[Drama 2020-2021] Hospital Playlist, 슬기로운 의사생활 - Season 1 & 2

larus

There are people who feel frustrated with the progress of the lovelines. And then there’s me, who feel frustrated reading their frustrations. Some might think I’m a blind supporter of ShinLee. Truth is I dropped R94 halfway and still have zero motivation to watch it.

I honestly think they’re not dragging out the lovelines for no reason. Between Songhwa’s pseudo-rejection and her eventual acceptance of Ikjun, something needs to happen to cause her mind to change. It’s part of her character development.

Everything has been planned from the start. Take Gyeoul’s family background as an example, which has been foreshadowed in S1 before “winter garden” was a thing.

I think it’s no coincidence that something happened to both Gyeoul’s and Jeongwon’s moms before the proposal. He planned to propose to her, even before formally introducing her to Rosa. A marriage doesn’t only concern the two of them; both families would be involved too. Rosa’s hospital stay become an opportunity for Gyeoul to introduce herself as Jeongwon’s gf. And Gyeoul brought her mom to stay in Seoul, which could create an opportunity for Jeongwon to meet her too.

In S1, we saw how Songhwa broke down mentally in the car before getting the breast biopsy results. But she managed to compose herself and put up a strong front before Ikjun.

This time round, Songhwa completely let down her defences. When Ikjun entered, she didn’t hide her tears or turn away from him. She finally revealed her vulnerable side to him.

51380548647_69d9809986_o.png

Then, she walked to his side and crossed the line. @dubuqueen I think she wanted to be comforted by Ikjun. But being a gentleman, he held himself back and walked away.

In that moment, Songhwa’s heart wavered. As Ikjun walked away, she might have realised she wanted to be more than just friends. I think this could be a turning point for Iksong’s rls.

Also, see how Shin pd uses lines to illustrate his characters’ relationships.

51380548617_747728eed8_o.png

51382322675_b5a176c0d7_o.png

On 8/15/2021 at 10:39 PM, kurokurokaze said:

After watching Ep 8, something disturb my mind. Before the band scene, there is a scene where SongHwa met a man who is her patient's son. He said that his friends for 30 years just died at his relatively young age, 50. And the scene end after that.

Whether I only overthink this scene or there something important will happen to Ikjun, because this scene might be a foreshadow to Songhwa's long time friend and related about death. But, we all know that Shin-Lee is not the type who will make useless / pointless scene, right?

But, I hope everything will be okay, and they have happy ending.

*sorry for my bad english

Earlier, the son and daughter were arguing over money and their mom’s medical bills. Understandably, since they have already spent a lot for their mom’s breast cancer treatment. Then, the son’s friend died suddenly, before he could spend a penny of the money he earned. Seeing this, the son realised that life is more precious than money. Hence, he changed his mind and decided to pay for his mother’s surgery.

• Like 9
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

“Hospital Playlist 2” Announces In Advance That They Will Not Air During The First Week Of September

984e025bbe1b438f8daca23767822f68.jpeg?s=

Aug 18, 2021
by C. Hong

tvN’s “Hospital Playlist 2” will take a break from airing in the first week of September.

On August 17, a representative from “Hospital Playlist 2” confirmed, “The drama will not air on September 2 due to the coverage of the Asia preliminaries for the 2022 Qatar World Cup.”

The 2022 Qatar World Cup is scheduled for November and December of 2022. (Due to the heat in Qatar, the World Cup is not being held during the summer months as usual.) As part of the Asia preliminaries for the World Cup, South Korea will play against Iraq on September 2.

As a result, “Hospital Playlist 2” will air as usual until episode 10 on August 26. It will take a break for one week and return with episode 11 on September 9.

This is the second time that “Hospital Playlist 2” has taken a break this season. It previously aired a special episode on July 29 due to filming challenges associated with the rapid spread of COVID-19 in Korea, as well as to complete work on the script.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1484247wpp/hospital-playlist-2-announces-in-advance-that-they-will-not-air-during-the-first-week-of-september

• Shocked 1

14 hours ago, __jesse said:

I honestly think they’re not dragging out the lovelines for no reason. Between Songhwa’s pseudo-rejection and her eventual acceptance of Ikjun, something needs to happen to cause her mind to change. It’s part of her character development.

