[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

45 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

Prisoner of Azkaban theorists were correct,

Apologies for the ~seemingly consecutive posts huhu. But regarding this, in Prisoner of Azkaban there are basically two timelines and two sets of HP and Hermione. Set 1 leaves to go to the past, does the deed, and goes back in time to reunite with Set 2 Ron, before Set 2 HP and Hermione leaves to go back to the past. So essentially all the HPs and Hermiones are interacting with Ron from a different timeline. No memories are being revised.

However I think what complicates things here in TKEM is that the memories are being changed, so essentially Current and Past LG are both dealing with Ta Eul from the same timeline. If we are to follow Prisoner of Azkaban, our Ta Eul isn't supposed to have these revised memories of LG visiting her in the past: that's supposed to be for the Ta Eul who will be with Past LG. How are things gonna be now that we have one Ta Eul, one Past LG, and one Current LG making his way back to the present all in one timeline?

Also since our current Ta Eul already has memories of meeting Past LG, what happened in their first meeting? Was he arrested? Was she taken to his world? Did they have chicken? I mean all these things could have been altered soooo much.

Or could it be that our Ta Eul has these revised memories only because of some sort of cosmological residues from her selves in other timelines (I have no idea), some sort of a deja vu, but she didn't actually live these memories. She just has the memories as some sort of echoes or remnants from another timeline, but it's not her memories, hence we are still really dealing with two sets of LG/JTE?

Oh. My. God. What did I just type I hope someone understands because I cant even understand myself right now :bawling:

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2

Epi 14 is indeed very sad. I cried, let me be clear on that.  But I cannot help but laugh  with the irony of the following --

1. Luna & PM both want the flute - instead of LG & LR, we now have the two female antagonists gunning for the flute?
  2. LR further thumping on the already dead future LR -- he really is a sore loser, noh?
  3. LG's doppelganger mom (I keep forgetting her name) - having a ttête-à-tête with Yoyo Kid, really? In that dark alley?
  • Like 8
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

Something has to change and Time travel needs to be done again, Episode 1-13 LR if always gets up being killed by 94 LR, then Flute can never Join, WORLDS are not balanced still !! AND GATE Is still Opened.

We atleast have 3 sets of dopplegangers in ROK.

JY-ES

JTE-LUNA

SJ-HM

Dopplegangers need not to be killed they can stay in the same world. BUT past LR has been warned by episode 13 LR, PAST LR can change something while swapping leading to more weird swaps or more disbalance which may lead LG and JTE to travel back further to stop LR existence or soemthing on those lines maybe.

But one thing for sure PAST LR is alive, HE IS THE ONE or another timeline one who gets interrogated by JTE/Luna and SJ.

Another Q.

JTE has a NEW ID. What date is that now? Lol.

Her nov 2019 ID should be with Upgraded LG.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

Me reading live recaps : Confused

Me after watching Ep14 on Netflix : Confused is an understatement.

Here's a little theory I have since we saw Ji Hun live. LG is gonna do another time travel. To save JH. Then, somehow, JTE will time travel with LG and that will explain how both we're in like vintage times. 

Then what would happen to the many extra versions of LG? Easy. One for me and rest for the lot of you. -:-D

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

12 minutes ago, madmad min said:

Point being it has not been 4 months for JTE but a month at max what I suspect.

You have explained it for me. Thank you. That helps.

Btw we have Luna and PM wanting the flute too... i wonder how that will cook out... though why would PM want it is still not clear for. An exotic product? A novelty? What? To not grow old... now that sounds like a reason :)

ohh and without the flute how is LG able to go to the different worlds? He says that the flute has got more cracks but he doesnt have it now! Please explain theorists!

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Thoughts after watching ep 14:

• We only have 2 episodes left, I really don't know how everything is going to wrapped up in time. Since ep 15 is going to be lengthened, I hope 16 will be lengthened as well. I am glad some of the open ends got wrapped up in this episode. I've always wondered where Lee Sang Do's wife went since Jangmi couldn't find her and her kids. 

