's getting scared.

I think the flavors of her candies represent secrets/revelations in relation to Jeungwon. To recall, JW in confessing to his friends that he has started dating Gyeoul bought them strawberries in Episode 2.

Strawberry = revealing secret that she is now dating Gyeoul. (happened early in the season)

Orange = (my tentative guess is revealing their relationship in the hospital, with Orange being a particular food that we bring as gift to sick people --- might happen midway)

Toasted Rice = (marriage proposal, pregnancy or another intimate secret as rice is commonly associated with fertility and abundance - towards the end)

I could be wrong with the above tentative guesses on what secrets/revelations they are though. It is also possible that some secrets are not romance-related. We'll have to wait for that.

Now, another thing interesting about the scene is how, when telling Jeongwon the flavors, the girl forgets the third one which is toasted rice. In between, he gets a stick and draws a girl on it for the girl to play with. It's interesting how the camera really lingers on the stick. There is a focus there. Some people say it looks like a foreshadowing for pregnancy test, 2 figures signifying a positive result. We'll really have to wait for that, but I look forward to what this stick really tries to foreshadow. Honestly trying to block myself from making any bold assumptions...kekeke.

As for the toasted rice, I feel that it represents something intimate between Jeongwon and Gyeoul. It's a secret/revelation between the two of them. I say this because unlike the other two flavors that the girl announces loudly, she instead chooses to whisper toasted rice to Jeongwon.

Now if I'm going to take this further in support of premarital pregnancy theories, maybe the stick being shown first before the girl remembers and whispers toasted rice to jeongwon might be interpreted as foreshadowing for it if we accept the assumptions that stick represents the pregnancy test and toasted rice represents fertility and marriage. Rice is further made significant by the scene between JW and Rosa, where Rosa feeds JW with a big scoop of rice.

Then they proceed to saying goodbye to one another. I don't know if this is part of the sequence that should be read...hahaha...so I'll stop there.

HAL YU'S CANDIES = SECRETS AND REVELATIONS IN JEONGWON'S STORY ARC.

Edited by wintergardencrew
  • Like 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Insightful 3

7 hours ago, wintergardencrew said:

Strawberry = revealing secret that she is now dating Gyeoul. (happened early in the season)

Orange = (my tentative guess is revealing their relationship in the hospital, with Orange being a particular food that we bring as gift to sick people --- might happen midway)

Toasted Rice = (marriage proposal, pregnancy or another intimate secret as rice is commonly associated with fertility and abundance - towards the end)

I remember someone on twitter also mention something like this, and about how Ba-da (the little patient in eps.4) wear hairpin that look like a bridal wreath, similar to the flowers on the background where JWon and Gyeoul kissed.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, shawolynn said:

I remember someone on twitter also mention something like this, and about how Ba-da (the little patient in eps.4) wear hairpin that look like a bridal wreath, similar to the flowers on the background where JWon and Gyeoul kissed.

Ooohhh, there really could be significance there too. Yeon-u's mom gifted Gyeoul with hairpins, right? I think 3 hairpins? Will have to check again. Maybe it is in fact a story marker, that when hairpin is involved in the scene, we also ought to think of the significance to gyeoul.

The scenes are always full of meanings. There's a lot to be read as each scene really seems to hold significance. 

EDIT:
I watched the episode with Yeon-u mother again. There were 4 hairpins.

Edited by wintergardencrew

19 hours ago, wintergardencrew said:

HAL YU'S CANDIES = SECRETS AND REVELATIONS IN JEONGWON'S STORY ARC.

I wonder if the ORANGE alludes to the ER bed curtains. 

Shin Hyun Been And Ahn Eun Jin Encounter Difficulties In “Hospital Playlist 2”

e06f73f50cf047a9b890d5d51b3f3169.jpeg?s=

Jul 15, 2021
by D. Kim

New stills of Shin Hyun Been and Ahn Eun Jin have been released for “Hospital Playlist 2”!

The “Hospital Playlist” series is about five doctors who are best friends and tells the everyday stories of a hospital. In the drama, Shin Eun Been stars as surgical resident Jang Gyeo Ul, while Ahn Eun Jin plays OB/GYN resident Chu Min Ha.

In the new stills, Jang Gyeo Ul appears worn out as she sits on a patient bed with a serious facial expression. Having been full of happiness recently due to her relationship with Ahn Jung Won (Yoo Yeon Seok), the images draw curiosity about why she suddenly appears so down.

shin-hyun-been-1.jpeg

Other images show Chu Min Ha also appearing far from cheerful, completely contrasting from her usual energetic self.

ahn-eun-jin.jpeg

The upcoming episode is set to reveal what has caused the change in mood for the two friends.

