[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

S2E5 Review:

Woah its a Makhajang territory with SK's mom. She was wronged but I do think she may have lost her judgement to see right or wrong along the way. I don't know if SK's ex wife and family were really gold diggers or she thought so which led to SK's wife going inside her own shell and ultimately leading to steal her diamond ring. Mrs Rosa's reaction to SK's mom claims were priceless Lol.

For the set of mental parents that SK was born from he is very patient and quiet I feel. Even his flashbacks dont show him that overactive in imagination like his parents were. He is not very expressive then he married a Girl who was quiet who still likes him but him being too quiet is not a good communication CP in any which way. I agree with Dr Song he worried he did things but he did not rectify them, his idea was to keep adding butter , sugar and milk to a gravy which tasted burnt , instead of attempting to make a Fresh gravy which tastes better. Even if he accepted the idea of rekindling with his Ex wife it would not work unless she has become outspoken and bolder.

Min Ah on the other hand puts in efforts, questions and tries and figures out why 2+2 cannot be 22 but has to be a 4, instead of following SOPs, she who was once not able to understand why SK was a boring daft now has got the capability to give her extended chances to know him better.I don't know if it will flourish into something more, but if it does SK will stand up for Min Ah in front of his Mom , I am 80% confident Lol.

Dr Song wanted to sing and the Men refused , only allowed to sing every Biennial birthday...lmao. The Karakoke session, Jun Wan reaction when Dr Song sings is :rip:, when Ik Jun sings in full fleged mode Jun wan goes :fear:   , his reactions in the entire session was hilarious.

Ik Sun came back and we had a slight Soul mate pull moment between her and Jun wan but it was missed, and then we skipped an entire year...She is ill, will JunSun get back together? Will they have tragic ending possibly Yes. For a show that makes kids suffer a heck lot more than Adults , the tragic love-story is possible. The Doctor who repairs the heart is himself the one who lives with the BROKEN Heart.

Gyeol's reaction to the domestic abusive Patient and Her Mom and Dad foreshadows some issue I feel, but its too early to comment there.

Dr Song I have always felt since S1 doesn't really put much into the story , its just she is there as a character to cheer up and bind the friends when needed. IkSong being the endgame or not does not bother me much in all honesty.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

about Min Ha she’s really a fighter and knows her rights and duties. She has a backbone and she knows righteousness and women’s rights. She also has an innate quality of bouncing back from lows and very stressful times. Also she’s still an effortless and un-obvious charmer. She can make Seok Hyeong talk, answer questions and have a warm coffee voluntarily and without realising. She’s one of those people who can make things work. Moreover she can’t keep quiet she will express her happiness and discomfort both. so where Seok Hyungs mom is concerned I think the mom is learning her mistakes thanks to Rosa and SeokHyung thanks to Song Hwa but I suspect Min Ha doesn’t need saving. She’s a fighter you can’t keep down. ♥️

I think fiesty MinHa can help herself should be one of the options!

also I still do think Jun Wan and IkSun will get back together but it’s going to get emotional and stressful before they do where her health is concerned but I think the story has taken this turn not warranted by the writing plot but possibly due to lesser screen time for IkSun. I read somewhere that the actress is shooting something else or for some reason cannot give as much time to the series. Else noble idiocy seems a very strange route to be taken by Shin Lee. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, Raynaa said:

about Min Ha she’s really a fighter and knows her rights and duties. She has a backbone and she knows righteousness and women’s rights. She also has an innate quality of bouncing back from lows and very stressful times. Also she’s still an effortless and un-obvious charmer. She can make Seok Hyeong talk, answer questions and have a warm coffee voluntarily and without realising. She’s one of those people who can make things work. Moreover she can’t keep quiet she will express her happiness and discomfort both. so where Seok Hyungs mom is concerned I think the mom is learning her mistakes thanks to Rosa and SeokHyung thanks to Song Hwa but I suspect Min Ha doesn’t need saving. She’s a fighter you can’t keep down. ♥️

I think fiesty MinHa can help herself should be one of the options! 