@__jesse I agree with you. I don’t think the love lines are being dragged out nor do I feel angst of what is going to happen with them. I believe Shin-Lee is painting the bigger picture for each pairing. Also, as you mentioned, there are still characters in development…

Song Hwa deeply cherishes her friendship with Ik Jun. Her main reservation is that she fears crossing that line will jeopardize it, but without risk, there is no reward. Having Ik Jun by her side through the most difficult moments in her life will help her understand it is okay and human to be vulnerable. As @Raynaa pointed out, Song Hwa likely needs to learn to listen to her heart and let it overrule her brain instead. She needs to reach that point to take that leap of faith.

Jeong Won had asked Gyeo-Ul to promise him that she tells him if anything happens to her. He won’t nag her or offer advice, he just wants to know.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Even after Gyeo-Ul told Jeong Won about her mother’s accident for her sudden absence, he still sensed that there is more to it. In addition to formally meeting each other's parents, I think she needs to fully open-up to Jeong Won. I trust that she will get there, but it is step forward that he wishes to see from her.

I loved Jun Wan and Ik Sun while they were together, but I thought they may have been too considerate of each other. Ik Sun had apprehensions about relationships so Jun Wan tended to appease her, such as not giving her the ring when he originally wanted to in season 1. Like how Jeong Won’s marriage proposal did not happen as he had planned, I think it was meant to be the package with the ring happened to not make it to Ik Sun in the UK. When Jun Wan felt uneasy upon learning about her male flat mate and hesitated to ask her about him, it did not feel right with me. Also, he pretended to be happy during their calls. In reality, he was stressed out about his patient cases, not having wished his father a happy birthday and their relationship. When she found this out through Ik Jun, she did not want to be burden on him and broke up with him without a legitimate explanation. (Whether it was also due to her illness as well, we have yet to find out.) I felt bad for her when Jun Wan asked her if the reason was because of her flat mate. You could see and feel the pain in her heart. I wished he had been able to share his worries with her. In the present, it is great they met again on the train, but for a long-lasting relationship, I think both need to learn to be open and honest with each other’s feelings – the good and the bad. My belief is when they get to this point is when he is meant to give the ring to Ik Sun – in person.

Seok Hyeong skipping band practice to go check on Min Ha at the hospital was a huge move on his part, but I think he still needs to deal with his past and believe in love again. Also, when Min Ha ran into Seok Hyeong’s mother, it alluded that the mother still has her irrational tendencies. I respect how Seok Hyeong dotes on and protects his mother because of everything their family has gone through, but he cannot allow her to be overbearing in his relationship again. I am curious to see how he will learn to balance both these aspects of his life.

- - - - - - 

My favorite moments of episode 8 were of Jeong Won and Rosa. I loved how he encouraged her not to worry about her children and eventually falling ill due to old age. She should put herself first. Even if she happened to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and doesn’t recognize them, they will recognize her and remind her that she is their mother. Meanwhile, he wants her to live her life to the fullest. I think parents will always view their children as children, even when they are adults, and they tend to forget about themselves. They have fulfilled their duty in raising their children. It is time for them to focus on their happiness in their golden years and allow their children take care of them.

After their conversation, it was such a treat to see Rosa part of the band and do her thing on the keyboards -  right next to her son and with Jong Su proudly watching her.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 2

Oh my, episode 9 was so good! Spoilers ahead:

So, Ik Jun did arrange Jun Wan to be on the same train as Ik Sun. It was revealed that he saw a photo of Jun Wan on Ik Sun’s phone home-screen and realized that she misses him. In this episode, Ik Jun purposely (yet still discreetly) let Jun Wan know that Ik Sun was in the ER which allowed him to meet her again. I think Ik Jun is only intervening because he knows both truly love each other. It’s clear Jun Wan won’t give up on Ik Sun so easily. Deep down, Ik Sun doesn’t want to give up either.

Seok Hyeong was so cute in this episode. Everyone is noticing that he’s more expressive nowadays – more eye contact and more smiles. Love seeing this development in Seok Hyeong’s personality and channeling out this brighter side of himself. Could it be Min Ha’s positive effects on him?

