[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

FANTASY DRAMA THE KING: ETERNAL MONARCH SETS NEW RATINGS RECORDS AND CAPTIVATES FANS

c7b425f5b79fab0dbcbcd740f6384ad264abe233

KUALA LUMPUR, April 20, 2020 - The King: Eternal Monarch premiered on April 17 and is off to a solid start with high ratings. According to Nielsen Korea, the premiere episode recorded 10.1% and 11.4%  ratings, setting a record for SBS’s highest Friday-Saturday drama premiere ratings. Rankings for best Friday-Saturday premieres on SBS include The Fiery Priest (10.4%), Vagabond (10.4%), and Hyena (10.3 %). The second episode of The King: Eternal Monarch received 8.4% and 11.6% ratings with the most-watched moment reaching 14%, hitting an all-time high for the drama.

The King: Eternal Monarch centers on Emperor Lee Gon (played by Lee Min-ho) and Detective Jung Tae-eul (played by Kim Go-eun) who live in parallel worlds and try to close the door between the worlds and protect people’s lives. The first two episodes introduced audiences to the different parallel universes and the characters living in these divergent societies. Full of intrigue, humor and swoon-worthy moments as the protagonists get to know each other while bickering constantly, here are the highlights that have got us hooked and hungry for next week’s episodes.

Read full article:

https://malaysiankpopfans.tumblr.com/post/615986988002181120/fantasy-drama-the-king-eternal-monarch-sets-new

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MYM IG update.

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

Chinguuuuzzz!! :)

I am rewatching episode 2 :relaxed:, what is the name of the singer who sings at the very beginning of the episode? I really like it. Is he an idol?

@Nikaa94 the song title is "I just Want To Stay With You" by Zion.T

i downloaded mine from spotify

• Like 6

Lee Minho Spotted Filming 'The King' on a Busy Street of Busan

201423529_1280.jpg

Actor Lee Minho was spotted filming a scene for his ongoing drama 'The King: Eternal Monarch' on a busy street located in Busan.

On April 20, multiple citizens of Busan shared photos and videos of Lee Minho, filming a scene on a street in Haeundae neighborhood of Busan.

201423527_1280.jpg

Spoiler

201423528_1280.jpg

The actor filmed his scene with his white horse 'Maximus', in the ongoing SBS drama 'The King: Eternal Monarch'.

Although hundreds of passers-by flocked the street to see Lee Minho up close, he was seen all focused on his role despite the crowd cheering for him with their phone cameras on.

201423526_1280.jpg

In the drama, Lee Minho takes on the role of the Emperor of the Korean Empire named 'Lee Gon' who tries to keep the door to an alternate reality closed.

Meanwhile, 'The King: Eternal Monarch' airs every Friday and Saturday at 10PM KST on SBS.

https://news.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?news_id=N1005756270

• Like 9

1 hour ago, SophieH said:

@Nikaa94 the song title is "I just Want To Stay With You" by Zion.T

i downloaded mine from spotify

@SophieH, I dont think its Zion's song "I just want to Be with you"

Its different with the song that was played in the end of eps 1. The song that played in the opening of eps 2 using lines like... "in your eyes... etc"

But the song is beautiful and it feels so calming

:blush:

Edited by yuiy78
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, CallieP said:

I have a question, since Lee Gon is Emperor, doesn't Emperors use the word "I" differently?  I know the Chinese Emperors use "Cham", instead of "Woh" for "I". I am sure in saguek dramas, the king or emperor use a different "I" as commoners do. So did LG do that and if he did, would JTE not notice that he speaks like royalty and not like a layman? Just wondering if someone who understands Korean, noticed that. Thanks!

I also noticed that the king does not speak at all like they usually say in South Korea. There are references to the dialect of North Korea and strange ending forms for words. And the tonality is different.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Now that’s how you start a drama! It’s already so epic and we’re only two episodes in! I’m so excited to see what happens next!

The quality of this drama is amazing. The visuals are breathtaking and the storyline is already so intense and intriguing. I felt like I was watching a movie because there was just so much good stuff happening but then remembered I was watching a drama and was so glad I’d get to watch more of this! I love how this drama has drawn me into the parallel universes too. 