THIS. I think Min Ha being the complete opposite of Shin Hye's personality makes this relationship development interesting. Very curious how their dynamics have changed over the one year time lapse. I had to review their clips from season 1 and Seok Hyung was still very formal in addressing Min Ha back then... now he addresses her "Min Ha-ya" which means the ice wall is slowly thawing.

I just need to see how she'll fare once she comes face to face with Yeong Hye.

• Like 5

I don't know about you all but I laughed at SK talking to MH on the phone. I mean- this is buying a gift. A subway line? Even an awkward teenager is not that awkward. Its beyond a useless conversation. If I was her I would be thinking " Professor are you ok?

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

Yoo Jae-myung to make a special appearance in 'Hospital Playlist 2'... Reunion with the production team of 'Reply'

https://image.xportsnews.com/contents/images/upload/article/2021/0716/1626420672343932.jpg

As a result of the coverage of Xports News on the 16th, Yoo Jae-myung will make a special appearance in the tvN Thursday drama 'The Wise Doctor Life Season 2'. It is known that he has already started filming.

Yoo Jae-myung and the production crew of 'Reply 1988' are reuniting briefly with 'The Life of a Wise Doctor 2'. Following Lee Kyu-hyung and Park Ji-yeon, who previously appeared in special appearances, Yoo Jae-myung is curious about what kind of appearance he will appear in 'Wise Doctor Life 2'.

Meanwhile, Yoo Jae-myung will appear in OCN's new drama 'Hometown', which is scheduled to air in the second half of the year.

https://www.xportsnews.com/article/1449821

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome 1

People say that Yoo Jae-myung might be Gyeo-ul's dad, but maybe it will be someone else's don't you think? Like perhaps Chu Min Ha's or maybe he'll play as Song-Hwa's brother. Or a new character.

I wonder if they will really pick up on the potential domestic abuse story of Gyeo-ul's family. Do they have time for it and how else would they relate domestic abuse to the hospital? Now that I think of it, it might not be to the extent by which episode 5 has portrayed it. Maybe, it's more like Gyeoul has emotional scars growing up with parents who have grown out of love and have constantly bickered even in front of their children. I don't imagine her just letting her mom stay with his dad if he actually beats her or have seen him do so, seeing how protective she is of other people. It would probably be more emotional rather than physical and that's why gyeoul and jeongwon's relationship is being portrayed as an emotional comfort for her. It also has to connect to the hospital so that the story can stay cohesive, so maybe we'll see gyeoul's family situation affect her performance as a doctor? This could be used to make a point as to how doctor's are struggling with their personal lives too on top of the pressure imposed on them by work.

Although on second thought, I'm also reminded of the STICK during little girl Hal-yu's scene (strawberry, orange, toasted rice), and it makes me wonder if it does actually signify violence (instead of the initially popular pregnancy test theory).

I'm pretty positive that we will see marriage by the end of this season, seeing how often they mention it, and while I do believe that Gyeoul and Jeongwon are bound to be husband and wife with triplets (kekeke), I'm thinking that it's also possible for the series to skip their wedding scene and show us Seokhyeong and Chu Min Ha marrying instead. Though honestly, I do want my WinterGarden wedding too please....but Chu Min Ha also deserves her Christmas Eve kiss.. I hope she gets it.

Also, has anyone seen the subtle way by which the show teases us that Gyeoul and Jeongwon's relationship may no longer be as innocent as some of us would hope to believe through the gardening scene of Jeongwon's brother? Atleast that's how I read it. But in reality, I doubt that it's really the case now, but may be a foreshadowing that this is in store in their future though not necessarily for our eyes to see and not necessarily, as some theories might suggest, premarital.

Edited by wintergardencrew
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

I don't know about you all but I laughed at SK talking to MH on the phone. I mean- this is buying a gift. A subway line? Even an awkward teenager is not that awkward. Its beyond a useless conversation. If I was here I would be thinking "

Professor are you ok?

