[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

It’s ironical that in a pandemic impacted world when hospitals are something we least want to think of - a hospital centric drama has provided so much relief and distraction from the reality!

Whether season 3 happens in the distant future or not, thank you to Hospital Playlist 1 and 2 for the bursts of happiness that they’ve been! A comfortable bubble that we have escaped to time and again.

I’m sure all the pent up frustration, sadness and sometimes hopelessness we all have been absorbing during these days, not just consciously seeing the direct impact of the pandemic but even subconsciously just by listening/reading the news or hearing people talk about the cases and waves, has been relieved to a great extent every time we have cried and laughed with the characters.

The pandemic has been a long winding, mostly challenging, sometimes lonely road with people managing home alongwith  work from home while some others stepped out in a dystopic world that has suddenly become real because they are essential workers. Thank you Hospital Playlist for the virtual refuge in these times. For many you’ve truly been a sweet holiday from reality. 

Thank you to the cast, crew and production team for braving the elements and actually making this series that’s gonna be relevant and cherished for a long time since though it has a hospital at the centre through its real, relatable and much loved characters it subtly taps on varied human emotions that are timeless. ♥️

• Like 7
  • Love 3

“Hospital Playlist” Reported To End With Season 2 + Production Team Comments

“Hospital Playlist” Reported To End With Season 2 + Production Team Comments

Sep 16, 2021
by D. Kim

“Hospital Playlist” has responded to reports of the series coming to a close.

On September 16, an industry representative reported, “tvN’s Thursday drama ‘Hospital Playlist’ will end all seasons with Season 2.”

In response to the report, the drama’s production team commented, “All of the production team and cast members have the definite will to unite if a new season is planned someday, but as of now, there are no specific plans.”

“Hospital Playlist” director Shin Won Ho previously shared similar words at the press conference for Season 2. He said at the time, “The original plan was to air in the same season across three years, but I told [the actors] that they are not tied up for the next season and that they should freely take on other projects. I said if we happen to return later on, we can do it then. There are no specific plans for Season 3 right now.”

Led by Jo Jung Suk, Yoo Yeon Seok, Jung Kyung Ho, Kim Dae Myung, and Jeon Mi Do, “Hospital Playlist” began its first season in March 2020 and the second season in June 2021. The final episode is set to air on September 16 at 9 p.m KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1488896wpp/hospital-playlist-reported-to-end-with-season-2-production-team-comments

• Like 1

PD Shin Won Ho Shares Key Point For Final Episode Of “Hospital Playlist 2”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 16, 2021
by L. Kim

“Hospital Playlist 2” is coming to an end!

The tvN drama stars Jo Jung SukJung Kyung HoYoo Yeon SeokJeon Mi Do, and Kim Dae Myung as five doctors who first met in medical school and have been friends ever since.

Spoilers

Previously, Yang Seok Hyung (Kim Dae Myung) and Chu Min Ha (Ahn Eun Jin) finally became a couple, and Lee Ik Joon (Jo Jung Suk) and Chae Song Hwa (Jeon Mi Do) also confirmed their feelings for each other. Ahn Jung Won (Yoo Yeon Seok) and Jang Gyeo Ul (Shin Hyun Been) are still deeply in love, and viewers are paying extra attention to whether Kim Joon Wan (Jung Kyung Ho) and Lee Ik Sun (Kwak Sun Young) will get back together or not.

Spoiler

jung-kyung-ho.jpg

yoo-yeon-seok.jpg

jo-jung-suk.jpg

The preview for the final episode depicted the doctors’ daily lives, and the new couples seem to be getting along very well. Viewers are highly anticipating the next episode to see if the doctors will get their happy endings.

PD (producing director) Shin Won Ho shared the key point for the final episode, saying, “As always, the episode will show the ordinary and special daily life of [the doctors at] Yulje Hospital as well as the twists and endings of various stories that have accumulated so far. Please show lots of anticipation and attention until the end.”

jeon-mi-do.jpg

kim-dae-myung.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1488931wpp/pd-shin-won-ho-shares-key-point-for-final-episode-of-hospital-playlist-2

• Like 1

2hrs 30min? Wowee. I will struggle to find the time to watch this tomorrow.