So I’m guessing the girl in the rabbit jacket who LG spotted is his universes version of TE and that version can cross into our universe too cos she appeared in TE’s car. Which brings me to how she could’ve been in the car and then vanished because I don’t think TE was just seeing things.. maybe she can teleport or choose where she ends up or something when she goes through the portal seeing as LG appears to have stopped time when he travelled to our universe?

I’m also curious if DNA remains the same in both universes cos if so, that’ll trigger the fact that LG’s dad has passed away in our universe too and perhaps that allows him to meet his mum here also. Did LG’s Mum pass away in his universe too? I also wonder what LG’s mum has done after her husband and child passed away because the evil uncle wouldn’t have let her live for nothing and I wonder if she will end up helping LG. And can I just say that LJJ is doing a crazy good job playing the evil uncle. He literally has made the character so ambitious and evil, it’s so entertaining to watch. 

I also wonder if time travel will end up being incorporated into the story somehow especially if LG managed to stop time when he travelled into our world or if there will be more parallel universes because I’m convinced the person who saved LG when he was younger was the older version of himself. The stature does not appear to be TE and perhaps he was wearing TE’s police badge when he saved his younger self because in whatever world or time he was from, he is already in a relationship with TE and maybe the badge is like a good luck charm he wears sometimes? Ok I’m definitely overthinking haha but that’s what a good drama does and I can’t wait to watch more!

I’m most excited to watch LG and TE fall in love properly and I’m even more eager to see TE’s reaction when she realises LG was telling the truth the whole time. I hope she visits his world too and sees his life as the king. Something tells me a jealous TE is going to be the best thing ever.

And my goodness, it’s so good seeing LMH back on the screen. He is so handsome and is it just me, or has he become even more handsome (if that’s even possible)? He is so charismatic and just oozes charm. So much talent and charisma I can’t handle it! I’m so happy he’s back  KGE is killing it too. I’m loving her portrayal of a tough cop who just doesn’t care what people think of her. She’s got a good heart but doesn’t sweet talk and is so real. It’s so refreshing. These two are going to blow up the screen even more.

Counting down the clock until the weekend!

• Like 12
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, gtLmh0622 said:

cr as tagged

Why LMH needed the box ????  :lol::lol::lol:

Lol @gtLmh0622. He now uses the box that his partners usually step on when filming beside tall him. :lol:

The Swoon

Bratty king Lee Min-ho and tough detective Kim Go-eun | The King: Eternal Monarch Ep 2 [ENG SUB]

BTS of The King 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 12:21 AM, Ameera Ali said:

That interesting why friend detective drawing 

kingdom of Corea  on his little notes again & again  :phew:

My theory is that the murders which they are investigating are all part of Lee Rim's wrongdoings and therefore he must have encountered the emblem before. It's possible that Lee Rim or his subordinate have it engraved on some of their belongings and perhaps one of the witnesses noticed it before.iq9CcG5.png

Regarding the allegations that the production design takes inspiration in Japanese architecture and symbolism, even though I fully respect and sympathize with Koreans and their sad history, I have to say that in this case it's purely hysterical reaction of some individuals. The Corea Kingdom symbol is clearly the Imperial Seal of Korean Empire and not the Japanese Imperial Seal. Even a blind person can see that. While the pagodas and palaces are variations of historical buildings which exist in South Korea. It seems to people forget that that Korea, Japan and China share similar cultural background. I'm sad to see the people in SK can't even recognize their own culture and that the production of the drama had to apologize when they clearly did not do anything wrong and had gone out of their way to create all these designed based on Korean cultural background.

WEuYanV.png

The Imperial Seal of Korean Empire                                    The Imperial Seal of Japan

mQx5m8e.png

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

76cf6d7fgy1ge1ij6vhpij20m80dsaeh.jpg

Maximus is the real name of the white horse.
It was setting another name (Scarlett ?)  in the drama, but Maximus could not be controlled when filming, so had to use Maximus.  :lol:

Beautiful Maximus is really popular now.  :heart:

And I love how tender LMH is, Maximus must like him, in BTS, Maximus went toward him as a jealous girl. :lol:

EWHN9yWU8AEOZqy?format=jpg%26name=small&

a3d1b875gy1ge1l5q2r4dj21hc0u01l5.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 2

Interview: The cast of Netflix’s The King: Eternal Monarch unfold fantasies

Over the video call, we talked to Lee Min-ho, Kim Go-eun and the cast as they shared their thoughts on parallel universes, their characters and collaboration with writer Kim Eun-suk.