I was half-expecting him to offer to accompany her in buying the gift.:sweat_smile: But then again, he's taking baby steps... so that conversation was a good start regardless of how awkward it came off. Poor guy. He's still traumatized that any woman he might like in the future will never measure up to his mother's standards (except Song Hwa... all the moms like her!).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, scribbledjunkie said:

I don't know about you all but I laughed at SK talking to MH on the phone. I mean- this is buying a gift. A subway line? Even an awkward teenager is not that awkward. Its beyond a useless conversation. If I was here I would be thinking "

Professor are you ok?

Hmmm But looking at SK' history , he has only ever fessed up to Dr Song that he liked her , then came the Ex Wife whom again I don't think He would have shown any outward interest to, then there is MH , SK is a guy who has undergone a lot of traumas so how to express himself was not in his to do list , besides I think MH knows very well how awkward he is and she likes that. People need to find their right kind of weird to feel at ease, its the same with them I believe.

• Like 1

I think IkJun is gonna play Cupid for MinHa as he did for Gyeoul but where his sister is concerned he is too focused on her health and doesn’t want to intervene in her now dysfunctional relationship with Junwan.

I think SongHwa will advise Junwan. Maybe not to mend his relationship directly but to take off some of the pressure and to support him through the suffering that he has been going through alone now for a year. 

She’s had a one on one very deep and frank convo with all of them except Junwan. I love her conversation with IkJun where he said that having coffee with her is his treat to himself and then the convo she had with Jeong Won when she read his mind that he’s not going to become a priest and now with SH to understand his past relationship mistakes and his reluctance in the present to commit. 

I think the true closeness for Jeong won and Gyeoul will come when she breaks down her wall and tells him her fears and back story. I don’t think that’s going to be a light scene. I also hope that they show Rosa as an antithesis of SKs mom and is willing to accept Gyeoul if she does come to know the truth of her past(though it’s  not necessary that she should know) Rosa is really mom goals she’s so sassy and yet understanding. Of course she is intuitive and has a high EQ as well. I think the reference to her looking young considering the age of her eldest son is also to do a with the fact that she is so open minded, accepting of change and keeping up with changing times. I really do think that people who are accepting of change look younger, it’s just their mindset that reflects somehow in their appearance!

still waiting to see some interaction between Song Hwa and Uju. Someone needs to take the kid camping!! 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Raynaa said:

I think IkJun is gonna play Cupid for MinHa as he did for Gyeoul but where his sister is concerned he is too focused on her health and doesn’t want to intervene in her now dysfunctional relationship with Junwan.

I think SongHwa will advise Junwan. Maybe not to mend his relationship directly but to take off some of the pressure and to support him through the suffering that he has been going through alone now for a year. 

She’s had a one on one very deep and frank convo with all of them except Junwan. I love her conversation with IkJun where he said that having coffee with her is his treat to himself and then the convo she had with Jeong Won when she read his mind that he’s not going to become a priest and now with SH to understand his past relationship mistakes and his reluctance in the present to commit. 

I think the true closeness for Jeong won and Gyeoul will come when she breaks down her wall and tells him her fears ans back story. I don’t think that’s going to be a light scene.

still waiting to see some interaction between Song Hwa and Uju. Someone needs to take the kid camping!! 

I think IkJun Cupid is really exclusive for WinterGarden. IkJun does not share the same closeness with Min Ha although both are tteokbokki club members. He might do things here and there but not to the extent of the efforts he made last season for Gyeo Ul and Jeongwon. I think one reason for this is because playing matchmaking for Jeongwon was a more urgent situation than Seokhyong's love life. Plus I don't really see GomGom needing a Cupid. They are progressing on their own just fine with a few insights from other characters here and there without any real interventions or teasing. If they would have a proper Cupid, I think it's more likely to be Song-hwa instead of IkJun. But I really don't think that GomGom needs one.