• It was painful to see LG stuck in the past having to travel 26 years to get back to JTE. I love that he leaves new memories for JTE as a way of communication, and also asks her to be kinder to him and spend more time with him when they meet again at Gwanghwamun now that he knows their time together is limited. With her new memories where JTE hugs LG first, I hope we get to see how this changes their subsequent relationship.

• It seems LG and LR wasn't able to change anything by going back in time. The sikjeok was still broken in 2, the ROK murders still happened. I think we will see LG go back in time again, that is where the 2nd pair of shoes will appear. The 2 pair of shoes are definitely different, one has a star embossed on the sides while the other was just plain black canvas shoes. I doubt this was an error.

Things I didn't understand:

1. When both LG and LR were in that in-between place, the photo of JTE on LR's side fell to the floor and burned. There was sprouting of leaves, which I assume are the seeds JTE planted. Why did the photo sink to the ground (non-living thing), why did it burn (no air) and why does it cause the seeds to sprout (no light)? Is it because both halves of the flutes was in the space at the same time? I totally did not understand this scene. It's strange that it was planted at LG's side but it sprouted at LR's side. LR must be very confused everytime he travel between worlds, like what is this plant doing here?

2. Why was yoyo kid talking to LJH's mom? Why was she even squatting in an alley for a smoke, talking to a kid and her bodyguard was not doing anything? Is yoyo kid going to save her? We see after that she's passed out on her bodyguard's back and they are bringing here away from the gas-lighted apartment. Where are they going, and why did LG ask JY to look for her?

3. This LG that we see in ep 14 going back in time is the LG that we have been watching for the past 14 episodes. It seems this is the first time LG is going back in time, that's why JTE originally didn't have memories of meeting him when she was 5 and 26 (in 2016). It's also why she treated him as a nutcase when she met him at Gwanghwamun in ep 1. Then where did the saviour he met in ep 1 come from? Why does he need to leave the rabbit hoodie for Luna and give her the access card to the race track? All these already happened in ep 1. Ep 14 just looks like a self fulfilling prophecy - LG experienced all this in the past so he makes it happen now as well. How did everything start in the first place? What sort of confusing timeloop is this? My very liberal arts brain cannot comprehend the logic of this. I always assumed there should be an original timeline, before LG's intervention. 

Sidenotes:

• Can JTE stop drowning the magic lily seeds in water? Seeds do not grow just because you keep spamming them with water, and I'm not sure if the flute can save rotting seeds.

• JY is still being a little b to JTE. He had ONE job, to protect his king. His king got poisoned. His king gave him ONE job while he goes away, to protect JTE. JTE gets stabbed. Is the sword unbreakable simply because it never gets used at important times?

This post is too long....how do I hide portions of text? I only see spoiler and quote options available.

• Like 7
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

You can say I am somewhat of Sci-fi geek I can tell you that this is a GEM. I am really impressed I didn't thought KES had this in her. I understand everything and how things hang together. 

KES deserves my ultimate respect for this she is seriously an amazing writer. This is inception level and you could see from the get go she was striving for perfectionism and early on her own level of high elevation and perfectionism was her own enemy since she was very ambitious but you can see when someone strives for perfectionism and really put in the work they tend to shine no matter what and thats exactly what is happening here. She is revolutionizing Kdramas and the story arc itself was vast and had multiple story arcs

• Like 15
  • Love 5
  • Awesome 3

I cant get my head of from tonite episode. So, I'm watching it now the 2nd time before sleeping. Let my sleep fill with happy dream. 

My wish, our OTP will have their happy ending in KOC. There's no such thing living in separate world. 

How long Luna got? She is dying rite? So, r their going to make it as JTE died in ROK. Dun.. dun.. dun.. 

Luna poisoned LG, but he live. she stabbed JTE, she lived too..  I dont think her intentions was to kill them but punishing them for getting what she didnt have. She was jealous n feeling unfair. 

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

6 hours ago, Wanderer062287 said:

1. If 2020 LL already went back to the past and got killed by 1994 LL, this means we no longer have an LL in the current timeline? So who are his minions still working for? Also whats gonna happen now with all the switched doppelgangers?