1587444968677151-The_King_14.jpg?w=1920&

Netflix presents The King: Eternal Monarch written by Kim Eun-suk  (who also authored the 2016 fantasy romance Goblin) starring Kim Go-eun, Lee Min-ho, Jung Eun-chae, Woo Do-hwan, Kim Kyung-nam and more.

This new chronicle is set in parallel universes where the characters have alter-personas in a different space-time. It tells a tale about identity and asking one question: "Will you give up on the person you are becoming and trade it with another ‘you’?"

“Kim Eun-suk writer has created enchanting parallel universes for The King,” said Kim Go-eun when asked her thoughts on the script. “The storytelling is detailed and intriguing, the characters are brought to life with every heartbeat.” 

Spoiler

1587445301845814-theking_10.jpg?w=1900&f

It was just an ordinary day on duty when inspector Jung Tae-eul and Lee Gon, the king of Kingdom of Corea, found each other in front of Gwanghwamun – from that moment on, their past and future intertwined. Together with their close ones, they are whisked into unexpected turns in life, and a future full of decisions awaits.

“To me, it is more of a heart-warming fairytale. Every character is unique in their own way, and with that, brings out the captivating chemistry between them,” said Lee Min-ho during the press conference of The King: Eternal Monarch.

Tell us more about the parallel universes and your role in The King: Eternal Monarch.

Lee Min-ho: The King is a story set in parallel universes, the characters play the part to reflect the contrast between different time and space. I put in a lot of effort to understand Lee Gon -what he's been through and where he comes from -I hope that our audience can feel the same.

Kim Go-eun: There is a great difference between Tae-eul and Luna. To bring them to life, I spent a lot of time picturing the way they talk, the energy they give off and even the way they dress. This is the first time for me to play a dual role ever since my debut, I had a lot of fun although it came with a certain level of stress. However, at the end of the day, I really enjoyed the conversations in my head between Tae-eul and Luna. 

We saw lovely chemistry between Lee Gon and Tae-eul that comes from the duality of their personalities.

Lee Min-ho: It is! Lee Gon has a science background whilst Tae-eul is a typical liberal arts major. I actually studied a lot about math and physics in order to portray this character (laughs). Lee Gon is a very grounded person, he gives definite answers and takes time to seek the truth because he really cares. It can sometimes be quite frustrating for the people around him, but he had meant every word he said.

Kim Go-eun: Tae-eul is literally the opposite of Lee Gon and there’s no way she is a science major (laughs). I don’t know how to put it into words but I can really relate to Tae-eul, like I know how she will feel and react. She is not a mindful type of person compared to Lee Gon; she listens to her intuition and brings it into action.

1587185911453331-theking_1.jpg?w=1900&fi

“I’m someone who still doesn’t believe that the earth is round.” -is this telling us something about Tae-eul?

Kim Go-eun: Rather than saying Tae-eul has a different idea on the shape of the earth, it is more about she is someone who doesn’t put a lot of value on ‘abstract belief’, in other words, something that people trust and believe even though they cannot see it before their eyes.

We all know that the earth is round, however, none of us has ever seen it for ourselves. To Tae-eul, there’s no need to think about it until she can actually see it with her own eyes.

Spoiler

1587153020851951-theking_5.jpg?w=1900&fi

Kang Shin-jae (Kim Kyung-nam) and Jung Tae-eul (Kim Go-eun)

Spoiler

1587154049971883-theking_8.jpg?w=1900&fi

Jo Young (Woo Do-Hwan) and Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho)

Do you believe in the existence of a parallel universe? 

Woo Do-hwan: It sounds quite terrifying to me, I don’t think there will only be good news from that space-time. If there's a parallel universe, I will pretend it doesn’t exist and live on with my life, (pauses) but if anyone wants to bring me along, I don't mind going and maybe looking for the other 'me' there. But again, it intimidates me with overwhelming emotions, thinking that there's another person who looks exactly the same as me living a better or worse life than me.

Jung Eun-chae: I don’t really believe in the existence of a parallel universe, but I did imagine it. I wondered how would it be like to have another world different from the one I am living in.