I noticed that Ik Jun and Jeong Won were taking a break on the same bench from season 1 when Jeong Won was struggling with his own dilemmas. Ik Jun wondered to Jeong Won if Seok Hyeong is aware of his feelings for Min Ha. It sounded like Jeong Won was speaking from experience when he responded that he’s sure Seok Hyeong knows exactly how he feels for her, but he needs to figure out what to do. He needs to evaluate the consequences as they’ll have a number of hurdles to overcome. Jeong Won has certainly become wiser through his experiences.

We finally get Song Hwa’s POV! Now, we know for sure that Ik Jun was her first love. Since she had her heart broken 20 years ago, this must be another reason why she is hesitant to fully cross the line with Ik Jun. I wonder if she’ll eventually find out that Ik Jun had only backed out to protect Seok Hyeong, but this part may no longer relevant. If their feelings and mindset are mutual and at the same place today, it’s all that should matter.

Whenever Song Hwa had watched the rain, she was always sheltered and protected. I really loved how this time, she was caught off guard by nature and was able to brave the rain with Ik Jun. Even the handholding while they jumped over the rain puddle was so natural. Ik Jun was right that she still has a few puddles (hurdles) ahead of her, but she can do it. She just needs to jump over (overcome) them. The whole rain scene was so meaningful. I don’t think it was a coincidence that Ik Jun was there to help her jump over her first puddle – holding her hand. He was encouraging her not be afraid. Life is never certain and full of unknowns. Most of the times, it’s about taking chances. If you don’t, you won’t know whether the rainbow will be there to greet you in the end. Based on Song Hwa’s expression, I think she is starting to understand it.

I love Gyeo-Ul and Min Ha’s friendship. Min Ha knew Gyeo-Ul is struggling with something, but she didn’t pry as Gyeo-Ul wasn't ready to talk about it yet. She gave Gyeo-Ul her space, but let Gyeol-Ul know that she is here whenever Gyeo-Ul needed her. Encouragement and support (physically and spiritually) are the best things friends can offer each other.

It seems many of the characters have their personal hurdles to overcome. They need sort things out internally and reach a peace within themselves before they make their choices - with no regrets. As Jeong Won struggled and overcame his hurdles in season 1, I look forward to the other characters to do same as well

P.S. Yoo Jae Myung’s cameo was such a treat and touching. I was moved with his efforts in rushing back to be there for his patient. The dedication as doctors is so admirable.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

Oh my, episode 9 was so good! Spoilers ahead:

yes, this episode also meant to those people who were saying Dr Bong role as ER and lack of other departments in yulje playing a role. 

Now we are served, .. I like how they emphasizes the blood, sweat and tears each nurse in NeoNatal taking care of each baby to the point they had to stand all day long, for them. And often, ER team were overlooked by patients like the Little Mermaid - because during the critical moments, they are the deciding factor

I guess all those theories a year ago, paid off about Songhwa feelings and Ikjun cancelled it cuz of Seokhyung. and now I have a feeling, Seokhyung will lead them both. 

I am thinking that they are wrapping this season up with the episodes coming in  1 hr 50 mins now and then. Soo, I guess no more Season 3? 

Ahh I want to hug Winter.. How come she has been avoiding Jeongwon a week now since .. i bet shes afraid to see him, because the moment they see each other, Gyeoul will cry/bawling out

• Like 5
  • Love 2

After today’s episode I really do think that they are headed for a third season.

The one thing I saw mentioned/shown many times in the episode was hurdles: 

- JeongWon said that GomGom will have to pass many hurdles. He saw himself in Seok Hyeong - Mr bear having realised that he likes Min Ha and there’s no turning back but still a long road to travel.
- Although not spoken verbally but obviously visible is that Winter Garden are in the midst of a hurdle themselves.

- Jung Su helping Rosa take a step and crossing health hurdles together.

- IkJun helping SongHwa jump over a puddle and saying there are 3 more hurdles ahead. (3 more times she will break down her walls? One that was crossed was her mother’s illness) 

- Bidulgi crossing the long distance hurdle and possibly facing a health one next. I feel the liver transplant is quite likely now. :( Oh I can’t see sweetheart Lee Siblings  and Junwan suffer anymore pleaseee! 