• Like 2

Hospital Playlist 2: Episode 4

by lovepark

hospitalplaylist2-04-00125.jpg

Things are looking stressful for our cardiothoracic surgeon as he faces new setbacks in both his professional and personal life. Despite the people around him trying to help, he hides his pain and keeps to himself. As life at the hospital continues as normal, every day brings another opportunity to learn and grow for the people of Yulje Medical Center.

EPISODE 4 RECAP

After learning about Se-kyung, Joon-wan drinks alone in the living room and waits for an update from Ik-soon. Jung-won comes out to use the bathroom and finds his friend still up. Though groggy, he offers to keep him company, but Joon-wan turns him down.

It’s nearly two in the morning when Ik-soon finally returns his call, and she claims to be fine, downplaying her injuries. She plans to continue the trip tomorrow, but Joon-wan advises her to go home and rest. She apologizes for keeping him up all night, and Joon-wan tells her not to be sick before hanging up.

hospitalplaylist2-04-00024.jpg

Jung-won hops over to Gyu-wool’s station, asking if she wants to see the ocean. The nurse replies instead since that is their patient’s name (aka, Ba-da), and the three of them head out to check on her.

Joon-wan enters Jae-hak’s operating room, and his chief resident tells him not to worry. With a sigh, Joon-wan orders the others to make things easier for him than themselves, which means completing the surgery quickly. Jae-hak jokes around, pledging to do his best, and Joon-wan scolds him again.

Before Jung-won sees his patient, the nurse informs him about the guardian’s worries, and he says that he understands. The nurse asks if he is secretly a father, and he tells her that he has lots of kids because he considers all his patients as his own. The nurse calls him “holy, holy” and Gyu-wool agrees.

Song-hwa praises Seon-bin’s draft of her thesis, but her resident wants her unfiltered criticisms. After thinking it over, Song-hwa suggests having coffee then, and makes some for both of them.

Jung-won goes over the pre-surgery instructions with the guardians and answers all of their questions in detail. The mother asks about the scarring, so he uses his finger to show them the size. Ba-da mistakes it for a pinky swear, so Jung-won plays along, promising to heal her.

During the OB/GYN meeting, Seok-hyung turns to Min-ha and tells her to ask her question. She wonders if he can read her mind, and everyone giggles since she wrote down her thoughts in her notebook for all to see.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/07/hospital-playlist-2-episode-4/

HI, can I ask a question? I am not sure if I missed anything about Seok Min. Did he give up being a neurosurgeon or something? I am confused as he was still assisting in Song Hwa's surgery earlier. TIA

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mooon17 said:

HI, can I ask a question? I am not sure if I missed anything about Seok Min. Did he give up being a neurosurgeon or something? I am confused as he was still assisting in Song Hwa's surgery earlier. TIA

Hi there, I think it's just he is reviewing for board exams. He isn't quitting. He simply finished his residency and preparing to specialize.

• Blob 1

11 minutes ago, wintergardencrew said:

Hi there, I think it's just he is reviewing for board exams. He isn't quitting. He simply finished his residency and preparing to specialize.

Thank you so much. I was so puzzled and thot I missed out something. 

I live for every Thursday night ... cant wait!

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

I must have a very shallow mind. I can't work out the deeper implications of SK speaking or making useless conversations with Min- ha. Much less the confession scene and his reaction to her. I mean what am I supposed to think him reminding her she has 4 more attempts. Is he going to say yes? Or he already said it will be a no. But he won't be uncomfortable. What does it mean? Is he supposed to be uncomfortable?

See? I don't even understand what I saw.

And Eun-ji's eomoni keeps making me cry. They have to stop with a dead child or baby every week. Can't someone just have brain surgery or abdominal surgery without all the children dying please?

• Sad 1
  • Blob 1

Was it ever mentioned that Jeong Won's older brother was named Peter back in Season 1? I was rolling in laughter over Jeong Su calling him old for his age... and jokingly implying he was Chairman Ahn's lovechild.

So basically Jun Wan hasn't seen Ik Sun for over a year now? Oh wow, I can just imagine all the feels once they see each other again. 

re: Min Ha asking Seok Hyung out - since she still has 4 attempts, my guess is that in one of those instances Seok Hyung will just be caught off-guard and unknowingly say yes.

I finally understand his hesitation though to start a new relationship. Shin Hye was too timid - never asserted herself - and it snowballed into communication becoming a problem in their marriage back then.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, wintergardencrew said:

He is changing hospital and rethinking about change specialization. Not going to fellow for deeper studies in Neuro, I think. From what I gather

• Thanks 2
  • Blob 1

I don't know but I feel sad and nervous after watching episode 5. Huhu...

STRAWBERRY, ORANGE and TOASTED RICE

So this must be the ORANGE = a secret related to domestic violence, could it be part of Jang Gyeo-ul's back story and one issue that is going to reappear later on? I feel so sad already.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I think this episode gives hope to both IkSong and GomGom.