2. Why did the manpasomething fade?

3. If the manpasomething already faded in lg's hands (when he went back to the past), how has he been able to travel back and forth?

1. We still have LL in the current timeline who is 1994 LL. Since 1994 LL did not believe 2020 LL, he will continue with his plan, fail and be the LL that we have now.

2. My guess is that the flute vanished from the hands of 1994 LL cos he killed 2020 LL.  Latter is from the future.  So if 2020 LR ceases to exist, then his flute also ceases to exist. 

3. No, the flute did not fade from LG's hands.  Remember what he told TE during his 2016 visit - ""I cannot come to see you in every point in time because the cracks of the M are deepening"

• Like 9

3 hours ago, violet.ears said:

Spoiler

Things I didn't understand:

1. When both LG and LR were in that in-between place, the photo of JTE on LR's side fell to the floor and burned. There was sprouting of leaves, which I assume are the seeds JTE planted. Why did the photo sink to the ground (non-living thing), why did it burn (no air) and why does it cause the seeds to sprout (no light)? Is it because both halves of the flutes was in the space at the same time? I totally did not understand this scene. It's strange that it was planted at LG's side but it sprouted at LR's side. LR must be very confused everytime he travel between worlds, like what is this plant doing here?

2. Why was yoyo kid talking to LJH's mom? Why was she even squatting in an alley for a smoke, talking to a kid and her bodyguard was not doing anything? Is yoyo kid going to save her? We see after that she's passed out on her bodyguard's back and they are bringing here away from the gas-lighted apartment. Where are they going, and why did LG ask JY to look for her?

3. This LG that we see in ep 14 going back in time is the LG that we have been watching for the past 14 episodes. It seems this is the first time LG is going back in time, that's why JTE originally didn't have memories of meeting him when she was 5 and 26 (in 2016). It's also why she treated him as a nutcase when she met him at Gwanghwamun in ep 1. Then where did the saviour he met in ep 1 come from? Why does he need to leave the rabbit hoodie for Luna and give her the access card to the race track? All these already happened in ep 1. Ep 14 just looks like a self fulfilling prophecy - LG experienced all this in the past so he makes it happen now as well. How did everything start in the first place? What sort of confusing timeloop is this? My very liberal arts brain cannot comprehend the logic of this. I always assumed there should be an original timeline, before LG's intervention. 

Sidenotes:

• Can JTE stop drowning the magic lily seeds in water? Seeds do not grow just because you keep spamming them with water, and I'm not sure if the flute can save rotting seeds.

• JY is still being a little b to JTE. He had ONE job, to protect his king. His king got poisoned. His king gave him ONE job while he goes away, to protect JTE. JTE gets stabbed. Is the sword unbreakable simply because it never gets used at important times?

•  

1. Most Probably LG and LR both stood on the point where JTE picture was hanging , 2 halves of flute were calling for each other and Hence AIR and water or whatever element got activated since flute was at the same place , Hence the seeds also sprouted (They all are aligned at one place but with different capabilities and in Mirror Image to each other. Photo burnt on LR's side, Seeds sprouted on LG's side)(I said it gave me xianxia feels lol)

2. Wait till tomorrow, A mom has some part to play alas!

3. Watch Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban, the Ep1 and today's episode will be much clear. :D

JTE is obsessed over the plant because She wants to believe there is a WAY for LeeEul to unite despite the UNIVERSAL Odds, the plant is her Thread of hope. IRL people hold on to things which gives them some hope. For TE it's the plant. :)

JY I AM WAITING FOR LADY Noh's PLAN!!!!!

Edited by Jillia
Quote too long
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

14 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

Also since our current Ta Eul already has memories of meeting Past LG, what happened in their first meeting? Was he arrested? Was she taken to his world? Did they have chicken? I mean all these things could have been altered soooo much.

Exactly what I want to know. Thanks for writing that!!

11 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

But I cannot help but laugh  with the irony of the following --

Dadooo (me too.)

LR is soooo OMG. It is because of LR still escaping that I wonder if this is where this story is suggesting a loop?

