[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

2 hours ago, cpt_falcon said:

If anything goes further between them coughLikeSleepingTogethercough, I'd bet JTE initiates that too, again, not wanting to waste a single moment with him and/or fearing it may be their last moments together, so she wants to experience as much as she absolutely can with the man she loves thinking she's never going to see him again.  Not wanting to have any regrets.

Though if that does happen, as I self-indulgently can't stop thinking about my post earlier?  I feel like if JTE keeps showing initiative as she's been, that post is a direction the story could go.

I pray that this will happen next week. LOL. She has a very strong character and KGE portrays it really well. 

Re: time travel, I am wondering if time travel will only be possible with the flute being joined together? Or time travel can be done even if it is cut in half? I guess we have to wait for the next episodes to know the answer. 

• Like 3

EXlrJBQU4AIAGkX?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I LOVED this scene, too.  The look of realization acted superbly by both actors.   SJ realizing that his dreams are real—that he IS more than what he thinks.   LG realizing that his people are at risk, being played like pawns by a traitor playing God with people’s lives.  

I foresee the next episodes to be the battle between good and evil.  There will be a lot of role-switching too.  People determining where to stand.  Or at least that’s where I wish it to be.  

I also feel that the romance is kinda off-putting. Don’t misunderstand me—I love me some good romance.  But the way it plays out here is a bit staged. Not unlike the many PPLs—It’s there because it needs to be there not because it’s intrinsic to the story.  The way it’s laid out, LG and JTE have real reasons to work together whether they love each other or not.  But maybe in the end,  this Love will come to bear on the decision/s they would have to make.  Will the answer or solution be as beautiful as the question or problem?  Asking for a friend. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, kboramint said:

Did they ever explain how the girl who works at the alley (cafe) can afford two expensive cars?? 

Are you talking about Nari? She owns that cafe. She also owns other properties. JTE's father rents their home and taekwondo place from her. Nari is pretty well-off maybe in the higher end of the middle class spectrum. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, mamabear said:

I pray that this will happen next week. LOL. She has a very strong character and KGE portrays it really well. 

Re: time travel, I am wondering if time travel will only be possible with the flute being joined together? Or time travel can be done even if it is cut in half? I guess we have to wait for the next episodes to know the answer. 

Again, JTE is clearly a woman who shows initiative and goes after what she wants when she sets her mind to something. ;)

Re: time travel:   The way I'm leaning is similar.  That time travel isn't possible unless the flute is mended.  Obviously we don't know how time travel works in this particular story yet, but usually how time travel is depicted in stories (including "Back to the Future" per JTE's phone case), it takes an incredible effort.  It rarely ever comes easily.  It'd make more sense to me only a mended flute, at it's fullest capacity, could accomplish this.  If this is the case, this is someone with an already mended flute traveling around in time. I'd also hope, like King Arthur's Excalibur or the Holy Grail, Manpasikjeok (at it's full power) can only be wielded by someone who is worthy of it if they're meant to use it.  Someone who won't abuse it's power.  Because that would be a frightening amount of power for someone like, for example, LR to be wielding.  Clearly that's why he wants the whole flute so badly, but I wouldn't expect him to ever get it (or if he does, it destroys him before he's allowed to use it).

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

5 minutes ago, Heretorant said:

She owns the entire building and the cafe :)

4 minutes ago, koreaboooo said:

Are you talking about Nari? She owns that cafe. She also owns other properties. JTE's father rents their home and taekwondo place from her. Nari is pretty well-off maybe in the higher end of the middle class spectrum. 

Thank You for answering. 

• Love 1

Watched Episode 8 and Somewhat caught with this thread. Overall i love the episode and we get a lot more things clarified in terms of getting the plot moving and things are starting to align. Yay!!!!

Im Gonna start with what I don't like.