Bring it on. I am so happy to watch another of the PD/writer's drama. I literally don't know how they managed to cast such memorable actors each time. I've never been so in love with any cast. But every time the duo cast someone from their dramas I end up loving all the actors there.  And then have such good impressions of the actors after the series ends.

I am so ready for SK to blindside his mother. He obviously has a plan on why he wants her to think he is going to the USA. I didn't even realise he has a muscular physique until I saw the gif of his dates. I didn't have much of an impression of him during the first season but this season? He can do no wrong. I really like his bedside manner. I don't know if anyone recalls this scene but the scene was at Outpatients. Where he told a lady she had a missed abortion. My god the whole scene including all those pregnant women outside the door has always stood out in my memory. That was a very strong scene.

Thank you Hospital Playlist.

Both Prison Playbook and Hospital Playlist did not fill me with great expectations. But both series have ended up impressing me more than the 3 Reply series. They have both been very well written and directed. Brought to life by a very talented cast.

I am such a happy viewer.

• Like 2

Let’s just say I am not satisfied with the ending, i expected more. If the knetz never complained about the 2hrs40mins, maybe it would be better as this episode is only around 2hrs and there seems to be something lacking. Hope that season 3 could come one day since the production and the casts are willing to do so in the future if there is a chance for season 3 to happen.

Meanwhile variety will broadcast on 10/03 while next week is a special episode with various Q&A

• Like 2

OST 'Butterfly', 'The Wise Doctor Life Season 2' last song... No plans for season 3 yet

http://img.etoday.co.kr/pto_db/2021/09/600/20210916230357_1667558_792_445.jpg

The OST 'Butterfly' is sung by Jeon Mi-do, who plays Song-hwa Chae.

In the last episode of tvN's 'Wise Doctor Life Season 2', aired on the 16th, the story of Yulje Hospital, where tens of thousands of stories intersect, was drawn. Among the stories, the agonizing times of 'Yulje Hospital 99' continued.

Song-hwa Chae (Mi-do Jeon) and Ik-jun Ik (Jo Jung-seok) officially started dating, and Jun-wan Kim (Kyung-ho Jeong) went to meet Lee Ik-soon (Sun-young Kwak).

Yang Seok-hyeong (Kim Dae-myung) informed her mother Cho Young-hye (Moon Hee-kyung) of the existence of her girlfriend Chu Min-ha (Ahn Eun-jin)

Ahn Jung-won (Yoo Yeon-seok) decided to study in the United States with Jang Gyeol (Shin Hyun-bin). He wanted to learn more about the difficult operation of a small intestine transplant.

Yulje Hospital's friends, who each had busy time, such as Ahn Jung-won's study abroad, performed the last band ensemble. The last song selected for 'Dinosaur Ridge' was 'Butterfly' for the OST of the movie 'National Team'.

'Butterfly' will be released on the 17th as the last OST of 'The Wise Doctor Life Season 2'. “Butterfly” was sung by Jeon Mi-do, who plays Song-hwa Chae. On the other hand, on the same day, the 'Wise Doctor Life' side said, "The production team and the cast are firm in their opinion that they will work together when the next season is planned."

http://enter.etoday.co.kr/view/news_view.php?varAtcId=211703

OST Part 11 HYNN (박혜원) - 하늘을 달리다 (Running in the sky)

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

Hospital playlist. Lives of the doctors in the Yulje Medical Centre.

I think this episode showed once again that patients coming through and their experiences and how they are treated in this hospital. Cliched but so hard to potray well in medical dramas. They were treated with consideration and respect. It has stayed consistent throughout this series and it indeed a rare thing to listen to your patients all the time.

The friends stayed consistent. Their characters stayed consistent through 2 seasons. Although I would say that Chu Minha works quick. Lol. Did you all hear how his mother quoted her and how she addressed SK? She knows how to break down his reserve and not wait for him to overthink about things before doing anything.

Ikjun is faster. Lol. And I am pretty sure you guys know which scene I am referring to. I got goosebumps the same as them for another scene. I laughed so much.

The minute changes of expressions by the actors just shows how good they are at acting. 

The characters are at a good place in their lives right now. 