Other than the hurdles:

- Next episode I think Gyeoul is gonna break down and cry but I’m not yet sure if that’s with Min Ha or Jeong Won first.
- I really admire Min Ha for her tact/diplomacy/street smartness. Her presence of mind to say that the loser gets the ice cream. 
- I hope they show some good scenes of Bidulgi for all the pain caused so far. Please don’t make her sick. Hope they show she gets better quicker with JunWan by her side that she was more love sick than actual sick. Of course our mental health impacts physical recovery, right? 
- For the twin making mistakes all the time, he’s being doing so with 3 professors so far. I feel he’s gonna get worse only till IkJun Or SongHwa or maybe even Gyeoul finally have an ice breaker talk with him and change his perspective. I don’t think He’s bad at his work he’s a bit naive and is seeking a mentor/role model subconsciously. SongHwa did say he reminded her of IkJun.

- also they mentioned twice (Junwan and Jeongwon) that SongHwa listens to IkJun 

- why does JeongWon mention almost in every episode that he’s the only paediatric surgeon? It’s really too often. Please no negative foreshadowing ShinLee. 

I really don’t know writing styles or narration styles or techniques and haven’t studied story telling or anything. But I admire ShinLee for their very adaptive writing that is engrossing and almost interactive with the audience.Adaptive because the characters use recent updated terms and exact words in the episodes that the fandom uses for the characters (Cupid for IkJun, bear for Seok Hyeong, JeongWon calling GomGom as IkJuns next project). This makes you feel like a part of the series almost like a live wire theatre/play/live performance atmosphere. Engrossing due to the Easter eggs. And interactive because of the connection created to the characters built over scenes across the seasons that are relatable you can’t help yourself smile, laugh and be really expressive when you watch. The overall impact is almost like Min Ha’s tact and wittiness pulling Seok Hyung and Gyeoul out of their shells and making them react/respond/interact. It’s truly writing brilliance in tandem with perfectly in sync execution♥️

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

I can already hear some viewers complaining that it is mostly romance now with Gomgom and Iksong running towards the endgame goal when the series is meant to be a slice of life drama. Then they should realize that in a romance drama (or any other in general), they wouldn't see a lot of the side characters and their stories. 

I knew from the moment Songhwa's gaze stayed on Ikjun in S1 (was it episode 3?) during their college days band practice that she liked him. I wonder what she felt when he got married and had Uju. Her feelings might've buried deep down but it started to emerge again in their forties.

There was no WinterGarden crumbs and I do feel empty without any moments of theirs but what got me going was Resident Geon's look towards Gyeoul. I want to see a jealous and possessive Jeongwon. The preview for episode 10 showed a crying and vulnerable Gyeoul. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to handle seeing that. Gyeoul is too precious of a character for me that I forgot she is not even one of the main characters of the series but seems like she is. 

Bidulgi couple needs to get together ASAP. 5 episodes of drought was too much ShinLee! They need to talk soon or else I will lose my patience.

It's nice to see that nurses and other members of the medical team were also acknowledged. Out of all the Korean medical dramas I have watched, Hosplay is probably the only show that conveys the importance of other medical staff on the recovery of a patient. 

At this point, I feel like every episode of Hospital Playlist 2 will become my favorite episode.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, JungRok said:

yes, this episode also meant to those people who were saying Dr Bong role as ER and lack of other departments in yulje playing a role. 

Now we are served, .. I like how they emphasizes the blood, sweat and tears each nurse in NeoNatal taking care of each baby to the point they had to stand all day long, for them. And often, ER team were overlooked by patients like the Little Mermaid - because during the critical moments, they are the deciding factor

@JungRok I agree with you. The story made its rounds to the ER department and gave where credit is due. Even Jun Wan acknowledged that the critical moment in saving in the traffic accident patient was by ER, not just surgery. Dr. Bong, in particular, really shined here.

