[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

29 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

I also feel the pain of LMH's screen time.  I wonder if knetizens are commenting about his screen time vs KSJ's.  I also want more of my ship GonJo-Anyone can see how great LMH and WDH look together when they are in a scene together.  

Please no, I do not want KSJ to be related to LG in any way.  That would add to his screen time.  

Knetz said mostly in first ep "I could focus when LMH come " and we can see rating always drop when his screen time was so little 

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hikki said:

More likely sponsors play a major part. Netflix caters to an international audience BUT most of the products seen in the series are not available nor marketed outside SK. 

The Alley and Chicken BBQ can be found outside of SK. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

”Objectively speaking, the best scenes in quality today were LG's confrontation with LR's former bodyguard, LG's and Yeong's bromance and their face-off with Shin Jae. I'm sure those were the scenes most people who were watching got goosebumps from excitement.”

Yep!

I'm one of them who has goosebumps watching it without subtitles and the goosebumps intensified watching again with subtitles.

tenor.gif?itemid=15649863

That is how powerful the scenes at episode 8 are!

If everyone just focus on the story and not criticize on screen time and etc... I bet they will feel the same way too.

Unfortunately, some are just watching the drama to see LMH and not invest their time in the story that he is trying to tell.

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kboramint said:

The Alley and Chicken BBQ can be found outside of SK. 

Oh my. They have so many commercial involved inside the script. It was easy for everyone to take notice and also one of the reasons KES should ditch them alltogether. Good riddance to them :lol: I got chicken hungry while watching it and the need to destroy myself with alot of Soju drinks

• LOL 4

30 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

Can I break the atmosphere in here? 

Just look at them, they’re so happy and cute! :love:

I am so in love with this BTS. 

I dont know, 

But I feel something between this two. 

Their gesture is unusual 

At the scene, where LG hugged JTE's shoulder tightly, he rubbed JTE's shoulder so casually with his finger like he was used to do that. 

Eh

Hahaha, forget it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Ima04 said:

And the guy that selling water, i recognize him as the owner of budaejigae resto. 

Oh, that's right. Good observation. They are doppelgangers. From selling water bottles in Corea, Lee Rim must have lured him to cross the parallel world and be a budaejjigae resto owner in Korea. 

UaitmpQ.png

sFT4C0i.png

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Heilo said:

KES mistake was tho not realizing that a storm was brewing for her as she should have graciously avoided going on SBS and just opt for Netflix as the show is already a hit for her and just focus on another season to follow this one. It was unnecessary for her going to SBS or any other channel in that matter which is the main cause as she generally didn't need the extra money from SBS. I think for her second season it should solely be on Netflix and avoid the drama that comes from SK and the media play being conducted by some powerful agencies who are out for her and LMH. It would be in her best interest to avoid it next time and market her drama away from them. As for the drama as awhole it's enjoying alot of success away from the drama it has been dragged into in SK mainly on the public TV. SK should really limit these agencies powers who are ruthless enough to release a 10 year old scandal before a drama airs 

Netflix normally wants to air all the episodes at the same time. So, unless all the episodes are pre-produced I don't think that would happen. By putting it on SBS, they are forcing Netflix to have weekly episodes air. Also, if you want to talk about this forum. I don't think it would have so many posts if it was on Netflix only. All the fans would had seen it on week one, and the everyone would had talked about it after a week or two. 228 pages would been dwindled down to  20 pages.     

Just finished watching ep 8 and want to get few thoughts out first. I will be catching up with all your takes slowly as I am sure there would be quite a lot of shared insight after this week’s episodes. We have a lot of brilliant brains here!!

We are mid-way through already, some of our speculation has been confirmed with new clues and revelation from each new episode. The framework of this drama is not so different from other fantasy that deals with parallel universes. What’s different is how (journey) the writer would take us to what (the end). So far the journey is in line with what we have been speculating with no big surprise. Meanwhile the end is looking like leaning towards a sad but possible happy ending to me.

Our speculations that are confirmed but the new question arose.  

SJ was brought to RoK from Corea. We pointed this out in early May. The writer gradually revealed this to us over past few episodes and with big BANG realization by both LG and SJ himself in the end of ep 8. We also knew his real Corea mom was working as spy for LR in exchange for getting news about SJ and keeping him safe in RoK. My question is then why in 25 years LR did not try to influence SJ if he had plan to use him for his grand scheme? He clearly planted this seed. Or LR will just threaten SJ to comply with his two mothers’ life? Back in early May, I wrote that “SJ would turn dark and work with LR against LG but eventually do the right thing for King and JTE at the end”. Because of his love for JTE, he will become the sad hero and sacrifice himself while take down LR. He will be the dark knight.