The ending scene brought me closure. That's how I feel when I see sunshine again. My department doesn't have any windows at all. And after a whole day of stress when I go outside or rather when I run away I feel such a relief when I see the sunset. 

It feels good to walk away. Metaphorically from my beloved characters when they are happy with their lives. Even Jeong Won. No doctor should ever stop learning. If the opportunity comes and they are not tied down by family they should go.

There shouldn't be a season 3. I am satisfied with season 2. I have every confidence that Chu Minha- sangsaengnim will get the job done and get them to the Marriage Hall. Yeah baby!!! Go for it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Yes, it's a good closure, no need a season 3, it's clair that for the moment, there are no plans for season 3, it's perfect that PD has answerded on this question, because for drama mariage love divorce their planning for  season 3 it's confuse

It's been a pleasure reading and coming up with those incorrect theories. I have to say, I was 95% wrong in my guesses. 

The ending was not what I was expecting. I was hoping for a WinterGarden proposal at least. Or maybe an even more resolution to Bidulgi relationship. Gomgom is cute already but I want Yang mama and Minha to officially meet. Uju and Iksong moments. 

So many were missing but who says they won't show any of those next week on the special episode?

• Like 1

I'm sad... but at the same time I'm happy I got to experience this drama truly. I've just finished watching the "final episode" so it'll take some time for me to really collect my thoughts... It's also going to be hard for me to criticize this finale, let alone the series as a whole. I find myself being very attached to the characters and story. Of-course there are flaws and aspects I wish were more thought out but... I don't care for things to be perfect, perfect is boring. Shin Won-ho set out to create a slice of life in a hospital and by all means did he deliver. Amazing cast... amazing soundtrack... there's a lot to say and yet my thoughts are very incoherent rn... though... I think my favorite part of this drama was the romance between Ik-jun and Songhwa. 

Very appreciative to this drama! Here's to hopefully one more season!

Edited by Jttyrel
  • Like 1

Ep 12 does feel like an ending - with some sort of closure for main and side plots. But I think it also left some room to should the series restart in another year. Remember that it was planned to play out for season, but possibly the scriptwriting team has difficulties coping and to leave the casts room to explore other projects. Maybe filming under covid SOP isn't very ideal.

I wish that:

Spoiler

at least one of the couples are shown in a public relationship. The fact that winter garden are leaving together surely means at least some of the staff know their romance, right? Or have "bidulgi" known to someone other than IJun.

By the way, was JWan's surgery partner the arrogant Prof Cheon? Wasn't too sure as he is masked. I wished they had a scene outside the OP though...

The finale is unfortunately not much of an episode for the supporting/guest casts, except their significant other I suppose...

Whatever the reason may be, I'm grateful for 2 enjoyable seasons. More than that, I hope we see a continuation sometime in the future.

I think we all need a season 3 or at least a version of all 99z movies. Like each of an episode cater to each mains. to finalize their story. 

1. Ikjun and SongHwa focused version of episodes - to finalize their arc as a couple and potentially a new parent to Uju. 
2. GomGom version of ending - marriage, SHyung fear?, the secret, his mom, are they going to be exposed as acouple in public? are they going to be Ob-Gyn couple?

3. Iksun- Junwan - the angst we felt throughout S2. Their restart to heal the relationship? As if their relationship is in a pause. Play, Pause, Resume? Junwan unanswered "loneliness", the tease over mental health, his fear over being left alone in an empty house What's with the scenes him being left alone? Iksun's health? What of it?
4. Ahn Jeongwon and Gyeoul - what's with all the teasing and questions " Do you have a child? Are you getting married? When?" then the marriage proposal setup, Gyeoul view of being a parent, JWon fulfillment to DDL and Children Hospital? Its all *spoiler alert*. Then the declaration on saying they are going to *spoiler alert* 

tbh, my expectations are high since this is the last season and a final one. If you want to argue that they carry on with their lives as a doctor, then yes, it is true. But that is their duty. Everyday will be a similar day and ordinary day to them but only exists to save lives. A doctor is also a human. What I want to see is a humanized plot to say "ahh, this is nice". They also have their own climax, ending story or arc need to be completed.  For me, as a human or a person, they haven't reached that turning point yet but only touch the tips of it - especially like IkSong, JunSun and GomGom.