Jeongwon gifting the DAISY to Songhwa, I think what it implies is that what once seemed hopelessly withered could bloom and be alive again, just like the IkSong romance.

They are really doing parallels with the 1st Season, it makes me think that Season 2 will really end with a wedding. With a time jump and seeing the increasing intensity of make out sessions, it has become more plausible and logical. Would it be the couple everyone expects to marry though or would it be another?

I feel nervous for Ik-jun and Jun-wan. There's no way a big fight won't ensue. That's just too big a wound. And with the diagnosis on Ik-sun, does it mean she's now terminally ill?

More on the interns and residents next week, and it looks like Jeongwon will be conducting a pediatric training to many students...yey, he'll be inspiring more doctors to specialize in pediatric surgery.

4 minutes ago, JungRok said:

He is changing hospital and rethinking about change specialization. Not going to fellow for deeper studies in Neuro, I think. From what I gather

I see, so I could have missed it too. Thank you for clarifying. I will have to go back to that again.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, scribbledjunkie said:

Was it ever mentioned that Jeong Won's older brother was named Peter back in Season 1? I was rolling in laughter over Jeong Su calling him old for his age... and jokingly implying he was Chairman Ahn's lovechild.

So basically Jun Wan hasn't seen Ik Sun for over a year now? Oh wow, I can just imagine all the feels once they see each other again. 

re: Min Ha asking Seok Hyung out - since she still has 4 attempts, my guess is that in one of those instances Seok Hyung will just be caught off-guard and unknowingly say yes.

I finally understand his hesitation though to start a new relationship. Shin Hye was too timid - never asserted herself - and it snowballed into communication becoming a problem in their marriage back then.

I think this is the new semester. It starts around March/April. Since we are now in Feb. 

Iksun is postponing her studies and end up sign up for military in Changwon. I think she stopped her study. So for 1 year she will stay in Changwon. 

For now its 1 month have passed. 

Okay new update, its really 1 year.

I just saw the calendar in SHwa room. Its March 2021. The minute is 1:34:55. 

17 minutes ago, wintergardencrew said:

More on the interns and residents next week, and it looks like Jeongwon will be conducting a pediatric training to many students...yey, he'll be inspiring more doctors to specialize in pediatric surgery.

Or maybe we will see Jealous Gyeoul. 

Will we see a lot of female interns/residents coming up to him and ask for "Prof Ahn, please buy us dinner"

Happen to notice all the interns are female????!?!??!!*!,?!*!*!¥!,!£!*

• Shocked 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

8 hours ago, JungRok said:

Or maybe we will see Jealous Gyeoul. 

Will we see a lot of female interns/residents coming up to him and ask for "Prof Ahn, please buy us dinner"

Happen to notice all the interns are female????!?!??!!*!,?!*!*!¥!,!£!*

You're right! Hahahahhahahahaha...So now, Gyeoul is no longer the lone daughter in the GS department. I bet the interns have flocked in GS because word is fast that there is a particularly handsome and gentle pediatric doctor there. Lol. But also, it will be harder for them to keep the relationship secret.

Also, would this mean that Gyeoul will be finishing her residency and leaving the hospital soon?

With all the parallels, I'm expecting a large bouquet of flowers and a proposal in Episode 8.

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote tweets! Thanks!
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

I can't work out the deeper implications of SK speaking or making useless conversations with Min- ha. Much less the confession scene and his reaction to her. I mean what am I supposed to think him reminding her she has 4 more attempts. Is he going to say yes? Or he already said it will be a no. But he won't be uncomfortable. What does it mean? Is he supposed to be uncomfortable?

From what I have inferred from their scenes, I believe Seokhyeong is now warming up to Minha and maybe the possibility of a relationship. I believe Minha's efforts are paying off as Seokhyeong is now very comfortable with her presence. This is evident in the scene where Minha brought him coffee and Seokhyeong responded as if its a natural occurrence between them; also with him immediately following Songhwa's advice and trying to make useless conversations when Min-ha called.

Seokhyeong rejecting Minha's first invite was a conscious decision as he is still against to the idea; but him telling her that she has four more chances left is him subconsciously keeping the 'Yes' option open. This also tells me that he is actually really fond of their dynamic right now. So I guess, Min-ha has a good chance of success so far.

-----

Some other thoughts:

Iksong: Such a delight to watch! They have very funny scenes: I love how Ikjun just does crazy while Songhwa is loving it so much. I did notice the evident parallelism between Iksong and JongRosa scenes done throughout the show. I do wonder if this is, in fact, a foreshadowing to the future of Iksong? That they might actually stay the best of friends?