In my previous post, I mentioned the dedication of the doctors, it would be only right if I included the nurses/staff as well. I noticed that one of the neonatal nurses had a pain patch wrapped around her neck. A simple detail which visually illustrated all the staff’s hard work and endurance for their patients.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

A few things before diving into today's episode. Gosh that whole table tennis sequence was HILARIOUS :loolz:

Is there more romance now? yes

Is there more deep diving into characters ? yes

Frankly I like this. As much as I like medical drama or slice of life; Romance is slice of life and they way they are going about the whole thing, slow,  dragging, hesitant, confused, high, low, heartbreak.... without any of the makjang plots ; if this isnt slice of life, then people you need to google the meaning. 

Anyway, today episode was precious. and I love how in this season, the emotions are out there for us to see, and its the wait thats left for us. 

Take Songhwa, it was apparent she like Ikjun, her hesitancies are purely circumstances and she is growing. They woman just now knows that he likes her, it's endgame to quote Jungwon. 

Speaking of the Budhaa, I think he is going to be the nudge who is going to break Gyeowul's wall. If all the hints and our interpretations are correct, then she is overwhelmed that her personal life , work life and family are in one plate. It's hard for anyone to handle like that and once she gets stronger she will take the hands offered. P.S I want her to propose to him like how she did in end of S1.

JunWan and IkSun..... frankly very frankly even though I totally get the ghosting, i am of personal opinion that he deserves better. They both do. Their paring was all wrong. Too cautious, too understanding. no arguments only smiles and good intentions blah blah.. That's paper relationship not commitment. Hell they had better chemistry when they were not dating. Let's see

GomGom.... I want a kiss. I simply want Seokhyung to acknowledge his feeling, sort the issues that will come, prepare himself to be brave and just envelope Mina into a hug as crushing and comforting for them both. She is a fighter and she drove herself into his life, whether he wanted it or not. As overwhelming as it can be, sometimes the person being there is the lightbulb you need. I am sure his mother will have her opinions. but I dont think she was ever the problem. Like Songhwa mentioned, he was always unwilling to open himself to people besides his friends. Even the nurses said that it took him half a year to be comfortable. He is just slow. That't totally OKAY. I think that's why Minah wanted to confess 5 times.  

The excruciating wait begins 

• Like 5

Is Iksun using the EarPods that Junwan gave her?

Also the rain scene SongHwa looks so caught in the moment and suddenly confronted by the realisation that she can’t deny that she still likes IkJun those are not remanent feelings but present feelings which she was suddenly in the midst of in that moment. that followed by the the flashback scene later, I feel she had bottled up the pain inside her long ago and not felt or processed or lived with that feeling and accepted it and then let it just pass by. It was bottled up and she sort of never validated it in any way consciously or sub consciously. I think she’s finally at the point when she can face the past, process the pain and let it go completely and start over (like the daisies) and look forward to better memories instead.  Also I wanna know why this song? And which song is IkJun gonna reply with? Will she get him a gift on his birthday after all he’s done for each main character he deserves something nice! 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

i just realized that the Ping Pong tournament is a throwback to 2d1n ping pong game in season 1 with the old casts. They did this in Seoraksan lodge. 

Goshh, 

I think the ShinLee is paying a tribute to 2D1N as a starting point to their career! Seoraksan Hiking (2d1n), Ping Pong 2d1n, leg cramps, meat craze..

I think this is the way of saying that Hospital Playlist is in a special place in their heart, altogether with 2d1n.

OMG! OMG!

4 hours ago, triplesung said:

There was no WinterGarden crumbs and I do feel empty without any moments of theirs but what got me going was Resident Geon's look towards Gyeoul. I want to see a jealous and possessive Jeongwon. The preview for episode 10 showed a crying and vulnerable Gyeoul. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to handle seeing that. Gyeoul is too precious of a character for me that I forgot she is not even one of the main characters of the series but seems like she is. 

Yes, I felt a bit empty without WinterGarden interaction. I feel like she's avoiding her. Even then, why did Jeongwon not tell her to let him drive her home? Is it the tone use? Or Garden knows by instict she's in a deep thought, that need some space?

2 hours ago, classyviews said:

JunWan and IkSun..... frankly very frankly even though I totally get the ghosting, i am of personal opinion that he deserves better. They both do. Their paring was all wrong. Too cautious, too understanding. no arguments only smiles and good intentions blah blah.. That's paper relationship not commitment. Hell they had better chemistry when they were not dating. Let's see

True. They both are 40 years old. But right now, Iksun is in a vulnerable place - getting sick. So she build up a wall. She misunderstood that she was a burden to Junwan when he struggled in LDR altogether with the patients. As he loved her so much, he didnt want her to hear his bad side; so he kept it simple and happy when they videocalling/calling. 