Spoiler

Its all wasted and going to US.

For me, we were robbed from scenes that we much needed and teased across all 11 episodes. 

Do Jaehak had the best closure for his arc - scammers got caught, fulfilling life as a husband and a father. And now he is set to be a good doctor and a good father. 

Mother who losts their child - coming again to see Gom, are blessed with another one. 

I want to write more, but I am feeling empty and somewhat angry at the same time. Sad not really. Now, moving on the next kdrama

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Hospital Playlist 2” Finale Achieves Highest Ratings Of Entire Season

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 17, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Hospital Playlist 2” has ended on a high note!

On September 16, the second season of the hit medical drama ended on its highest viewership ratings yet. According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “Hospital Playlist 2” scored an average nationwide rating of 14.1 percent, marking a new all-time high for the season.

“Hospital Playlist 2” also successfully maintained its winning streak at the top of its time slot, remaining first place across all channels—even including public broadcast networks—for its highly-anticipated finale.

Meanwhile, the producers of “Hospital Playlist” confirmed yesterday that while both the production team and the cast have expressed definite interest in reuniting for another season in the future, at the moment, there are no concrete plans for a third season of the drama.

Are you sad to see “Hospital Playlist 2” come to an end? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1489088wpp/hospital-playlist-2-finale-achieves-highest-ratings-of-entire-season

I loved every bit of the finale. I thought it was a strong finish. I was really pleased to see the couple (who had lost their baby) return and reveal to Seok Hyeong that they are expecting another angel. Jae Hak’s wife is a true fighter. We did not get to see all of it, but nine months of pregnancy plus chemo could not have been easy. I was happy to see them able to welcome their baby – all safe and healthy. The scene of Song Hwa witnessing the two families side by side, with one father saved while the other lost, was so sad yet well done with portraying the fragility of life and death.

As far as the love lines, not everything needs to be fully written and spelled out in details for me. Everyone is in a good place and that is more than enough for me.

I was most happy to see Jun Wan and Ik Sun reset. Not all couples can wipe the slate clean and start anew again. Ik Sun knows that so I am certain this time, she will cherish Jun Wan and hold on tightly. Finally, Jun Wan is smiling again.

At first, I was surprised that it was Jeong Won who ended up going to the U.S., but then again, he was supposed to leave Yulje (for priesthood) in season 1. His departure came back full circle; but the difference is he and Gyeo-Ul will be on this journey together. I find this to be more romantic than a marriage proposal. How exciting to leave everything that is familiar and explore a new surrounding together. To me, to be able to learn and grow, professionally and personally, together is special and rare.

With the sun setting with the friends, I agree it means the curtains has closed with season 2. I have zero complaints as it has been another lovely adventure with Shin-Lee. Looking forward to their next project.

Take care and stay safe, everyone.

• Like 8

Hospital playlist tackles so many topics. Some watch it for the friendship reminiscing about their own close friends, some for the romance, some for the heartwarming stories of the people inside the hospital, some for the personal story of 40s professional kidult who are so great in their field yet childish inside. It's hard to meet all the expectations of that many and diverse people yet HP did it really well, at least for me.

This drama is gaining attention not only from those who seek entertainment, but also from the professionals in medicine. This may put huge burden to the writer. And i applaud them for their courage in bringing the cases which may bore common viewers if not done well, as well as the issues that raise people awareness like donor, shelter for the guardians, and DDL programs. Seeing how these associations of doctors and KONOS sending coffee truck to the set just show how impactful HP is and how appreciative these proffesionals are to the HP team.

Those who watch review from doctor unnies will know how they are amazed at how detailed HP is. From the slang word used by their circle to the way nurses at the back (not the main actor of the operation) do the procedure exactly like those in real operating room. It may sound simple, but i just can't imagine the amount of research and discussion of developing certain case into a moving story, and the rehearsal done by the actors to portray it exactly like it is. It's something that would likely go unnoticed by most viewers but they put the effort into it.

HP is a gem. It's a legend. Not many dramas can make you reflect in simple things like being able to sleep laying down. I may be minority but i wish it really ends here. It ends with a satisfying ending in S2 and I can keep fond memory of the drama forever.

• Like 2
  • Love 1