[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

5 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

They have to branch out things in order to give us the full mystery of this parallel world and the other elements within the drama so they have to mix things up. Yes there is 8 ep left and perhaps a 2nd season so there will be hopefully Lee Gon every single year :lol: I hope so

I don't think season 2 because they are criticized so much in Korea , this is so unreal for LMH unfortunately 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I binged both episode just recently. I liked them both but liked slightly 8th better than 7th one thing is for sure about this show you gotta finish it no matter what. It has that element of being undroppable and I drop quite alot of dramas I am ruthless when it comes to that. I drop a bunch of western, Chinese and Kdrama shows a year and a record amount. There are few shows that get me hooked like this one. It may not be entirely perfect as no drama can be perfect but it's DAMN undroppable and you gotta go all the way. It has the right amount of suspense and it's addictive 

• Like 11

I remember someone in this forum stated that in the last picture that Seung Ah takes during row competition, there were LR presence. I'm sorry if someone already answer this, but is that true LR's picture? If yes, why JY didn't report it? Did he not recognize him or there is other reason? 

Thank you for answering.

And the guy that selling water, i recognize him as the owner of budaejigae resto. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Heilo said:

I binged both episode just recently. I liked them both but liked slightly 8th better than 7th one thing is for sure about this show you gotta finish it no matter what. It has that element of being undroppable and I drop quite alot of dramas I am ruthless when it comes to that. I drop a bunch of western, Chinese and Kdrama shows a year and a record amount. There are few shows that get me hooked like this one. It may not be entirely perfect as no drama can be perfect but it's DAMN undroppable and you gotta go all the way. It has the right amount of suspense and it's addictive 

I Can attest to this. I tried it but the week later I was watching it:lol: Even tho I am not amongst the targetted audience. I am guy who mostly watches grity movies only since I am a genre viewer but I am stock and have to see it out 

• LOL 3
  • Awesome 2

3 hours ago, koreaboooo said:

Even as a young boy, I'm sure the people around LG would address him as prince, but why does SJ call him by his name? Definitely had to be his real mother's upbringing. Someone else think SJ may be LG's half brother but that would be a huge scandal

Hooo boy, that would be a scandal and one that's not all that impossible if SJ's real mom had been working at the palace for years and years.  Maybe she and LG's father grew up together, but obviously couldn't ever actually be together as he was the future king.  However, may also explain why SJ's real mom would have been desperate to figure out some way to get him as far from the palace and KOC as possible, especially after what happened with LR.  Lee Jong-in's children can't ever step foot in KOC due to LR's failed coup.  LG having a half-brother just suddenly popping out of the woodwork?  SJ would be dead.  

If SJ is LG's half-brother, I'd assume a shockingly alive LR showed up on her doorstep and threatened to expose her son's identity, which would have gotten him killed for sure.  He'd have forcibly coerced her instead to work for him/be his informant and her son would go on living (at least as long as LR allowed it) in a parallel world with a parallel version of her.

However, if only the bloodline of King Mumnu can use Manpasikjeok and if SJ is also LG's father's son?  Can he use the flute / open the doorway with it?  SJ would be as much a part of that bloodline as LR.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

We spent many times to watch KSJ's past life, now we know he's from Corea. If we will see how Gon and Young grew up together ?

Isn't it more necessary and worthy to describe the main lead's personality, his suffering and pain after getting hurt at 8, how he grew up well, and the bromance between Gon and Young since their chilhood ?

I'm afraid we will see more KSJ's past life since we didn't see why and how he came to Korea.  :wacko:

• Like 5
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, gtLmh0622 said:

We spent many times to watch KSJ's past life, now we know he's from Corea. If we will see how Gon and Young grew up together ?

Isn't it more necessary and worthy to describe the main lead's personality, his suffering and pain after getting hurt at 8, how he grew up well, and the bromance between Gon and Young since their chilhood ?

Yyyeeeesss!!