1). LG character development. This is to also clarify my earlier post about Shin jae Development. To be Clear, i don't hate Shin jae or KKN, and i was one of the people who didn't complain about him taking up sometimes to be develop in Episode 3, because i fully understand the need for his character to be develop but i wish it could be cut down a bit. And i love a show that doesn't solely focus on the main character. While I am not KES hardcore fan, that's the one thing i love about her drama, she makes interesting side Character and develop them well. But i notice in some of her Drama, she can forget about her main Character (Goblin and Heir). I hope she won't do that here. My main thing is, Im not asking for shower scene or yet another PPL involving LMH. I'm asking for his character to be fleshed out More. I get Lee Gon, I understand why he did the things He did, i can see why he is in love with JTE and we have seen some plots given to us to understand how his mind work (Approach, problem solving, he is smart) but i guess i don't feel fully connect/invested in his character. Out of the 5 main characters I feel like LG and the PM lady are the least develop character. and I feel Like they used LMH so much for the ppl scene. I get that he is the brand ambassador, but some of it it's too obvious. And to be fair this is also how i felt towards WDH character, for awhile. ep1-4, i feel like WDH was way under utilize, i haven't seen his work, but just from watching him here, i get his hype. while his character was subtle in the beginning, he nailed it!. Although JTE is not fully fleshed either, but she got a lot of screen time and she freaking did it for her second role, and for that, as a fan I am really happy for her. Maybe is just not LG time yet to be develop

2).The Love Confession. I know i know..... this is not a romance Drama, and i have put the romance in the back burner and take it as it is. I ship KGE and LMH so much that i will take whatever is given to me through this Drama.But..... Still... I feel like they could do the confession a little less, idk, the scene seems came out of nowhere, and since we are getting very little romance in this drama, i wish we could get a scene that doesn't seems force, and I'm not saying JTE confession is force. But it's being portray that She just want to check on him and decided last minute to say it (I get the premonition and this might be her only chance)but it seems a little less intentional and i get that LG is surprised, but "ditto" as answer???? (unless my Netflix subs is wrong). But there are other areas of the romance that i like and this one i can forgive :)

3). Also the super obvious PPL. I don't mind that they are drinking the coffee and eating all the chicken, but the lines "Hmmm we didn't have this sauce", "This taste like the coffee i drink". Wish for more subtle ppl in the near future.

So now on to the good stuff.

1) WDH playing dual character and the smooth transition he did. Smooth indeed

2) the opening scene is thrilling and suspense. KGE and JEC Scene is good.

3) Finally we know what happen with the ID and who has it now.

4) LG confrontation scene is really good. We get to see a bit more of LG non Easy going side. He was enraged and he could kill that person right there, but he is still being smart and will do it properly

5). The scene Where Shin Jae Realize that he is from KOC. That is soo well shot and acted from all participant. I hope we can get more scene with that vibe since we've establish that this is more of a fantasy/sci-fi crime drama with romance and comedy sprinkle on it

6). Le gon are aware that His uncle is 1000 steps a head of Him but he is a smarty pants and he pick things up real quick. But i wonder who can he work with since God knows how many people Bad Uncle has replace in his palace

7). I like how they showed the pregnant lady transition into her Dopplegangers. We have been slowly showed how Lee Rim is switching people. you see the pattern, He lured the unfortunate and offer a better life on the other side.

And more info about Lee Rim, He owns Gambling business and also Hospital?hmmm.... im not even gonna try to guess or find out how the hell did he get all the money to start it all off. There are something i let it be unknown i this show hehe..

8). I love how straightforward our FL is , a girl knows what she wants. And while we don't have an epic romance, i love that their relationship is very mature and i can relate, it's not over the top but we get to see LG in Boyfriend mode. No Noble idiocy and they are very much aware what they are up against and they bring it up in a healthy and mature conversation. While maintaining their goal to stop the chaos LR has been creating

What the cast is saying is True, the episode is getting better and better, but i feel like the PD/Editor missed an opportunity to engage the viewer. Kdrama mostly super engaging in the beginning and slow in the middle and wrap up at the end. And since people already invested in the character they endure those Blah episodes in the middle because they want to know what happen with the characters, and with this Drama, you have to get pass the first 4 episode and slowly finding yourself wanting more and more after each episode which is good and i love it, but the show might lost it's early viewer because of this pacing. and i read and hear a lot of people saying "It's confusing and I will just wait until it's done and i'll catch it online". I still think it's a great Drama and it's refreshing to see my fave actors chose a different Drama than usual and im really invested in the storyline, but i see and understand why people didn't get invested through the first 4 episodes. Like @Heretorant said KES has done amazing job fleshing out multiple characters in Mr. Sunshine but that Drama has 24 episode and The King only have 16. And at this point, i am less concern about ratings (i know it's really important but there is not much us International viewer can do), and more about how KES will wrap up this drama as a whole. I truly hope it will be a cohesive one.

