[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

4 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

The way I think of it is, it's always been 1 timeline, so when OUR LG reaches the time when the loop starts, he will just exist as the only LG. His half of the flute will also exists as the only half of the flute. He is not the same entity during the time when JTE hugged him or during whichever past events when he visited her because the timeline had not reached the start of the loop yet. So to that timeline he existed as 'future' LG. In other words, the LG who visited JTE during the end of episode 10 is the same LG as OUR current LG. 

Prisoner of Azkaban theorists were correct, basically LG and LL went back to the designated spot, and they live simultaneously with their past counterparts.  This is going to have to be confirmed tomorrow because it'll be shot to pieces if we have multiple LG's running around.  In POA, the rule was that Harry and Hermione HAD to be back to the moment and place that they activated the time machine.  They only went back a few hours, and replaced their past selves, because their past selves went back in time.  So while the past selves are looping, Harry and Hermione continued on in real time.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

11 minutes ago, mychoiyoung said:

Can't believe KES actually did a LAKE HOUSE on us with that phone booth segment with TE & LG.  Anyone familiar with this 2006 movie?  It stars Keannu Reeves & Sandra Bullock. But instead of a phone booth, they reached to each other via mail box -- not email but a literal mail box.  

The film is a remake of the South Korean motion picture Il Mare (2000) but I was not able to see the original.

Yes!! I loved Lovved LAKE House, that's why the scene seemed familiar!!! They contacted via same day different YEAR!!! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, heatherf said:

During time travel, Why LG didn’t show up in front of his adult self and drop clues?

Because "awful things happen to kings who meddle with time."

If he meets with his past self it will cause harm to his future self (example look at what happened to LL).

Leaving the clues for JTE & JY didn't mess up their "present" timelime his was cutting into. He was just putting into motion what he already knows has happened.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

The way I think of it is, it's always been 1 timeline, so when OUR LG reaches the time when the loop starts, he will just exist as the only LG. His half of the flute will also exists as the only half of the flute. He is not the same entity during the time when JTE hugged him or during whichever past events when he visited her because the timeline had not reached the start of the loop yet. So to that timeline he existed as 'future' LG. In other words, the LG who visited JTE during the end of episode 10 is the same LG as OUR current LG. 

This is what I think as well.  

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, briseis said:

LG'S FLUTE HAS NOT VANISHED, IT'S ONLY GRADUALLY FALLING APART SO HE STILL HAS IT and can travel between the worlds but he can't stay long because it makes the cracks deeper so he needs to stay inside the in-between most of the time.  LR's half was seen disappearing, while LG's flute is only cracking.

Thank you for this explanation!!! I rewatched the scene and yes it didn't show that LG's half vanished! Phewww that was close

Do you think his flute will continue cracking and will vanish only when the LG that he saved has already caught up to him? (Bcos there cant be more than 1 manpasikjeok at a time)

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Wanderer062287 said:

A couple of thoughts though:

1. If 2020 LL already went back to the past and got killed by 1994 LL, this means we no longer have an LL in the current timeline? So who are his minions still working for? Also whats gonna happen now with all the switched doppelgangers?

2. Why did the manpasomething fade?

3. If the manpasomething already faded in lg's hands (when he went back to the past), how has he been able to travel back and forth?

I had similar thoughts while watching today's episode.

1. Yes there is no Lee lim that we saw for may be 4 months? Since LG said that approx after 4 months inside that tunnel he will be able to go to 2020 i.e current timeline for us viewers. So that means next Lee lim would catch up with his life of the future self  that he killed . 

2. Manpasikjeok faded because  it can exist only as 1 ( 2 halves) . So as past counterparts of next timeloop got new one half each the old ones faded. 

3. I think he is staying in between place where he is just coming out to meet TE or jo yeong as he pleases  LOL

Me before Today's episode : oh I will get some answers and clarity.