I read from twitter that Iksun must be thinking to break up with Junwan because she had suspicions that she is getting sick in UK. Early diagnosis at hospital prompts her to get more tests, and a week later, the UK doctors' suspicions are correct and she called Ikjun. Therefore, she is back in Korea. 

4 hours ago, triplesung said:

I knew from the moment Songhwa's gaze stayed on Ikjun in S1 (was it episode 3?) during their college days band practice that she liked him. I wonder what she felt when he got married and had Uju. Her feelings might've buried deep down but it started to emerge again in their forties.

Yes, I had the feeling that she must have moved on from him at early medical college years. She even dated a senior and called Campus Couple. And then we were told Ikjun also dated in the college, but Junwan said he never dated anyone unless he wanted to or the girl egging him too much - in this case, his ex wife, who egged Jeongwon to introduce her to him. I am guessing her reaction to his wedding will be like the same to this Taiwanese/HKong movie I watched? :sad1:

I wish we can create a timeline for us to understand how their way of feelings reciprocate.

• Like 7

Finally we get to see what Songhwa think of Ikjun 20+ years ago. So goodbye haters.

Shin PD casting of two Olympics medalists as the winner of the table tennis tournament is a masterstroke. A pity that we only get a comedic scene of GS team trying hard to receive the balls.

This episode also shown the importance of the support department that works together with the treatment team to ensure the smooth recovery of the patient. Nursing, ER and Radiology are important as well and none of them could be excluded. Even when the 5 leads are doing the surgery, Anesthesiology department is also important as without the anesthesiologist, the surgery could not be conducted at all.

• Like 9

I re-watched the rain scene. When they jumped over the first puddle, it looks like Ik Jun extended his hand out to Song Hwa and she reached to grab it without hesitation. Her heart starting overruling her brain, perhaps?

giphy.gif

I originally thought the hurdles that Ik Jun mentioned to Song Hwa were in reference to challenges that she personally needs to overcome. Since they were walking on a path together, I also think the hurdles are those that both need to overcome individually and together. After Ik Jun pointed out the puddles ahead of them and encouraged her to just jump over them, he dashed first and she followed shortly afterwards. I believe it means that when Ik Jun had confessed in season 1, he had already calculated and predicted that crossing the line will not be easy for both of them, but he’s already decided (with no regrets) to take a risk and make a move. Now, it’s up to Song Hwa if she’s willing to do the same and follow the same path ahead with him. Looks like it's happening!

giphy.gif

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

I re-watched the rain scene. When they jumped over the first puddle, it looks like Ik Jun extended his hand out to Song Hwa and she reached to grab it without hesitation. Her heart starting overruling her brain, perhaps?

I originally thought the hurdles that Ik Jun mentioned to Song Hwa were in reference to challenges that she personally needs to overcome. Since they were walking on a path together, I also think the hurdles are those that both need to overcome individually and together. After Ik Jun pointed out the puddles ahead of them and encouraged her to just jump over them, he dashed first and she followed shortly afterwards. I believe it means that when Ik Jun had confessed in season 1, he had already calculated and predicted that crossing the line will not be easy for both of them, but he’s already decided (with no regrets) to take a risk and make a move. Now, it’s up to Song Hwa if she’s willing to do the same and follow the same path ahead with him. Looks like it's happening!

THEY MENtioned this on Twitter. The Netflix translations are not that **how to say this** - quite right. Thats why she was stunned

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote GIFs! Thanks!
  • Insightful 6
  • Thanks 2

“Hospital Playlist 2” Maintains No. 1 Ratings

fa392325e8714fe0b26cc573aab1727a.jpeg?s=

Aug 20, 2021
by E. Cha

As it heads into the final weeks of its run, tvN’s “Hospital Playlist 2” remains as popular as ever!

On August 19, the hit medical drama continued to take first place in its time slot across all channels, even including public broadcast networks. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest episode of “Hospital Playlist 2” scored an average nationwide rating of 12.9 percent.