I anticipate seeing the emotional side of Gyeoul, though it makes me nervous. The character has grown on me so I find myself worried about what will be revealed about her backstory. I think I should be ready to be affected big time.

• Like 7

Can anyone figure out who did Jun-wan called in the beginning when he was drunk? The ringtone isn't Ik-sun's. On a second rewatch, I can't help but wonder whether did Ik-jun tell Jun-wan about Ik-sun, just like how he told their parents. That scene appears right immediately after Ik-jun went into his room after reading Ik-sun's confession. I understand right up until Jun- wan was drinking but I got confused when he picked up the phone to call someone. And the caller ID wasn't shown. And it's weird how we can see both Ik-jun and Ik-sun in Ik-jun's car but can't see them when Jun-wan arrives. And someone pointed out the gosu is no longer there T. T

Unpopular opinion though, am I the only who thinks Seokhyeong's mum isn't materialistic? I find the reason why she got mad at Shin-hye wasn't because they weren't well off but because they lied about their wealth. If they had said they were a family of professors, she wouldn't be livid. "I let them get married because I was told that Professor Yoon's father was one of the richest man in gangnam, not because she comes from a family of professors. Goodness it was all a lie though. They were drowning in debt. They had so many loans. Everyone in the family is a fraud." And her anger stems from the fact that she felt they made use of her son for money? Arranged marriage or not. And she probably found out about them being an almost bankrupt because of the dowry and hence, made them signed a pre-nup? Otherwise, I cannot understand why would she like Song-hwa for Seok-hyeong. Song-hwa ain't rich. And this lady just announced that money is all that she has so it doesn't look like she wants a rich daughter in law. Probably just someone who is stable and ain't swimming in debts. 

Then they purposely showed MinHa announcing proudly that she has finally paid off her student loan and she can finally start saving. I just hoped that the diamond on Shin-hye's neck isnt the same as the one on the ring she gave as her dowry. At least it can justify she took the ring to save her family from debt. 

But gom-gom interaction is just so kyuteeee. Seokhyeong's intonation when he told Min-ha that, "I just remembered that you're only allowed to ask one question a day and you've already asked one." That I am irritated but I can't get mad tone. 

And way to go, Yang Seok-hyeong. You told Min-ha to only ask work related questions but you yourself ask her which mall is she going, how is she going. XD

Edited by peace
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, peace said:

Can anyone figure out who did Jun-wan called in the beginning when he was drunk? The ringtone isn't Ik-sun's. On a second rewatch, I can't help but wonder whether did Ik-jun tell Jun-wan about Ik-sun, just like how he told their parents. That scene appears right immediately after Ik-jun went into his room after reading Ik-sun's confession. I understand right up until Jun- wan was drinking but I got confused when he picked up the phone to call someone. And the caller ID wasn't shown. And it's weird how we can see both Ik-jun and Ik-sun in Ik-jun's car but can't see them when Jun-wan arrives. And someone pointed out the gosu is no longer there T. T

Unpopular opinion though, am I the only who thinks Seokhyeong's mum isn't materialistic? I find the reason why she got mad at Shin-hye wasn't because they weren't well off but because they lied about their wealth. If they had said they were a family of professors, she wouldn't be livid. "I let them get married because I was told that Professor Yoon's father was one of the richest man in gangnam, not because she comes from a family of professors. Goodness it was all a lie though. They were drowning in debt. They had so many loans. Everyone in the family is a fraud." And her anger stems from the fact that she felt they made use of her son for money? Arranged marriage or not. And she probably found out about them being an almost bankrupt because of the dowry and hence, made them signed a pre-nup? Otherwise, I cannot understand why would she like Song-hwa for Seok-hyeong. Song-hwa ain't rich. And this lady just announced that money is all that she has so it doesn't look like she wants a rich daughter in law. Probably just someone who is stable and ain't swimming in debts. 