Me after today's episode: huh? I will get some answers and clarity in next episode right?:joy:

Also today there are so many questions and thoughts:

1. Jo yeong:

Spoiler

for some reason I never completely liked him and after today's episode I just don't care about him LOL.

For few moments I literally thought that LG lost his half flute because JY didn't get it from his coat?! Glad that it was not stolen.

He trusted JTE's phone no and the doctor she sent but not her?! May be should have just brought eun who's sister , she would have recognised if that person his JTE/ not.

2. JTE-Luna:

Spoiler

Didn't JTE told eun sup , his siblings to stay together with her father? So how did Luna managed to spend time with them? Didn't JTE give her new no. to her father and nari?!

3. LG- JTE

Spoiler

So now what I am confused abt this time travelling is that everyone who have interacted with LG (whose journey we saw) are getting new memories and now he has turned suspect in ROK because of his 1st phone call right ? So  she may have NOT arrested him during their first meeting? (because they didn't meet on the wrong note) . Also looks like new JTE got that sad premonition abt  their fate way earlier and similar to the premonition than the JTE (we know) got it in episode 10.

4. New-old LG

Spoiler

Now that there is new LG does that mean the old LG whose story that WE followed will vanish into thin air? Because clearly all others are still one person since their memories are changing but here we see that there is LG who is visiting Tae eul when there is LG in KOC who didn't know about other universe  before crossing the door.

5. Lee lim

Spoiler

Did Lee lim just kill his future by killing his future self?:D

6. PM KOO

Spoiler

Will PM koo follow the some what similar path of Lee lim i.e greed and over confidence and ruin herself?:D

For now the only difference btw her and Lee lim is that she seems to care for her mother and to some extent even for her secretary LOL By the way she is one smartass , she kept the code word btw her- mother. (I am looking at LG-JTE, you both should have done that :P)

7. Sin jae

Spoiler

So did the writer build up his backstory to show how Lee lim got his care-center?:sweatingbullets: she could have shown that in few scenes and instead shown a little bit more about jo yeong and PM Koo :unsure:

8. Entire Flute

Spoiler

Looks like all those vintage type spoiler pics will happen after LG gets whole flute. So my question is he would still not interfere where lady noh is brought to KOC since if that happens she would be in NK in present time ROK and he won't be able to meet her :P

Since I smell happy ending what if they (LG-JTE) after their marriage took lady Noh to her past so that she can just look at her parents and siblings because LG had that whip.:lol: 

9. Other thoughts/ questions? :joy:

Spoiler

So the entire police team knows about the doppleganglers? Because they were searching about care-center and Lee Lim's gang.

So sin jae finally found someone besides  his team trustworthy i.e his psychiatrist. Looks he is not that dependent on JTE that we/ he himself thought.:)

P.S I am a LOSER. :joy:

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, AgentQuake said:

Prisoner of Azkaban theorists were correct, basically LG and LL went back to the designated spot, and they live simultaneously with their past counterparts.  This is going to have to be confirmed tomorrow because it'll be shot to pieces if we have multiple LG's running around.  In POA, the rule was that Harry and Hermione HAD to be back to the moment and place that they activated the time machine.  They only went back a few hours, and replaced their past selves, because their past selves went back in time.  So while the past selves are looping, Harry and Hermione continued on in real time.

That's how I pictured it. Even though I got the polling wrong, this part I got right. I do think OUR LG is staying in the in between to let the loop go faster in his part so he can speed up the process on the time outside to go back to the start/end of the loop. That's when he will exist as the only LG again.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 2

Yeong's supposed to protect the King

-the King was poisoned

Yeong was supposed to protect TE

-TE was stabbed

ES is definitely better than Yeong #imjustsaying

BTW, I won. If only I can figure out how to change the dp. I had to google to find out what on earth is dp, guys :sweatingbullets:

• Like 2
  • LOL 21

4 hours ago, Heretorant said:

THIS is my problem with episode 14. Could have been perfect! But why did they show the flute vanishing?! He needs the flute to open the gate! Smh.