Conversation between JTE and Na-ri in café confirmed the writer’s definition of parallel universe as we speculated. In fact, the entire conversation sounded like taken a page out of our discussion in this forum.  “One of doppelgangers always ends up dying. That’s the rule of universe”. “Otherwise chaos, one world will be bound to destroy the other world to keep balance.” Na-ri said “it can’t be our world (RoK)”. JTE looked worried. This also clarified that writer built parallel universe with one real world (RoK) and the other alternative (Corea). It’s not multiverse with more than two universes.  This narrows down the possibility of where Luna is from.  She either was born in or brough into Corea from RoK. There isn’t other option. I had ruled out Luna being born in Corea since there’s no family registry and no fingerprint or DNA record of her till she was arrested. So my thought on Luna hasn’t changed. She was brought into Corea from RoK in prior time loop. LR will try to exploit her for his plan to attack LG but fail to do so because Luna is JTE with same fundamental traits. She won’t be a pawn of LR.

I think the conversation with Na-ri at café  also made JTE  realize the impossibility of living with LG happily forever even if they were fated to meet. That realization lead to her early declaration of her love to LG because she decided to live for the moment and accept the separation when time comes. This to me foretell that she is leaving their future to  law of nature and won’t try to alter their fate by force.  

Add to first thoughts -  why does LR keep the mother of LG's doppelganger alive? Is it to hint at LG's doppelganger still alive somewhere in RoK? This is most intriguing point to me from this episode. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

4 minutes ago, kboramint said:

Netflix normally wants to air all the episodes at the same time. So, unless all the episodes are pre-produced I don't think that would happen. By putting it on SBS, they are forcing Netflix to have weekly episodes air. Also, if you want to talk about this forum. I don't think it would have so many posts if it was on Netflix only. All the fans would had seen it on week one, and the everyone would had talked about it after a week or two. 228 pages would been dwindled down to  20 pages.     

We here not here for the pages or discussion but to consume the content. I am mainly a strict consumer and religious binger. It would be great to binge it we all win at the end of the day:lol: Tho I am sure they could figure out a deal if they wanted to release per episode instead 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yuiy78 said:

I am so in love with this BTS. 

I dont know, 

But I feel something between this two. 

Their gesture is unusual 

At the scene, where LG hugged JTE's shoulder tightly, he rubbed JTE's shoulder so casually with his finger like he was used to do that. 

Eh

Hahaha, forget it. 

Where is this? I NEED to see it!! :lol:

Hehehe, you’re not alone. Many of us here feel the same way. Let’s call them really really good “friends.” :lol:

One thing we know for certain, they enjoy each other’s company. And if being good friends means I’ll see them being stinking cute for the next 4 weeks, then sign me up. 

Wow, we only have 4 weeks left to go. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Knetz said mostly in first ep "I could focus when LMH come " and we can see rating always drop when his screen time was so little 

Exactly!!  Most episodes, for about 15 minutes and sometimes even more (episode 3, 7,8)  we get story of investigation and detectives. Viewers were so excited about Lee Gon and Tae Eul reunion (Last scene of episode 6). Knetizens also left so many comment on Naver and said they were looking forward to this reunion. (You can read comments in previous pages and also Nave). It was such an emotional scene. But what happened? beginning of episode 7 we got some useless stuff instead of the reunion. When the reunion happened, it was cut so short and we transition to comedy. why?? They should have focused on LG and JT feelings!!  Feelings are what makes viewers involved. Feelings make viewers to care and continue to watch. They need to focus on feelings more and focus less on doppelganger and murder cases. Why do you think people say LG and JT don't have chemistry? It is because their scenes are usually cut short and they advertise this and that when they meet. This problem can easily be solved. KES is not an amateur writer. She should know all this better than us. For the second half, we should start with the leads (please!!!) and hook people. That is the answer. OST plays a crucial role too. I don't want to give up yet!! We have 8 more episodes to go. This drama can finish with a strong note. Dear writer and PD, you can do this. We even have 1 more PD in our team. I expect more next week. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, mrsj3n said:

Lastly, sometimes I don't understand human.

