[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

11 hours ago, Wanderer062287 said:

Reading all of your theories about how the original script was different from what we were shown makes me feel all kinds of uneasy

Just wait a little while. Maybe the script will get published?
It'll be in Korean, and hard to translate. Machine translation is very imprecise.
I'd be curious to take a look at it. Some specific scenes, like the one where the characters arrive in the in-between world for the first time.  This was rendered in a way that is not very understandable. I'd like to see if it was clear in the script, and if it was badly done in the editing.
My impression is that the script will be faithful to the drama.
Maybe a few deleted scenes or shortened dialogue from time to time.
But the writer is influential, so I think her script will have been respected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:

@Elnin Joery See I don't know if it would be a flop though because KES had already presented the notion that there were many Gods, yet TKEM didn't flop. I mean she did explained how all the coincidences that had occurred in world of TKEM as being attributed to Yo-Yo kid who was a God. So it would be kinda naive to think that in the world of KES, there weren't other kinds of Gods like the ones that form the streams and/or the mountains. Plus in a bunch of Korean folklores/myths, there's usually not just one God, but many Gods. So I'm just continuing on that ideal in which KES had already presented in season 1. Yea I mean you could totally go the whole travel to the really far future route!! It would definitely seem exciting and quite interesting !!!! I'm just writing what I think would be more in line with KES's thought processes as as it relates to TKEM. 

I necessarily don't think the flute kid was a god or implied that he was a god but rather a magical flute who can take the body of a human whether it was the Yo-yo kid or the handsome guy. There was certainly not much of god talk or gods in that matter. 

I seen recently many kdramas or movies with such subjects flopped hard on the box office or in general it's just a taboo subject and some people tend to stay away from it when things get a confusing theology

31 minutes ago, wenchanteur said:

Just wait a little while. Maybe the script will get published?
It'll be in Korean, and hard to translate. Machine translation is very imprecise.
I'd be curious to take a look at it. Some specific scenes, like the one where the characters arrive in the in-between world for the first time.  This was rendered in a way that is not very understandable. I'd like to see if it was clear in the script, and if it was badly done in the editing.
My impression is that the script will be faithful to the drama.
Maybe a few deleted scenes or shortened dialogue from time to time.
But the writer is influential, so I think her script will have been respected.

It would be imprecise in the translation obviously and most of all shows and script or books are not the same word for Word and not even the adaptions take the same form. I would believe on before that it is not gonna be exactly identical

7 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

It would be imprecise in the translation obviously and most of all shows and script or books are not the same word for Word and not even the adaptions take the same form. I would believe on before that it is not gonna be exactly identical

I do believe that they deleted alot of scenes and did many reshoots for whatever reason and this is one of the reasons I dislike pleasing live watching audience and live-shooting drama it's just exhausting for the cast and production team. They should just completely ignore them do a pre-produced and they already know somewhat where the fans emotions lay so they just need to build upon that. They have a good solid start with this S1 now and it just needs perhaps bigger budget then last time and build upon. The potential is limitless 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

I do believe that they deleted alot of scenes and did many reshoots for whatever reason and this is one of the reasons I dislike pleasing live watching audience and live-shooting drama it's just exhausting for the cast and production team. They should just completely ignore them do a pre-produced and they already know somewhat where the fans emotions lay so they just need to build upon that. They have a good solid start with this S1 now and it just needs perhaps bigger budget then last time and build upon. The potential is limitless 

I agree on the budget part. They had a large budget last time but increasing further would be even better. 50mio USD per season expensive but worth the money 

1 minute ago, Joanna Alfson said:

I agree on the budget part. They had a large budget last time but increasing the further would be even better. 50mio USD per season expensive but worth the money 

I was not thinking 50mio USD per season that is like 50% increase of last times budget. I was thinking more like 40mio USD per season or 37-38M USD 

For those who frequent the Reddit KDrama threads, they'll be putting up a new thread later to consolidate all reviews on the show.  Still in withdrawal, so I'm excited to read the overall reviews of the series from redditors so far.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wenchanteur said:

Interesting.
But if you did that, would you change any parameters, or would you take season 1 into account 100%?
I say this because to write a season 2, you would need to have a perfect understanding of season 1, or at least rule out a relevant and logical explanation for each phenomenon.
However, this task is certainly very difficult.
You have to lay everything down flat: what are the precise rules used. Not easy for time travel, for memory stories.
There are still a lot of things for which I haven't seen any explanation anywhere, like the timestop after Lee Gon left the palace after his first time travel, with round trips. I remember that timestop persists in one world and in the other world there is none.
Whatever it is explained, there are ways to contradict, to be contradicted, etc... I notice anomalies for some of the explanations given, while at last we think we're getting to the point. I gave up on the subject because it's endless, and the flaws in the narration of the drama didn't allow me to appreciate it, which deprives me of any motivation. At a certain point, all this junk started to disappear naturally from my memory. Too much has never been shown, and there is no solid base to rely on except for speculation. I don't even know what explanation the screenwriter has, whether she unintentionally left plot-hole, and whether it's the spectators who fill in the holes.
Anyway, if you're writing a season 2, are you just going to start from the existing? And so at least find explanations that make everything that has been seen coherent, taking care not to generate new inconsistencies in the process?
There, on a drama like that, I wouldn't even take the risk of going into it, even if I liked drama. Besides, the subtlety of the process might not be perceived, because people watching the drama have difficulty understanding it. But it would be an opportunity to explain things and start again on a healthy basis.
I doubt that you will be able to contact KES. But if you do manage to contact KES, please consider contacting me to explain the process. I don't want to write to her, but it would give me a chance to find out how to contact someone else.