But, but, but it follows the rules. Half the flute only creates one axis. You need the whole flute to create 2 axis so he can only travel linearly with half. That is, if he has half the flute. I have my own problem with that but it’s a different issue. 

Agree with you. How can he pass the obelisk? Without the flute there was no obelisk.

And now im confused, what is the point of replacing people from 2 worlds? Somehow it has no meaning now? Imo nothing really bad happens because of it now? Or maybe not revealed yet? Gosh i need this drama to ends to find the answer but not ready at the same time :( 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmad min said:

4. If Manpasikjeok vanished in 94 ROK, How was LG able to travel back to KOC in 2019 to rowing event

LG's flute did not vanish.  As he told TE,  "I cannot come to see you in every point in time because the cracks of the M are deepening"

@Heretorant

• Like 16
  • Awesome 2
  • Insightful 1

17 minutes ago, Emmy Nur'aenny said:
15 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

26 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

I thought he 'lost' about 4 months.. Because he came from 1994..and stay in "in between" place for 4 months and back to taeul. 

So tae eul didn't see him about 4 months. 

Is not?? 

@koreaboooo  Yes because again OUR LG when he reaches EPISODE 14 POINT where he went inside 0-1 Passage, Upgraded Memory LG entered the passage, OUR LG is back on the spot, Kinda like @AgentQuake explained similar to what POA in HP had.But this LG in should not have the entire HALF of flute , he should posses the Cracked MANPASIKJEOK.

@Emmy Nur'aenny It has not been 4 months in OUR JTE's timeline from what I understand. It could have been a week at most perhaps. 4 months is for OUR LG who is travelling in PAST TIME. JTE is in current time LG is in Past.

So Lets take like this.

Memory of Current JTE (end of Episode 14) --->>Past of current timeline year 2019

Upgraded LG ------->>Past of current timeline year 2019

OUR LG --------->>>Last seen in Past of current Timeline in KOC in CURRENT JY's memory, before Upgraded LG and PAST JTE met in 2019.

Current JTE------->>Stabbed and in 2020 April or MAY 

Current Timeline we have only JTE who is stabbed, NONE OF THE LG are there, as Upgraded LG should have gone back in wormhole passage to past and OUR LG should be coming back to the day when JTE is stabbed a bit later like tomorrow's episode.

Point being it has not been 4 months for JTE but a month at max what I suspect.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Insightful 2

Short review part 1:

The time travelling timeline

After saving himself in the murder night of 1994. He goes back and forth from bamboo forest to ROK to get LR from escaping.

Dec 20 1994
He saw his younger self in mourning white gown through the tv store.

Dec 22 1994
Voice over "the time axis can only be formed when the manoasikjeok become whole. I have to travel through 26 years to get to 2020. That roughly four months inside the inter-dimensional gate."

He met 5 year old JTE to tell her he's on his way back to her. Aww.. how could he make this scene felt so heartbreaking and beautiful. Love this part a lot.

She said "I know who you are" and he replied "you know me?"
"Yes, you're a kidnapper"

hahaha. Like LG said. She's really like herself, JTE"

For the whole 26 time-travel he did, he finally managed to get into the right moment of the night murder and did every possible efforts to stop LR from repeating the tragedy and even making things more chaotic than ever. From her I would like to think that the flute is not fully powerful to undo what LR's has done or doing. So I bet that moment the flute/manpasikjeok become whole again. I guess that moment will bring us to the first scene where JTE and SJ arrested LR. And the slightest changes that LG has made, make a phone call, reveal himself to past lady Noh and shot his traitor cousin (son of prince Buyeong) to stop him helping LR escape smoothly. Even so LR still arrived in ROK and succeed in killing the whole Lee's family except the wife (LJH's mom). Before LR goes further LG is still trying to catch him. And he needs the flute to be one again to make his effort works differently than before.