I really liked this episode :)

@madmad min past LR still doesnt know that LG future travelled to save himself. The future LR only told past LR kill the 8 year old child he will destroy your plans. He forgot that LR doesnt like children (ref @bebebisous33 's post about LR and children) so his past self would never believe him.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

Y'all, can we please talk about what a STUPID MOFO Lee Lim is.  Good GOD!

If LL always went back to the Night of Treason, then he's an idiot because he knows that he murders himself yet can't figure out how to say or do ANYTHING to appeal to his younger self.  Even Steve Rogers in Endgame knew the exact weakness that would stop 2011 Steve Rogers in his tracks and allow him a win.  LL, you can pick apart ANY weakness for anybody else, and you do this.  YOU CLOWN!  If he's known for however many years it's been that he kills himself and that starts him on this path, then do something about it!  Kill your past self instead and then go figure this mess out yourself!  Why did YOU not go kill bb Lee Gon?  HE'S RIGHT THERE! 

However, if he always meant to go back as a sacrifice to set off past LL on his murderous ragey path, then eeeh.  Not a great plan still.  But I could allow that.  But how DUMB are you?

Also, very poetic that 94 LL slashed his throat like he attempted to do to bb LL.  The true loser.

• Like 5
  • LOL 15
  • Insightful 3

1 minute ago, Dramafreak said:

@madmad min past LR still doesnt know that LG future travelled to save himself. The future LR only told past LR kill the 8 year old child he will destroy your plans. He forgot that LR doesnt like children (ref @bebebisous33 's post about LR and children) so his past self would never believe him.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, BUT THIS EXISITING PAST LR has to remember his Future LR;s words he said the crown prince Will be the one to fail your coup. HE did, even if he did not believe then , he has to NOW at some level to be precautious or Kill LG earlier than expected, Unless the memory completely vanishes from his mind. (Cue Upgraded LG is still alive to cross the Portal and meet JTE )

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

1. We still have LL in the current timeline who is 1994 LL. Since 1994 LL did not believe 2020 LL, he will continue with his plan, fail and be the LL that we have now.

But in our current timeline, the 1994 LL 'grew old' to be the 2020 LL who went back to the past and got killed by his past self. However, the 1994 LL that the 2020 LL went back to is supposed to have his own timeline (the timeline that would move before ours; same timeline as the bb lg that our current lg saved), where he would wreak havoc. But as far as we are concerned in our timeline, we're not supposed to have an LL anymore right?

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

Y'all, can we please talk about what a STUPID MOFO Lee Lim is.  Good GOD!

If LL always went back to the Night of Treason, then he's an idiot because he knows that he murders himself yet can't figure out how to say or do ANYTHING to appeal to his younger self.  Even Steve Rogers in Endgame knew the exact weakness that would stop 2011 Steve Rogers in his tracks and allow him a win.  LL, you can pick apart ANY weakness for anybody else, and you do this.  YOU CLOWN!  If he's known for however many years it's been that he kills himself and that starts him on this path, then do something about it!  Kill your past self instead and then go figure this mess out yourself!  Why did YOU not go kill bb Lee Gon?  HE'S RIGHT THERE! 

However, if he always meant to go back as a sacrifice to set off past LL on his murderous ragey path, then eeeh.  Not a great plan still.  But I could allow that.  But how DUMB are you?

Also, very poetic that 94 LL slashed his throat like he attempted to do to bb LL.  The true loser.

If future LL kills past LL he will vanish right away so future LL can't kill past LL or otherwise he will vanish into thin air 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 5

4 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

But in our current timeline, the 1994 LL 'grew old' to be the 2020 LL who went back to the past and got killed by his past self. However, the 1994 LL that the 2020 LL went back to is supposed to have his own timeline (the timeline that would move before ours; same timeline as the bb lg that our current lg saved), where he would wreak havoc. But as far as we are concerned in our timeline, we're not supposed to have an LL anymore right?

Technically Yes in Current JTE'S life LR is also not present, Unless The Loop events are changed by LR's end. The FLUTE is still is disintegrated, It has to JOIN or LG will keep on being summoned.

FEB 2020 LR being interrogated by JTE/SJ scene is the clue and also broken FLUTE.There is atleast 2  more Time Travel 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3