I’m cursing at writer Kim for not showing their backstory! :rage: 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, cpt_falcon said:

Hooo boy, that would be a scandal and one that's not all that impossible if SJ's real mom had been working at the palace for years and years.  Maybe she and LG's father grew up together, but obviously couldn't ever actually be together as he was the future king.  However, may also explain why SJ's real mom would have been desperate to figure out some way to get him as far from the palace and KOC as possible, especially after what happened with LR.  Lee Jong-in's children can't ever step foot in KOC due to LR's failed coup.  LG having a half-brother just suddenly popping out of the woodwork?  SJ would be dead.  

If SJ is LG's half-brother, I'd assume a shockingly alive LR showed up on her doorstep and threatened to expose her son's identity, which would have gotten him killed for sure.  He'd have forcibly coerced her instead to work for him/be his informant and her son would go on living (at least as long as LR allowed it) in a parallel world with a parallel version of her.

However, if only the bloodline of King Mumnu can use Manpasikjeok and if SJ is also LG's father's son?  Can he use the flute / open the doorway with it?  SJ would be as much a part of that bloodline as LR.

@cpt_falcon Maybe...KSJ is related to LG & LR. KSJ could be a royal too...a cousin of LG, probably? That's why he did not adhere to proper decorum & blatantly called out LG's name :ph34r:

I mean, if KSJ is of no importance, why LR bother to switch him to a gambling mother in the Republic of Korea...when his own real mother is crying her hearts out, just by looking at his photos in the Kingdom of Corea, right?

So, KSJ might be royal too. Related to LG, LR or the old professor prince :blink:

• Like 3

- The Ring that Prince Buyeong has in Ep8, LR wore the same one too in Ep1 - https://ibb.co/9n8NDMT

- The Shoes finally made its appearance lol
> Ep1 - https://ibb.co/z7NwLrb & https://ibb.co/K2vg9GF

> Ep8 - LG’s https://ibb.co/x8fZRHz

I think we can confirm LG does manage to time-travel to the past to save his young self, BUT I’m beginning to entertain the idea there might be 2 persons in this rescue mission. The other being SJ whom we know there’s a connection/relationship between the two which we will find out more soon enough.

> That’s LG for certain - https://ibb.co/17dzsDz

When SJ walked in on ES at the station where I got this nagging suspicion because they seem to share the same build

> Ep1 - https://ibb.co/HnfxPLL

> Ep8 - https://ibb.co/ys3BYxX

PS: Sorry for the links but I don’t know how to insert image urls, and the screenshots are large :sweatingbullets:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 6

1 hour ago, Ima04 said:

FYI, for korean to english, using naver papago is better than google translate. But english to koren sometimes google translate is better. both mostly translate banmal. Recently the papago app try to add jeondaemal in their system but now work most of the timr LoL..

I cannot hear clearly the other sentence but for PM, she said : is the king are not going to marry

And the last one, LG says : in my world, can you stay with me

@Ima04 Thank you !! So I downloaded it and I don't know if its better per say haha. That last two sentences LG says according to the Naver app is " Ive talked about my numbers before and I dont think its going to work." haha Are you able to translate Korean? If so could you provide a fully translated script of ep.9 preview? Thanks in advance !

• LOL 2

Looking at this drama reception and a piece of your mind drama shows how important Premiere week is.

If your show start is bad then your drama will be doomed. It is also got dragged by the sentiment from the GP. 

From the start the GP already didnt like Kim Go Eun beside Lee min ho. And thats already a minus for the drama. Not to forget the scandal from jung eun chae too add more fire.

The problem with the drama is that... it lacks the X factor for the drama. And if u compare it with goblin, the shows first episode looks the same. A history of the male lead and mostly boring one. But for goblin the drama pick up it pace quickly from episode 2 and never look back. You can see the premiere week rating is 6% but by the second week it is achieve 10%++ it is because the good reception of the first week premiere so the viewers like to watch the second week and build up the hype.

Take a look at The world of the married. The first episode premiere is so amazing that the rating jump out of the roof by second episode and growing like crazy. 

Also not to forget this drama seems to mix everything into 1 which is a mess.

Seriously why the hell we got a mix of everything but no cohessive glue to stick it up all together

1. A traitor prince who secretly change people from both worlds. So i guess revenge drama? Because he failed the first time.