This drama doesn't do just one or two cfs they even do tourism promotion. I hope covid 19 will end soon. I have to visit Korea, this bamboo forest will be one of my destination trip. Then having some chickens and buy some super soft yummy roll cake of ES's favorite. Ah.. that would be so wonderful! I'll skip MSD since it's not good for my health. No alcohol for me but a drink from Nari's coffee shop will do. Ah. They really make a great cfs all the way. It's a compliment not an insult, I mean it and I made it very clear here. 

I am not done yet, hahaha... I keep moving backward for some scenes I like and write some thoughts before I forget it later. Well, brb with part 2 later. Hahaha. 

• Like 11
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AgentQuake said:
Spoiler

#ImmabeheadedLoser

How many collective hours did we all spend rewatching episode 1, measuring LMH's useless leggies, counting the number of bullets, measuring the angle at which he was shooting, and STARE AT THE SHOES.  I feel like they did this on purpose, I always said there would be some sort of fake out but it turns out the fake out was just us.  We are CLOWNS.

Anyways, really good episode and it tied up a big chunk of the story from 1-13.  We still have a lot of plot points though to hit though, and some bizarre issues that always come up with time travel.

Poison: WTF kind of poison is this?  Hydroxycloroquine?  Or was it the Captain America super serum?  The man got poisoned, treated in some random clinic for like, 12 hours, and then was up and doing flippies and shooting people hours later.  Can I get some of that?  I'm shocked they didn't show him chugging ginseng packages before he went a-shootin'.

Night of Treason: I do not wish to speak about the shooting scene.  Every moment SJ didn't show up was like stab to the side, JTE style.  I loved loved loved the extras we got, from LL being his own worst enemy, to Lady Noh's past basically being resolved with two sentences. 

SJ's dad - His parents officially win worst parents award.  They swapped their son with a healthy model, and then stuck the other one in a care center for 25 years???

JTE: GIRL SHE JUST POISONED YOUR BOYFRIEND.  WHY DID YOU NOT ARM YOURSELF WITH AN AK47 AND WREAK HAVOC ON HER?  WOT IS YOU DOING??????  I get it.  You haven't seen your hot piece of Kingly azz for 4 months, I would be upset too. BUT WHAT IS HAPPENING.  CALL JO YEONG.  CALL SHIN JAE.  Isolate Luna yes, but make sure YOU ARE NOT ISOLATED I can't with this girl I can't.  What is the game plan with Luna?  Why do we need to talk to her?  She threatened to kill you and then she DID kill your boyfriend, for all intents and purposes.  He was lucky to survive, despite the poison basically being like...dish soap.  Also if it's been about 4 months, were they just swapping back and forth parent trap style???  How did no one take her out for FOUR MONTHS?

Time Loop:

Big blab on time travel

Hide contents

OKAY.  So since basically everything I watch involve some sort of time travel, I will say that she tried VERY hard to make it work.  And it mostly did.   Mostly. 

The Pros:

• We still have OUR Jeong Tae Eul, albeit with some upgrades.  The JTE that smacked LG around for months is still alive.  The JTE that lived all of these experiences is still alive.  But the JTE that LG visited and loved for 25 years is also still alive.  Making for one upgraded and enhanced JTE.  Who apparently still walked straight into a knife.  But I digress.
  • Good work on only having LG wait through 4 months.  It may seem like a lifetime for him, but it's a much better alternative than waiting 25 years, and showing up as a crumbly old geezer to JTE.  I mean, I still would.  His scenes with the bb JTEs were so sweet, and I love that she actually took it to heart.  It's actually a really nice play on their honesty thing - he DID show up exactly as he said he would, and proved to her right away he was right.