Then they purposely showed MinHa announcing proudly that she has finally paid off her student loan and she can finally start saving. I just hoped that the diamond on Shin-hye's neck isnt the same as the one on the ring she gave as her dowry. At least it can justify she took the ring to save her family from debt. 

But gom-gom interaction is just so kyuteeee. Seokhyeong's intonation when he told Min-ha that, "I just remembered that you're only allowed to ask one question a day and you've already asked one." That I am irritated but I can't get mad tone. 

I agree, for the mom, it isn't about wealth accumulation but equality in social status because it's her way to protect her son, to make sure he is not taken advantage of. It's well-meaning in a way, but wrong, nonetheless, or I guess we can say that's just her conditioned mindset and upbringing. 

The tteokbokki scene in Episode 4 really interests me. A lot of people see it as IkJun setting his eyes on his next matchmaking target, but I don't think that's the case. I think that scene is used as a mother-in-law mirror if we look at how differently IkJun reacted and interacted with the 2 couples.

• Like 3

@peace - I don't think SH's mom is materialistic either. But her mistrust of Shin Hye and her family's deception has caused her to run tight leash on Seok Hyung. She wants to be sure that his future relationships aren't just after his money. Well-meaning, but traumatizing to her own son. 

When Gyeo Wul mentioned that Min Ha is also from Sokcho and that her parents run a B&B there, part of me wishes Song Hwa actually went there at some point during the time lapse.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind if Song Hwa plays cupid for GomGom but @wintergardencrew is right... they are progressing just fine at the moment. 

• Like 4

1) what happened to Seokmin,  is he not longer a neurosurgery resident?  what did he and his girlfriend fightabout , didn't quite get what she told Songwha about their argument?

2) am learning about flowers and their meanings in Kdrama. Dahlia is to know your real heart or something like that, ranunculus is captivate, and tulips for forgiveness and reconciliation.  those who have seen the series know what i'm talking about.

• Like 1

Ep5 is good

SH's mom has to change before she could see her son re-married again, if I am Shin-hye, I would also take back the dowry.

With such MIL, I would support Shin-hye ignoring her.

Hope Gyeoul open up more and although a number of people were suspecting that her family has a history of domestic violence, I still prefer to watch to find out instead of speculating.

• Like 1

Btw, I wrote a short article regarding how the WinterGarden love story is hinted to be a fairytale. Sharing it here in case anyone is interested to read. This is about Season 1 but I am positive that it is still relevant in analyzing their story in Season 2.

https://wintergardencrew.wixsite.com/website/post/how-hospital-playlist-season-1-has-always-hinted-on-a-fairytale-ending-for-wintergarden

Spoiler

I think Season 1 was about helping Jeongwon accept his role as Prince Charming in this love story, and I feel that Season 2 still continues with this structure. But this time, since Prince Charming has embraced his role, it is now time for him to save his Princess from the dungeon. It seems this is the basic structure that they are playing with, that's why I am positive that marriage is highly likely especially with all the foreshadowing.

How Hospital Playlist Season 1 Has Always Hinted On A Fairytale Ending for WinterGarden

From the beginning, the love story of Dr. Jang Gyeo-ul and Professor Ahn Jeong-won has been intended to be a fairytale in Season 1.

If you missed the clues when you watched the series, we share some of the hints we have found so you can catch them on your rewatch and appreciate the details:

1. The fairytale-like narration as Jae-hak's voiceover formally introduces Dr. Jang Gyeo-ul (Episode 2):

file.png
file.png
file.png
file.png

2. The GS Dads being shown in the same frame, 7 at a time, drawing parallel to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (Episode 3):

file.png

Interestingly, the same framing is repeated in Season 2, also for Episode 3:

file.png

3. Additional fact, in both scenes above from both Seasons, Prof. Ahn Jeong-won arrives late, singling him out as the Prince of this GS Department Fairytale:

This is from Season 1 Episode 3:

file.png

And this is from Season 2 Episode 3:

file.png

4. Even the hospital elevator affirms that they are bound to level upto 4 (L-O-V-E) in Episode 4:

2293e5_c31660202a3f43c59b2471fb30e436bd~mv2.webp

2293e5_39c5ca4b189e4ebc9b55a62487bbf761~mv2.webp

2293e5_1f308885dc9c4c13944212412c70e8a0~mv2.webp

5. Dr. Chu Min-ha stating in the ER that Dr. Jang Gyeo-ul is treated like a princess (Episode 6):

file.png
file.png

By Episode 8, however, Prof. Ahn Jeong-won was still not quite ready to be the Prince yet as he is bogged by his own inner struggles about his life purpose and his true feelings for Dr. Jang Gyeo-ul, so the Princess got swept off her feet by another prince, or so he thought:

file.png
file.png

Fortunately after months of denial and of holding back, by Episode 11, Prof. Ahn Jeong-won has relaxed his wall big time as he (metaphorically) let Dr. Jang Gyeo-ul into that hidden space of his psyche where he only has compliments and admiration for her:

2293e5_9d132cf207914a2daf5add6e3abe0967~mv2.gif

Having been set up as the true fairytale couple of GS, it is only natural that we see them at the end of Season 1 finally sharing that true love's kiss:

2293e5_09ac27b6a9b14ea29df12ea37ccb3c8f~mv2.webp

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 2

At this point despite many things I just want happiness for Mina. Either she succeed or finally moves on. 

She likes him for his nature and that I think is rare for SeokHyung. That he could smile at her confession is proof that he does indeed like her is some form. But again, since she doesnt know his trauma its ALL upto him to decide if he can get over it and begin something new with Mina and see  how it goes differently OR let her go. Eitherway, I think Gom-Gom is more about SH realising his own fears and barriers before approaching Minha. He has to. Its the only fair way. 

I just hope they dont drag it till ep 12. maybe by 8? 

As for IkSun and Jun Wan, i think they are done. She is filled with insecurities she refuses to tackle and I think he will run out of patience and even IkJun wont let his friend suffer.

And IkJun was right that JunWan is walking on eggshells in this relationship. Even in season one if you notice there are a lot of things he wants that she isnt able to provide and maybe doenst want to and the sad part; thats completely okay. 

Sometimes even the best and good person might keep you unhappy and if thats so, then its okay to choose your own happiness. Breaking up with a good person is the hardest. 

• Like 2

Im just worried if Gyeoul herself was abused like the twin boys in the last season. It would be bad enough if her mother was subject to DV. But If she’s a victim directly she’s gonna be one of the most atypical female leads and it would make total sense of the fact that Shin Lee wanted to keep her away from the limelight in season 1 first half as mentioned in her audition initial reading videos. I mean revealing such a back story of an underrated character would be a different level of story writing.

inability to express empathy, being numb about situations (blank face expressions), fear of the future (will we get to go on a holiday, a year is so far ahead), are all from a list of traits that DV victim children ( whether direct or exposure to moms DV) might have as adults and that Gyeoul has shown. It’s so so :heartbreak: 

Jeong won is gonna lose it if she has any scars. Even imagining what she must have gone through will drive him crazy given the empath he is and he cannot see people in pain.

I just shuddered thinking about it myself. However sad her backstory may or may not be seeing Jeong Won sensing something leaves no doubt in my mind that they are made for each other. Only she could change his mind about becoming a priest and only he has as much empathy and warmth to embrace her and her past. The way he talks to her softly and patiently in the ER made my heart melt. the way she felt comfortable to be vulnerable and asked him to show affection everyday made me sad for her pain but happy that in a few months everything’s changed for the better for Uri Gyeora. Jeong Won is now her safe place. And it was only fitting that the scene was at his house and she felt home finally. ♥️

This season of hospital playlist is so packed with content but it’s too much anxiety to watch while on air compared to last season. :(

• Like 8
  • Sad 2