Kim Goeun received so much criticism for her look and I'm upset that they even incorporated plastic surgery into the drama for her.

Is that necessary?

She's a natural beauty and I love the way she looks.

Double eyelids will spoil that beautiful face of hers.

I wish they can just stay away from her drama if they can't stand her and stop criticising her.

I remembered during Goblin time, she even has to delete her first instsgram account because of the criticism of her without make up on her HOLIDAY at the beach?!

For goodness sake, who wears make up to the beach?

This. The constant comment about the way she looks is pretty annoying honestly. Even so whenever haters say that her looks are not at par with her partner's looks. Like come on man, you are really going there? She is beautiful. She has the type of face that gets prettier the longer you stare at it. I know not all LMH fans is like that,  but I hope they'd stop blaming KGE about the way she looks and compare it with other former drama partners of LMH coz that is unfair. KGE deserves her role. The people behind the casting believe so that's why they chose her. 

4 hours ago, HeoJoonJae said:

In the past, Lee Min Ho could sell disgusting richard simmons and the GP would still devour it... Now he cannot even hit double digits ratings. Perhaps he should consider transferring to Mainland China, because he is still wanted there... I am so sad:tears:

Is it that bad? I don't think so. When LMH posted his pic with KGE in his IG, after 5 minutes, it already had 500k likes. I don't think that means he lost his star power already. He even raised his IG followers by a 100k in just almost 2 days! Some people in Korea are over hyping the ratings that TKEM received, without taking into consideration that it does sooooo well in Netflix and other video streaming platforms. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

2 minutes ago, Nikaa94 said:

Exactly!!  Most episodes, for about 15 minutes and sometimes even more (episode 3, 7,8)  we get story of investigation and detectives. Viewers were so excited about Lee Gon and Tae Eul reunion (Last scene of episode 6). Knetizens also left so many comment on Naver and said they were looking forward to this reunion. (You can read comments in previous pages and also Nave). It was such an emotional scene. But what happened? beginning of episode 7 we got some useless stuff instead of the reunion. When the reunion happened, it was cut so short and we transition to comedy. why?? They should have focused on LG and JT feelings!!  Feelings are what makes viewers involved. Feelings make viewers to care and continue to watch. They need to focus on feelings more and focus less on doppelganger and murder cases. Why do you think people say LG and JT don't have chemistry? It is because their scenes are usually cut short and they advertise this and that when they meet. This problem can easily be solved. KES is not an amateur writer. She should know all this better than us. 

Ahh really I want to forget this , Pd really fooled us , still annoying we wait 30-35 minutes :tears: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, pixie0622 said:

Like that scene with LG’s doppelgänger’s mom: when she said that “they” will bring her back to life again, director showed her wrist scars. My take is that she’s tried to kill herself several times (having caused her child’s death indirectly) but LR didn’t let her die. But others here interpret this as she’s time-traveled. I don’t like it when I’m confused :unsure:

She is still at ROK. 25 years ago when LL talked about her and her husband's death, he forced her not to accuse her and has to live with him (like a wife). I think LL likes LG’s doppelgänger’s mom because she's beautiful too.
So in last week's episodes, there was a scene where LL went back and told her to eat alone or she went out to eat. She was provided with all her material needs, but she was closely monitored everywhere.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, romance06 said:

She is still at ROK. 25 years ago when LL talked about her and her husband's death, he forced her not to accuse her and has to live with him (like a wife). I think LL likes LG’s doppelgänger’s mom because she's beautiful too.
So in last week's episodes, there was a scene where LL went back and told her to eat alone or she went out to eat. She was provided with all her material needs, but she was closely monitored everywhere.

That would be too much scandal on top of if SJ's real mom really had an affair with LG's father because would that mean LR had liked LG's mother? My brain is already going in loops with our other clues. :sweat_smile:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

9 hours ago, Cara said:

uhmm but they already promised us since ever the official teaser as "Another level of a love story" :D

Uhmm but their love story is anything but extraordinary. I am probably a minority here who wishes this drama cuts back on its romance. 

• Like 2

Are there any theories that ROK and KOC are merging into one world?  Remember what Nari said about dopplegangers and that they have to kill them because  only one can exist? There can only be one world? But then again, she does seem to be wearing a foil hat. NASA is hiding aliens?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

Every EP's first part looks like PD/Writer working hard for send out viewers

why do they do this? For every episode, the rating for second part is higher. They should know this by now. 

• Like 1