Kim Kyung-nam: I don't think there's a parallel universe, but I did imagine it during the filming of The King. It is actually quite fun to have another 'me' from a different universe, I can hang out with this person, and if everything goes well, maybe we can switch for a few days living each other’s life. 

Spoiler

1587153816280019-theking_6.jpg?w=1900&fi

Gu Seo-ryeong (Jung Eun-chae)

1587147978597403-theking_3.jpg?w=1900&fi

Lee Gon (Lee Min-ho)

It has been more than ten years since you played your first role, do you have any thoughts on the rise of Korean TV and film production over the past decade?

Lee Min-ho: Much like I didn’t have any idea that I will still be an actor after ten years since my debut, I think that’s also the same for the fact that we don’t really know where was the turning point of Korean content.

It is now a cultural icon and just being able to take part in this industry as well as working with all the amazing talents, is a wonderful experience for me. And now because of working with Netflix, we are able to reach out to a wider audience, I really can’t wait to show our works to people from different parts of the world.

https://www.lofficielmalaysia.com/personalities/interview-netflix-the-king-eternal-monarch-drama-kim-go-eun-lee-min-ho-cast

• Like 16
  • Love 2

57 minutes ago, briseis said:

My theory is that the murders which they are investigating are all part of Lee Rim's wrongdoings and therefore he must have encountered the emblem before. It's possible that Lee Rim or his subordinate have it engraved on some of their belongings and perhaps one of the witnesses noticed it before.

15874711081587471079.gif

15874713941587471383.gif

Yes I think too it’s Lee Rim crime, he probably using this weapon , he told child you holding something you shouldn’t be holding, as if it was important weapon. 

15874715071587471503.gif

but not sure anyone witnessed it , I think he just drawing it in his note book from his memory without realising it . 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

41 minutes ago, Sejabin said:

You are so right :kiss_wink: 

btw I am curious why it should be like this. Being in parallel universe. Why it is not just 1 world like we all know. 

But perhaps questions like these should’t have to come because this is just the setting. Because there are values that we must to see like, killing your brothers, your family, and etc..

or from the romance side like .. as a king you can love someone not important.

So the meaning of WuXia is fantasy? :rolleyes: btw if it is like WuXia then we don’t need the questions. It is the setting and we Just need to follow the story ^_*

I love the way you phrase it! It is the setting and we just need to follow the story. If a drama involves fantasy, I’m afraid we will never find logic if we try to search for it. 

But, if you’re up for it, many worlds theory is an actual thing. I can never wrap my head around it and have decided I will never believe in it until proven otherwise. I’m much more JTE than I am LG. 

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

to make u more confuse heheheh it can actually have more than just parallel.....

we do not know for sure that there is only 2 dimension or 2 'Sejabin' in 2 different universe :D hehehehe or maybe we should call it dimension .....maybe we have more than just 2 dimension ;) 

yea u can say it pure 'fantasy' or 'WuXia' :D 

AND we may have time traveling :D

I’m most excited to watch LG and TE fall in love properly and I’m even more eager to see TE’s reaction when she realises LG was telling the truth the whole time. I hope she visits his world too and sees his life as the king. Something tells me a jealous TE is going to be the best thing ever.

@J13 I can feel your energy and I’m loving it! You spoke everything that’s going through my head but I just wanted to echo how eager I am to see JTE’s reaction when she finds out this “completely crazy wannabe king“ was telling the truth. It’s going to be hilarious! 

—————————————

@syntyche I can really see their height difference behind the scenes! It’s the cutest thing ever!! Would love to see BTS of their bickering scenes, can’t wait! 

I’m also wondering whether they’ll be doing Swoon interviews. I wish they would! 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Sejabin said:

You are so right :kiss_wink: 

btw I am curious why it should be like this. Being in parallel universe. Why it is not just 1 world like we all know. 

@Sejabin , @angelangie it’s parallel universe 

to show us rich to Rags   :joy:
# what A journey from his face on money to I don’t have a penny :D

5e9efab8e3cf6269032347.jpg?download

15874774271587477422.gif

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

But in this drama I will just follow writer nim ‘imagination’ :wub: 

It will be easy for oppa if everyone like you :kiss_wink:

oppa future queen can’t believe on the earth is round:mrgreen:, just how many kiss & hugs before she believe :D

15874797531587479746.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1