WG: I'm so happy for the Wintergarden couple, they deserve to fully enjoy their relationship after a season of repressed feelings. While I do worry about Gyoeul's hesitancy to open up about her family's situation (which I believe might be domestic abuse) to Jeongwon, maybe they are still too early into the relationship to open up about this? 

Bidulgi: I do love angst but their scenes still break my heart. I am still doubtful of Iksun's given reason for breaking up with Junwan (especially, after seeing her cry that much in the car). But I also don't understand why she would breakup with him if the real reason is her illness. I adore both of these characters and hoping they'll have a good ending whether together or apart.

99z: As always, I'm envious of their very strong and solid relationship. I love how they know when to comfort each other and when to give space.

Uju-Ikjun: Always looking forward to their scenes! I was low-key hoping they'll have a scene together when Uju was constantly mentioned, and they did!

I got a bit overwhelmed with the pacing of the episodes of Season 2 but Shin PD did say it will be fast-paced. Very much looking forward to the next episode. Always love how Hosplay highlights other staff in the hospital!

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Jo Jung Suk, Jung Kyung Ho, Yoo Yeon Seok, And More Are Blushing Besties In “Hospital Playlist 2”

dfa5fe9398c740ca86eb50bbadfdfeea.jpeg?s=

Jul 15, 2021
by L. Kim

“Hospital Playlist 2” shared new stills ahead of its upcoming episode!

The tvN drama stars Jo Jung SukJung Kyung HoYoo Yeon SeokJeon Mi Do, and Kim Dae Myung as five doctors who first met in medical school and have been friends ever since.

The newly released stills share a glimpse of an interesting moment between the five close friends. All of them are blushing for some reason, and there are different expressions on their faces. First off, Ahn Jung Won (Yoo Yeon Seok) is cupping his chin with a serious expression as if he is in a dilemma, and Kim Joon Wan (Jung Kyung Ho) is listening to him with keen ears. On the other hand, Chae Song Hwa (Jeon Mi Do) is staring at someone with bright eyes, and the soft blush on her cheeks makes viewers smile. Lee Ik Joon (Jo Jung Suk) looks surprised, and Yang Seok Hyung (Kim Dae Myung) seems flustered and hesitant.

Spoiler

yoo-yeon-seok.jpg

jung-kyung-ho.jpg

jo-jung-suk1.jpg

jeon-mi-do.jpg

kim-dae-myung.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1479208wpp/jo-jung-suk-jung-kyung-ho-yoo-yeon-seok-and-more-are-blushing-besties-in-hospital-playlist-2

• Like 1

About Seok Hyung Min Ha: 

I think SongHwa told Seok Hyung to speak anything with people he is close because that is a starting point for him to be expressive. One of the main reasons why his marriage did not work is that though he tried to work things out they were always methods that drove his wife away rather than closer- sending her to her parents house or sending her to study abroad. He not only avoided the situation he drew into his shell and refused to communicate. She wasn’t aware that he cared about her. She wouldn’t have been driven to so much paranoia/the stealing episode if she had gotten professional help and did not feel lonely but instead felt cared for. So the exercise to speak nonsense is a way of him coming out of his shell. I think IkJun also called him a tortoise today right?

about him giving MinHa 4 more chances, I think it’s his way of giving her time to accept a No. but having said that he decided to use the speak nonsense or anything to people close to you on Min Ha which means he is closer to her than he realises. Even if he tells her no the 4 times more he might ask her out himself when he wakes up from his hibernation like a bear, there’s no rule for that, correct? 

we still have no clue about MinHas cake and Song Hwas coffee. 

about IkSun Junwan:

I think she’s not terminally ill but is possibly looking at a liver transplant if her health doesn’t significantly improve. I do think they will get back together. But I don’t know when will JunWan see her :( 

despite all the parallels between Rosa and the hospital director and IKSong. I think the parallels are because they are soulmates. And soulmates can be romantic or not. Rosa and the director may not be a couple but IkSong can be, but both the pairings are soulmates for sure. 

It obviously looks like Gyeoul’s backstory will be shown in the coming episodes and it’s amazing that Jeong Won was intuitive that she wanted to say something but did not and he did not force her either seeing that she needs time. but if any exposure to domestic violence is true I’m so glad she found Jeong Won. God answered her prayers by sending him to her. She truly is his special child ♥️

although the moms stories so far did not make me cry the scene today sending the letter and donation card to the donors parents truly made me cry. Oh my god can’t even imagine. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

- Really loved the scene where the Lee siblings had a good time together. IJ realized that he should take a good care of IS and he really did *sob*

- Summer/Autumn/Winter by Vivaldi’s Four seasons let us know it’s time jump but it seems Spring is a piece or a season that IJ wants to eat with someone else.

- SW birth month is April? Thats why Jw gave her daisy?? coz i think it is the April birth flower.  

• Like 3
  • Blob 2