2. A Murder case and the investigation which make this drama look like Mystery crime.

3. Doppelganger and whatever it is. Make this drama fantasy. 

4. Romance between Tae Ul and Lee gon. Ofcourse this is the main point of view and what most people came for. Am i right?? Romance drama.

5. Luna introduced so late into the drama like what?????? What will she do? Take tae ul position? Work together with lee lim? Dont understand why they introduce her so late.

6. Sin jae..... his backstory is so freaking long ffs and idgaf about his story with his mother who turn out not be his real mother. Lmaoooo 

7. Prime minister koo.. idk what is she doing either. What the point of her??? Being jealous to taeul ? Being the bad btch? 

8. The whole scheme created by lee lim that seems grand and big but believe me the public dont care about it. Because.... most of them watch for Lee Min Ho. HELL look at The legend of the blue sea. The plot is freaking simple. 

He was from the past and was in love with the mermaid. And then got reincernated and meet the mermaid again and fall in love with her again. 

Thats why the public keep watching it because it is not too heavy topic but keep you to try watch it.

But what about this drama???? Can you summarize the plot in short word?

Too many going on but no cohessive in the story and not to forget all the scandal with Jung eun chae and the japanese things + the sentiment from the GP for Kim go eun is the Starter kit for a disaster of the drama.

Even If you give an even A+ actor other than Lee min ho ( i myself categorized him as an A+ so i dont know who else is more better demand than him ) like Won Bin or Gong Yoo i dont think it can save the drama either.

If u ask me what to change...

1. Change the female lead. It is not the problem of Kim go eun ( she acts fine ) but she got her role already with Goblin and now people just compare her character here with goblin non stop. I think change it into a more mature Actress that had never been in KES drama would be great. Or even try a fresh or hidden gem actress just like how many people find out about han seo hee in twotm ( well i already know her from 100 days my prince ) but not the actress that work with KES already. That means no kim tae ri or song hye kyo or park shin hye.

2. Cut down the character so there is not too much going on for the drama.

Either dump out the Investigation team or the Prime minister from the story. It just make the drama runtime crowded without helping tbe story or the drama at all.

3. Lee lim as a final boss is fine to make this kind of revenge drama but not with mixing it with other random.things and not focus with the topic. If u want to focus with the romance with revenge as second topic then do it. But in here i dont even know what KES want to point out.

In short, this drama could do better if it had a better premiere week debut and a good reception from the GP but the bad reception and all the scandal involved make the drama shot themself that even Mighty Lee Min Ho couldnt help the drama. Hell if there is no LMH i dont think the drama could even stay above 5%. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

14 minutes ago, gtLmh0622 said:

I'm afraid we will see more KSJ's past life since we didn't see why and how he came to Korea.  :wacko:

Exactly, yeah when I said character development, as Heretorant said, probably wrong description. KGE and WDH get to do different roles, wanted change for LMH to a different side e.g. show more of his trauma, or I thought somewhere in the beginning, it said that LG was different privately than his public demeanor like he had secret demons. So far I have not seen that. Show a different side of him. That is what I mean, a dark private LG and a pleasant public persona. That was what I was expecting according to an initial synopsis about the drama. Something that show different LG. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Annyeong chinggus! Wow this thread is really moving at lightning speed and as always, I enjoy reading all your careful and detailed theories/explanations. I am all in awe with your brilliant minds. 

I can't really add on the theories but I would just like to express my love for Episode 8. That was such an epic episode! It was a literal rollercoaster of emotions. The episode revealed and explained a number of subplots and the mysterious storylines of characters are finally beginning to tie some loose ends. Aside from the fantasy, drama and sci-fi this series is slowly unfolding a new genre for me. I'm actually getting more and more nervious (and it reminds me when I watched Vagabond) I mean, this is  something I have definitely not seen before and I applaud KES for her brilliant and intricate mind.

And I guess what I loved most about this episode is against all the exciting happenings, there's always a small breathing room for you to enjoy the little things. The little things that deliver and convey the biggest message - that little love confession in the middle.. and I am not saying this because I'm a shipper (haha I know I am but hear me out) but because this is definitely a signature KES move. This is her beautiful writing shining and now I remember that feeling. That feeling of having my heart ache in the most beautiful way. The feeling of slowly accepting the consequences of loving a story that would definitely be my undoing in the future. 

ok i might have rambled but i love all of you and your great minds :wub:  We all hold on.