The drama also remained first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 8.4 percent and a peak of 9.3 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1484591wpp/hospital-playlist-2-maintains-no-1-ratings

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

Watching the scene when IkJun calls JunWan and tells him (almost) directly to come meet IkSun in the ER and the interaction between IkJun and MinHa during the ice cream scene and then JeongWon and IkJun discussing Seok Hyung just suddenly contrasted all their communication styles to me.

Clubbing characters that are similar:

IkJun and MinHa:

For IkJun and MinHa I think communication is a game they ace. They know the rules, the playing field and how to prod different people in any situation and make them break their barriers and speak to them. That’s why IkJun knew that MinHa wouldn’t let them win the ice cream game and stopped JeongWon from persisting. He completely understood what was going on! Their main way of communication is actually spending more time with people and interacting. Their forte is to be active in the game and make people communicate using tact, wit, humour and good listening as their weapons. Communication as a social skill is natural to them and effort is their strong point. For their close knit people they are ferociously protective and will do anything for them and that makes them so endearing. 

However, their communication is more effort based and not flawlessly intuitive. That’s why MinHa couldn’t read Seok Hyung correctly in the beginning and IkJun did not know the failed relationship that his sister had. He was also clueless about Bidulgi (though I have to say there were more clues beyond intuition also).
Particularly where IkJun is concerned he thrives and is proud of his social skills, the social network he is a part of broadly and the close knit bond he has created with his friends and family. I really don’t think it came 100% naturally to him it’s something he honed as well since he was once an awkward youngster trying too hard to fit in with the big city life. He was possibly kind of hurt although more shocked when he was clueless about Bidulgi and stayed out of meddling until he saw the pic on IkSuns phone and his heart melted. His expression when he saw the pic was as if his heart broke in many pieces for his sister. His sister will be his first child/daughter forever and it’s Junwan who will have to deal with his ragging from now like the do you behave like this with your gf comment over the meal unpacking/serving. But he also does know that JunWan truly loves Iksun and it’s not a 3 month thing for him that’s why he played Cupid although belatedly... reluctantly trusting him with his precious sister.

SongHwa and JeongWon:

For SongHwa and JeongWon communication is all about intuition. They read the room intuitively and can connect with what the other person is feeling. That’s why they get each other also and JeongWon didn’t have to verbally tell SongHwa about GyeOl. JeongWon could understand completely what Seok Hyung was thinking when they both met alone. He also knows intuitively that he can only prod GyeOl till one point and just wait for her beyond that though his patience is giving up that’s what he needs to do for her. He could sense that the child patient needed to speak instead of his mother speaking for him. SongHwa could understand SeokHyung and asked him to communicate more and the many times she has given advice to her mentees. Their strong point is intuition that’s why they have strong candid conversations that matter and have an impact on people. It’s quality communication that’s their forte. Also their communication with people close to them is candid and unfiltered. They act stubborn, kiddish with people they are close to.

SeokHyung and Gyeoul:

they are the trickiest and most misunderstood I think. They are introverts but they are not emotionless! They can read the room, they can be intuitive even. But they can’t come out of their shell as they are always processing, mulling over what’s going on. And god knows that they have had too much on their plate. SeokHyung has a broken family - a father he didn’t address as a father in the last few years, the tragic losing of his sister, and a broken then mended relationship with his mother. People often say they have problem children when they have stubborn children who never grew out of their terrible twos phase. But he has a problem mother who doesn’t let go of her stubbornness. Their coping mechanisms are to withdraw inwards and process everything on their own and at other times to avoid and run away. They have been too burdened for too long. GyeOl’s story is still up for guessing and we will possibly know in the next episode. But what’s commendable about them is that through it all they preserved the good people they are within that shell and are so empathetic. 