The Con:

• Didn't the flute...disappear?  He was going back and forth with it, but then it...vanished.  So how on Earth did he continue going back and forth?
  • This was a con, but now I guess it's a pro.  I haven't decided, next episode will make up my mind for me.  The first two meetings had minimal impact on the timeline.  She had him in her life, but at any time, but the natural course of her life was not disrupted from the original timeline.  However, when they met in 2019, she's SKIPPING the entire first chunk of their relationship.  At first I thought about how there's no way the butterfly effect wouldn't come into play here.  But then I realized, present bleeding JTE now just lives with two sets of memories in her head.  Her original memories from the smacky yelly timeline, and now the one where they skipped straight to the love.
  • Here's where things will get...weird.  And I'm waiting to see what will happen tomorrow.  There's still only one JTE.  A JTE with two timelines in her head, but ultimately, still just JTE.  But what about LG?  I think all of the Prisoners of Azkaban theorists are correct - original time traveling LG will replace the new timeline LG?  But does new LG just vanish?   I NEED TOMORROW.

Imma need Yeong to step up here.  COME ON BOY.  I absolutely support and understand his hesitation with JTE/Luna.  He doesn't know her well enough to tell the difference - hell, even her dad can barely do it.  Only LG can tell which one is his JTE just by looking at her mico-expressions.  But dude...if PM can figure out the safe word system with her mother after like, 2 days of this, then YOU CAN DO!!  Punch her in the face and give her a recognize bruise if you have to.  DO SOMETHING.

My sentiments exactly. Yeongieeeee, DO SOMETHING!

Edited by Jillia
Quote too long
  • Like 3
  • LOL 5

3 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Are we supposed to change it tonight or maybe there'll be another version of the story .... he he.

Haha!

I am still wondering if it is LG travelling once backwards or is there scope for more...

Anyway... i never thought it would just be LG so yes... i did not vote but I am a LoSEr 

:D

• Like 8

Man, what an episodeB)...

But yeah, time travel... and we hope it will stopped at the time when there are just two of them... BUT, it still wouldnt explain 

1. Where they will live, eventually, Korea or Corea?

2. So the future Lee Rim died, then what happens to his futute self? Hmmm

It great to see Lee Gon reach the right time to save JTE and nursed her to health, but he still have to go bk to his Empire.. so where does that leave JTE?:sweatingbullets:

And i still dont know why  it is JTE... there must be some back history of their past to make it their future destiny.

Man, im liking LMH more these days... :D

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
  • Awesome 1

Omg! This episode!!

I cried every time LG had to say bye to TE. I cried during the savior scene. I cried during the small TE scene. I cried when LG realized he has to travel 26 years to get to TE. My gah!!

I can’t even think properly right now. 

3 minutes ago, extrodinairey said:

Yeong's supposed to protect the King

-the King was poisoned

Yeong was supposed to protect TE

-TE was stabbed

ES is definitely better than Yeong #imjustsaying

BTW, I won. If only I can figure out how to change the dp. I had to google to find out what on earth is dp, guys :sweatingbullets:

i feel the same way and I love JY!! I don’t know what he is supposed to do anymore. Sighs.

lol, dp is basically your profile picture. You see where your circle ‘purple E’ is below your name. Honestly, I didn’t know it was called dp. I just know it is the profile picture. But I think a dp is another name :D you have to find a picture then make sure it’s the size required by Soompi (100x100 and you can convert it on a site) I believe then upload it to your profile picture on your profile page. I think tts how it’s done lol. Or you can do the other option for winners if u don’t wanna change ur picture :)

okay backtracking time!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I just finished watching ep 14 and OMG my mind is blown. How did KES come up with such an amazing storyline? She's truly a genius :rolleyes:

This episode confused the heck out of me. The payphone scene was so sad when LG was asking JTE to wait for him a little more. And that ending :tears::angry: why did Luna have to stab our queen? Really hating her at the moment. Also what was up with JY?

I need the next episode like right now...

Question: where is the 1994 LR who was able to escape the coup? And if the flute vanished, how was LG able to travel to KOC to the rowing event? I'm so confused. Guess we might get our answers in the next episode. 

I lost the poll so I guess I'm gonna have to change my DP :blink:

• Like 10