• Like 16
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, cpt_falcon said:

My guess is the the father was the one approached by LR for whatever Faustian deal.  Whether he knew about an actual switch between his real (and sick/dying?) son and an identical boy from a parallel universe?  I don't know, it's possible he did.  Like it didn't matter what it cost him or whatever it took, just as long as his son (or at least a boy so exactly like his son, the differences or where he came from didn't matter) would survive.  What did LR ask for in exchange?  Probably SJ's father's entire fortune/business and that's how/why the family became ruined & destitute.  LR seems to be collecting rich people / their companies for whatever his ends.

That might be how LR managed to become a rich man overnight in a world where he had nothing...

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, scrawford said:

2).The Love Confession. I know i know..... this is not a romance Drama, and i have put the romance in the back burner and take it as it is. I ship KGE and LMH so much that i will take whatever is given to me through this Drama.But..... Still... I feel like they could do the confession a little less, idk, the scene seems came out of nowhere, and since we are getting very little romance in this drama, i wish we could get a scene that doesn't seems force, and I'm not saying JTE confession is force. But it's being portray that She just want to check on him and decided last minute to say it (I get the premonition and this might be her only chance)but it seems a little less intentional and i get that LG is surprised, but "ditto" as answer???? (unless my Netflix subs is wrong). But there are other areas of the romance that i like and this one i can forgive :)

This scene seem me looks like "I was just passing through and I said that I confess my love" really? Writer/Pd why should this important scene be so careless in the road? Even OST can't be hear well ,KES/PD really don't care it, Can't they care just 1/2 romance scene? We know this isn't romace but just they should care 1/2 romance scene better

Maybe road is better than chicken store I am not sure now  :lol:

• Like 4

Two quick notes ...

In the first episode when JTE & SJ are interrogating a bloody LR - one of them looks down at an information sheet - It has a modified ying/yang shield symbol on it. Thats part of the Corea flag right? It looks different than the normal Korea police shield - I think alot more is going on in that interrogation scene than the first episode let on.

Also in the first episode when LR is narrating the powers of the flute, he mentions, among other things that it has the power to cure disease - If that's true, and if the flute can be reforged, perhaps Luna's cancer can be cured - perhaps a deal is struck that brings her into the Kings service.

All the recent revelations, they just spawn more questions .... loving it!

LCO

• Like 9

So, if Shin Jae is from KOC then one has to ask, how did he get to ROK? Why does he remember Lee Gon mourning but not anything else after that. Also, it seems the Prime Minister is finding out she has a doppleganger. What is the villian's plan for her? Is he going to replace her?  

Also, we assume that is JTE with Shin Jae in the beginning of the first episode but could that be Luna?  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, leeminhosny said:

This scene seem me looks like "I am just passing through and I said that I confess my love" really? Writer/Pd why should this important scene be so careless in the road? Even OST can't be hear well ,KES/PD really don't care it, Can't they care just 1/2 romance scene? We know this isn't romace but just they should care 1/2 romance scene better

Maybe road is better than chicken store I am not sure now  :lol:

Exactly why haters say they have no chemistry but then when we watch the BTS, it's overflowing with cuteness. KES/PD can't even write good romance scenes for LMH and KGE. It feels like they focused too much on the plot they sometimes forgot about the main characters like what happened with today's episode. I'm glad the episode is unveiling a lot, but I think they unveiled too much too late that they weren't able to split scenes evenly for all the characters. It also makes for earlier episodes being too slow for some people when they could've showed more. Maybe the 16 ep is too little for this type of plot. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Umjicheok said:

PM is getting closer to parallel world too.

PM's mother is getting closer to Lee lim's identity.

PM's mother will get herself in trouble with LR and that will push the PM to LR's side.

Another option is PM's mom remains on the King's side and somehow helps The King and his men.

Just a clarification: I was speculating -- What if JTE is able to infiltrate the evil uncle's side while Luna is captured by King. Chances of this are minimal -- King and SJ don't know that uncle has been keeping a watch or know of JTE. LG has an inkling but not enough of the real danger. Also, King would never allow it. 

Maybe it is just me but I feel that the King, JTE and SJ are still not sharing all the information. The King doesn't tell JTE about him+JY's visit to the restaurant and JTE doesn't tell him about the new murder case. SJ hasn't shared the young Korean LG's file with JTE.

*Edited

5 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

I think alot more is going on in that interrogation scene than the first episode let on.

The clock is moving backwards for the audience? That scene is similar to the scenes where they are ending each episode. Last 5 minutes have a backstory that can last 30 minutes (example: JTE/LG hug in episode 6, i think)

• Like 6