5a9ade287f82814ed06681bd343bb89045bb0aed

• Like 9
  • Love 3

I don’t understand knetizens. They hate KGE because she is a natural beauty but they also hate other actresses who have gone under the knife. They judge the drama will be a failure from the start without giving it a chance. And they are just nitpicking in their hatred. Really a CGI of a warships in a parallel universe that is a mirror of the real universe. This drama should have just aired in Netflix alone if the knetizens are ungrateful bunch who can never be pleased.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

32 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Yyyeeeesss!!

I’m cursing at writer Kim for not showing their backstory! :rage: 

I knowwww!! :bawling:  Does the writer think that Kang Shin Jae's backstory bring more impact as opposed to Lee Gon's backstory? LMH is the main lead. We need to to dig through his deep emotions. We saw flashback of Shin Jae getting bullied and how he fell in love with Tae Eul.  But did we get flashbacks of Lee Gon's growing up with Youngi? how about his fear and anger towards his father's killer? 

There was a scene where Lee Gon feels suffocated in the car and recalls LR and how LR hurt him. We could have had more scenes like that. 

With few scenes in the drama we could have figured that shin jae has nightmares+his mother gambles and goes to bookstore. It is that simple. I seriously don't understand this writer. The SECOND half should make up and really improve dramatically.  She needs to stop with all these backstories. Now, it is time to do some action. It is time for Lee Gon to confront LR. I don't want to wait until episode 15. :tears::bawling: This is not fair! I have been waiting for LMH come back drama for 4 years. 

I hope for LMH and KGE to come back with their own movies in the future. No drama for a while. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

I knowwww!! :bawling:  Does the writer think that Kang Shin Jae's backstory bring more impact as opposed to Lee Gon's backstory? LMH is the main lead. We need to to dig through his deep emotions. We saw flashback of Shin Jae getting bullied and how he fell in love with Tae Eul.  But did we get flashbacks of Lee Gon's growing up with Youngi? how about his fear and anger towards his father's killer? 

There was a scene where Lee Gon feels suffocated in the car and recalls LR and how LR hurt him. We could have had more scenes like that. 

They put LG's psychological issues in the back burner. He still hates being touched. Just letting JTE touch him shouldn't be a solution. And he still feels the attack from the flute stab on his neck.... They put too much emphasis on the new scar but I think that's going too overboard and they should just focus on the main issues at hand. LG is still dealing with the death of his father. Also he recovered too quickly as a child from mourning for days and then deciding to step up to be child king. In the front he can be strong, but they could show how in the background when he's alone or alone with JY, he would portray his weakness. LMH has done great crying scenes before. KES and PD's could've used that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Looking at this drama reception and a piece of your mind drama shows how important Premiere week is.

If you really look at the bigger picture all the noise came from solely only South Korea. There has been no bad international reception both overseas and in china and in fact they are eating it up. I think the reasons for the noise coming from Korea is due to politics. I believe some powerful hands are at play against KES/LMH due to the unprecedented scandals that were being released before the drama even aired. We had the actress with the 10 year old affair scandal followed by temple scandal and than followed by warship scandal to the point that they had to change the PD due to pressure of the media and the same powers have influence over the media largely and brought nothing but the heat on this drama SO in essence all the noise coming from SK was manufactured and all the scandals that follows it. 

KES mistake was tho not realizing that a storm was brewing for her as she should have graciously avoided going on SBS and just opt for Netflix as the show is already a hit for her and just focus on another season to follow this one. It was unnecessary for her going to SBS or any other channel in that matter which is the main cause as she generally didn't need the extra money from SBS. I think for her second season it should solely be on Netflix and avoid the drama that comes from SK and the media play being conducted by some powerful agencies who are out for her and LMH. It would be in her best interest to avoid it next time and market her drama away from them. As for the drama as awhole it's enjoying alot of success away from the drama it has been dragged into in SK mainly on the public TV. SK should really limit these agencies powers who are ruthless enough to release a 10 year old scandal before a drama airs 

• Like 6