@wenchanteur Well for the most part, time traveling in TKEM did make sense if you looked at it from a classical physicists point of view. It all went back to my past post explaining how the flute was essentially a form of Tipler's cylinder or a portable time machine of sorts as well as how the in between place was an allusion to a wormhole which many physicists have propose to exist. Now as far as memories was concerned, I largely attributed that to the role of the deity ( aka Yo-Yo kid or a 4th dimensional being as I like to think of him as) of whom KES had introduced into TKEM. Also the whole Yo-Yo kid wiping everyone memories/reset of timeline in some ways was a reference to Novikov Self Consistency Principle. 

I think a large part of the problem with TKEM, is that there wasn't really a well put explanation for any of the characters of how time traveled work or more of a lack thereof. Again, if I hadn't taken courses in physics or quantum mechanics I would be just as confused as everyone else. Thats why long before even the last few episodes aired, I posted about how if she introduced the idea of many worlds besides KOC and ROK, I knew what she was doing. Since what she had done throughout this whole story was introduce two crazy ideas of classical physics (time traveling) and quantum mechanics (multiple worlds theory). As far as the whole notion of doppelgängers that derived from how particles can have different states (qm theory) or connecting back to the quantum mechanics view that on these multiple worlds there are multiple versions of you. She also made allusions of "quantum entanglement" between two particles to JTE/LG's "red string of fate". Haha I kept trying to tell people a long time ago in the simplest way I knew how to that they didnt need to worry about LG/JTE because their love would transcend spacetime, dimensions, and everything else in between. That was the idea KES was trying to convey through all of her references/allusions to the different theories classical physics and quantum mechanics lol. Basically in a nutshell, she used physics and quantum mechanics to add to the sci-fi part of TKEM as well as to make LG/JTE's love more epic or believable that it could happen in the real world lol.

Yea I definitely agree with you that there was a lot of plot holes to which I think probably occurred because of how TKEM was produced. Meaning, KES knew how she wanted to begin and end TKEM, but the parts in between she didnt exactly know how to write for so that it made sense in a logical/sequential manner. Given its complexities, they show could've been pre-produced as to allow time for proper editing or reshoots.

Oh goodness me, you all are acting like I will end up being a ghost writer for S2 of TKEM or something lol !!! Anyways, I would still try to continue with KES's ideas. However, I would seek to provide the main characters with a better narrative in explaining everything out. Again, the characters did not explain much lol. I would also try not to introduce any inconsistencies at all because I think its just wrong and it confuses the viewers even more! For me personally, I like to tell stuff as it is. I don't want to be coy or subtle in my dialogue especially if I'm trying to communicate something important in a limited amount of time. No one has got time to try to be guessing what you're trying to say or what you're trying to allude to, you only got a certain amount of episodes and scenes to do so....that's what I would tell KES at least lol. Wrap it up and wrap it up cleanly and dont include meaningless details that has nothing to do with the main idea you're presenting in the first place has always been my personal philosophy in my academic career. So you can be sure I would apply that same philosophy if I was ever a ghost writer for TKEM lol. 

Oh yea Ill definitely let you know if I ever manage to contact her ! 

1 hour ago, Elnin Joery said:

I necessarily don't think the flute kid was a god or implied that he was a god but rather a magical flute who can take the body of a human whether it was the Yo-yo kid or the handsome guy. There was certainly not much of god talk or gods in that matter. 

I seen recently many kdramas or movies with such subjects flopped hard on the box office or in general it's just a taboo subject and some people tend to stay away from it when things get a confusing theology

@Elnin Joery I think it was pretty much implied that Yo-Yo kid was a god and the flute was just an extension of himself. Its like the story of the moon rabbit and how the King of the Heavenly Skies aka a god had came down to earth disguised as a beggar. Or think about how LG/JTE went to pray to God that they would give JTE/LG their blessing or even the story of the flute which derived from the Korean myth that the Dragon King of the East became a sea dragon god and gave his son the flute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SweetButters said:

@Elnin Joery I think it was pretty much implied that Yo-Yo kid was a god and the flute was just an extension of himself. Its like the story of the moon rabbit and how the King of the Heavenly Skies aka a god had came down to earth disguised as a beggar. Or think about how LG/JTE went to pray to God that they would give JTE/LG their blessing or even the story of the flute which derived from the Korean myth that the Dragon King of the East became a sea dragon god and gave his son the flute.

I didn't pick up the Yo-yo kid or the flute being mentioned as god even in one stance in the entire show or could it be language barrier or translation issues because I didn't hear that mentioned at all not even once

1 hour ago, Wanderer062287 said:

I swear this drama's BGMs are among the best out there. They all sound so majestic. Cinematic quality.

Just listening to the BGMs compels me to do another rewatch (even if I'm still in the middle of one lol)

I am still disappointed that they left out so much of the great BGM in the released soundtrack.  Majority of the BGM on the soundtrack relate to LR vs. LG and it's so annoying!

• Like 2