JunWan and IkSun:

The Bidulgi couple is the most perplexing honestly. For JunWan he definitely can’t read the room. He didn’t know about WinterGarden. He doesn’t know a lot of things going on around him. He did not realise yet that IkJun knows about Bidulgi even after that call that was so obvious. The only thing he did notice is that SongHwa listens to IkJun. He couldn’t tell JeongWon what was bothering him nor make him reveal what was bothering him. Why he possibly communicates frankly and directly to the point and almost curt is because that’s how he understands things himself. JunWan was quite likely the emotionally unavailable person in his previous relationships cause he couldn’t follow what was going on with the other person. For IkSun she is an extrovert but where her one on one relationships are concerned especially with IkJun and JunWan she’s almost like an introvert she doesn’t open up, doesn’t tell them what is happening and she strongly wants to be independent but that feeling stems from not subjecting them to the hurt or burden they might feel while caring or protecting her. IkSuns behaviour in close relationships almost mirrors JunWans lack of communication skills. I think that’s why Iksun is the only person JunWan understands almost intuitively because in many ways she is exactly like him. He communicates with a lot of care and softness because with her he is able to understand that is what she needs. This special bond that they have formed because in some way they get each other despite their lack of communication skills is the reason that they can’t move on. Their relationship is a magical comfort cocoon they happened to find. As long as ikSun opens her heart completely to love again and they both work on their communication they should be fine now. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4

5QhDdWf.gif

Yes the best ep of s 2 for me that i Loved and immediately rewatched. 

For one, every episode that has less medical side and more lacking 5 and their stories IS THE BEST.

Secondly thank god less iksong scenes but more meaningful where we can see SW reactions more than a  friend.

Thirdly, finally the Songhwa's goddamned pov after such a damn long time. The thing we have been theorising for god knows how long , are finally able to watch and witness with our eyes i.e the flashback from 99 And little progress from the Song's side in the last episode to this episode .......Finally . It made me so happy that it motivated me to use all my video editing, gif making and other related skills again, that i just learnt and used for this drama last season. And also i felt like to start writing about, analyzing, again iksong scenes together.

But i am not going to write about all the scenes except for these 2 as i liked them the most.

Yo8wGCA.gif

Its the expression of SW. 

Her goddamned pov, where she is actually showing progress and budged. A slight realization on her face after their hands let go... is she reconsidering whether to pursue a romance with her best friend? Yes Ms SW........are you finally aware of your true feelings?

"Why is he playing it cool", ( i.e after holding hands) is what you are thinking???He is playing cool cause YOU marked the lines between you both and he is just respecting that line, your boundary. Then why are you shocked/ amused by his behaveiour?

And this scene.

LJmHWdY.gif

SW shocked face that Ikjun rejected her coffee. When they are always drinking together and Ikjun NEVER rejected the chance to drink coffee with her and drinking coffee with her is his happiness . Though this scene was more intended to bring comedy and he afterwards drank in it BUT STILL the little shocked face of SW is fun to watch. 

Hmmmmm.....can Ikjun give SW more little shocks here and there to wake her up plz. To make her realize she is taking him a little forgranted.  

• Like 4

is this just me OR Soompi is very slow today...taking all the time to open ....after refreshing multiple times?

Any ways.....

This is hilarious.

EX3XItd.jpg

The funny thing is this....

even KJW know about the speciality of IKSong.  He does not know it consciously because he is not the person who pay attention to his srroundings. And also not interested in people's personal matters. Hence he denied Iksun when she asked whether IKSong has some thing speacial going on.... and what was his response "NOTHING".

He knows it sub conciously and is not processing this information because if he ponders a little even, he can connect this information with the presence of special Iksong feelings. And his answer would definitely be different next time.

MS8q3Ce.jpg

No wonder... at this point i assume not only JW but also SH are aware of the special connection between IkSong.

Everyone knows about this special connection , chihong, Jeongwon, Seokhyoung, even they have official IkSong shippers in NS department Seokbin and Seokmin, even a person picked it up unconsciously, But only Songhwa, Anti IkSongers and IkJun haters are unaware of this REALITY and Of her true feelings. lol.:hwaiting2:( or may be deliberately denying ).

This reminds me 2 beautiful lines from the poetry from my national language that translate to something like this......everyone in the garden( trees, birds, butterflies, branches , critters etc etc) know who is the flower of the garden's true love except for flower itself.lol. 

And while writing these last lines another funny discovery hit me that this piece of poetry fits well with SW situation not only figuratively but also directly, as Songwha also means flower in korean. lol.

• Love 3